PDA

View Full Version : You see lah! This is the new generation we are raising!

leesg123
05-05-14, 13:08
http://therealsingapore.com/content/singapores-education-system-has-always-been-about-money

SINGAPORE'S EDUCATION SYSTEM HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE MONEY

The education system in Singapore was never a level playing field to begin with. The more money you have, the more options you have. Educational Institutes are becoming increasingly profit-orientated, thousands of students are in debt even before their first day at work because of the student loans.

If we weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you're at a disadvantage from the start. Forget meritocracy, it's all about money.

Person A from high income family who just passes O Levels can opt for a 9- 12-month foundation programme overseas followed by a 3 year degree. Total: 4 years

Person B from a family with middle/low income with good O Level results needs to go to JC/Poly (2/3 years) and then pursue a (3/4 year degree) Total: 5 -7 Years

The difference in years may seem significant, but when you factor in NS for the males, the gap widens. For boys, even if you are able to afford the foundation programme which costs about $10k (w/o accomodation and flight), you still need to pay a deposit of $75,000 to the Government which will be returned back to you once you're back in Singapore.. they don't want their slaves running away

With a degree you may not be unemployed but there's a pretty high chance that you will be underemployed.

All those years (not to mention the money too) in exchange for a few pieces of paper? Is it really worth it?

Ariffin Sha

Last time, not enough places for uni, you complain. now give you options to go uni, you also complain. WTF do u want?
:beats-me-man: Anyway, writer is an opposition person: https://www.facebook.com/poweredbythinking

Allthepies
05-05-14, 13:50
to get much richer than wat you are born with is never about the number, type of degrees you have...

it is about able to use your abilities to provide/create solutions/products/services which people want/need

Arcachon
05-05-14, 14:08
Tell that to a Hedge fund manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlyZSxd3sRk

Les Leopold, How to Make a Million Dollars an Hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX8gg1lOa4w

smellyfish
05-05-14, 14:17
i dont understand why people complain about rich having an advantage. if being rich confers no advantage, then why so many people want to be rich :beats-me-man:

kellogs
05-05-14, 14:32
i dont understand why people complain about rich having an advantage. if being rich confers no advantage, then why so many people want to be rich :beats-me-man:

No wonder Anton Casey's wife said Singapore boys like to complain and too pampered!

Life is never fair to begin with! I am worried how are those youngster going to survive in the society when they are done with school.

Probably they are going to write letter to their MP because he was not promoted or treated fairly.

LIFE IS NEVER FAIR!

teddybear
05-05-14, 14:36
Meritocracy means if you perform well you deserve to be promoted to greater responsibility job, which comes more authority and higher pay.

Meritocracy is NEVER about ensuring that everybody can only do the same thing or cannot do something (like if you can't afford tuition for your kid, you are saying that other people must be prevented from sending their kid for tuition)? :banghead:

Then again, it is the job of MOE to ensure quality teaching in schools so that tuition is not necessary. However, this is an aspect many people are not seeing - E.g. exams questions are set outside of what has been covered and taught in schools, no wonder many people believe "tuition" is a necessity! :rolleyes:

http://therealsingapore.com/content/singapores-education-system-has-always-been-about-money

The education system in Singapore was never a level playing field to begin with. The more money you have, the more options you have. Educational Institutes are becoming increasingly profit-orientated, thousands of students are in debt even before their first day at work because of the student loans.

If we weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you're at a disadvantage from the start. Forget meritocracy, it's all about money.

Person A from high income family who just passes O Levels can opt for a 9- 12-month foundation programme overseas followed by a 3 year degree. Total: 4 years

Person B from a family with middle/low income with good O Level results needs to go to JC/Poly (2/3 years) and then pursue a (3/4 year degree) Total: 5 -7 Years

The difference in years may seem significant, but when you factor in NS for the males, the gap widens. For boys, even if you are able to afford the foundation programme which costs about $10k (w/o accomodation and flight), you still need to pay a deposit of $75,000 to the Government which will be returned back to you once you're back in Singapore.. they don't want their slaves running away

With a degree you may not be unemployed but there's a pretty high chance that you will be underemployed.

