PDA

View Full Version : Geylang, not Little India, a ‘potential powder keg’

siewsphone
26-03-14, 12:31
http://www.todayonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/photo_gallery_image_lightbox/public/18452177.JPG

SINGAPORE — While concerns about public order have been focused on Little India after it saw Singapore’s first riot in more than four decades last year, the police are more worried about Geylang because “all the indicators for potential trouble are there”, Commissioner of Police Ng Joo Hee told the Committee of Inquiry yesterday.

He brought this up while explaining that the riot on Dec 8 came as a surprise to the authorities, unlike the situation in Geylang, to which they have been paying close attention.

“If Singaporeans are irked by the littering, noise and jaywalking in Little India, they will certainly and quickly sense that there exists a hint of ‘lawlessness’ within the streets of Geylang,” said Commissioner Ng.

“Geylang presents a complex and complicated social ecosystem, tinged with a definite criminal undertone. This is in stark contrast to Little India, untidy though it may be.”

Police estimates show that about 100,000 people who are non-residents visit Little India on a typical weekend, creating “significant congestion” and social nuisances.

However, Commissioner Ng called Geylang a “hot spot” for crimes such as illegal gambling and drug dealing, and where “unsavoury characters of all persuasion are fond of congregating”. Most worryingly, there is overt hostility and antagonism towards police presence there, he added.

He related how crowds of hooligans have obstructed officers from carrying out their duties. An officer was beaten up recently while trying to detain a gambling stall operator. On another occasion, a police car was vandalised and its windscreen smashed.

Said Commissioner Ng: “Unlike Little India, all the indicators for potential trouble are there in Geylang.” Crime rates have improved, but still remain worryingly high, he said, despite the police deploying disproportionately large amounts of resources there.

Last year, Police Tactical Troops were sent to Geylang for anti-crime patrols 41 times, compared with 16 times in Little India.

“By describing in some detail our policing effort in Geylang, I want to make a simple but significant point. There is nowhere else in Singapore which is policed more intensely as the 20-odd lorongs on either side of Geylang Road,” said Commissioner Ng. “We do this because there are clear indicators — intelligence, if you like — that the Geylang area, in contrast to Little India, is a potential powder keg.”

siewsphone
26-03-14, 12:33
This is a good time for GOV to clean up Geylang :cheers5:

babyt
26-03-14, 13:09
Yup. I hope something big happen in Geylang so our reactive govt will do something.

relax88
26-03-14, 15:45
All the chicken giving free bj thus creating riot:D

iwantgizmos
27-03-14, 02:38
Geylang is already perfect as it is...

irisng
27-03-14, 08:24
Went to Geylang last Sunday for my dinner and drove thru Lorong 24, the crowd came back again, looks like this time have more Indians leh, is it most of the Indians flown to Geylang after the riot in Little India.:simmering:

#1 Loft seems not much development but there is another project along the same lane seems to be building very fast.

babyt
27-03-14, 09:41
the entire stretch of lor 24 is almost deserted n for construction. i am not surprised it is their playground for now.

come the residents next yr, i see how they going have fun there. i will throw banana skin and water down from my balcony at them.

the 2nd plot that build very fast sld be Edenz Loft.

JAFCO
27-03-14, 21:49
This is a good time for GOV to clean up Geylang :cheers5:

First of all it is the police that gave licence to the red light operations...these attracted vice of course.....so why the same police now say its a problem...black eat black....

irisng
28-03-14, 08:32
First of all it is the police that gave licence to the red light operations...these attracted vice of course.....so why the same police now say its a problem...black eat black....

I recall a drama series show.

A family (mother and 2 young sons) was so poor that they have nothing to eat, so her elder son went to steal the food for his mother and younger brother. Her mother praised him for being smart and filial, at least they won't die from hunger. Then one day, this elder brother went to steal food again but this time, his mother beat and scolded him for stealing, so he asked his mother why last time, he was being praised and now he kenna beaten. :confused:

JAFCO
28-03-14, 08:50
[QUOTE=irisng;469609]I recall a drama series show.

A family (mother and 2 sons) was so poor that they have nothing to eat, so her elder son went to steal the food for his mother and younger brother. Her mother praised him for being smart and filial, at least they won't die from hunger. Then one day, this elder brother went to steal food again but this time, his mother beat and scolded him for stealing, so he asked his mother why last time, he was being praised and now he kenna beaten. :confused:[/QUOT

becos the mother dont want to deal with answering the influx and what it had caused...but find someone else to blame on and the son for not able to integrate....

babyt
31-03-14, 07:56
yesterday chinese newspaper and tv news reported on Geylang again. MP and RC members suggest restrict alcohol license, move away workers hostel etc.

looks like they r focusing on Geylang now. Next mth, MP for Geylang, Fatimah Lateefa will present her case in parliament.

siewsphone
31-03-14, 09:37
yesterday chinese newspaper and tv news reported on Geylang again. MP and RC members suggest restrict alcohol license, move away workers hostel etc.

looks like they r focusing on Geylang now. Next mth, MP for Geylang, Fatimah Lateefa will present her case in parliament.

