PDA

View Full Version : Husband denied share of flat after divorce

princess_morbucks
26-12-13, 13:51
http://www.divaasia.com/article/26932

A man who left his wife 19 years ago has filed for divorce, but will not get a cent from their flat.
The High Court, in decision grounds released on Monday, dismissed Mr Andrew Sim's claim for an equal share of the $400,000 Housing Board flat, finding that his spouse Wee Siew Gee's indirect contributions to the family outweighed any share he would have got.
Judicial Commissioner George Wei ruled it was the "just and equitable" thing to do, under the circumstances, and affirming the decision of the family court where the case was first heard.
He made clear in a 74-page judgment that "the division of matrimonial assets must not be reduced to a mathematical exercise of addition, subtraction and percentage. A holistic approach must be taken". The decision was based on the unique circumstances of a long marriage and the court found it fair for Madam Wee to keep the flat without having to reimburse any sum to her husband.
Mr Sim, a 63-year-old cabby, and Madam Wee, 62, were married for 39 years but lived apart after he left the Tampines family home in 1993. They have a daughter now aged 37.
When he took steps to divorce her last year, the issue of dealing with their joint asset and maintenance came up for a decision.
District Judge Sowaran Singh ruled in June the flat was to be handed over to Madam Wee and with no order as to maintenance. The judge also ruled there would be no refund of his CPF monies used in buying the flat, about nine times that of her CPF contribution. On appeal, Mr Sim, through lawyer Tan Siew Kim, argued he took care of all major household and family expenses in the 20 years before he left, even after he was made bankrupt in 1984.
But the court found the evidence of Madam Wee, defended by lawyer Thian Wen Yi, to be more credible. Mr Sim had been a bankrupt for about 15 years and showed no documentary evidence of his contributions to the flat renovations or household expenses. After he left, he provided no financial support to the family.
The court accepted that he "occasionally" contributed towards some household expenses, but Madam Wee's share towards renovations, homemaking, parenting and household expenses were were "far higher" and "far more significant" than Mr Sim's.
It emerged that he left in 1993 after an altercation which led to a police report, had gambling debts and served jail time in 1983 for cheating. The family helped pay off some of his debts.
Judicial commissioner Wei said a clean break was in the best interest of the parties.
Asked why he waited for 19 years before filing for divorce, his lawyer Ms Tan said he "wanted his wife and daughter to have the comfort of home to live in".
Mr Wee did not file even when his daughter got married in 2010.
"It was only after his wife moved to their daughter's home that he realised she no longer needed the home and decided to file for divorce. He is now a virtual destitute, having lost the case."

leesg123
26-12-13, 14:22
He thought he could strike jackpot :doh:

hopeful
26-12-13, 15:12
He thought he could strike jackpot :doh:

why you say him like that?
he was being kindhearted, let the ex-wife stay rent free and that's what he get in return.

The take home lesson is this:
so guys, when you leave home, apply for divorce straight away. Sell the HDB and private property to make a clean break of the assets. A small loss is better than a 100% loss.

very much open to intepretation on what is just and equitable le.
i have read a few legal cases where an illiterate / semi-blind women signed away their rights as property owners, and yet the judge maintained that women have signed it away and the sale of property were legal. The judge maintained that although "not just and equitable", it is still the law.

hopeful
26-12-13, 15:17
http://www.divaasia.com/article/26932
District Judge Sowaran Singh ruled in June the flat was to be handed over to Madam Wee and with no order as to maintenance. The judge also ruled there would be no refund of his CPF monies used in buying the flat, about nine times that of her CPF contribution....

If the wife sell the flat, the sale proceeds all goes to her less her CPF contribution only?
So no need to deduct the guy's CPF contribution from the sales proceeds?

like that it is like taking money early out of CPF.

and how can guy repay back to the CPF? He owed the CPF the original sum + many years accrued.

Shoeboxsupporter
26-12-13, 15:21
he was being kindhearted, let the ex-wife stay rent free and that's what he get in return.

so guys, when you leave home, apply for divorce straight away. Sell the HDB and private property to make a clean break of the assets. A small loss is better than a 100% loss.

i have read a few legal cases where an illiterate / semi-blind women signed away their rights as property owners, and yet the judge maintained that women have signed it away and the sale of property were legal. The judge maintained that although "not just and equitable", it is still the law.

