PDA

View Full Version : "White" flight syndrome brewing in Singapore?

Kokono
18-12-13, 08:20
I wonder how many fellow forummers share my sentiments below:

After reading into all the various socio-econo-political news that had taken place during the post 2008-2009 recession years of 2009 to current, I cannot help to conclude that the recent boom in mass market PC and EC is akin to white flight syndrome that had taken place in US cities over the last 50 years.

My worry is that government's recent relentless encouragement of EC and mass market PC sales is also laying the foundation for future social problems that US cities with white flight syndrome are already experiencing.

When I wrote "white" flight, I do not mean Caucasians fleeing en mass from HDB heartlands to their private enclaves of mass market PC or EC.

I mean the relatively well to do heartlanders who cannot wait to grab the first opportunity to escape from all the social problems that are taking place in living in HDB environment.

To be fair, HDB has done a marvelous job in building affordable homes for everyone Singaporeans.

But I felt that problems such as loan shark disturbances, vandalisms in car-parks, rowdy neighbors, foreign talents enclaves forming in HDB flats may have contributed strongly to the reasons where HDB families who has the financial meas, to seize their chance now to escape to all the new mass market PC or EC launches so that they can live among their own creed, in peace and comfort.

The social divide and tensions between the HDB dwellers and PC/EC dwellers may widen in the years to come.

teddybear
18-12-13, 08:49
My comments:

"I felt that problems such as loan shark disturbances, vandalisms in car-parks, rowdy neighbors, foreign talents enclaves forming in HDB flats may have contributed strongly to the reasons where HDB families who has the financial meas, to seize their chance now to escape to all the new mass market PC or EC launches so that they can live among their own creed, in peace and comfort."

Mass market PC or EC means no social problem? Not true lah, just less, depending on where the estate is and what kind of residents are living in there etc.

If you want very high chance of no social problem, buy those properties selling at >$2400 psf and absolute quantum >$2.5m ones usually quite safe (not those >$2400 psf but absolute price $1m MM !!!)................ :p

I wonder how many fellow forummers share my sentiments below:

After reading into all the various socio-econo-political news that had taken place during the post 2008-2009 recession years of 2009 to current, I cannot help to conclude that the recent boom in mass market PC and EC is akin to white flight syndrome that had taken place in US cities over the last 50 years.

My worry is that government's recent relentless encouragement of EC and mass market PC sales is also laying the foundation for future social problems that US cities with white flight syndrome are already experiencing.

When I wrote "white" flight, I do not mean Caucasians fleeing en mass from HDB heartlands to their private enclaves of mass market PC or EC.

I mean the relatively well to do heartlanders who cannot wait to grab the first opportunity to escape from all the social problems that are taking place in living in HDB environment.

To be fair, HDB has done a marvelous job in building affordable homes for everyone Singaporeans.

But I felt that problems such as loan shark disturbances, vandalisms in car-parks, rowdy neighbors, foreign talents enclaves forming in HDB flats may have contributed strongly to the reasons where HDB families who has the financial meas, to seize their chance now to escape to all the new mass market PC or EC launches so that they can live among their own creed, in peace and comfort.

The social divide and tensions between the HDB dwellers and PC/EC dwellers may widen in the years to come.

indomie
18-12-13, 08:49
Is HDB living really that bad?

teddybear
18-12-13, 08:53
Heard from some people, getting from bad to worst, not with HDB maintenance of the estate but with the quality / characters / behaviors of the people living in the estate. Even the young ones can be seen sniffing glues in the void deck! :scared-1:
Also, recently many cases of killer littering etc!
Maintenance also not so good, dead cockroaches all over the place, cleaners as though come once a week to sweep floor instead of everyday, is this a matter of cost-cutting at work? :rolleyes:

taggy
18-12-13, 09:14
Heard from some people, getting from bad to worst, not with HDB maintenance of the estate but with the quality / characters / behaviors of the people living in the estate. Even the young ones can be seen sniffing glues in the void deck! :scared-1:
Maintenance also not so good, dead cockroaches all over the place, cleaners as though come once a week to sweep floor instead of everyday, is this a matter of cost-cutting at work? :rolleyes:

got so bad or not, why all these not in the town councils report?

solsys
18-12-13, 09:21
The newer estates, i.e. BTOs with residents still serving MOP are fine.

