PDA

View Full Version : Landlord/ Subletting experiences

Violinbite
09-02-14, 23:15
Hi to all who have been landlords,

Greatlly appreciate if any of you bro and sis, care to share personal experience of subletting to tenants of various ethnic groups. Good or bad is ok.
Was about to rent out a small apartment, with various responses. Indian family; Indonesian students are among. Hope to hear objectively.:)

leesg123
09-02-14, 23:18

Greatlly appreciate if any of you bro and sis, care to share personal experience of subletting to tenants of various ethnic groups. Good or bad is ok.
Was about to rent out a small apartment, with various responses. Indian family; Indonesian students are among. Hope to hear objectively.:)

1st one is definitely out esp family that cooks.

2nd one if female, chinese ok.

DC33_2008
10-02-14, 08:17
It is not about nationality but the attitude / character of the tenants. However, I am not too comfortable with students.

chiaberry
10-02-14, 08:21

Neither is ideal. If you can afford to go without rent for a longer period, continue to look.

What is the profession of the Indian?

HDB or private property?

leesg123
10-02-14, 08:28
It is not about nationality but the attitude / character of the tenants. However, I am not too comfortable with students.

There is a link between nationality and attitude leh. Quite strong link. 无风不起浪

DC33_2008
10-02-14, 08:34
I have no problem with my tenants who are Americans, Australians, Indians (working in MNCs), French, Japanese, British, and Taiwanese till now. I am not keen on Nigerians and Chinese from China.

chiaberry
10-02-14, 08:46
Unfortunately we can't be too choosy about our tenants these days. Thanks for our Govt limiting the foreigners coming in. There seem to be a higher proportion of Indians amongst tenants recently. Personally I would rather have the Indian family than the Indo students. But for me, I depend on my agent (who has been working for me for many many years) to screen the tenant. As she is the one who has to deal with the tenant if there is any problem arising from the tenancy (eg late payment/non-payment/damage to property at the end of the tenancy etc etc etc). So she would be careful to choose carefully for my sake as well as her own.

pod
10-02-14, 09:12

I would casually ask the prospective tenants things like,

1) do they enjoy cooking? (curry?)
2) Will they have visitors regularly? (some bring in their relatives to stay after u hand them the keys)
3) how old their kids? (u know how fun loving the kids are to your property)
4) how will they maintain the house? (some will engage maids/part time cleaner)
5) do they travel frequently? (good la... )
6) Payment mustbe prompt (tell them straight in face, dun paiseh)
etc etc..

I wouldnt hesitate to reduce my rental for in exchange for a quality tenant. Seriously, there r tenants that will make ur life miserable. :simmering:

Cupcakes
10-02-14, 09:58
maybe avoid Indians if you are renting out HDB. i have a neighbour rented out HBD unit to an indian family. There have been urine smell at the lift lobby till the day they moved out. The family like to block the corridor with their stuff like children bicycle and laundry. The wife like to don't knw speak or scream at the top of her voice everyday. The husband went topless walking along the corridor smoking & chatting over the phone till 11pm plus EVERY night. The children like to run around freely and play with my potted plant & dirty the place outside my unit. There have been incident when they climbed on my door gate. My other neighbour will take photographs and sent them to HDB. That unit has been renting out to a few foreign family before, it was peaceful till that indian family moved in.

Rosy
10-02-14, 10:18
I personally priced my units at below market price to attract good tenants. So far i have no major problems.

sunboy77
10-02-14, 12:24

Extremely well said.

sunboy77
10-02-14, 12:37
Actually this is an interesting topic for discussion.
I have a question: if it is illegal to advertise "no Indians please" (for example) on a jobs classified ad, then is it also illegal to advertise the same for a house rental ad?

leesg123
10-02-14, 12:49
Actually this is an interesting topic for discussion.
I have a question: if it is illegal to advertise "no Indians please" (for example) on a jobs classified ad, then is it also illegal to advertise the same for a house rental ad?
Yes it is illegal as it is deemed racist. So advertise as normal. They can response, as landlord we can always reject without giving reasons (anyway agents understand and will do the 1st filtering).

Cupcakes
10-02-14, 12:56
i have seen people posting like no indians, no china before. it is not like advertising a job, i think should be ok...:beats-me-man:

Violinbite
10-02-14, 13:29
Neither is ideal. If you can afford to go without rent for a longer period, continue to look.

What is the profession of the Indian?

HDB or private property?

Hi.

Thanks for all bro and sis feedbacks. Indeed female tenants always seems more ideal.. I m sceptical about student' tenancy as well...

Mine was a 2 bedder PC at Bukit Panjang. For the past 4 years, I had a Pakistani female professional; an Indian professional with a wife and a kid (this one surprisingly was clean without cooking issue) with good integrity; the current one expiring is two Vietnamese ladies professionals and sisters as well, but somehow they seems very rental price conscious. - Thus not renewing their tenancy.

I really hope to find good tenants but wish 1st March could fill up the gap without a break.
Not sure, this season if sub-tenancy is likely to take its cause in this current season.

Violinbite
10-02-14, 13:35
I would casually ask the prospective tenants things like,

1) do they enjoy cooking? (curry?)
2) Will they have visitors regularly? (some bring in their relatives to stay after u hand them the keys)
3) how old their kids? (u know how fun loving the kids are to your property)
4) how will they maintain the house? (some will engage maids/part time cleaner)
5) do they travel frequently? (good la... )
6) Payment mustbe prompt (tell them straight in face, dun paiseh)
etc etc..

I wouldnt hesitate to reduce my rental for in exchange for a quality tenant. Seriously, there r tenants that will make ur life miserable. :simmering:

Thanks pod,

Very informative:) I should share that with my agent! Though I m yet to see any tenants face to face. Indeed I think Chiaberry was correct, another friend also was to deal with Indian enquiries.