How can you claim a person who leave the family to be kindhearted ?
Heartless Judge will not based on Just and Equitable. However, our society should not conform to this........:(

RCT
26-12-13, 15:28
How can you claim a person who leave the family to be kindhearted ?
Heartless Judge will not based on Just and Equitable. However, our society should not conform to this........:(

Yes... Agree... He is an insult to all men.... Go and fight asset with ex-wife... :doh: As a man, go and earn

princess_morbucks
26-12-13, 15:46
I know of a fren who is divorced and still servicing a loan to HDB.
Apparently, she had to pay the amount her ex husband used from his CPF to pay for the HDB flat, before she could remove his name from the flat.

玉格格
26-12-13, 15:50

u r mistaken.
he left home without a divorce. in substance, he had abandon his family. so how can u say he left his ex-wife stay for free where his wife is still legally his spouse till the day he divorce her?
he is certainly not being kind-hearted. most probably he wanna encash the flat, else he wun return.

so troublesome. marry tat time dun buy hdb, juz buy pte. each buy their own. can choose to stay in one of the ppty. when divorced tat time oni nid to split the children :p

玉格格
26-12-13, 15:56
I know of a fren who is divorced and still servicing a loan to HDB.
Apparently, she had to pay the amount her ex husband used from his CPF to pay for the HDB flat, before she could remove his name from the flat.

tink nid to return the amt the husband used cpf to pay.

my cousin de husband run road too, abandoning my cousin n their children. my cousin applied for a divorce recently. court din spilt the sale 1/2 though. not sure who paid for the house (I believe is the husband solely cos most of the time my cousin is a housewife) but understand tat she got a larger share.

hopeful
26-12-13, 15:56

princess_morbucks
26-12-13, 15:59
If the wife sell the flat, the sale proceeds all goes to her less her CPF contribution only?
So no need to deduct the guy's CPF contribution from the sales proceeds?

like that it is like taking money early out of CPF.

and how can guy repay back to the CPF? He owed the CPF the original sum + many years accrued.

Usually it would be necessary to refund the amount taken from the CPF OA which was used to pay for the flat.
But I think in this case, it is because of his age - he is already 63 years old.

Refer to this website :

http://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/CPF/my-cpf/buy-house/BH11.htm

"If you are aged 55 and above when you sell your flat, the CPF refunds will be used to top up your Retirement Account up to your cohort Minimum Sum and your Medisave Account up to the prevailing Medisave Required Amount. "

thomastansb
26-12-13, 16:04
If he is being kind hearted, he wouldn't have gone into gambling, he wouldn't have gone into cheating and even when he come out of prison and wanted to make up for the family, he could have provided them with money. The truth is out there for us to judge - he isn't (and wasn't) kind.

thomastansb
26-12-13, 16:06
He don't even deserve a cent. He deserved it - totally..

Usually it would be necessary to refund the amount taken from the CPF OA which was used to pay for the flat.
But I think in this case, it is because of his age - he is already 63 years old.

Refer to this website :

"If you are aged 55 and above when you sell your flat, the CPF refunds will be used to top up your Retirement Account up to your cohort Minimum Sum and your Medisave Account up to the prevailing Medisave Required Amount. "

hopeful
26-12-13, 16:07
when we hear of divorce cases, looks like public opinion is already against the man.

玉格格
26-12-13, 16:10
If he is being kind hearted, he wouldn't have gone into gambling, he wouldn't have gone into cheating and even when he come out of prison and wanted to make up for the family, he could have provided them with money. The truth is out there for us to judge - he isn't (and wasn't) kind.

those who divorced/hv extramarital affairs still not as jialat as those who abandon the family, den many yrs later finished spending all his money liao/money being cheated den guai guai crawl back home to "turn over a new leaf"

hopeful
26-12-13, 16:18

Refer to this website :

maybe using figures easier to understand:
Initially (H)usband & (W)ife has CPF $50k each.
H & W buy HDB each contribute $16k via CPF to buy for $X.
after divorce, judge say no refund of H's CPF monies.

sell HDB for $Y.

after selling HDB, what does H & W get? What is H & W owing to CPF?

a)
H have 50-16 = $34k left. still owe CPF $16k accrued.
W received cash X-Y-16. $16k goes back to CPF. no more CPF accrued.

