PDA

View Full Version : You’ll be surprised at what banana peels can be used for

princess_morbucks
01-04-14, 13:16
http://mynicehome.sg/2014/04/01/going-bananas/

Bananas are one of my favourite fruit. Full of sunny yellow goodness, I try to eat at least one a day. Health benefits aside, did you know that bananas can also form part of your house cleaning arsenal? Are you raising your eyebrows in doubt? Read on to find out more. :)
Furniture Polish
The next time you leave a banana to ripen for a tad too long, don’t throw it out! Smear some banana bits or the peel on dull-looking wooden furniture and rub them in gently. Wipe off with a slightly damp cloth and see the shine come back! Banana peels are mildly abrasive, and are perfect for restoring your wooden furniture, as they are not as harsh as commercial polishes. To get your wooden furniture looking perfect, you can try these tips to remove scratches before using the banana polish.

Leather Wax
Banana peels are also excellent in helping dull and scuffed leather look new again. Bananas are high in potassium, and potassium is the main ingredient used in shoe polish! Furthermore, the natural oils in the peels also help to brighten and shine leather. So the next time your leather sofa gets scratched, don’t fret! Have a banana and buff away using the peel :) Check out the before and after pictures of my shoes!

DVD Scratch Remover
This tip is especially useful for DVD movie fans. If you have a scratched disc, gently buff over it with a cut banana, then use the peel and rub in a circular motion. After that, spray some glass cleaner solution on the DVD and wipe off with a microfibre cloth. The disc will look brand new again! Besides DVDs, this method can also be applied on silverware that need some shine restored.

Pest control
This sounds a bit silly, but don’t worry, I have not gone bananas. Many home owners worry about using banana peels as a plant fertiliser as they are concerned about attracting pests. However, they are actually effective deterrents of aphids, those white, furry pests that like to cling on to the leaves of plants. Cut up banana peels into small pieces and bury them in the soil. This will help prevent aphids from appearing. Additionally, the potassium from the peels is also good for the plant!
Removing splinters
This nifty trick is a life-saver for those who are doing home renovations. With all the woodwork and carpentry going on, you might just get pricked by a tiny sliver of wood. It can be so frustrating (and painful?) to try to remove the splinter with a pair of tweezers. You could try this tip if you’re really desperate… Enter the mighty banana peel! Cut a one-inch square piece of peel and stick it over the affected area with a piece of surgical tape. As the banana peel ripens, it produces enzymes that help draw out the splinter, so leave it overnight and you will find that it is easier to remove. But if you are lucky, the splinter might just be stuck to the banana peel! Amazing, right?

Sometimes, solutions to everyday problems can be easily solved using the things around us. All we need to do is to peel open our eyes (and our minds) to the possibilities! I used to eat bananas and just throw the skin away. But after finding out about its uses, I’ve become more mindful about reducing waste and finding out how else I can use things which are often seen as trash. It is amazing to realise what interesting tips I have learnt so far!
Do you have other ways of using or re-using everyday items or bananas? We would like to hear from you! Tell us about it on our MyNiceHome Facebook Page! :)

By Samantha Koh
April 1, 2014

Simi
01-04-14, 13:28
Hi Princess

Thank you for your sharing

very useful

onglai
01-04-14, 15:59
http://mynicehome.sg/2014/04/01/going-bananas/

By Samantha Koh
April 1, 2014

zhun bo? later i try leow... pple luff at me kena april fool's joke.

:D:D:D

Simi
01-04-14, 17:15
zhun bo? later i try leow... pple luff at me kena april fool's joke.

:D:D:D

Ong Lai san

also heard can ease itchiness when apply over the mosquito bites

go and try :D