PDA

View Full Version : Blacklisted Agents

dmon
02-12-14, 00:32
Hope others can share bad experiences with property agents

A buddy of mine was totally disappointed in his recent search for a place to rent
Ads advertised but agents asked abt his profile instead and ended no viewing at all.

These agents in my view are depressing the rent prices as they attract by advertising low rent

Tenants ended up giving profile n not a single viewing....

Buddy told me ...lesson learnt..ignore agents who advertised with NO INTERIOR PHOTOS

august
02-12-14, 00:45
Onviously the tenant profile is the problem, not the agent.

Arcachon
02-12-14, 04:11
99.co

irisng
02-12-14, 07:10

A buddy of mine was totally disappointed in his recent search for a place to rent
Ads advertised but agents asked abt his profile instead and ended no viewing at all.

These agents in my view are depressing the rent prices as they attract by advertising low rent

Buddy told me ...lesson learnt..ignore agents who advertised with NO INTERIOR PHOTOS

Owners sometimes also face this problem. Get a few agents to help, but in the end, 3 months already still no viewing from most of them.

Just to share, I have come across a disappointed agent too, from one of the forums. From the way he answered to the queries in the forum, he seems to be professional but when I called him, he sound a bit rude when I told him about my required rented price. At least he should give me advice and not give me such a tone. Worst is, he doesn't seem want to talk further. Later, I found my current agent, he is good and advise me on my current market price. I handed the key to him for his convenience to bring tenants to view my unit.

dmon
02-12-14, 17:47
Onviously the tenant profile is the problem, not the agent.

Not really....my buddy managed to rent a place ...he's a working professsional.

He managed to get a genuine agent who really has units to show.

He said those agents who post general areas of condo - are not genuine. Gathered his profile and start to call owners

dmon
02-12-14, 17:50
Owners sometimes also face this problem. Get a few agents to help, but in the end, 3 months already still no viewing from most of them.

Just to share, I have come across a disappointed agent too, from one of the forums. From the way he answered to the queries in the forum, he seems to be professional but when I called him, he sound a bit rude when I told him about my required rented price. At least he should give me advice and not give me such a tone. Worst is, he doesn't seem want to talk further. Later, I found my current agent, he is good and advise me on my current market price. I handed the key to him for his convenience to bring tenants to view my unit.

For tenants and owners, it is difficult to find good agents nowadays

These bunch of agents who are going around gathering profiles and later show up empty handed - should be Blacklisted

dmon
02-12-14, 17:59
I have another lady friend who got 1 agent to rent out her place.

2 months and quite a number of viewings. My lady friend's place is neatly done up.
but agent kept asking her to do touch up n white wash.

At the advice of her friend she didnt and the unit was vacant for 2 months+

Later she changed agent n within a week the unit was rented out at a good price.
My lady friend was upset for giving exclusivity to earlier agent

Advices given by earlier agent were all wrong. The 2nd agent managed to rent out without any touch up or white wash

I think the earlier agent trying to make money out from my lady friend

Newbie1
02-12-14, 21:33
called an agent regarding an advertised unit regarding facing, layout etc

He said could not provide details as owner was out of country and no viewing during the period

was surprised because the condo has yet to be completed!

when he was reminded of that, he exclaimed, oh he forgot!:disgust:

proud owner
02-12-14, 22:08
over the years, I have Bought, sold, leased out and rented condo/landed myself.

I have made many agent friends.

what you or your friends experienced are not necessarily the fault of agents.

It is the OWNER who wants to know the profile of the tenants, cos they have a list of 'races' that they do not wish to rent their unit to.

As an agent serving the landlord, he has to ask.

And if your friend did not get a reply, chances are landlord didn't want that profile.

CEA forbids advertisements that state preference for ANY race.

Agents become the victim. They have to ask, cos landlord wants to know and choose.

To tell you they don't want you, sure kana scolding from you. You wont scold landlord right ? cos you don't talk to landlord.

So to prevent being scolded for no fault of his, Or worst, being reported to, to CEA, agent will be in trouble.

some agents get Exclusive say for 3 mths from Mar to Jun ... try and try .. no luck.

Pass to another agent in July, straight away rented out within 2 weeks..

is it agent lousy ?

NO ...

July/ Dec always see a lot of expats coming and going ...

the agent with the exclusive is simply bad luck ... timing was wrong...

We should also start to black list owners ...

example .. I kana once, advertise 930k ... changed price 3 times to 1.1 mio within 1wk ..

whos fault ? blacklist the agent ? Nah its the seller ..

so ... don't be too quick to judge ... very often it is the Seller/ landlord that is the nasty one

irisng
03-12-14, 07:50
I have another lady friend who got 1 agent to rent out her place.

2 months and quite a number of viewings. My lady friend's place is neatly done up.
but agent kept asking her to do touch up n white wash.

At the advice of her friend she didnt and the unit was vacant for 2 months+

Later she changed agent n within a week the unit was rented out at a good price.
My lady friend was upset for giving exclusivity to earlier agent

Advices given by earlier agent were all wrong. The 2nd agent managed to rent out without any touch up or white wash

I think the earlier agent trying to make money out from my lady friend

I wonder is it sometimes is the luck. Previously I engaged an agent who was a wife of my spouse's colleague to sell my 5 room HDB flat in Bishan (near MRT, shopping centre, CC and good school). Ours was her 1st deal because she was new and someone whom we know, so we gave her a chance and gave her an exclusive right. She brought lots of buyers to my place to view, I think have more than 20 people within >2 months. It caused lots of convenience to us because everytime we had to make ourselves available during weekdays and weekends. Some even came 2 or 3 times to view but she still cannot close the deal. Because her exclusive right was going to expire, so she kept asking us to reduce the price until we told her that we could not reduce any further. In the end, she joined with another agent from other agency and at last closed the deal.

dmon
03-12-14, 09:19
called an agent regarding an advertised unit regarding facing, layout etc

He said could not provide details as owner was out of country and no viewing during the period

was surprised because the condo has yet to be completed!

when he was reminded of that, he exclaimed, oh he forgot!:disgust:

Have 3 colleagues who are looking to rent.
Same excuse given to them - owner out of country.

Ain't it odd - if I'm the owner I pass the keys to agent.