All those years (not to mention the money too) in exchange for a few pieces of paper? Is it really worth it?

Ariffin Sha

Last time, not enough places for uni, you complain. now give you options to go uni, you also complain. WTF do u want?
:beats-me-man: Anyway, writer is an opposition person: https://www.facebook.com/poweredbythinking

minority
05-05-14, 15:08
Meritocracy means if you perform well you deserve to be promoted to greater responsibility job, which comes more authority and higher pay.

Meritocracy is NEVER about ensuring that everybody can only do the same thing or cannot do something (like if you can't afford tuition for your kid, you are saying that other people must be prevented from sending their kid for tuition)? :banghead:

Then again, it is the job of MOE to ensure quality teaching in schools so that tuition is not necessary. However, this is an aspect many people are not seeing - E.g. exams questions are set outside of what has been covered and taught in schools, no wonder many people believe "tuition" is a necessity! :rolleyes:

Merticorcay to blame meh? in China last time the parents all want the children to become Official what. Now all want the best for their children. So u mean u want to aspire ur kids to be cleaners and sweepers? No Doctor , lawyers, bankers , pilots etc?

KPKB most kiang.

The current generation is everyday complain and learn to blame other people.

invigorated
05-05-14, 15:14
U may be able to blame ur parents if u are born poor,

But u can only blame yourself if u die poor.

minority
05-05-14, 15:14

Ariffin Sha

This is Biasly misleading. You mean when a person is sick go see a doctor. Would u go see a doctor that is not even qualified? or get a surgeon to operate on you that are not even medically certified? Would one get a non certified person to do your finical planning?

Without any form or certification how you ensure standard?

Arcachon
05-05-14, 15:20
http://ice.jgsu.edu.cn/english/culture/chcu/201105/W020110520638699212021.jpg

In France, you decided what you want to study in the university. If you can study medicine you apply and study. The professor will tell you half of the class will not complete the course.
In Singapore, you want to study medicine you first need the grade, than your sex, than your parent should be doctor, than go for interview..........

hopeful
05-05-14, 15:48
the gripe is that the message of meritocracy/equality does not correspond with reality.

"every school is a good school".
yet the commoners see the elites send their kids to elite schools in bukit timah.

how about patrick tan's 10years NS deferment and then serve NS as a researcher? nobody here has a gripe about it?

in ancient societies, nobody talks about equality, who your parents are play a big role in your life.

if the MIW have from the beginning inform that the things are not equal, then the commoners would be more accepting of their fate in life.

henryhk
05-05-14, 15:50
Tis article is a waste of time

hopeful
05-05-14, 15:58
the enemies of the poor are the poor-turned-rich.

the poor-turned-rich have this mentality :
"i can do it, so can they. if they cannot do it, it means they are lazy (and not hardworking like me)".

most here have these mentality.

we think it is our hardwork that enables us to escape poverty, but usually it is other factors like luck, timing that play a bigger role than hardwork.

does anybody here think we are physically more hardworking than the construction workers ?
does a singaporean telephone receptionist at a top bank deserved higher salary than a bangladeshi construction worker. tell me who is more hardworking.

Arcachon
05-05-14, 16:00
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

Bank print money they don't need your deposit to loan.

eng81157
05-05-14, 16:04
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others".

Bank print money they don't need your deposit to loan.

well, central banks technically need assets to back up the value of the currency

Arcachon
05-05-14, 16:06
well, central banks technically need assets to back up the value of the currency

You means FED.

hopeful
05-05-14, 16:12
just remember:

"There but for the grace of Big G, go I".

many times i forget myself and think success is due to me and myself, yet when i see my employees labouring under the hot sun.

then the phrase "There but for the grace of Big G, go I" pop up so i treat them a little better before i forget again and then treat them a little worse.

Arcachon
05-05-14, 16:20
just remember:

"There but for the grace of Big G, go I".

many times i forget myself and think success is due to me and myself, yet when i see my employees labouring under the hot sun.

then the phrase "There but for the grace of Big G, go I" pop up so i treat them a little better before i forget again and then treat them a little worse.

