PDA

View Full Version : PM Lee : Unhappy people often go onto the Internet

princess_morbucks
23-11-13, 14:46
THERE will always be an anti-establishment element in a new media environment, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at a forum this evening.
He said that to get the support of the people, the government must continue to do its work, try its best to communicate and involve people in its initiatives to give them a stronger sense of satisfaction.
"We can't wish for new media not to exist, but we can try our best to use it," Mr Lee said in Mandarin, in response to a question from a member of the audience, who asked how the government regards online views about how it is disconnected from the people.

"Satisfied people don't have time to go onto the Internet. Unhappy people often go there," Mr Lee said.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/breaking-news/singapore/anti-establishment-element-inherent-new-media-pm-lee-20131122

onglai
23-11-13, 15:22
THERE will always be an anti-establishment element in a new media environment, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at a forum this evening.
He said that to get the support of the people, the government must continue to do its work, try its best to communicate and involve people in its initiatives to give them a stronger sense of satisfaction.
"We can't wish for new media not to exist, but we can try our best to use it," Mr Lee said in Mandarin, in response to a question from a member of the audience, who asked how the government regards online views about how it is disconnected from the people.

"Satisfied people don't have time to go onto the Internet. Unhappy people often go there," Mr Lee said.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/breaking-news/singapore/anti-establishment-element-inherent-new-media-pm-lee-20131122

????? does he know wat he's talking about ????

iwantgizmos
23-11-13, 16:02
so we, the forummers of condosingapore are unhappy people???

fiat500
23-11-13, 17:47

Uncalled for comment!

august
23-11-13, 18:00
really hopeless guy, lol

Rysk
23-11-13, 18:16
Not sure about others.. When I'm happy (just like today).. I keep using Internet.. :ashamed1:

PN
23-11-13, 18:40
Go Internet can do a lot of things leh

1. Online Banking
2. Send/Read emails
3. Read news
4. Watch movies
5. Online shopping
6. Pay bills
7. Passport application/renewer
8. All government bodies also got website so need to go internet ;)
9. and many other things
not to forget ...........................Kaypoh :D

star
23-11-13, 19:04
I think what he meant is unhappy people will keep going online bashing.

Sometime if a person is with bad friends or company he will likely to get influence by them too. If people in a forum that always bad mouth about govt likely people reading will get influenced by it too.

el loco
23-11-13, 19:31
U guys are falling in his trap by posting unhappy remarks here...hehhehe

PN
23-11-13, 19:50
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/we-must-fight-back-against-trolling--pm-lee-010159521.html

3C
23-11-13, 19:53
I hope the TS will stop posting all the kachang puteh topics. This is not wan pao though I suspect you may have some connection with some news people. Carry on with those good property related topics

lifeline
23-11-13, 20:05
I hope the TS will stop posting all the kachang puteh topics. This is not wan pao though I suspect you may have some connection with some news people. Carry on with those good property related topics

Relax brother. This is the coffeeshop talk section. You just need to avoid this sector to get only your serious property news. Anyway some people may only be camping in this forum so some news (esp this particular one) are useful.

princess_morbucks
23-11-13, 20:06

Haiz, why u so liddat.....
Sharing is caring mah.

This is coffee shop thread where we can discuss anything under the sun.

I post whatever I feel will be of interest to the forummers.
If not interesting then people won't comment, right?

I feel so sad :(that you made such an unsupportive remark, but I am glad that you added an additional post to my kachang puteh thread :).

PN
23-11-13, 20:09
Relax brother. This is the coffeeshop talk section. You just need to avoid this sector to get only your serious property news. Anyway some people may only be camping in this forum so some news (esp this particular one) are useful.

