PDA

View Full Version : Penthouses or Landed Houses?

acosean
12-05-14, 08:44
We know for certain that in terms of prestige and luxury, private condomimiums are better than HDB flats.

But between penthouses and landed houses (other things being equal in terms of floor area, location, locality, etc.), which is generally deemed to be more prestigous and luxurious as deemed by the public? I don't seem to have a ready answer for this.

Penthouses - height + breathtaking view + assortment of full condo facilities?
Landed house - owns land, a house on your own, with garden, etc.?

leesg123
12-05-14, 08:51
We know for certain that in terms of prestige and luxury, private condomimiums are better than HDB flats.

But between penthouses and landed houses (other things being equal in terms of floor area, location, locality, etc.), which is generally deemed to be more prestigous and luxurious as deemed by the public? I don't seem to have a ready answer for this.

landed you got to deal with lots of pests. snakes etc.

DC33_2008
12-05-14, 08:56
You cannot rebuild your PH but you have the option with Landed. :p

mummy
12-05-14, 09:09
landed you got to deal with lots of pests. snakes etc.

Thought the recent news about woman got bitten by snake in toilet was living in a flat albeit low floor.

Kelonguni
12-05-14, 09:23

It depends on your outlook in life. Each has pros and cons.

Have you just struck Toto?

DC33_2008
12-05-14, 09:29
It also depends where is your penthouses (PH) and height of your penthouse with respect to your neighbouring developments. PH is only good if it is at least 40 storeys in the local context.

mummy
12-05-14, 09:36
For me, I feel landed is more prestigious and more importantly safer in case of fires, collapse, easier to evacuate from a landed than a penthouse...that is why I buy my landed. And also land is scarce so it should hold its value better.

mummy
12-05-14, 09:37
For me, I feel landed is more prestigious and more importantly safer in case of fires, collapse, easier to evacuate from a landed than a penthouse...that is why I buy my landed. And also land is scarce so it should hold its value better.

What is so nice about our views from high floors anyway? Not like we have beautiful blue waters or natural scenery...

august
12-05-14, 09:45
What is so nice about our views from high floors anyway? Not like we have beautiful blue waters or natural scenery...

it is a good feeling to tower above the rest. Plus the far reaching unblocked view.

thomastansb
12-05-14, 09:53
PH anytime. If we are talking about comparable size. There are some 600 sq ft PH.

Jaykj
12-05-14, 11:07
I'm struggling with similar questions as well. I have 2 more options thrown in:-

1) Landed in RCR/ near RCR OCR
2) Cluster Landed
3) PH
4) 3/4 Bedders (at least 1,600 sqf live-in area) in CCR

All similar in quantum, only difference I guess is whether 1 view space, proximity to town (important for me due to my office and children's school) or facilities as priority.

Most would know the merits of each housing type, no right, no wrong but seriously it's really up to individual and family needs.

mummy
12-05-14, 11:37
PH anytime. If we are talking about comparable size. There are some 600 sq ft PH.

Huh? 600sqft how to qualify as penthouse? You mean as long as it is at the top, it is called a penthouse? Thought penthouses need to be quite big or 2 storey?

xebay11
12-05-14, 11:42
Landed to hold value, penthouse for living.

acosean
12-05-14, 11:44
Hi, this is the thread starter again. Thanks for all your varied perspectives. And no, I didn't strike lottery.

While I agree with all that there are pros and cons of each (PH or landed house) and one should choose the one that best suits his needs/lifestyle, etc., I still don't hear any consensus with regard to the prestige or luxury level of one over the other.

Perhaps it would be easier to narrow down some of the factors. Consider this - a single-level Penthouse with full unblocked paromamic sea view in most of its rooms (i.e. living, dining, study, master, master bath, junior master) with 2,000+ sq ft and with full condo facilities. And a landed terrace house with similar built-in area (excluding outdoor garden)(but no view because of blockage and close proximity to trees and neighbour houses). Which will generally be regarded as more prestigous and luxurious?

