PDA

View Full Version : How the URA’s Masterplan 2013 Will Affect the Property Market

玉格格
27-11-13, 14:16
http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/ura-masterplan-2013-affect-property-market-152253575.html

By now you’ve probably read lots of media reports about the Urban Redevelopment Authority’s (URA) Draft Masterplan 2013, a medium term plan which details statutory land use and guides Singapore’s development over a ten to fifteen year period. In this post I hope to synthesize the different views and look at how the concepts outlined in the Master Plan will affect the property market, and whether it throws up any interesting opportunities.

The changing focus of the Master Plan

The URA’s role is to plan the physical development of Singapore and to optimize the use of the country’s limited land resources. To this end it puts out the Concept Plan, which is a long term strategic land use plan that guides Singapore’s development over a forty to fifty year period, ensuring that Singapore has sufficient land to meet long term population, economic and quality of life goals. It is reviewed every ten years, and the last one was completed in 2011.

Historically, the Master Plan has rendered the broad strategies outlined in the Concept Plan into detailed permissible land use and density plans for developments in Singapore. It is reviewed every five years.

In the Draft Masterplan 2013, the URA is moving away from its previous mostly quantitative role (i.e. mainly looking at plot ratios and land use), and starting to focus on the qualitative aspects of living in Singapore. We can see this shift from the 6 key focuses as stated by the URA:

1. Housing

2. Economy

3. Recreation

4. Identity

5. Transport

6. Public Spaces

Out of the above 6 focuses, we see that half of them (Recreation, Identity, Public Spaces) are focusing more on the intangible and people-centric aspects of living in Singapore, with an aim to boost the quality of life here beyond just the hard aspects of having a comfortable home in a convenient location with good transportation links and facilities.

Decentralization of work will create new market opportunities

One of the trends we’ve been seeing in the recent Master Plans is the decentralization of employment centers to different areas of Singapore, e.g. to Jurong and Paya Lebar, partly as a means to ameliorate the transportation capacity problem of a large part of the population commuting to the CBD to work.

The Master Plan 2013 introduces the North Coast Innovation Corridor, which will see the emergence of the Woodlands Regional Centre, the Punggol Learning Corridor and Creative Cluster. There will also be the gradual development of new industrial estates such as Jalan Bahar, Wenya, Tengah, Lorong Halus and Seletar West.

Where people go to work, so do opportunities to invest in and rent out property. The key for investors is to gauge the speed and commitment of the government to incentivize developments in all the new centers. The irony is that with so many potential centers, there is a diffusion of focus and not all will achieve an equal level of success.

131125 Figure 1 Figure 1: Proposed Holland Village Extension (Source: URA)

My sense is that the centers that are closest to the traditional economic hubs like the CBD and Orchard (e.g. Paya Lebar, Holland Village) have the greatest chance of developing quickly, and consequently have better investment prospects.

No more premium for being “close to the MRT”?

As part of the effort to improve the public transportation system, by 2030 the rail network will double to 360km, and 80% of all homes will be within a 10-minute walk to an MRT station.

Traditionally homes near to an MRT station will usually be able to command a premium to less well connected homes. But if 80% of homes are within a 10-minute walk to the MRT, will this premium still exist?

I believe being near to an MRT station will eventually become less important to which MRT station and line you are near to. Homes near MRT interchanges (where two or more lines cross) will likely command a larger premium. Homes near MRT stations on lines with key business hubs (e.g. the East-West line which has connectivity to the hubs of Jurong, the CBD, Kampong Bugis, Paya Lebar and Tampines) will have better prices and rentals versus other lines which may require multiple transits to get to the key hubs.

Lots of new homes but who will live in them?

131125 Figure 2 Figure 2: Artist’s impression of Marina South urban village (source: URA)

How about new areas like the Greater Southern Waterfront and Marina South? For the former, I believe this will be a very long term development as the southern coastline will only be freed up when the ports move from Pasir Panjang and Tanjong Pagar by 2027 – that’s one or two property cycles away, so no need to worry about it for now. For the latter, the plans to create a car-free environment and community in the Marina South area are interesting. But with nearby developments costing close to $3000 per square foot, will it be a community just for the rich?