Ya lor. Coffeeshop talk got many uncles lim kopi 看晚报 :D

玉格格
23-11-13, 20:40

u jealous TS is uncle 杀手 issit?
if u wan, u can oso create yr own ikan bilis threads so tat the aunties here will come in to support u mah, haha :D

玉格格
23-11-13, 20:43
Ya lor. Coffeeshop talk got many uncles lim kopi 看晚报 :D

tiagong coffeshop talk got many aunties lurking to see if got innocent ah peh wif fat cpf onot :D

Simi
23-11-13, 23:37
tiagong coffeshop talk got many aunties lurking to see if got innocent ah peh wif fat cpf onot :D

from who, Mermaid ?

tio pian liao :D :D

Simi
23-11-13, 23:59
????? does he know wat he's talking about ????

Of course he knows what he's talking la

He is The PM of Singapore :ashamed1:

3C
24-11-13, 06:35
I am sad to see that many could not see what the govt is doing. Grumble and grumble. Money don't fall from the sky. It is a blessing that we can achieve so much without any natural resources. Think deeper and you know why the govt is doing what is necessary. Those grumbling are those which cannot catch up with the changes which the govt is trying to help. Less I want to see is anyone to add oil to the fire unless you want your property prices drop overnight.

richwang
24-11-13, 10:19
It is a blessing that we can achieve so much without any natural resources.

Who says we don't have any natural resources?
Location, location, location!
Singapore is at the strategic location connecting continents.
In terms of per capita natural resources, we have the most in the world!

Cyberknight
24-11-13, 10:35

Please lah. Look at Dubai for connectivity.. Look at Russia for resources

richwang
24-11-13, 10:50
Please lah. Look at Dubai for connectivity.. Look at Russia for resources

True. Thanks,

玉格格
24-11-13, 13:38
from who, Mermaid ?

tio pian liao :D :D

tink so. she muz hv cheated many lao ah pehs' cpf tats y now run road liao :(

radha08
24-11-13, 13:41

or very FREE:cheers1::cheers1::cheers1::D

radha08
24-11-13, 13:43

Thank you TS please continue to post nowadays i no need buy paper just come condo forum...can liao all news under one roof:cheers1::cheers1::cheers1:

sgbuyer
24-11-13, 14:35

Agree and all thanks to Sir Stamford Raffles. Who says Singapore is a fishing village before 1965?

onglai
25-11-13, 14:32
http://www.breakfastnetwork.sg/?p=8730

minority
25-11-13, 16:20

nope. anonymity gives people a sense of security thus many speak irresponsibility without regards. Can be lies Can be truth. people just anyhow wack cause its anonymous.

minority
25-11-13, 16:32
Go Internet can do a lot of things leh

1. Online Banking
2. Send/Read emails
3. Read news
4. Watch movies
5. Online shopping
6. Pay bills
7. Passport application/renewer
8. All government bodies also got website so need to go internet ;)
9. and many other things
not to forget ...........................Kaypoh :D

some just like to go internet Cow Pay. look at ST Facebook. 9/10 of the articles people cow pay. regardless good or bad. many just like to cow pay cow bu. so I would say those are not very happy folks.

Simi
25-11-13, 16:59
some just like to go internet Cow Pay. look at ST Facebook. 9/10 of the articles people cow pay. regardless good or bad. many just like to cow pay cow bu. so I would say those are not very happy folks.

Yalor all cow pay cow bu

Recently a Vice Principal

“How many of our leaders and top officers who say that every school is a good school put their children in ordinary schools near their home? (Only) until they actually do so are parents going to buy (it).”

So minority Sir, do you think she should be sacked ?

Wynyard
25-11-13, 17:55
Yalor all cow pay cow bu

Sacked for telling the truth :confused:

Simi
25-11-13, 18:03

for being a trouble maker ?

minority
25-11-13, 18:45
Yalor all cow pay cow bu

This is the internet. who cares what I think right?

minority
25-11-13, 18:56

Actually to dwell on that topic….. I have friends who are teachers. When I was looking for which schools to send my kids I ever ask them which are the good schools.

One thing I was told. its not the school system or the content or school good a not. Even the heart land schools are equipped with the same facilities. ( my friend teaches in the Heartland school). Everyone take the same test , study the same content. and Teachers received the same training.

