PDA

View Full Version : Seniors benefit from studio apartments

reporter2
09-05-14, 17:47
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/archive/saturday/specials/property/seniors-benefit-studio-apartments-20140508

Published May 08, 2014

Seniors benefit from studio apartments

By goh kang shiong

[email protected]

[SINGAPORE] Senior citizens who have sold their old flats and moved into studio apartments (SAs) have reaped - among other benefits - net sales proceeds of $200,000 per flat.

The figure came from Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan in his post yesterday in the blog, Housing Matters. It was arrived at after outstanding loans on their old flats were paid off, and after the new SAs were fully paid for.

SAs thus make a lot of sense for seniors who are left with larger flats after their children move out to their own flats, he said.

If they choose to stay put in their old flats, they can rent out the available rooms.

Whether they get sale proceeds or earn rental income, these monies are valuable for their retirement needs, the minister added.

Financial help aside, SAs come equipped with elderly-friendly fixtures such as grab bars and emergency alarm systems. They are also conveniently located within HDB towns, which gives senior citizens access to a wide range of public facilities, including Senior Activity Centres that run day programmes for them.

SAs are also attractive to seniors who are living alone and find maintaining a large flat a chore, Mr Khaw pointed out.

A study by his ministry of the 7,600 households which booked SAs between 2006 and last year yielded the following trends:

- Two-thirds of the applicants were below 65 years old;
- Half were living alone, having been divorced, widowed or never married;
- Just over a fifth (22 per cent) chose SAs in the same HDB town;
- Nearly three-quarters (70 per cent) used to own three or four-room flats.

Mr Khaw wrote that although seniors lived alone in their SAs, they still needed family and community support. He promised that his ministry would be on a constant lookout for ways to promote positive and active ageing.

"We are taking SAs a step further by weaving them into integrated developments, like in Kampung Admiralty, for which we broke ground recently. The two blocks of SAs there will have easy access to a hawker centre, public plaza, healthcare, childcare and elder-care services all under the same roof. The co-location is deliberate to promote inter-generational interaction and bonding with their children and grandkids."

phantom_opera
09-05-14, 18:23
200k no need to go back to CPF meh? auto transfer to RA + pay interest if property pledge was used at 55 right?

RCT
09-05-14, 20:59
At the end of their life, they have to stay in smaller flat. I really don't know what is there to be happy about..

Arcachon
09-05-14, 21:46
My father generation believe when the war coming everything is gone.

Present generation are educated by the past generation.

Those who are fortunate to think out of the box, get into good debt brought private rent out HDB or rent out private stay HDB.

MTB cry not fair because their father tell them don't go into debt.

When you are young go into as much good debt as possible, when you are old start to reduce the debt.

mummy
09-05-14, 23:11
As Sg population ages, we would need more studio flats and they are highly popular housing option in retirement from what I read in Salary.sg. It might be a good thing as govt can SERS old flats and rebuild studio apartments killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

smallant
10-05-14, 09:07
But read somwthing like if they sell their flat n move into these old age studio, they must top up their cpf account like medisave n min sum etc. When they sell their hdb.After tat, then any excess cash wuthdraw... after these latest min sum increase. . Anything left to withdraw to enjoy old age or travel ?? ;-(

mummy
10-05-14, 09:25
But read somwthing like if they sell their flat n move into these old age studio, they must top up their cpf account like medisave n min sum etc. When they sell their hdb.After tat, then any excess cash wuthdraw... after these latest min sum increase. . Anything left to withdraw to enjoy old age or travel ?? ;-(

That is the price one pays if you want to retire in Sg loh...why do you think I want to retire in Malaysia ? And I pay my loans in cash not using CPF luckily as the accrued interest we are forced to pay back if we sell does not make sense to me...

mummy
10-05-14, 09:28

That is the price one pays if you want to retire in Sg loh...why do you think I want to retire in Malaysia ? And I pay my loans in cash not using CPF luckily as the accrued interest we are forced to pay back if we sell does not make sense to me...

Why do you think many are chosing to retire in Iskandar and more links ie RTS and HSR are built?