Also with an upcoming record completion of homes coming in the next few years that will weigh on the rental and resale markets, and the curbs on foreign workers and slowing population growth weighing on housing demand, will there be enough demand for homes in all of these new areas?

玉格格
27-11-13, 14:20
I disagree tat there will be no more premium for being “close to the MRT”.

80% of all homes can be within a 10-minute walk to an mrt stn. but how many % will be < a 5 mins walk to mrt stn?

lionhill
27-11-13, 14:42

80% of all homes can be within a 10-minute walk to an mrt stn. but how many % will be < a 5 mins walk to mrt stn?

now that you've walked 5 minutes, will you care much about walking 2-3 minutes more?

玉格格
27-11-13, 14:49
now that you've walked 5 minutes, will you care much about walking 2-3 minutes more?

of cos I care!

if I oni walk 2-3mins I wun sweat :47:
if nid to walk 5-6 mins, my forehead will start to sweat :(
if nid to walk 9-10 mins, many parts of my body will start to sweat, hahaha :D

if I oni nid to walk 2-3 mins per trip, my high heels can last me 3 mths. but if I nid to walk 9-10 mins per trip, my high heels can oni last me 1 mth :simmering:

lionhill
27-11-13, 15:26
of cos I care!

if I oni nid to walk 2-3 mins per trip, my high heels can last me 3 mths. but if I nid to walk 9-10 mins per trip, my high heels can oni last me 1 mth :simmering:

Forget you are YU GE GE.

do not forget to exercise ha

eng81157
27-11-13, 15:40
Forget you are YU GE GE.

do not forget to exercise ha

she has chariot bearers!! asking a Ge Ge to walk!!!! off with your head!!

玉格格
27-11-13, 15:43
hello! I walk very fast one ok! :47:
I juz cannot run fast! hahaha :D

thomastansb
27-11-13, 15:48
80% of all homes within 10 mins walk. I really don't think so. It is a myth.

star
27-11-13, 15:49
Maybe someone can change nick to emperor. Lolx.

DC33_2008
27-11-13, 15:52
It is not just about proximity to mrt station which will determine the price of property. A property may suffer from noise pollution if it is just next to a station that is on a vaiduct as compared to another that is below ground. Too close may not be a good thing. :D

玉格格
27-11-13, 15:53
80% of all homes within 10 mins walk. I really don't think so. It is a myth.

the onus lies wif those who r > 10 mins walk to mrt stn to dispute tis statement. but the prob is, making tis type of comment doesn't come wif responsibility one, cos so wat if through an investigation shows tat actually there r 30% still > 10 mins fm the mrt? will the 10% "victims" be compensated bo?

玉格格
27-11-13, 15:54
Maybe someone can change nick to emperor. Lolx.

y is there such a nid leh? lol :o

玉格格
27-11-13, 15:57
It is not just about proximity to mrt station which will determine the price of property. A property may suffer from noise pollution if it is just next to a station that is on a vaiduct as compared to another that is below ground. Too close may not be a good thing. :D

not juz noise pollution, but no privacy as well cos ppl waiting at the platform can peep into yr unit conveniently watching u plucking yr nostril hair, scratching yr pigu :ashamed1:

onglai
27-11-13, 16:05
not juz noise pollution, but no privacy as well cos ppl waiting at the platform can peep into yr unit conveniently watching u plucking yr nostril hair, scratching yr pigu :ashamed1:

actually i will be more interested to see what's on tv..
:D

玉格格
27-11-13, 16:10
actually i will be more interested to see what's on tv..
:D

tat's y ppl say boring ppl will hv boring reaction *yawn*

zeamybro
27-11-13, 16:24
Tenants do not just look at MRT alone, but also proximity to amenities. Personally, I think having amenities like supermarkets, eateries and pharmcies may appeal more to tenants than having a MRT station close by but without any shops.

玉格格
27-11-13, 16:33
Tenants do not just look at MRT alone, but also proximity to amenities. Personally, I think having amenities like supermarkets, eateries and pharmcies may appeal more to tenants than having a MRT station close by but without any shops.

wat's yr definition of having amenities close by?

which one does a tenant prefers?

a) mrt stn right a yr doorstep but amenities is 1 mrt stop away. travelling to amenities by mrt is abt a 2-3 mins ride exclude waiting time.

b) mrt stn is a 10 mins walk while amenities is a 5 mins walk fm yr condo.