b)
H have 50-16 = $34. no more accrued to CPF.
W received cash X-Y-16-16. $16k goes back to her CPF and $16k to pay back H's CPF.

irisng
26-12-13, 16:24
My friend's husband, left my friend and their 3 young children on the 1st day of CNY with a PRC. In fact, she knew that her husband has someone outside but just kept quiet in order to hold on to the family but never expect that without any sign, she woke up in the morning and realized that her husband was gone. When she was young, she had 2 choices, one was an handsome, tall and fair educated S'porean man with good stable white collar job and the other one was a Malaysian selling vegetables in the market, very dark, not handsome. But I think it could be due to the strictness of the family background of her 1st boyfriend that she could not take it, everything also have rules and regulations at home, so she chose the 2nd one. So young ladies, if you are given such a choice, choose carefully. I think all these are fated wan leh.

玉格格
26-12-13, 16:30
My friend's husband, left my friend and their 3 young children on the 1st day of CNY with a PRC. Without any sign, she woke up in the morning and realized that her husband was gone. When she was young, she had 2 choices, one was an handsome, tall and fair educated S'porean man with good stable white collar job and the other one was a Malaysian selling vegetables in the market, very dark, not handsome. But I think it could be due to the strictness of the family background of her 1st boyfriend that she could not take it, everything also have rules and regulations at home, so she chose the 2nd one. So young ladies, if you are given such a choice, choose carefully. I think all these are fated wan leh.

aiya, marriage tis kinda thing where got guarantee one? if got, I will make sure Im heavily insured b4 I even marry! :p

and when a marriage failed, u cant juz blame 1 party, the "victim" has some responsibility for the spouse's infidelity as well.

I suppose as a woman, since u cant prevent a failed marriage, I would rather she be independent.
dun ever rely on a man simply becos he can provide. when he leaves, u lose everything.

princess_morbucks
26-12-13, 16:43
and when a marriage failed, u cant juz blame 1 party, the "victim" has some responsibility for the spouse's infidelity as well.

:eek: OMG!
No spouse should be responsible for the other's infidelity!

No matter how bad the spouse is, infidelity of the other half is inexcusable!!!!

irisng
26-12-13, 16:45

That I agree, it needs both hands to clap. But why is it that most of the times is the man has extramarital affair leh. Men always have excuses, say my wife this and my wife that, then there will be reasons for them to go out and 'wu kao'. Sorry, I'm not referring to all the men, of course there are men who are also very responsible and sensible type, never get himself involve with another lady although they find their wives at times very unreasonable.:D

玉格格
26-12-13, 16:46
:eek: OMG!
No spouse should be responsible for the other's infidelity!

No matter how bad the spouse is, infidelity of the other half is inexcusable!!!!

if spouse A cheated, spouse A is wrong. but does tat mean spouse B is without any fault/responsibility?

玉格格
26-12-13, 16:51
That I agree, it needs both hands to clap. But why is it that most of the times is the man has extramarital affair leh. Men always have excuses, say my wife this and my wife that, then there will be reasons for them to go out and 'wu kao'. Sorry, I'm not referring to all the men, of course there are men who are also very responsible and sensible type, never get himself involve with another lady although they find their wives at times very unreasonable.:D

I hv heard of numerous stories of women who cheated too ...
perhaps the % of men who stray is higher as compared to women cos there is more temptation?
eg if a men is loaded, there will be tonnes of young vixen waiting to bait him, but I hear lesser of small white face baiting for rich ladies, haha :D

if u love yr spouse very much, less likely to stray bah ...

actually the thought of facing a person for the rest of yr life can be quite frightening if u dun love the person :scared-1:

玉格格
26-12-13, 17:01
ask u all a qn.
if say one day u discovered tat yr spouse has cheated (either hv a lover or another family outside) but din leave u & yr children, will u initate a divorce?

irisng
26-12-13, 17:24
I hv heard of numerous stories of women who cheated too ...
perhaps the % of men who stray is higher as compared to women cos there is more temptation?
eg if a men is loaded, there will be tonnes of young vixen waiting to bait him, but I hear lesser of small white face baiting for rich ladies, haha :D

In this case, it will be the lonely rich women bait the young white face , haha, I think I watch too many dramas already.

