PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to a bigger landed house?

mummy
03-04-14, 10:04
Just got a new job that can double my income...thinking should I upgrade to a bigger landed since we can afford it.

Is it the right time to buy or should I wait for prices to fall?

Will landed still go up over the long term?

Going to view a Lorong Ong Lye semi d 3600 sq ft land and 3000sq ft built up asking for 3.15 million which makes it 875psf...seems like a steal as we bought our current terrace at 842psf 4 years ago...

Should I postpone my early retirement dream for now and invest for higher returns?

yowetan
03-04-14, 10:24
Just got a new job that can double my income...thinking should I upgrade to a bigger landed since we can afford it.

Going to view a Lorong Ong Lye semi d 3600 sq ft land and 3000sq ft built up asking for 3.15 million which makes it 875psf...seems like a steal as we bought our current terrace at 842psf 4 years ago...

Should I postpone my early retirement dream for now and invest for higher returns?

One piece of advice after I assess your plot gone so far between two forum(s) - Don't count your eggs too soon.

mummy
03-04-14, 10:47
One piece of advice after I assess your plot gone so far between two forum(s) - Don't count your eggs too soon.

From your personal experience???

xebay11
03-04-14, 10:48
For what it's worth, planning wise is best to get the Semi D rather than plan to buy property and retire in JB.

Timing wise it's your call, no one knows the future.

hopeful
03-04-14, 10:49
regarding postponement of early retirement, what happen to your dream to do volunteer/charity/missionary work in africa?

oh i get it, the salary increase is used to buy bigger house and retire same age as before, and not to make your early retirement dream come much earlier.

mummy
03-04-14, 10:51
For what it's worth, planning wise is best to get the Semi D rather than plan to buy property and retire in JB.

Timing wise it's your call, no one knows the future.

Thanks for yr advice....also think the semi D is a good investment opportunity...

mummy
03-04-14, 10:52
regarding postponement of early retirement, what happen to your dream to do volunteer/charity/missionary work in africa?

oh i get it, the salary increase is used to buy bigger house and retire same age as before, and not to make your early retirement dream come much earlier.

Yes, you got it...to help me make money faster to retire early...cannot imagine retiring only 2 of us in a big house...no point...so really an investment and to upgrade for a while....

economist
03-04-14, 11:11

Thought it was asking higher than this, saw this ad before...

mummy
03-04-14, 11:15
Thought it was asking higher than this, saw this ad before...

Apparently just lowered....2 other properties I was thinking of viewing got sold before I had a chance and getting 3 viewers this sat for my house so I think market still not too bad...

economist
03-04-14, 11:23
Apparently just lowered....2 other properties I was thinking of viewing got sold before I had a chance and getting 3 viewers this sat for my house so I think market still not too bad...

The lowered price seems fair, a similar sized nearby semi-D with land area 3,412 was sold for 3.29m in Apr 2012. Not sure about build-up quality or renovations though.

Market is not bad for fairly valued properties, buyers are still there, just getting more selective.

mummy
03-04-14, 11:29
The lowered price seems fair, a similar sized nearby semi-D with land area 3,412 was sold for 3.29m in Apr 2012. Not sure about build-up quality or renovations though.

Market is not bad for fairly valued properties, buyers are still there, just getting more selective.

Wow, so this one seems a steal...lower psf than the one u mentioned...

economist
03-04-14, 11:32
Wow, so this one seems a steal...lower psf than the one u mentioned...

I would not call anything a steal until the detailed locations are compared, building quality, interiors, neighbors should also be taken into consideration.

mummy
03-04-14, 11:37
I would not call anything a steal until the detailed locations are compared, building quality, interiors, neighbors should also be taken into consideration.

Ok, will take note when I go for viewing at 1pm..

hopeful
03-04-14, 11:47
Yes, you got it...to help me make money faster to retire early...cannot imagine retiring only 2 of us in a big house...no point...so really an investment and to upgrade for a while....

sorry dont get you.
scenario1
now you have bigger income. you want to upgrade to bigger house and incur more debt. early retirement age still same as before increment in salary.

scenario2
bigger income. stay in same small house. pay down debt faster. reach early retirement much faster.

which is which?

yowetan
03-04-14, 11:51
sorry dont get you.
scenario1
now you have bigger income. you want to upgrade to bigger house and incur more debt. early retirement age still same as before increment in salary.

scenario2
bigger income. stay in same small house. pay down debt faster. reach early retirement much faster.

which is which?

Human nature.

Greed.

Complacent.

Over-confident.

Interest rate is climbing up.

Healthcare industry is not bed of roses...

mummy
03-04-14, 11:52
sorry dont get you.
scenario1

scenario2

which is which?

Just considering my options....whether to use the extra savings to pay down mortgage or to invest for faster and bigger profits...

mummy
03-04-14, 11:56
Human nature.

Greed.

Complacent.

Over-confident.

Interest rate is climbing up.

Healthcare industry is not bed of roses...

And u r not the same and even more unrealistic when u say want to buy landed with your salary and plans to squeeze everyone together?

Think medical job is more stable than banking...

Don't be sour grapes...

hopeful
03-04-14, 12:07
Just considering my options....whether to use the extra savings to pay down mortgage or to invest for faster and bigger profits...

extra income to pay down mortgage = higher certainty of much earlier retirement and to pursue your dream of Africa.

extra income to invest faster/bigger profits = more uncertainty of much earlier retirement.

mummy
03-04-14, 12:13
sorry dont get you.
scenario1

scenario2

which is which?

I calculate if the semid just goes up to 1000psf can retire debt free to jb with 2 million profit which if put in fixed deposit od 3.2 % can give 5k + per mth even without depending on rental income....

mummy
03-04-14, 13:53
Saw the house and good thing is that there is land at the side to build a small pool like what the neighbour did and also close to 2 mrts and NEX and a fair walk to coffeeshops...but nearby temple....agent can try for us for 3 million....

mummy
03-04-14, 14:13
But also worried if I lose my job and need to sell within 4 yrs as SSD woukd be hefty ...hmmm...better not to buy perhaps....