DC33_2008
27-11-13, 16:37
Atas angmos only recognise coldstorage. So, fairprice, shengshiong, and shop&save does not help to secure this kind of tenants. :p

玉格格
27-11-13, 16:39
Atas angmos only recognise coldstorage. So, fairprice, shengshiong, and shop&save does not help to secure this kind of tenants. :p

many times, atas tenants drive.
they wun kpkb if the mrt or amenities is a 10 mins walk away ...

DC33_2008
27-11-13, 16:44
Depends. Most angmos will say it is crazy to spend money on a car that requires a COE. It is so expensive to own a car from where they come from. So they do not drive unless they have families here. Otherwise, they will just hail a cab.
many times, atas tenants drive.
they wun kpkb if the mrt or amenities is a 10 mins walk away ...

zeamybro
27-11-13, 17:09
wat's yr definition of having amenities close by?

which one does a tenant prefers?

a) mrt stn right a yr doorstep but amenities is 1 mrt stop away. travelling to amenities by mrt is abt a 2-3 mins ride exclude waiting time.

b) mrt stn is a 10 mins walk while amenities is a 5 mins walk fm yr condo.

I cannot really generalise as different tenants may have different requirements.

Some need the MRT station nearby for them to travel to work, and they will have their dinner or do their groceries near their work place before they head home. Other tenants may have direct buses to their work place so they do not need the MRT, but they would prefer to have eateries/supermarkets nearby so that they do not need to 'travel' just to get a packet of rice or carton of milk.

To share with u my personal experience. I had a short stay at Waterbank which is only 120m away from the MRT, but i actually found it a chore to take the train down to Kallang Leisure park just for food/groceries. On the other hand, when i was staying at Amber (which does not have MRT), I really find it a breeze to walk down to Parkway Parade.

Reisor
27-11-13, 17:19

Many MRT stations have shops providing basic amenities like 7-11, eateries, etc. so these stations have best of both worlds. Courtesy of their previous CEO.
It makes a difference for decision making by tenants as convenience is time saved which also means less cost for them.

Of course, the HNI will not be looking at MRT at all as their wants are different from the average "求财" FT.

DuaNehNehChioBu
27-11-13, 17:46
烂格格

猪格格

Sounds more ATATS :cool:

star
27-11-13, 17:52
I cannot really generalise as different tenants may have different requirements.

Some need the MRT station nearby for them to travel to work, and they will have their dinner or do their groceries near their work place before they head home. Other tenants may have direct buses to their work place so they do not need the MRT, but they would prefer to have eateries/supermarkets nearby so that they do not need to 'travel' just to get a packet of rice or carton of milk.

To share with u my personal experience. I had a short stay at Waterbank which is only 120m away from the MRT, but i actually found it a chore to take the train down to Kallang Leisure park just for food/groceries. On the other hand, when i was staying at Amber (which does not have MRT), I really find it a breeze to walk down to Parkway Parade.

I fully agree on this.

玉格格
27-11-13, 18:41

I fully agree on this.

perhaps amenities can be equally as impt as mrt tats y u see mixed dev near mrt to be so popular.

CCR
27-11-13, 20:35
That's why DUO residences Best?

clemdale24
27-11-13, 22:11

i see you're an eastie. yes the example u provided above is very accurate. i think u need a balance of both. cant have one and not the other. thats why i think good example of this is again, eight riversuites, which im familiar with. boonkeng mrt 300m away, integrated with a hawker centre, market, and convenience shops and banks and fast food.

actually to be honest, i think amber is a rather good area too, although no mrt. its highly accessible by buses, and has a mall (or 2), has a nice park (east coast park), and its considered near to the city (and airport too). well balanced.

relax88
27-11-13, 22:33
of cos I care!

can i sweat it out with you in a tight space:D

love a woman in high heels, jack up that lovely as, so that during doggy could be in better focus

proud owner
28-11-13, 01:26
I would prefer to be closer to amenities than mrt ...

my apt in NYC ... subway station is 1 block away ... while amenities are just across the street ...and 24 hrs .. subway also 24 hrs

in spore mrt stops by what ? midnight ?
while many amenities can be 24 hrs ...