Should blacklist these agents. Part timers or moonlighting

dmon
03-12-14, 09:30
Aren't agents paid to settle owners demand
Their job is middle man
A bit ridiculous to blacklist owners. Most important is professionalism. Courtesy to call instead of total ignorance

Newbie1 post - read and you can laugh over it. Agent advertised rental unit for a yet to be competed project. Recalled my buddy told me - KAP ..

It is the OWNER who wants to know the profile of the tenants, cos they have a list of 'races' that they do not wish to rent their unit to.

And if your friend did not get a reply, chances are landlord didn't want that profile.

Agents become the victim. They have to ask, cos landlord wants to know and choose.

To tell you they don't want you, sure kana scolding from you. You wont scold landlord right ? cos you don't talk to landlord.

So to prevent being scolded for no fault of his, Or worst, being reported to, to CEA, agent will be in trouble.

some agents get Exclusive say for 3 mths from Mar to Jun ... try and try .. no luck.

is it agent lousy ?

NO ...

example .. I kana once, advertise 930k ... changed price 3 times to 1.1 mio within 1wk ..

so ... don't be too quick to judge ... very often it is the Seller/ landlord that is the nasty one

jeaprp
03-12-14, 10:31

is it agent lousy ?

NO ...

gentle reminder, don't forget who is paying the commission

DC33_2008
03-12-14, 10:33
I prefer to engage the same few agents that I am familiar to market my units. Exclusivity does not work well in this kind of market. Over the years, I have managed to gather a trusted team of Electrician, Air-conditioning Contractor, handyman group which can do minor work, plumbing, etc. It is really helpful to challenge those fly-by-night contractors who have approached my tenants in the past and told them to replace things in the condo and overcharge them.
I wonder is it sometimes is the luck. Previously I engaged an agent who was a wife of my spouse's colleague to sell my 5 room HDB flat in Bishan (near MRT, shopping centre, CC and good school). Ours was her 1st deal because she was new and someone whom we know, so we gave her a chance and gave her an exclusive right. She brought lots of buyers to my place to view, I think have more than 20 people within >2 months. It caused lots of convenience to us because everytime we had to make ourselves available during weekdays and weekends. Some even came 2 or 3 times to view but she still cannot close the deal. Because her exclusive right was going to expire, so she kept asking us to reduce the price until we told her that we could not reduce any further. In the end, she joined with another agent from other agency and at last closed the deal.

irisng
03-12-14, 11:37
I prefer to engage the same few agents that I am familiar to market my units. Exclusivity does not work well in this kind of market. Over the years, I have managed to gather a trusted team of Electrician, Air-conditioning Contractor, handyman group which can do minor work, plumbing, etc. It is really helpful to challenge those fly-by-night contractors who have approached my tenants in the past and told them to replace things in the condo and overcharge them.

That was my 1st experience and was not aware that there is such a good forum here to get valuable advises from all of you. Now I know, if possible, don't give exclusive right.

dmon
03-12-14, 19:26
There are some agents who intentionally advertised below market prices.

Attract buyers or tenants but such agents no credibility

dmon
03-12-14, 19:27

Or agents work in groups....ponder me why such tactics

Bad publicity for Singapore. Others will find lack of professionalism in Singapore

proud owner
03-12-14, 21:38

do you personally have bad experience ? so far it seems all YOUR friends, or your friend's sister etc

if you have personally experience ... share it here ... we discuss ...

yes owner pays agent to do the job ... but often .. like the dirty job of "rejecting' certain race...

or when there are 'many viewings' owner raise the price ...

You mentioned Professionalism .... lets be real , there are many Owners that are not professional too ... so why cant black list them ?

Have you engaged an agent to rent out your condo before ?

when you go on holiday, you said you would pass the key to agent.

IF it is a brand new empty unit, yes most will pass key to agent.

If it is owner occupied, almost all owners wont hand keys over , unless the agent is a relative or very very very close friend.

So if an owner goes on holiday and NOT pass key to agent, should we blacklist owner ?

JEAPRP said :

precisely people has the above mentality, they demand agents to do all the dirty jobs, those that they wouldn't dare do it themselves, like telling potential tenant " I don't want you because you are from XXX, YYY, ZZZ country"

all I am saying is ...

a lot of time , it is not the fault of the agents. They are put in that situation that made them the culprit.

don't forget ... there is CEA ..

CEA forbids any advertisements that haven't gotten approval from owners ( price included)

But CEA wont fine owners who agree to sell /rent at certain price but later change it when there is a taker ...

but the taker who fails to get the price as advertised will blame the agent ... not the owner... so how ?

Newbie1
03-12-14, 22:55
do you personally have bad experience ? so far it seems all YOUR friends, or your friend's sister etc

yes owner pays agent to do the job ... but often .. like the dirty job of "rejecting' certain race...

You mentioned Professionalism .... lets be real , there are many Owners that are not professional too ... so why cant black list them ?

If it is owner occupied, almost all owners wont hand keys over , unless the agent is a relative or very very very close friend.

So if an owner goes on holiday and NOT pass key to agent, should we blacklist owner ?

JEAPRP said :

precisely people has the above mentality, they demand agents to do all the dirty jobs, those that they wouldn't dare do it themselves, like telling potential tenant " I don't want you because you are from XXX, YYY, ZZZ country"

all I am saying is ...

a lot of time , it is not the fault of the agents. They are put in that situation that made them the culprit.

CEA forbids any advertisements that haven't gotten approval from owners ( price included)

But CEA wont fine owners who agree to sell /rent at certain price but later change it when there is a taker ...

but the taker who fails to get the price as advertised will blame the agent ... not the owner... so how ?

Fully agree with your points that it is not always the agents' faults. Many honest agents work very hard and get richly rewarded.

Landlords complain about tenants here but in websites for tenants, they complain about unreasonable landlords

Probably what TS wanted was for people to share their bad experiences so that others can learn from them. Think that can be very useful

I have also experienced agents advertising incredible low prices, and when they were contacted claimed the unit has been sold but then asked whether there is any interest in other units. later on, couldn't find the actual transactions on URA

Think most agents are responsible but in any profession there are bound to have some not so good ones.

dmon
04-12-14, 01:04
You sound like an agent.

I'm not making a sweeping statement..here is to highlight the bad experiences and blacklisted agents

Owners or landlords definitely want higher rent and better selling prices.

Who knows market better? Who is able to share market prices?
Who is able to act as the balance the demand and supply?