CondoWE
03-04-14, 15:56
And u r not the same and even more unrealistic when u say want to buy landed with your salary and plans to squeeze everyone together?

Don't be sour grapes...

That is good one...:cheers1: !

greglhc
03-04-14, 16:27
Actually the question to me seems to be, should I leverage more since now able to take a bigger mortgage due to higher income?

I think in a rising interest rate environment, might not be too prudent

Feel can wait some more for prices to come down. How about re-evaluate again towards end of 2014?

mummy
03-04-14, 17:20
Actually the question to me seems to be, should I leverage more since now able to take a bigger mortgage due to higher income?

Feel can wait some more for prices to come down. How about re-evaluate again towards end of 2014?

Going to view again with my mum and kids...another buyer interested also so better hurry....

Have 4 viewers for my terrace this sat so hopeful to sell soon if we want to...

proud owner
03-04-14, 18:38
Going to view again with my mum and kids...another buyer interested also so better hurry....

Have 4 viewers for my terrace this sat so hopeful to sell soon if we want to...

do you think you can live at Lor Ong Lye ?

to my knowledge, that stretch is not really accessible ....

Arcachon
03-04-14, 19:00
A

Question : Singapore Banking Interest rate, what do it depend on?

Londonproperty123
03-04-14, 19:50
How high can singapore housing prices go?

Anyway, I am too poor to buy landed. I will just invest money to get passive income.

mummy
03-04-14, 19:55
do you think you can live at Lor Ong Lye ?

to my knowledge, that stretch is not really accessible ....

Just walked 10 to 15min to coffeeshops, clinics, playground, mrt and NEX so not that bad....

mummy
03-04-14, 23:18
Think better be conservative and save my bullets for fire sale next time since prices seem to be coming down and interest rates going up....also mum and I did not like the house facing the side of a temple..Though I was really quite tempted to buy and also had verbal in principal approval from citibank for bank loan...

Now wondering if I should cancel selling my house or just test market for fun....4 viewers coming this sat....

newbie11
04-04-14, 01:03
Is interest rates going up from 1.3% scary? Then what are those years at 5%?

mummy
04-04-14, 01:06
Is interest rates going up from 1.3% scary? Then what are those years at 5%?

When was it at 5%? Not in the last 10 years...

Wolverine23
04-04-14, 08:11
Why don't you buy some commercial units for investment?

Not cost effective to commit to big amounts for own-stay. You are not creating any passive income at all. Best to keep your own house a humble one.

Pynchmail
04-04-14, 08:14
Think better be conservative and save my bullets for fire sale next time since prices seem to be coming down and interest rates going up....also mum and I did not like the house facing the side of a temple..Though I was really quite tempted to buy and also had verbal in principal approval from citibank for bank loan...

Now wondering if I should cancel selling my house or just test market for fun....4 viewers coming this sat....

Assuming you can sell your 1200sf house for $2m, and buy the 3600sf house for $1m top-up, you are getting extra 2400sf of land for $1m....need to think so hard meh? :cheers4:

mummy
04-04-14, 08:43
Assuming you can sell your 1200sf house for $2m, and buy the 3600sf house for $1m top-up, you are getting extra 2400sf of land for $1m....need to think so hard meh? :cheers4:

Still have my terrace mortgage to pay off about 600k and if I buy the JB house 400k so still need to borrow 2 million which is 7.4k to 10k mthly instalment for interest of 1.2% now and 3.5% which sounds like a lot unless my new job is stable and I can work longer hrs and get consistrnt commission to make 26k a mth but I think I can only work 40hrs which gives 16k a mth and prob a few k commission...

SSD would be hefty should I lose my job and have to sell the house and also uncomfortable house and master bedrm facing side of temple....

Ringo33
04-04-14, 09:28

Its important to know that your home is not your investment asset and its very difficult for you to time the market because when you buy low, chances are you current place will also sell low. And more importantly, when the market turn south and interest rate rises, will you still be in position to upgrade? Even if you are financially, will you dare to take the plunge?

mummy
04-04-14, 09:38
Its important to know that your home is not your investment asset and its very difficult for you to time the market because when you buy low, chances are you current place will also sell low. And more importantly, when the market turn south and interest rate rises, will you still be in position to upgrade? Even if you are financially, will you dare to take the plunge?

Yeah, so prob going to stay put but nice to dream about what bigger houses we could stay in...prob just going to view for fun but do not really dare to commit with rising rates and SSD...

Beebot
04-04-14, 11:59
But also worried if I lose my job and need to sell within 4 yrs as SSD woukd be hefty ...hmmm...better not to buy perhaps....

This is a wise consideration. I will only dare to commit if I am a doctor/surgeon/MOE school principal (read: recession proof). Moreover, there is always the worry of a major health issue. Maybe it's me but I can't trust insurance companies nowadays. Read so many cases of how people can't claim their insurance due to some fine prints in the clauses of their insurance contracts.

mummy
04-04-14, 13:06
Have 6 interested parties coming to view my house tomorrow now...a lot of cash rich buyers...

Ringo33
04-04-14, 15:38
Have 6 interested parties coming to view my house tomorrow now...a lot of cash rich buyers...

might be a bunch of low baller like yourself looking for a good deal.

Good luck to your sale anyway.

mummy
04-04-14, 16:15
might be a bunch of low baller like yourself looking for a good deal.

Good luck to your sale anyway.

Don't think I am a low baller when I can afford a 4 million property...

Ringo33
04-04-14, 16:31

Low ballers are opportunists looking for desperate sale. it has nothing to do with how much you can afford.

mummy
04-04-14, 16:44
Low ballers are opportunists looking for desperate sale. it has nothing to do with how much you can afford.

Oh ok then...thx for clarifying...

teddybear
04-04-14, 18:38
Low baller is so much better than being a carrothead like Ringo! :cheers1:

Ringo33
04-04-14, 19:35
Low baller is so much better than being a carrothead like Ringo! :cheers1:

Want to low balll of to.teddybear estate lah. Sure got many disillusion seller from.the wrong side of ccr

kskong2000
04-04-14, 20:57
What do you guy think about Milford villa? 2.5mil and location no bad too..

