PDA

View Full Version : EC or Freehold private 2015 onwards

Montaigne
27-09-15, 17:37
Think now, many are eligible for EC. So it's no longer comparing EC vs private LH condo, but rather EC vs FH condo.

I think if choosing between EC vs private LH in same area, the answer is clear cut. Choose EC. However, what would be the wiser choice between EC and freehold private same area, Assuming psf of EC around 700psf, freehold 1100psf same location, size etc?

Hope for some non biased insights.

Sorry double post as i posted in wrong thread. Can't delete that thread.

Arcachon
27-09-15, 18:06
Depend on what you buy for, investment or self stay.

For investment, what is the time, 5, 10, 20 40.....

Then depends on what do you have, what is your monthly salary etc.

Maybe you can be more specific.

pluto
27-09-15, 18:12
If comparing just PSF price, cannot complain, EC bigger, cheaper and better for bigger families. Now It's rare to even see Freehold, how to compare.

Ec is strictly own stay, can't buy another property for investment or sell for 9 years ( 4 year construction)
Quality is very different. Not only furnishings but overall quality of the entire development, I been to a EC showflat last month, PVC door. LOL

To me, all depends on quality, now you want cheap, there's cheap, you want expensive, there's plenty, no need to debate which is better is which you like better.
Of course you buy cheap, don't expect expensive.

Montaigne
27-09-15, 18:32
I meant those eligible for EC, income below 14k. For own stay, but ultimately housing is still an investment. Retirement will downgrade to hdb and cash out. Cos am thinking. Now for those eligible for EC, will there be anyone buying LH private for long term investment cum own stay? I doubt. So unless it's something different, like FH status which EC lack. So is it worth getting a FH over EC in such a case say psf difference of $400?

Kelonguni
27-09-15, 18:37
EC and FH condo both usually are not in the more central locations. Else for FH near central locations can be very expensive or very old. The land value is attractive like good Art I agree.

House as investment - only for multiple properties. So does EC or FH or LH condo help achieve investment objectives? It depends.

I meant those eligible for EC, income below 14k. For own stay, but ultimately housing is still an investment. Retirement will downgrade to hdb and cash out. Cos am thinking. Now for those eligible for EC, will there be anyone buying LH private for long term investment cum own stay? I doubt. So unless it's something different, like FH status which EC lack. So is it worth getting a FH over EC in such a case say psf difference of $400?

propertycarrots
27-09-15, 18:40
IMO:

-EC vs 99LH same age, same location difference 15% +/-. 99LH vs FH same age, same location difference 15% +/-

-700psf EC vs 1100 psf 99LH PC : EC wins

- Additionally even if you have extra cash to buy 2x PC (1 stay 1 invest) as per the article today: http://www.straitstimes.com/business/invest/so-you-want-to-buy-a-second-property#xtor=CS1-10, unless the investment unit can hit a min of 5% yield, I dont see this as a viable option

The above should apply for both for stay and/or investment

Arcachon
27-09-15, 19:01

You are right if EC and LH is side by side, but most of the time they are way apart.

Maybe you can show me any EC near Southbank LH, hope you can find one.

Although Singapore is so......... big.

https://www.google.fr/maps?espv=2&q=southbank+condo&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&biw=1680&bih=877&dpr=1&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIvNOjhoiXyAIVyKsaCh3gwQAE

Sandiwara
27-09-15, 21:42
If comparing just PSF price, cannot complain, EC bigger, cheaper and better for bigger families. Now It's rare to even see Freehold, how to compare.

Ec is strictly own stay, can't buy another property for investment or sell for 9 years ( 4 year construction)
Quality is very different. Not only furnishings but overall quality of the entire development, I been to a EC showflat last month, PVC door. LOL

To me, all depends on quality, now you want cheap, there's cheap, you want expensive, there's plenty, no need to debate which is better is which you like better.

I agree. It is never Apple to apple comparison

Montaigne
27-09-15, 22:50
IMO:

-EC vs 99LH same age, same location difference 15% +/-. 99LH vs FH same age, same location difference 15% +/-

-700psf EC vs 1100 psf 99LH PC : EC wins

I agree EC wins in above example. What I meant is if the PC is FREEHOLD, not LH. EC 700psf vs FREEHOLD PC 1100psf? Which will u choose?

Montaigne
27-09-15, 22:53
You are right if EC and LH is side by side, but most of the time they are way apart.

Maybe you can show me any EC near Southbank LH, hope you can find one.

Although Singapore is so......... big.

https://www.google.fr/maps?espv=2&q=southbank+condo&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&biw=1680&bih=877&dpr=1&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIvNOjhoiXyAIVyKsaCh3gwQAE

Example will be Mi Casa and Rain forest. Both LH tho.

irisng
27-09-15, 23:23

I thought EC owners can sell their condo after 5 years but only to the locals and after 10 years can sell to foreigners. Is it that the law has changed?

You mean the main door is PVC? Very surprisingly, I'm staying in EC but all my doors are made of solid woods and main door is very heavy, is it nowadays in order to save cost, they use such a cheap materials?

irisng
27-09-15, 23:39
IMHO, I think whether EC or FH, it depends on your liking, preference and budget. Recently I have a new neighbour (not in the same block), she told me that she had sold her LH private condo (which is near to shopping malls, bus interchange and future MRT) and bought this EC (which do not have the same amenities as her previous condo) but near to market. I asked her why she wanted to change and she said because this EC is bigger as compared to her previous condo, she needs a bigger space.

Arcachon
28-09-15, 00:03
I thought EC owners can sell their condo after 5 years but only to the locals and after 10 years can sell to foreigners. Is it that the law has changed?

You mean the main door is PVC? Very surprisingly, I'm staying in EC but all my doors are made of solid woods and main door is very heavy, is it nowadays in order to save cost, they use such a cheap materials?

Wow, main Door PVC. Must be fire rated PVC super strong PVC.

Arcachon
28-09-15, 00:04
Example will be Mi Casa and Rain forest. Both LH tho.

Now I am confuse, what are you trying to find out.

pluto
28-09-15, 00:37

Yes the EC showflat I viewed had PVC doors, the agent was honest when I asked. I don't want to name to offend the owners of the project here. They know
9 years from sales and purchase agreement, 4 years for Ec to build and 5 years occupancy to sell

Not only finishings and overall quality. ECs now have over 1000 + units. It's not exclusive to me if the development is so big and after 5 years of occupancy, prices will be competitive if 100-200 of the 1000 wants to sell, supply more than demand, buyers can haggle to their maximum advantage, I advise my friends to take the better facing in EC if the price difference is not that much and the main draw for EC is the space.

I agree It all depends on your own set of criteria and budget like so many here insist on near mrt, I avoid near mrt projects, i want smth of quality and exclusivity while still in suburban area.
It really depends on your needs and wants. Everyone is different.

propertycarrots
28-09-15, 02:12
I agree EC wins in above example. What I meant is if the PC is FREEHOLD, not LH. EC 700psf vs FREEHOLD PC 1100psf? Which will u choose?

If I am in your situation, how I will consider my option will be that I am looking at a 400psf difference - between EC 99LH and FH PC, similar size and location. In fact after 5yrs I am able to sell my EC as a "99LH PC" status and using the 15% difference as a guideline between a 99LH and FH PC within the area, it would make better sense to buy the EC.
Besides if the area has tons of 99LH and only a couple of FH condos, why bother paying the premium for the 400psf or $400k (assume 1k sqft). With the extra savings and 5yrs later I am able to buy a SECOND condo either for stay or rent.

The key to getting into the property game is that you need at least 2 or more condos ASAP depending on the market situation and your cash holdings

Makes sense?

henryhk
28-09-15, 06:53

U should ask which one gives u better value next time.....like nearer mrt, is it an apartment or condo with full facilities, rental next time....most EC tend to be far away from mrt....and freehold if not easily accessible also no advantage....don't based on just pricing

Montaigne
28-09-15, 07:56
As a local, I won't buy a resale EC for sure. It's either a new EC or resale/ new FREEHOLD condo. I have been discussing this with a few friends ever since EC income ceiling increase. Those who owned EC will say EC best, those who own FH will said FH best since it's freehold. Some those who own LH private jumped saying why measure come so late, some LH private owners still prefer PC over EC for Ego reasons, as u know, u can't brag about having an EC as a PC for at least 10 years. So I think I am having lots of biased views.

But in my opinion, i will only compare EC vs FH, not LH. Cos I will not get a 99LH at a premium if i can get it dirt cheap as EC. For EC, if I were to sell in 5 years, it will be to Iocals only. And most local will not buy resale EC of 5 years unless price is attractive enough. That will make a 5 year old EC less profitable vs a 10 yr old one if I am owner. So think EC upside still v much limited if location is not like that of Nuovo.

FH gives status and capital appreciation over LH, let's not talk about rental since it's for own stay. As for second property, think regardless EC or FH, still can afford 2nd property in future. But in today's mkt, property rental no longer as attractive investment. Gives less than 2% yield generally. EC location hard to rent as well. Any Condo unless within 5 mins walk to MRT, Think quite hard to rent for good yield.