You come empty, you go empty. What you make in this World stay in this World.

leesg123
05-05-14, 16:45
Tis article is a waste of timeactually we need to be mindful of such dangerous thoughts among the youngs. they will vote in a rouge gov and we all perish, together with our property investment.

hopeful
05-05-14, 16:50
actually we need to be mindful of such dangerous thoughts among the youngs. they will vote in a rouge gov and we all perish, together with our property investment.

so the elderly of singapore really clever le. the birth rate is now 1.2
less young, less chances of voting in rogue govt.

soon, the elderly will outnumber the young and the elderly's property investment will be saved.

eng81157
05-05-14, 16:52
You means FED.

all central banks

phantom_opera
05-05-14, 18:08
@hopeful i start to like your posts :p

teddybear
05-05-14, 18:30
Very deep thoughts and soul-searching.......... :p

@hopeful i start to like your posts :p

Arcachon
05-05-14, 19:07
all central banks

Where have you read, central need assets to back up the value of the currency, can share.

star
05-05-14, 19:36
U can see who r the one that complain the most.
In this world nothing is equal. U want to do better than better work hard and invest smart. Complaining won't help much.

minority
05-05-14, 19:56
http://ice.jgsu.edu.cn/english/culture/chcu/201105/W020110520638699212021.jpg

In France, you decided what you want to study in the university. If you can study medicine you apply and study. The professor will tell you half of the class will not complete the course.
In Singapore, you want to study medicine you first need the grade, than your sex, than your parent should be doctor, than go for interview..........

In France 1st u need to get into university. Which also need some form of criteria of qualification and grades. Not like can just walk in n happy happy choose the medical course without prior qualification.

Similar in SGP a to start getting into a MBBS u need a H2 in A levels.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/nusbulletin/yong-loo-lin-school-medicine/bachelor-medicine-and-bachelor-surgery-mbbs

I dont see and sex , parent criteria.

minority
05-05-14, 19:59
U can see who r the one that complain the most.
In this world nothing is equal. U want to do better than better work hard and invest smart. Complaining won't help much.

Well some wish things fall from the sky. like 4D.

Arcachon
05-05-14, 20:11
In France 1st u need to get into university. Which also need some form of criteria of qualification and grades. Not like can just walk in n happy happy choose the medical course without prior qualification.

Similar in SGP a to start getting into a MBBS u need a H2 in A levels.
http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/nusbulletin/yong-loo-lin-school-medicine/bachelor-medicine-and-bachelor-surgery-mbbs

I dont see and sex , parent criteria.

Did you get a reply why you are not selected for medicine. Not all criteria are spell out.

teddybear
05-05-14, 20:27
Ha ha ha, you are the enlightened one?
We all know something about those things but nobody will admit it openly.................... :rolleyes:

Did you get a reply why you are not selected for medicine. Not all criteria are spell out.

Arcachon
05-05-14, 20:36
Ha ha ha, you are the enlightened one?
We all know something about those things but nobody will admit it openly.................... :rolleyes:

God give us 2 EAR, 2 EYE and only one mouth, use it in the right order and you will be fine.

Werther
05-05-14, 22:59
Hi bros,

Given a choice, which profession is preferred law or accountancy degree?

minority
05-05-14, 23:30

Oh really ? u are feeling jaded becoz u cannot qualify?

minority
05-05-14, 23:31
God give us 2 EAR, 2 EYE and only one mouth, use it in the right order and you will be fine.

I guess God forgot the grey matter?

minority
05-05-14, 23:32
Hi bros,

Given a choice, which profession is preferred law or accountancy degree?

These guys will tell u they preferred to sweep the floor and wash dishes but expected to be paid like a lawyer and accountant.

Werther
06-05-14, 00:48
These guys will tell u they preferred to sweep the floor and wash dishes but expected to be paid like a lawyer and accountant.

Bro

You so funny...:tongue3:

Arcachon
06-05-14, 03:56
Oh really ? u are feeling jaded becoz u cannot qualify?

