View Full Version : which area will u buy

bacteria
17-05-14, 20:37
Hi all senior, which area will you buy if you have
- 500k (cash)
- First time buyer
- buying for own stay
- 2 bedded

Thanks for all your kind input and advice .

Allthepies
17-05-14, 21:06
Not a senior but for buying for own stay, it really depends on yourself....

For investment, I would recommend resale MM in CBD area....

rontan_83
17-05-14, 21:14
Not a senior but for buying for own stay, it really depends on yourself....

For investment, I would recommend resale MM in CBD area....

i would recommend Geylang.....it would only take 10 mins to reach CBD by taking MRT....

august
17-05-14, 21:46
CCR or RCR.

fiat500
17-05-14, 22:18
Buy redhill area...

leesg123
17-05-14, 22:43
Since is for own stay, 500k wont get you anything decent for pte properties. better stick with hdb.

xebay11
17-05-14, 22:57
Since is for own stay, 500k wont get you anything decent for pte properties. better stick with hdb.

Even then $500 k can barely even get a decent HDB.

august
17-05-14, 23:04

He said 500k cash, take 60 to 70% loan becomes 1.2 to 1.6m budget. :)

irisng
17-05-14, 23:14
Even then $500 k can barely even get a decent HDB.

Can still get a 3 room resale HDB flat. First time buyer, buy direct from HDB is cheaper. I think still can get a 4 or 5 rooms HDB flat depending on the locations.

Do you have CPF? If you have, no problem, can use part of your $500k as down payment and the rest from bank loan, then use your CPF to pay your monthly instalments but if you only have $500k, then it might be a bit tough to get a decent pte ppty especially in CCR. Maybe still can get a mm unit in RCR or OCR.

bacteria
17-05-14, 23:21
Can still get a 3 room resale HDB flat. First time buyer, buy direct from HDB is cheaper. I think still can get a 4 or 5 rooms HDB flat depending on the locations.

Do you have CPF? If you have, no problem, can use part of your $500k as down payment and the rest from bank loan, then use your CPF to pay your monthly instalments but if you only have $500k, then it might be a bit tough to get a decent pte ppty especially in CCR. Maybe still can get a mm unit in RCR or OCR.

Im not qualify to buy hdb as I'm currently single. Hopefully i can get a gd city fringe condo, but im unsure which area will be gd? Toa payoh, bishan, redhill, tiong bahru, habour front? And should i go for 99 lease hold or free hold.

Thanks for all the input. It really help me, keep it coming :)

wt_know
17-05-14, 23:24
$500k probably can only get 1bedder (< 500sqft) private condo (2bedder, impossible) and forget about city fringe.

unless you are talking about $500k cash + $500k loan, then probably can get a private condo 2bedder that is slightly below $1M. and again, forget city fringe.

irisng
17-05-14, 23:27
Im not qualify to buy hdb as I'm currently single. Hopefully i can get a gd city fringe condo, but im unsure which area will be gd? Toa payoh, bishan, redhill, tiong bahru, habour front? And should i go for 99 lease hold or free hold.

Those areas that you mentioned are good locations but it is very unlikely that you can get a unit there with just $500k cash unless you have CPF and a decent salary to back you up. You need to calculate your budget before you commit.

wt_know
17-05-14, 23:30
yalor ... the hdb at those areas already selling above $500k ... :scared-4:

Those areas that you mentioned are good locations but it is very unlikely that you can get a unit there with just $500k cash unless you have CPF and a decent salary to back you up. You need to calculate your budget before you commit.

bacteria
17-05-14, 23:54
I think my budget is around 1.3mil (inclusive of bank loan + cash). I do not have CPF to further back me up.

seem like its a bit hard to purchase city fring ppty with what i have.

appreciate everyone for the advice, am i over stretching myself?

august
18-05-14, 00:17
I think my budget is around 1.3mil (inclusive of bank loan + cash). I do not have CPF to further back me up.

appreciate everyone for the advice, am i over stretching myself?

