PDA

View Full Version : Save Orchid Country Club!

richwang
20-11-13, 20:06
I am trying to gather some information to save Orchid Country Club.
Any inputs are welcomed!

richwang
20-11-13, 20:12
Historical value:
opened by the first directly elected President Ong Teng Cheong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ong_Teng_Cheong

richwang
20-11-13, 20:18
Largest club membership in Singapore if we count NTUC members can enjoy it by paying nominal fees.

https://www.ntuc.org.sg/wps/portal/up2/home/members/benefitsandprivileges/lifestyleandentertainment/lifestyleandentertainmentdetails?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/content_library/ntuc/home/members/benefits+and+privileges/lifestyle+and+entertainment/d14a210044cc9a5ca4c0bdc1f41f8d82

richwang
20-11-13, 20:22
home for Singapore labour movement

http://www.slf.gov.sg/Grants-and-contributions/index.htm

richwang
20-11-13, 20:26
Training ground for union leaders

http://www.otcinstitute.org.sg/wps/portal/otci/home

Sleepyhead
20-11-13, 21:08
What is happening to it? Save it from what?

DuaNehNehChioBu
20-11-13, 21:15
Hope CLOSED DOWN ASAP...

Save MONEY AND TIME :D :D :D

Xan
20-11-13, 21:36
Actually not jus OCC itself, other country clubs facing same renewing of lease issues.

august
20-11-13, 21:44
Historical value:
opened by the first directly elected President Ong Teng Cheong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ong_Teng_Cheong

OTC is out of favour with the Lees, so i guess kind of tough. :p

richwang
20-11-13, 22:17
The only "mass market" golf club: by paying S$3 you can be a day social member to use swimming pool, fitness, etc.

http://www.ntuc.org.sg/wps/portal/up2/home/members/formsordownloads/formsordownloadsdetails?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/content_library/ntuc/home/members/forms%20or%20downloads/6d5a33804614a20e9ceb9e8f2589d001

minority
20-11-13, 22:33
there are other swimming pool there. Its so old liao. the course are cow grass. I think its time to reuse it for more public usage.

NorthernStar
21-11-13, 06:12
there are other swimming pool there. Its so old liao. the course are cow grass. I think its time to reuse it for more public usage.
OCC's courses are turf grass.. not the cow grass.. Mandai Executive course is cow grass..

OCC is meant for public that include non NSmen.. there are NTUC fairprice and Bowling. Too bad that both public golf course( OCC and MGC) need to give way for higher population.

new2mondrian
21-11-13, 07:06
The golf courses and country clubs (OCC included) serve only a small bunch of the population. Even at $3 a day, it is not for the lower strata. I would rather they keep the public pools, or integrate the public pools with HDB buildings, and get rid of the Clubs and convert them into residential dwellings and open park spaces for all to enjoy.

Wanna golf can always go up north. No lack of golfing facilities in Iskandar. :)

richwang
21-11-13, 07:37
If you think that area will be redeveloped into HDB, you must be dreaming.
(You want HDB to loss another billion dollars there?)
It will benefit the few who can own the private homes there.
(How about the even fewer who "sell" the land?)

richwang
21-11-13, 07:48
Wanna golf can always go up north. No lack of golfing facilities in Iskandar. :)

It is a wonderful suggestion to travel to Iskandar to play golf. Spending hours on the road must be very relaxed.

May I suggest to close ALL golf clubs in Singapore, and give way to 10M population (as the planning experts have suggested), and the rich can take private jets to anywhere they want to play golf? They can also do world class networking on the plane and at destinations.

princess_morbucks
21-11-13, 07:54
Bro richwang, why do you think OCC will be removed?

Shanhz
21-11-13, 07:57
OCC land has been converted to reserved land.

i for one, make use of the $3 swimming pool.

if i can save it, of course i will. somemore, i bought SM. :p

p3nboy
21-11-13, 08:12
most likely it will be a park with alfresco dining, similar to punggol jetty now.

richwang
21-11-13, 08:19
If it will be a park, it should show "green".
But it shows "yellow" now.
It can then turn "brown".