So generally, i m not planning on 2nd property as of now for investment purposes, will rather invest in something else. So EC or FH is still a question mark. But I am steered towards FH since my biggest purpose is own stay, wait for enbloc, downgrade hdb or PC to retire.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 07:57
As a local, I won't buy a resale EC for sure. It's either a new EC or resale/ new FREEHOLD condo. I have been discussing this with a few friends ever since EC income ceiling increase. Those who owned EC will say EC best, those who own FH will said FH best since it's freehold. Some those who own LH private jumped saying why measure come so late, some LH private owners still prefer PC over EC for Ego reasons, as u know, u can't brag about having an EC as a PC for at least 10 years. So I think I am having lots of biased views.

But in my opinion, i will only compare EC vs FH, not LH. Cos I will not get a 99LH at a premium if i can get it dirt cheap as EC. For EC, if I were to sell in 5 years, it will be to Iocals only. And most local will not buy resale EC of 5 years unless price is attractive enough. That will make a 5 year old EC less profitable vs a 10 yr old one if I am owner. So think EC upside still v much limited if location is not like that of Nuovo.

FH gives status and capital appreciation over LH, let's not talk about rental since it's for own stay. As for second property, think regardless EC or FH, still can afford 2nd property in future. But in today's mkt, property rental no longer as attractive investment. Gives less than 2% yield generally. EC location hard to rent as well. Any Condo unless within 5 mins walk to MRT, Think quite hard to rent for good yield.

So generally, i m not planning on 2nd property as of now for investment purposes, will rather invest in something else. So EC or FH is still a question mark. But I am steered towards FH since my biggest purpose is own stay, wait for enbloc, downgrade hdb or PC to retire.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 08:00
My point is in a case like this, nobody will buy the PC lah. Unless mi casa is FH, right?

Montaigne
28-09-15, 08:07
IMHO, I think whether EC or FH, it depends on your liking, preference and budget. Recently I have a new neighbour (not in the same block), she told me that she had sold her LH private condo (which is near to shopping malls, bus interchange and future MRT) and bought this EC (which do not have the same amenities as her previous condo) but near to market. I asked her why she wanted to change and she said because this EC is bigger as compared to her previous condo, she needs a bigger space.

That's a downgrade to me. And think very rare will people do this, so not a good example why we should choose EC over FH PC. I am a FH advocate, so btw FH and LH99 private, will choose FH. But with the option of EC now, I am attracted by the much lower price that MIGHT make EC a better choice.

pluto
28-09-15, 08:18

What is it are you EXACTLY trying to say?
Nowadays FH prices are factored in at future prices and significantly more than PC.
PC over EC just for ego? what twisted theory?!

Also Speaking of Mi casa and Rainforest, what is it that you want to compare or talk about?

Micasa is PC launched 2 years earlier sold at 600-750 PSF, Rainforest EC sold at 750- 900 psf.
Micasa is PC that looks like EC, Rainforest is EC that looks like PC.
Micasa quality is worse than EC, I been to both developments, just my view but why are you comparing?

I believe Micasa owners will say that the EC beside is expensive and they got a good deal and the Rainforest owners will say that their quality is better.
BUT I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ARE YOU COMPARING THESE 2 PROJECTS? ABOVE IS NOT TO CRITIC ANY PROJECT BUT JUST TO SHARE WHAT I KNOW AND FEEL, PURELY FACTS AND MY OWN OPINION ONLY.

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 08:43
That's a downgrade to me. And think very rare will people do this, so not a good example why we should choose EC over FH PC. I am a FH advocate, so btw FH and LH99 private, will choose FH. But with the option of EC now, I am attracted by the much lower price that MIGHT make EC a better choice.

OK let's use your example of 700 PSF and 1100 PSF. Assume size of 1200 sqft. Basic costs are 840K (EC) versus 1.32M (FH). If same locality with similar attributes.

So the downpayments plus buyers stamp duties are roughly 193K versus 300K, a difference of 107K to begin with. The remaining 80% are 647K (EC) versus 1.02M (FH), assuming the buyer(s) qualify for 80% loan.

Assuming interest rates of 2.6% over 25 years, the monthly sums work out to be $2,935 (EC) versus $4,623 (FH), difference of about $1,700 every month over 25 years. For the EC, it could be comfortably paid by combining two person's CPF. The final paid sums including downpayment after 25 years are 1.07MIL (EC) versus 1.69MIL (FH).

So the question to ask yourself would be, with additional 107K at the beginning and also $1,700 every month, can I do something else? Or do you prefer to bank on the FH status and rising land costs over the 25 years to outgrow the difference? 25 years later after the mortgage is redeemed, the EC may be left with 70 years. What would the differences in price be like? You can compare a current LH 70 years to a current FH to gauge, say maybe Park West to maybe Gloria Mansion or Palm Green. Park West location is arguably better, but Gloria Mansion is about 10 years younger, and Palm Green is about 15 years younger. I do admit its very hard to get Apple to Apple comparisons, as the facilities and other attributes might differ significantly as well.

Your answers will help you decide which to go for.

Again, the analysis completely takes alternative (maybe better) locations of LH PC into considerations, which I do urge you to consider as well for their unique propositions.

Sandiwara
28-09-15, 09:01
OK let's use your example of 700 PSF and 1100 PSF. Assume size of 1200 sqft. Basic costs are 840K (EC) versus 1.32M (FH). If same locality with similar attributes.

So the downpayments plus buyers stamp duties are roughly 193K versus 300K, a difference of 107K to begin with. The remaining 80% are 647K (EC) versus 1.02M (FH), assuming the buyer(s) qualify for 80% loan.

Assuming interest rates of 2.6% over 25 years, the monthly sums work out to be $2,935 (EC) versus $4,623 (FH), difference of about $1,700 every month over 25 years. For the EC, it could be comfortably paid by combining two person's CPF. The final paid sums including downpayment after 25 years are 1.07MIL (EC) versus 1.69MIL (FH).

So the question to ask yourself would be, with additional 107K at the beginning and also $1,700 every month, can I do something else? Or do you prefer to bank on the FH status and rising land costs over the 25 years to outgrow the difference? 25 years later after the mortgage is redeemed, the EC may be left with 70 years. What would the differences in price be like? You can compare a current LH 70 years to a current FH to gauge, say maybe Park West to maybe Gloria Mansion or Palm Green. Park West location is arguably better, but Gloria Mansion is about 10 years younger, and Palm Green is about 15 years younger. I do admit its very hard to get Apple to Apple comparisons, as the facilities and other attributes might differ significantly as well.

Again, the analysis completely takes alternative (maybe better) locations of LH PC into considerations, which I do urge you to consider as well for their unique propositions.

Since you already mention many calculation, I wonder how much we get after 25 years if we park $1,700 every month into CPF

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 09:06
Since you already mention many calculation, I wonder how much we get after 25 years if we park $1,700 every month into CPF

The principal amount is 510K, the interest is 198K, and maturity value is 708K, assuming 2.5% interest annually.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 09:37
What is it are you EXACTLY trying to say?
Nowadays FH prices are factored in at future prices and significantly more than PC.
PC over EC just for ego? what twisted theory?!

Also Speaking of Mi casa and Rainforest, what is it that you want to compare or talk about?

Micasa is PC launched 2 years earlier sold at 600-750 PSF, Rainforest EC sold at 750- 900 psf.
Micasa is PC that looks like EC, Rainforest is EC that looks like PC.
Micasa quality is worse than EC, I been to both developments, just my view but why are you comparing?

I believe Micasa owners will say that the EC beside is expensive and they got a good deal and the Rainforest owners will say that their quality is better.
BUT I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ARE YOU COMPARING THESE 2 PROJECTS? ABOVE IS NOT TO CRITIC ANY PROJECT BUT JUST TO SHARE WHAT I KNOW AND FEEL, PURELY FACTS AND MY OWN OPINION ONLY.

Hi Pluto,
U asked if it is possible for both EC and PC to stand side by side. I was just quoting an example that this is possible. Assuming if both launched about similar time, EC will win. My point is it will be a no brainer to choose Ec over LH PC. But it will be a different story if Mi casa is FH. That tenure status will make the 2 development different.

For own stay, I see PC and EC no difference, if located nearby, so will def choose EC. But if PC is FH, it becomes a different story. That is what i am trying to say.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 09:40

Thanks for the detailed analysis, m trying to digest the info. So for retirement cash out plan, do u recommend FH or EC? I m thinking tho FH has huge start up cost, but by enbloc timing, the FH will be worth more than LH cost savings vs FH during initial start up? M i right to assume that?

Montaigne
28-09-15, 09:59
PC over EC just for ego? what twisted theory .

That's from a friend who own hedges park. While we thought he could have gotten an EC for the price n location he paid. He still think that having an EC is a class lower in status vs PC. He doesn't like it when people ask and he has to say he bought an EC, he has ego problem and do not like the idea of a lower class and exposed his low income status(<14k). Probably to him, EC is honda, PC is BMW. So in fact there are really many funny funny thoughts of how people view different status of property here. For his case, investment is in face value only. He doesn't care about returns in real.

BTW, m curious. For EC owners, after 10 years, when people ask what property u staying, will u say EC or PC by then? Since it has become PC already, do u just said it's private property if people asked? Or still u will say it's EC?

