PDA

View Full Version : Where to put your money in 2014

princess_morbucks
31-12-13, 10:31
http://business.asiaone.com/news/personal-finance/where-put-your-money-2014Where

Wunderkind
31-12-13, 16:08
http://business.asiaone.com/news/personal-finance/where-put-your-money-2014Where

Dear Princess,

If you were to ask me, there are only 2 good places to put money in 2014 :

1. Buy a decent size MM condo or more at less than $1M. Preferably, get it in CCR.If not, get it near the MRT, shopping malls or commercial offices.

2. Buy and keep US dollar for the entire year.

newbie11
31-12-13, 17:41
Where to find ccr mm decent size $1m

princess_morbucks
31-12-13, 20:42
Dear Princess,

1. Buy a decent size MM condo or more at less than $1M. Preferably, get it in CCR.If not, get it near the MRT, shopping malls or commercial offices.

Thanks for sharing!

The link does not seem to work, so I post again.

http://business.asiaone.com/news/personal-finance/where-put-your-money-2014

Wunderkind
01-01-14, 13:27
Where to find ccr mm decent size $1m

If not CCR , go for RCR and OCR , but you should get it near amenities and transport nodes.

The Hongkongers are very used to convenience. They don't mind the size , as they are used to in Hongkong , but not the inconvenience. Why the Hongkongers? You have heard it from the HK celebrities yourselves.

PC08
01-01-14, 13:45
If not CCR , go for RCR and OCR , but you should get it near amenities and transport nodes.

The Hongkongers are very used to convenience. They don't mind the size , as they are used to in Hongkong , but not the inconvenience. Why the Hongkongers? You have heard it from the HK celebrities yourselves.

Location and timing are both important.

HK is no longer a good yardstick to compare against, it seems to me that they have already been economically sidelined. The new yardstick would be Shanghai. It will be a powerhouse.

Wunderkind
01-01-14, 14:58

HK is no longer a good yardstick to compare against, it seems to me that they have already been economically sidelined. The new yardstick would be Shanghai. It will be a powerhouse.

You miss my point .

They are coming to invest in Singapore.

jwong71
01-01-14, 16:24

Alot of hk Celebrities are making money from properties, report on some paper or magazine.

Those who interested, already buy. And they are savvy. Otherwise the report would read, hk celebrities lost money!

For the low income and mid income, they have nothing to come to sgp. Only if millionaires.

minority
01-01-14, 17:57
Alot of hk Celebrities are making money from properties, report on some paper or magazine.

Those who interested, already buy. And they are savvy. Otherwise the report would read, hk celebrities lost money!

For the low income and mid income, they have nothing to come to sgp. Only if millionaires.

Got people make $ got people lose $. People always like to hear that there are people who make $. those who lose $ usually keep quiet.

jwong71
01-01-14, 18:11
Got people make $ got people lose $. People always like to hear that there are people who make $. those who lose $ usually keep quiet.

if u referring to them as hk celebrities.

dont worry for them, even they lose in properties. they still make more than us in movies, advertisements..

minority
01-01-14, 18:16

I will put my $$ bet on US equity. or maybe europe. typical growth cycle. each takes it turn. of ups n downs. now the time have come for US and next Europe. Some reality check for Asia after the blistering growth in the last 7 yrs.

RCT
01-01-14, 18:17

Agree with you.. Shanghai will be the powerhouse...

eng81157
02-01-14, 07:57
Shanghai is a powerhouse, though it's continued rise is befuddled with tons of issues.

1. rising RMB pushing low cost cookie cutter manufacturing industries to cheaper countries

2. internal rifts caused by sociopolitical issues

3. irreversible environmental damage where costs may only be evidently high in later generations

4. ongoing territorial spats and geopolitical tensions with neighbouring countries may cause FDI to decline

5. opaque banking system

blah blah blah

PC08
02-01-14, 18:08
Shanghai is a powerhouse, though it's continued rise is befuddled with tons of issues.

1. rising RMB pushing low cost cookie cutter manufacturing industries to cheaper countries

2. internal rifts caused by sociopolitical issues

3. irreversible environmental damage where costs may only be evidently high in later generations

4. ongoing territorial spats and geopolitical tensions with neighbouring countries may cause FDI to decline

5. opaque banking system

blah blah blah

I've worked with people in Shanghai. They are very competent. The main hurdles now are language, transparency and environment, but knowing the resolution of the Chinese government, these problems will not be a permanent one.

