PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance on illegal subletting not an excuse: HDB

irisng
01-03-14, 08:17
The housing board has reminded flat owners that it is their responsibility “to ensure that the flat is sublet only to authorised subtenants and that there is no overcrowding”.

In a media report, a HDB spokesperson explained that subtenants who further sublet the flat to others could also find themselves in trouble, as they would be blacklisted or barred from renting HDB flats for five years.

“We will not hesitate to take stern action against the flat owner if the subletting rules are flouted,” he said.

The Housing and Development Act states that those convicted of illegal subletting can be jailed for six months, fined up to $5,000, or both.

Being unaware of the rules is not a valid excuse in the eyes of the law, since the issue is “clear cut”, said real estate lawyer Norman Ho of Rodyk & Davidson.

“The one who will get into trouble is the flat owner. He doesn't have to do checks, but if things happen, he cannot say that he doesn't know,” said Ho.

irisng
01-03-14, 08:19
But when we sign the rental contract, we are not supposed to disturb the tenant leh.

jwong71
01-03-14, 09:27
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb-for-rent-8-selegie-road-17085749

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb-for-rent-9-selegie-road-15231832

only sgpreans, and malaysians can rent..

rental quota on the nationalities going hit hard, on owners staying in condo, leeching on hdb rental.

thats what govt do not wish to let it happen

irisng
01-03-14, 14:11
There's another news stating that HDB upgraders buying shoebox units on the rise, mainly for investment. I find it very funny lor, why HDB owners can buy pc but pc owners cannot buy HDB.:confused:

irisng
01-03-14, 14:15

rental quota on the nationalities going hit hard, on owners staying in condo, leeching on hdb rental.

$2,700 for HDB rental, better income than my mm apartment.

RCT
01-03-14, 17:55
$2,700 for HDB rental, better income than my mm apartment.

Location Location Location.... Look at the address u will know why people are asking for $2700/-

Violinbite
01-03-14, 18:28
There's another news stating that HDB upgraders buying shoebox units on the rise, mainly for investment. I find it very funny lor, why HDB owners can buy pc but pc owners cannot buy HDB.:confused:

PC owner already stay in PC, in simple term, don't need HDB as subsidize flat. To invest, buy another PC. HDB owner 1st stayed in HDB, as they move on in wealth growing, invest PC.

Govt perspective is not like us in terms what and how we own properties. In simple way, PC owner if wanted a HDB, can sell PC and purchase HDB after meeting certain criteria. Thus govt is not stopping PC owner to own HDB but need to re-click the purchasing cycle.

Royston8H
01-03-14, 19:55
To govt, pc owners already richer for the fact they own pcs. therefore, they can continue to afford pcs and not to fight for public housing with the average.

The question here is about HDB and not pc.

Pc after pc or hdb after pc will result more property tax / stamp duties revenue to govt and yet making sure hdb resale price will not sky rocket high.

Patrickstar
01-03-14, 22:45
Why are those who sell pc only allowed to buy hdb 2.5yrs later? The mop already prevent them from selling after buying hdb so why the waiting period to buy hdb after selling condo?

Violinbite
02-03-14, 00:41
Why are those who sell pc only allowed to buy hdb 2.5yrs later? The mop already prevent them from selling after buying hdb so why the waiting period to buy hdb after selling condo?

I think the perspective is such for reasoning:- if a 1st time hdb owner wants to UPGRADE to a bigger flat size, they already need to wait. Priority of new BTO is given to 1st timer and not upgrader. If a PC owner sells their PC to buy HDB, they are liken 2nd timer HDB purchasers, moreover so it is not even upgrading, it is likely a downgrading. Thus they can never be view as someone needed HDB as badly as the 1st timer (who have no flat); or 2nd timer upgrader (whose need to expand shelter for catering greater need, but in the end still one house); PC downgrade to HDB is a little wierd in comparison, since they already in the first place have a place to stay, housing issue is suppose to be settled. - need to upgrade, buy bigger PC; not bigger HDB.. I think this is how govt perspective probably.

proud owner
02-03-14, 00:54
Location Location Location.... Look at the address u will know why people are asking for $2700/-

my friend rented out his 4 Rm Hdb converted to 2 bedroom unit at Holland Dr ... at $3.5k ....

