PDA

View Full Version : Telling people you own an Executive Condo is embarrassing

Montaigne
01-10-15, 16:57
Not from me. A friend told me this when I discussed my option of getting an EC after the new income ruling. He owns a LH99. To me, an EC is a better buy than his LH99 Hedges park, but he think otherwise and said It is embarrassing when people hear you own an EC because EC are for people who craves for rich condo life yet can't afford. So by getting an EC, you are telling people that you are that category, so it's embarrassing, rather stay HDB.

I am surprised by his analogy. I hope not many people categorised EC owners this way. If I get an EC eventually, that is because I want to enjoy condo facilities at a fraction of the price, not to show off as I know staying in an EC has nothing to show off as it is just a high class public housing for 10 years. By then, both building and person already old what's there to show off?

Perhaps he is being a sour grape for not being able to buy EC due to him being not eligible when he bought his PC?

What do you think?

Kelonguni
01-10-15, 18:03
You must be very clear on your reasons and your choices. Nobody can explain it better than yourself. And it matters to no one but yourself.

Not from me. A friend told me this when I discussed my option of getting an EC after the new income ruling. He owns a LH99. To me, an EC is a better buy than his LH99 Hedges park, but he think otherwise and said It is embarrassing when people hear you own an EC because EC are for people who craves for rich condo life yet can't afford. So by getting an EC, you are telling people that you are that category, so it's embarrassing, rather stay HDB.

I am surprised by his analogy. I hope not many people categorised EC owners this way. If I get an EC eventually, that is because I want to enjoy condo facilities at a fraction of the price, not to show off as I know staying in an EC has nothing to show off as it is just a high class public housing for 10 years. By then, both building and person already old what's there to show off?

Perhaps he is being a sour grape for not being able to buy EC due to him being not eligible when he bought his PC?

What do you think?

Arcachon
01-10-15, 18:18
Live your own life, not others.

MrTan
01-10-15, 19:10
U must have taken his comments/remarks so seriously to heart that u have started a new thread on this on top of after having extensive discussion on similar in another thread. Be more self confident. Be less self conscious. Then happier u will be. Anyway, he dun like EC, u dun like LH. U 2 can have a fruitful discussion already wor. :)

pluto
01-10-15, 19:52
I always believed cost and worth are two totally different things and there is no such thing as best of both worlds in this society.
In life, you win some, you lose some.

If you put into context a very general example of " your analogy" for strictly homebuyers not investors entering market now*. EC owners win more space and cash but lose more face. PC owners win more face but lose more space and cash.
Depends on what you want to win more or lose more.

At least I am sure of what I like in a project and not just paying more for PC just for face and pride. Although at times, I would think why not just get EC, I get so much more space at less price but I am certain of what I like in a project, the quality, overall design and facilities all matters therefore PC is my choice.
It really depends on what you need and want in a home, and remember needs and wants are to different things, space is a need, face is a want.

Montaigne
01-10-15, 21:15
Haha, perhaps he has shed a totally different light to a simple choice which to me, it's unexpected. I am affected, yes, perhaps because we are close friends, his views matter hence affected me. If i hear it from some stranger, perhaps my reaction will differ.

teddybear
01-10-15, 21:56
Your friend's statement is not right: EC is still much better than HDB flats, even if don't consider anything else (like quality of furnishings etc), the fact that EC comes with facilities (vs HDB flats none) is already another notch up...................

There is really nothing wrong with having better living environment (having cleaners to clean up the place everyday vs HDB estate's once a week), living in estate that comes with better facilities, and safer environment with security guards etc, as long as you can afford it!

What do you think?

focus
01-10-15, 22:04
ECs was a good buy when they did not cap the size of the ECs.
Now, maybe it is not a good buy if you are buying same suburb .. EC vs PC .. both got tiny 3bedrooms.

amk
01-10-15, 22:33
What do you think?

Interesting, your friend didn't tell you the most common statement "face conscious" ppl will say : "buying EC is telling the world our combined income is less than 14k ! Why would I want to do that ?? "

Snob factor aside, strictly for investment purpose, EC is a poor choice compared to PC : the 10yr restriction alone is enough, opportunity cost is huge. (dun underestimate your own achievement. 10y is a long time. You dun want to see a situation where you can't monetize it when you need/want to)

The truth is, EC is indeed for the segment between HDB and PC. It is best served for that purpose.

irisng
02-10-15, 08:46

What do you think?