Singapore's real competition is from Shanghai. If we lose quality jobs to someone, it will be to Shanghai, when MNCs choose to establish their HQ there instead of Singapore. HK to me is history.

azeoprop
02-01-14, 19:04
Buy gold? :rolleyes:

minority
02-01-14, 21:34
I've worked with people in Shanghai. They are very competent. The main hurdles now are language, transparency and environment, but knowing the resolution of the Chinese government, these problems will not be a permanent one.

Singapore's real competition is from Shanghai. If we lose quality jobs to someone, it will be to Shanghai, when MNCs choose to establish their HQ there instead of Singapore. HK to me is history.

yes I agree our lunch is at stake from competition from Shanghai. Most business are split to ASIA to north and south ex japan. And ASEAN are actually very small. too many small countries with diverse culture to manage.

u talk to the biz people when they look at ASIA its JAPAN and China. the rest are garnish.

Allthepies
03-01-14, 06:34
Buy Singapore property for those with 0 property on hand : )

richwang
03-01-14, 21:14
GOLD
or gold mining stocks (if you want to leverage).

Wunderkind
04-01-14, 18:18
2014 will be a year of transition . US has started to taper it's massive QE program. Europe, except for Germany, is likely to be flat in terms of economic growth. Japan is starting to show some semblance of growth. China, the economic powerhouse is starting to slow to a steady rate of 7 %. Property curbs are in place to rein on rising prices. Back home , Singapore is expected to hit around 2 to 4 % growth. On the property front, prices are coming down while cooling measures remain in place. What does all these mean to investors?

chestnut
04-01-14, 18:33
who moved my cheese?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese%3F

Wunderkind
04-01-14, 20:51
who moved my cheese?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese%3F

Thanks bro.

PS : That 's a old book on managing change. You must be in your late forties or early fifties.;)

玉格格
04-01-14, 20:57
Thanks bro.

PS : That 's a old book on managing change. You must be in your late forties or early fifties.;)

:eek: how u noe one? so dangerous. next time cannot tok to u.

Wunderkind
05-01-14, 08:24
:eek: how u noe one? so dangerous. next time cannot tok to u.

Tot it was interesting and timely that chestnut advised us to read the book who moved my cheese. The book was first published in 1998 ( that why I consider it a old book) but I guess the insights are still relevant today.

PS: The age part of my remarks is really a compliment of the wisdom of his suggestion. So go read it !

limfc
07-01-14, 15:37
2014 will be a year of transition . US has started to taper it's massive QE program. Europe, except for Germany, is likely to be flat in terms of economic growth. Japan is starting to show some semblance of growth. China, the economic powerhouse is starting to slow to a steady rate of 7 %. Property curbs are in place to rein on rising prices.

In my opinion, these are international economics concerns, which are not easily within local control. At the moment, the sentiment seems to bode well for local economy? Hopefully, the garhmen continue to keep a keen eye and to proactively manage what can be done locally, e.g. manage currency exchange rate / interest rate / hot money in-out flow / garhmen spending to cushion any impact to local economy.

Back home , Singapore is expected to hit around 2 to 4 % growth. On the property front, prices are coming down while cooling measures remain in place. What does all these mean to investors?

The situation might finally be tilted towards over-supply and if the supply-demand works itself out, prices should moderate a little bit, which will provide a window [might be short one] for genuine users to buy.

my verdict? time to start shopping and buy based on yield and be prepared to hold for mid-to-long term, till at least the next GE. What say you? :D

Wunderkind
09-01-14, 11:59
In my opinion, these are international economics concerns, which are not easily within local control. At the moment, the sentiment seems to bode well for local economy? Hopefully, the garhmen continue to keep a keen eye and to proactively manage what can be done locally, e.g. manage currency exchange rate / interest rate / hot money in-out flow / garhmen spending to cushion any impact to local economy.