Obviously professionalism comes in. I m sure you as an agent at times get upset with other agents who use dirty tactics

I have bought and sold condos before..so far have not rented
Agents more into sale rather than rent because commission lesser for rent
so when subsale market is quiet, agents fovus on rental market...I think

Anyway what you said is correct...agents rather go against their conscience instead of telling off the owners or landlords
lets not talk about renting to people from what countries...keeping the unit vacant for months to choose tenants profile that they like - not investors mentality.

This thread is to share bad experiences and those agents you want to avoid.

JEAPRP said :

all I am saying is ...

dmon
04-12-14, 01:09
Newbie1...you are spot on. To share n learn fm others.

I m sure those unethical agents will not last long in the industry...

To all..blacklist those agents that advertised cheap cheap and those who advertised rental units for yet to be completed projects..laughing stock. One e.g. king albert park KAP..I could not help laughing when I pass by the site each time

Fully agree with your points that it is not always the agents' faults. Many honest agents work very hard and get richly rewarded.

Landlords complain about tenants here but in websites for tenants, they complain about unreasonable landlords

Probably what TS wanted was for people to share their bad experiences so that others can learn from them. Think that can be very useful

I have also experienced agents advertising incredible low prices, and when they were contacted claimed the unit has been sold but then asked whether there is any interest in other units. later on, couldn't find the actual transactions on URA

Think most agents are responsible but in any profession there are bound to have some not so good ones.

irisng
04-12-14, 07:32
Newbie1...you are spot on. To share n learn fm others.

I m sure those unethical agents will not last long in the industry...

To all..blacklist those agents that advertised cheap cheap and those who advertised rental units for yet to be completed projects..laughing stock. One e.g. king albert park KAP..I could not help laughing when I pass by the site each time

There are always good and bad agents. IMHO, some agents advertised yet to complete project hoping that the tenants are able to wait for the project to complete but if it takes years to complete, then that is too ridiculous but if it will be ready in a couple of months time, maybe still possible. When my unit had just TOP, all defaults were not rectified yet, an agent approached me saying that there was a tenant who was willing to wait for 4 months for the unit but I rejected it because I prefer to get all the defaults rectified (those defaults that I know) before letting out. I do not want to keep disturbing the tenant on and off for default rectification.

There are also some agents who advertised some units, posting those photos that are not meant for that project.

Owners sometime do go overseas but like what was mentioned by proud owner earlier, if it is a completely unit, is possible to let the agent has the key but if it is not, then most likely, as an owner, myself, I will not let the agent has my key, even relatives (unless very trusted one), I might also think twice, to avoid any complication later on. Recently I have encountered a case (involve money) with one of my very close relative, it makes me feel very disappointed that sometimes very close relatives also cannot be trusted. I didn't pursue the case because of the close relationship.

dmon
04-12-14, 14:18
There are always good and bad agents. IMHO, some agents advertised yet to complete project hoping that the tenants are able to wait for the project to complete but if it takes years to complete, then that is too ridiculous but if it will be ready in a couple of months time, maybe still possible. When my unit had just TOP, all defaults were not rectified yet, an agent approached me saying that there was a tenant who was willing to wait for 4 months for the unit but I rejected it because I prefer to get all the defaults rectified (those defaults that I know) before letting out. I do not want to keep disturbing the tenant on and off for default rectification.

Then you are one good and considerate landlord

Agree that landlord should not bother tenant with the defects rectification

dmon
04-12-14, 14:22
There are also some agents who advertised some units, posting those photos that are not meant for that project.

Will it not be considered misrepresentation?
Bad reputation for the country if there are such agents

i guess potential tenants can only complain to CEA
but tenants will just let it go.

zeamybro
04-12-14, 14:55
Recently I have met up with this husband-and-wife team agent. They brought with them a few bags of props (flowers, ornaments, magazines, cushions, kitchen wares and other decos) to doll up my place and take photos for marketing purposes. Kinda interesting as I havent met any agents like them before :)

For me, i dont go for exclusivity and adopt the whoever-can-give-me-the-best-deal-will-get-the-deal strategy.... I dont really pin high hopes on agents that they will follow up well on the subsequent tenancy issues. If they do, its a bonus, and if they dont, there is nothing much I could do (commissions already paid) and I can only suck thumb. No need to put too much emotions or get angry with the agents cos most of the time is deal onz and fo....

Kelonguni
04-12-14, 16:17
I had a relative agent help secure tenant. Commission paid but follow up on complaints was poor - was told to put up with minor issues as long as they paid the rent on time.

Took over the job myself after the tenancy. Upped the rent over 10% over the next two renewals to compensate for issues.

Actually not too difficult to do most of the follow up work myself. But I will still engage agent and pay for their services in securing tenants for consideration.

It's tough being an agent in current market condition. No need to blacklist but just be aware of the patterns that some of them shows. I also called to buy a property several years back but was told landlord overseas for months on end. In the end also never got back to me. But there are many possible reasons, must give others the benefit of the doubt and chance. Who knows if we need that chance someday?

dmon
05-12-14, 01:30
Professionalism regardless of relationship

Upfront to all on expectations and be reasonable

I had a relative agent help secure tenant. Commission paid but follow up on complaints was poor - was told to put up with minor issues as long as they paid the rent on time.

Took over the job myself after the tenancy. Upped the rent over 10% over the next two renewals to compensate for issues.

Actually not too difficult to do most of the follow up work myself. But I will still engage agent and pay for their services in securing tenants for consideration.

It's tough being an agent in current market condition. No need to blacklist but just be aware of the patterns that some of them shows. I also called to buy a property several years back but was told landlord overseas for months on end. In the end also never got back to me. But there are many possible reasons, must give others the benefit of the doubt and chance. Who knows if we need that chance someday?

irisng
05-12-14, 07:18
Will it not be considered misrepresentation?
Bad reputation for the country if there are such agents

i guess potential tenants can only complain to CEA
but tenants will just let it go.

IMHO, this is the "strategy" of the sales. Tenants don't just base on the photos to decide the unit, they will go down personally to have a look. If I know that this agent has used other project photos, I will not use this agent because of the "trustworthiness".

I think it is quite common for the agents or any sales personnel to get profiles from their customers for future usage. Blacklisted them seems to be a bit harsh.