Learner
04-04-14, 22:07

That looks like a cluster terrace from pics from property guru.

mummy
04-04-14, 23:25

Many cluster landed available, some quite good deal...like it actually cause got pool but hubby does not as cannot rebuild..

Crusader
05-04-14, 11:05
Want to low balll of to.teddybear estate lah. Sure got many disillusion seller from.the wrong side of ccr

You got NO BALLS. ;) Well admin of this forum loves you to entertain all members here. Keep it going and thanks for your hard work :cheers1:

Ringo33
05-04-14, 12:46
You got NO BALLS. ;) Well admin of this forum loves you to entertain all members here. Keep it going and thanks for your hard work :cheers1:

You can hang your balls up on the Christmas tree because they are for show only.

teddybear
05-04-14, 12:47
That is the purpose of his existence isn't it?
So people just need to remember not to believe his craps, and sit back and relax and watch his clown entertainments........................................ :p

Learner
05-04-14, 12:54

How's the viewings? Any good offers?

Ringo33
05-04-14, 12:56
That is the purpose of his existence isn't it?
So people just need to remember not to believe his craps, and sit back and relax and watch his clown entertainments........................................ :p

just because you missed the boat on MM, OCR and bought at the wrong side of CCR, that doesnt give you the right to sprout nonsense in this forum.

If you think my thread of JLD is bullshit, then why not show us some statistic or property price trend of properties around JLD instead of acting like uneducated petulant kid spread lies and talking shit in this forum.

Call yourself CCR? You are worst than the foreign workers whom you are so fond of making fun.

Go get a life in the real world. you are just a wannabe talking big in a virtual world. Dont believe? just take a few seconds break and look yourself in the mirror and then tell us what you see.

mummy
05-04-14, 18:08
How's the viewings? Any good offers?

Had 3 viewings today..the rest postponed...one chinaman turned citizen who did not like the facing and 2 young chinese couples who just came....awaiting their response...

In the meantime, looking at some corner terraces and semi ds....looking for space at side to build a pool...

But just exploring my options...not decided yet whether to sell/buy...

mummy
06-04-14, 00:38
Think I will stick to my Malaysia early retirement plan and not get carried away and get a big chain round my neck by upgrading...
Aim to pay off mortgages and work till RTS is up. Then maybe sell the terrace or rent it out and retire more comfortably....more sensible plan I think....

economist
06-04-14, 01:26
Think I will stick to my Malaysia early retirement plan and not get carried away and get a big chain round my neck by upgrading...
Aim to pay off mortgages and work till RTS is up. Then maybe sell the terrace or rent it out and retire more comfortably....more sensible plan I think....

Why must be Malaysia, another option is to sell the terrace, downgrade to a OCR condo, buy another 2-bedder and get decent rental, and continue enjoy life here... but maybe i missed your previous posts to understand your reasons.

yowetan
06-04-14, 09:13

Could you share with us on your husband background? I realise you seldom mention him?

Doesnt he influence your decision, and probably correct you that you are confuse, lost and bewildered by the situation?

From your postings, you are fickle-minded, inconsistent and I can tell you are seriously confuse.

The group of people in forum are only strangers and you should discern the suggestions accordingly. You should consult with your man. His opinion and feel would be the best bet, unless he is really incompetent and useless which is the reason why you are muted about him. Otherwise, take all suggestion(s) and opinion(s) in the forum with a pinch of salt.

Most of them, including myself has little vested interest in your situation/plight.

I love my Mt Sinai~

teddybear
06-04-14, 09:22
Ringo,
see below link:
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=471328&postcount=9

I am not wrong about what I said about you:

While Ringo has not harassed us, Ringo had and continue to make many personal character attack statements and insults and derogatory statements against many forumers here.
I believe you must be one of them subjected to his such ruse and tactics.
Don't fall for his trick! Use the same tactic back on him! This is not considered "harassment" and you will not be censored or banned from here! :cheers1:

In just your below 1 post, you make many personal character attack, insults, and derogatory statements about me............!!! :tsk-tsk:
Let me point out 1 by 1:

1) just because you missed the boat on MM, OCR and bought at the wrong side of CCR
You can provide evidence to your assertion? Please do not tell lies as though they are facts!

2) sprout nonsense in this forum.
By making the below post, it is obvious who is sprouting nonsense in this forum.

3) acting like uneducated petulant kid
Wow wow! For all you know, I am much more educated than you, I am old already, still call me "kid"? Please stop all your lies!

4) spread lies and talking shit in this forum.
Again, slandering me that I spread lies and talking shit!

5) You are worst than the foreign workers whom you are so fond of making fun.
Did I make fun of foreign workers? Wow! Please do not put words into my mouth.
I remember you are the one talking about something bad about the Blanga isn't it?

just because you missed the boat on MM, OCR and bought at the wrong side of CCR, that doesnt give you the right to sprout nonsense in this forum.

If you think my thread of JLD is bullshit, then why not show us some statistic or property price trend of properties around JLD instead of acting like uneducated petulant kid spread lies and talking shit in this forum.

Call yourself CCR? You are worst than the foreign workers whom you are so fond of making fun.

Go get a life in the real world. you are just a wannabe talking big in a virtual world. Dont believe? just take a few seconds break and look yourself in the mirror and then tell us what you see.

mummy
06-04-14, 12:10
Yowetan is beginning to behave a little like Ringo now....

mummy
06-04-14, 12:20
Why must be Malaysia, another option is to sell the terrace, downgrade to a OCR condo, buy another 2-bedder and get decent rental, and continue enjoy life here... but maybe i missed your previous posts to understand your reasons.

Can consider yr suggestion just that depending on rental is unstable for retirement income compared to fixed deposit but their rates may also go down....

Just exploring options....

mummy
06-04-14, 12:25
BtW Yowetan, u also seemed fickle minded, confused and inconsistent when u pm me and said u r interested in my terrace but knowing how unrealistic u r, I did not take u seriously so quoted u a sky high price though u said u can afford 2.3 million which I seriously doubt...ha ha...

mummy
06-04-14, 13:15
Viewed some semi d and corner terrace yesterday and will be viewing a few more today. All seem to be asking for around 3.5million but many negotiable....some are selling to avoid paying ABSD for new purchases so seem quite desperate to sell....hubby says if we really decide to upgrade better sell first before buying and I agree so that we will not be desperate to sell with time frame and likely prices going lower.