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 10:12
Thanks for the detailed analysis, m trying to digest the info. So for retirement cash out plan, do u recommend FH or EC? I m thinking tho FH has huge start up cost, but by enbloc timing, the FH will be worth more than LH cost savings vs FH during initial start up? M i right to assume that?

Firstly, based on the costs, I will say comparing HDB with EC, HDB is still superior.

Assuming one cannot buy HDB due to income, the most important attribute to consider in terms of property own stay or investment will be location (as a function of price). Why do some HDBs sell close to or over a million? In my calculations, where you work and your family situation has to be considered. What others deem to be of lower value could be higher value to you and family.

What is most precious about FH status is the unlimited land (again subject to location attributes for long term value). The facilities and the building will depreciate similarly to that in a PC or EC. Maintenance costs will go up similarly. The number of people willing to pay you full price for the land and part price for the apartment will drop significantly once the property ages.

So do factor in the most important attribute of properties in your decision, which is location and not status of the land.

If you have specific examples in your consideration and elaboration of a person's circumstance, it will help in how we examine the situation.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 10:33
Firstly, based on the costs, I will say comparing HDB with EC, HDB is still superior.

Assuming one cannot buy HDB due to income, the most important attribute to consider in terms of property own stay or investment will be location (as a function of price). Why do some HDBs sell close to or over a million? In my calculations, where you work and your family situation has to be considered. What others deem to be of lower value could be higher value to you and family.

What is most precious about FH status is the unlimited land (again subject to location attributes for long term value). The facilities and the building will depreciate similarly to that in a PC or EC. Maintenance costs will go up similarly. The number of people willing to pay you full price for the land and part price for the apartment will drop significantly once the property ages.

So do factor in the most important attribute of properties in your decision, which is location and not status of the land.

If you have specific examples in your consideration and elaboration of a person's circumstance, it will help in how we examine the situation.

Ok, since I have been to a few show flats over the years, and has expressed deep interest in this two project in particular, but still no action due to personal reasons. And both are sold out. Nevertheless, would like to hear your opinion for the 2.
Topiary EC vs promenade@pelikat. Both in heartlands, not too far from each other. Can't quote new ones cos can't find any good ones to compare recently. So perhaps I can hear your views on the two project which is a wiser move? The above is Just an example for future possible considerations.

henryhk
28-09-15, 11:09

I like ur detail explanation! Wat is important in life is not to own something so big tat we slot for life and don't enjoy life because of the huge commitment....hahahaha... If for me , I go for comfort with less loan, so I can also have spare cash to go round the world

NorthernStar
28-09-15, 11:11
THE RAINFOREST CHOA CHU KANG AVENUE 3 Executive Condominium 23 OCR 99 yrs lease commencing from 2011 New Sale 1 980,000 - 1,130 Strata 16 to 20 867 15-Aug
MI CASA CHOA CHU KANG AVENUE 3 Condominium 23 OCR 99 yrs lease commencing from 2008 Resale 1 950,000 - 1,119 Strata 01 to 05 849 15-Jun
MI CASA CHOA CHU KANG AVENUE 3 Condominium 23 OCR 99 yrs lease commencing from 2008 Resale 1 950,000 - 1,119 Strata 01 to 05 849 15-Jan

The transaction doesn't show there is 400psf gap between LH condo and EC.. so the 30-40% gap assumption is not correct right? as far as i know, gap between EC and LH condo is usually 100-200psf gap.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 11:31
Think now, many are eligible for EC. So it's no longer comparing EC vs private LH condo, but rather EC vs FH condo.

I think if choosing between EC vs private LH in same area, the answer is clear cut. Choose EC. However, what would be the wiser choice between EC and freehold private same area, Assuming psf of EC around 700psf, freehold 1100psf same location, size etc?

THE RAINFOREST CHOA CHU KANG AVENUE 3 Executive Condominium 23 OCR 99 yrs lease commencing from 2011 New Sale 1 980,000 - 1,130 Strata 16 to 20 867 15-Aug
MI CASA CHOA CHU KANG AVENUE 3 Condominium 23 OCR 99 yrs lease commencing from 2008 Resale 1 950,000 - 1,119 Strata 01 to 05 849 15-Jun
MI CASA CHOA CHU KANG AVENUE 3 Condominium 23 OCR 99 yrs lease commencing from 2008 Resale 1 950,000 - 1,119 Strata 01 to 05 849 15-Jan

The transaction doesn't show there is 400psf gap between LH condo and EC.. so the 30-40% gap assumption is not correct right? as far as i know, gap between EC and LH condo is usually 100-200psf gap.

I mean EC and FH, not LH.

nydeidith
28-09-15, 11:41
there is no straight answer....you have to compare the projects/areas specifically to say whether EC or PC leasehold better buy...in some cases EC obviously better due to the lower purchase price...in some cases PC leasehold has its own value (better or more exclusive location, build quality, etc)....cheap is cheap...you will be hard pressed to find any EC better than PC leasehold in terms of location and build design/quality...if both projects are launched at the same time...

the government has already segregated the lands into different tiers...if a piece of land is of PC leasehold value/worth/potential...they will never release it as EC land....of course you can find specific examples that says otherwise but the overall trend will be such...if you managed to buy an EC with location, build quality and age comparable to nearby PC leasehold...then good for you....but i suspect it will not be easy....

to me its very simple...if you cannot afford freehold then buy leasehold...cannot afford PC then buy EC...cannot afford EC than buy HDB...these different classes of property are different for a reason...just buy what you can afford/willing to pay or best suit your preference/life circumstances...difficult to compare apples and oranges to justify selection....

the investment potential of EC is uncertain to me...due to the fact that you can only sell to people who can buy EC after 5 years and foreigner after 10 years...and not to forget construction time are not taken into account (if i'm not wrong)....so it can be even longer....i'm just not sure if many would pay a premium for resale EC...if can afford EC it would make sense to buy new EC, resale PC or resale HDB....the selling potential is only better when foreigners can also buy...but that would be too far away to know for certain...this is the fatal disadvantage of EC and also why they are cheaper....PC you are free to sell anytime if the conditions are good

Montaigne
28-09-15, 11:48
there is no straight answer....you have to compare the projects/areas specifically to say whether EC or PC leasehold better buy...in some cases EC obviously better due to the lower purchase price...in some cases PC leasehold has its own value (better or more exclusive location, build quality, etc)....cheap is cheap...you will be hard pressed to find any EC better than PC leasehold in terms of location and build design/quality...if both projects are launched at the same time...

the government has already segregated the lands into different tiers...if a piece of land is of PC leasehold value/worth/potential...they will never release it as EC land....of course you can find specific examples that says otherwise but the overall trend will be such...if you managed to buy an EC with location, build quality and age comparable to nearby PC leasehold...then good for you....but i suspect it will not be easy....

to me its very simple...if you cannot afford freehold then buy leasehold...cannot afford PC then buy EC...cannot afford EC than buy HDB...these different classes of property are different for a reason...just buy what you can afford/willing to pay or best suit your preference/life circumstances...difficult to compare apples and oranges to justify selection....

the investment potential of EC is uncertain to me...due to the fact that you can only sell to people who can buy EC after 5 years and foreigner after 10 years...and not to forget construction time are not taken into account (if i'm not wrong)....so it can be even longer....i'm just not sure if many would pay a premium for resale EC...if can afford EC it would make sense to buy new EC, resale PC or resale HDB....the selling potential is only better when foreigners can also buy...but that would be too far away to know for certain...this is the fatal disadvantage of EC and also why they are cheaper....PC you are free to sell anytime if the conditions are good

Hmmm, so for those who can afford all including FH? Should I buy FH then? I currently have a budget a 1.5mil. Looking for 2 bedders.

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 12:13
Ok, since I have been to a few show flats over the years, and has expressed deep interest in this two project in particular, but still no action due to personal reasons. And both are sold out. Nevertheless, would like to hear your opinion for the 2.
Topiary EC vs promenade@pelikat. Both in heartlands, not too far from each other. Can't quote new ones cos can't find any good ones to compare recently. So perhaps I can hear your views on the two project which is a wiser move? The above is Just an example for future possible considerations.

Thanks for putting in specific examples. It's a very interesting mix to compare but I am really not sure if I can do a fair job. I noted that you have been very keen on The Promenade @ Pelikat, being the thread starter. Its quite a proposition. The units offered have very different sizes also.

Location and Amenities
I think Topiary is still about another 30% further away from employment hubs (Paya Lebar Business area) and the city centre as compared to P@P. But Topiary is closer to the Seletar Airspace area. I can't find any MRT within a 2km radius for Topiary but P@P has access to 2 MRT within 2km radius, including Kovan (600+m). The roads network also appear more developed for P@P, which has access to many food centres including the hawker centre nearby? Food within walking distance is an important attribute I think. Greenwich is the shopping area within walking distance for Topiary compared to Heartland malls for P@P, not including the shops under P@P (wonder what they are selling though).

Environment
Hard to compare but Topiary likely to feel more spacious based on the number of units and surroundings, more undeveloped areas. Mixed development like P@P some like but some don't. Some might feel the internal facing units too close for comfort? But some might like being close to the landed properties in P@P.

Facilities
Topiary is supposed to be like a full condo. Its facilities will definitely trounce P@P which has a third floor swimming pool and gym.