Green - golf and park
Yellow - Reserved, meaning government holds the wild card
Brown - Residential

Shanhz
21-11-13, 08:21

Green - golf and park
Brown - Residential

yeah, opposite seletar CC shows green.

sgbuyer
21-11-13, 08:41
OCC land has been converted to reserved land.

i for one, make use of the $3 swimming pool.

if i can save it, of course i will. somemore, i bought SM. :p

If they can convert it into a public park with recreation facilities and al fresco F&B that expats all like, it will help boost the rental value of SM.

p3nboy
21-11-13, 08:56
have u seen any residential development build so close to the resevoir?

eng81157
21-11-13, 09:07
have u seen any residential development build so close to the resevoir?

erm, bedok reservoir and the entire gang of "waterfront" projects?

p3nboy
21-11-13, 09:11
I am taking reference from Miltonia close.

sgbuyer
21-11-13, 09:40
erm, bedok reservoir and the entire gang of "waterfront" projects?

Br FS not good lah.

princess_morbucks
21-11-13, 10:05

Green - golf and park
Brown - Residential

Oic...yes it is yellow.
I was looking at the outdated 2008 one :ashamed1:.

eng81157
21-11-13, 10:08
Br FS not good lah.

eh, what's "Br FS"?

princess_morbucks
21-11-13, 10:13
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/lease-extension-golf-clubs-know-their-fate-next-year?page=0%2C0

garychang
21-11-13, 10:19
golf courses are such waste of space for so few people to enjoy...
i also dun like it if its another residential or commercial space.
the view is damn nice there have to admit...
please make it a state of the art recreational, Artsy fartsy, creative space...
with such great view, all the creativeness also can zuah chu lai!
Let more people enjoy this view!

nearest EC to Yishun Dam (popular "free parking" weekend zobo place!)
only 8 units left... only 3x 3BR units left!
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/15790708/for-sale-lush-acres

minority
21-11-13, 10:26
OCC's courses are turf grass.. not the cow grass.. Mandai Executive course is cow grass..

OCC is meant for public that include non NSmen.. there are NTUC fairprice and Bowling. Too bad that both public golf course( OCC and MGC) need to give way for higher population.

Why only benefit people who play golf? Should just flatten it. make a car park with community facility and a park for all to use. Just to benefit a small group who play golf or swim is too wasteful usage of the space. They can always build a Mall cum school cum medical hub with a public swimming pool what. Just some cow grass for small group of users are a WASTE.

If I have my way I will make it a big parking lot! at least it benefit people who want to go walk ard the resivour.

richwang
21-11-13, 10:32
If I have my way I will make it a big parking lot! at least it benefit people who want to go walk ard the resivour.

Excuse me, Sir! Lots of the users for OCC don't own a car! There is a free shuttle bus from Yishun MRT to OCC.

Do you really understand the needs from the ground? ... or are you suggesting the big parking lot for buses to fetch the 10M people?

richwang
21-11-13, 10:37
I have no objection to close ALL golf clubs in Singapore.
But why choose the "mass market" golf club to close?
Lots of people having weddings in OCC. (Cheaper than hotels and arguably better food). OCC carries their life time memories.

richwang
21-11-13, 10:44
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/lease-extension-golf-clubs-know-their-fate-next-year?page=0%2C0

=======================
The SLA told The Straits Times that talks on the issue with some clubs had already started last month (ed. that is Aug, 2013)
A spokesman said: "The SLA has started engaging the affected golf clubs on lease extension plans, which will continue over the next few months."
=============================
So it's done deal. Next year is just announcement. And the DRAFT master plan is just leaking of information.

But who has the rights to say yes on behalf of the users for OCC - possibly the most number of users among all Singapore golf clubs.

princess_morbucks
21-11-13, 10:49
Bro richwang....shift to your condo and enjoy the facilites there, and rent out your HDB? Solve the problem of the swimming pool.

richwang
21-11-13, 10:56
A better solution is to buy the coming condos sitting on OCC, so it will be win-win for gov and individuals.

