PDA

View Full Version : Expect more yuan slides, so interest rate go up Right.

Arcachon
12-08-15, 18:39
China's economic managers, generally known for their sagacity, have been signalling panic lately. Yesterday's shock move to devalue the yuan has that element.

The central bank called the devaluation a one-off move but the worry points are growing.

For a while it's been clear that China has been dipping into its vast forex reserves to shore up the currency. One analysis suggested that the People's Bank of China (PBOC) depleted US$299 billion (S$414 billion) of reserves in the year through June. Beijing sought a steady yuan partly because of its quest for reserve-currency status with the International Monetary Fund.

Trade numbers over the weekend suggest an export slowdown, adding to worries that the world's No. 2 economy is buffeted by headwinds at home. On June 28, the PBOC cut benchmark interest rates to a record low. Four rate cuts since November suggest the struggle to meet the 7 per cent growth target for 2015. Indeed, many think the economy is in worse shape; unsold homes in China, for instance, outnumber those in the US before the sub-prime crisis. Mr Ruchir Sharma, emerging markets head at Morgan Stanley, recently predicted that the next global recession "would be made by China".

More telling perhaps is capital flight, evidenced in myriad ways, including snap purchases of expensive real estate abroad by Chinese investors. Last month, Goldman Sachs researchers estimated that US$224 billion flowed out of China in the second quarter, levels "beyond anything seen historically". At the time, China's foreign exchange watchdog insisted that there had been "no large and continued capital flight so far". Not many are convinced. Some calculate that capital outflows may have hit US$800 billion over the past year.

During the Asian financial crisis, China's decision to not indulge in competitive devaluation was a major factor in helping East Asian economies recover. Today, it seems to have judged that it has to think of itself first. Expect more yuan slides.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/expect-more-yuan-slides#xtor=CS1-10

Arcachon
12-08-15, 18:44
China interest rate down, Yuan down.

Japan interest rate down, Yen down.

SG interest rate up ?????

Forest ang
12-08-15, 19:03
so funny

Kelonguni
12-08-15, 19:07

This I asked before. With the China slowdown and problems in Europe, how would US just increase rates at whim? Even if it does, why can't we borrow from China? A lot of China banks are aggressive in lowering interests for SG loans.

The current situation greatly resembles 2008 2009 times, almost dejavu. A sharp downturn, followed by huge inflationary pressures.

Arcachon
12-08-15, 19:31
If my guess is not wrong, all the central Bank already talk to one another.

They are just singing song at different time.

You print, I print, everyone print.

minority
12-08-15, 20:01

Coz they QE. and SGP int already very low. and we manage our inflation with a basket or currency.

minority
12-08-15, 20:02
This I asked before. With the China slowdown and problems in Europe, how would US just increase rates at whim? Even if it does, why can't we borrow from China? A lot of China banks are aggressive in lowering interests for SG loans.

The current situation greatly resembles 2008 2009 times, almost dejavu. A sharp downturn, followed by huge inflationary pressures.

Coz china have capital outflow control. They currency is not freely traded

Kelonguni
12-08-15, 20:53
Coz china have capital outflow control. They currency is not freely traded

The inability to trade the currency is accepted. But I am curious what CIMB mortgage loans are based on, as I have a friend who got a package from them. If an SG mortgagee loans from a Chinese bank to finance a loan, where does the money come from? CIMB borrows from local bank (SGD) or they come up with it themselves by exchanging Yuan with SGD? Or like Arcachon says, they just prepare a paper document?

Arcachon
12-08-15, 20:53
Coz they QE. and SGP int already very low. and we manage our inflation with a basket or currency.

Question ? Do Singapore also QE when the M3 money supply increase over the year.

Arcachon
12-08-15, 21:00
The inability to trade the currency is accepted. But I am curious what CIMB mortgage loans are based on, as I have a friend who got a package from them. If an SG mortgagee loans from a Chinese bank to finance a loan, where does the money come from? CIMB borrows from local bank (SGD) or they come up with it themselves by exchanging Yuan with SGD? Or like Arcachon says, they just prepare a paper document?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_II

Bank need to be Basel II.

Lehman Brothers is not a Bank

Arcachon
12-08-15, 21:31
Don't know like that can call print money or not.

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10492157_10203119110991575_8493477083971877576_n.jpg?oh=aae6b72259fdced9e29eae616c13cecc&oe=56488F08

proud owner
12-08-15, 22:03

when a foreign bank set up a branch here ... head office must inject funds ... working capital, etc etc ...
these can be in USD or home currency ...

Head office would do an fx and place this SGD in the SG branch,,,

thats how it get started ... the SG branch can then borrrow more from local banks when business picks up ..