I've been hearing mixed responses from friends, relatives and colleagues. Just wondering if similar sentiments are felt here, thanks.

princess_morbucks
12-05-14, 11:45
I have mixed feelings.
I love both :D.
If you can experience both, means you have experienced the best of both worlds- Heaven and Earth!

acosean
12-05-14, 11:49
I have mixed feelings.
I love both :D.
If you can experience both, means you have experienced the best of both worlds- Heaven and Earth!

Agreed, I like this!

mummy
12-05-14, 12:24
Hi, this is the thread starter again. Thanks for all your varied perspectives. And no, I didn't strike lottery.

While I agree with all that there are pros and cons of each (PH or landed house) and one should choose the one that best suits his needs/lifestyle, etc., I still don't hear any consensus with regard to the prestige or luxury level of one over the other.

Perhaps it would be easier to narrow down some of the factors. Consider this - a single-level Penthouse with full unblocked paromamic sea view in most of its rooms (i.e. living, dining, study, master, master bath, junior master) with 2,000+ sq ft and with full condo facilities. And a landed terrace house with similar built-in area (excluding outdoor garden)(but no view because of blockage and close proximity to trees and neighbour houses). Which will generally be regarded as more prestigous and luxurious?

I've been hearing mixed responses from friends, relatives and colleagues. Just wondering if similar sentiments are felt here, thanks.

Then it really depends on your district or location then...some landed are more prestigious like Tai Keng Gardens or Sennett Estate or of course Sentosa Cove and some condos are more prestigious than others based on location..freehold or leasehold..

Kelonguni
12-05-14, 12:26
Agreed, I like this!

You ask one with a more modern outlook generally they should vote for penthouse.

You ask one with a more conservative and traditional outlook the landed.

No best answer, depends on who you are.

Kelonguni
12-05-14, 12:41

It's like asking whether it's more prestigious or luxurious to own a piece of the sky or a piece of the land...

onglai
12-05-14, 13:41
ultimately

landed >condo>hdb

hdb = public, condo = private, landed = more private then private

for ph - prestige come from being the highest floor best view. the facilities doesnt add on to the prestige because all sharing.

for landed the prestige come from being seclusive

hopeful
12-05-14, 13:46
Perhaps it would be easier to narrow down some of the factors. Consider this - a single-level Penthouse with full unblocked paromamic sea view in most of its rooms (i.e. living, dining, study, master, master bath, junior master) with 2,000+ sq ft and with full condo facilities. And a landed terrace house with similar built-in area (excluding outdoor garden)(but no view because of blockage and close proximity to trees and neighbour houses). Which will generally be regarded as more prestigous and luxurious?.....

the single-level PH is more prestige.
when u bring guests to that PH, you will elicit a lot of WAHHHHHHHHH.
when u bring guest to that terrace, you will only elicit WA.

the amount of WAHHHH determine how prestigious your residence is.

onglai
12-05-14, 13:52

...... imagine WAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so small ah... 600 sft ph...
:D

hopeful
12-05-14, 13:55
...... imagine WAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...so small ah... 600 sft ph...

but still elicit more HHHHHH than a landed 600sft.

amk
12-05-14, 15:05

what a disappointing answer from you. ;)

I would imagine an answer like "atas'ness starts with the address not the size ..."

acosean
12-05-14, 15:09
Wow, you guys are humorous, like comparing it with owning a piece of sky versus owning a piece of land, and the 600-sq-ft mickey house PH thingy! What a laugh!

Just now one mentioned that it is the location that determines more on the prestige of a property. I agree, but I also did mention in my opening post that we confine it to the same location for comparison purposes.

For example, in Pasir Ris, we have landed homes near the beach (but no view, blocked by trees and other structures) and PHs with full sea view there as well. So which is more prestigous? And what about in Marine Parade / Amber Road area with also landed houses and sea-view PHs? Which is generally considered to be more luxurious?

From what I gather here, there are no fixed answers. So it isn't so clear-cut.