But something is missing ...

richwang
21-11-13, 10:58
The Queen has once famously said: if the people don't have money to buy bread, they can have cakes!

richwang
21-11-13, 11:02
My mid-aged friend who lost his job recently is moving from condo to HDB.
Yes, the rental yield for HDB is higher, but the quantum of rents for condo is bigger.

Simply put, not everyone can afford to live in a condo - that's why OCC social club is so popular.

princess_morbucks
21-11-13, 11:15
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/prime-ministers-office-gets-surprise-visitor

SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong shared on his Facebook page that he found a surprise visitor in his office yesterday morning.

A barn owl had flown into his office building at the Istana overnight and made its perch on a wall ledge high above.

According to PM Lee, they contacted the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) and the Jurong Bird Park to ask for assistance.

The owl was later safely relocated somewhere behind Sri Temasek, another building within the Istana compound.

PM Lee also commented that "the Istana grounds are a green refuge for many species of birds and animals. We should preserve and create many such green spaces all over our island, so that in our urban environment we can enjoy the natural flora and fauna of Singapore."

sgbuyer
21-11-13, 11:16
eh, what's "Br FS"?

fengshui :p

princess_morbucks
21-11-13, 11:16
The Queen has once famously said: if the people don't have money to buy bread, they can have cakes!

Lol....same like the chinese phrase- no fish, prawn also can.

sgbuyer
21-11-13, 11:19
I have no objection to close ALL golf clubs in Singapore.
But why choose the "mass market" golf club to close?
Lots of people having weddings in OCC. (Cheaper than hotels and arguably better food). OCC carries their life time memories.

There's no such thing as a mass market golf club. All those HDB dwellers in Yishun, how many of them visit OCC in the last 1 year? I'll be surprised if more than 2-3% had done that.

latour
21-11-13, 11:21
OCC's lease is uptill when?

sgbuyer
21-11-13, 11:41
OCC's lease is uptill when?

It says 2024 on reports. But I think it'll be another 4-5 years before the next project is up so a 15 year wait.

eng81157
21-11-13, 11:44
fengshui :p

why fengshui no good leh? can't be bad for an entire stretch of condos eh?

p3nboy
21-11-13, 11:45
there are no propose road in that area yet, why so kan chiong? ten years from now.:doh:

eng81157
21-11-13, 11:49
there are roads all around bedok reservoir. siapa tu cakap?

NorthernStar
21-11-13, 11:50
There's no such thing as a mass market golf club. All those HDB dwellers in Yishun, how many of them visit OCC in the last 1 year? I'll be surprised if more than 2-3% had done that.

went there for golf last Friday.. NTUC member pay only ard $79 + buggy fee.

you will be surprise, how many ppl went for golf driving range during weekends.. on typical Sat's afternoon after 5pm, it is hardly find a place for the non-member practise lot.. (note: non-member)

OCC provided a cheaper way for median income to play and learn golf in Singapore.

p3nboy
21-11-13, 11:51
there are roads all around bedok reservoir. siapa tu cakap?

this is OCC we r talking about.

eng81157
21-11-13, 11:55
this is OCC we r talking about.

sigh, i can read. i was asking about a specific statement someone made

NorthernStar
21-11-13, 11:56
Why only benefit people who play golf? Should just flatten it. make a car park with community facility and a park for all to use. Just to benefit a small group who play golf or swim is too wasteful usage of the space. They can always build a Mall cum school cum medical hub with a public swimming pool what. Just some cow grass for small group of users are a WASTE.

I love nature too. i have cycled almost all the PCNs available in SG now.. i went to all the reservoirs.... but can't expect me to go parks and PCNs all the time right? ;) ppl need some other recreations too..

With population increase and say, 40% are high net-worth family..Current median class will soon moved to median-low class.. even, buying a car is soon a burden for median class income... Suggest to save the car park lot bcos, majority here will soon can't afford a car!:banghead:

sgbuyer
21-11-13, 12:12
went there for golf last Friday.. NTUC member pay only ard $79 + buggy fee.

you will be surprise, how many ppl went for golf driving range during weekends.. on typical Sat's afternoon after 5pm, it is hardly find a place for the non-member practise lot.. (note: non-member)

OCC provided a cheaper way for median income to play and learn golf in Singapore.