1.3mil budget means you are taking about 60% loan, right? After factoring stamp duty, i say your actual budget is probably around 1.25mil.
60% loan is quite safe, you are not over stretching.

Cyberknight
18-05-14, 00:36
Just saw Eight@ riversuits ura Aprils trxn. There is a $800k 936sqf 3 bedder super low floor unit transacted. if u dun mind blocked view, can check it out.

leesg123
18-05-14, 00:46

appreciate everyone for the advice, am i over stretching myself?Ok, with 1.2-1.3m budget, you can go for freehold CCR development at prime river valley area, compact 2 bedder such as RV Edge, Loft@Nathan, RV Residences.

bacteria
18-05-14, 00:49
Thanks august for assurance.

I did checkout eight riversuit before. I like its location and its really quite fair price, only concern is the number of unit to facilities and new condo do have limited parking lots.

I intend to stay with my parents we have two cars, so that maybe a problem.

august
18-05-14, 00:54
Alex residences, 2 bedder, think should be 1.2mil or less.

Personally i still prefer resale, new launches these days suffer from "shrinkage", and have lesser facilities and car lots.

If there is no rush, i will give it another 6 mths before buying.

bacteria
18-05-14, 00:59
Yup no rush. I Belong to the MTB grp :beats-me-man:, already waited for couple of yrs already, dun mind to wait for another 6- 12mths :)

Arcachon
18-05-14, 02:03
- 500k (cash)
- First time buyer
- buying for own stay
- 2 bedded

Got two car better to buy Malaysia FH landed.

Lovelle
18-05-14, 08:30
sky habitat la, got discount cum new layout

Allthepies
18-05-14, 09:37
Yup no rush. I Belong to the MTB grp :beats-me-man:, already waited for couple of yrs already, dun mind to wait for another 6- 12mths :)

U should start looking asap...it especially a good time for first timers to buy... most of the CMs r beneficial to first time buyers... there r sufficient fears in the market to ensure u r not buying at the peak... wait no longer...

Autonomy
18-05-14, 09:43
Just saw Eight@ riversuits ura Aprils trxn. There is a $800k 936sqf 3 bedder super low floor unit transacted. if u dun mind blocked view, can check it out.

The one transacted is for a 1 bedder, first floor loft unit with pes.

litechaser
18-05-14, 10:25
Can consider Commonwealth Towers. Superb location and sheltered link to MRT. It just like living in a section of the MRT sation but fully luxurious at the same time .

smellyfish
18-05-14, 11:41
if you are planning to stay with your parents, which is a very good thought, you need 900 sf and abv 2 bedder, hopefully w/o bomb shelter, bay window, big balcony.

RCR older condos should be able to find.

where to buy is very subjective when it comes to own stay, esp. for older folks. my folks come what may must stay east for eg.

but bro, assuming your parents still can sort of take care of themselves, and you are still young and eventually will be taking care of them, I strongly suggest you move out on your own, and enjoy a nice fark pad for a few years....:cheers1:

bacteria
18-05-14, 13:50
Thanks for the input seniors, seem like only new launch price is coming down, resales market still holding. Personally i prefer resale due to the bigger useable space :)

I hope to be able to move in within 12-16mths time so not looking at those very new projects which will not TOP so soon :(

I have screen down to the following few can give me some advice on the following.

Goldenhill park condo
Trellis tower
Luma
Rv residence
Zenith @zion
Harbourlight

Which one will be a better buy :cheers1:

babyt
18-05-14, 14:25
if freehold, city fringe and affordable than other freehold city fringe....try Geylang.

玉格格
18-05-14, 14:38

personally i feel which district isnt tat impt, but near mrt is perceived as far more impt in sg.
I hardly take mrt but i will nvr consider a project > 5 mins fm the mrt.

LH or FH de $ will differ around $150k hence it is really how much u hv.

i dun conclude if a particular area is gd or bad. it is the amt of $ u pay tat determines if the ppty is gd value onot.
say u paid a 30% premium (for no gd reason) for a prime district proj, no doubt the area is gd. but ppl will still find u stupid rite? :p

Amber Woods
18-05-14, 15:01
Your choices are FH in good locations.