DMCK
12-05-14, 16:11
i can have a big fish pond in my landed but not penthouse

hopeful
12-05-14, 16:19
what a disappointing answer from you. ;)

I would imagine an answer like "atas'ness starts with the address not the size ..."

that's teddy's answer - CCR all the way :)
i am more flexible.

the TS has already given the constraints and i imagined my own reaction on visiting such the PH and the landed as described by the TS.

actually when i visit houses, i look at door hinges and electrical outlets :ashamed1::ashamed1::ashamed1:
luxury plumbing, expensive granite, expensive white goods are so common now, most here are jaded already. so i am looking for that extra attention to detail.

eg of hinge that door hinges impress me.
www.tectushinges.com/
http://sugatsune.com/products/ProductDetails.cfm?CATID=4&SUBCATID=1&PRODUCTID=HES3D-190
economy version of concealed hinges
http://www.soss.com/

so when i see solid teak door and piano hinge, it is kinda of a letdown. :doh::doh:

having find the hinges that i want, now i am looking at electrical outlets. currently a ultra luxury condo has basically the same electrical outlets as the cheapest condos.:doh:
kinda of hard though as a 3-pin socket is a 3-pin socket. how much more different can it be.

anyway, for the most exclusive PH,
the most wow is the super-PH at clermont residence.
exclusive lift shaft for super-ph.WAAHHHH.
even other more expensive PH in orchard dont have this super-exclusive feature. what is private lift compared to private lift shaft. :jaw-dropping:
unfortunately the only thing that let it down, is no exclusive carpark lots for it (as i dont see it from the brochure floorplan)
details, details, looks like developer forgot to include this little detail in strata title.
i dont think the buyer would mind paying for 6 exclusive carpark lots next to the lift. hopefully there will be 1 hidden carpark lot where one can exit unseen by public. (from lift to car, nobody can see who is entering or exiting.)

one more thing, also have 2 entrances, 1 for discreet and 1 for public.
when the resident carrying ntuc plastic bags full of groceries, passed by the lobby, nobody give a second glance.
however, when the said resident press the lift to the super-PH, everybody will pause, double-take, and goes wahhhh
that is a satisfaction that only money can buy :D

discrete entrance is of course when bring a woman back.

onglai
12-05-14, 17:00
that's teddy's answer - CCR all the way :)
i am more flexible.

the TS has already given the constraints and i imagined my own reaction on visiting such the PH and the landed as described by the TS.

actually when i visit houses, i look at door hinges and electrical outlets :ashamed1::ashamed1::ashamed1:
luxury plumbing, expensive granite, expensive white goods are so common now, most here are jaded already. so i am looking for that extra attention to detail.

eg of hinge that door hinges impress me.
www.tectushinges.com/
http://sugatsune.com/products/ProductDetails.cfm?CATID=4&SUBCATID=1&PRODUCTID=HES3D-190
economy version of concealed hinges
http://www.soss.com/

so when i see solid teak door and piano hinge, it is kinda of a letdown. :doh::doh:

having find the hinges that i want, now i am looking at electrical outlets. currently a ultra luxury condo has basically the same electrical outlets as the cheapest condos.:doh:
kinda of hard though as a 3-pin socket is a 3-pin socket. how much more different can it be.

anyway, for the most exclusive PH,
the most wow is the super-PH at clermont residence.
exclusive lift shaft for super-ph.WAAHHHH.
even other more expensive PH in orchard dont have this super-exclusive feature. what is private lift compared to private lift shaft. :jaw-dropping:
unfortunately the only thing that let it down, is no exclusive carpark lots for it (as i dont see it from the brochure floorplan)
details, details, looks like developer forgot to include this little detail in strata title.
i dont think the buyer would mind paying for 6 exclusive carpark lots next to the lift. hopefully there will be 1 hidden carpark lot where one can exit unseen by public. (from lift to car, nobody can see who is entering or exiting.)

one more thing, also have 2 entrances, 1 for discreet and 1 for public.
when the resident carrying ntuc plastic bags full of groceries, passed by the lobby, nobody give a second glance.
however, when the said resident press the lift to the super-PH, everybody will pause, double-take, and goes wahhhh
that is a satisfaction that only money can buy :D

discrete entrance is of course when bring a woman back.

no need to buy clemont to get private lift shaft... a normal 3 storey house with lift - already got private lift shaft...summore come with exclusive carpark lots too...