I know a GP whose father is a doctor, he is a doctor and his son studying to be a doctor.
He told me his friend is one of the doctor who select 200 out of 600 straight A, A level student to study medicine and the reason his son is selected because his is a doctor.

When you use your ear more often, people like to share with you, if you use your mouth too often, people like to avoid you.

minority
06-05-14, 07:51
I know a GP whose father is a doctor, he is a doctor and his son studying to be a doctor.
He told me his friend is one of the doctor who select 200 out of 600 straight A, A level student to study medicine and the reason his son is selected because his is a doctor.

When you use your ear more often, people like to share with you, if you use your mouth too often, people like to avoid you.

I have a cousin who is a doctor. the mother is a civil servant father is a admin clerk in a small sme. when you open your eyes a bit more u won't be so blinded by hear say.

teddybear
06-05-14, 08:03
No point talking to that one, because for all you know, he is a mole............. :eek:

minority
06-05-14, 08:10
No point talking to that one, because for all you know, he is a mole............. :eek:

And u are THE HOLE? LOL!!!!!

leesg123
06-05-14, 08:30

This one no need argue. U randomly pick a med student, the odd is quite high that the family also already have a doctor.

leesg123
06-05-14, 08:31
I have a cousin who is a doctor. the mother is a civil servant father is a admin clerk in a small sme. when you open your eyes a bit more u won't be so blinded by hear say.

This is possible and of course a must otherwise the med sch will be deemed biased and elitist. So they do take in some commoners, some, to avoid being too obvious.

teddybear
06-05-14, 08:42
I heard it is the same for GEP classes similar to what you said for med sch?............. :o

This is possible and of course a must otherwise the med sch will be deemed biased and elitist. So they do take in some commoners, some, to avoid being too obvious.

hopeful
06-05-14, 09:21

when you have farmers as parents, does the parents teach the children about farming? (i supposed the children also help out in the farm.)

when you have blacksmiths as parents, does the parents teach the children about smithing? (i supposed the children also help out in the smithy.)

when you have electrical engineers as parents, does the parents teach the children about electricity?

when you have doctors as parents, what does the parents teach?
so is it any wonder if the majority of intakes have doctors as parents?

which is more likely?
A) a civil engineer talking about the technical aspects and difficulties of underground construction of MRT.
B) a civil engineer talking about the technical aspects and difficulties of brain surgery to the children.

no fxxking wonder the new generation we are raising, when we have fxxking wonderful current generation folks like lxxxx123.

minority
06-05-14, 11:18
This one no need argue. U randomly pick a med student, the odd is quite high that the family also already have a doctor.

u have proof of than of actual statistics? I no need random. I have a cousin is a doctor the other a anaesthetist who's parents are just a teacher and salesman.

So ur so call randomness is up to you to say.

leesg123
06-05-14, 11:30
when you have farmers as parents, does the parents teach the children about farming? (i supposed the children also help out in the farm.)

when you have blacksmiths as parents, does the parents teach the children about smithing? (i supposed the children also help out in the smithy.)

when you have electrical engineers as parents, does the parents teach the children about electricity?

when you have doctors as parents, what does the parents teach?
so is it any wonder if the majority of intakes have doctors as parents?

which is more likely?
A) a civil engineer talking about the technical aspects and difficulties of underground construction of MRT.
B) a civil engineer talking about the technical aspects and difficulties of brain surgery to the children.

no fxxking wonder the new generation we are raising, when we have fxxking wonderful current generation folks like lxxxx123.you are too cheem. catch no ball at what you are driving at. :scared-5: if i understand correctly, you are saying that fXXking folks like hxxxful will teach his/her offsprings fxxking ideas and raise similar fxxking kids? :rolleyes:

leesg123
06-05-14, 11:32
u have proof of than of actual statistics? I no need random. I have a cousin is a doctor the other a anaesthetist who's parents are just a teacher and salesman.