Royston8H
02-03-14, 09:17
Yes. i dont agree to this strange rule but to say it a bit blunt, not a well thought blanket policy.

Imagine there will be enterpreneurs who failed in their businesses and eventually forced to sell their condos to raise living expenses funds. And how can they afford to buy another pc or wait another long period to buy HDB flat.

Rosy
02-03-14, 09:53
Yes. i dont agree to this strange rule but to say it a bit blunt, not a well thought blanket policy.

Imagine there will be enterpreneurs who failed in their businesses and eventually forced to sell their condos to raise living expenses funds. And how can they afford to buy another pc or wait another long period to buy HDB flat.

I thought the 30months wait is only applicable for those who just sold their pte property and looking to buy a hdb bto/new EC?

u can in fact buy a resale hdb now and given 6months time to offload all your pte properties.

Royston8H
02-03-14, 20:04
I am referring to the hdb policy for private condo owners. Why should private condo owners have to sell all their PCs first before we buy a hdb/ec?

Ideally, we should keep both hdb and pcs. With this kind of ruling, it will be silly to sell away HDB flat for capital appreciation purpose especially those near MRTs.

I thought the 30months wait is only applicable for those who just sold their pte property and looking to buy a hdb bto/new EC?

u can in fact buy a resale hdb now and given 6months time to offload all your pte properties.

Violinbite
02-03-14, 22:19
I am referring to the hdb policy for private condo owners. Why should private condo owners have to sell all their PCs first before we buy a hdb/ec?

Ideally, we should keep both hdb and pcs. With this kind of ruling, it will be silly to sell away HDB flat for capital appreciation purpose especially those near MRTs.

If one had a HDB near MRT indeed shld not sell at all. Move up to buy another PC for wealth growth, be it for investment or home stay. - If one move up from 2 or 3 room HDB flat, upgrade to a 3 bedder EC or PC, if one is very CERTAIN that his financial standing will never allow him to own more than one property, then he is still doing his best.

Not many at large especially the younger ones in work force can start w two properties like buying 2 big toys. HDB policy is FIRST for this group, not for wealth building. To the govt, all land belongs to the state, orchestrating the needs met is their priority, not wealth building. Though they are not stopping PC owners moving in this direction. As for investment, there are many other routes besides properties, eg, stocks, ETF, forex, climb corporate ladder, REITs. When one is ready, enter to buy another PC with profits made. - Afterall, even HDB owner also need to churn enough to buy a second property through these investment routes.

Just have to accept the policy.

Allthepies
03-03-14, 14:06
The rule should be tuned as "as long as you live in HDB, u are not restricted to own PC provided MOP has been served".

This allows both ways to move from PC to HDB and for HDB to invest in PC.

irisng
03-03-14, 16:45
I would think that irregardless of whether you buy HDB first or buy PC first, every S'poreans should be allowed to hold 1 HDB and 1 PC but of course if one want to buy more PC, then need to sell the HDB away. I am very puzzled with the rule, why if buy HDB first, you can hold on to the HDB and after the MOP, you are allowed to own a pte ppty and not the other way round. Afterall, nowadays resale HDB prices can beat some of the PC prices. So not all HDB owners has no money because they know that if want to own both HDB and PC, they must buy HDB first.:2cents:

jwong71
03-03-14, 16:54
worst thing is the mop.

if I'm buying a resale flat without grant or Hdb loan, where should it be a 5yrs mop.

it's not a subsidized flat. like BTO

minority
03-03-14, 16:56
But when we sign the rental contract, we are not supposed to disturb the tenant leh.