His comment is all teachers go through the same training. teaches the same content etc. but what make it a so call good schools are the cohort. Not saying the headland schools don't deliver top students but could be lesser as the student support are more complicated.

A lot of times the kids are peer influenced. So he say when I ask which are good schools I am asking for those with better environment with less chance or negative peer influence. System wise all same same.

Thus the principle statement is not wrong . neither is the PM statement that all school are the same. Depends what u look at.

Simi
25-11-13, 19:20

minority Sir

Good answer

happy registered forumers or unhappy anonymous forumers ...who cares :D :D

Wunderkind
25-11-13, 19:52
When we read the statement in its context, it means in general people who are unhappy with things in life whether it has to do with the government or not tend to bring up their greviances in the internet. Why? Perhaps it is a easy and convenient way to release one's frustration while keeping one identity anonymous. There are people who do not want to be known when they air grouses especially when it concerns the government.

Simi
25-11-13, 20:35
When we read the statement in its context, it means in general people who are unhappy with things in life whether it has to do with the government or not tend to bring up their greviances in the internet. Why? Perhaps it is a easy and convenient way to release one's frustration while keeping one identity anonymous. There are people who do not want to be known when they air grouses especially when it concerns the government.

so no idea where these group of people going to vent their frustration and air their grouses if they are not allowed a revenue to do so :(

minority
25-11-13, 20:58
so no idea where these group of people going to vent their frustration and air their grouses if they are not allowed a revenue to do so :(

TRS n ONC have many unhappy people slapping each other back. also the articles also never happy or likes to incited unhappiness.

Simi
25-11-13, 21:07
TRS n ONC have many unhappy people slapping each other back. also the articles also never happy or likes to incited unhappiness.

But why do you go there....to read unhappy people posts ? :confused:

minority
25-11-13, 21:12
But why do you go there....to read unhappy people posts ? :confused:

i don't after 1 visit.

Simi
25-11-13, 21:13
Internet founder warns growing surveillance 'threatens democracy'

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/internet-founder-warns-growing-surveillance-threatens-democracy-162644972.html

Internet Founder must be the Most unhappy man on Planet Earth

Wunderkind
25-11-13, 21:19

It is not necessarily bad to air one 's grouses in the internet. I don't think PM is saying that we should not air our unhappiness in the internet.

For one, it can help to limit any potential damage. Imagine uncontrolled rage flares up on the street. Look at some of the riots in other countries.

When one thinks and types on the keyboard, the emotion is in a way tempered. I can't say that it is true for everyone though.

What PM is saying is that he observes that in general, unhappy people ( in Singapore in particular ) turn to the Internet to air their grievances. Nothing wrong with that. Just that , when one accesses the internet, he or she will hear a lot of unhappiness and this perspective can distort reality if one does not check the ground to get a semblance of balance. Those who are happy do not air their happiness that much on the internet as those who are unhappy.

teddybear
25-11-13, 21:19
If this is true, then nowsadays many ministers also very unhappy, keep updating their facebook and online blog! :eek:

Simi
25-11-13, 21:53
It is not necessarily bad to air one 's grouses in the internet. I don't think PM is saying that we should not air our unhappiness in the internet.

For one, it can help to limit any potential damage. Imagine uncontrolled rage flares up on the street. Look at some of the riots in other countries.

When one thinks and types on the keyboard, the emotion is in a way tempered. I can't say that it is true for everyone though.