Size and Quantum
The current PSF difference between the two could be more than 500PSF. If based on quantum, 700K can get you 753sqft in Topiary versus 484 in P@P. Is space necessary or important for you?

So depends on what you are looking for, its very hard to compare. Investment wise, if this is a second property for a HDB "upgrader" (but not meant for own stay) for decoupling, I will opt for P@P, because I can still keep the HDB. No balcony also likely means larger living space inside. But the situation differs for everyone.

Is there any sellers for P@P? Can go take a look at your place when TOP? Looks about soon.

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 12:16
Hmmm, so for those who can afford all including FH? Should I buy FH then? I currently have a budget a 1.5mil. Looking for 2 bedders.

Wah. 1.5mil - the whole Singapore is your oyster. Do consider carefully and best of luck!

nydeidith
28-09-15, 12:48
LOL if you ask me now is not the time to buy property....
Price is at peak and has not corrected much...
Plus massive supply incoming...
Plus economic outlook uncertain/negative...
Best to wait 2-3 years for the downturn...
You will be rewarded for your patience...

Anyway its hard to answer your question...
whats your objective?

Montaigne
28-09-15, 13:23
Thanks for putting in specific examples. It's a very interesting mix to compare but I am really not sure if I can do a fair job. I noted that you have been very keen on The Promenade @ Pelikat, being the thread starter. Its quite a proposition. The units offered have very different sizes also.

Location and Amenities
I think Topiary is still about another 30% further away from employment hubs (Paya Lebar Business area) and the city centre as compared to P@P. But Topiary is closer to the Seletar Airspace area. I can't find any MRT within a 2km radius for Topiary but P@P has access to 2 MRT within 2km radius, including Kovan (600+m). The roads network also appear more developed for P@P, which has access to many food centres including the hawker centre nearby? Food within walking distance is an important attribute I think. Greenwich is the shopping area within walking distance for Topiary compared to Heartland malls for P@P, not including the shops under P@P (wonder what they are selling though).

Environment
Hard to compare but Topiary likely to feel more spacious based on the number of units and surroundings, more undeveloped areas. Mixed development like P@P some like but some don't. Some might feel the internal facing units too close for comfort? But some might like being close to the landed properties in P@P.

Facilities
Topiary is supposed to be like a full condo. Its facilities will definitely trounce P@P which has a third floor swimming pool and gym.

Size and Quantum
The current PSF difference between the two could be more than 500PSF. If based on quantum, 700K can get you 753sqft in Topiary versus 484 in P@P. Is space necessary or important for you?

So depends on what you are looking for, its very hard to compare. Investment wise, if this is a second property for a HDB "upgrader" (but not meant for own stay) for decoupling, I will opt for P@P, because I can still keep the HDB. No balcony also likely means larger living space inside. But the situation differs for everyone.

Is there any sellers for P@P? Can go take a look at your place when TOP? Looks about soon.

Thanks alot for the insight. The new Ruling for income ceiling may cause some unhappiness for those LH buyers who has no choice but to buy private In lousy location due to budget, for eg, Kovan grandeur. Perhaps FH not so bad.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 13:28
LOL if you ask me now is not the time to buy property....
Price is at peak and has not corrected much...
Plus massive supply incoming...
Plus economic outlook uncertain/negative...
Best to wait 2-3 years for the downturn...
You will be rewarded for your patience...

Anyway its hard to answer your question...
whats your objective?

Objective is to understand what is the best decision for those who used to only have 2 options, LH or FH private due to EC income ceiling. Now given an EC option, the choice for LH private will be out. So left with 2 choices, EC or FH. But price of EC vs FH is a larger margin than that of LH99 vs FH. So for people like me who will choose FH over LH99 despite 15% premium, now given EC option, will u change your mind?

pluto
28-09-15, 14:04
Hi Pluto,
U asked if it is possible for both EC and PC to stand side by side. I was just quoting an example that this is possible. Assuming if both launched about similar time, EC will win. My point is it will be a no brainer to choose Ec over LH PC. But it will be a different story if Mi casa is FH. That tenure status will make the 2 development different.

For own stay, I see PC and EC no difference, if located nearby, so will def choose EC. But if PC is FH, it becomes a different story. That is what i am trying to say.

I get what you mean if you are only looking at cost.
Nowadays EC development is indeed still significantly bigger than PC and at the same time lot less as well, so EC is double win.
EC is cheaper but resale value in terms of profit margin is also significantly lower than PC regardless of unit size.

Your budget for a 2 bedder FH 1.5 m is very jaw dropping. Neem Tree @ balestier is FH and walking distance to ZS park and asking less than 1m for 2 bedder but giving out homo tiles.
this unit is star buy not sure if still available. At the end price is one thing, quality is other.

Can you share your criteria like facilities or amenities? BTW I'm no agent.

henryhk
28-09-15, 14:12

👏👏 ur mind is set, so can go ahead Liao... I own FH as my first condo property, and my Hdb as 2nd, followed by LHs , .....but not true tat FH makes more than LH, .... Is only tat FH gives u tat piece of mind after 13 years compared to LHs....hahaha

propertycarrots
28-09-15, 14:22
Very interesting discussion here and many condo experts here have all given very good points since you have provided actual developments which we can further provide advise as well potential appreciation when selling in future. Anyway, can drop me a PM if you need the full transaction details for the developments you are looking at and I will be glad to send them to ya, at least you will be able to know how much to offer if you are gunning for a unit :)

Also your 1.5mil budget, you can also explore resale CCR FH depending on the unit size you are looking at for 2 bedders

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 14:30
👏👏 ur mind is set, so can go ahead Liao... I own FH as my first condo property, and my Hdb as 2nd, followed by LHs , .....but not true tat FH makes more than LH, .... Is only tat FH gives u tat piece of mind after 13 years compared to LHs....hahaha

You are the winner. How come can FH then HDB?

Montaigne
28-09-15, 15:24

I get what you mean if you are only looking at cost.
Nowadays EC development is indeed still significantly bigger than PC and at the same time lot less as well, so EC is double win.
EC is cheaper but resale value in terms of profit margin is also significantly lower than PC regardless of unit size.

Your budget for a 2 bedder FH 1.5 m is very jaw dropping. Neem Tree @ balestier is FH and walking distance to ZS park and asking less than 1m for 2 bedder but giving out homo tiles.
this unit is star buy not sure if still available. At the end price is one thing, quality is other.

Can you share your criteria like facilities or amenities? BTW I'm no agent.

Haha, budget increase thanks to the wait from 2011 till now plus all the income rise and savings. Have restricted requirements. Must be around northeast area for personal reasons. Criteria used to be Freehold only. Amenities only need a pool. The rest useless to me. There are quite a number of ECs available here, punggol/ sk area. Would prefer as close to town as possible via driving. That's why I like Topiary. If I was eligible, should have bought that. Not in a hurry now. Since waited so long, what is another few years. Looking at FH resale meantime.

Jts a little bit more. Sold my PC last year. So have to wait 30 months if want to apply EC. I am living with parents now. So thinking if I shd wait or hoot a FH.

nydeidith
28-09-15, 15:32
Objective is to understand what is the best decision for those who used to only have 2 options, LH or FH private due to EC income ceiling. Now given an EC option, the choice for LH private will be out. So left with 2 choices, EC or FH. But price of EC vs FH is a larger margin than that of LH99 vs FH. So for people like me who will choose FH over LH99 despite 15% premium, now given EC option, will u change your mind?

Still not sure what you trying to do but if it helps I can share my experience...two years ago when I searched for my house, I have option of resale HDB, resale EC, new/resale leasehold PC or resale freehold PC...only new freehold PC was not possible due to budget..

Which is best? To me HDB BTO has best value but too bad I don’t qualify....EC is out too because of income ceiling...resale EC is just DUMD considering the other options I have...I eventually also ruled out resale HDB or PC because I decided I don’t want to spend a bomb on renovations that doesnt increase property value…

Between leasehold/freehold PC.....of course freehold is better...but not all is worth paying a premium…good freehold pc require huge premium….at current market 1.5m budget you can only get average freehold PC whether new or resale…average freehold PC has no advantage over good leasehold PC….you need closer to 2m budget to get a good freehold 2bdrm PC and will need to bargain hunt…and now is still peak market price….that is why I suggest you wait a few years for economic downturn for huge discount

If I could buy EC two years ago…would I? the answer is an probably NO…reason is because the EC locations are generally sub-par…and really the build design/quality mostly cannot compare to PC…more importantly the rule of not able to sell within 5 years (excluding construction time) is horrible…the pool of eligible buyers after 5 years is small and I don’t believe they will want to buy resale EC considering the options they have…

i believe people only buy EC because it is more affordable than PC…or simply they cannot afford PC…not because EC has better value or investment potential compared to PC…from investment point of view I don’t see much upside for EC given their location, build quality and in-between status…after 5-10 years the building would have deteriorated and selling will become difficult especially when competing against so many others…and again don't forget potential buyers in this bracket have so many other options….