No when u sign the contract the contract states that the owner have the right to visit to inspect.

minority
03-03-14, 16:57

not really. the quota was set becoz many green eye people bay song why HDB people can rent out and go stay condo while they cannot. so complain a lot. so now quota kick in liao lor.

minority
03-03-14, 16:59

can buy resale what no. restriction. !

minority
03-03-14, 17:01
I think the perspective is such for reasoning:- if a 1st time hdb owner wants to UPGRADE to a bigger flat size, they already need to wait. Priority of new BTO is given to 1st timer and not upgrader. If a PC owner sells their PC to buy HDB, they are liken 2nd timer HDB purchasers, moreover so it is not even upgrading, it is likely a downgrading. Thus they can never be view as someone needed HDB as badly as the 1st timer (who have no flat); or 2nd timer upgrader (whose need to expand shelter for catering greater need, but in the end still one house); PC downgrade to HDB is a little wierd in comparison, since they already in the first place have a place to stay, housing issue is suppose to be settled. - need to upgrade, buy bigger PC; not bigger HDB.. I think this is how govt perspective probably.

the 1st owner already benefit from selling his HDB and got $ from selling PC. so if want to downgrade go get Resale. give the 1st timer chance to bite at BTO so as not to push BTO demand out of reality.

Also to reiterate what ah kong say. don't sell ur HDB

Royston8H
03-03-14, 21:02
If you buy a hdb resale, you will kanna stuck for a MOP of 5 years before you can buy a PC. And you will need to dispose your pcs within 6mths.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatPublicScheme?OpenDocument

can buy resale what no. restriction. !

minority
03-03-14, 22:00

Special cases can go See MP and ask for help for exception. If not GO BUY RESALE. !

minority
03-03-14, 22:03
If you buy a hdb resale, you will kanna stuck for a MOP of 5 years before you can buy a PC. And you will need to dispose your pcs within 6mths.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatPublicScheme?OpenDocument

yeah the scenario is the guy downgrade right? selling PC want buy HDB. that is ok what. can buy resale.

Violinbite
04-03-14, 09:59
not really. the quota was set becoz many green eye people bay song why HDB people can rent out and go stay condo while they cannot. so complain a lot. so now quota kick in liao lor.

Who are these green eye pple? U refering generally to Singaporeans? Why should they be green eye, afterall no one is preventing them from renting their unit or even room rental. If they are capable, just buy PC on top of their Hdb. If they can only afford Hdb, then can also rent room for income. Why must they be green eye? I think this is one of the bulk of the problems when, people not happy by comparing with one another.

Currently, my neighbour staying in 4 rm Hdb also rent out two of his rooms. As for me, I too rent out one room from my flat. Sacrifice some privacy for some cash, just have to give and take lah....

. Well if you want the best of both world of passive income and privacy, then own two properties. - one for you, one for tenants. If you want more cash, buy a CCR unit and rent, stay in HDB. If you want more quality life, less passive cash in return, buy a cheap OCR 99yr leasehold PC and stay in expense of your inconvenience and rent out Hdb. No bullets for two properties and still need more passive cash? Rent out master bed room or rent out two rooms like my neighbour .. Complain just wont cut anything.. life goes on. Those that can adapt will always wins better.:)

el loco
04-03-14, 10:37
Who are these green eye pple? U refering generally to Singaporeans? Why should they be green eye, afterall no one is preventing them from renting their unit or even room rental. If they are capable, just buy PC on top of their Hdb. If they can only afford Hdb, then can also rent room for income. Why must they be green eye? I think this is one of the bulk of the problems when, people not happy by comparing with one another.

Currently, my neighbour staying in 4 rm Hdb also rent out two of his rooms. As for me, I too rent out one room from my flat. Sacrifice some privacy for some cash, just have to give and take lah....

. Well if you want the best of both world of passive income and privacy, then own two properties. - one for you, one for tenants. If you want more cash, buy a CCR unit and rent, stay in HDB. If you want more quality life, less passive cash in return, buy a cheap OCR 99yr leasehold PC and stay in expense of your inconvenience and rent out Hdb. No bullets for two properties and still need more passive cash? Rent out master bed room or rent out two rooms like my neighbour .. Complain just wont cut anything.. life goes on. Those that can adapt will always wins better.:)

LIKED!