What PM is saying is that he observes that in general, unhappy people ( in Singapore in particular ) turn to the Internet to air their grievances. Nothing wrong with that. Just that , when one accesses the internet, he or she will hear a lot of unhappiness and this perspective can distort reality if one does not check the ground to get a semblance of balance. Those who are happy do not air their happiness that much on the internet as those who are unhappy.

would think it is inevitable that the present Government felt this way

because PAP forms the majority at the moment so any form of frustrations and grouses would of course indirectly point to them

What if the Opposition parties form the Government ?.............food for your thought

A role reversal ?
Read there are also many unhappy people posting when Nicole Seah revealed her depression

Or are these people should be classified as Happy people because they are firing at NS ? :doh::confused:

Wunderkind
25-11-13, 22:31
would think it is inevitable that the present Government felt this way

because PAP forms the majority at the moment so any form of frustrations and grouses would of course indirectly point to them

What if the Opposition parties form the Government ?.............food for your thought

A role reversal ?
Read there are also many unhappy people posting when Nicole Seah revealed her depression

Or are these people should be classified as Happy people because they are firing at NS ? :doh::confused:

In a way, the government is tacitly admitting that internet does not play up to their advantage because of its tendency to play up the negatives more than the positives by virtue of the cultural leanings of internet users.

But they cannot deny that the internet is the way to go to reach out to the masses.

I think that is the reason Ministers are also writing blogs and posting on their facebook to give a balance of perspectives and also reach out to the social media masses.

Simi
25-11-13, 22:47
In a way, the government is tacitly admitting that internet does not play up to their advantage because of its tendency to play up the negatives more than the positives by virtue of the cultural leanings of internet users.

But they cannot deny that the internet is the way to go to reach out to the masses.

I think that is the reason Ministers are also writing blogs and posting on their facebook to give a balance of perspectives and also reach out to the social media masses.

if one day the social media we can access to are the Ministers Facebook, blogs and forums that are run by SPH and the Government :doh::doh:

It will be a sad day

Wunderkind
25-11-13, 23:16
if one day the social media we can access to are the Ministers Facebook, blogs and forums that are run by SPH and the Government :doh::doh:

It will be a sad day

The question is does the internet gives a balanced and truthful perspective to political issues being aired ? Unfortunately, it does not seem so by virtue of the cultural leanings of internet users.

The government cannot tell people to not use the internet nor can they stop people from complaining in the internet. Neither can they tell happy people to go to internet and say more happy things there.

There is no easy solution.

august
25-11-13, 23:42
The question is does the internet gives a balanced and truthful perspective to political issues being aired ? Unfortunately, it does not seem so by virtue of the cultural leanings of internet users.

The government cannot tell people to not use the internet nor can they stop people from complaining in the internet. Neither can they tell happy people to go to internet and say more happy things there.

the real question is does the traditional media gives a balanced and truthful perspective to political issues? Perhaps this is the reason why more and more are turning to the internet in the first place.

teddybear
26-11-13, 06:43
If nobody care what people think and say in Internet, why would the people you strongly supported now want to impose all kind of regulations? :rolleyes:

teddybear
26-11-13, 06:45
Thought they already have the solution: clamp Down on forum providers?!

teddybear
26-11-13, 06:50
You explanation can't really explain this statement:

May be he is just talking about his experience? Now that he is unhappy because need to go Internet update his web page / Facebook etc?

His experience is totally opposite of mine: I go Internet when very happy, especially when got chance to hamtum people who talk nonsense and reveal their clown face! :p

But actually hor, i was thinking may be he mean to say "busy and meaningfully occupied people don't have time to go Internet. Only very free got nothing to do people then go Internet"?

RSG
26-11-13, 07:26

May be he is just talking about his experience? Now that he is unhappy because need to go Internet update his web page / Facebook etc?

His experience is totally opposite of mine: I go Internet when very happy, especially when got chance to hamtum people who talk nonsense and reveal their clown face! :p

But actually hor, i was thinking may be he mean to say "busy and meaningfully occupied people don't have time to go Internet. Only very free got nothing to do people then go Internet"?

I too think that PM meant the above. I for one only go to the Internet when I am free. There are good, useful and educational info as well as bad and ugly discussions in the internet. This is what makes it interesting to read and participate. Take this forum for instance, I learn a lot about property matters in this forum.

irisng
26-11-13, 07:27
We always heard, "don't bottom your anger, need to vent it out". If you vent your anger at your family or friends, only a few will know but if posted on the Internet, more people will know. Maybe that's their purpose of the posting.