Kelonguni
12-08-15, 22:18
when a foreign bank set up a branch here ... head office must inject funds ... working capital, etc etc ...
these can be in USD or home currency ...

Head office would do an fx and place this SGD in the SG branch,,,

thats how it get started ... the SG branch can then borrrow more from local banks when business picks up ..

Thanks for clarifying. It means we have capital put there they have capital put here. Hope money supply stays steady for a while.

proud owner
12-08-15, 22:25
Thanks for clarifying. It means we have capital put there they have capital put here. Hope money supply stays steady for a while.

but this working capital CANNOT be touched ...

assuming at the end of fiscal year, the SG branch made S$XXX mil.

SG branch would then convert these SGD profit back to home currency and repatriated, keeping only the working capital.

newbie11
12-08-15, 23:51
Wait and see the rate :beguiled:

Arcachon
13-08-15, 00:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouVsuegOj5o

Arcachon
13-08-15, 04:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_pCBB4gswg

Citizen
13-08-15, 10:08
Since all big and power countries are printing money, after all printing are not really that bad except rich getting richer if they dare to invest.
Poor their local Govt will look after. Only those middle class kiasi getting more resentful.

Kelonguni
13-08-15, 10:29
Since all big and power countries are printing money, after all printing are not really that bad except rich getting richer if they dare to invest.
Poor their local Govt will look after. Only those middle class is getting more resentful.

It's a profound observation that I think is very accurately portraying what is happening.

That's why the CMs must stay. The prices of the most expensive houses or housing types must not be allowed to run away.

There is however, a very little chance of a significant rise in interest rates in the long run. At max, is 0.25 or 0.5% symbolic rise over the next few years. My guess only.

indomie
13-08-15, 10:56
China will not tolerate low growth. IMF refusal for Yuan's Special Drawing Right...... Refocus China on domestic economy. When considering between status or stomach, stomach often win.

pmet
14-08-15, 02:16
SINGAPORE: A key interest rate benchmark hit a four-month high on Thursday (Aug 13), as sentiment towards the Singapore dollar remain weak following the depreciation of the Chinese Yuan.

On Wednesday, the three-month Singapore Interbank Offered Rate (SIBOR) rose to 0.9345 per cent. On Thursday, the rate climbed further to 0.9388 per cent.

Property analysts said banks have not yet adjusted mortgage rates that are pegged to SIBOR, which are currently hovering around 1.5 to 1.7 per cent. The rate is expected to rise to 2 per cent by the end of this year.

The vacancy rate for residential properties is also expected to climb, following the tightening of the labour market and slowing down of the economy. Experts said some owners may be forced to sell their properties due to difficulties servicing their loans.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sibor-climbs-to-four/2048930.html

If SGD continues to weaken with the yuan, more INT rates hike to come next year! If SGD strengthen against the yuan, GG to our export, technical recession to follow. This is what I call loose-loose situation. Problem lies in the way we set (or don't set) interest rates. The housing bubble was also the result of this.

minority
14-08-15, 08:05
with TDSR some of the rate hike risk is lowered. which is worst recession or rate hike? as long have job can still service the loan. the ones tat get in trouble are those that over leverage.

Kelonguni
14-08-15, 09:32
Interesting movements. 0.0043% rise. For the full rate to reach 2, the rise needs to occur maybe 100 times. Seems likely but improbable.

How I wish I had studied economics more carefully. The link between interest rate and global economy. Something complex is happening here between US and China, and we are caught right smack in the middle.

SINGAPORE: A key interest rate benchmark hit a four-month high on Thursday (Aug 13), as sentiment towards the Singapore dollar remain weak following the depreciation of the Chinese Yuan.

On Wednesday, the three-month Singapore Interbank Offered Rate (SIBOR) rose to 0.9345 per cent. On Thursday, the rate climbed further to 0.9388 per cent.

Property analysts said banks have not yet adjusted mortgage rates that are pegged to SIBOR, which are currently hovering around 1.5 to 1.7 per cent. The rate is expected to rise to 2 per cent by the end of this year.

The vacancy rate for residential properties is also expected to climb, following the tightening of the labour market and slowing down of the economy. Experts said some owners may be forced to sell their properties due to difficulties servicing their loans.

If SGD continues to weaken with the yuan, more INT rates hike to come next year! If SGD strengthen against the yuan, GG to our export, technical recession to follow. This is what I call loose-loose situation. Problem lies in the way we set (or don't set) interest rates. The housing bubble was also the result of this.

Citizen
14-08-15, 09:39
The world economy is control by Elites(IMF, FED, ECB, PBOC and the Gangs) and Govts. The problems they are facing now are peace and balance. The rests are secondary.

Citizen
14-08-15, 09:45
Interesting movements. 0.0043% rise. For the full rate to reach 2, the rise needs to occur maybe 100 times. Seems likely but improbable.

How I wish I had studied economics more carefully. The link between interest rate and global economy. Something complex is happening here between US and China, and we are caught right smack in the middle.
I remembered in 2008-2009 our property price drop a lot due to USA , so now our property price dropping also due to USA recovered therefore they going to hike rate. Confused confused
thus never invest in property. it is a zero sum game.

Citizen
14-08-15, 09:58
I remembered in 2008-2009 our property price drop a lot due to USA , so now our property price dropping also due to USA recovered therefore they going to hike rate. Confused confused
thus never invest in property. it is a zero sum game.
All the masters if not when then is the right time and right price to invest ? Masters please dun tell me history and theory. Thanks all masters

Citizen
14-08-15, 10:13

Tightened and loosen also die. When rate was low, the excuse for not investing because the rate is going up. When rate is up, the excuse is the cost of borrowing is high. So how? Don't invest? Master please enlighten Thanks

Kelonguni
14-08-15, 10:26
Don't call people master lah.

The Web is intricately linked and complex. It's not as simple as purely interest rates determining prices. The rise from 2009 till 2013 can be attributed to hot money emerging from China and Asia countries. This money has redistributed worldwide since the cooling measures by HK and SG .

Now that we have a new equilibrium point, US wants to raise interest rate, and this coincides with Yuan devaluation. To me, devaluation feels like a negative interest rate from China - cheaper goods and properties from China.

The devaluation of Yuan and partial devaluation for SGD allow for interest rates to be adjusted upwards to an extent. But it does not mean things will get cheaper. For example, if interest rates go up in SG, it means financing costs will go up but this could also be linked to high inflation as well which in part caused property prices to spike from 2009 to 2013.

teddybear
14-08-15, 10:31
When rate is low, it is time to invest in properties.

However, now properties prices in Singapore is dying a slow death is because of the property cooling measures, not because of the low rate now..........

Wait till you see Singapore GDP going down the drain with growth <4%, rate increases, capital outflows (you will see S$ keep dropping against US$ and other currencies), singapore property prices will suffer much more! :hypnotysed:

Tightened and loosen also die. When rate was low, the excuse for not investing because the rate is going up. When rate is up, the excuse is the cost of borrowing is high. So how? Don't invest? Master please enlighten Thanks

Citizen
14-08-15, 10:37

The Web is intricately linked and complex. It's not as simple as purely interest rates determining prices. The rise from 2009 till 2013 can be attributed to hot money emerging from China and Asia countries. This money has redistributed worldwide since the cooling measures by HK and SG .

Now that we have a new equilibrium point, US wants to raise interest rate, and this coincides with Yuan devaluation. To me, devaluation feels like a negative interest rate from China - cheaper goods and properties from China.

The devaluation of Yuan and partial devaluation for SGD allow for interest rates to be adjusted upwards to an extent. But it does not mean things will get cheaper. For example, if interest rates go up in SG, it means financing costs will go up but this could also be linked to high inflation as well which in part caused property prices to spike from 2009 to 2013.
Calling people Master is a respect, I believe there are knowledge that people have that I might not have. In China we even call the taxi driver shifu.
Btw thanks for your reply.

Kelonguni
14-08-15, 10:43

However, now properties prices in Singapore is dying a slow death is because of the property cooling measures, not because of the low rate now..........

Wait till you see Singapore GDP going down the drain with growth <4%, rate increases, capital outflows (you will see S$ keep dropping against US$ and other currencies), singapore property prices will suffer much more! :hypnotysed:

Now rates are still very low. With the tug of war between countries, I doubt the rates can go up very much. In fact, I think China is challenging US to increase their interest rates if they dare to.

SGP situation is mainly self induced to reduce rich-poor gap. We do not want the inequality of HK. Neither is it healthy in economic terms. I am very positive there will be a more balanced approach to deal with the complex situations by the end of the year.

Citizen
14-08-15, 10:48

Master Bear, when u said low rate is time to invest in properties but there must b a reason why rate is low ( recession, GDP down or financial crises ) so shouldn't it be wrong time to invest? Pardon me for being naïve.

Kelonguni
14-08-15, 10:56
Master Bear, ...

What a nice way to address! Master Bear... Hahaha....

minority
14-08-15, 11:37
What a nice way to address! Master Bear... Hahaha....

Typo is it should be MasterBate

Arcachon
14-08-15, 14:04
Rate go up and down in cycle, buying property should not be just depend on Rate.

Buy when you can afford.

CMs is use to control the rate of buying and selling.