We, Singaporeans just got to keep moving, e.g. frustrated staying in mature HDB blocks then move to new BTO ones. If it's not possible to buy because we are no longer 1st or 2nd timer buyer of HDB then upgrade to PC.

For those who don't keep up or upgrade then they can help will bridge the gap between Singaporeans and our new fellow immigrant citizens and PRs in the matured resale HDBs.

It's tiring and exhausting, but security and progress comes at a price, i.e. new immigrants to prop up the economy.

P.S: Someone needs to do the jobs which the 'indigenous' Singaporeans aka old immigrants doesn't want to do.

teddybear
18-12-13, 09:29
Don't think town councils report cover "quality / characters / behaviors of the people living in the estate" and whether "young ones can be seen sniffing glues in the void deck!"? :beats-me-man:

And the report also won't say how frequent the cleaners come to sweep the floor right? :p

got so bad or not, why all these not in the town councils report?

Kokono
18-12-13, 09:44
I agree with you that moving onto EC or mass market PC does not mean there will be no problem there. It is just that the chance of the common HDB neighbourly issues occurring is much much reduced in condos. But there certainly will be new issues that are more unique to EC or PC environment.

What happened in the US during the "white flight", is the the more affluent 'whites' voted with their feet and moved from the cities to their cozy suburbs because they do not want to live among the influx of blacks and immigrants what are then moving into the cities. The cities, now emptied of the middle and/or higher income level residents, will then begin the slow decay. (Eg Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia)

I worry is that the recent years of huge demand EC and mass market PC should also be reflections of the penned up demand for the more affluent HDB heartlanders to vote with their feet and move away to form their own cozy enclaves.

The HDB they left behind are now more crowded with the less affluent heartlanders, new Singaporens, foreign talents, the aged and the sick. My worry is the social problems, crime, proverty will become more acute in the heartlands and the slow neighbourhood decay process will then begin.

My comments:

"I felt that problems such as loan shark disturbances, vandalisms in car-parks, rowdy neighbors, foreign talents enclaves forming in HDB flats may have contributed strongly to the reasons where HDB families who has the financial meas, to seize their chance now to escape to all the new mass market PC or EC launches so that they can live among their own creed, in peace and comfort."

Mass market PC or EC means no social problem? Not true lah, just less, depending on where the estate is and what kind of residents are living in there etc.

If you want very high chance of no social problem, buy those properties selling at >$2400 psf and absolute quantum >$2.5m ones usually quite safe (not those >$2400 psf but absolute price $1m MM !!!)................ :p

bargain hunter
18-12-13, 09:49
recently been a quantum game rite? so doesn't matter the psf liao.

>2.5m seems a good gauge. anything above 2.5m a lot knocked out liao after the july TDSR.

My comments:

bargain hunter
18-12-13, 09:50
not really. in estates where hdb flats are 800k and above, surely, still not too bad.

teddybear
18-12-13, 09:58
The $psf definitely matters!

You can buy a penthouse of $3m at $800 psf, but all the other units in your estate are selling at about $800 psf and their absolute value is about $0.8m-$1.3m. So what kind of neighbours are you surrounded with? :p

That is why I say $PSF very important but must combine with Absolute quantum! :ashamed1:

recently been a quantum game rite? so doesn't matter the psf liao.

>2.5m seems a good gauge. anything above 2.5m a lot knocked out liao after the july TDSR.

bargain hunter
18-12-13, 10:24
that's true. correct me if i'm wrong, but outside of CCR and D15, i doubt there are many apartments which can transact at $3m after July. :ashamed1:

The $psf definitely matters!

You can buy a penthouse of $3m at $800 psf, but all the other units in your estate are selling at about $800 psf and their absolute value is about $0.8m-$1.3m. So what kind of neighbours are you surrounded with? :p

That is why I say $PSF very important but must combine with Absolute quantum! :ashamed1:

august
18-12-13, 12:36
Private condos can also have social problems when certain enclaves are formed.

princess_morbucks
18-12-13, 13:01
Private condos can also have social problems when certain enclaves are formed.