Prices for resale should be coming down over the next 12 months with new launches price now at close to the asking prices of resale units. Give the resale market sometime to adjust because property price is inelastic.

Since you plan to move in 12 to 16 months later, next year maybe a better time to look at resales.

Thanks for the input seniors, seem like only new launch price is coming down, resales market still holding. Personally i prefer resale due to the bigger useable space :)

I hope to be able to move in within 12-16mths time so not looking at those very new projects which will not TOP so soon :(

I have screen down to the following few can give me some advice on the following.

Goldenhill park condo
Trellis tower
Luma
Rv residence
Zenith @zion
Harbourlight

Which one will be a better buy :cheers1:

bacteria
18-05-14, 15:11
Your choices are FH in good locations.

Prices for resale should be coming down over the next 12 months with new launches price now at close to the asking prices of resale units. Give the resale market sometime to adjust because property price is inelastic.

Since you plan to move in 12 to 16 months later, next year maybe a better time to look at resales.

Thanks amber for your advice, seem like i should start hunting and wait for the price to further soften.

my criteria are quite close to concubine Yu, and i feel that its quite important to have a mrt within walking distance (under 6mins walk)

bacteria
18-05-14, 15:12
base on past senior experience, will it be alright to buy old freehold like trellis or harbourlight?

their relative quite old but their asking price is really :banghead:

Arcachon
18-05-14, 15:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXsqFJniiic

bacteria
18-05-14, 15:42

Thanks Arcachon for the video, still watching now ;)
very gd info, and understand the government stand

sunboy77
18-05-14, 15:54
- 500k (cash)
- First time buyer
- buying for own stay
- 2 bedded

Please get a HDB flat first. I mean, seriously.

- Easy on the pocket
- Comfortable living space
- Can get something with good location
- Entitled to CPF grant

Vangaat
18-05-14, 15:54
Hello brother..

My advise to you is if you an wait, next year onwards will be better for resale. Now you see the prices of resale condos all still asking unrealistically and not in line with new launch promotions.

If you have to buy now, buy projects that is already building and will top in 1-2 years. At least there are safety buffer for new launch.

I personally do not have the patience to wait the full 3-5 years for a condo to TOP. So I do not think the recently launched condos should be your "consider" list.

Arcachon
18-05-14, 15:58
Hello brother..

My advise to you is if you an wait, next year onwards will be better for resale. Now you see the prices of resale condos all still asking unrealistically and not in line with new launch promotions.

If you have to buy now, buy projects that is already building and will top in 1-2 years. At least there are safety buffer for new launch.

I personally do not have the patience to wait the full 3-5 years for a condo to TOP. So I do not think the recently launched condos should be your "consider" list.

It depend on which part of the property cycle you are in and what is your investment horizon.

Waited 4 years for Southbank and now waiting for Terrasse since 2011 TOP end 2014.

Vangaat
18-05-14, 15:58
Thanks amber for your advice, seem like i should start hunting and wait for the price to further soften.

my criteria are quite close to concubine Yu, and i feel that its quite important to have a mrt within walking distance (under 6mins walk)

Nothing beats the mrt + bus stop at the door step. Leasehold or freehold matters to some but I will go for one that is nearest to mrt since my family will benefit from it although I drive. Unless there is one FH next to mrt of course! :D

bacteria
18-05-14, 15:59
Hello brother..

Thats my idea too, thanks for reassuring me =)

sunboy i can't buy hdb yet, i need to wait for 4 m ore yrs before i can get a reslae hdb. Actually i will prefer a hdb as my first roof too.

Arcachon
18-05-14, 16:01

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/indepth/2014-04/24/c_133286816.htm

He also said that the total capitalization of the entire Philippines banking system is only about the size of one Singaporean bank.

Winners and losers in ASEAN 2015

http://www.rappler.com/thought-leaders/54766-winners-losers-asean-2015

A number of ASEAN firms are taking steps towards grabbing opportunities that ASEAN 2015 could bring but some sectors also stand to lose out

Vangaat
18-05-14, 16:02
It depend on which part of the property cycle you are in and what is your investment horizon.