Only thing is must be sure can hold for at least 4 years to avoid SSD and unsure if market may fall by then....

Anyway, just viewing for fun just like how many of us have hobby of viewing condo showflats....

Learner
06-04-14, 16:17
Viewed some semi d and corner terrace yesterday and will be viewing a few more today. All seem to be asking for around 3.5million but many negotiable....some are selling to avoid paying ABSD for new purchases so seem quite desperate to sell....hubby says if we really decide to upgrade better sell first before buying and I agree so that we will not be desperate to sell with time frame and likely prices going lower.

Only thing is must be sure can hold for at least 4 years to avoid SSD and unsure if market may fall by then....

Anyway, just viewing for fun just like how many of us have hobby of viewing condo showflats....

Yes good to view more. As every house is different and considering the price, it is good to take your time to find one you like best.

Moreover buyer's market now ;)

mummy
08-04-14, 14:16
Had an offer of 1.6 million for my house and agent say valuation now dropped to 1.85million (dunno true or not) and she wants to negotiate for me....I told her we prob will not sell then if market is really falling, not in a rush to sell and believe in will go up in the longterm...

economist
08-04-14, 14:24
Had an offer of 1.6 million for my house and agent say valuation now dropped to 1.85million (dunno true or not) and she wants to negotiate for me....I told her we prob will not sell then if market is really falling, not in a rush to sell and believe in will go up in the longterm...

You should ask her where she got such valuation number, her incentive is to just get the transaction done, the interest is never aligned.

Ringo33
08-04-14, 14:45
Ringo,
see below link:

In just your below 1 post, you make many personal character attack, insults, and derogatory statements about me............!!! :tsk-tsk:
Let me point out 1 by 1:

1) just because you missed the boat on MM, OCR and bought at the wrong side of CCR
You can provide evidence to your assertion? Please do not tell lies as though they are facts!

By making the below post, it is obvious who is sprouting nonsense in this forum.

Wow wow! For all you know, I am much more educated than you, I am old already, still call me "kid"? Please stop all your lies!

I remember you are the one talking about something bad about the Blanga isn't it?

I have no idea what you are talking, appreciate if you can stop harassing me.

If you wish to talk about air pollution, foreign workers peeing at teban, workers dormitory, fengshui, earthquake in jurong etc, by all means set up a thread to do so instead of polluting your childish post everywhere in this forum.

And btw, I have started a thread on your favorite subject (AIR POLLUTION) and I hope you will use that to share you knowledge on pollution instead of hijacking my thread for your own amusement.
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=21010&page=2

Again, please stop harassing me.

teddybear
08-04-14, 15:28
You are the one who made many personal character attack, insults, and derogatory statements about me as can be seen in your post and now you say I harassing you? This is like the robber calling the victim "robber" and act as the innocent victim! :doh: :tsk-tsk:

I have no idea what you are talking, appreciate if you can stop harassing me.

If you wish to talk about air pollution, foreign workers peeing at teban, workers dormitory, fengshui, earthquake in jurong etc, by all means set up a thread to do so instead of polluting your childish post everywhere in this forum.

And btw, I have started a thread on your favorite subject (AIR POLLUTION) and I hope you will use that to share you knowledge on pollution instead of hijacking my thread for your own amusement.
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=21010&page=2

Again, please stop harassing me.

Ringo,
see below link:

Let me point out 1 by 1:

Learner
08-04-14, 19:08

Agreed with economist that the agent may be just trying to make a sale. 1.6m seems low if you look at transactions in the area or even landed in other areas further.

mummy
08-04-14, 19:36
Yeah, anyway no hurry to sell now that I have signed on a new job that pays much better
..may even afford to retire in my terrace in Sg now....

Learner
08-04-14, 19:41
Yeah, anyway no hurry to sell now that I have signed on a new job that pays much better
..may even afford to retire in my terrace in Sg now....

Great! Cheers. I think you keep quiet and the other party will offer higher ;)

Ringo33
08-04-14, 19:46
It's really hard to put a price on landed property unless you are selling a run down landed property for rebuilding purpose. If someone like it they will make you a good offer.

Having said that I think potential buyer today are mostly low baller hoping to hit a jack pot.

I would to the same if I am looking for one myself.

mummy
13-04-14, 13:32
Great! Cheers. I think you keep quiet and the other party will offer higher ;)

Hey u r right! Now they want to give me a cheque for 1.8 million! Cause agents claimed they did bank valuation and it was 1.8 million....now dunno whether to accept or not...

One Braddel Heights terrace selling for 2.3 million neg. Land 1700sq ft and built up 2500sq ft. Wanna view....it is a more prestigious estate....last time visited my classmate whose father head of medical board and they lived in a bungalow with big land there....

One run down terrace was just sold along my street and worried when the caveat comes out sure very low and drag down my valuation...

mummy
13-04-14, 19:04
Sigh hubby just rejected the cheque for 1% of 1.8mil....feel a bit of a pity....

Learner
13-04-14, 19:08
Hey u r right! Now they want to give me a cheque for 1.8 million! Cause agents claimed they did bank valuation and it was 1.8 million....now dunno whether to accept or not...

One Braddel Heights terrace selling for 2.3 million neg. Land 1700sq ft and built up 2500sq ft. Wanna view....it is a more prestigious estate....last time visited my classmate whose father head of medical board and they lived in a bungalow with big land there....

One run down terrace was just sold along my street and worried when the caveat comes out sure very low and drag down my valuation...

Hehe.... If you are not in hurry, you silence longer maybe the agent make another valuation mistake and offer you higher ;)

Personally I think your area not bad - with mrt coming in a number of years and also amenities improving with ntuc coming.

You may want to assess how is your landed condition vs the run down terrace. If yours better then you can still command premium vs that old one. After all the newer ones at oasis still around 1800+ psf so that also affect your valuation I suppose.