I don't see why staying in EC is embarrassing. If say staying in EC is embarrassing, how about those who stay in 2 room HDB flat, is it that they have to hide somewhere, cannot see people and cannot tell people where they stay, very ridiculous right? We should be lucky to stay in Singapore where everybody has a chance to own a house, whether HDB 1 room, 2 room and so on. I have a friend who stay in a 3 room HDB flat, long time never see her and one day I met her, when she knew that I stay in EC, she felt a bit embarrassed that she only stays in a 3 room HDB flat but I think there is nothing wrong with staying what type of flat as long as you don't steal etc, afterall everybody bought it with their own money, already not easy liao.

irisng
02-10-15, 09:03
In fact, most of my friends stay in HDB flats but I also have a friend who owned 2 landed property (one Semi-D and one terrace house, semi-D for own stay and terrace house for rental). I have another very very close friend, own 1 corner terrace house, 3 private condos and 3 commercial properties but I don't feel embarrass in front of them, in fact they invited my whole family every year during CNY to their house to celebrate. So there is nothing wrong with where you stay.

Kelonguni
02-10-15, 09:08
In fact, most of my friends stay in HDB flats but I also have a friend who owned 2 landed property (one Semi-D and one terrace house, semi-D for own stay and terrace house for rental). I have another very very close friend, own 1 corner terrace house, 3 private condos and 3 commercial properties but I don't feel embarrass in front of them, in fact they invited my whole family every year during CNY to their house to celebrate. So there is nothing wrong with where you stay.

The more I read, the more I sort of have a sensing.

Maybe the friend just doesn't like the feeling that people know how much he earns???

Actually its ok one, just say I bought it 10 years ago when my income still qualifies.

meow123
02-10-15, 10:07
I don't see why staying in EC is embarrassing. If say staying in EC is embarrassing, how about those who stay in 2 room HDB flat, is it that they have to hide somewhere, cannot see people and cannot tell people where they stay, very ridiculous right? We should be lucky to stay in Singapore where everybody has a chance to own a house, whether HDB 1 room, 2 room and so on. I have a friend who stay in a 3 room HDB flat, long time never see her and one day I met her, when she knew that I stay in EC, she felt a bit embarrassed that she only stays in a 3 room HDB flat but I think there is nothing wrong with staying what type of flat as long as you don't steal etc, afterall everybody bought it with their own money, already not easy liao.

yes, why bother about what people thinks?

though I disagree with the concept of ECs... but as long as one is happy and productive to the society, it suffices.

I agree with irisng.

watchlist88
02-10-15, 14:14
“HUMBLENESS” is a virtue that all of us should try our best to emulate.

Look down upon others and there is always someone who looks down upon you. Befriend those who really deserve to be friends. You don’t need many friends, esp. those who are superficial on the surface, do not give good advice or wants to gain something out of you. You only need a few close lifetime friends who are truly friends in good and bad times.

There is no need to lead your life on what others think of you. There is never an end to it. Be sure with what you really want and hope to achieve will suffice.

Montaigne
02-10-15, 15:24
Interesting, your friend didn't tell you the most common statement "face conscious" ppl will say : "buying EC is telling the world our combined income is less than 14k ! Why would I want to do that ?? "

Snob factor aside, strictly for investment purpose, EC is a poor choice compared to PC : the 10yr restriction alone is enough, opportunity cost is huge. (dun underestimate your own achievement. 10y is a long time. You dun want to see a situation where you can't monetize it when you need/want to)

The truth is, EC is indeed for the segment between HDB and PC. It is best served for that purpose.

Yes he did mentioned about the $14K income which he felt embarrassing too. But he emphasise on the part where when his clients ask where he stays, saying that it's an EC is embarrassing. His job is PR related hence it's important to keep up a good image overall. And to him that includes where he stays haha.

Thanks to the existence of EC, LH99 PC segment will be hit hardest with new income ruling. But after hearing what my friend said, there will still be demand for it for those in the income bracket. But just how many people will be that face conscious.

Kelonguni
02-10-15, 16:51
Yes he did mentioned about the $14K income which he felt embarrassing too. But he emphasise on the part where when his clients ask where he stays, saying that it's an EC is embarrassing. His job is PR related hence it's important to keep up a good image overall. And to him that includes where he stays haha.

Thanks to the existence of EC, LH99 PC segment will be hit hardest with new income ruling. But after hearing what my friend said, there will still be demand for it for those in the income bracket. But just how many people will be that face conscious.

Hard to say for sure. But even after the announcement for 14K eligibility, some ECs are sold at 20% rate, which might give an indication. But lots of other factors affecting.