I would want to walk to a deli at 1am to grab supper

I cant take a train at 1am to buy supper right ?

玉格格
28-11-13, 08:48
can i sweat it out with you in a tight space:D

love a woman in high heels, jack up that lovely as, so that during doggy could be in better focus

didi, I am certainly old enuff to be yr mum! hahaha :D

玉格格
28-11-13, 08:59
I would prefer to be closer to amenities than mrt ...

my apt in NYC ... subway station is 1 block away ... while amenities are just across the street ...and 24 hrs .. subway also 24 hrs

in spore mrt stops by what ? midnight ?
while many amenities can be 24 hrs ...

I would want to walk to a deli at 1am to grab supper

I cant take a train at 1am to buy supper right ?

how many resi neighbourhood in sg is near 24hrs amenities?
most amenities close earlier den mrt wor.
even if there r, mostly r 7-11, supermarts, hawkers etc.

sgbuyer
28-11-13, 09:14

From what I've seen, there's plenty of 24hr shops in boonlay/lakeside area that caters to night shift workers. however, not many condos there.

Ringo33
28-11-13, 09:56
I thought some forummers here already start telling people to invest in Paya Lebar, Southern Waterfront along pasir panjang.

But they didnt say where and what exactly to invest though. :)

Ringo33
28-11-13, 10:06
This is exactly the reason why condo like J Gateway is so HOT!!

Commercial hub - checked
Transport hub - checked
Amenities - checked

zeamybro
28-11-13, 10:10

Ya.. mostly are the supermarkets like Cold Storage at Holland, NTUC at Siglap, Balestier etc and all island-wide Sheng Shiongs operate 24hrs .. haha.

玉格格
28-11-13, 10:20
From what I've seen, there's plenty of 24hr shops in boonlay/lakeside area that caters to night shift workers. however, not many condos there.

like u say, it is cater for nite shift workers, not suitable n safe for ladies :D

DuaNehNehChioBu
28-11-13, 10:24
like u say, it is cater for nite shift workers, not suitable n safe for ladies :D

You are a MAN. We know that right from the day 1 you join this forum.

Don't pretend to be a lady and don't act like you know alot.

You are just another shitty hypocrite here and trying to act cute.

But you are OLD FU#K GAY MAN. :rolleyes:

Eat some shit to sharpen your investment skills

zeamybro
28-11-13, 10:24

Princess or concubine yu... dont like that la.. .night shift also got malaysian and china mei meis factory workers one ma...

relax88
28-11-13, 11:27
didi, I am certainly old enuff to be yr mum! hahaha :D

steady lar,, you got my respect...we know who we are. But so long can have some fun here . Just relax

玉格格
28-11-13, 12:25
steady lar,, you got my respect...we know who we are. But so long can have some fun here . Just relax

oh dear! how come even u oso noe who I am! :doh:

玉格格
28-11-13, 12:33
Princess or concubine yu... dont like that la.. .night shift also got malaysian and china mei meis factory workers one ma...

I dun mean it tat way. 24hr amenities which is a 5 mins walk at 1-2am is very unsafe for ladies mah, hence the so called "convienience" become N/A to ladies.
imagine if a lady on nite shift nid to walk 10mins fm mrt at 2am is oso not safe.
hence I tink oni guys/families tenants would like amenities > mrt.

玉格格
28-11-13, 12:36

Commercial hub - checked
Transport hub - checked
Amenities - checked

not when an investor has to pay a high price for it :47:

Patrickstar
28-11-13, 12:36
Are you really a DNNCB that you claim?

You are a MAN. We know that right from the day 1 you join this forum.

Don't pretend to be a lady and don't act like you know alot.

You are just another shitty hypocrite here and trying to act cute.

But you are OLD FU#K GAY MAN. :rolleyes:

Eat some shit to sharpen your investment skills

Patrickstar
28-11-13, 12:38
Jurong will be a hot place without the factories.

Commercial hub - checked
Transport hub - checked
Amenities - checked

Ringo33
30-11-13, 11:45
Jurong will be a hot place without the factories.

western and central regions are the largest employment center in Singapore and JLD is the place where you want to put your money if you are property investors looking to collect rental and capital appreciation.