if u love yr spouse very much, less likely to stray bah ...

actually the thought of facing a person for the rest of yr life can be quite frightening if u dun love the person :scared-1:

Is true also but one of my friends can do that, I really salute to her. Her husband is not rich but still have 'outside' lady likes him leh. Her husband wanted to divorce with her but after checking with the lawyer, he changed his mind, so now, he treats their home like hotel and his wife, that's my friend like his maid. After staying outside for few days, came back with dirty clothing and then just threw them in the toilet for his wife to wash. Need to serve him with rice if he is at home.:doh: They never talk to each other, if there is anything needed, it goes thru their sons. Is actually very tough for my friend, so now she thought of applying another flat with her sons, but cannot right? unless they are divorced.

irisng
26-12-13, 17:37
ask u all a qn.
if say one day u discovered tat yr spouse has cheated (either hv a lover or another family outside) but din leave u & yr children, will u initate a divorce?

Actually I don't know what will I do if this really happens to me also. But now what I can say is if he still take care of my family and my children, spend more time with us, I can just close one eye but this is my current thinking only, if really happens, don't know whether my current thinking still valid or not. :D but most likely, I will not ask for divorce unless I have found another one.:D. I mean if I'm still young lah. If on the selfish side, why want to 便宜 the other side, hold on to it lah.:D

玉格格
26-12-13, 18:48
In this case, it will be the lonely rich women bait the young white face , haha, I think I watch too many dramas already.

Is true also but one of my friends can do that, I really salute to her. Her husband is not rich but still have 'outside' lady likes him leh. Her husband wanted to divorce with her but after checking with the lawyer, he changed his mind, so now, he treats their home like hotel and his wife, that's my friend like his maid. After staying outside for few days, came back with dirty clothing and then just threw them in the toilet for his wife to wash. Need to serve him with rice if he is at home.:doh: They never talk to each other, if there is anything needed, it goes thru their sons. Is actually very tough for my friend, so now she thought of applying another flat with her sons, but cannot right? unless they are divorced.

some men hv a way wif women, even though they arent young, rich or handsome.

how come yr fwen dun wan to apply for a divorce on her part leh?

princess_morbucks
26-12-13, 19:18
ask u all a qn.

Depends.......
If my spouse depends on me financially, then divorce.
If my spouse is a rich tycoon, then I would have expected it out of him.

irisng
26-12-13, 19:56
some men hv a way wif women, even though they arent young, rich or handsome.

how come yr fwen dun wan to apply for a divorce on her part leh?

I think partly because of the law, if the wife initiates it, she won't get any compensation/allowance but if her husband initiates it, then he has to pay some compensation or allowance to his wife and support the children till they reach a certain age, that's why he also withdraw. Secondly, her children was still young, though she never talk to her husband but her husband still cares for the children and helped up with some of the manual work at home eg electrical etc. 要孩子不要老婆.

onglai
27-12-13, 08:52
when we hear of divorce cases, looks like public opinion is already against the man.

watever it is, the judge decision is not based on public opinion.

but i oso think his man is a chow guniang. run road n let the wife bear the debt.
now come back n fight with the wife for the flat.

this kind of man, deserve nothin in life!

Cupcakes
27-12-13, 09:45
that's why sg woman go for ang moh?

onglai
27-12-13, 10:02

most likely.. angmo no happy just divorce.. wont wait for 20years.

:D:D

heehee
27-12-13, 12:49
May be women here can help to answer why more SG women now go for Ang Mo? Nowsaday they also not richer, so why?

Cupcakes
27-12-13, 13:02
May be women here can help to answer why more SG women now go for Ang Mo? Nowsaday they also not richer, so why?

All my GF never go for ang moh and i dun like ang moh and i duno why people like to say sg woman like to go for ang moh and i duno who i can go ask. :mad: i go open my eyes big big i only see pinoy and thai gals like ang moh. so why sg man dun say thai gals like ang mo???!!! WHYYYYYY????!!!!!

