PDA

View Full Version : Borders Moving Out Of Westgate After 5 Months In Operation

eng81157
21-05-14, 09:23
Shortly just after 5 months into Borders revival, it seems like Popular Holdings the company who purchased the brand 2 years ago has decided to call it quits at Westgate. According to Straits Times, the Borders brand has not been dropped and Popular Holdings is trying to find a better location for Borders.

http://www.greatdeals.com.sg/2014/05/14/borders-moving-out-westgate/

leesg123
21-05-14, 09:36
Shortly just after 5 months into Borders revival, it seems like Popular Holdings the company who purchased the brand 2 years ago has decided to call it quits at Westgate. According to Straits Times, the Borders brand has not been dropped and Popular Holdings is trying to find a better location for Borders.

neighbourhood place, only food biz can do well.

xebay11
21-05-14, 09:58
neighbourhood place, only food biz can do well.

Yes, expecially more so with West side neighbourhoods, lorry drivers and worker types, no spending power or sophistication at all, JEM and Westgate are basically white elephants, even Westgate's food court is very empty on weekdays, remember Ringo's charts on income levels in Jurong East area? and see what is happening now.

teddybear
21-05-14, 10:11
We will see more of such opened with much fan-fare and closed with a whimper case in Jurong for next 2-3 years, This is expected........................ :beats-me-man:

ethan80
21-05-14, 10:56
LOL I don't know why some Singaporeans have this "East is better than West" side mentality. Seriously it's already such a small place, you can get from one end to another in less than an hour, and there is still room for this kind of "elitism".

The island is one AREA. Sorry but you are part of this AREA, and Westgate is probably less than an hour away from you.

Borders didn't do well because the "sophisticated" you doesn't buy books/CDs from them. When was the last time you bought a book or CD? Don't blame the foreign workers who are here to do your dirty jobs.

Yes, expecially more so with West side neighbourhoods, lorry drivers and worker types, no spending power or sophistication at all, JEM and Westgate are basically white elephants, even Westgate's food court is very empty on weekdays, remember Ringo's charts on income levels in Jurong East area? and see what is happening now.

hyenergix
21-05-14, 11:01
LOL I don't know why some Singaporeans have this "East is better than West" side mentality. Seriously it's already such a small place, you can get from one end to another in less than an hour, and there is still room for this kind of "elitism".

The island is one AREA. Sorry but you are part of this AREA, and Westgate is probably less than an hour away from you.

Borders didn't do well because the "sophisticated" you doesn't buy books/CDs from them. When was the last time you bought a book or CD? Don't blame the foreign workers who are here to do your dirty jobs.

A lot of free news and analysis, and music, are now online. There are also more good books in the library. It is hard for bookshops selling mostly books for adult readers to survive.

ethan80
21-05-14, 11:08
A lot of free news and analysis, and music, are now online. There are also more good books in the library. It is hard for bookshops selling mostly books for adult readers to survive.

Precisely, books/CD stores business suffering mainly due those reasons. Not because foreign workers not supporting them, or because it is located at Jurong East.

Look, Borders used to be at Wheelock Place. But it closed down.

Wheelock place is in Orchard Road area (FYI the sophisticated ones).

teddybear
21-05-14, 11:16
Other branded shops in Jurong will close as well in next 2-3 years. We will see...
Jurong residents mostly just won't support branded products, simple as that.

xebay11
21-05-14, 11:17

Hey I did buy many books from the original US borders in Wheelock Place, did many special orders there too and definitely the East, especially East Coast / Katong is a different kettle of fish, don't argue for the sake of arguing, it is precisely because Singapore is small any walk more than 500m and drive more than 10 minutes is considered far, none of my East friends want to drive up to Westgate / Jem to meetup with me.

I am vested in both West in HDB and the East in Private Landed and can see the huge difference in profile...nothing elitist, just fact.

Kelonguni
21-05-14, 11:40
Other branded shops in Jurong will close as well in next 2-3 years. We will see...
Jurong residents mostly just won't support branded products, simple as that.

H&M thrives leh.

Anyway I don't think East-West dichotomy is elitist. The profiles of the people are just different in different regions. Clearly observed. I have no idea why too. Fengshui? Work / industry / scenery locations?

xebay11
21-05-14, 11:51
H&M thrives leh.

Anyway I don't think East-West dichotomy is elitist. The profiles of the people are just different in different regions. Clearly observed. I have no idea why too. Fengshui? Work / industry / scenery locations?

1. It is the desirability of locations hence affecting prices of property, East is definitely more desirable, hence higher property prices, this would affect the wealth of people in that region.

2. Types of jobs in the region, Take blue collar jobs for eg, West more tipper truck type lorry drivers, whereas East has more Air Logistics type drivers, the mentality and behaviors are quite different even though they are basically blue collar jobs.

Also East attracts more finance industry PMETs and executives, West are more construction or engineering based PMETs and executives, again different income levels and lifestyles.

Marketing people who do market segmentation must be totally aware of these factors.

sunboy77
21-05-14, 15:13

Very well-said.

clemdale24
21-05-14, 16:30
some ppl refuse to accept the fact that east is better than west. its common knowledge to property investors in sg.

Simi
21-05-14, 17:03
some ppl refuse to accept the fact that east is better than west. its common knowledge to property investors in sg.

Its a matter of individual preference

As a Investor you may prioritize in term of location

eg CCR then RRC and then OCR (east and west)

But for own stay the priorities will be different ( there is nothing to refuse to accept or not accept)

JAFCO
21-05-14, 22:02

thought a friend living in east condo say its pool like ganges river....on weekend too...

eng81157
22-05-14, 08:47
thought a friend living in east condo say its pool like ganges river....on weekend too...

holy and sacred like the ganges river?

hopeful
22-05-14, 11:54
holy and sacred like the ganges river?

as crowded and dirty

Simi
22-05-14, 12:12
as crowded and dirty

Every evening the air will be filled with sweet aroma from the cooking