:D:D:D

mummy
12-05-14, 17:15
Best thing is no need to pay maintenance cause find we seldom use the facilities when living in condo. At most 2 to 4 times a month or less after a while which does not justify the cost.

hopeful
12-05-14, 17:48
no need to buy clemont to get private lift shaft... a normal 3 storey house with lift - already got private lift shaft...summore come with exclusive carpark lots too...

:D:D:D

where got prestige if buy landed with private lift/shaft?
all your neighbours has it.
exclusive car park lots, your neighbours have it too.

landed with swimming pool, also not much prestige.
once your neighbour build swimming pool, no more bragging rights.

PH with private lift shaft is different.
old buildings cannot upgrade (i dont think other SPs want to built just for the atas PH owner)

unless other condos have similar height and private lift shaft, then Clermont super-ph will be the most prestigious PH in singapore, even more so than the more expensive PHs in orchard.

but the prestige of the super-ph drops a lot if owner have to fight with other residents for carpark lots :doh:

orange
12-05-14, 17:56
Then it really depends on your district or location then...some landed are more prestigious like Tai Keng Gardens or Sennett Estate or of course Sentosa Cove and some condos are more prestigious than others based on location..freehold or leasehold..

Huh???? Sure boh?????

Tai Keng Gardens???? Sennett Estate????? Prestigious????

Walaneh I am laughing until my backside very pain....

Arcachon
12-05-14, 17:56
i can have a big fish pond in my landed but not penthouse

Can your garden plant strawberry, tulip.

https://scontent-a-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/10272636_10202591009029356_294979962755009963_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31.0-8/10298045_10202645411789391_7265959288003029584_o.jpg

https://scontent-a-mad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/10273188_10202590991548919_6359497416916646057_o.jpg

orange
12-05-14, 17:58
ultimately

landed >condo>hdb

hdb = public, condo = private, landed = more private then private

for ph - prestige come from being the highest floor best view. the facilities doesnt add on to the prestige because all sharing.

for landed the prestige come from being seclusive

Assuming condo is more than 2,000 sq ft size and freehold prime districts 9/10/11.

And landed is freehold terrace or semi-D in RCR and OCR.

The condo is more prestigious than the landed.

Location conquers all.

Why?

What is prestige?

It is not just the distance to the city or to amenities.

It is the environment, the neighbourhood and your neighbours.

Landed property in RCR and OCR tends to have a lot of ugly blue-collar Singaporeans who struck it rich through business.

And if you have been to the landed estates in the East or North or West of Singapore, in the OCR, you will know what I mean. Gross doesn't even begin to describe it. Smelly new rich stench.

mummy
12-05-14, 18:15
Huh???? Sure boh?????

Tai Keng Gardens???? Sennett Estate????? Prestigious????

Walaneh I am laughing until my backside very pain....

Of course Bukit Timah, GCB areas and Sentosa Cove more prestigious but TS mentioned Pasir Ris so just saying some relatively popular ones...why do you stay in a landed yourself?

hopeful
12-05-14, 18:24
And if you have been to the landed estates in the East or North or West of Singapore, in the OCR, you will know what I mean. Gross doesn't even begin to describe it. Smelly new rich stench.

i sure hate to stay next to Jet Li in Binjai Rise.
The stench of his kungfu workouts permeates the area.

orange
12-05-14, 18:51
i sure hate to stay next to Jet Li in Binjai Rise.
The stench of his kungfu workouts permeates the area.

Binjai Rise is D21 lah... RCR...

I was referring to those suburban landed, right smack inside HDB estates and surrounded by funny people.

You know? Like the Sheng Siong boss'es house.... that kind of landed.... with all the cheena crap hanging from the ceilings.

Really hate these blue-collar richies!

If you want to buy landed, buy only D10/11 part of Bukit Timah, Holland and Meyer Rd and Mountbatten. Some parts of Siglap also can. Landed is all about prestige. Old money smell is most prestigious.

acosean
12-05-14, 19:41
Still no conclusion.....

mummy
12-05-14, 19:52
I think holding value and owning something tangible like land is more prestigious than owning a space in the sky and condos are more common than landed so being rarer, landed should be more prestigious.