Lets wait for good news! :sleep:

siewsphone
31-03-14, 09:41
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/people-geylang-speak-undercurrent-fear-20140330

rontan_83
31-03-14, 18:05
Lets wait for good news! :sleep:

If workers' dormitory moving out, any chance for the pricing of condo to reach SGD2,000/sqft?

babyt
01-04-14, 15:27
for those staying Lorong 22 and above and want to contribute ur thoughts on Geylang, pls join Mdm Fatimah Lateef fb. Currently she has a posting on Geylang.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fatimah-Lateef/355240599823

The lower lorongs from 20 and below belong to MP Edwin Tong.

irisng
02-04-14, 07:11
for those staying Lorong 22 and above and want to contribute ur thoughts on Geylang, pls join Mdm Fatimah Lateef fb. Currently she has a posting on Geylang.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fatimah-Lateef/355240599823

The lower lorongs from 20 and below belong to MP Edwin Tong.

It is good to know that at least Geylang MP Mdm Fatimah is trying her best to do something good to her constituency. Currently Geylang is still very "complicated" in the night, parking is also another problem. It will be good for the Geylang residents if all these can be improved. Why don't the govt build a multi-storey carpark and remove all the side and lane parking, it might look neater.

babyt
02-04-14, 08:15
irisng, good if u can join the FB and input ur suggestions.

another article supposed to be printed on TNP today. But with 200 survelliance cameras, whats the big deal? Eye power no use. :simmering:

http://www.tnp.sg/content/geylang-police-chief-says-we-never-lost-geylang

siewsphone
02-04-14, 09:54
'Safest place we've lived in so far'
By Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh, The Sunday Times, 30 Mar 2014

Some may see Geylang as an unruly spot in Singapore, but this well-travelled pair is unruffled by its reputation.

American expatriates Lisa and Michael Johnson moved into a row of refurbished shophouses in Lorong 24A back in 2011 - just a street from Lorong 24, where sex workers and their minders line the path.

But the couple, who have lived in America, Japan, India and China, say Singapore is where they have felt safest so far. "Even if this is the most dangerous place in Singapore, it's still a safe place to us," said Mrs Johnson.

Guns were a concern in America, she said, and crime more blatant and widespread outside Singapore. Here, the couple, who both work in finance, have seen police raids that sent crowds of women running past their home in high heels.

"The criminal activities here don't touch us. We see police around and we know they're keeping control. We would never live in a place where we feel in danger," said Mrs Johnson.

They were drawn to Geylang's "culture, colour and chaos", she added, and moved there despite concerns expressed by Singaporean friends. "They'd say, do you know about the neighbourhood? What real estate agent dropped you there?" recalled Mrs Johnson, whose 19-year-old son, their only child, is studying overseas.

"They have this stereotype of the neighbourhood. But there's so much more to Geylang. Good food, lovely people. And it makes good dinner conversation."

irisng
02-04-14, 19:22
MP vows to clean up rowdy Geylang

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/mp-vows-clean-rowdy-geylang

JAFCO
02-04-14, 22:13
MP vows to clean up rowdy Geylang

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/mp-vows-clean-rowdy-geylang

All talk no show....of course she continue so long as no body kick her out and get paid in he millions for doing all these talk....did she even elaborate her plan in detail?

siewsphone
02-04-14, 22:41
Political observers who saw Prof Fatimah's post noted she sounded exasperated because of a lack of a concerted plan of action to manage the various issues that have long plagued Geylang.

Singapore Management University associate law professor Eugene Tan said: "The remarks by the police commissioner last week may have given the impression that she, as the MP, has not done enough to raise crime-control issues in Parliament and to the relevant agencies."

:cheers1:

irisng
02-04-14, 23:12
Political observers who saw Prof Fatimah's post noted she sounded exasperated because of a lack of a concerted plan of action to manage the various issues that have long plagued Geylang.

Singapore Management University associate law professor Eugene Tan said: "The remarks by the police commissioner last week may have given the impression that she, as the MP, has not done enough to raise crime-control issues in Parliament and to the relevant agencies."

:cheers1:

One man's effort is not enough, she needs more supporters. Final decision still lies on her superiors. It is easier to put the blame on others but will "he" be able to do a clean job if he is the MP. I thought crime control is the police's job, why it becomes the MP's job? IMHO, increasing of FW also contributes part of the Geylang's problem. So how, reduce the FW? Reduce the vice? Disperse the vice, so that they will not gather at 1 place? Have few multi-storey carparks, so that parking will not be in a mess but I was thinking whether the gahment is willing to spend such money on the private sectors area or not, I feel that HDB owners are more well taken care of leh.:2cents:

siewsphone
03-04-14, 10:42
One man's effort is not enough, she needs more supporters. Final decision still lies on her superiors. It is easier to put the blame on others but will "he" be able to do a clean job if he is the MP. I thought crime control is the police's job, why it becomes the MP's job? IMHO, increasing of FW also contributes part of the Geylang's problem. So how, reduce the FW? Reduce the vice? Disperse the vice, so that they will not gather at 1 place? Have few multi-storey carparks, so that parking will not be in a mess but I was thinking whether the gahment is willing to spend such money on the private sectors area or not, I feel that HDB owners are more well taken care of leh.:2cents:

This round is a bit different, thanks to the little india riot, now they are get forced to look into this issue seriously than the past.

I am happy to see Geylang in focus on everyday news. The more they amplify the Geylang problem, the more happy I am.

irisng
03-04-14, 18:26
This round is a bit different, thanks to the little india riot, now they are get forced to look into this issue seriously than the past.

I am happy to see Geylang in focus on everyday news. The more they amplify the Geylang problem, the more happy I am.

Problem never "pop" out, everybody sit on it, once know the danger already, then start working on it.