Generally, the ones staying in condos are more aware of the law of the country and the bylaws of the condo.

teddybear
18-12-13, 13:22
because they are better educated or at least more educated / smarter enough to make more money to enjoy better condos? :p

Generally, the ones staying in condos are more aware of the law of the country and the bylaws of the condo.

teddybear
18-12-13, 13:24
Make sure your unit is in an estate surround by say >90% of units that costs >$2m per unit could be quite safe? :p

that's true. correct me if i'm wrong, but outside of CCR and D15, i doubt there are many apartments which can transact at $3m after July. :ashamed1:

minority
18-12-13, 15:41

many is wat? many is 10% 20% 30% 40%? or 1% of HDB population are killer litter ?

again use big generalized words..MANY… I can also say these days MANY keyboard warriors online talk cock a lot. Many Many are talking cock coz its anonymous and no responsibility of what shit come out of their mouth.

teddybear
18-12-13, 17:29
Isn't it the same to people like you, because anonymous and no responsibility of what shit come out of your mouth and that is why can keep using vulgar words and indecent words? If you are not anonymous, I would have sued you for your use of vulgar words on me! :hell-hath-no-fury:

many is wat? many is 10% 20% 30% 40%? or 1% of HDB population are killer litter ?

again use big generalized words..MANY… I can also say these days MANY keyboard warriors online talk cock a lot. Many Many are talking cock coz its anonymous and no responsibility of what shit come out of their mouth.

lajia
18-12-13, 19:10
My comments:

I'm sorry but to say that this is a ridiculous comment, somebody trying to link wealth to personal character, implying the rich are having mostly good upbringing.....totally nonsense!!!

Haven't we seen enough of some fighting over family wealth, fighting over car park space, bad upbringing, etc??

一种米养百种人。。。
There will always be good among your so called bad and bad among your so called good....come on, please wake up. I can't believe this comment can come from any educated breed.....
No hard feeling, this is my personal opinion...
:doh:

C&K
18-12-13, 19:12

Statistics in this case is of no use to quell the fear of been injured or getting killed.

The most recent brick throwing incident at Eunos Crescent is of grave concern.

minority
18-12-13, 22:49
Isn't it the same to people like you, because anonymous and no responsibility of what shit come out of your mouth and that is why can keep using vulgar words and indecent words? If you are not anonymous, I would have sued you for your use of vulgar words on me! :hell-hath-no-fury:

Wahhh wow!!!! where vulgar ah? cannot ask for justification of claims? Many ehhh Many hor. when question start to get defensive..

oh Shit is vulgar.... huh? So Fart is vulgar too? Ehhh like tat so MANY words cannot use liao.

Also BTW did I say it was u? why u so defensive u always hide behind ur anonymous anyhow say things?

minority
18-12-13, 22:55
Statistics in this case is of no use to quell the fear of been injured or getting killed.

The most recent brick throwing incident at Eunos Crescent is of grave concern.

1 15yr old Singaporean throw brick. Dont mean every HDB is dangerous. I can agree its rigth to be concern but its not correct to say this happens in MANY HDB.

without facebook publishing everything in everyone face everyday every min. Would statistics be more accurate than Feel i.e. say MANY for example.

coz killer litter problem have been ard for ages . falling flower pot etc. the educating have been going on since the 80s.

So What can this show? We hav not learn at all? or "MANY" HDB was actually dangerous to begin with. ? Again Many is how many? why not use the word SOME?

Sandiwara
19-12-13, 04:41
I'm sorry but to say that this is a ridiculous comment, somebody trying to link wealth to personal character, implying the rich are having mostly good upbringing.....totally nonsense!!!

Haven't we seen enough of some fighting over family wealth, fighting over car park space, bad upbringing, etc??

一种米养百种人。。。
There will always be good among your so called bad and bad among your so called good....come on, please wake up. I can't believe this comment can come from any educated breed.....

Totally Agree.........

iridrium
19-12-13, 07:35
Nothing to argue about.:confused:

The wealth of a person does not determine his character, stay HDB, Condo or Landed, drive QQ, Toyota or Ferrari - all does not matter.

So pls stop generalising over here.

Singapore is too small for this supposed white flight syndrome lah. You can 'fly' here, 'fly' there, end of the day, you are just 45mins from everything else.