I think they'll still retain the driving range. But the rest of the golf course is huge. Just to show you how it compares to Sentosa on same scale.

OCC is almost half the size of Sentosa.

My recommendation is to retain the driving range and swimming pool but convert the golf course into a public accessible park with a hawker center and some alfresco dinning.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9365/zdpe.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8641/8uaa.jpg

minority
21-11-13, 15:39
Excuse me, Sir! Lots of the users for OCC don't own a car! There is a free shuttle bus from Yishun MRT to OCC.

Do you really understand the needs from the ground? ... or are you suggesting the big parking lot for buses to fetch the 10M people?

Once there car park is there all the users will come mah. Now car park not big sure no one go.

also its a golf club. if make it a cycle track with jogging track or malls or schools or library etc. more people will flock there.

ok lay keep the shuttle bus n smaller car park lor.

I say level OCC!!!! ;) make it more function to the rest of the population there.

richwang
21-11-13, 20:56
My recommendation is to retain the driving range and swimming pool but convert the golf course into a public accessible park with a hawker center and some alfresco dinning.

Good suggestion to keep the driving range, swimming pool.
Maybe the other areas such as NTUC FairPrice, Piano School, Kinder Garden, Dancing Floor, Bowling, Fitness and definitely the free shuttle bus stop should be kept as well.

richwang
21-11-13, 21:06
I have another creative suggestion which will definitely make most golf clubs in Singapore willingly to give up their lease:

Whoever give up its lease is in the interests of nation growth, so golfers in Singapore need to be united. If the golf course is selected to terminate its lease, to recognize the members' scarification of history, members are allowed to choose ANY other golf membership in Singapore.

So you have the choice:

1) To give up your golf course, but can enjoy a membership in another golf course;
or
2) To keep your golf course, but be prepared to accept other members.

Isn't that inclusive?

Open for more suggestions.

richwang
21-11-13, 21:13
I say level OCC!!!! ;)

How about level ALL golf clubs in Singapore?

richwang
21-11-13, 21:20
there are no propose road in that area yet, why so kan chiong? ten years from now.:doh:

I have stayed in this area for more than 10 years, another 10 years will be very fast. Once the lease will not be renewed, the facility will run down very quickly - way before its lease expires.

We should have 20/20 vision.

richwang
21-11-13, 21:33
If you look at the master plan for the residential area surrounded by OCC, the plot ratio is only 1.4. The nearby HDB plot ratio is 2.8.

So that area will be low dense high-end property: The Peak @ Seletar?

sgbuyer
21-11-13, 21:37
If you look at the master plan for the residential area surrounded by OCC, the plot ratio is only 1.4. The nearby HDB plot ratio is 2.8.

So that area will be low dense high-end property: The Peak @ Seletar?

It's going to be low rise, whatever they built, at most 4-5 stories high.

richwang
21-11-13, 22:33
The area surrounded by OCC is a small hill. Even with 4-5 stories, it is The Peak @ Seletar.

richwang
21-11-13, 22:43

Since OCC is so big, why don't we just keep the area facing the MRT track? Every morning, I just feel so relaxed when I take MRT and have a view of the golf course. There are thousands more in the North who travel by MRT can enjoy the view.

new2mondrian
21-11-13, 23:20
I have nothing against golf clubs. My only issue is that they are land intensive, and not really suited for land scarce Singapore. To be honest, how many golfers do we have in our population? If really wanna keep the course, why not just retain the driving range, and get rid of the rest of the golf course?

I think the bigger issue here is about trade offs. I am not sure if thousands of people prefer to retain the golf course just to enjoy the view. I for one, would prefer to have more public park spaces that my child and I can ACCESS, and enjoy the view.

richwang
22-11-13, 01:23
Great idea of just keeping the driving range.
Let's apply this to ALL golf clubs in Singapore.
And our kids will have better ACCESS to many beautiful places in Singapore.