We can't pick a lousy PC to compare against EC to make the point…there are many leasehold PC that EC has no chance to compare/compete against…similarly there are loads of freehold PC that are inferior in various measures to leasehold PC…so really my point is there are so many factors to consider and EC/LH/FH status is only one of the consideration

Montaigne
28-09-15, 15:50
Still not sure what you trying to do but if it helps I can share my experience...two years ago when I searched for my house, I have option of resale HDB, resale EC, new/resale leasehold PC or resale freehold PC...only new freehold PC was not possible due to budget..

Which is best? To me HDB BTO has best value but too bad I don’t qualify....EC is out too because of income ceiling...resale EC is just DUMD considering the other options I have...I eventually also ruled out resale HDB or PC because I decided I don’t want to spend a bomb on renovations that doesnt increase property value…

Between leasehold/freehold PC.....of course freehold is better...but not all is worth paying a premium…good freehold pc require huge premium….at current market 1.5m budget you can only get average freehold PC whether new or resale…average freehold PC has no advantage over good leasehold PC….you need closer to 2m budget to get a good freehold 2bdrm PC and will need to bargain hunt…and now is still peak market price….that is why I suggest you wait a few years for economic downturn for huge discount

If I could buy EC two years ago…would I? the answer is an probably NO…reason is because the EC locations are generally sub-par…and really the build design/quality mostly cannot compare to PC…more importantly the rule of not able to sell within 5 years (excluding construction time) is horrible…the pool of eligible buyers after 5 years is small and I don’t believe they will want to buy resale EC considering the options they have…

i believe people only buy EC because it is more affordable than PC…or simply they cannot afford PC…not because EC has better value or investment potential compared to PC…from investment point of view I don’t see much upside for EC given their location, build quality and in-between status…after 5-10 years the building would have deteriorated and selling will become difficult especially when competing against so many others…and again don't forget potential buyers in this bracket have so many other options….

We can't pick a lousy PC to compare against EC to make the point…there are many leasehold PC that EC has no chance to compare/compete against…similarly there are loads of freehold PC that are inferior in various measures to leasehold PC…so really my point is there are so many factors to consider and EC/LH/FH status is only one of the consideration

Thanks dude, your opinion helps. Agree on that part that buying resale EC is dumb. Think only foreigners will buy resale EC. That is why I will either get NEW EC, or new/resale FH. Was still looking at resale FH, then suddenly new ruling come and disturb me say I can now buy EC. 2 bedder dirt cheap at only from $5xx.

yowetan
28-09-15, 15:52

May I know which one you bought in the end? PC or FH or nothing?

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 16:06
Thanks dude, your opinion helps. Agree on that part that buying resale EC is dumb. Think only foreigners will buy resale EC. That is why I will either get NEW EC, or new/resale FH. Was still looking at resale FH, then suddenly new ruling come and disturb me say I can now buy EC. 2 bedder dirt cheap at only from $5xx.

I read somewhere that must be careful if apply for EC as income may overshoot and from eligible status become ineligible.

But its a bit gibberish to me when I read that. I thought only must qualify during booking? Must also qualify after being built or loan disbursed?

I must have read something that did not make sense.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 16:10

I read somewhere that must be careful if apply for EC as income may overshoot and from eligible status become ineligible.

But its a bit gibberish to me when I read that. I thought only must qualify during booking? Must also qualify after being built or loan disbursed?

Only during application. Confirm. Btw, The vale is a good buy? Less than 700m to SK mrt. Seems better option vs p@p assuming they launched together.

henryhk
28-09-15, 16:15
You are the winner. How come can FH then HDB?

Why not? Tose were the days tat u can own many condos and still buy Hdb......no restriction...we are strongly encouraged to own more homes as a singaporean

Arcachon
28-09-15, 16:17
That's from a friend who own hedges park. While we thought he could have gotten an EC for the price n location he paid. He still think that having an EC is a class lower in status vs PC. He doesn't like it when people ask and he has to say he bought an EC, he has ego problem and do not like the idea of a lower class and exposed his low income status(<14k). Probably to him, EC is honda, PC is BMW. So in fact there are really many funny funny thoughts of how people view different status of property here. For his case, investment is in face value only. He doesn't care about returns in real.

BTW, m curious. For EC owners, after 10 years, when people ask what property u staying, will u say EC or PC by then? Since it has become PC already, do u just said it's private property if people asked? Or still u will say it's EC?

Wow your friend got a problem.

Maybe you can tell him my story.

Arcachon
28-09-15, 16:26

You are right, it make no sense when you qualify to buy and when your income increase you are out.

Don't think HDB got so many free people sitting behind the desk to do this things.

I book a 5 room HDB, sign the S&P agreement and HDB change ruling from 10% to 20% premium after 6 months.

Went back to check and they told me I pay only 10% because I sign the S&P already.

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 16:32

You say, ECPC (easy peasy), lemon squeezy...

Your friend so conscious should get some MM in district 9 or 10. Then when people ask just say the road name.

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 16:34
Why not? Tose were the days tat u can own many condos and still buy Hdb......no restriction...we are strongly encouraged to own more homes as a singaporean

Wow, hope we can revert to that someday. I hope to buy another HDB or PC. Last move (I think), too many also very tough to manage.

sabian
28-09-15, 16:51
Around Simei MRT got live case studies to compare EC vs LH in close proximity to each other and built in roughly the same time period.
http://www.streetdirectory.com/sg/hdb-simei/227-simei-street-4-520227/3559_83277.html

Simei Green (EC -> LH condo) built in 1999 by NTUC
Tropical Spring (LH condo) built in 2003 by NTUC
Modena (LH Condo) built in 2002 by OUB Ctr

Then you have 2 more launched in the go-go years of the last boom period.
Double Bay Resi TOP in 2012
My Mahattan TOP in 2014

Arcachon
28-09-15, 16:58
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyingNewFlatIncomeGuideline?OpenDocument

http://app.mnd.gov.sg/Newsroom/NewsPage.aspx?ID=2917&category=Press%20Release&year=2011&RA1=&RA2=&RA3=

http://askhdb.hdb.gov.sg/ExploreFaq.aspx?projectid=7875909

OTP - Option to Purchase

MrTan
28-09-15, 17:00
Only during application. Confirm. Btw, The vale is a good buy? Less than 700m to SK mrt. Seems better option vs p@p assuming they launched together.

The vales is opposite hospital, right? Some pple may not like it. May affect resale value also. If mrt is a consideration, how abt brownstone? Not north east though. Mrt would be a consideration for family members who dun drive, esp kids. Feeder bus, though may be convenient, is afterall an extended journey by public transport and a further wait.

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 17:27

Each got their own selling point, depends on your objective.

Typical units in P@P can be for own stay or renting out immediately. For rental properties, being near food centres and MRT is crucial (to me).

The Vales more for family stay (size) and facilities, unless you enjoy lofts and penthouses in P@P. Whole units of EC cannot be rented out also. Food is not far away at the Kopitiam though, similar distance as MRT or Compasspoint.

So goes back to your objective again.

Arcachon
28-09-15, 17:33
http://www.livecollectiva.com/2014/01/guide-to-buying-executive-condominium.html

Approval from HDB
After paying the 5% down payment, there is waiting period of 3 to 4 weeks for HDB to grant the approval. As the EC is considered public housing, HDB needs to check if you and your partner's total gross monthly income is below $12k. Once they have approved, the developer's law firm will inform you. If HDB does not approve your purchase, the developer will refund you the 5% downpayment.

Upon approval, HDB will mail you the details on the disbursement of the housing grant. If the grant is $10k, the amount is split equally among you and your partner. In this case, $5K will go into the CPF OA account each. This grant amount must be returned to the CPF OA account when you sell the EC.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 17:38
Each got their own selling point, depends on your objective.

Typical units in P@P can be for own stay or renting out immediately. For rental properties, being near food centres and MRT is crucial (to me).

The Vales more for family stay (size) and facilities, unless you enjoy lofts and penthouses in P@P. Whole units of EC cannot be rented out also. Food is not far away at the Kopitiam though, similar distance as MRT or Compasspoint.

So goes back to your objective again.

Not keen in pty investment, so for own stay only. But objective is to cash out after retirement and downgrade.

Montaigne
28-09-15, 18:21
The vales is opposite hospital, right? Some pple may not like it. May affect resale value also. If mrt is a consideration, how abt brownstone? Not north east though. Mrt would be a consideration for family members who dun drive, esp kids. Feeder bus, though may be convenient, is afterall an extended journey by public transport and a further wait.

Woodland sembawang is worst imo... as compared to sk, punggol. Tho prefer serangoon, kovan area.

MrTan
28-09-15, 19:21
Woodland sembawang is worst imo... as compared to sk, punggol. Tho prefer serangoon, kovan area.

Interesting. Y woodlands sembawang is worst iyo leh? A lot of ECs over there wor. Sembawang got landed property there. Not sure if it's LH or FH. Ever considered getting a landed?

Montaigne
28-09-15, 19:57
My grandparents stay landed, stayed there since young till teenage years before staying with parents in HDB and PC. Not a landed person if for own stay. Prefer PC/EC over HDB and landed. Woodlands and sembawang just doesn't call to me I guess... so no matter how cheap, I won't stay there.

Kelonguni
28-09-15, 23:37
Not keen in pty investment, so for own stay only. But objective is to cash out after retirement and downgrade.

