PDA

View Full Version : S'pore owner shocked to see 4-room flat become dorm for 20 people

princess_morbucks
26-02-14, 16:50
http://business.asiaone.com/news/home-sweat-home

http://business.asiaone.com/sites/default/files/styles/medium/public/2014/02/26/homesweathome_main.jpg

SINGAPORE - He was shocked when he saw the state of his Jurong West four-room flat earlier this month.
What used to be home for his family of five became a "dormitory" for at least 20 Chinese nationals after he rented out the Housing Board flat to six subtenants about seven months ago, he said.
The businessman in his 30s, who wanted to be known only as Mr Ahmad, told The New Paper: "When I looked inside (the flat), I saw 40 to 50 pairs of shoes. I went in and saw at least three bunk beds in each bedroom.
"The storeroom had been converted into a bedroom and there was even a wooden partition separating the dining area from the living room to create another bedroom," he said.
Even his own bedroom was not spared, with his $5,000 mattress shoved behind the bedroom door to make way for the bunk beds.
He said: "My wife was very emotional when she found out (about what happened to our flat)." Mr Ahmad and his family, who had been in Penang, Malaysia, to look for business opportunities since last July, returned to Singapore to settle housekeeping issues with his subtenants.
Under HDB guidelines, a maximum of nine subtenants are allowed in a four-room flat.
Mr Ahmad had applied successfully to the HDB to rent his flat to six subtenants before leaving Singapore.
He said that he did not know much about them, except that they were work-permit holders from China.
- See more at: http://business.asiaone.com/news/home-sweat-home#sthash.F5x4hVzk.dpuf

radha08
26-02-14, 19:51
gulp....:scared-1::scared-1::scared-1:

CondoInterested
26-02-14, 21:27
Should install CCTV at entrance and living room.

Tell them and put in contract if camera not functioning, their deposit will be confiscated and to move out immediately.

If they don't, make a police report, wait till all go out to work, get some help to move all their things out and change the lock.

Buy insurance in case they burn your house.

Kelonguni
26-02-14, 21:47
Landlord's nightmare - it is not that easy being one, especially if you intend to come back to stay in the future.

Patrickstar
27-02-14, 01:40
Moral is never rent to prc :doh:

4wheels
27-02-14, 05:22
Rent to the right people is the key.

Don't ever tell ur tenants that you are out of country.

irisng
27-02-14, 07:37
I thought it was all stated on the contract for the number of people to stay in the house. In this case, can the owner claim for compensation or take up any action?

pod
27-02-14, 14:36
Its weird... Anyway... i would contact my neighbours periodically just to find out more.

It's always good to stay in contact with neighbours. Buy them some goodies during festive seasons and they will help u watchout abit when u not around. :p

onglai
27-02-14, 15:33
i tot it's very common, the fw will rope in as many pple as possible to lower their cost. the more entrepreneuristic one can even make money to be the 2nd landlord.

pod
28-02-14, 10:34
i tot it's very common, the fw will rope in as many pple as possible to lower their cost. the more entrepreneuristic one can even make money to be the 2nd landlord.

By right the tenants are not allowed to 'sublet'. Esp HDB is super strict. I will put it specifically in writing too as well. But ya, some of the tenants will work around this by moving in first and lie low for few weeks, before introducing their 'friends' and 'relatives' to come in a share cost. :scared-1:

proud owner
28-02-14, 23:56
By right the tenants are not allowed to 'sublet'. Esp HDB is super strict. I will put it specifically in writing too as well. But ya, some of the tenants will work around this by moving in first and lie low for few weeks, before introducing their 'friends' and 'relatives' to come in a share cost. :scared-1:

land lord has the right to chase out the rest of the tenants ... and warn the original tenants ...

if they do not move out within XXX days ... the owner can take back the unit .. and chase out the original tenants as well and KEEP the deposit