I am sure the forumers here can share those photos from golf courses. You will be surprised by the fantastic views!

richwang
22-11-13, 01:44

If you have visited New York Central Park, read the introduction describing the ups and downs of the Park, and I can still remember the last sentence: We will up keep the park for the generations to come.

So when we are talking about a decision affecting generations, 10 years is very short. And the URA public consultation ends at 19 Dec 2013 before the Draft master plan becomes Formal master plan.

Kan Chiong? I am just Kiasu!

richwang
22-11-13, 01:54
"to keep Central Park a beautiful place for leisure, recreation and the appreciation of nature for generations to come."

http://www.centralparknyc.org/maps/
http://www.centralparknyc.org/
http://www.centralparknyc.org/donate/

My last visit of Central Park was 10 years ago, but I know for sure the mission is still there, because it is for the generations to come.

NorthernStar
22-11-13, 06:11
I think they'll still retain the driving range. But the rest of the golf course is huge. Just to show you how it compares to Sentosa on same scale.

Good suggestion!

NorthernStar
22-11-13, 06:18
I have another creative suggestion which will definitely make most golf clubs in Singapore willingly to give up their lease:

Whoever give up its lease is in the interests of nation growth, so golfers in Singapore need to be united. If the golf course is selected to terminate its lease, to recognize the members' scarification of history, members are allowed to choose ANY other golf membership in Singapore.

So you have the choice:

1) To give up your golf course, but can enjoy a membership in another golf course;
or
2) To keep your golf course, but be prepared to accept other members.

Isn't that inclusive?

Open for more suggestions.

Very hard... golf course's membership fee is very different.. The golf member can't complain about the non-renewal of lease as they all knew that their memberships are tied to the leasing of the land.

i guess those golf clubs which can renew their leasing will increase their membership's price.. :rolleyes:

earthling
22-11-13, 06:53
I have nothing against golf clubs. My only issue is that they are land intensive, and not really suited for land scarce Singapore. To be honest, how many golfers do we have in our population? If really wanna keep the course, why not just retain the driving range, and get rid of the rest of the golf course?

I think the bigger issue here is about trade offs. I am not sure if thousands of people prefer to retain the golf course just to enjoy the view. I for one, would prefer to have more public park spaces that my child and I can ACCESS, and enjoy the view.

I totally agree with your point here. Perhaps golf courses can relocate to offshore islands like the one at Sentosa or integrated near nature reserve as an "extension"?

The problem here is, when golf courses give way, they are not necessarily been replaced by public parks. The land will be free up for residential use or roads etc. I do hope that the authorities can retain part of the land and convert it to public parks and recreational areas for people to enjoy. After all, we are living in a tiny city state with diminishing greenery by the day! :(

p3nboy
22-11-13, 09:34
In the worst case scenario, it will be turn into another Bedok reservoir.:tsk-tsk:

p3nboy
22-11-13, 10:37
Simpang will be the next Punggol with many longkangs:D and LRTs in the future.

minority
22-11-13, 13:58
Make it a CarPark , with a public Park and malls I say!

richwang
22-11-13, 18:00
I have just visited URA for the Draft master plan exhibitions. The staff there are very professional. Each region has its own specialist.

The lady in charge of North has explained to me why OCC color has changed from green to yellow - it is purely based on remaining lease. For the clubs running short of lease, the color will be changed to yellow - meaning under government review.
I have also asked why the plot ratio is 1.4, she said for those next to the reservoir, the plot ratio will be low.
I then asked whether the color will remain in green. She said too early to tell, but she assured there will be green pockets.

It is worthy visiting URA if you have time.

richwang
22-11-13, 18:08
Make it a CarPark , with a public Park and malls I say!

malls? if anyone suggests malls in New York Central Park, I don't think he can graduate from primary school in US. Indeed his parents would feel education FAILED. What a damage for the generations to come!

in Singapore? let's see whether we are First World or simply knowing how to count paper cash.

richwang
22-11-13, 18:11
URA open consultation ends in about one month's time. It will take them another 4-5 months to sort out the appeals and then gazette it.

sgbuyer
22-11-13, 19:26
malls? if anyone suggests malls in New York Central Park, I don't think he can graduate from primary school in US. Indeed his parents would feel education FAILED. What a damage for the generations to come!

in Singapore? let's see whether we are First World or simply knowing how to count paper cash.