Waited 4 years for Southbank and now waiting for Terrasse since 2011 TOP end 2014.

You are one patient dude bro! I am sure you are sitting on handsome profits now.

Like you say, it depends on the situation and investment horizon. Some people prefer resale so can get FH and get rental immediately.

No one can predict the market but long term horizon is the way to go either way. :rolleyes:

bacteria
18-05-14, 16:05
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/indepth/2014-04/24/c_133286816.htm

He also said that the total capitalization of the entire Philippines banking system is only about the size of one Singaporean bank.

Seniors over here are really knowledgeable and u guys support it will facts as well. two thumbs up =D

I personally feel that FH are for own stay and long term investment,
leasehold more for investment as rental yield is high and quantum is slightly lower.

i'm looking for a shelter for long term stay so should i look at FH only, or actually i should open myself up for LH as well?

Vangaat
18-05-14, 16:16
Seniors over here are really knowledgeable and u guys support it will facts as well. two thumbs up =D

I personally feel that FH are for own stay and long term investment,
leasehold more for investment as rental yield is high and quantum is slightly lower.

i'm looking for a shelter for long term stay so should i look at FH only, or actually i should open myself up for LH as well?

Bro no one can predict for sure but we have seen LH breaching record highs too. Look at 8 @ Woodleigh for eg.

Most FH are quite far away from MRT so it depends again on your lifestyle. Buy FH prices can hold but you also pay higher or you get a smaller quantum which from your post I don't think you enjoy that.

LH can breakthrough only if URA have your place in development list!

Eitherway, if market heads up, both will benefit:cheers1:

minority
18-05-14, 16:19
investment is always location location location. for stay many personal factors comes to play.

bacteria
18-05-14, 16:25
Bro no one can predict for sure but we have seen LH breaching record highs too. Look at 8 @ Woodleigh for eg.

Most FH are quite far away from MRT so it depends again on your lifestyle. Buy FH prices can hold but you also pay higher or you get a smaller quantum which from your post I don't think you enjoy that.

LH can breakthrough only if URA have your place in development list!

Eitherway, if market heads up, both will benefit:cheers1:

For condo sector it seem like LH price actually rise more as a whole compare to FH from 09-14

bacteria
18-05-14, 16:27
For condo sector it seem like LH price actually rise more as a whole compare to FH from 09-14

Im just greedy, hope my only home can market out at a gd price in 7-8 yrs time if i decide to move out, or if possible hopefully can add another ppty into my portfolio.

So to me my first ppty will hopefully fit in the criteria of location, location, location :ashamed1:

Arcachon
18-05-14, 17:55
Im just greedy, hope my only home can market out at a gd price in 7-8 yrs time if i decide to move out, or if possible hopefully can add another ppty into my portfolio.

So to me my first ppty will hopefully fit in the criteria of location, location, location :ashamed1:

You only home is your liability, it is your assets only when it generate positive return, that is you sell your only home. Never set your up in this situation.

My father brought a 3 room HDB in 1969, this was his liability seen then.

Every year he pay property tax, HDB charges, maintenance,etc..... it was never his asset since the day he brought it.

bacteria
18-05-14, 18:06
You only home is your liability, it is your assets only when it generate positive return, that is you sell your only home. Never set your up in this situation.

My father brought a 3 room HDB in 1969, this was his liability seen then.

Every year he pay property tax, HDB charges, maintenance,etc..... it was never his asset since the day he brought it.

Thanks for the reminder its definitely a liability, really envy seniors here which can have multiples ppty under their portfolio. hopefully with the help i gather here, with some bold and luck i can make it too :p

chestnut
18-05-14, 18:09

1. Which LH project vs FH project you comparing from 09-14???

2. Which new project similar price to resale project????

bacteria
18-05-14, 18:19
1. Which LH project vs FH project you comparing from 09-14???