玉格格
27-12-13, 13:06

dunno, mayb they feel ang mohs more romantic?
but I cannot accept, diff races, diff cultural background :o

玉格格
27-12-13, 13:08
I think partly because of the law, if the wife initiates it, she won't get any compensation/allowance but if her husband initiates it, then he has to pay some compensation or allowance to his wife and support the children till they reach a certain age, that's why he also withdraw. Secondly, her children was still young, though she never talk to her husband but her husband still cares for the children and helped up with some of the manual work at home eg electrical etc. 要孩子不要老婆.

oh, u mean wifey cannot get alimony by sueing for adultery ar?

hopeful
27-12-13, 13:41
watever it is, the judge decision is not based on public opinion.

but i oso think his man is a chow guniang. run road n let the wife bear the debt.
now come back n fight with the wife for the flat.

this kind of man, deserve nothin in life!

how can wife bear the HDB debt?
CPF contribution by man is 9x those by the wife.
in those days, people only use their CPF to pay for HDB loan.
where got use cash one?
even if wife become cleaner, also have CPF, also pay HDB by CPF.
so definitely HDB is 90% paid by the man.

Most people think the judge is right to give the whole flat to the woman.
My thinking is the judge give only because the flat is fully paid for.
What if there still is a 70% HDB loan left on the flat?
Do you think the judge's decision will be the same?
Assign the entire flat (and HDB loan) to the wife?

onglai
27-12-13, 14:06
how can wife bear the HDB debt?
CPF contribution by man is 9x those by the wife.
in those days, people only use their CPF to pay for HDB loan.
where got use cash one?
even if wife become cleaner, also have CPF, also pay HDB by CPF.
so definitely HDB is 90% paid by the man.

Most people think the judge is right to give the whole flat to the woman.
My thinking is the judge give only because the flat is fully paid for.
What if there still is a 70% HDB loan left on the flat?
Do you think the judge's decision will be the same?
Assign the entire flat (and HDB loan) to the wife?

actually i dont quite understand your concern.. do u mean since the man paid for 90% of the flat, he shd be entitled to the majority share of the flat?

princess_morbucks
27-12-13, 14:24
actually i dont quite understand your concern.. do u mean since the man paid for 90% of the flat, he shd be entitled to the majority share of the flat?

I think hopeful feels that the man is short changed.
He is putting himself in the man's shoes.
Perhaps, he feels that the man should at least get back what he had contributed to the flat in the past.

RCT
27-12-13, 14:38
Perhaps, he feels that the man should at least get back what he had contributed to the flat in the past.

Then who should pay back the youth and life of the woman? This guy just walk away for 20 years. And this lady take care of this man daughter for 20 years single-handed. Who going to pay back.. Shameless and useless man.. Still darn to ask for money. The judge should ask this man to pay back the life of this woman who he vow to protect and love during ROM but in the end fail to do so.

hopeful
27-12-13, 14:58

actually i am more concerned about the judge's actions.
1) how does one calculate indirect contributions? how does one calculate non-monetary contributions?

2) when a judge take into his own hands to define what is "just and equitable", then a lot of things is very much open to a judge's discretion and intepretation.
3) and when he say the decision was based on unique circumstances. so just by saying unique circumstances he apply his own definition of "just and equitable".
let's face it, every divorce is unique.
so each judge will give unique decisions because every divorce is unique?

hopeful
27-12-13, 15:07
would the man be better off asking for divorce when he left the family 19 years ago?

19 years ago, would the judge give him at least partial proceeds from the asset division, sale of HDB?
remember he pay 90% of HDB. and the accumulated non-financial contributions from the spouse 19 years ago would not be so great.

why didnt he?
sometimes people do things for stupid reason like he "wanted his wife and daughter to have the comfort of home to live in".

hopeful
27-12-13, 15:19
what if 19 years ago the 2 divorce, the flat is split 50-50. The man's share goes from 90% to 50%. The man then buy over the woman's share, now 100% belong to the man.

The man let the woman and daughter stay in the flat, rent free.
The woman pay for the renovations, utilities,household expenses and plus other intangible contributions.

after 19 years, would the woman still have a claim on the flat?

does a tenant paying rent have a claim on property ownership?

By the judge's action, husbands will now act swiftly for divorce proceedings. There will be less chances for getting back together because one year delay is one year more of intangible contributions.

玉格格
27-12-13, 15:22
would the man be better off asking for divorce when he left the family 19 years ago?