So ur so call randomness is up to you to say.
i also randomly chat with older doctors and their children are either doctors or lawyers. i think we need mummy here to share her experience in local med school.

hopeful
06-05-14, 11:54
you are too cheem. catch no ball at what you are driving at. :scared-5: if i understand correctly, you are saying that fXXking folks like hxxxful will teach his/her offsprings fxxking ideas and raise similar fxxking kids? :rolleyes:

yes, you got it correct.
fXXking folks like hxxxful will teach his/her offsprings fxxking ideas and raise similar fxxking kids.

businessman talk business with the kids.
businessman pass down business to the kids.

fisherman talk fish with kids
fisherman dont talk brain surgery with kids.

so doctors talk about medicine, surgery, the interesting medical problems they face at work with their kids.
if the kids are interested, they would absorb these knowledge and when come to selection time, they would have an advantage over those candidates who don't have doctors as parents.

so there is no need for theory about letting commoners in just for image.

btw, you can continue to act stupid.

leesg123
06-05-14, 12:15
yes, you got it correct.
fXXking folks like hxxxful will teach his/her offsprings fxxking ideas and raise similar fxxking kids.

businessman talk business with the kids.
businessman pass down business to the kids.

fisherman talk fish with kids
fisherman dont talk brain surgery with kids.

so doctors talk about medicine, surgery, the interesting medical problems they face at work with their kids.
if the kids are interested, they would absorb these knowledge and when come to selection time, they would have an advantage over those candidates who don't have doctors as parents.

so there is no need for theory about letting commoners in just for image.

btw, you can continue to act stupid.i think we are so fxxked up in a fxxking place and a fxxked up forum already :cool: :D

minority
06-05-14, 13:53
i also randomly chat with older doctors and their children are either doctors or lawyers. i think we need mummy here to share her experience in local med school.

ur random and my random are not the same random then.

minority
06-05-14, 13:55
i think we are so fxxked up in a fxxking place and a fxxked up forum already :cool: :D

if u think its Fxxked up then its Fxxked up. There are those who think its great then its great. Thats the life's randomness with make it wonderful!

irisng
06-05-14, 19:57

Even if they are being picked up, they must be capable too. Doctor is a professional job, it is to save people and not to kill people.

leesg123
06-05-14, 22:12
Even if they are being picked up, they must be capable too. Doctor is a professional job, it is to save people and not to kill people.

Yah, true. We are discussing on the fact that, if let say there are 50 candidates EQUALLY good academically and CCA excellent too. How to select if there are only 30 vacancies? There will be entrance exam. An engineer's (cleaner or civil servant or bus driver) child or a doctor's child will stand a better chance?

hopeful
06-05-14, 22:34
what does entrance exam consist of?

minority
07-05-14, 00:17
Yah, true. We are discussing on the fact that, if let say there are 50 candidates EQUALLY good academically and CCA excellent too. How to select if there are only 30 vacancies? There will be entrance exam. An engineer's (cleaner or civil servant or bus driver) child or a doctor's child will stand a better chance?

ur example so simple? every heard of a bell curve? and how in the world 50 have the exact scoring n CCA? they are clones?

eng81157
07-05-14, 08:50

let me settle this. i work with doctors and from the horse's mouth, even doctors themselves acknowledge that the selection exam isn't a fair playing ground.

bell curve?! only a naive moron would quote the use of it

minority
07-05-14, 09:56
let me settle this. i work with doctors and from the horse's mouth, even doctors themselves acknowledge that the selection exam isn't a fair playing ground.

bell curve?! only a naive moron would quote the use of it

and becoz u say it we must believe u? HAH!

I interact with people who became doctors and have close cousins who became doctors who are from humble background.

And becoz u say so and its truth? wat a joke.!

eng81157
07-05-14, 09:58
and becoz u say it we must believe u? HAH!

I interact with people who became doctors and have close cousins who became doctors who are from humble background.

And becoz u say so and its truth? wat a joke.!

so moron, are those doctors on the selection panel? just because you interact with doctors - big deal?! i'm work with them.

minority
07-05-14, 10:41
so moron, are those doctors on the selection panel? just because you interact with doctors - big deal?! i'm work with them.

big deal? my 2 cousins who parents are not docs and are not on the board. and they are doc.