2. Which new project similar price to resale project????

Bro chestnut, I did not exactly compare just a gut feel. It seem to me ocr LH price run faster (percentage gain not in absolute gain) then FH project elsewhere like city fringe.

The only similar price for new project and resale will be quantum but the new project psf will be way higher.

Being reading the forum for a while, and u have being giving hint but i too noob to decipher :banghead:

chan600
18-05-14, 18:41

$500k cash leh! Can buy $2M property liao.

bacteria
18-05-14, 18:43
$500k cash leh! Can buy $2M property liao.

wont be able to pass the tdsr, even bank let me pass i will also die slowly due to the hefty installment.

chestnut
18-05-14, 18:53
Bro chestnut, I did not exactly compare just a gut feel. It seem to me ocr LH price run faster (percentage gain not in absolute gain) then FH project elsewhere like city fringe.

The only similar price for new project and resale will be quantum but the new project psf will be way higher.

Being reading the forum for a while, and u have being giving hint but i too noob to decipher :banghead:

Lets look at hdb resale first....

Why has hdb resale prices dropped??? Because there were transactions sold below ave past transacted prices... The question is who are those who sold???

1. Those who only have 1 hdb and are not buying another property, will they sell???
2. Those who have 1 hdb and bought a private for investment... Will they sell???
3. Those who have 1 hdb and bought a private to upgrade and need the monies from the sale of hdb, do they need to sell and urgently to claim back absd as well... Will they sell ??? And would they be held at ransom???

So there will be desperate sellers during this situation... And the people who buy will have an advantage... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So about private condo, is it a good time or bad??? All I can say is, the days of the great capital gains over a short duration is over... Many cannot accept and live in the past....:D:D

bacteria
18-05-14, 19:01
Lets look at hdb resale first....

Why has hdb resale prices dropped??? Because there were transactions sold below ave past transacted prices... The question is who are those who sold???

1. Those who only have 1 hdb and are not buying another property, will they sell???
2. Those who have 1 hdb and bought a private for investment... Will they sell???
3. Those who have 1 hdb and bought a private to upgrade and need the monies from the sale of hdb, do they need to sell and urgently to claim back absd as well... Will they sell ??? And would they be held at ransom???

So there will be desperate sellers during this situation... And the people who buy will have an advantage... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So about private condo, is it a good time or bad??? All I can say is, the days of the great capital gains over a short duration is over... Many cannot accept and live in the past....:D:D

just need t search hard for bargain buy. The days to flip ppty like roti prata its over :scared-4:

chestnut
18-05-14, 19:05
just need t search hard for bargain buy. The days to flip ppty like roti prata its over :scared-4:

When buying for stay, it is not about bargain buys... It will be

1. Are their facilities for parents???
2. Do they like the facing????
3. If they don't drive, is it near amenities???
4. Limited choices as in a resale condo, only a few unit available.

Good luck in your search ;)

bacteria
18-05-14, 19:14

Thanks Bro

Reisor
18-05-14, 21:10
Nothing beats the mrt + bus stop at the door step. Leasehold or freehold matters to some but I will go for one that is nearest to mrt since my family will benefit from it although I drive. Unless there is one FH next to mrt of course! :D

There are still FH close but not next to MRT with more new stations completing.
Pasir panjang & D19 around CCL, DTL should have some.

Simi
18-05-14, 21:57

Very good advise from Bro Chestnut

First property is your foundation
Stretch loan to maximum but par down as and when you are comfortable.
When doing so monthly instalment stays (do not reduce)
If you have CPF never utilise all as this monies can be your backup in time of emergency

By so doing
When opportunity arises and if your timing is right and when it happen to be in bear property market

Your 1st property can be sold to multiply it to 2 or even 3 (if it has already been fully paid up)

Happy hunting for your 1st property and investing in the future

bacteria
18-05-14, 22:27
There are still FH close but not next to MRT with more new stations completing.
Pasir panjang & D19 around CCL, DTL should have some.