C&K
19-12-13, 08:15
1 15yr old Singaporean throw brick. Dont mean every HDB is dangerous. I can agree its rigth to be concern but its not correct to say this happens in MANY HDB.

without facebook publishing everything in everyone face everyday every min. Would statistics be more accurate than Feel i.e. say MANY for example.

coz killer litter problem have been ard for ages . falling flower pot etc. the educating have been going on since the 80s.

So What can this show? We hav not learn at all? or "MANY" HDB was actually dangerous to begin with. ? Again Many is how many? why not use the word SOME?

My own interpretation of Statistics is that it is just a probability prediction tool.
Data collected from a sample population of the subject been studied are then transformed into a bell curve chart which will then show the clutters of the many and few/some chances.

It is not about how many or how few incidents that can be quantified having such a big HDB population.
Even one killer litter is bad enough whether it happens in a HDB estate or from any high rise building.

As to why the education since 80's does not seem to show great results, I would say we are just humans and not robots that can be programmed.
The world today is far from perfect and will never be.

Lighten up, enjoy reading and who knows there are opportunities to learn from these forums too.

Kokono
19-12-13, 08:43
I totally agree with you.

Singapore is too small a country for american style White Flight to take place.

And the wealth of a person definitely does not determine his character.

What I started this forum, my worry is that the unprecedented sales of EC and mass market PC that is encouraged by the government may be solving the problem of rising housing cost on one hand, but may have inadvertently create a "white flight" problem in the years to come.

And I tried my best to describe the Singapore "white flight" problem is totally different from that in USA. Ours is more of a situation where fellow HDB heartlanders, who has the means, are taking this opportunity to forsake their HDB neighbours and all too common problems that are usually found in HDB, and move into a protected environment within the comfort of the high walls of EC / PC compound with 24/7 security guards, their own swimming pool and clubhouse.

While it is true that this upgrading movement of heartlanders have been taking place all the time, the recent large number of EC and mass market PC releases could have made the "hollowing" effect in the HDB heartlands more pronounced.

I do not have the facts and figures on this, but I just hope the relevant authorities are paying attention to this.

Because once an HDB estate has been "hollowed", only the aged, sicked, poor and foreigners will left behind. The estate decay process will be very difficult to reversed. I saw this when I visited some of these matured and aging HDB estate. I could only describe the atmosphere in these estates as gloomy.

Nothing to argue about.:confused:

The wealth of a person does not determine his character, stay HDB, Condo or Landed, drive QQ, Toyota or Ferrari - all does not matter.

So pls stop generalising over here.

Singapore is too small for this supposed white flight syndrome lah. You can 'fly' here, 'fly' there, end of the day, you are just 45mins from everything else.

square
19-12-13, 09:42
I am wondering if there are any statistics to show the percentage of Singaporeans/PR staying in HDB and EC/PC. It will be interesting to see how it has changed over the years.

Although the EC/PC are fenced and gated, I think the proximity to HDB or within the heartland may reduce the effect. People living in EC/pc or landed would still be shopping, dining and hanging out in the same coffee shop, supermarket or mall.

indomie
19-12-13, 09:53
I think this is not a "White" flight syndrome. I think this is demography shift toward aging population. The effect is quite similar.

Kokono
19-12-13, 10:15
I found this graph on Singapore Population living in HDB flats over the years.

http://s28.postimg.org/c1o18ag6x/HDB_flat_ownership.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/c1o18ag6x/)
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10221p.nsf/0/d4a0f107613b79944825766200236310/$FILE/Key%20Statistics.pdf

I knew I remembered in my schooling days in the 1990s where teacher told us more than 85% of the Singaporeans are living in HDB flat.

As the statistics above shows, the % has been decreasing over the last few years when the Singapore population is actually increasing quite rapidly. No wonder I see so many PCs around these days compared to my student days.

I also remembered seeing another chart either from MND or HDB, where iti is forecasted that the % of Singapore living in HDB will reduce further to around 70% by around 2020 or 2030.

I had always feet that back in 1980s to 1990s where the vast majority (85% and above) of Singaporeans are living in HDB flats, HDB flats is like a great social equaliser, because almost everyone is living in the same environment.

But as we progress, the rate of rising wealth across our population is not even, and hence, my worry is, if it comes to a day where 70% of Singaporeans are living in HDB and 30% are living within the fenced and gated private condos with their own swimming pools, club houses and facilities, will Singapore remain as cohesive as before, or the 'hollowing' effect on HDB heartlands will result in a social divide among us.