DC33_2008
05-12-14, 07:34
Not only view once but at least twice. Some actually do a thorough check on the cleaniless and condition of appliances. Got one case where the wife opens every drawer and cupboard in my apt. Just like sergant checking recruits at standby bed. Will never want to rent to them.
IMHO, this is the "strategy" of the sales. Tenants don't just base on the photos to decide the unit, they will go down personally to have a look. If I know that this agent has used other project photos, I will not use this agent because of the "trustworthiness".

I think it is quite common for the agents or any sales personnel to get profiles from their customers for future usage. Blacklisted them seems to be a bit harsh.

DMCK
05-12-14, 08:36
do you still engage agent to do the legal paper works if a close friend of yours want to rent your apartment?

DC33_2008
05-12-14, 13:31
I did not manage to find the agent to renew the tenancy agreement as I have bought over the place with tenancy. I did my own stamping and just used the same tenancy agreement. It is quite easy to be done but as long as I have witnesses in the renewal agreement.
do you still engage agent to do the legal paper works if a close friend of yours want to rent your apartment?

seasg
05-12-14, 16:05
Hi,

Just sharing my case, I requested an agent advertise to sale my unit. But after awhile she advertised with the price much lower by herself. She explained that if asked high no one view. She then asked open door for viewing with that low price, I didn't agree and requested she stop advertise my unit & block her call. Since then I often saw her advertise a unit in my condo, the same unit size, with always 15% lower compared to the lowest price in propertyguru. I believed that is my unit still advertising by herself. How I report this fraud case, even though I intend to keep quiet as that is no ham to me. But this agent have crossed the line.

Thanks

teddybear
05-12-14, 16:41
What you experienced is very common, I have come across many such agents!

They advertise super low asking price in order to "fish" for buyers and then when buyers asked about the unit, he/she will said the unit no longer available and volunteer to represent the buyer as buyer's agent to find other similar units......
In doing so, they are spoiling the market for the property you are trying to sell because it is very difficult for seller to sell at much higher price than what they advertised especially they pretend to advertise so many units for sale at about similar price!

There are also seller's agent who advertise super low as well (especially when market is bad), when get offer near those low-ball price then try to "sweet-talk" and persuade you to sell at those low-ball price!

However, luckily I found that these people tend to shift such tactics from estate to estate once their tactics no longer work in a particular estate (because all those potential buyers wanting to buy a unit in that estate will sooner or later know that those are just fake advertisements!)..................

Not sure whether there is any law to rein in such dishonest tactics by agents?

Hi,

Just sharing my case, I requested an agent advertise to sale my unit. But after awhile she advertised with the price much lower by herself. She explained that if asked high no one view. She then asked open door for viewing with that low price, I didn't agree and requested she stop advertise my unit & block her call. Since then I often saw her advertise a unit in my condo, the same unit size, with always 15% lower compared to the lowest price in propertyguru. I believed that is my unit still advertising by herself. How I report this fraud case, even though I intend to keep quiet as that is no ham to me. But this agent have crossed the line.

Thanks

proud owner
05-12-14, 17:08
My best friend is an agent.

so is my brother in law.

I hear a lot of their 'sad' stories. how unprofessional some seller/landlord/tenants/buyers can be ..

hence I tend to be very open minded .. never jump to conclusion too quickly that whenever something is wrong ..IT IS THE AGENT's Fault.

as an investor myself ... I have encountered many unprofessional Seller/ landlord/tenant/buyer too ....

like someone said ... whoever they are , be it agent or not ... they wont last long ...

seasg
05-12-14, 18:52
However, got feeling that that agent got lots lots free time. Keep pop up her advertisement every single day since last 5 months. And dropping price few times... Make the market looks badly!

Newbie1
05-12-14, 19:17
My best friend is an agent.

so is my brother in law.

I hear a lot of their 'sad' stories. how unprofessional some seller/landlord/tenants/buyers can be ..

hence I tend to be very open minded .. never jump to conclusion too quickly that whenever something is wrong ..IT IS THE AGENT's Fault.

as an investor myself ... I have encountered many unprofessional Seller/ landlord/tenant/buyer too ....

like someone said ... whoever they are , be it agent or not ... they wont last long ...

Would be interesting to hear stories of difficult sellers/landlords/tenants also

Have heard of a seller who kept shifting the goalpost after offers were made, and it is not just the buyers who gave up, even the handling agent gave up after sometime!

irisng
05-12-14, 20:37
However, got feeling that that agent got lots lots free time. Keep pop up her advertisement every single day since last 5 months. And dropping price few times... Make the market looks badly!

I think this type of agent should be blacklisted. It is no good for the sellers but good for the buyers. Buyers will use this advertising price as a guide. Even for rental also, wonder how true is the advertising price? For landlords and tenants , I think both will base on the advertising price as a guide.

teddybear
05-12-14, 20:54
Agreed, but CEA has no guideline to rule out such false advertisements as unethical and no different from a cheat?
Buyers don't really benefit too because most likely they will never get to buy the unit in the estate they like because they are still waiting to buy at the "artificial low-ball" price advertised by the agent and complaining why sellers keep changing "goal-post" and asking for higher price after they offered?.........

I think this type of agent should be blacklisted. It is no good for the sellers but good for the buyers. Buyers will use this advertising price as a guide. Even for rental also, wonder how true is the advertising price? For landlords and tenants , I think both will base on the advertising price as a guide.

proud owner
05-12-14, 22:09
Would be interesting to hear stories of difficult sellers/landlords/tenants also

Have heard of a seller who kept shifting the goalpost after offers were made, and it is not just the buyers who gave up, even the handling agent gave up after sometime!

I went along with an oversea friend to view a rental units ...

apparently the last tenant paid 10k a mth... however the unit was vacant without tenant for 6mths ...

the owner lowered the price to 8.5k ...

we viewed 2 similar units .... both asking 8.5k .... to me its only natural that we ask for lower than that ... just trying our luck ...

so we offered 7.5k VERBALLY to the first unit and was rejected on the spot.

we then proceeded to make the same offer of 7.5 k to the second unit and was accepted.

3 days later the agent of the 1st called .. we told her that our offer 7.5k was accepted by the second unit ...

the landlord of the first unit then scolded us ... said we unprofessional .. that we didn't give her a chance hahhahah

my friend moved in a a mth later ...

they have been there 6 mths already ... the first unit is still not taken ... still advertising at 8.5k

another instance ... (heard from my BIL)

he advertised a unit for rent at 4k ... FULLY furnished. As it is an investment unit, landlord would not remove any furniture.
a client came to view ... countered at 3.8k and was accepted.

TA signed...etc etc

tenant then started to write email to owner agent asking landlord to remove Sofa, dining table and all 3 beds.

As an agent, my BIL has stated right from the start that landlord would not remove any furniture.
YET after signing TA, tenant started their nonsense.

In any case, my BIL related their request to the landlord who took 2 weeks to reply. landlord wouldn't remove anything...

Tenant then complained that agent is not doing his job, that agent ignored her request.

It was the landlord who took 2 weeks to reply.

tenant even threatened to complain to CEA that my BIL ignored her etc.

Seriously ... if you don't want those furniture, then DONT TAKE THIS UNIT. Find something that it UNFURNISHED.

Yet she took that fully furnished unit (only becos it was very well renovated), and then request landlord to remove so many pieces of items.

Would you do if you are the landlord ?

these are just but 2 examples.

there are more... will post in future.

proud owner
05-12-14, 22:19

I know of a condo .... 19xx sqft 3+1 bedroom ...

there are several units for rent asking 6.5 to 7.5k ... depending of facing and how high etc ...

YET there is 1 particular unit by a particular agent ... advertise 4.8k NEGO some more..

if the location and condition is good... I personally wouldn't mind renting out mine and move there ... arbitrage and take some rental profit.

so I called up ...

indeed it is 4.8k neg ...

I went to view... it was Original condition, unit number ok for Asian but not ok for angmos ....that condo is Ang mo haven ... yet no taker despite the low asking price ...

so if one didn't go view it ... and begin to question the integrity of that agent, is it then fair to blacklist him ??? or judge that he very free ?

irisng
06-12-14, 18:21
I went along with an oversea friend to view a rental units ...

apparently the last tenant paid 10k a mth... however the unit was vacant without tenant for 6mths ...

the owner lowered the price to 8.5k ...

we viewed 2 similar units .... both asking 8.5k .... to me its only natural that we ask for lower than that ... just trying our luck ...

so we offered 7.5k VERBALLY to the first unit and was rejected on the spot.

we then proceeded to make the same offer of 7.5 k to the second unit and was accepted.

3 days later the agent of the 1st called .. we told her that our offer 7.5k was accepted by the second unit ...

the landlord of the first unit then scolded us ... said we unprofessional .. that we didn't give her a chance hahhahah

my friend moved in a a mth later ...

they have been there 6 mths already ... the first unit is still not taken ... still advertising at 8.5k

another instance ... (heard from my BIL)

he advertised a unit for rent at 4k ... FULLY furnished. As it is an investment unit, landlord would not remove any furniture.
a client came to view ... countered at 3.8k and was accepted.

TA signed...etc etc

tenant then started to write email to owner agent asking landlord to remove Sofa, dining table and all 3 beds.

As an agent, my BIL has stated right from the start that landlord would not remove any furniture.
YET after signing TA, tenant started their nonsense.

In any case, my BIL related their request to the landlord who took 2 weeks to reply. landlord wouldn't remove anything...

Tenant then complained that agent is not doing his job, that agent ignored her request.

It was the landlord who took 2 weeks to reply.

tenant even threatened to complain to CEA that my BIL ignored her etc.

Seriously ... if you don't want those furniture, then DONT TAKE THIS UNIT. Find something that it UNFURNISHED.

Yet she took that fully furnished unit (only becos it was very well renovated), and then request landlord to remove so many pieces of items.

Would you do if you are the landlord ?

these are just but 2 examples.

there are more... will post in future.

My friend met this type of tenant too. Want him to remove all the newly bought furnitures, reason being that he doesn't like the wood color, he wants all black.

DC33_2008
06-12-14, 19:16
That is why better to keep apartment partial furnished.
My friend met this type of tenant too. Want him to remove all the newly bought furnitures, reason being that he doesn't like the wood color, he wants all black.

teddybear
06-12-14, 19:36
Did you make an offer?
May be when you make an offer, the unit suddenly become taken already or taken off market? :(

I know of a condo .... 19xx sqft 3+1 bedroom ...

there are several units for rent asking 6.5 to 7.5k ... depending of facing and how high etc ...

YET there is 1 particular unit by a particular agent ... advertise 4.8k NEGO some more..

if the location and condition is good... I personally wouldn't mind renting out mine and move there ... arbitrage and take some rental profit.

so I called up ...

indeed it is 4.8k neg ...

I went to view... it was Original condition, unit number ok for Asian but not ok for angmos ....that condo is Ang mo haven ... yet no taker despite the low asking price ...

so if one didn't go view it ... and begin to question the integrity of that agent, is it then fair to blacklist him ??? or judge that he very free ?

irisng
06-12-14, 22:41
we told her that our offer 7.5k was accepted by the second unit ...

the landlord of the first unit then scolded us ... said we unprofessional .. that we didn't give her a chance hahhahah.

I have this experience but is the other way round. I'm the owner. Agent called me telling me that there was an offer but below my expected price. I told him I will let him know tomorrow because we have another viewing. By the time I called the agent tomorrow, he said the tenant had already accepted another offer from other project. I just blame my luck lor. Luckily not long later, I have another offer but slightly lower than the 1st offer, still better than none, otherwise I don't know how long will I have to wait again.

newbie11
06-12-14, 22:53
Few hundred cheaper is better than one month wait.

dmon
07-12-14, 14:56
Let's focus on the thread title

I see a lot of fingers pointing to landlords/ owners/ tenants/ buyers when there's an issue.
Never my problem
But I also see a lot of tactics used by agents to confuse all

Some forumers shared the experience of
1) agents tactic to advertise low low price
2) ....

Please add on

irisng
08-12-14, 07:44
Let's focus on the thread title

I see a lot of fingers pointing to landlords/ owners/ tenants/ buyers when there's an issue.
Never my problem
But I also see a lot of tactics used by agents to confuse all

Some forumers shared the experience of
1) agents tactic to advertise low low price
2) ....

Please add on

Inorder to close the deal, some agents will persuade the sellers or owners to reduce their pricing while some will just follow whatever the sellers or owners ask for.

When I first sold my house, my "green horn" agent had closed the deal with another agent (Ms A). There was a documentation fee (couldn't remember what fee was that) agreed by Ms A with my agent to be paid by the buyer but after signing the agreement, we were asked to pay the fee because Ms A said that she never heard properly what my agent said. Luckily it was just only a small sum, so we just paid for it, no point arguing.

proud owner
09-12-14, 20:44
Inorder to close the deal, some agents will persuade the sellers or owners to reduce their pricing while some will just follow whatever the sellers or owners ask for.

When I first sold my house, my "green horn" agent had closed the deal with another agent (Ms A). There was a documentation fee (couldn't remember what fee was that) agreed by Ms A with my agent to be paid by the buyer but after signing the agreement, we were asked to pay the fee because Ms A said that she never heard properly what my agent said. Luckily it was just only a small sum, so we just paid for it, no point arguing.

consider this scenario ...

if you have an investment unit out for rent ...

last tenant of 2 yrs paying $10k moved out in jan 2014 ... by jun it was still not taken up ... your agent continues to advertise at $10k as instructed by you ...

meanwhile 3 more tenants of other unit of similar size (rent) moved out in Jun ... now including yours there are 4 units available (fighting for tenant)

come Sep .. You begin to wonder if your agent is doing his job at all ...

Negativity sets in .. you start talking to friends and colleagues ... they also added more negative views ..

One good friend / relative then recommend their agent to you ...

This new agent then analyze and reason with you .. " The longer you wait and hope for the same rental price, the more competitions, Lets lower the price to 8k..."

You may lose out 2k / mth but if they remain empty for another 6 mths , you are already $48k richer ..

You agreed ... he advertise lower ... and your unit was rented out within the month ..

IS the first agent LOUSY ?

Some agents advertise lower with the consent of the owners. I do believe some don't.

Yes agent should always obtain your approval prior to advertising a lower price.

If he didn't, but come to you with a tenant at $8k 6 mths earlier than the other 3 units which remain vacant till DEC ...

will you still think he is DIRTY ? or he is smart ?

I am not saying such tactic is acceptable ... I personally would want agent to get my consent first.

I believe such tactics had worked before ... that's why some agents still do it...

on one hand , I wont agree or like it ...

on the other hand , this agent knows exactly how many units are fighting for tenants .. and he "takes the initiative" ... "think outside the box" and get you some "income" sooner while the other owners with "obedient agents" have the units remain empty for another 6mths ..

Should we be happy about this ?

2 side s to a coin ...

DC33_2008
09-12-14, 21:44
Final decision lies with the landlord. There is no right or wrong. It is just a matter of calculated the risk then. Should not blame anybody after decision is made.

last tenant of 2 yrs paying $10k moved out in jan 2014 ... by jun it was still not taken up ... your agent continues to advertise at $10k as instructed by you ...

meanwhile 3 more tenants of other unit of similar size (rent) moved out in Jun ... now including yours there are 4 units available (fighting for tenant)

Negativity sets in .. you start talking to friends and colleagues ... they also added more negative views ..

This new agent then analyze and reason with you .. " The longer you wait and hope for the same rental price, the more competitions, Lets lower the price to 8k..."

You may lose out 2k / mth but if they remain empty for another 6 mths , you are already $48k richer ..

You agreed ... he advertise lower ... and your unit was rented out within the month ..

Some agents advertise lower with the consent of the owners. I do believe some don't.

Yes agent should always obtain your approval prior to advertising a lower price.

If he didn't, but come to you with a tenant at $8k 6 mths earlier than the other 3 units which remain vacant till DEC ...

I am not saying such tactic is acceptable ... I personally would want agent to get my consent first.

I believe such tactics had worked before ... that's why some agents still do it...

on the other hand , this agent knows exactly how many units are fighting for tenants .. and he "takes the initiative" ... "think outside the box" and get you some "income" sooner while the other owners with "obedient agents" have the units remain empty for another 6mths ..

2 side s to a coin ...

irisng
09-12-14, 21:46

2 side s to a coin ...
Yes, I agree, lower of rental or selling price is based on case by case basis. But my case is different, before my agent started to market my unit, she already asked me to lower my selling price, keep pouring "cold water" that I couldn't sell at this price. My neighbour was west facing and yet he could sell about $130k more than mine, why must I kept lowering my sales price. Mine was North South facing and was corner house. After we had closed the deal, as a friend, she told me, this was her 1st deal, so she must close the deal. Just like any shops in the shopping centre, the 1st sales is very important, they believe that if they can close the 1st sales, the rest of the day will have no problem, this was what I heard from many of the sales person.

proud owner
09-12-14, 22:02
Yes, I agree, lower of rental or selling price is based on case by case basis. But my case is different, before my agent started to market my unit, she already asked me to lower my selling price, keep pouring "cold water" that I couldn't sell at this price. My neighbour was west facing and yet he could sell about $130k more than mine, why must I kept lowering my sales price. Mine was North South facing and was corner house. After we had closed the deal, as a friend, she told me, this was her 1st deal, so she must close the deal. Just like any shops in the shopping centre, the 1st sales is very important, they believe that if they can close the 1st sales, the rest of the day will have no problem, this was what I heard from many of the sales person.

Then you should stop using him/her ...

Should at least try first lah ... this kind of agent ... jialat ...

Kelonguni
10-12-14, 06:01

There are many who have good intentions in wanting to give "cheaters" a lesson but ends up having to retract.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/blogger-retracts-stanchart-marathon-cheat-claim-20141210

Better to give others second chance.

irisng
10-12-14, 07:35
Then you should stop using him/her ...

Should at least try first lah ... this kind of agent ... jialat ...

Yup, this was also my 1st time, because she was my spouse's colleague wife, so to "give face" to him, we let her try, never knew that it turned out to be like that, really learn from mistake. So for my rental house, I never go back to her. Once bitten twice shy. That's why I said in other thread before, sometimes engaging friend, when come to dispute, we are "paiseh" to "talk" or "negotiate" with her unless we really want our relationship to go sour.

DMCK
10-12-14, 08:21
any agents who bring me tenants is a good agent

irisng
10-12-14, 12:54
any agents who bring me tenants is a good agent

How about if the tenant profile is no good eg delaying payment or a fussy tenant? I think cannot blame the agent also, he will have problem because the owner will keep harrasing him.

DC33_2008
10-12-14, 13:59
It is always good not too not deal with agents that are somehow related. Difficult to leave out the emotion part.
Yup, this was also my 1st time, because she was my spouse's colleague wife, so to "give face" to him, we let her try, never knew that it turned out to be like that, really learn from mistake. So for my rental house, I never go back to her. Once bitten twice shy. That's why I said in other thread before, sometimes engaging friend, when come to dispute, we are "paiseh" to "talk" or "negotiate" with her unless we really want our relationship to go sour.

irisng
11-12-14, 07:30
It is always good not too not deal with agents that are somehow related. Difficult to leave out the emotion part.

Agreed. Now I have found this agent, he is quite good and responsible. Yesterday he called me telling me that my tenant wants to renew for another year but see whether I can reduce the rental by $200 or not. What do you all think? My agent said he will try to negotiate with my tenant, if can't then better grab it because with today's market plus lots of units are coming up around my surrounding plus they are good tenant. I have already agreed to it, don't know how is the outcome now.

DC33_2008
11-12-14, 07:59
It depends on how you value your existing tenant, prevailing rental around the condo, and what % drop of your current rent. Shld not drop more than 3% if your unit is far superior in view and location. Just my opinion.
Agreed. Now I have found this agent, he is quite good and responsible. Yesterday he called me telling me that my tenant wants to renew for another year but see whether I can reduce the rental by $200 or not. What do you all think? My agent said he will try to negotiate with my tenant, if can't then better grab it because with today's market plus lots of units are coming up around my surrounding plus they are good tenant. I have already agreed to it, don't know how is the outcome now.

irisng
11-12-14, 10:10
It depends on how you value your existing tenant, prevailing rental around the condo, and what % drop of your current rent. Shld not drop more than 3% if your unit is far superior in view and location. Just my opinion.

Thank you.

proud owner
11-12-14, 16:00

if you have time, go walk around within/ and without your condo ... get an idea how many units are looking for tenants ..

counter check with properguru....

if there are a lot vacant ... and IF the tenant has been hassle free ... I will be more than ok to reduce $200 ...

remember , if you lose them, it may take you 3 to 6 mths to find another ...

losing $2.4k ( 200 x 12) if better than " maintaining' the rent and lose 3mths / 6mths of income ( assuming rental 3k, that's 9k to 18k )

irisng
12-12-14, 07:22
if you have time, go walk around within/ and without your condo ... get an idea how many units are looking for tenants ..

counter check with properguru....

if there are a lot vacant ... and IF the tenant has been hassle free ... I will be more than ok to reduce $200 ...

losing $2.4k ( 200 x 12) if better than " maintaining' the rent and lose 3mths / 6mths of income ( assuming rental 3k, that's 9k to 18k )

Thank you. We are thinking that also. Yesterday another agent called me asking me about the rental but I told her that my tenant is going to renew. I asked her about the rental price and she told me $x,xxx which is my current rental price but I'm not sure whether will this agent able to get me tenant or not or will she just asking. But since I have already told my agent, then I will just stick onto it but so far have not heard any news from my agent yet for the final confirmation.

DMCK
12-12-14, 10:04
sometime wait can miss out both deal, secure any tenant which can confirm fast, with the market situation now.

dmon
12-12-14, 18:05

No benchmark on % drop. But most important is to consider whether tenant will rent newer condo in surroundings whilst others remain same

dmon
12-12-14, 18:07
sometime wait can miss out both deal, secure any tenant which can confirm fast, with the market situation now.

Agree. I myself as landlord locked in 2 years against upcoming newer condos in surroundings

Longer you think the worst it gets

Agents will be able to advise...if they don't you might as well change to those agents who keep you updated on market conditions.

dmon
12-12-14, 18:12
Thank you. We are thinking that also. Yesterday another agent called me asking me about the rental but I told her that my tenant is going to renew. I asked her about the rental price and she told me $x,xxx which is my current rental price but I'm not sure whether will this agent able to get me tenant or not or will she just asking. But since I have already told my agent, then I will just stick onto it but so far have not heard any news from my agent yet for the final confirmation.

Beware....one buddy got it from agent on such tactic.
New agent then approach your existing tenant and scout for other unit for your existing tenant whilst look for new tenant for your unit.

2 transactions for agent but later... My buddy's unit left vacant for 1.5 months ....buddy regretted ..one bird in hand versus 2 in the bush

dmon
12-12-14, 18:22
Some forumers shared the experiences
1) agents' tactic to advertise low low price for other units
2) best not use agents who are relatives or family friends
3) agents who reply 'unit rented/sold' first instance you call, without able to tell you when unit sold. And agent offering assistance later.
4) agent who do not respond to your messages or call, no follow up
5) .......

dmon
12-12-14, 18:26
3) agents who reply 'unit rented/sold' first instance you call, without able to tell you when unit sold. And agent offering assistance later.
5) avoid agents who advertised units with no interior photos
6) be cautious when agent tell you your rent is lower than market when you wish to renew your lease with your existing tenant

proud owner
12-12-14, 21:28
5) avoid agents who advertised units with no interior photos
6) be cautious when agent tell you your rent is lower than market when you wish to renew your lease with your existing tenant

6) not necessarily true ..

I had a unit out for rent for over 4mths at 8.8k ... not taker ... I lowered to 8k and eventually to 7.8 and was taken up ..in late Nov ..

2 days later an agent called .. said have tenant for me at 8.8k ... told him I rented out already .. at 7.8k ...

I told him to call my friend who owns a unit next door ... who was also looking to rent ... true enuff ... he managed to bring a tenant in at 8.8k

sometimes its all about timing ..

I tried to rent mine from july ... no taker ...

came nov .. a lot of expat families came in ... and my friend rented his at 8.8k ...

irisng
13-12-14, 18:28

Thanks for all the valuable advise. I have agreed to the price requested by my tenant, agent will be preparing the contract these few days.Actually my agent tried to help me to negotiate more but my tenant said they are going to buy some furnitures and put mine aside, I wonder how they are going to put as mine is a shoebox unit.

Beware....one buddy got it from agent on such tactic.
New agent then approach your existing tenant and scout for other unit for your existing tenant whilst look for new tenant for your unit.
2 transactions for agent but later... My buddy's unit left vacant for 1.5 months ....buddy regretted ..one bird in hand versus 2 in the bush

That's right. I thought the agent that called me later on already has a tenant for me, so I asked her where the tenant comes from, she told me from various places, I knew is her tactics, luckily I have learn a lot from this forum, so I better take the advise from all of you, grab my current tenant first before too late.

dmon
16-12-14, 13:03
Agree that at times timing plays a big part

But higher rent may not be good for landlord.