Gd advice bro, im looking at the future ns highway too. thanks for the highlight

bacteria
18-05-14, 22:29
Very good advise from Bro Chestnut

First property is your foundation
Stretch loan to maximum but par down as and when you are comfortable.
When doing so monthly instalment stays (do not reduce)
If you have CPF never utilise all as this monies can be your backup in time of emergency

By so doing
When opportunity arises and if your timing is right and when it happen to be in bear property market

Your 1st property can be sold to multiply it to 2 or even 3 (if it has already been fully paid up)

Happy hunting for your 1st property and investing in the future

Thanks for further elaborating, will keep note of the following points when im buying and thanks for the future buying strategy :cheers4:

johnlee
24-05-14, 11:12
500k downpayment means you can take on a 2-2.5mm home assuming the bank approves your TDSR of course.

10 years ago you could have bought a 3000 sq ft apartment in a pretty decent area. Unfortunately its a lot harder these days.

For pure investing, vs owner occupying, the most important thing in property investing in my view is timing. You can buy anything at the bottom of the cycle, it will go up eventually. So if you are buying to invest, you have to ask yourself where are you in the cycle and what else can i do with the same amount of cash

If you need it for own stay, then thats a separate question. This low rate environment will persist for a bit but will eventually go up. You can buy now as Singapore is unlikely to have a hard landing, even though prices may drop further (in which case you may want to rent). But some people i know who have employed the rent option waiting for a big drop are of course, still waiting.

But at a monthly mortgage payment that is very comfortable and doesn't create stress. Even though you can put a 500k down payment doesn't mean you want a 7-10k a month mortgage which is probably what a 2mm loan will come out to depending on rate and tenure ...

On location, etc, thats personal and only you can decide that.

Werther
24-05-14, 11:57
500k downpayment means you can take on a 2-2.5mm home assuming the bank approves your TDSR of course.

10 years ago you could have bought a 3000 sq ft apartment in a pretty decent area. Unfortunately its a lot harder these days.

For pure investing, vs owner occupying, the most important thing in property investing in my view is timing. You can buy anything at the bottom of the cycle, it will go up eventually. So if you are buying to invest, you have to ask yourself where are you in the cycle and what else can i do with the same amount of cash

If you need it for own stay, then thats a separate question. This low rate environment will persist for a bit but will eventually go up. You can buy now as Singapore is unlikely to have a hard landing, even though prices may drop further (in which case you may want to rent). But some people i know who have employed the rent option waiting for a big drop are of course, still waiting.

But at a monthly mortgage payment that is very comfortable and doesn't create stress. Even though you can put a 500k down payment doesn't mean you want a 7-10k a month mortgage which is probably what a 2mm loan will come out to depending on rate and tenure ...

On location, etc, thats personal and only you can decide that.

Hi John

In your opinion, which part of the property cycle are we at now? I feel market may be trending up in the next few months instead of down.

All bros, please discuss here and see if we are right...:D

litechaser
24-05-14, 13:57
Hi John

In your opinion, which part of the property cycle are we at now? I feel market may be trending up in the next few months instead of down.

All bros, please discuss here and see if we are right...:D

perhaps u would like to elaborate why u think prices will trend upwards ? I feel that there is more downside since supply clearly exceed demand over the next 2 years..

minority
24-05-14, 14:25
500K put in US Equity will be more lively than in the current Singapore property market.

bacteria
24-05-14, 14:41
500K put in US Equity will be more lively than in the current Singapore property market.

I need a shelter of my own, so intend to buy this 6-18 mths time.

bacteria
24-05-14, 14:47
i'm tempted to buy a 1bd + study in ccr, but it dun suit my planning of inviting my parent to stay with me :doh:

I'm think majority of buyer feel that the price will soften, so are we expecting a V shape recovery or a longer stable growth? (if cm was removed)

any Bros care to enlighten thanks thanks :)

Werther
24-05-14, 14:57
perhaps u would like to elaborate why u think prices will trend upwards ? I feel that there is more downside since supply clearly exceed demand over the next 2 years..