Is it trying to say that those people who work from day to night, work like a bull must be happy people because they never have the time to serve net.

Then those youngsters must be belong to the unhappy group because they spent most of their times on internet, either doing school projects, play games or online shopping. Cannot "use 1 bamboo stick to sweep the whole ship" wan lah.

Internet can also act as a source of communication like what we are doing now in this forum. :cheers1:

Sometimes, I got the news from this forum, so whether good or not, up to our discretion, we still have to thank the TS for sharing. If don't like it, can always ignore the thread lor. As long as it is a decent thread, no quarrelling, no personal attack, should be okay. For discussion only mah.

minority
26-11-13, 07:44
We always heard, "don't bottom your anger, need to vent it out". If you vent your anger at your family or friends, only a few will know but if posted on the Internet, more people will know. Maybe that's their purpose of the posting.

Is it trying to say that those people who work from day to night, work like a bull must be happy people because they never have the time to serve net.

Then those youngsters must be belong to the unhappy group because they spent most of their times on internet, either doing school projects, play games or online shopping. Cannot "use 1 bamboo stick to sweep the whole ship" wan lah.

Internet can also act as a source of communication like what we are doing now in this forum. :cheers1:

Sometimes, I got the news from this forum, so whether good or not, up to our discretion, we still have to thank the TS for sharing. If don't like it, can always ignore the thread lor. As long as it is a decent thread, no quarrelling, no personal attack, should be okay. For discussion only mah.

Well there are also difference from venting n spreading rumors or lies. coz many urban legends or rumor mongering happens from people luan luan lai with malicious intent. Couple with people who just want to vent won't this get out of hand?

irisng
26-11-13, 16:59
Well there are also difference from venting n spreading rumors or lies. coz many urban legends or rumor mongering happens from people luan luan lai with malicious intent. Couple with people who just want to vent won't this get out of hand?

Well, there are pros and cons of using Internet. If use it wisely, it will help, but if "luan luan lai", then tio jialat.

teddybear
26-11-13, 17:23
Telling lies, just like you? Ha ha ha! Can only talk about other people but cannot look at yourself! Anyway, people who are very free to surf the net will be able to tell the difference!
What we are afraid is not more information but people trying to control information flow, and usually when these happens you will see that information flow will always be biased in their favor, and we will go back to the early 19th century where people who control the radios, TVs, newspapers will rule the earth... :rolleyes:

minority
26-11-13, 17:28
Telling lies, just like you? Ha ha ha! Can only talk about other people but cannot look at yourself! Anyway, people who are very free to surf the net will be able to tell the difference!
What we are afraid is not more information but people trying to control information flow, and usually when these happens you will see that information flow will always be biased in their favor, and we will go back to the early 19th century where people who control the radios, TVs, newspapers will rule the earth... :rolleyes:

oh like u? everyday kpkb. why u worry u dare not show ur real identity and need to hid behind 1 to spread rumors?

ITs not controlling information its to ensure u check ur source before u post. its to ensure u don't anyhow post fake news just to stir up shit.

u mean give u the license to drive u have the right to go knock people down? no wat. u are responsible for ur action. get it RIGHT!

Get it right dumbo.

Wunderkind
26-11-13, 23:07

The context of PM's comment is :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gist of the comment " unhappy people offen go there [internet] will not make logical sense if it is detached from the first statement ," There will always be an anti-establishment element in a new media "

So, in essence, he is saying those people who are satisfied with the government do not go onto internet to say good of the government as much as those who are unsatisfied. It is not meant to say that when one is happy and it has nothing to do with the government, one does not go onto the internet.

irisng
27-11-13, 07:11
I think TV Media is more powerful than Internet. Almost everybody watch TV whereas Internet, not all people know how to use especially the older ones. Busy people have no time to go to Internet, so they will not know about the complains:rolleyes:. For me, I also don't know about the complains in the Internet because I don't bother about it and not because I'm busy.