PDA

View Full Version : Who pays for oven if it breaks down?

pod
17-08-15, 11:17
Seeking opinions/comments/advice for the following issue:

I have a tenant that have renewed tenancy and have been with us for approx 3 years. Recently their agent called us to request a replacement of our build-in oven. Their feedback is the oven is showing signs of failing and that we should pay for a new one.

My contention is, our tenancy agreement does not specified that we give 'warranty' for the oven (especially since they have been our tenant for more then 24mths) and that we should pay for a new one should it fail? I suppose its a 'grey' area for me. (its a build-in oven).

Whats the market practise may i ask? I mean the rent for the small apartment is only sub $2k+ and new build-in ovens are not exactly cheap, should we replace the oven at our own cost? (I am also quite sure they may not renew tenancy with us because the tenant is looking to buy a resale flat soon)

Thanks

Arcachon
17-08-15, 15:05
Depends on how tenant take care of the apartment.

I will replace if they take good care of the apartment but will ask them to replace if they don't.

TC should have a clause they repair first and you pay the delta if the cost too high then replace.

pod
17-08-15, 18:21
Depends on how tenant take care of the apartment.

I will replace if they take good care of the apartment but will ask them to replace if they don't.

TC should have a clause they repair first and you pay the delta if the cost too high then replace.

Mine the clause is not specific, more like fixtures like aircon/heater perhaps.

The tenant is actually quite ok, its the agent is darn irritating.. i feel like asking the tenant just deal with me direct in future. Useless tenant's agent and does nothing at all, create more misunderstanding and miscomm is the agent 'strength'

Thank u for your reply.