PDA

View Full Version : Strong interest in new Mercedes-Benz S-Class

reporter2
27-11-13, 13:39
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium/top-stories/strong-interest-new-mercedes-benz-s-class-20131127

Published November 27, 2013

Strong interest in new Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Nearly 400 orders for flagship luxury limousine

By samuel ee [email protected]

http://i.imgur.com/2hBEbky.jpg
Half-a-million price tag: S-Class buyers include owners of small and medium-sized enterprises, and CEOs and top management of MNCs and other corporations

[SINGAPORE] What is half a million dollars in the Singapore context? Apparently it's not that big a deal if you happen to be one of the hundreds of people who have booked the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

Daimler South-east Asia, the distributor of Mercedes-Benz, would not confirm the number, but BT understands that close to 400 orders have been taken for the latest version of its flagship luxury limousine.

To be launched to 1,000 guests here tomorrow, the three available variants for now - the S350 CDI, S400 Hybrid, S500 - are priced between $450,000 and $600,000 (including COE) approximately.

Interestingly, a surprisingly sizeable number of the higher-end S500 model with a V8 engine has been snapped up - one-quarter of all bookings compared to less than 10 per cent previously.

"This group of customers has seen their wealth grow exponentially because of asset inflation, so $500,000 is not considered a major expense," said one observer. "But not only Singaporeans have benefited; it's a worldwide phenomenon."

But in Singapore the price of an S-Class can be almost treble because of the progressive registration tax structure introduced in February this year. And along with the vehicle financing restrictions implemented at the same time, buyers have to stump up about $250,000 in cash because of the 50 per cent cash downpayment required for cars with an open market value of more than $20,000.

This is unlikely to be a problem for S-Class buyers, however, who traditionally include owners of small and medium-sized enterprises, and CEOs and the top management of MNCs and other corporations.

"For some of them, the S-Class is a car that they must have because of its branding and status," said the observer. "Its reputation is such that it is the undisputed champ in this segment when it comes to comfort and luxury."

Part of its large clientele and loyal following can be attributed to the fact that the S-Class was one of the earliest full-sized luxury saloons to go on sale in Singapore. It gained popularity among the well-heeled as the Mercedes-Benz 280S in the 1960s, at a time when there was virtually no competition as a status symbol in its class.

In its run-out year this year, the S-Class notched up sales of only 88 units in the first nine months, compared with its traditional rival, the BMW 7 Series, of which 209 units were registered in the same period, while the corresponding figure for the Audi A8 was 38 units.

Last year, about 350 units of the S-Class were sold, and at its peak, this outgoing model racked up sales of 850 units in 2007, one year after its launch.

In general, launches of popular makes and models in Singapore tend to elicit a good response despite the prohibitive taxes and high COE premiums.

It is said that the Lexus ES mid-sized luxury sedan, for example, managed to net more than 100 bookings nearly two months ago at its introduction, while the facelifted Mercedes-Benz E-Class found favour with slightly more buyers when it was introduced in March.

DC33_2008
27-11-13, 14:40
Next week COE for Cat B is going to go up.:ashamed1:

onglai
27-11-13, 14:43
maybe buy with ah gong money...

DC33_2008
27-11-13, 14:55
High level Civil servants with at least 2.5months of bonus must have booked quite a no. of them.:D
maybe buy with ah gong money...

onglai
27-11-13, 15:08
High level Civil servants with at least 2.5months of bonus must have booked quite a no. of them.:D

then they better make sure their car cannot be bigger then their boss.....if not next year bonus become 1/2 month.

:D:D

玉格格
27-11-13, 15:10
then they better make sure their car cannot be bigger then their boss.....if not next year bonus become 1/2 month.

wah lau!
liddat if yr boss live in hdb u cannot live in condo liao :47:

onglai
27-11-13, 15:14
wah lau!
liddat if yr boss live in hdb u cannot live in condo liao :47:

not like dat say.... u stay where, pple dont care... but when u park ur car beside ur boss, everyone can see...

玉格格
27-11-13, 15:16
not like dat say.... u stay where, pple dont care... but when u park ur car beside ur boss, everyone can see...

according to wat u say, liddat u cannot buy a condo which is beside yr boss de hdb liao lor :tongue3:

p/s: who ask u so dumb dumb go n park yr car beside yr boss's? :47:

onglai
27-11-13, 15:24
according to wat u say, liddat u cannot buy a condo which is beside yr boss de hdb liao lor :tongue3:

p/s: who ask u so dumb dumb go n park yr car beside yr boss's? :47:

aiyo.. u har... straight until cannot straight anymore...

:p

玉格格
27-11-13, 15:26
aiyo.. u har... straight until cannot straight anymore...

:p

how sure u r tat Im straight?
sekali Im les leh? :ashamed1: :o ;)

onglai
27-11-13, 15:32
how sure u r tat Im straight?
sekali Im les leh? :ashamed1: :o ;)

u les i tock away DNNCB's head let u sit!!

玉格格
27-11-13, 15:35
u les i tock away DNNCB's head let u sit!!

tsk, tsk, tsk ... such a coward leh u ...
wanna bet use yr pineapple head la! haha :D

p/s: u nvr see me flirt wif guys b4 rite? ;)

hutsutau
27-11-13, 17:47
What is the omv for s400l

radha08
28-11-13, 13:20
one of my old friends is driving an s350...:eek:...met him last week lucky he never see my car....otherwise..PAISEH:banghead::banghead::banghead::D:D:D

onglai
28-11-13, 13:34
one of my old friends is driving an s350...:eek:...met him last week lucky he never see my car....otherwise..PAISEH:banghead::banghead::banghead::D:D:D

Who knows maybe he will feel paiseh when he see ur house. :)

radha08
28-11-13, 14:39
Who knows maybe he will feel paiseh when he see ur house. :)

bro i scared to ask him where he stay:scared-1::scared-1::scared-1::)

玉格格
28-11-13, 15:00

y u guys so liddat one? judge a person' wealth by the brand of car he drives? :doh:
even if u take public tsp, u oso shdnt feel paiseh.

onglai
28-11-13, 15:16
y u guys so liddat one? judge a person' wealth by the brand of car he drives? :doh:
even if u take public tsp, u oso shdnt feel paiseh.

tell me u are not an earthling...

玉格格
28-11-13, 16:37
tell me u are not an earthling...

Im a concubine; diff era ppl :D
issit my prob for not being impressed wif ppl who drives?
many drives posh cars but dead broke u noe!

onglai
28-11-13, 16:58
Im a concubine; diff era ppl :D
issit my prob for not being impressed wif ppl who drives?
many drives posh cars but dead broke u noe!

u r 1 level above buddha leow.. coz buddha oso wear gold suit.

:)

Simi
28-11-13, 22:14
Sorry for being a spoilt sport :D

BMW i8 sold out for 2014

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/11/25/bmw-i8-sold-2014/

Simi
28-11-13, 22:19
The all-new BMW i8 Full Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkOFbXVfcjw

richwang
29-11-13, 00:08
With the low supply of 600+ COE, and thousands of company paid cars. It is no surprise CEOs/Senior Managers are rushing to spend this year's budget for the cars.

It is not the problem of the market force, it is the stupid supply!

minority
29-11-13, 07:13
One is a constant on is a variable. Only way is to reduce the variable.

玉格格
29-11-13, 08:27
u r 1 level above buddha leow.. coz buddha oso wear gold suit.

:)

hahaha, 人要衣装,佛靠金装.
tat means Im not a human liao :(