My 2:2cents: :)

Adva181
13-04-14, 19:11

Ya Braddell heights is good.
Peaceful wide road height restricted so not messy n potential for plot ratio adjustment.
2.3m is reasonable.

mummy
14-04-14, 18:45
Ya Braddell heights is good.
Peaceful wide road height restricted so not messy n potential for plot ratio adjustment.
2.3m is reasonable.

Agent says need renovation...yet to see the Braddell Heights terrace....but if upgrading, hope to get a semi d with space for a pool ...

Just got my second offer 1.75 then 1.8 mil and now agent negotiating with them...an Indian couple in late 50s prob...they just saw and made an offer within 10min of viewing! Hmmm, seems like my entry level landed is quite hot...heard from another agent that there r talks to remove ABSD and SSD soon and that prices will not fall too much these few yrs cause Sg 50th birthday next year and election yr 2016....

Ringo33
14-04-14, 19:36
Agent says need renovation...yet to see the Braddell Heights terrace....but if upgrading, hope to get a semi d with space for a pool ...

Just got my second offer 1.75 then 1.8 mil and now agent negotiating with them...an Indian couple in late 50s prob...they just saw and made an offer within 10min of viewing! Hmmm, seems like my entry level landed is quite hot...heard from another agent that there r talks to remove ABSD and SSD soon and that prices will not fall too much these few yrs cause Sg 50th birthday next year and election yr 2016....

Only snake oil agent will speculate things like removing ABSD or SSD because nobody except the government knows what they are going to do. Plus such cooling measures are introduces to property investors from making easy money on property. Even if they are going to remove ABSD, they will most likely to do it for foreigners and unfortunately foreigners cant buy landed property.

If you asked me, I would say dont waste time moving from terrace to terrace because it doesnt really sound like an upgrade to me. After paying stamp duties, renovation, rework etc, then you realize that you are back to square one and you will again be looking at upgrading few years down the road.

dtrax
14-04-14, 21:01
not just this agent.. this kinda viral rumours are spreading everywhere.. a property seminar today the guru forecast Q3 might withdraw the CM

Ringo33
14-04-14, 21:47
not just this agent.. this kinda viral rumours are spreading everywhere.. a property seminar today the guru forecast Q3 might withdraw the CM

time must be really bad.

princess_morbucks
14-04-14, 21:53
The minister has already said "Too early to start relaxing property cooling measures".

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/too-early-start-relaxing-property-cooling-measures-says-tharman

Rosy
15-04-14, 00:59
Possible to expect a reduction of absd.

Personally would like to see staggering capital gain to replace ssd.

Blue
16-04-14, 13:06
Hi Threadstarter,

I would advise that you sell your current entry level landed and upgrade to the Semi D.

Reason being, your current landed is relatively new (I believe) to command $1500psf at this moment. 20 years down the road later, it becomes old house, and the main selling point is no longer the building but the land. So unless land price has gone up a lot by then, you are better off selling it now when building is still new and worth more. In other words, you may be in a risk of price heading south rather than north when building becomes older.

As for the Semi D you are contemplating, I believe it is an old house to command such low price. You are basically buying the land at less than $1000psf. As far as I know, the current avg land price is $1000 to $1200psf in OCR. And once you bought this Semi D, you can be sure the price will only head north than south in the near future.

insigina
16-04-14, 14:36
Possible to expect a reduction of absd.

Personally would like to see staggering capital gain to replace ssd.

Maybe consider reducing/eliminating ABSD if the buyer did not purchase a property the last 3 to 5 years.

mummy
16-04-14, 15:01
Hi Threadstarter,

I would advise that you sell your current entry level landed and upgrade to the Semi D.

Reason being, your current landed is relatively new (I believe) to command $1500psf at this moment. 20 years down the road later, it becomes old house, and the main selling point is no longer the building but the land. So unless land price has gone up a lot by then, you are better off selling it now when building is still new and worth more. In other words, you may be in a risk of price heading south rather than north when building becomes older.

As for the Semi D you are contemplating, I believe it is an old house to command such low price. You are basically buying the land at less than $1000psf. As far as I know, the current avg land price is $1000 to $1200psf in OCR. And once you bought this Semi D, you can be sure the price will only head north than south in the near future.

Thanks for yr advice....the semi d I mentioned faces a temple so tho good value, I will not buy it cause am a Christian...

But eyeing a corner terrace now at Poh Huat area with land 2832 and 2500 built up with a big garden to build pool, asking for 2.8 mil....rejected 2.5 mil....going to view with mum and family tomorrow....saw it from outside just now and quite like it...

Asking price also less than 1000psf but it has 850years lease left, not freehold.....

Do you think it is a good buy?

DC33_2008
16-04-14, 15:31
Why moving further away from city as compared to your current place? Have you consider sennett estate area? The traffic at upper serangoon road is going to get worst when sengkang is fully developed. :)
Thanks for yr advice....the semi d I mentioned faces a temple so tho good value, I will not buy it cause am a Christian...

But eyeing a corner terrace now at Poh Huat area with land 2832 and 2500 built up with a big garden to build pool, asking for 2.8 mil....rejected 2.5 mil....going to view with mum and family tomorrow....saw it from outside just now and quite like it...

Asking price also less than 1000psf but it has 850years lease left, not freehold.....

Blue
16-04-14, 15:43

Hi, I would still think it is good buy as long as below $1000psf. 850 years lease is very long. It is as good as freehold. Won't bother me as a buyer. There are people who bought 99 yrs landed in Sembawang at prices only slightly lower than FH/999yrs. Those are the ones who will be stucked when they try to sell 20 yrs later.

It seems like ur criteria is landed with capacity to build pool. You need to know where the sewage line is as pool cannot be built on top of sewage line. To re-route the sewage line is big project and cost $$$. You can still build one illegally without changing sewage line but u have to reinstate it back before you sell.

I was looking at this house (approx. 3000sqft land) along Amber Rd (asking close to $5M) several months back. It is relatively new (5 yrs old) and may hv capacity to build a pool on the side. But will be out of your budget unless u can stretch more.