I am wondering if there are any statistics to show the percentage of Singaporeans/PR staying in HDB and EC/PC. It will be interesting to see how it has changed over the years.

Although the EC/PC are fenced and gated, I think the proximity to HDB or within the heartland may reduce the effect. People living in EC/pc or landed would still be shopping, dining and hanging out in the same coffee shop, supermarket or mall.

square
19-12-13, 12:20
Thanks for the chart. Looks like it is trending downwards like you said.

I think there are also many who chose to live in HDB for various reasons. Not sure if there would be any impact when the % drop to 70% vs 80%, will have to hear from those who are stilll staying in HDB. Maybe it will just be another number......

lajia
19-12-13, 18:40
Why so concern about the % of ppl staying in HDB? If the number increase, means that tax payers are subsidizing more, means that more ppl are still under the bracket that qualify for HDB....not a good sign...

As the society progress economically, theoretically, lesser ppl should qualify for hdb. My opinion.....of course, there are still many many who can stay in private but continue to stay in hdb.....:o

Thanks for the chart. Looks like it is trending downwards like you said.

I think there are also many who chose to live in HDB for various reasons. Not sure if there would be any impact when the % drop to 70% vs 80%, will have to hear from those who are stilll staying in HDB. Maybe it will just be another number......

teddybear
19-12-13, 19:05
Please get your facts right when you reply, and don't put words into my mouth! :tsk-tsk:

I say "no social problems", I didn't say "good personal character", they are 2 different issues.
An estate full of rich people will usually have few, if any, social problems in the estate because these people are most likely to behave themselves, including reining in their kids and servants (to put up a good "look"), hence no social problems!
However, that does not mean that all of them have good noble personal character, which is a totally different things all together!

To live in a condo estate, it is very important to live in an estate with "no social problem"!
We don't want to see vandalisms in car-parks, rowdy neighbors, cheapskate owners who rent out their units and yet come back to hog to use the facilities, we don't want them to be using public toilets to bath and even their maids doing washing there etc! :scared-1:

一种米养百种人。。。

My comments:

teddybear
19-12-13, 20:44
Isn't it the same to people like you, because anonymous and no responsibility of what shit come out of your mouth and that is why can keep using vulgar words and indecent words? If you are not anonymous, I would have sued you for your use of vulgar words on me!

Wahhh wow!!!! where vulgar ah? cannot ask for justification of claims? Many ehhh Many hor. when question start to get defensive..

oh Shit is vulgar.... huh? So Fart is vulgar too? Ehhh like tat so MANY words cannot use liao.

Also BTW did I say it was u? why u so defensive u always hide behind ur anonymous anyhow say things?

Talk until so noble? Pui!

Let's dig up what you wrote previously - These are what you have written and committed:

1) Use of vulgar words that end up become "****" or "xx" or "cock" etc

So if the agent then told her now to sell now drop until no 1 want. Will she still want to **** him?
Moral of story is its own decision. Wat ever out come have to suck it up.

perhaps the current prices are deep too high n peaked. a sharp 20-30% can put some people currently in negative equity very fast. and couple with a job lost. n interest rate hike.
Die Cxxk stand.

I ask u if u understand what the f is a straw poll. did I say anything abt pungol? u are the idiot that bring up.

if you cannot string ur thoughts together its not my problem. u need to go see a doctor. U have serious head damage.

I disapprove ur Kam lanness !. beyond help.

They sound serious and are not joking!

Fighting for internet freedom is like green peace fighting for green environment.

BULL SHIT. This is a attack on singapore no more diff then terrorist. Fright my ass. So do it make it right If I disagree with u I can go ur home and naile the door shut and burn ur car?

wat cock u talking.

Internet Freedom? no freedom meh? Its calling for responsibility for when one make a statement.

so u are saying Is right that I put up a blog side and say I got secret Source that teddy here is actually a Ass Rapist? And I have Photos to proof!! from anonymous sources which cannot tell u.?

Thats freedom ? more like u have a condom on ur head and u cannot see clearly. Cock.