LIKED!

Royston8H
04-03-14, 20:54
So the conclusion is to keep HDB and private condos for a long long time. :rolleyes:

matrix0405
05-03-14, 08:13

This is the most comprehensive solution for landlords.

matrix0405
05-03-14, 08:19

Agree. Why HDB don allow Sinkie (with PC) to buy HDB but allow foreigners (PR) to buy?

Cyberknight
05-03-14, 08:24
Agree. Why HDB don allow Sinkie (with PC) to buy HDB but allow foreigners (PR) to buy?

Why r u buying HDB when u have PC to live in?

lionhill
05-03-14, 08:57

Ans: the question per se has holes and distorts the fact.

Cupcakes
05-03-14, 20:27
why PR (sibling) can buy HDB, but singaporean (sibling) cannot buy HDB?

Cyberknight
05-03-14, 20:35
why PR (sibling) can buy HDB, but singaporean (sibling) cannot buy HDB?

What u talking ? Can elaborate...

Violinbite
05-03-14, 22:26
So the conclusion is to keep HDB and private condos for a long long time. :rolleyes:

In a snapshot under all the current policies, yes. If those already own HDB and bought PC later, keep both.
But there is also another catch, that those PC owners that cannot 'reverse' to buy Hdb, can still stay positive. Think about it, even one can buy a resale Hdb, a budget of $500k can buy you at best a 5rm flat at a not so near MRT unit, with a rental of about $2-2.5k per month, but PC owner can use the approx same amount buy a shoebox PC unit and rent for $1.8-2k - slightly less return but one can still stay in PC comfortably without kena all kind of Hdb policies.
But if one foresees a major correction and thinking of 'reclicking' their portfolio by selling their PC and go back to Hdb, then my humble 2 cent worth is to buy a BTO or resale Hdb unit NEAR MRT, after MOP one can revisit PC again with Hdb near MRT on hand.

I wish I had my Hdb near MRT but didnt foresee well the need as I took a flat near my parents in the past just to qualify for the $50k grant. Now, cannot really reclick to get one near MRT since have bought PC few years back.

Cupcakes
08-03-14, 14:25
What u talking ? Can elaborate...

PR siblings can buy HDB provided that their parents do not stay in Singapore, no min age required. But Singaporean citizen cannot.

leesg123
08-03-14, 17:09
To be fair, hdb owner should be banned from investing in pc. Since pc owner cant buy hdb. If hdb owner have that cash to buy pc they should just go buy shares or put in fd. If really want pc, then should gige up the hdb to the pool of common folks who need public housing.

Cyberknight
08-03-14, 20:19
PR siblings can buy HDB provided that their parents do not stay in Singapore, no min age required. But Singaporean citizen cannot.

NEW or resale HDB?

Resale HDB no prob wat.

NEW HDB PR can't apply. Only citizens can buy.

Think ur " Singapore citizen siblings" have some reasons that disqualified them from buying.

Cupcakes
08-03-14, 22:09
NEW or resale HDB?

Resale HDB no prob wat.

NEW HDB PR can't apply. Only citizens can buy.

Think ur " Singapore citizen siblings" have some reasons that disqualified them from buying.

Yes. Singaporean parents still alive and below 35, that's why cannot buy.

Cyberknight
09-03-14, 09:26
Yes. Singaporean parents still alive and below 35, that's why cannot buy.

Think u must understand the reason behind. Citizens sibling can stay w their parent homes in Singapore. PRs sibling whose parent r oversea have no roof over their heads. Anyway why put ur self in that situation? Once get married, have to employ lawyer to separate names when buying another HDB. Unless citizens siblings decided to remain singles when young.

Cupcakes
09-03-14, 11:49
Think u must understand the reason behind. Citizens sibling can stay w their parent homes in Singapore. PRs sibling whose parent r oversea have no roof over their heads. Anyway why put ur self in that situation? Once get married, have to employ lawyer to separate names when buying another HDB. Unless citizens siblings decided to remain singles when young.
Similarly, If condo owner cannot buy hdb then don't buy.