So who make what you say gospel truth! LOL!!!

eng81157
07-05-14, 11:06
big deal? my 2 cousins who parents are not docs and are not on the board. and they are doc.

So who make what you say gospel truth! LOL!!!

kum gong! that's not the issue! who ever said that med school positions are meant solely for those who have parents that are doctors!?

learn to read and stop shifting goal posts, as always. the issue is the entrance exam isn't a level playing field. it is the same as the NUS law faculty that the dean had to stipulate changes.

ah gong, learn to read

hopeful
07-05-14, 13:22
if nobody knows, the we are arguing about something we dont know :)

btw
can the panel ask the candidate whether the parents are doctors and their names?

I look at popular bookstore, don't have 10 year series on law and medical entrance exams questions le.
so those candidates who have parents as doctors would stand better chance, they have been be taught by their parents how to answer, how to behave, what questions to be expected.

oth, the candidates (no parents doctors/uncles/aunties) who passed the selection is probably of higher quality.

minority
07-05-14, 14:01
kum gong! that's not the issue! who ever said that med school positions are meant solely for those who have parents that are doctors!?

learn to read and stop shifting goal posts, as always. the issue is the entrance exam isn't a level playing field. it is the same as the NUS law faculty that the dean had to stipulate changes.

ah gong, learn to read

ah kum.. pls read what the previous post is all about before you jump into the conversation with your BS.

eng81157
07-05-14, 14:06

btw
can the panel ask the candidate whether the parents are doctors and their names?

I look at popular bookstore, don't have 10 year series on law and medical entrance exams questions le.
so those candidates who have parents as doctors would stand better chance, they have been be taught by their parents how to answer, how to behave, what questions to be expected.

oth, the candidates (no parents doctors/uncles/aunties) who passed the selection is probably of higher quality.

aptitude/personality test & interview. the unfair playing field begins before the entrance test - e.g. 1000 straight As students apply and so how does the selection panel choose from?

i know doctors on the selection panel who have been pestered by colleagues whose kid/niece/nephew are applying to get into med school and doctors who confirm that such an 'unspoken' practice exist.

eng81157
07-05-14, 14:10

to the major kum gong, nah this is the topic. so stupid that you don't know what you're arguing about

hopeful
07-05-14, 14:20
aptitude/personality test & interview. the unfair playing field begins before the entrance test - e.g. 1000 straight As students apply and so how does the selection panel choose from?

i know doctors on the selection panel who have been pestered by colleagues whose kid/niece/nephew are applying to get into med school and doctors who confirm that such an 'unspoken' practice exist.

what are the drop out rates for med school ?
if low, then it means the selection board is doing a good job, yes?

so those outsiders (with no doctor connection) have to shine until there is no reason for selection board to reject, yes?

anyway, this is social stratification.
if you want your children to succeed, better put in lots of extra work so that you can send ur kids to overseas med school.
when ur child becomes a doctor, he then can pressure his colleagues so that your grandchildren can go to nus med school.

jumping across strata lines is difficult now and it will even be more difficult in the future.

eng81157
07-05-14, 14:27
what are the drop out rates for med school ?
if low, then it means the selection board is doing a good job, yes?

so those outsiders (with no doctor connection) have to shine until there is no reason for selection board to reject, yes?

anyway, this is social stratification.
if you want your children to succeed, better put in lots of extra work so that you can send ur kids to overseas med school.
when ur child becomes a doctor, he then can pressure his colleagues so that your grandchildren can go to nus med school.

jumping across strata lines is difficult now and it will even be more difficult in the future.

shine until there is no reason for selection board to reject? the process itself is murky. grades are used as the bench mark but there are so much more applicants than places available.

low drop out rate doesn't necessarily coorelate to the performance of the selection panel. i've met yr 4 med school drop outs, graduates who dislike the profession and switched (in there because of parental aspirations).

hopeful
07-05-14, 14:52

low drop out rate doesn't necessarily coorelate to the performance of the selection panel. i've met yr 4 med school drop outs, graduates who dislike the profession and switched (in there because of parental aspirations).