Own stay without spouse or children?

Actually anything is fine for you since you like Northeast. 1.5mil can slowly see what ticks. Some of the ECs / FHs can sell for 700+ 800+ PSF if you do not mind the property age.

irisng
29-09-15, 08:22

I will still say is EC because I don't feel ashamed at all. Compare to those that can't afford, I feel I'm lucky enough. Whenever people tell me, oh so you stay in a condo, I would say oh is an EC only, what's wrong with EC address, I even thought of staying in a 3 or 4 room HDB flat but not eligible now because of the ruling measure.

Montaigne
29-09-15, 08:36

Own stay without spouse or children?

Actually anything is fine for you since you like Northeast. 1.5mil can slowly see what ticks. Some of the ECs / FHs can sell for 700+ 800+ PSF if you do not mind the property age.

Staying with spouse and 1 child. To me, strictly no resale EC. FH still prefer new. Resale prices dropped, but only those older ones. Those 5 years and below pricing still above 1k psf for 2 bedders. Don't mind paying higher for new FH with budget 1.5mil. Resale FH looking at max 1k psf, not older than 5 years.

Montaigne
29-09-15, 08:40
I will still say is EC because I don't feel ashamed at all. Compare to those that can't afford, I feel I'm lucky enough. Whenever people tell me, oh so you stay in a condo, I would say oh is an EC only, what's wrong with EC address, I even thought of staying in a 3 or 4 room HDB flat but not eligible now because of the ruling measure.

Wonder if there will b people saying theirs is private after 10 years privatisation. Probably there are!

MrTan
29-09-15, 09:47
Wonder if there will b people saying theirs is private after 10 years privatisation. Probably there are!

Dun have to be so hard up on this. It doesn't matter where one stays. If it does, then either subject is too self conscious and has low self confidence, or the overly prying party is not a friend and should be kept at arm's length.

irisng
29-09-15, 12:28
Wow, hope we can revert to that someday. I hope to buy another HDB or PC. Last move (I think), too many also very tough to manage.

That's right. I was actually looking for a resale HDB at Rochor Centre and Toa Payoh before this ruling measure comes in. It was just my luck, two days later heard about this ruling measure, I also hope that govt can take out this ruling measure. Really hope to retire at HDB and still can have some rental income from my EC. My EC floor area is 1410 sq ft which I consider quite big, so, so reluctant to sell it away. I think nowadays is not easy to get such a big area, even have, it might be expensive.

irisng
29-09-15, 12:47

Maybe, there are so many different types of people in this world.

Before I bought the EC, I was actually looking for private condo around Clark quay and Bukit Timah area, it cost about $1m to $1.25m during that time, then govt came out with the idea of EC. Since EC is cheaper than private and also has the same facilities as private and our main intention is for own stay, that's why I choose EC. During that time, I still need to pay 25% levy (about $125K) when I sold my HDB as purchase of EC is considered as 2nd time buyer. BtW, our EC has a 50m pool. FYI, I paid about $600k for my EC around year 1999

irisng
29-09-15, 13:11
To me, FH, LH, EC or HDB is just a term used only. We couldn't deny that some with HDB address might be richer than those with private address. Why they don't want to stay in private to brag about their wealth, imho either because of the convenience or that they are humble. just like our Mr LKY, live a simple live, a humble person. He was so successful and yet he was not proud.

Montaigne
29-09-15, 21:58

Maybe, there are so many different types of people in this world.

Before I bought the EC, I was actually looking for private condo around Clark quay and Bukit Timah area, it cost about $1m to $1.25m during that time, then govt came out with the idea of EC. Since EC is cheaper than private and also has the same facilities as private and our main intention is for own stay, that's why I choose EC. During that time, I still need to pay 25% levy (about $125K) when I sold my HDB as purchase of EC is considered as 2nd time buyer. BtW, our EC has a 50m pool. FYI, I paid about $600k for my EC around year 1999

If u hv bought the bt timah or clarke quay condo, the appreciation should be much much more.

irisng
29-09-15, 23:14
If u hv bought the bt timah or clarke quay condo, the appreciation should be much much more.

That I agree but all along I have been thinking of self-stay only and not for investment or making profit, that's why I go for EC, otherwise I would have hold on to my 5 room Bishan flat and go for private condo instead. If during that time (not so many curbs), I have thought of investing in property, I think I will have tons of money by now. But I'm still quite contented though, at least I have a place to stay and won't die of hunger and occasionally still can go for a short holidays. Now only waiting for govt to see whether will they remove the curb for private/EC owners to buy resale HDB flat for retirement without letting go their condo. This condo can help them to generate extra income to support their old age.

meow123
30-09-15, 11:27
That I agree but all along I have been thinking of self-stay only and not for investment or making profit, that's why I go for EC, otherwise I would have hold on to my 5 room Bishan flat and go for private condo instead. If during that time (not so many curbs), I have thought of investing in property, I think I will have tons of money by now. But I'm still quite contented though, at least I have a place to stay and won't die of hunger and occasionally still can go for a short holidays. Now only waiting for govt to see whether will they remove the curb for private/EC owners to buy resale HDB flat for retirement without letting go their condo. This condo can help them to generate extra income to support their old age.

I hope the gov continues with the cooling measures... so that property prices remain in control.

we would not want to be in places like taiwan / hong kong, etc, where the future generation cannot afford housing, even if they work v hard.

pluto
30-09-15, 11:53
I hope the gov continues with the cooling measures... so that property prices remain in control.

we would not want to be in places like taiwan / hong kong, etc, where the future generation cannot afford housing, even if they work v hard.

New HDB are affordable to most working individuals or couples, if they don't mind location or workmanship.
Even new BTO quality is beyond control, design flaws and shattered glass.

I think our HDB price V hong kong public housing in terms of size and price is acceptable.

Arcachon
30-09-15, 11:57
They can only control so much, once income exceed property price, the property will raise again.

Notice it is common for people to buy EC compare to the past, why, because income exceed the property price.

Soon it will go to PC.

Kelonguni
30-09-15, 13:34
They can only control so much, once income exceed property price, the property will raise again.

Notice it is common for people to buy EC compare to the past, why, because income exceed the property price.

Soon it will go to PC.

EC concept is precisely demonstrative of the strong base for OCR demand. Caters to a growing group happy with their more outskirtish location but willing and able to spend more just for the facilities and exclusivity, perhaps some for FH status as well.

Will demand spill over to PC? It might if that group also prices in the additional amount they are willing and able to pay for the location. But from what I have noticed generally about the younger generations (Gen X and later), they seem to be happy with the outskirts at the moment.

Arcachon
30-09-15, 13:41
Some people cannot sleep when you tell them you have PC and they have EC, so some will still go to PC.

Kelonguni
30-09-15, 13:54
Some people cannot sleep when you tell them you have PC and they have EC, so some will still go to PC.

True also. Some may also prefer the satisfaction of not receiving any subsidy and also not being restricted in any way for buying or selling.

beautitudes
30-09-15, 17:00
Hi Dear All,

Can advise me which website or which forum to look for sales of balance unit of T.O.P 2015 ? prefer in Pasir Ris area .

Thanks everyone for help .

MrTan
30-09-15, 17:06
Have u tried checking with ur friendly neighbourhood real estate property agent?

beautitudes
30-09-15, 17:18
Have u tried checking with ur friendly neighbourhood real estate property agent?

Hi Mr Tan,

Appreciate your reply.

no, I did not.
So I should check with a real estate first, you mean ?

MrTan
30-09-15, 17:35
They would have the best info. And they would most gladly to serve you too. Of cos money/commissions makes the world goes round. Best if u have ur own agent or if u know one who is also ur family, relative, friend, etc etc.

U have a list of new pasir ris developments t.o.p. in 2015? Best to decide what u r looking for before expanding ur search, in terms of area, t.o.p. year, new vs old, etc etc.

meow123
30-09-15, 20:17
New HDB are affordable to most working individuals or couples, if they don't mind location or workmanship.
Even new BTO quality is beyond control, design flaws and shattered glass.

I think our HDB price V hong kong public housing in terms of size and price is acceptable.

yes, our HDB pricing is affordable... but I do have disagreements with the ECs.

why are we subsidising the middle-class to upper middle-class with the provision of executive condos?

this is the key reason why singapore remains a nanny state.

the gov got to breastfeed the citizens... it's quite tiresome.

irisng
30-09-15, 20:33
yes, our HDB pricing is affordable... but I do have disagreements with the ECs.

why are we subsidising the middle-class to upper middle-class with the provision of executive condos?

this is the key reason why singapore remains a nanny state.

the gov got to breastfeed the citizens... it's quite tiresome.

With income ceiling $12k, actually they can afford to buy private condo.

initially, govt came out with the idea of EC is to satisfy those who dream of staying in condo but can't afford it but it is not so now. I think last time, the salary ceiling was only $7k if I'm not wrong .

meow123
30-09-15, 21:51
With income ceiling $12k, actually they can afford to buy private condo.

initially, govt came out with the idea of EC is to satisfy those who dream of staying in condo but can't afford it but it is not so now. I think last time, the salary ceiling was only $7k if I'm not wrong .

hi irisng,

yup, I think the current policy is a handout and a handout to the middle-class?

sounds quite wrong.