By the way, dun buy property near temple bec of bad fengshui. That explains the lower price too. Next time anything happen to the family, you will blame it on the bad fengshui.

mummy
16-04-14, 17:15
Did not know about the sewage line thingy...thx for info Blue...

mummy
16-04-14, 17:16
Why moving further away from city as compared to your current place? Have you consider sennett estate area? The traffic at upper serangoon road is going to get worst when sengkang is fully developed. :)

Still looking around....not confirmed yet....will consider yr point....thx...

DC33_2008
16-04-14, 17:54
There was a corner terrace with quite a sizeable garden on sale 5 months ago. It is facing the large field next to cedar girl school. Not sure if it has been sold. :D
Still looking around....not confirmed yet....will consider yr point....thx...

astroboy8681
16-04-14, 17:58

just a word of advice : when you are house hunting and spotted a decent buy try not to post on public forum and ask for opinions... ask around families, relatives and friends...

hidden dragons / crouching tigers may just snoop the deal from under your nose...

if you wish to sell thou, just do it freely :)

Arcachon
16-04-14, 18:21
just a word of advice : when you are house hunting and spotted a decent buy try not to post on public forum and ask for opinions... ask around families, relatives and friends...

hidden dragons / crouching tigers may just snoop the deal from under your nose...

if you wish to sell thou, just do it freely :)

Good advise,

For Sale

5 Room HDB at Balam Road
2 Bedroom at Southbank
3 Bedroom PH at Terrasse.

mummy
16-04-14, 20:09
Seems to be the start of a downcycle....wondering if I should sell, stay in JB , for a while and buy when it comes furthur down....but a bit risky....cause what if it rises instead.....also still waiting for state consent...

Wolverine23
16-04-14, 21:14
Threadstarter seems really confused... and willing to move house frequently?

Very hardworking!

mummy
16-04-14, 21:36
Threadstarter seems really confused... and willing to move house frequently?

Very hardworking!

Ha ha....just voicing out my thoughts, so it seems confusing to u.....

Wolverine23
16-04-14, 22:45
not trying to be rude. no hard feelings...

Good thing is that your family is very united and willing to go through the hassle of shifting houses regularly... :)

For me, the easiest solution is to stay put in one's home and keep buying investment properties.

It makes more financial / investment sense. Also, your home is usually the place which brings you happiness / wealth due to its good feng shui.

Cheers!!!

Ha ha....just voicing out my thoughts, so it seems confusing to u.....

mummy
16-04-14, 23:17
not trying to be rude. no hard feelings...

Good thing is that your family is very united and willing to go through the hassle of shifting houses regularly... :)

For me, the easiest solution is to stay put in one's home and keep buying investment properties.

It makes more financial / investment sense. Also, your home is usually the place which brings you happiness / wealth due to its good feng shui.

Cheers!!!

Yes, staying put is a likely option.....never checked my house fengshui but so far quite happy and lucky staying there....

Probably most prudent not to move since buying now is like buying at the start of a down cycle...

Also should save more money for my kids university....

Just testing the market and exploring my options....will think very hard before making any major decisions...

Wolverine23
17-04-14, 07:08
no need to check feng shui. As long as you are happy n lucky, that's good feng shui.

Yes, staying put is a likely option.....never checked my house fengshui but so far quite happy and lucky staying there....

Probably most prudent not to move since buying now is like buying at the start of a down cycle...

Just testing the market and exploring my options....will think very hard before making any major decisions...

DC33_2008
17-04-14, 08:49
It is better to use the expense incurred in the moving house, legal fees, stamp fee, etc., to help to renovate the existing home.

Ringo33
17-04-14, 10:09

If you havent even done that, you should drop the idea of up sizing your debt and living cost.

$1m opportunity cost = $3000 per month
$3m = $9000 per month or $300 per day

mummy
17-04-14, 11:02
I asked my banker to do a rough valuation of the Poh Huat corner terrace that I am going to view today and she said 3.4mil! Owner's valuation was 3mil...just wondering if I manage to buy at 2.6mil and do some reno and build a pool, could I profit much 4 years later?

mummy
17-04-14, 11:05
If you havent even done that, you should drop the idea of up sizing your debt and living cost.

$1m opportunity cost = $3000 per month
$3m = $9000 per month or $300 per day

I do have some savings plan for their uni but prob only enough for local education....problem is if they need to study abroad....actually the JB house was bought initially as investment for their uni too....

Blue
17-04-14, 12:02
I asked my banker to do a rough valuation of the Poh Huat corner terrace that I am going to view today and she said 3.4mil! Owner's valuation was 3mil...just wondering if I manage to buy at 2.6mil and do some reno and build a pool, could I profit much 4 years later?

Reno and pool can easily set you back another $200K. Maintenance of pool is no joke too. Easily $200 per mth or you can buy equipment and tools to DIY. Certainly these enhance the resale value of your house when you sell. I find a lot of landed with pools ended up draining off the water as it is seldom used and save the hassle of maintenance.

I think the key issue is your entry level landed. Since the land is small, you probably wanna sell it now or sooner when the building age is still young.

As for moving to JB, I don't think I need to tell you the social security level is over there. There is a reason why property price remains low there for years. Those who invested in Iskandar is feeling the pinch too. Treat it as a vacation house maybe.

mummy
17-04-14, 17:28
Saw the house. Find the interior a bit small and uncomfortable with their altar room as they have an unheard of religion. Think I will pass...

Arcachon
17-04-14, 18:30
Matthew 8:26
He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

Matthew 7:7
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

seletar
24-04-14, 11:57
After 4 months, I finally got all the approvals from URA to proceed with the reconstruction of my house. Have just finalized with the contractor and work will begin in 2 weeks and will take 7 months to complete. The reconstruction will increase my build in area by over 60% and make it more luxurious, my home will be a lot more comfortable after this.

Ringo33
24-04-14, 20:30
After 4 months, I finally got all the approvals from URA to proceed with the reconstruction of my house. Have just finalized with the contractor and work will begin in 2 weeks and will take 7 months to complete. The reconstruction will increase my build in area by over 60% and make it more luxurious, my home will be a lot more comfortable after this.

build in area doesnt make a landed property luxurious, it is the open space garden that make living in landed special

creative_vitamin
25-04-14, 09:41
build in area doesnt make a landed property luxurious, it is the open space garden that make living in landed special

live in hdb also can have very big garden , high ground with big field unblock = luxuruy?