so the selection board still doing good job, yes.
perhap a bit of nepotism, but the people they let in are still technically qualified, their brains can cope with the rigours, only their hearts are not there.

is there any way for interviewers to screen their hearts?

eng81157
07-05-14, 15:20
so the selection board still doing good job, yes.
perhap a bit of nepotism, but the people they let in are still technically qualified, their brains can cope with the rigours, only their hearts are not there.

is there any way for interviewers to screen their hearts?

i wouldn't go so far as to claim that it is nepotism. the selection panel is professional but the process is murky.

all i am saying is that there is no real level playing field in reality, unlike as claimed by some major moron.

Arcachon
07-05-14, 16:18
http://annals.edu.sg/pdf/34VolNo6200506/V34N6p147C.pdf

http://www.geraldtan.com/premed/life_cycle.html

http://smj.sma.org.sg/5005/5005a1.pdf

minority
07-05-14, 16:53

so then when you go for a job interview its also unfair. Pls tell that to the HR and MGR hiring a dumb ass like you. coz according to you interview process are not fair. u should demand to be hired on the spot.

minority
07-05-14, 16:56
to the major kum gong, nah this is the topic. so stupid that you don't know what you're arguing about

ah gong read my response.

ur example so simple? every heard of a bell curve? and how in the world 50 have the exact scoring n CCA? they are clones?

eng81157
07-05-14, 17:08
ah gong read my response.

ah dai, it's a fact that the bell curve isn't applied in the pre-selection process. wanna argue against that? please go present your case to NUS

teddybear
07-05-14, 22:59
Just like the White Horse scheme had been denied for don't know how many donkey years until they admit it and then they tell you that they did it to level the playing field for you common laymen's own good! :sleep:

i wouldn't go so far as to claim that it is nepotism. the selection panel is professional but the process is murky.

all i am saying is that there is no real level playing field in reality, unlike as claimed by some major moron.

minority
07-05-14, 23:33
Just like the White Horse scheme had been denied for don't know how many donkey years until they admit it and then they tell you that they did it to level the playing field for you common laymen's own good! :sleep:

you mean its like the Singaporean have priority getting into primary school scheme ? like that kind of un level playing field?

teddybear
07-05-14, 23:45
I am talking about white horse scheme, and you trying to beat around the bush? :p

you mean its like the Singaporean have priority getting into primary school scheme ? like that kind of un level playing field?

minority
08-05-14, 00:13
I am talking about white horse scheme, and you trying to beat around the bush? :p

yeah I am trying to co-relate with what you trying to say. that is beat around the bush? u mean its not the same? can you tell me why not the same? its unlevel playing field u mention right? why? u have selective vision?:sleep::sleep:

teddybear
08-05-14, 08:23
You have a history of trying to diverge the topic when you can't reply, hence people know what you are up to.
Again, if you look back to my previous posts, I had already said Primary school registration is also unlevel playing field, with all those PAP grassroots, clans, affiliations having priority etc. They don't seem capable of making fair playing field?

So now, White horse scheme, equal playing field, you say?

Like they always say, their approach will always be "targeted", and needs "mean testing" so that we don't subsidize Singaporeans who are rich enough to fend for themselves. Now now, we can accept that.
However, suddenly, their "targeted approach" and "means testing" that they advocated all along are all thrown out of the window with their pushing through of the Pioneer Generation Package?

Why are they now throwing money at many of the pioneer generation who are rich enough without "mean testing" and without "targeted approach" to avoid wasting tax-payers' money?! These money can be used to help many many non-pioneers who are in greater need of help! Govt and charity money not enough to help these in needs that is why so many charities drive needed! Why throw money at people who don't need it????????????????????? :rolleyes:

yeah I am trying to co-relate with what you trying to say. that is beat around the bush? u mean its not the same? can you tell me why not the same? its unlevel playing field u mention right? why? u have selective vision?:sleep::sleep:

hopeful
08-05-14, 09:22
Does lky qualified for pgp package?

eng81157
08-05-14, 09:33
Does lky qualified for pgp package?

of course! he is THE pioneer

hopeful
08-05-14, 09:55
No wonder no means testing.
Teddy, u get the answwr already :)

minority
08-05-14, 09:56
You have a history of trying to diverge the topic when you can't reply, hence people know what you are up to.
Again, if you look back to my previous posts, I had already said Primary school registration is also unlevel playing field, with all those PAP grassroots, clans, affiliations having priority etc. They don't seem capable of making fair playing field?