The situation might finally be tilted towards over-supply and if the supply-demand works itself out, prices should moderate a little bit, which will provide a window [might be short one] for genuine users to buy.

my verdict? time to start shopping and buy based on yield and be prepared to hold for mid-to-long term, till at least the next GE. What say you? :D

Not easy to find good yield at this time when the price of property has gone up significantly. However, there is always the opportunity when someone is willing to sell below their buy price for one reason or another. Remember the basics of property investment for yield are convenience, location and growth story. Good luck!

catsick
10-01-14, 13:07
10 year HDB issued bonds yield 3.5% , HDB debt is always going to be safe as houses , no hassle and tax free so the same as buying property with 5% plus yield

over 10 years it is very unlikely the average rate will be over 3.5% , we will have a couple more years of zero , after that if rates go up to more than 3% it will be a killer for anyone too leveraged ...

I bought some of these this week , in 2-3 years time when prices are lower will use for property purchase ....

minority
10-01-14, 19:19
who moved the Cheese???!?????!??! :scared-3::scared-3::scared-3:

Wunderkind
15-01-14, 20:41
Dear Princess,

SINGAPORE: The weakening Singapore dollar had a temporary reprieve as it rebounds against the US dollar on Friday.

Still, experts said they expect more downside in the near term with the Sing dollar likely to languish near its four-month low.

Currency strategists said the weakness could raise business input costs.

But a lower domestic currency could boost exports amid global recovery, supporting a pickup in the Sing dollar later in the year.

As the Federal Reserve rolls back its monetary stimulus, the Sing dollar is at its weakest levels in four months against a strengthening US dollar.

Currency strategists are expecting the Sing dollar to continue to weaken against the greenback over the next few months.

Some estimate the exchange rate could hit up to 1.30 by the end of the first quarter of this year, compared with its current value of 1.27.

By the end of the quarter, Phillip Futures projects that it could reach 1.30; UOB and ANZ expect it to remain stable around 1.27 for this quarter, but each anticipate that the exchange rate will continue to depreciate to 1.33 and 1.29 respectively by the end of the year.

Meanwhile, Bank of Singapore FX Strategist, Sim Moh Siong, said it could reach up to 1.28 in the next few weeks.

Some analysts are concerned that a weaker dollar may affect domestic business costs.

Khoon Goh, senior FX strategist at ANZ, said: "A weaker dollar would naturally lead to higher imported inflation at a time when businesses are already facing rising costs from rents and labour costs.

"I think we might start to see some price rises coming through that channel, but we're not expecting very rapid depreciation of the Sing dollar, so any pass through at the end of the day will depend on the business climate and the ability of businesses to push through higher price increases."

But some currency strategists said a weaker currency could boost exports, particularly on the back of global recovery.

Bank of Singapore strategists expect this to support the Sing dollar in the next few months, and help it appreciate to 1.25 over the rest of the year.

Sim Moh Siong, an FX strategist at Bank of Singapore, said: "For the Sing dollar, there are concerns about the competitiveness of the currency, and a slight frustration about the lack of more visible signs of a pickup in the Singapore economy. But given the global recovery we are seeing, that could spill over to the domestic economy, and if we do see signs of a greater pick up, that would be helpful for the Sing dollar."

Singapore's currency is expected to outperform some of its regional peers, which could lead to an erosion of the city-state's competitiveness.

But some analysts are optimistic that Singapore's strong economic fundamentals will outweigh exchange rate movements.

heehee
16-01-14, 06:05
I never believe in buying properties based on rental yield & this guide has served me profitably, just like I buy don't stocks based on div yields.

k00L
17-01-14, 10:40
10 year HDB issued bonds yield 3.5% , HDB debt is always going to be safe as houses , no hassle and tax free so the same as buying property with 5% plus yield

over 10 years it is very unlikely the average rate will be over 3.5% , we will have a couple more years of zero , after that if rates go up to more than 3% it will be a killer for anyone too leveraged ...

I bought some of these this week , in 2-3 years time when prices are lower will use for property purchase ....

Better to keep duration short - in 2-3 yrs, your hdb bonds become 7yr, and it might be repriced on steeper treasury curve

Royston8H
19-01-14, 16:56
German-property-investment (http://www.propertyrichesprogram.com/blog/german-property-investment/) - For those who may be interested in rental yield n not capital appreciation, check this out