Montaigne
30-09-15, 22:01
hi irisng,

sounds quite wrong.

Agree, using tax payers money to subsidize this group seems ridiculous to me. BTW today met up with that ego guy who said EC is honda, PC is BMW. Talked about property again and he said no way he will buy EC despite income below 14k. He said telling people he owned an EC is embarrassing. OMG 😁

I think if i buy EC eventually, he will be 1st to laugh at me haha... but that will not be a reason why i don't buy EC. Think I will still prefer FH for long long hold till enbloc.

teddybear
30-09-15, 22:02
Take from 1 hand and then hand out in another - and said you have to thank them for it! :hopelessness:

hi irisng,

sounds quite wrong.

star
30-09-15, 22:13
Agree, using tax payers money to subsidize this group seems ridiculous to me. BTW today met up with that ego guy who said EC is honda, PC is BMW. Talked about property again and he said no way he will buy EC despite income below 14k. He said telling people he owned an EC is embarrassing. OMG 😁

I think if i buy EC eventually, he will be 1st to laugh at me haha... but that will not be a reason why i don't buy EC. Think I will still prefer FH for long long hold till enbloc.

Monthly Maintenance fee will be huge for old property. Freehold but monthly $1k maintenance. Those small development with less than 50 units even higher. Some old small development they r very poorly maintain, will be very much more embarrassing to tell friends u stay there even though it is freehold.

Montaigne
30-09-15, 22:36

Monthly Maintenance fee will be huge for old property. Freehold but monthly $1k maintenance. Those small development with less than 50 units even higher. Some old small development they r very poorly maintain, will be very much more embarrassing to tell friends u stay there even though it is freehold.

1k for maintenance? If only a pool and gym for eg need that much? Wow, i am stuck again. But EC cannot give me the piece of mind for long term stay without counting the tenure.

Btw, a family of 3, with a budget of 1.5mil, would u go for 3 bedroom with limited choices, or 2 bedrooms with plenty of possible choices? We lived in 4 room hdb before, the extra study room is almost unused as we will all bring work to do at dining table, sofa or bed.

MrTan
30-09-15, 23:17
Guess ur not a LH fan since it can't give u the peace of mind for long term stay without counting the tenure. Then think it's better for u to get a FH PC. Pretty challenging to get cheap get fresh get large jugs of milk.

teddybear
30-09-15, 23:18
$1k monthly maintenance? For once I thought you are talking about Ardmore Park?
Do you know that Ardmore Park at about 14 years old is better maintained than those relatively new private condos with lousy materials and cheap monthly maintenance fund? :hopelessness:

So conclusion: "New" doesn't mean you will not be embarrassing to tell friends that you live there................. :eagerness:

irisng
01-10-15, 09:05
Agree, using tax payers money to subsidize this group seems ridiculous to me. BTW today met up with that ego guy who said EC is honda, PC is BMW. Talked about property again and he said no way he will buy EC despite income below 14k. He said telling people he owned an EC is embarrassing. OMG ��

If your friend has such a high ego, why don't he buy FH landed property, this will give him even more "face". For those who are ignorant about property types or call it a "layman", they will just look at your exterior and will not bother whether is it FH, LH or EC. Landed property looks "雄壮“, look more like for rich people to stay.

Montaigne
01-10-15, 09:16

If your friend has such a high ego, why don't he buy FH landed property, this will give him even more "face". For those who are ignorant about property types or call it a "layman", they will just look at your exterior and will not bother whether is it FH, LH or EC. Landed property looks "雄壮“, look more like for rich people to stay.

His income below 14k how to afford landed haha. But there are people who aren't rich, but likes to act rich. Many youngster bought continental cars. How many U think they are really rich? Women who buy chanels, how many are rich?

nydeidith
01-10-15, 10:25
EC is somewhat similar to HDB except that it has facilities.
There is 5 years minimum occupancy period and you cannot rent the entire unit out.
After 5 years, you can only sell to people eligible to buy EC.
Only after 10 years will the restrictions be removed.

So EC has huge difference to PC.
If you can afford PC, i see no reason to buy EC.
Investment potential/return for PC is higher in my opinion.
Resale value for EC is limited, especially if they become more common in coming years.

Montaigne
01-10-15, 13:52
Resale value for EC is limited, especially if they become more common in coming years.

Agree v much on this. In the past EC is rare. So less price competition. Now too many. So price competition is between ECs rather than PC in future. LH PC have to be in better location in order to warrant a premium. But LH 99 private in poor location like hedges park for example will suffer badly when comes to price appreciation.

No locals who can afford private will buy resale EC. And those who can qualify for new EC will buy new.

Anyway, I think for those who just want to enjoy condo facilities without the desire to show off can buy EC. For those who want to show off better don't buy EC. Many categorised EC owners as those who can't afford PC but yet want condo lifestyle, just like my friend who feel embarrassed to buy EC.

star
01-10-15, 17:49
Freehold is just a name that sound good. R u going to stay in freehold for 50yrs or more?? u will know condition is really bad and maintenance fee is really high. Just buy EC if possible or LH 99. The most stay in LH for 20yrs u move to another place. As property get older the more problem u will encounter especially with lousy materials that will not last long now.

Montaigne
01-10-15, 18:00
Freehold is just a name that sound good. R u going to stay in freehold for 50yrs or more?? u will know condition is really bad and maintenance fee is really high. Just buy EC if possible or LH 99. The most stay in LH for 20yrs u move to another place. As property get older the more problem u will encounter especially with lousy materials that will not last long now.

Stay EC or LH after 20 years resale value suffer more than 20 years FH. We can't be always moving house. And what if for some reasons can't move house, or can't sell, at least FH can hold, but LH will be worse the longer you drag. Not easy to plan exact exit time.

Arcachon
01-10-15, 19:41
EC is somewhat similar to HDB except that it has facilities.
There is 5 years minimum occupancy period and you cannot rent the entire unit out.
After 5 years, you can only sell to people eligible to buy EC.
Only after 10 years will the restrictions be removed.

So EC has huge difference to PC.
If you can afford PC, i see no reason to buy EC.
Investment potential/return for PC is higher in my opinion.

2006, I brought a PC and my colleague told me he feel very happy he just brought a EC.

He was promoted to the next higher ranks and I have to leave the forces.

I told him I feel very sad because I brought a PC.

Montaigne
01-10-15, 21:10
2006, I brought a PC and my colleague told me he feel very happy he just brought a EC.

He was promoted to the next higher ranks and I have to leave the forces.

I told him I feel very sad because I brought a PC.

I don't get your story

Kelonguni
01-10-15, 21:22
Stay EC or LH after 20 years resale value suffer more than 20 years FH. We can't be always moving house. And what if for some reasons can't move house, or can't sell, at least FH can hold, but LH will be worse the longer you drag. Not easy to plan exact exit time.

It really depends on where you buy.

If you buy near where the employment hubs are, the depletion of lease value will be more than covered back by the demand for people to live at that location.

From all angles, that is how I predict people of the future will decide, especially the most capable.

Does not matter what C or what hold to me.

star
01-10-15, 22:40

If you buy near where the employment hubs are, the depletion of lease value will be more than covered back by the demand for people to live at that location.

From all angles, that is how I predict people of the future will decide, especially the most capable.

Then u did prepare if sewage pipes burst or gas pipes leak. Swimming pool on top of condo or carpark may leak. Maybe 40, 50 yrs later. And you got to face these problem of maintenance cost.

teddybear
01-10-15, 23:51
You are making an assumption, which may not be true in the future if population is stagnant, and with aging population, and where increase in price will be lower than depletion of lease value (and generally true in most locations in outskirt and not so convenient locations of Singapore)............. :banghead:

Arcachon
02-10-15, 01:56
Be happy with what you have and don't feel sad on what you don't have.

http://getyourexbackpermanently.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Happinescomesfrominside.jpg

Kelonguni
02-10-15, 07:12
Then u did prepare if sewage pipes burst or gas pipes leak. Swimming pool on top of condo or carpark may leak. Maybe 40, 50 yrs later. And you got to face these problem of maintenance cost.

True. The age matters more than the kind of lease or whether EC PC.

If too much maintenance issues, I think leasehold easier to get en bloc sales and easier to find buyers. Price might be easier to negotiate than FH.

Ultimately still goes back to location.

Kelonguni
02-10-15, 07:24
You are making an assumption, which may not be true in the future if population is stagnant, and with aging population, and where increase in price will be lower than depletion of lease value (and generally true in most locations in outskirt and not so convenient locations of Singapore)............. :banghead:

I don't think SG govt or people can't recognise that ageing population means the end of SG in 10 or 15 years. We can't even afford the choice that Japan took.

And even if they decide to hara kiri, in the end still go back to location.

Montaigne
02-10-15, 07:36

If too much maintenance issues, I think leasehold easier to get en bloc sales and easier to find buyers. Price might be easier to negotiate than FH.

hi, this is something new to me. Assuming similar location, why is LH easier to get enbloc n find buyers and price easier to nego? Thanks.