Werther
25-04-14, 11:21

Wow, that's great. Congrats,

mummy
25-04-14, 14:20

Congrats! That is one good thing about landed...the ability to rebuild to one's liking...

astroboy8681
25-04-14, 14:59

my friend why are you sho sho sour?:beats-me-man:

stl67
25-04-14, 20:29
my friend why are you sho sho sour?:beats-me-man:

Honestly, I feel the same... we should be happy for selectar...but instead...nvr mind

polarinda
28-04-14, 12:29
BtW Yowetan, u also seemed fickle minded, confused and inconsistent when u pm me and said u r interested in my terrace but knowing how unrealistic u r, I did not take u seriously so quoted u a sky high price though u said u can afford 2.3 million which I seriously doubt...ha ha...
that guy thought Ringgit la. Ignore him.

polarinda
28-04-14, 12:30
his house not your house.

polarinda
28-04-14, 12:35
Reno and pool can easily set you back another $200K. Maintenance of pool is no joke too. Easily $200 per mth or you can buy equipment and tools to DIY. Certainly these enhance the resale value of your house when you sell. I find a lot of landed with pools ended up draining off the water as it is seldom used and save the hassle of maintenance.

I think the key issue is your entry level landed. Since the land is small, you probably wanna sell it now or sooner when the building age is still young.

As for moving to JB, I don't think I need to tell you the social security level is over there. There is a reason why property price remains low there for years. Those who invested in Iskandar is feeling the pinch too. Treat it as a vacation house maybe.
u live in ISKANDAR BEFORE? or u just like to talk?

polarinda
28-04-14, 12:42
malaysia is the way to go.
spore landed are all overpriced for that puny piece of land.

mummy
28-04-14, 12:53
malaysia is the way to go.
spore landed are all overpriced for that puny piece of land.

Yes, just got my State consent! So happy!!! My Austin Height semid is like 10x cheaper than my Sg terrace...Sg property does seem overpriced...

teddybear
28-04-14, 12:58
Cannot compare like that lah....
Otherwise might as well go Africa, cheaper by 100x? :p

Yes, just got my State consent! So happy!!! My Austin Height semid is like 10x cheaper than my Sg terrace...Sg property does seem overpriced...

polarinda
28-04-14, 13:04
Many good deals in Ledang Heights also.
20sqft land enough for u? for 2-3 mil

polarinda
28-04-14, 13:06
btw, your state consent took how long? My last 3 took 2-3 months.

polarinda
28-04-14, 13:07
Cannot compare like that lah....
Otherwise might as well go Africa, cheaper by 100x? :p
you can drive to Africa?

mummy
28-04-14, 13:09
Many good deals in Ledang Heights also.
20sqft land enough for u? for 2-3 mil

Looked at Ledang Heights before but no budget leh...nearly bought one around 1 mil rm but owner decided not to sell in the end...after that prices kept going up and up...

Even now, just read that new Tebrau semid are selling for 1.7mil rm now...glad I bought mine already...

mummy
28-04-14, 13:12
btw, your state consent took how long? My last 3 took 2-3 months.

Wow, u bought so many in Iskandar? Mine took 9 months because owner delay in paying bills and difficulty getting the bumirelease letter...

Where r u vested in Iskandar? R u Singaporean or Malaysian? Do u live there and commute to Sg for work?

polarinda
28-04-14, 13:25
Wow, u bought so many in Iskandar? Mine took 9 months because owner delay in paying bills and difficulty getting the bumirelease letter...

Where r u vested in Iskandar? R u Singaporean or Malaysian? Do u live there and commute to Sg for work?

east ledang, ledang heights, horizon hills

drive to work in spore everyday..

been working all right for me. ;)

Ringo33
28-04-14, 13:41

Traffic jam from 2nd link to Singapore is a nightmare at the moment. I think jam will start at around 7am to 9.30am, easily will take you 60mins to clear immigrate.

What time do you have to leave home to get to Singapore?

Ringo33
28-04-14, 13:54
his house not your house.

multistory landed property with big build in area and no land cannot be classify as luxurious, it only give you a little more luxury of space and most of time, owner will use them to store junks. This is the same as HDB dweller renovating their HDB to look like condo or hotel.

mummy
28-04-14, 14:03

Wow all the hot growth areas...u must be sitting on good paper profits now....

Ringo33
28-04-14, 14:05

need to ask what is he doing with all these properties in Malaysia?

Wonder hows the rental market in Malaysia at the moment?

polarinda
28-04-14, 14:34
Traffic jam from 2nd link to Singapore is a nightmare at the moment. I think jam will start at around 7am to 9.30am, easily will take you 60mins to clear immigrate.

What time do you have to leave home to get to Singapore?
i leave at 1030, return by 530

polarinda
28-04-14, 14:35
ok la..rented 2 out, now live in east ledang.

polarinda
28-04-14, 14:37
need to ask what is he doing with all these properties in Malaysia?

Wonder hows the rental market in Malaysia at the moment?depends on when u buy. Now my returns on rental more than enuff to cover my loans..so I practically stay for "free".

Ringo33
28-04-14, 15:46
depends on when u buy. Now my returns on rental more than enuff to cover my loans..so I practically stay for "free".

Really keen to know what sort of rental and tenants can you get for landed in those area.

Landed property cost is not just about paying mortgage but the rework and reno cost in between tenant.

polarinda
28-04-14, 15:51
Really keen to know what sort of rental and tenants can you get for landed in those area.

Landed property cost is not just about paying mortgage but the rework and reno cost in between tenant.

mortgage 7-8k, rental 10-11 for both semi ds. Simple reno and furnished.

tenants both expats working in Nusajaya and children studying in nusajaya

mummy
01-05-14, 16:44
mortgage 7-8k, rental 10-11 for both semi ds. Simple reno and furnished.

tenants both expats working in Nusajaya and children studying in nusajaya

Congrats on picking the right time and place to buy....the expats love Ledang Heights and East Ledang...