Hi lite chaser

Just my gut feel... Rental is slow but still rentable... If you look at the rental transaction on straits times yesterday, rentals are still ok, not crashing. Most of the units still achieved reasonable rentals, maybe slight off from last year.

I think many people are on the side waiting... It's just the ABSD that prevents buying. I am also waiting.

I am only looking at CCR...

litechaser
24-05-14, 15:06
Hi lite chaser

Just my gut feel... Rental is slow but still rentable... If you look at the rental transaction on straits times yesterday, rentals are still ok, not crashing. Most of the units still achieved reasonable rentals, maybe slight off from last year.

I think many people are on the side waiting... It's just the ABSD that prevents buying. I am also waiting.

I am only looking at CCR...

Do u mean u are talking abt CCR rental being OK or looking to buy at CCR ?

Werther
24-05-14, 16:03
Looking to buy CCR.

However, those $1.5 to 2m probably easier to move but Again i saw adv for st Thomas suite, the unit still looking to sell at $3.8m...it shd be a star buy 2 years ago. My friend bot at $4.4m.

I m also not sure how the market will move, but many of my friends like all looking to buy also if price drop, then how to drop much? Maybe wld stabilize for now?

DC33_2008
24-05-14, 16:09
Lots of people with cash still waiting on the sideline just look at the recent relaunch projects. :D

Werther
24-05-14, 16:14
Lots of people with cash still waiting on the sideline just look at the recent relaunch projects. :D

True, but supposed all those units sold are 1 or 2 bedded? Cos even if they pay ABSD, not so siong...

DC33_2008
24-05-14, 16:18
Question is how long will they exhaust this group of buyers or will it ever happen? That will be the start of real correction. :D
True, but supposed all those units sold are 1 or 2 bedded? Cos even if they pay ABSD, not so siong...

walkthetiger
24-05-14, 17:17
Question is how long will they exhaust this group of buyers or will it ever happen? That will be the start of real correction. :D

.....30000 units unsold....need to fill.... 30000x$1m(let say all MMs)...that is how much money needed...Haha...... supply vs demand

eng81157
26-05-14, 09:40
.....30000 units unsold....need to fill.... 30000x$1m(let say all MMs)...that is how much money needed...Haha...... supply vs demand

why would you buy a bottle of lafitte for your kopitiam friends??!?!?! you super rich ah.........just give me a tiger

Nas
26-05-14, 09:53
i'm tempted to buy a 1bd + study in ccr, but it dun suit my planning of inviting my parent to stay with me :doh:

I'm think majority of buyer feel that the price will soften, so are we expecting a V shape recovery or a longer stable growth? (if cm was removed)

any Bros care to enlighten thanks thanks :)

Price has already soften. Sellers willing to nego, developers willing to listen to offers. I think its very interesting now. On one hand, many fence sitters, on the other hand, many starting to feel the mortgage (without rental) pinch. Unpredictable because govt intervention very short, sharp, sweet.

economist
26-05-14, 11:11

Total number of unsold was 43K at end of 2008, and 34K at end of 2009, actually much higher than today. The number of launched but unsold has risen, while the number of not-launched or with no sale prerequisite has dropped.

walkthetiger
26-05-14, 11:48
Total number of unsold was 43K at end of 2008, and 34K at end of 2009, actually much higher than today. The number of launched but unsold has risen, while the number of not-launched or with no sale prerequisite has dropped.

..You knew figures...unheathly signs were there all along....since 08 many were "投井", they have it filled up...now you can walk on it safely.....haha.

walkthetiger
26-05-14, 11:59
why would you buy a bottle of lafitte for your kopitiam friends??!?!?! you super rich ah.........just give me a tiger

....my coffeeshop folks can't appreciate Lafite, I bought them Tiger Beer after 2012, now they seem happier...

walkthetiger
26-05-14, 12:49
Price has already soften. Sellers willing to nego, developers willing to listen to offers. I think its very interesting now. On one hand, many fence sitters, on the other hand, many starting to feel the mortgage (without rental) pinch. Unpredictable because govt intervention very short, sharp, sweet.

.....Human mind is just amazing; always choose to believe, hence leaving reality aside... When they believe price will never come down, all rush to buy like no tomorrow... when they believe it will come down, they will wait till their first shelter comes FOC.....

Property cycle is long. Gov interventions have been long (CM after CM for a few years), but gentle and kind to all trades, just like what Mr. Shanmugam had spoken to all the agents recently.

CCR
26-05-14, 13:36
Correction cycle usually 2 years unless major crisis after crisis, one after another.... one crisis is 2 years correction, cooling measures is also 2 years correction, so if no crisis, middle next year prices will start to gradually recofer

johnlee
26-05-14, 21:20
Very hard to say which part of the cycle we are in now, as the Fed's accommodation policy is unprecedented. So we live in a very screwed up time when the regular flows of the cycle are not predictable in my view.

So comes down to this - if you need a home, and can manage the mortgage (especially if rates rise to 3.5%), it is still ok to buy. For apartments in the CCR which is where you seem to be looking, prices have come off and you can make a few low ball bids and see what happens, you never know. As others have pointed out in this thread, many people seem to have cash and are waiting for a drop - this means that at some point it can't drop anymore as a flood of people will come in to buy. IE there is a floor to prices.

The key shocks to the Singapore property market will be driven by external factors. Unlikely to be due to local factors. So things like: 1) A huge slowdown in China; 2) A war; 3) A virus (like Sars) coming back. These are the things that will tank the property market. But absent of this, market may slow down and cool a bit more, but unlikely to drop. So if you need a home, its not a bad time to buy especially if you get it on a low ball bid

propertyguru
27-05-14, 10:18
Very hard to say which part of the cycle we are in now, as the Fed's accommodation policy is unprecedented. So we live in a very screwed up time when the regular flows of the cycle are not predictable in my view.

So comes down to this - if you need a home, and can manage the mortgage (especially if rates rise to 3.5%), it is still ok to buy. For apartments in the CCR which is where you seem to be looking, prices have come off and you can make a few low ball bids and see what happens, you never know. As others have pointed out in this thread, many people seem to have cash and are waiting for a drop - this means that at some point it can't drop anymore as a flood of people will come in to buy. IE there is a floor to prices.

The key shocks to the Singapore property market will be driven by external factors. Unlikely to be due to local factors. So things like: 1) A huge slowdown in China; 2) A war; 3) A virus (like Sars) coming back. These are the things that will tank the property market. But absent of this, market may slow down and cool a bit more, but unlikely to drop. So if you need a home, its not a bad time to buy especially if you get it on a low ball bid

Agreed. The people predicting a crash (sans a major crisis like war or an epidemic) appear to base their forecast on past cycles, but like you said, the FED's recent monetary policy is unprecedented, so it's silly to rely on historical developments in this regard. Given how much the market has softened, I agree that those buying for their own stay can consider moving in; there's very little downside all things considered.

metta
27-05-14, 11:08
It is weird ppl keep saying that it is a good time to buy for first timer because the price has softened. If you look at resale, the current sellers are all pricing their units at at least 10% above the last transacted price! Where is the so called softening??

cnud
27-05-14, 12:52
Sellers sell for what? Replacement cost so high.

propertyguru
27-05-14, 14:20
It is weird ppl keep saying that it is a good time to buy for first timer because the price has softened. If you look at resale, the current sellers are all pricing their units at at least 10% above the last transacted price! Where is the so called softening??

I have been keeping track of a few properties I am interested in and both asking and transacted prices have softened about 5-10% for sure. Maybe there are some properties which are holding their prices, but I think it's not true to suggest that none have softened. Obviously if you are interested in only one property which hasn't dropped its asking price then you will have an issue, but there are plenty of other properties in the market. And like someone else said, there's a floor to how much the prices will fall (barring a global catastrophe), since many sellers picked up their properties at much lower prices and can afford to hold (especially if the place is tenanted). Which also means that now is as good a time to buy as any, since it's unlikely prices will crash as some people hope (assuming again, the absence of any black swans).