2) Slandering another person to be "racist" (please back up with evidence!), demeaning others and use of indecent words on others as "stupid", "xenophobic biggot", "dumb fool", "dumb ass", "u have a condom on ur head" etc

U stupid racist xenophobic biggot!

What a ramble. when u cannot understand all u can understand is riot.? All culture regardless can riot u dumb fool.

U are such a racist Xenophbic. Get a Life!

learn to connect ur brian. u keep saying riot. and the previous thread start talking abt imported culture of specific group of people. U dumb ass racist.

how stupid can u be. these common facility have high usage. its build into the cost for all the mthly maintenance. The other facility like rooms are lower utilized. some people dont even use it.

so make sense to charge folks who want to use it for cleaning up and power to use it.

complain n complain so typical.

hello stupid..

can u read. a not. u spell out so wat? Its a cost structure. dumb ass.

Either u pay $300 a mth or u want everyone pay $320 a mth. if only 20% of household use the club house. only.?

other facilities utilization are alway much higher.

Stupid fools like u keep kpkb.

Older condo fees are set want to change must pass MCST votes. which increase in price no 1 want to pass it. STUPID :doh::doh::doh::doh:

oh really? creating chaos with mis information is not for government to inform u? So listen to who? dumb ass like u spread rumours?

Its abt those posting responsibility. and taking responsibility for what they post and not just post un verified information labeling as truth.

Truth hurts u stupid.!

3) Slander a country "Malaysia"will screw Singaporeans! This is obviously slander right? Otherwise, please show and provide evidence how "Malaysia" screw Singaporeans?

Dont worry. I have the uttermost trust in the malaysian government to screw singaporean.

4) Slander other country region "Iskandar" as a scam! Really? If people willing to buy, why call them "scam"? Willing seller willing buyer right? Malaysia govt put a gun to their head to buy that is why "scam"?! Really stupid idiotic statement! If you are so sure you are right in your statement, please give evidence, and write to newspapers about it! Give your real names! Don't hide behind anonymous and make slanderous remarks! Ha ha ha!

Iskanda is a scam.

I feel Malaysia esp iskanda is like hotel California.. U can check in but u cannot leave. They stab u with their steely knives, But they just wont't kill the beast ;)

5) Another of those idiotic statement: "Thats why EAST is still the bestest.".
East got pollution from oil refineries and petrochemical plants from Johor's Pasir Gudang heavy industry zone (just like Tuas) just across the Straits nearby, and the Changi Airport, how can be the best?!
Oh by the way, I also know that Meyer and Amber Road area in the East is like another "Little India"!
And also the EAST is the bestest place for 1 thing that you told us: "go prison very near. stone throw away.!"!
Ha ha ha!

But Tanjong Pagar, Brani, Keppel, Pasir Panjang all so near to Bukom with the oil refinery leh.... Even Sentosa so near Bukom....

If you go Keppel, you can see the chimney leh...

Hahahahaha

Thats why EAST is still the bestest.

go prison very near. stone throw away.!

Based on all the facts (here and everywhere else in CondoSingapore), you are the one having a condom on your head because you are the biggest COCK on earth!
And returning what you said: "Truth hurts u stupid.!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next time, please think with your brain (if you have any) and stop making slander and accusations with no facts to back up, You "minority" is a DUMB ASS DUMB COCK RACIST SLANDERER BLOODY IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You only know how to hide behind anonymity to make those stupid comments and cannot stand up to your slanderous comments! You got no balls? Don't even dare to owe up to those slanderous and vulgar/demeaning/indecent statements you made and need me to point out to you?! :rolleyes:

minority
20-12-13, 09:30
LOL!

u mean to imply u are noble? wat a joke. is that all u can do Cut and paste from snippets of conversation?

U are a bloody racist bull shit.. yes I use the WORD SHIT!! pls quote me again. and past in RED.

wat a loser.. YES I USE THE WORK LOSER!!! u can cut it and past it again.

Talk abt anonomity. u are one that keep posting all the bullshit racist xenophobic crap.

go look into the mirror cockernaden.

And yes I stand by my pt that I don't like ISAKANDA and its a SCAM. history repeats itself. CLOB, 1987 policy flip flops , recent hikes targeted at singaporean majority investors just in JB.

u tell me? this is call SLANDER? LOL! pls pls cut and paste my comment in RED again…

Racist xenophobic !