Blue
06-05-14, 16:08
i leave at 1030, return by 530

So u only work 4-5 hours in Singapore daily?:D

Not only your work hours are short, u still got time to visit this forum and make contributions during work hours. :2cents:

polarinda
06-05-14, 19:44
So u only work 4-5 hours in Singapore daily?:D

Not only your work hours are short, u still got time to visit this forum and make contributions during work hours. :2cents:
3 days 530, 2 days 10pm.
saturday by 3pm will be back

polarinda
30-05-14, 19:03

Don't be sour grapes...maybe hes a bank teller.

fiat500
01-06-14, 17:21
Congrats on picking the right time and place to buy....the expats love Ledang Heights and East Ledang...

All these not worth much lah even though price has gone up n nobody will buy from u unless u sell cheap ! Abundance of land in JB, u will hv a hard time selling it!

polarinda
02-06-14, 12:17
All these not worth much lah even though price has gone up n nobody will buy from u unless u sell cheap ! Abundance of land in JB, u will hv a hard time selling it!

who is selling? i already paid full for 2 of the semiDs there u nut! Now collecting rental minus expenses. Only clowns like u would think of paying the banks in malaysia at 4+%
dunno dun tok so much la.
troll

fiat500
02-06-14, 13:51
who is selling? i already paid full for 2 of the semiDs there u nut! Now collecting rental minus expenses. Only clowns like u would think of paying the banks in malaysia at 4+%
dunno dun tok so much la.
troll

Don't bullshit here lah....
Crap......
Bodoh :tongue3:
Wakakakaka......kakakaka

polarinda
02-06-14, 15:34
Don't bullshit here lah....
Crap......
Bodoh :tongue3:
Wakakakaka......kakakaka

i thought u say let others live the way they want? u stay in HDB doesn't mean others cannot have a bigger space/house. Dun be a sour grape la troll.

have u paid this month's HDB utilities yet? better go pay instead of trolling here.

BS? you want to see the tenancy agreements? tok only, bet u haven't rented a house out yet ever in your pathetic life.

fiat500
02-06-14, 17:17
i thought u say let others live the way they want? u stay in HDB doesn't mean others cannot have a bigger space/house. Dun be a sour grape la troll.

have u paid this month's HDB utilities yet? better go pay instead of trolling here.

BS? you want to see the tenancy agreements? tok only, bet u haven't rented a house out yet ever in your pathetic life.
Wakakakakakaka........
I just luv to tease u!
wakakakaka...mama :jump-for-joy::jump-for-joy:

minority
05-06-14, 08:02
live in JB wait get Rob, killed or XXX. HDB way safer!

DC33_2008
07-06-14, 16:56
FEO invites clients to 3 days of landed property presentation with dinner on first night.:D

djam7773
18-06-14, 18:26
Hi Mummy,

Care to share how what's your take on 99 yr leasehold vs freehold landed ? R u looking at leasehold ones?

I m thinking of staying with my bro in law ( his family ) n my in laws . Looking at leaseholds cos more affordable.

Any seniors who stay in landed , any advise on maintenance cost , SP bills , etc.

Thanks

stl67
18-06-14, 23:08
Hi Mummy,

Care to share how what's your take on 99 yr leasehold vs freehold landed ? R u looking at leasehold ones?

I m thinking of staying with my bro in law ( his family ) n my in laws . Looking at leaseholds cos more affordable.

Any seniors who stay in landed , any advise on maintenance cost , SP bills , etc.

Thanks
If possible try to avoid. Everyone characters is different. Quarrel can be quite stressful. My relatives are one eg.

mummy
19-06-14, 00:07
Hi Mummy,

Thanks

Depends on what you want....if just a place to stay and you really like it and think all of you can live happily together, I suppose can consider but value will not hold as well as freehold landed. My brothers in law both also buy freehold or 999 and personally I would also go for freehold or at least 999yyears as value more likely to go up over time compared to leasehold...

My SP bill about 180 per month. Recently needed to spend 250 on clearing oil choked drains which most families will get every 8 to 10 years according to the plumber. Otherwise, only spend on soil to upkeep my mini backyard garden with fruitful papaya trees...

mummy
19-06-14, 09:01
Hi Mummy,

Thanks

Btw, not looking to sell and upgrade anymore as left the potentially high paying but high risk of litigation aesthetics job. Happy in my freehold humble terrace house for now and waiting for my Smart Suites to TOP to rent out....my first rental property....hope all goes well...asked an agent and he said as within 2min to mrt should be easy to rent....being in rcr and between cbd and paya lebar regional centre....I hope can give me a steady source of rental passive income...

Ringo33
19-06-14, 18:36
Btw, not looking to sell and upgrade anymore as left the potentially high paying but high risk of litigation aesthetics job. Happy in my freehold humble terrace house for now and waiting for my Smart Suites to TOP to rent out....my first rental property....hope all goes well...asked an agent and he said as within 2min to mrt should be easy to rent....being in rcr and between cbd and paya lebar regional centre....I hope can give me a steady source of rental passive income...

Thats a wise decision. When you start to taste whats its like to live for free, then you will know why its not worth paying for mortgage.

jwong71
20-06-14, 00:41
Depends on what you want....if just a place to stay and you really like it and think all of you can live happily together, I suppose can consider but value will not hold as well as freehold landed. My brothers in law both also buy freehold or 999 and personally I would also go for freehold or at least 999yyears as value more likely to go up over time compared to leasehold...

My SP bill about 180 per month. Recently needed to spend 250 on clearing oil choked drains which most families will get every 8 to 10 years according to the plumber. Otherwise, only spend on soil to upkeep my mini backyard garden with fruitful papaya trees...

$180 so cheap..???

did you control the usage, or only few pple staying

mummy
20-06-14, 22:13
$180 so cheap..???

did you control the usage, or only few pple staying

We control the usage...do not switch on aircon whole day...only at night when sleeping or in living room when particularly hot...only 2 adults and 2 young kids who sleep with us and a maid...so only need most nights to switch on one aircon...