Like they always say, their approach will always be "targeted", and needs "mean testing" so that we don't subsidize Singaporeans who are rich enough to fend for themselves. Now now, we can accept that.
However, suddenly, their "targeted approach" and "means testing" that they advocated all along are all thrown out of the window with their pushing through of the Pioneer Generation Package?

Why are they now throwing money at many of the pioneer generation who are rich enough without "mean testing" and without "targeted approach" to avoid wasting tax-payers' money?! These money can be used to help many many non-pioneers who are in greater need of help! Govt and charity money not enough to help these in needs that is why so many charities drive needed! Why throw money at people who don't need it????????????????????? :rolleyes:

talk about dancing ard ang going off tangent. u didn't take ur meds this morning? or the nurse forgot to change your diapers? LOL!!!!!

So u haven't answer my question you are complaining about non level playing field right? so I am just trying to clarify what you are tell me u are defined as non level playing field which u deem unfair.. so Singaporean given preference in primary school for example. means ? the Singaporean in primary school is white horse?

I am just trying to understand your logic.

minority
08-05-14, 19:35

oh now u say pioneer generation are rich? I thought u say many old and poor people wiping table ?

anyway its already means tested. those who can pay and those who cannot pay avg together. if not how are you going to nego with the insurer to just cover those who are sick. anyway back the the level playing field. u have not answer my question. Singaporean get priority in primary school is that the same as ur so call white horse scheme? Singaporean is the white horse?

mummy
10-05-14, 21:09

Just started surfing this thread...

My dad was just a senior technician who only had Primary 6 equivalent in Malaysia and my mum only O level equivalent but somehow I got into GEP, did well in my exams and got into medicine.

I think they try to look at the kind of person you are as character is very important in a doctor. Your values and so on. Many of my classmates did not get in. Some went to Ivy League, oxford and cambridge to study medicine while some went to dentistry and science..

mummy
10-05-14, 21:17

btw

I have classmates whose parents are doctors like DeAN and HOD and also know of SMA GP President whose son did not get in so I would say if your parents are very senior drs you have a high chance even if result not outstanding. Also I have classmates who are rugby players and results also so so but got in too.

MGM
13-05-14, 11:02
to get much richer than wat you are born with is never about the number, type of degrees you have...

it is about able to use your abilities to provide/create solutions/products/services which people want/need

Ya it's true, born rich of cus puts u in a head start as parents may have more ability to put the child in better education, talent grooming, eg music, art etc. Hence the child has more exposure.

Singapore education tends to pump so much homework and irrelevant stuffs to students that it can have negative effects on students, eg, make them give up catching up sch work cus it becomes a routine.

The best education in the world, in Finland, they teach less, but they create the curiosity in children, so when they go back home, they themselves want to discover more about the subject and they really do what they can to get more info.

Without curiousity, it's hard...

Shanhz
19-05-14, 14:24

the only comment worth reading. :tongue3:

minority
19-05-14, 15:45
Ya it's true, born rich of cus puts u in a head start as parents may have more ability to put the child in better education, talent grooming, eg music, art etc. Hence the child has more exposure.

Singapore education tends to pump so much homework and irrelevant stuffs to students that it can have negative effects on students, eg, make them give up catching up sch work cus it becomes a routine.

The best education in the world, in Finland, they teach less, but they create the curiosity in children, so when they go back home, they themselves want to discover more about the subject and they really do what they can to get more info.

Without curiousity, it's hard...

not everyone have the ability or smartness. but a good eduction gives everyone a level playing field. defiantly the smarter ones will get further provided they put in hard work too. don't mean a person with the smarts but not willing to do much can just get ahead either....