19 years ago, would the judge give him at least partial proceeds from the asset division, sale of HDB?
remember he pay 90% of HDB. and the accumulated non-financial contributions from the spouse 19 years ago would not be so great.

why didnt he?
sometimes people do things for stupid reason like he "wanted his wife and daughter to have the comfort of home to live in".

if a person really feel tis way, he will volunteer to give the flat to the wifey even in the case of divorce.

anyway I tot tat there is a law saying tat if u occupy yr landlord hse for dunno how many yrs, can apply for ownership, something liddat?

onglai
27-12-13, 15:23

why didnt he?

if he filed for divorce then, the hdb probably cost 100-150k? assume fully paid then, and let's say the judge decide 50-50. he take back 75k, but then he will have to pay maintenance.. say $500/month. if u add these up over the years. he is not any better off.

hopeful
27-12-13, 15:26
if a person really feel tis way, he will volunteer to give the flat to the wifey even in the case of divorce.

anyway I tot tat there is a law saying tat if u occupy yr landlord hse for dunno how many yrs, can apply for ownership, something liddat?

that has been repealed. no more squatter rights (adverse possesion). unless have grandfather rights which i take it to mean you have fulfil the number of years of squatting before the law takes effect.

anyway, you need to register your squatter's right before landlord sell it away.
once landlord sell it away before you register your rights, you lose your squatter's rights.
see this case in singapore
http://www.singaporelaw.sg/sglaw/laws-of-singapore/case-law/free-law/high-court-judgments/15177-fragrance-realty-pte-ltd-v-rangoon-investment-pte-ltd-and-others-2013-sghc-70

玉格格
27-12-13, 15:39
hopeful,
actually is yr concern tat the verdict is unfair to guys?

wat if today the story changed. the wifey run road wif lover, abandoning children n husband.

now come back say wan to sell hse.

wat will be yr stand den?

hopeful
27-12-13, 16:22
hopeful,

wat if today the story changed. the wifey run road wif lover, abandoning children n husband.

the same thing applies, wife should have share if she contribute to the purchase of the house.

my concern is more with the judge. with 1 stroke of pen and his whim, he demolishes the property rights of a person, which is what is troubling.

if there need to be a formula, then let there be a formula on asset division so everybody can know where they stand with regards to divorce proceedings.

we have formula for taxes, stamp duties, so why can't we have a formula for asset division. lets quantity the intangibles.

玉格格
27-12-13, 16:26
the same thing applies, wife should have share if she contribute to the purchase of the house.

my concern is more with the judge. with 1 stroke of pen and his whim, he demolishes the property rights of a person, which is what is troubling.

if there need to be a formula, then let there be a formula on asset division so everybody can know where they stand with regards to divorce proceedings.

we have formula for taxes, stamp duties, so why can't we have a formula for asset division. lets quantity the intangibles.

Im quite confident tat whatever amt tat a spouse has contributed fm cpf has to be refunded. so I believe in tis case, the flat is being awarded to the wife, n she has to sell it. afterwhich the hubby's contribution is returned to cpf and the wifey gets all of the remaining.

onglai
27-12-13, 16:48

"When he took steps to divorce her last year, the issue of dealing with their joint asset and maintenance came up for a decision.
District Judge Sowaran Singh ruled in June the flat was to be handed over to Madam Wee and with no order as to maintenance.

his share of the flat already contra with maintenance leow.

irisng
27-12-13, 22:17
I don't know much about the law but isn't it there is a law to protect the woman. I know of a case, the husband wanted to divorce, so his wife demanded for his car and the private condo, he gave all to her. So I was wondering how about his CPF, isn't it that he needs to put back his CPF should the condo be sold later on?

irisng
27-12-13, 22:27
oh, u mean wifey cannot get alimony by sueing for adultery ar?

要捉奸在床 mah but I think she didn't have the proof.

玉格格
27-12-13, 22:31
I don't know much about the law but isn't it there is a law to protect the woman. I know of a case, the husband wanted to divorce, so his wife demanded for his car and the private condo, he gave all to her. So I was wondering how about his CPF, isn't it that he needs to put back his CPF should the condo be sold later on?

isnt there a women charter?
i noe many guys very buay song wif it due to the protection given to women wor.

pte im not sure but if is hdb nid to sell.

sometimes feel tat ppl is so funny.
marry tat time merge all assets. part tat time everything oso calculative.