Montaigne
02-10-15, 07:39

Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind. Avoid those swimming pool on top buildings!

teddybear
02-10-15, 08:04
Yes "Location" number 1, that is indisputable!
After "location", if you have a choice, obviously FH is better than LH? :devilish:

Kelonguni
02-10-15, 08:04
hi, this is something new to me. Assuming similar location, why is LH easier to get enbloc n find buyers and price easier to nego? Thanks.

If for own stay, the location only matters to you.

For selling 30 years down the road, the best deals should be those with ideal microlocation (nearest to amenities and transport links), followed by general location (distance to mega malls and transport nodes), followed by lease left.

So don't restrict your choices only to locations with EC. Be open to all options. Your choices seem to be geared for own stay so don't have to bother about the sales value 30 years later.

Montaigne
02-10-15, 15:11
Hi Kelonguni, but I still don't get your logic as i might have miss out or misunderstood something important. Assuming similar location which is good location within less than 700m walk to MRT and amenities, is LH easier to get enbloc n find buyers and price easier to nego? Thanks.

Kelonguni
02-10-15, 17:22
Hi Kelonguni, but I still don't get your logic as i might have miss out or misunderstood something important. Assuming similar location which is good location within less than 700m walk to MRT and amenities, is LH easier to get enbloc n find buyers and price easier to nego? Thanks.

What I meant was that ECs cannot be found in some of the locations (districts if you will) that are near to employment hubs and city centre from the southwest to the east. And it might be purposely designed so in the system. I find especially the East districts appealing for expats and the central to southwest conducive for workers and families due to the financial, educational and research hubs. Those districts will still be the choice of stay for the affluent (if they could afford), and you should also examine whether their prices fall in your comfort zone if you have an investment motive in the long run.

But in terms of microlocations you might still find some ECs comparable to LH or FH PCs.

There are also buyers who take your purchase price into consideration when they aim to buy the unit from you. Its bizarre but likely true according to some of my friends. For example, if you are to choose between an EC (10 years later) versus a LH (10 years later) with the exact same attributes and same price, my guess if you would choose the LH. Even if the prices for the LH are slightly higher, I would still pick the LH. Association or branding, I am not too sure.

So ultimately goes back to why you buy, and your actual short term and long term objective.

Based on what you have provided so far, an EC fits the bill, unless there are hidden considerations.

Montaigne
02-10-15, 18:49
What I meant was that ECs cannot be found in some of the locations (districts if you will) that are near to employment hubs and city centre from the southwest to the east. And it might be purposely designed so in the system. I find especially the East districts appealing for expats and the central to southwest conducive for workers and families due to the financial, educational and research hubs. Those districts will still be the choice of stay for the affluent (if they could afford), and you should also examine whether their prices fall in your comfort zone if you have an investment motive in the long run.

But in terms of microlocations you might still find some ECs comparable to LH or FH PCs.

There are also buyers who take your purchase price into consideration when they aim to buy the unit from you. Its bizarre but likely true according to some of my friends. For example, if you are to choose between an EC (10 years later) versus a LH (10 years later) with the exact same attributes and same price, my guess if you would choose the LH. Even if the prices for the LH are slightly higher, I would still pick the LH. Association or branding, I am not too sure.

So ultimately goes back to why you buy, and your actual short term and long term objective.

Based on what you have provided so far, an EC fits the bill, unless there are hidden considerations.

Hi Kelonguni, I agree on the part if compare EC and LH, but you mentioned LH and FH, LH easier to get enbloc n find buyers than FH, so I am confused!

Kelonguni
02-10-15, 22:31
Hi Kelonguni, I agree on the part if compare EC and LH, but you mentioned LH and FH, LH easier to get enbloc n find buyers than FH, so I am confused!

This one needs to do detailed calculations to show.

One basic idea is LH in good locations are easier to sell (due to more reasonable seller expectations) than FH in great locations (too expensive for developer) or FH in poor locations (expectations too high for sellers).

On paper value doesn't mean for sure can get buyers. Just my opinion.

ixxx
03-10-15, 01:00
With 1.5 million budget & a kid, the answer is obvious. At the end of the day, you are going to let your son inherit your housing assets. The EC and FH PC you buy now will have extreme value difference when your son reach the age of 45. Many said FH PC further from mrt than LH PC. This is not true. There are a lot of FH PC very near farrer park mrt, aljunied mrt, paya lebar mrt & eunos mrt. 1.5 million is enough to get you a brand new FH PC at city fringe near mrt.

Sandiwara
03-10-15, 06:40
With 1.5 million budget & a kid, the answer is obvious. At the end of the day, you are going to let your son inherit your housing assets. The EC and FH PC you buy now will have extreme value difference when your son reach the age of 45. Many said FH PC further from mrt than LH PC. This is not true. There are a lot of FH PC very near farrer park mrt, aljunied mrt, paya lebar mrt & eunos mrt. 1.5 million is enough to get you a brand new FH PC at city fringe near mrt.

Property for next generation is valid only when number of property is the same or more than the number of the children. Otherwise the children need to sell the property to split the money. It is good intention but not easy.

Kelonguni
03-10-15, 10:09

Every time people tell me have I go and search bo leh...

Very very few brand new FH. New very ex and very small. Might be able to find a tiny 2BR at 60 sqm if I tried very much harder.

Can help to give specific examples or links? Thanks.

Montaigne
03-10-15, 11:25
Every time people tell me have I go and search bo leh...

Very very few brand new FH. New very ex and very small. Might be able to find a tiny 2BR at 60 sqm if I tried very much harder.

Can help to give specific examples or links? Thanks.

What about promenade Pelikat, primo residences, bliss kovan? Considered near? All less than 700m pleasant sheltered, with shops walk.

Kelonguni
03-10-15, 12:38
What about promenade Pelikat, primo residences, bliss kovan? Considered near? All less than 700m pleasant sheltered, with shops walk.

IXXX mentioned east West line. I don't think EW line have.

P@P I have given my assessment before. It's a bet but a good one although much depends on your views regarding mixed developments. Micro location great, decent general location over long run with CRL.

If compatible with your family lifestyle why not?

ixxx
03-10-15, 13:06
For example:
Naung residence: 300m from hougang mrt: just top: 900+ sqft 2 bedder 1.1 - 1.2M
The Centren: 300m from aljunied mrt: top next year: 900+ sqft 3 bedder 1.3M
Guillemard Suites: 500m from mountbatten mrt: top next year: 1100+ sqft 3 bedder 1.35M
On top mention Bliss Kovan: 350m from kovan mrt: top soon: 900+ sqft 2 bedder 1.3M

Kelonguni
03-10-15, 14:13
MRT is just microlocation.

All are good in their own ways.

Will let the TS gauge suitability for family.

For example:
Naung residence: 300m from hougang mrt: just top: 900+ sqft 2 bedder 1.1 - 1.2M
The Centren: 300m from aljunied mrt: top next year: 900+ sqft 3 bedder 1.3M
Guillemard Suites: 500m from mountbatten mrt: top next year: 1100+ sqft 3 bedder 1.35M
On top mention Bliss Kovan: 350m from kovan mrt: top soon: 900+ sqft 2 bedder 1.3M

Montaigne
03-10-15, 14:37
I have a sub sale lobang at promenade Pelikat. 1 mil for 2 bedder plus study PH size 90sqm, but facing inside mall. Agent said it's considered fire sales. Checked that buyer bought at only 980psf. Bliss kovan is also good, 300k+ more. I missed promenade Pelikat during launch due to some disagreement with spouse. Ended up didn't get the unit we wanted, which is a 2 bedder facing bushes and landed. Can't attach picture of floorplan, is there an attachment option?

teddybear
03-10-15, 15:16
So far?

How about TwentyOne Angullia Park (just across the road to Orchard MRT),
or Newton One (just across the road to Newton MRT),
or Novena Suites (just beside Novena MRT),
or Thomson Euro Asia (just across the road to Novena MRT),

Many more FH condos in much better locations and nearer to MRT stations than those you mentioned...........

Montaigne
03-10-15, 16:29
So far?

How about TwentyOne Angullia Park (just across the road to Orchard MRT),
or Newton One (just across the road to Newton MRT),
or Novena Suites (just beside Novena MRT),
or Thomson Euro Asia (just across the road to Novena MRT),

Many more FH condos in much better locations and nearer to MRT stations than those you mentioned...........

Looking at northeast area. I have a family business at kovan plantations.

Kelonguni
07-10-15, 23:07
I have a sub sale lobang at promenade Pelikat. 1 mil for 2 bedder plus study PH size 90sqm, but facing inside mall. Agent said it's considered fire sales. Checked that buyer bought at only 980psf. Bliss kovan is also good, 300k+ more. I missed promenade Pelikat during launch due to some disagreement with spouse. Ended up didn't get the unit we wanted, which is a 2 bedder facing bushes and landed. Can't attach picture of floorplan, is there an attachment option?

There is a sub-sale unit sold at 985K with caveat lodged. I wonder if this was bought by you or the unit offered to you but bought by someone else. Congrats if it were you, unlikely for the price to fall below this point (my opinion). Must be seller firesales due to TDSR and refinancing constraints.

Depends on needs I suppose. The specification of this unit should suit a couple with one kid very well, with maisonette feel. My family is a little too big to take up this option and we work in the West.

There is an "insert image" button on the panel above to insert attachments. Mouseover to give it a try.