Just look at all the ministers and rich tycoons...do most stay in landed or condos?

Arcachon
12-05-14, 19:57
I think holding value and owning something tangible like land is more prestigious than owning a space in the sky and condos are more common than landed so being rarer, landed should be more prestigious.

Just look at all the ministers and rich tycoons...do most stay in landed or condos?

Go a bit higher and you will see it differently.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2013/09/28/130-million-river-house-residence-is-now-nycs-most-expensive-home-for-sale/

mummy
12-05-14, 20:06
Go a bit higher and you will see it differently.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2013/09/28/130-million-river-house-residence-is-now-nycs-most-expensive-home-for-sale/

Why does Warren Buffett or Bill Gates live in a condo penthouse?

Arcachon
12-05-14, 20:18
Why does Warren Buffett or Bill Gates live in a condo penthouse?

Two different world.

mummy
12-05-14, 20:30
Two different world.

Does Li Ka Shing in land scarce HK live in landed or penthouse?

princess_morbucks
12-05-14, 20:32
Aiya who cares about prestige.
Something may be prestigious to one but not to another.

What matters most is that you feel happy and proud of your home.

So TS, I say you go where your heart is, as both landed and PH each has their own pros and cons, and both are equally nice to live in.

But remember to discuss with your family members esp if you are married. Your spouse's opinion is just as important as yours.

Arcachon
12-05-14, 20:32
A doctor really see thing differently.

I stay landed instead of apartment with swimming pool in France because Landed is cheaper psf in rent.

A bungalow is the cheapest here in France.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/659122789.htm?ca=2_s

http://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/524967914.htm?ca=2_s

mummy
12-05-14, 20:41
Good for u. Enjoy yr stay in France. C'est la vie! Bon soir...

Arcachon
12-05-14, 20:50
Good for u. Enjoy yr stay in France. C'est la vie! Bon soir...

merci beaucoup, bon après-midi

mummy
12-05-14, 20:52
merci beaucoup, bon après-midi

Je t'en prie...

acosean
12-05-14, 21:18
Now I see. The conclusion is: Landed is the winner!

But I will still go with my heart like what Princess has said. My wife also feels there are pros and cos for each, but she can't stand having to maintain our own gardening with pruning, ensuring no termites, rats crawling in, etc. But she likes the landed because land is scare in Singapore and will thus only appreciate over time. But she also likes breath-taking sea views with lots of facilities. I like landed because I can then buy a full electric car without worry because charging it is always ready! However, selling away landed is limited because you can't grab the market of foreigners, unlike PHs. It is also easier and having more bargaining power to rent out PH (because of lifestyle needs such as facilities) to landed housing. Low floors also more prone to mosquitoes and other insects, which PHs would have less.

There are 2 sub-theories from the various perspectives:

1. In other large countries, in the suburbs or more remote areas, having a huge landed house is like nothing - it is the norm. Watch any American movie whereby they live in quiet towns and you'll know what I mean. But in bustling cities where every square inch counts, landed properties are rare or even in non-existence but we do see high-rise apartments everywhere. Thus in the cities, if one can afford to live in a PH, it may be deemed as being luxurious. In Singapore we are neither here nor there, so it is kind of mixed.

2. I wanted to compare between a 2,000-odd sq ft PH with also a 2,000-odd sq ft landed house in the same location. This is because I know that as far as landed housing is concerned, the sky is the limit. Why? After the terrace house, we can have the Semi-D, then the Detached house. Bigger than that, we can have a mansion (those colossal ones found in Sixth Avenue), and even a manor comprising multiple blocks like our Istana does. Then the castle like the Neuschwanstein in Germany. All these are still landed. But how big can a PH go compared to landed? Hope you can get my point.

Wolverine23
12-05-14, 22:02
Penthouses can go really big! and super expensive. Look at the ones in Central Park, etc.

http://gallivantguide.com/monaco-penthouse-387m-worlds-most-expensive/2098/

But I will still go with my heart like what Princess has said. My wife also feels there are pros and cos for each, but she can't stand having to maintain our own gardening with pruning, ensuring no termites, rats crawling in, etc. But she likes the landed because land is scare in Singapore and will thus only appreciate over time. But she also likes breath-taking sea views with lots of facilities. I like landed because I can then buy a full electric car without worry because charging it is always ready! However, selling away landed is limited because you can't grab the market of foreigners, unlike PHs. It is also easier and having more bargaining power to rent out PH (because of lifestyle needs such as facilities) to landed housing. Low floors also more prone to mosquitoes and other insects, which PHs would have less.

1. In other large countries, in the suburbs or more remote areas, having a huge landed house is like nothing - it is the norm. Watch any American movie whereby they live in quiet towns and you'll know what I mean. But in bustling cities where every square inch counts, landed properties are rare or even in non-existence but we do see high-rise apartments everywhere. Thus in the cities, if one can afford to live in a PH, it may be deemed as being luxurious. In Singapore we are neither here nor there, so it is kind of mixed.

2. I wanted to compare between a 2,000-odd sq ft PH with also a 2,000-odd sq ft landed house in the same location. This is because I know that as far as landed housing is concerned, the sky is the limit. Why? After the terrace house, we can have the Semi-D, then the Detached house. Bigger than that, we can have a mansion (those colossal ones found in Sixth Avenue), and even a manor comprising multiple blocks like our Istana does. Then the castle like the Neuschwanstein in Germany. All these are still landed. But how big can a PH go compared to landed? Hope you can get my point.

princess_morbucks
12-05-14, 22:55
Penthouses can go really big! and super expensive. Look at the ones in Central Park, etc.

http://gallivantguide.com/monaco-penthouse-387m-worlds-most-expensive/2098/

Wow, so lavish!
Maybe in my next life when I become a real princess :)!

Each person can only occupy a certain space, so having such a big house, you can't occupy all the space at one time.
As long as I have my own personal space, a toilet mainly to myself, and enough storage space I am quite contented.

Arcachon
12-05-14, 23:12
Wow, so lavish!
Maybe in my next life when I become a real princess :)!

Each person can only occupy a certain space, so having such a big house, you can't occupy all the space at one time.
As long as I have my own personal space, a toilet mainly to myself, and enough storage space I am quite contented.

You already live like a princess, just that you don't know.

zeamybro
13-05-14, 08:39
The newer landed nowadays typically occupy very long and narrow strips of land with very limited frontage ie. chopped from 1 big piece of land into many narrow ones. Newer designs fully maximize the height and most come with a flat roof top :doh:

It's getting harder and harder to find those landed with decent sized gardens which can plant many trees, a big porch and a decent drive way. Instead, the newer ones are mostly fully concreted, with very miserably sized or no grass patch at all.. A pathetic long and narrow strip of 'longkang' by the side which agents will tell u it's a lap pool. In exchange, you get many bedrooms, almost all are ensuites, but you will need to climb several flights of stairs cos they are all splitted into several storeys... Most also come with a huge 'roof top' garden which adds on to floor area.

Personally I feel most of the newer landed have pretty much lost the 'charm and feel' (of staying in a landed) ... My ideal landed will be one with a big garden where I can sit under the tree, read the papers, grow many plants and let my doggies run around ... That's what I called prestige. Sadly, most of these are old beauties are rapidly giving way to the new aged ones which do not appeal to me.

princess_morbucks
13-05-14, 09:46
Some one told me that the flat roof terrace is in a way better than having a real roof so that in the event of leakage, it is easier to rectify.

Yes, I agree...the new terraces are now very concrete!
Most of my neighbours have removed every bit of grass to maximize space,and I am also guilty of that:o!

onglai
14-05-14, 10:39
Assuming condo is more than 2,000 sq ft size and freehold prime districts 9/10/11.

And landed is freehold terrace or semi-D in RCR and OCR.

The condo is more prestigious than the landed.

Location conquers all.

Why?

What is prestige?

It is not just the distance to the city or to amenities.

It is the environment, the neighbourhood and your neighbours.

Landed property in RCR and OCR tends to have a lot of ugly blue-collar Singaporeans who struck it rich through business.

uh.... ts say same location leh... why u compare chanel n bonia?

onglai
14-05-14, 11:08

yeah.. without the ground floor.. where come the ph?