PDA

View Full Version : Makeway View en bloc deal falls through

mr funny
01-04-08, 12:17
Published April 1, 2008

Makeway View en bloc deal falls through

Development charge higher than expected, says buyer

By KALPANA RASHIWALA

(SINGAPORE) The $162.8 million collective sale of Makeway View in the Newton area to an associate of Bravo Building Construction has been rescinded.

BT understands that the one per cent of purchase price paid by Bravo so far has been forfeited.

A Bravo spokeswoman told BT yesterday that it had earlier sought payment extensions to ascertain the quantum of development charge (DC) payable.

Confirming the move to rescind the sale, she added: 'We decided not to proceed with the Makeway deal as the actual DC turned out to be higher than what we had been told. So the breakeven price would end up being much higher than what we expected. That's why my partner (in the proposed acquisition) decided not to proceed further.'

She confirmed that the initial information about the DC did not come from Knight Frank, which was the marketing agent representing the owners of Makeway View.

The $162.8 million deal for Makeway View announced in early November last year, reflected a unit land price of about $1,583 psf ppr including an estimated $21.5 million DC at the time.

Bravo group was one of the biggest buyers of collective sale sites last year, with deals like Tulip Garden for $516 million. Bravo formed separate associate companies for the acquisitions of the various collective sales sites, as the plan was to have different partners for each project.

A Bravo associate has so far paid the initial 5 per cent deposit on Tulip Garden, amounting to about $25 million.

Tulip Garden's collective sale was approved by STB in late February and the Bravo associate was supposed to have made the second 5 per cent payment shortly after that. However, it requested for an extension on this till early April.

Bravo's spokeswoman said her company is seeking a further extension to early June to pay this sum and to also extend the completion deadline for the deal from late May currently to early August.

'We need time to sort out an agreement with our partner and at the same time, sort out the financing arrangement.'

Tulip Garden's owners are expected to meet this weekend to decide whether to give the payment extensions. Tulip Garden's price works out to $1,018 psf per plot ratio price (no DC is payable).

Unregistered
01-04-08, 12:23
Published April 1, 2008

By KALPANA RASHIWALA

(SINGAPORE) The $162.8 million collective sale of Makeway View in the Newton area to an associate of Bravo Building Construction has been rescinded.

BT understands that the one per cent of purchase price paid by Bravo so far has been forfeited.

A Bravo spokeswoman told BT yesterday that it had earlier sought payment extensions to ascertain the quantum of development charge (DC) payable.

Confirming the move to rescind the sale, she added: 'We decided not to proceed with the Makeway deal as the actual DC turned out to be higher than what we had been told. So the breakeven price would end up being much higher than what we expected. That's why my partner (in the proposed acquisition) decided not to proceed further.'

She confirmed that the initial information about the DC did not come from Knight Frank, which was the marketing agent representing the owners of Makeway View.

The $162.8 million deal for Makeway View announced in early November last year, reflected a unit land price of about $1,583 psf ppr including an estimated $21.5 million DC at the time.

Bravo group was one of the biggest buyers of collective sale sites last year, with deals like Tulip Garden for $516 million. Bravo formed separate associate companies for the acquisitions of the various collective sales sites, as the plan was to have different partners for each project.

A Bravo associate has so far paid the initial 5 per cent deposit on Tulip Garden, amounting to about $25 million.

Tulip Garden's collective sale was approved by STB in late February and the Bravo associate was supposed to have made the second 5 per cent payment shortly after that. However, it requested for an extension on this till early April.

Bravo's spokeswoman said her company is seeking a further extension to early June to pay this sum and to also extend the completion deadline for the deal from late May currently to early August.

'We need time to sort out an agreement with our partner and at the same time, sort out the financing arrangement.'

Tulip Garden's owners are expected to meet this weekend to decide whether to give the payment extensions. Tulip Garden's price works out to $1,018 psf per plot ratio price (no DC is payable).

DEVELOPER SMART.......

Unregistered
01-04-08, 12:23
Published April 1, 2008

By KALPANA RASHIWALA

DEVELOPER SMART.......run first

Unregistered
01-04-08, 14:40
DEVELOPER SMART.......run first

this is a no standard 3rd tier developer. period. only the first tier developers like Capitaland, CDL, Guocoland, Wing Tai can be trusted.

Unregistered
01-04-08, 15:23
this is a no standard 3rd tier developer. period. only the first tier developers like Capitaland, CDL, Guocoland, Wing Tai can be trusted.

soon you will see more smaller developers doing the same, then you will see lesser demand for homes (resale), then you will see price falling (may not be immediate though, perhaps next year when supply starts increasing at a faster rate as more TOPs).....

Unregistered
01-04-08, 16:30
What a poor excuse.

Unregistered
02-04-08, 00:43
I pity the home owners.

Some of them could already have committed themselves to purchases of new replacement homes.

My estate is also going through en-bloc although deep down my heart, I know that it is just a futile time-wasting exercise.

I believe that as a standard clause put in place by almost all property agents, even if the buyer pulls out, the agent will still be entitled to the commission. That means the home owners will get almost next to nothing.

Unregistered
02-04-08, 00:51
#7, oh dear, this is really not good. Agree with you that any enbloc attempt now would be futile, unless owners sell real cheap. Construction costs is so high, it would be silly for any developer to want to develop any land at this point to fight with the big projects like IR, MRT, Youth Olympic Village, etc., for both manpower and materials.

Unregistered
02-04-08, 01:22
#7, oh dear, this is really not good. Agree with you that any enbloc attempt now would be futile, unless owners sell real cheap. Construction costs is so high, it would be silly for any developer to want to develop any land at this point to fight with the big projects like IR, MRT, Youth Olympic Village, etc., for both manpower and materials.