Lav123
28-12-13, 08:21

That's human, though not all but should say majority are like that. When in good terms, everything also can but when relationship goes sour, all the promises also gone especially when it involves a large amount of money.

princess_morbucks
28-12-13, 09:47

You can refer to this website :

(general)

(wrt pte ppty)

proud owner
28-12-13, 23:35
hopeful,

do you guys remember a case ... this woman ran away with his bf ... without divorcing ....

the husband after many years wanted to sell the HDB ,,,but not approved cos SHE is still the coowner ... but the husband couldn't find her ,,, and shes not contactable ...

so jialat

I think our law is definitely UNFAIR to the guys

proud owner
28-12-13, 23:38

NOT PEOPLE ...its the women who want to merge assets ...

if the men don't agree ... then he can forget abt marrying her

women tend to judge love base on assets ... no trust = no love

so men L L

in the end men usually lose out

women need to know that the charter protects them ...

some day the same can happen to their sons ... only then they will understand how unfair the law is

Cupcakes
29-12-13, 12:54
do you guys remember a case ... this woman ran away with his bf ... without divorcing ....

the husband after many years wanted to sell the HDB ,,,but not approved cos SHE is still the coowner ... but the husband couldn't find her ,,, and shes not contactable ...

so jialat

Some countries, All asset accumulated after marriage have to split into half. which one u prefer?

玉格格
29-12-13, 13:16

so jialat

maybe I'm not old enuff to noe tis case :o

but do u mean to say if a hubby run road a wifey can sell the hse even though the co-owner is not contactable?
if yes, the law is bias wor.

玉格格
29-12-13, 13:22
NOT PEOPLE ...its the women who want to merge assets ...

if the men don't agree ... then he can forget abt marrying her

women tend to judge love base on assets ... no trust = no love

so men L L

in the end men usually lose out

women need to know that the charter protects them ...

some day the same can happen to their sons ... only then they will understand how unfair the law is

not all women ba, cos I dun nid my spouse to merge assets wif me, but I expect his assets to be able to match me :p

onglai
30-12-13, 09:25

so jialat

actually same as the case in this thread, if there is no divorce, the wife oso cannot sell the flat without the husband's approval as the husband is the co-tenant.

but i agree with you that court rulings always give more favour to the woman one...

hopeful
30-12-13, 11:39
cursory reading of the case.
http://www.singaporelawwatch.sg/slw/index.php/component/cck/?task=download&file=attached_document&id=34503&utm_source=web%20subscription&utm_medium=web&src=judgments

anybody here keep receipts that are more than 5 years old?
or more specifically, renovation receipts, households receipts etc that are more than 5 years old?
do you even keep your credit card bills more than a year?
especially if one moved house?

i must say well done to the woman for long term planning. she kept her receipts for years whereas the man doesnt.
she is keeping the receipts (documentary evidence) for some eventuality. revenge is indeed a dish best served cold.

the guy didnt asked/didnt keep receipt when he pay for household, renovation expenses. when as a husband, you give stuff and money to the wive, do you ask for receipts? No we dont.

there is one aspect of the ruling which i have difficulty understanding. the judge didnt consider the time value of money nor the replacement cost of the flat.
the purchase price of flat is only $41k.according to wife, total renovation over the years cost $89k. renovation cost > flat cost?

if bring the expenses to Present Value (PV) using inflatior CPI, the husband's share would be much more since flat PV value > renovation PV.

Yeah, ruling tends to go against the male, since the judge can pick and choose factors to favour the female.

i would rather prefer a formulaic approach to divorce cases.

玉格格
30-12-13, 11:43
anybody here keep receipts that are more than 5 years old?
or more specifically, renovation receipts, households receipts etc that are more than 5 years old?
do you even keep your credit card bills more than a year?

I still hv my cr card statements > 5yrs ago wif all receipts, Telco billings from 2008 etc.
finished bank book I hv abt 10 of them.

hopeful
30-12-13, 11:58
I still hv my cr card statements > 5yrs ago wif all receipts, Telco billings from 2008 etc.
finished bank book I hv abt 10 of them.

wow, really long term planning.

you planning to fight with your siblings for your parents' inheritance?
since you stay with your parents, can always argue that you bear the major cost to upkeep your parents and you have documentary evidence to proof it.