Sharing my experiences. Potential tenant okay to pay $300 higher than my existing tenant then. But potential tenant wants whole unit repainted, lighting changed, mattresses changed (only a year old), sofa changed, special wash of whole unit..easily cost me additional $2-3k.

My existing expat couple rented my unit without additional costs to me

At times, it's not about $$$ it's about the hassle. Agent volunteered to help me out
I'm sure she gets a commision cut at my expense.

Anyone has similar experience

So higher rent normally translates to more demanding tenants.

6) not necessarily true ..

I had a unit out for rent for over 4mths at 8.8k ... not taker ... I lowered to 8k and eventually to 7.8 and was taken up ..in late Nov ..

2 days later an agent called .. said have tenant for me at 8.8k ... told him I rented out already .. at 7.8k ...

I told him to call my friend who owns a unit next door ... who was also looking to rent ... true enuff ... he managed to bring a tenant in at 8.8k

sometimes its all about timing ..

I tried to rent mine from july ... no taker ...

came nov .. a lot of expat families came in ... and my friend rented his at 8.8k ...

dmon
16-12-14, 13:10
That's right. I thought the agent that called me later on already has a tenant for me, so I asked her where the tenant comes from, she told me from various places, I knew is her tactics, luckily I have learn a lot from this forum, so I better take the advise from all of you, grab my current tenant first before too late.

Yup there are agents who try to confuse and tempt landlords and later can't deliver any tenant.
Landlord ends without tenants.

Usual response when you go into details - potential tenants from various countries

This forum also to share what other reasonable landlords/ sellersare doing...hope there are less unreasonable landlords / sellers

Landlords or sellers - do not forget that supply will be increasing in next 1-2 years and there will be more landlords or sellers in the market. But if you wish to be unreasonable please continue to do so. Benefits me at least.

DC33_2008
16-12-14, 20:35
You are worst off with the additional $300 as it will be co-shared with agent as commission.

Sharing my experiences. Potential tenant okay to pay $300 higher than my existing tenant then. But potential tenant wants whole unit repainted, lighting changed, mattresses changed (only a year old), sofa changed, special wash of whole unit..easily cost me additional $2-3k.

At times, it's not about $$$ it's about the hassle. Agent volunteered to help me out

irisng
17-12-14, 07:21

Just to share my experience. One of the agents brought a Singaporean tenant (family of 4 adults) for me, he was willing to pay $300 more than my existing tenant. The next day, my agent sms me saying that the tenant asked whether they could shift in the next day or not and would get his son to issue me a cheque few days later. At that time, no deposit and no contract signed yet. We found something fishy, so in the end we rejected the offer, then later found this existing tenant, though is lower but so far is a good pay master.

proud owner
17-12-14, 20:24

in your case ... the $300 pm is definitely not worth it.

for my case, both mine and my friend's were exactly the same and brand new ... only installed lightings and curtains.

and both tenants did not ask for anything else

so its all a matter of timing ..

GORDON
17-12-14, 23:39
Just to share my experience. One of the agents brought a Singaporean tenant (family of 4 adults) for me, he was willing to pay $300 more than my existing tenant. The next day, my agent sms me saying that the tenant asked whether they could shift in the next day or not and would get his son to issue me a cheque few days later. At that time, no deposit and no contract signed yet. We found something fishy, so in the end we rejected the offer, then later found this existing tenant, though is lower but so far is a good pay master.

Remember This Singaporean Family:

Police were called in after a family of four refused to pay 2 months rent and barred their landlord and police from entering the rental house.

Fri, Jun 07, 2013
AsiaOne

SINGAPORE - A woman who refused to pay up two months of rent ended up in a stand-off with police officers on Thursday afternoon, resulting in the arrest of her three children who had behaved violently towards them.

She told the Chinese evening daily that she learnt her tenant, Ms Chng, had been previously evicted for after engaging a lawyer to handle the case.

He told her that his checks showed Ms Chng have been evolved in four previous eviction cases for failing to pay rent.

The family, including two brothers aged 17 and 12 and a sister aged 16, had rented terraces and semi-detached houses in places like Yio Chu Kang, Serangoon and Payar Lebar.

Previous houseowners had to call in bailiffs to issue the family with notices to vacate their premises.

irisng
18-12-14, 07:10
Remember This Singaporean Family:

Police were called in after a family of four refused to pay 2 months rent and barred their landlord and police from entering the rental house.

I wonder whether the family (4 adults) that came to view my unit is the same family as you mentioned above. If yes, really have to thank GOD to help me to reject it. When he first told me that one of his sons could sleep in the balcony (because my unit is quite small, 2 bedroom can only sleep 3 adults), at that time, I already don't feel quite good with it. Then followed by the sms that made us more uncomfortable with it, even my agent also advised us not to let them moved in first without paying and signing the contract.

irisng
18-12-14, 07:14
in your case ... the $300 pm is definitely not worth it.

for my case, both mine and my friend's were exactly the same and brand new ... only installed lightings and curtains.

and both tenants did not ask for anything else

so its all a matter of timing ..

I agree that timing is really VERY important. I had that experience too.

DC33_2008
18-12-14, 08:52
The nationality and profession of tenants are important. I had someone who view my place said he can only py my 1 mth instead of the usual 2 months security deposit. I discount him strait away.
I wonder whether the family (4 adults) that came to view my unit is the same family as you mentioned above. If yes, really have to thank GOD to help me to reject it. When he first told me that one of his sons could sleep in the balcony (because my unit is quite small, 2 bedroom can only sleep 3 adults), at that time, I already don't feel quite good with it. Then followed by the sms that made us more uncomfortable with it, even my agent also advised us not to let them moved in first without paying and signing the contract.

dmon
19-12-14, 09:18

Scary....tenant so desperate.

Lucky you to reject and not take the additional $300
Otherwise nothing on record to evict tenant if tenant dont pay rent

What shared here is good for landlord- dont rush for additional $$$ tenant's profile is important

dmon
19-12-14, 09:20
The nationality and profession of tenants are important. I had someone who view my place said he can only py my 1 mth instead of the usual 2 months security deposit. I discount him strait away.

If any potential tenant not following market norm, discount them straight away

dmon
19-12-14, 09:21

At least your agent did not rush or pressure you to sign the tenant...phew