BRAVO !?!?!

Unregistered
02-04-08, 09:49
There are seldom "WINNERS" in an "ENBLOC!". Its a "GAME OF INTRIGUED!"

Unregistered
02-04-08, 10:02
Then why go enbloc? I heard that one before, no winners in enblocs.

Unregistered
02-04-08, 14:49
Then why go enbloc? I heard that one before, no winners in enblocs.
Don't think the owners at Farrer Court agree with you. They have made a good killing there ....unless the developer also goes belly up.

Unregistered
02-04-08, 19:13
#12, Lol, true lah, but there is only one Farrer Court.

Unregistered
02-04-08, 21:44
Don't think the owners at Farrer Court agree with you. They have made a good killing there ....unless the developer also goes belly up.

Farrer Court residents collected their 2.1m & 2.2m on 12 March less 50k rentention money. Some win and some will lose in the en bloc saga!

Unregistered
03-04-08, 00:21

That's probably the reward for not desperately rushing to sell. FC owners set respectable reserve price and their tender period was abt 8 weeks - long enough for established well governed listed company to obtain the financing and proper approval to put in a tender bid which the company could/would honour.

Unregistered
03-04-08, 07:27
There are seldom "WINNERS" in an "ENBLOC!". Its a "GAME OF INTRIGUED!"
And the winners are :- 1) The 10 billion in UBS?

2) The Stamp Duty?

3)The Development Charges?

4)The GST?

Unregistered
03-04-08, 17:20
Those who are stuck in the "enbloc impotence", its just natures way of saying "no hard feelings!"

Unregistered
03-04-08, 17:54
Those who are stuck in the "enbloc impotence", its just natures way of saying "no hard feelings!"
What would nature be saying to those stuck in the "enbloc drudgery?

Unregistered
04-04-08, 09:28
And the winners are :- 1) The 10 billion in UBS?

2) The Stamp Duty?

3)The Development Charges?

4)The GST?
Why are enblocs filled with dazzling suspense and breathtaking actions?

Because the winners earn their money through thick and thin.

Unregistered
04-04-08, 09:50
What would nature be saying to those stuck in the "enbloc drudgery?
Nature's way of saying, enjoy your stay in the nursing home.

Unregistered
04-04-08, 11:57
IF ONLY I KNEW
WHAT AWAITED MAKEWAY AND TULIP
AND THE MANY WHO THOUGHT THEY COULD FLIP
BRAVO BRAVO EVERYONE SCREAMED
WHEN THE DEAL WAS SIGNED THEY BEAMED
ALAS SOME COUNTED CHICKS BEFORE THEY WERE HATCHED
AND SO NOW FIND THEMSELVES THOROUGHLY THRASHED

IF ONLY I KNEW
THAT ENBLOC WOULD FIZZLE OUT
AND SUPPLY IN MARKET WOULD SPROUT
I WISH I HAD SOLD IN OCTOBER
RATHER THAN NOW GO IN DEEP SLUMBER
WAKE ME UP FRIENDS WHEN BULLS KILL THE PROWLING BEAR
MAY BE 5 YEARS OR 6....BUT NOW THAT I HAVE LOST I REALLY DONT CARE.

Unregistered
04-04-08, 20:50
Old Wife> ' Oh Gawd, I'm convince my mind is almost gone'

Old Husband> ' I'm not surprised. You've been giving me a piece of it every day for 20 years.'

Unregistered
04-04-08, 20:56
IF ONLY I KNEW
WHAT AWAITED MAKEWAY AND TULIP
AND THE MANY WHO THOUGHT THEY COULD FLIP
BRAVO BRAVO EVERYONE SCREAMED
WHEN THE DEAL WAS SIGNED THEY BEAMED
ALAS SOME COUNTED CHICKS BEFORE THEY WERE HATCHED
AND SO NOW FIND THEMSELVES THOROUGHLY THRASHED

IF ONLY I KNEW
THAT ENBLOC WOULD FIZZLE OUT
AND SUPPLY IN MARKET WOULD SPROUT
I WISH I HAD SOLD IN OCTOBER
RATHER THAN NOW GO IN DEEP SLUMBER
WAKE ME UP FRIENDS WHEN BULLS KILL THE PROWLING BEAR
MAY BE 5 YEARS OR 6....BUT NOW THAT I HAVE LOST I REALLY DONT CARE.

IF ONLY I KNEW
HALF OS SINGAPORE IS MINE
I WOULD BAN U FROM COMING TO THIS FORUM
SO AS NOT TO HEAR UR NONSENSE

Unregistered
04-04-08, 21:05
IF ONLY I KNEW
HALF OS SINGAPORE IS MINE
I WOULD BAN U FROM COMING TO THIS FORUM
SO AS NOT TO HEAR UR NONSENSE

IF ONLY I KNEW
THAT FLIPPERS WOULD LOSE THEIR COOL
ON HEARING HOW THEY WERE MADE A FOOL
BRAVO BRAVO THEY HAD CLAPPED
WHEN MINORITIES WERE BEING RAPPED
FINALLY THEY LOST WHEN THE DEAL WAS SCRAPPED

Unregistered
05-04-08, 16:26
Onions for Enbloc- Peeled layer by layer for 2 horrible years, Would'nt it be nice if the goverment peeled them too?

Unregistered
05-04-08, 17:15
Do you mean you want more transparency?

Unregistered
06-04-08, 12:20
When will the next "enbloc movie of the month" be?

kkbkkb
26-07-09, 14:34
Any developers eager to embark on this project in the near future?:)

kkbkkb
08-05-10, 19:44
Any En-bloc movement for this project?