玉格格
30-12-13, 12:01
wow, really long term planning.

you planning to fight with your siblings for your parents' inheritance?
since you stay with your parents, can always argue that you bear the major cost to upkeep your parents and you have documentary evidence to proof it.

is 职业病 :tongue3:
my sib stay wif my parents too.
it will be very pathetic if one hv to fight for his parents' inheritance :47:

hopeful
30-12-13, 12:10
my sib stay wif my parents too.
it will be very pathetic if one hv to fight for his parents' inheritance :47:

hopefully your sibling dont keep receipts, bills then.

do you keep the physical paper or electronic format?

onglai
30-12-13, 12:16

u karang guni ah?

玉格格
30-12-13, 12:19
hopefully your sibling dont keep receipts, bills then.

do you keep the physical paper or electronic format?

my parents r not rich ppl, hence u cant really see siblings fighting.

perhaps as children will feel buay song if they din spilt equally but the resentment is more for the unfair treatment tat hurts rather den getting lesser physical $.

anyway since young someone hv been liddat so I hv learnt not to depend on my parents for $.
if I wan $ I will earn it on my own.
I hv been working part time since poly days n till today I still hold 2 jobs even though Im not short of $.

Im keeping the hard copy.

玉格格
30-12-13, 12:22
u karang guni ah?

guess wrongly. karang guni dun kept hard copy de
anyway I hv a habit of horde things :o but I will throw b4 I move la.

irisng
30-12-13, 12:32
Me too, I also keep:D. When I shifted to my current place (stay here for 15 yrs already), my old house receipts also followed me, that means the receipts is almost 30yrs old:D. I just threw away my old house receipts last year. Keeping receipts are for reference as to what we buy, where we buy and how much we pay for the renovation etc, not for reimbursement lah. Like what was mentioned earlier, is 职业病. I also kept all my finished bank books, bank and credit cards statement & CPF statements in paper form, only recently I saved it into my thumb drive but still keep at least 1 year paper form in my file, so my house is full of files.:D

玉格格
30-12-13, 12:35
Me too, I also keep:D. When I shifted to my current place (stay here for 15 yrs already), my old house receipts also followed me, that means the receipts is almost 30yrs old:D. I just threw away my old house receipts last year. Keeping receipts are for reference as to what we buy, where we buy and how much we pay for the renovation etc, not for reimbursement lah. Like what was mentioned earlier, is 职业病. I also kept all my finished bank books, bank and credit cards statement & CPF statements in paper form, only recently I saved it into my thumb drive but still keep at least 1 year paper form in my file, so my house is full of files.:D

wahaha ... yalor, sometimes nid to refer back n see wat we spent decades ago hor :D

now I noe y my memory is so gd liao ... dee dee revise :D

onglai
30-12-13, 12:41
seems like this is a girls thing... my wife oso file all the receipts etc...

玉格格
30-12-13, 12:44
seems like this is a girls thing... my wife oso file all the receipts etc...

nope, is diff ...
the receipts tat yr wifey filed is to set aside evidence of yr spendthrift habits so tat she can argue better when quarrel wif u :p :cheers1:

irisng
30-12-13, 12:47
You all will be surprised, till now I still have my old house photos. My agent took it for us when we wanted to sell the house :D. Is a memory, isn't it?

玉格格
30-12-13, 12:49
You all will be surprised, till now I still have my old house photos. My agent took it for us when we wanted to sell the house :D. Is a memory, isn't it?

u will be even more surprised. I still hv the pianica tat my dad bought for me when I was in lower pri :scared-1:

onglai
30-12-13, 13:08
u will be even more surprised. I still hv the pianica tat my dad bought for me when I was in lower pri :scared-1:

now i know why parents always ask their dotter to get married fast... coz dont even have space to kiao kar while watching tv!

:simmering::simmering::simmering:

玉格格
30-12-13, 13:19
now i know why parents always ask their dotter to get married fast... coz dont even have space to kiao kar while watching tv!

:simmering::simmering::simmering:

it is precisely parents nid to kiao kar when watching tv tats where dotters de piles n piles of banking statements come in handy mah :cheers5:

irisng
30-12-13, 14:52

Haha, my mother bought a wooden animal beads necklace for me when I was in Pr 3 from Kushu island. Only a few years back, I passed it to my daughter but she cut it off and took out the animals.:doh: