PDA

View Full Version : The BMW X5 M50d is more impressive than it sounds

princess_morbucks
12-04-14, 19:57
Yahoo Singapore ‏@YahooSG 1m

The BMW X5 M50d is more impressive than it sounds. Has three turbo-chargers: http://bit.ly/1lWQjPH pic.twitter.com/XimYc9Xgod

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlBPXDgIYAAN31I.jpg

Simi
12-04-14, 20:28
The M550d carries a number of firsts. Firstly, it is the first member of a new range of M Performance Automobiles to be introduced by BMW. These cars will include X5 M50d, X6 M50d, M135i and most likely M335i as well. They will be positioned between the real M-cars and the regular BMW models as an attempt to broaden the spectrum of M models (perhaps Munich has forgotten that the M was originally stand for Motorsport). In other words, the M550d can be described as the spiritual successor of the M535i which ran between 1979 and 1987 as a poor man's M5.

Secondly, the M550d is the first diesel car to carry the M badge, just as its name suggested. AMG toyed with the idea of performance diesel a decade ago, but it is Munich that comes first to market such a car. Thirdly, also the most important in my opinion, the car introduces the world's first ever production engine with 3 turbochargers. Yes, three turbos on a 3-liter straight-six. It has taken a step further than the already potent, sequential twin-turbocharged 535d. Let's see how it works.

The 2993cc aluminum-block diesel motor, codenamed N57S, is derived from the company's existing unit on 530d and 535d, but it utilizes a unique tri-turbo system and a 2200-bar common-rail piezo direct injection. There are 2 small, high-pressure turbochargers with variable turbine geometry (VTG) and a large, low-pressure turbocharger with fixed turbine geometry. They are arranged such that the two small turbos work in parallel to supply the large turbo at full boost.
From just over idle, all exhaust is directed to drive one of the small turbos, which spools up quickly due to its low inertia and VTG. From 1500 rpm, the large turbo joins the work. Now the small turbo and large turbo work in series (or stage) to provide higher boost pressure. At 2700 rpm, the small turbo reaches its maximum flow capacity, so the second small VTG turbo intervenes. A vacuum-modulated exhaust flap opens up another path to the second small turbo. In this way, the large turbo enjoys greater supply of exhaust gas from both small turbos, thus the maximum boost pressure of 2.5 bars can be achieved. As seen, the 3-stage manner of the tri-turbo system has a number of advantages: quick low-end response, high boost pressure at high rpm and a wider power band.

The result is 381 horsepower released at 4000-4400 rpm, 546 pound-foot of torque available from 2000 to 3000 rpm and an unusually high redline of 5400 rpm. For comparison, the existing 535d manages 313 hp, 465 lbft and 5000 rpm redline. The tri-turbo engine's specific output of 127 hp/liter is not only a record for diesel engines but also matches that of the M5 ! To withstand the high stress, its crankcase, crankshaft and connecting rods have been reinforced. This, together with the complicated ducts, bypass valves, extra thermal insulation and stronger intercooler, adds 24 kg to the engine.

The M550d is mandatory to use ZF 8-speed automatic transmission instead of M5's 7-speed twin-clutch gearbox. It might be more capable to handle the higher peak torque, but the automatic is also more suited to the effortless, easy-going manner of M550d. For the same reason, it gets 4-wheel drive as standard, hence the "xDrive" badge. Unfortunately, because the right-hand-drive 5-Series is not compatible with xDrive hardware, whose front-drive mechanism locates at the right side of the engine thus blocks the steering column, the M550d will not be available to RHD markets.
On the road, the tri-turbo diesel engine is nothing short of amazing. It produces gigantic torque and impressive flexibility from less than 2000 rpm, enabling instant acceleration without downshifting. The kind of mid-range shove could put the M5 into embarrassment at times, although it runs out of steam earlier. The engine feels more gasoline than diesel, as it is smoother and more responsive to throttle input than any other performance diesel engines ever known. Despite of the super-high boost pressure, turbo lag is virtually non-existent. Quite incredibly, it also sings beautifully, more like a V8 soundtrack. Not sure whether it comes from the tricky sound synthesizer.

Ultimately, the M550d fails to deliver the same kind of performance and excitement as the M5. While its official 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds trails the M5 by just a couple of tenths, the difference will stretch larger once the M5 has overcome initial slippage and its driver determined to work out his best. Despite of its undieselness, the diesel straight-six cannot match the M5's twin-turbo V8 for initial throttle response, smoothness, eagerness for rev and ultimate power. Yes, its power is easier to access, but it is also more restrained ultimately. In other words, it lacks the broad talent of the M5 engine. The automatic gearbox is a tad slow in manual mode compared with the DCT.

In the twisty, the M550d also lacks the M5's controllability. Its xDrive mechanism sends power to front wheels whenever the rear starts losing traction. That is undoubtedly good for running on wet or snowy roads. On the dry, however, the xDrive prevents the M550d from inducing power slide like the M5. Therefore it is not as much fun to drive. Besides, the M5 displays slightly sharper chassis response and stronger braking owing to its stiffer suspension setup and larger brakes.

As an everyday Autobahn rocket, the M550d is probably a better bet than the real M-car. It is fast and refined at cruising speed. It returns a combined consumption of 44.8 mpg and carbon footprint of only 165 g/km. Nothing else at this performance level comes close to those figures. However, if you want a large sedan that is simultaneously comfortable for everyday use and hugely exciting to drive, nothing could match the M5.

princess_morbucks
12-04-14, 21:10
Unfortunately, because the right-hand-drive 5-Series is not compatible with xDrive hardware, whose front-drive mechanism locates at the right side of the engine thus blocks the steering column, the M550d will not be available to RHD markets.

The car featured is BMW X5 M50d.

Simi
12-04-14, 21:44
The car featured is BMW X5 M50d.

Hi Princess

Yes, I know

just adding on la

princess_morbucks
12-04-14, 21:54
Hi Princess

Yes, I know

just adding on la

Thanks.:)
I was confused at first cos I thought that model you highlighted was the one yahoo reviewed, and was wondering why yahoo go review something not available in Singapore.

Simi
12-04-14, 22:12
Thanks.:)
I was confused at first cos I thought that model you highlighted was the one yahoo reviewed, and was wondering why yahoo go review something not available in Singapore.

Princess

just a add on how the M was introduced to the X

Read the first para :D

The M550d carries a number of firsts. Firstly, it is the first member of a new range of M Performance Automobiles to be introduced by BMW. These cars will include X5 M50d, X6 M50d, M135i and most likely M335i as well. They will be positioned between the real M-cars and the regular BMW models as an attempt to broaden the spectrum of M models (perhaps Munich has forgotten that the M was originally stand for Motorsport). In other words, the M550d can be described as the spiritual successor of the M535i which ran between 1979 and 1987 as a poor man's M5

fiat500
13-04-14, 03:16
Princess

just a add on how the M was introduced to the X

Read the first para :D

The M550d carries a number of firsts. Firstly, it is the first member of a new range of M Performance Automobiles to be introduced by BMW. These cars will include X5 M50d, X6 M50d, M135i and most likely M335i as well. They will be positioned between the real M-cars and the regular BMW models as an attempt to broaden the spectrum of M models (perhaps Munich has forgotten that the M was originally stand for Motorsport). In other words, the M550d can be described as the spiritual successor of the M535i which ran between 1979 and 1987 as a poor man's M5
What bimmers are u driving now?
U must be a big bimmer fan.. :)

Simi
13-04-14, 22:19
What bimmers are u driving now?
U must be a big bimmer fan.. :)

:)

happened to read about it in autozine :ashamed1:

minority
13-04-14, 23:23
one big problem is singapore performance motor is really bad. the after service they will charge a arm a leg plus the head.

Simi
13-04-14, 23:35
one big problem is singapore performance motor is really bad. the after service they will charge a arm a leg plus the head.

there are many former technician and engineer from PML who started their own workshop

find the right one
the one that uses genuine spare parts

minority
13-04-14, 23:37
there are many former technician and engineer from PML who started their own workshop

find the right one

Not if u want to keep your warranty if its a new car.

Simi
13-04-14, 23:41
Not if u want to keep your warranty if its a new car.

I mean after warranty la
get the right workshop that gives you the genuine spare parts is the outmost importance

coincidently sending mine for service tomorrow :)

fiat500
14-04-14, 10:14
I mean after warranty la
get the right workshop that gives you the genuine spare parts is the outmost importance

Can u recommend which are the outside workshops good in servicing bimmers @ much lower cost?

minority
14-04-14, 11:37
I mean after warranty la

yup thats what most people did. but inciendientally becoz of that i would prefer the M brand better.

Jaykj
15-04-14, 07:11

find the right one
the one that uses genuine spare parts

Recently I tried Munich Auto as I couldn't get a servicing date with PML unless 10 days later. Quite satisfied with the job done and SA who attended to me. Took time to explain work done and recommended work that can be deferred. Labour & parts same as PML but they had a promo for free pickup from home/ office.

Took another of my bimmer to BCA Workshop @ Sim Ming, labour charges similar to PML & Munich but less than satisfied with their attitude. I will give that a miss. Will try other workshops for this bimmer. Can recommend some? Thanks!

Simi
15-04-14, 20:41
Recently I tried Munich Auto as I couldn't get a servicing date with PML unless 10 days later. Quite satisfied with the job done and SA who attended to me. Took time to explain work done and recommended work that can be deferred. Labour & parts same as PML but they had a promo for free pickup from home/ office.

Took another of my bimmer to BCA Workshop @ Sim Ming, labour charges similar to PML & Munich but less than satisfied with their attitude. I will give that a miss. Will try other workshops for this bimmer. Can recommend some? Thanks!

Hi the one at Sin Ming, agreed with you

check your PM box

Simi
29-04-14, 23:52
Trident launches Icenci GT model with range of 2,000 miles

http://www.motortorque.com/news/trident-launches-icenci-gt-model-with-range-of-2000-miles-25308

Simi
30-04-14, 00:05
Can u recommend which are the outside workshops good in servicing bimmers @ much lower cost?

Hi fiat

so sorry
just read your posting

I have replied into your PM box

Simi
23-05-14, 16:12
Man Owned and Drove the Same Car Since 1928-Truth! Some Details Inaccurate!

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/Allan-Swift-Rolls-050613.htm#.U38CiLCKDct