My colleague father 75 years old was given a loan of 25 years to buy property before the CM.

He is those who pay full and cash when buying property and was very angry.

700 investor can't be wrong than a reporter, they must have smell blood to go in, can't be shit.

pmet
15-08-15, 01:24

No.

For the first part, yuan devaluation is a interest rate hike for us. We're net exporter to China, so our exports will suffer. SGD will drop against USD because yuan is one of the main currencies in the trading basket tracked by MAS. SGD drop means interest rate will go up in the long run.

For the second part, economics 101 tells us that when interest rates goes up, inflation will come down. Don't send mixed signals lah, LOL!

minority
15-08-15, 07:21
No.

For the first part, yuan devaluation is a interest rate hike for us. We're net exporter to China, so our exports will suffer. SGD will drop against USD because yuan is one of the main currencies in the trading basket tracked by MAS. SGD drop means interest rate will go up in the long run.

For the second part, economics 101 tells us that when interest rates goes up, inflation will come down. Don't send mixed signals lah, LOL!

if our Currency drop we being net importer will have impact on stuff we import. but that said if our neighbours or partner that we import from currency drop then our inflation stays in check. given the weak commodity, weak oil, and our currency is still stronger than our neighbours negating the riase in USD.

Kelonguni
15-08-15, 08:14
I am not sending mixed signals. The multi dimension relationship between the superpowers is confusing me.

You mean China devaluation makes it easier for US to raise rates?

No.

Citizen
15-08-15, 11:05
To all the Masters, world economy is complex. Rate up inflation down is simple. We can read from book , if it is that simple FED dun nd low rate and QE for so many years . Singapore dun need 8 CMs to suppress our housing price. The reason for me to address you guys as masters because some masters said that calling to buy in 2009 and sell in 2013. They might know something sure I dun know. I m here to learn.
Based on record our sgd depreciate against Yuan, few years back 1dollar to 5 plus yuan, now only about 4.5plus. Pre GFC our Singapore property price shoot up even the interest rate was high. 2 years ago Jakarta property price shoot up double even their interest rate was very high because most of them buy cash as we can see.

teddybear
15-08-15, 12:14
Think you hit the nail on the head.......

Interest rate rise will not kill property market............

It is the Singapore property cooling measures that are killing singapore property market and crashing the property prices................

Interest rate rise, coupled with capital outflows (foreigners selling singapore properties and cashing out of Singapore) because S$ has started the trend of long-term weakening will further crash singapore property prices!!!!!!!

To all the Masters, world economy is complex. Rate up inflation down is simple. We can read from book , if it is that simple FED dun nd low rate and QE for so many years . Singapore dun need 8 CMs to suppress our housing price. The reason for me to address you guys as masters because some masters said that calling to buy in 2009 and sell in 2013. They might know something sure I dun know. I m here to learn.
Based on record our sgd depreciate against Yuan, few years back 1dollar to 5 plus yuan, now only about 4.5plus. Pre GFC our Singapore property price shoot up even the interest rate was high. 2 years ago Jakarta property price shoot up double even their interest rate was very high because most of them buy cash as we can see.

Arcachon
15-08-15, 12:27
Long term, interest rate high or low, property high or low does it matter.

Money in the Bank is not getting you to anywhere.

Those who like to wait for durian to drop, will still wait for durian to drop even the durian have already drop.

Interest at 20% guess nobody need to work anymore.

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11891123_10205756805132280_7938480445742410383_n.jpg?oh=4ae20919e773bbeca73b4426cb5905ab&oe=56385849

Citizen
15-08-15, 12:48
Think you hit the nail on the head.......

Interest rate rise will not kill property market............

It is the Singapore property cooling measures that are killing singapore property market and crashing the property prices................

Interest rate rise, coupled with capital outflows (foreigners selling singapore properties and cashing out of Singapore) because S$ has started the trend of long-term weakening will further crash singapore property prices!!!!!!!
Master Bear , if indeed the property price is control by govt it will do them no good to crash it. If it is their policy to crash it , all sporean shouldn't own properties we should rent from govt. So what make u think 2020 is the time to buy ???

Arcachon
15-08-15, 13:18
Now is the time to buy.

1. Shorter lease for HDB for the so call low income before the election.
2. Shorter lease for the private to follow. (test case 100% sold).

Imagine instead of buying 99 years you pay the same price for a 60 years.

Arcachon
15-08-15, 13:38
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/all-singapore-citizens-prs-to-have-lifelong-health-insurance-from-nov-1

With MediShield Life, you have one less worry more time and money for others.

Arcachon
15-08-15, 13:45
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

US have already pay out their loan, they are increasing the interest rate ?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PytkwzGk1RI