I think having a hawker center similar to the one that East Coast park will be more beneficial than having a shopping center with expensive restaurants and foodcourt. That place is very short of eateries. Already, existing coffeeshops are very packed.

minority
22-11-13, 20:38

OCC is no central park lah. U are over dramatising a general piece of land.

minority
22-11-13, 20:41
I think having a hawker center similar to the one that East Coast park will be more beneficial than having a shopping center with expensive restaurants and foodcourt. That place is very short of eateries. Already, existing coffeeshops are very packed.

Sgpean are all very pampered 1. Food court must also be aircon. So give me a mall anyway. Throw in a libary n keep part of it as a park with jogging n cycling n yes also CAR park :)!!!!

Will be so ideal than a musky occ where most people cannot use.

richwang
23-11-13, 09:55

“Time after time, history demonstrates that when people don't want to believe something, they have enormous skills of ignoring it altogether.”
― Jim Butcher, Dead Beat

Would you consider to take out the signature? I know it costs you nothing when you post, but it is wasting other people's time to read them again and again (unless you can tell us part of your post are not meant for others to read. )

richwang
23-11-13, 10:02
Just called GolfKaki (6342 5188), they now manage two golf clubs: OCC and Maria Bay. Maria Bay is just next to NTUC "new" building. So over the years, the leaders are coming to OCC less and less. If one club has to go, it is very hard for the leaders to let go the one they play golf more often.

You won't believe it, but OCC is a victim of Maria Bay!

richwang
23-11-13, 10:04
I have called OCC (6759 2111), they mentioned The New Paper has reported OCC lease will not be renewed. She insisted it is not official yet.

Anyone has the link or contents of The New Paper report?

Thanks,

richwang
23-11-13, 10:10
Very hard... golf course's membership fee is very different.. The golf member can't complain about the non-renewal of lease as they all knew that their memberships are tied to the leasing of the land.

i guess those golf clubs which can renew their leasing will increase their membership's price.. :rolleyes:

Good point that different club has different rates, maybe some kind of top up (and then subside) should be considered.

As for the non-renewal, if it handled consistently across ALL golf clubs (ie, NONE of the golf club lease can be renewed), then it is fair.

Bear in mind, most (if not all) unions are OCC members. Union fund is a kind of public money, so we have public fund at risk.

sgbuyer
23-11-13, 10:12
Just called GolfKaki (6342 5188), they now manage two golf clubs: OCC and Maria Bay. Maria Bay is just next to NTUC "new" building. So over the years, the leaders are coming to OCC less and less. If one club has to go, it is very hard for the leaders to let go the one they play golf more often.

Add to that Lentor Ave and the bus lane. :p

NorthernStar
23-11-13, 10:34

Emm... to my understanding, mbgc also with very short leasing years.. it will be gone soon. Only those golf course along the flight path will b safe.. eg. Laguna, tmcc, seletar gc, nsrcc....sicc too many rich and powerful members, I guess it still get their land renewed.

richwang
23-11-13, 10:42
OCC current lease expires in Year 2022/2023 (less than 10 years left)

http://www.teeup-golf.com/cc/singapore/golf/orchid.htm

Start 1993 (30yrs)

minority
26-11-13, 17:21
I still think the OCC should give way to a more communal establishment be it a mall, park , school or library or hospital or carpark. should not waste the space where not everyone can access.

Shanhz
27-11-13, 08:01
I have just visited URA for the Draft master plan exhibitions. The staff there are very professional. Each region has its own specialist.

The lady in charge of North has explained to me why OCC color has changed from green to yellow - it is purely based on remaining lease. For the clubs running short of lease, the color will be changed to yellow - meaning under government review.
I have also asked why the plot ratio is 1.4, she said for those next to the reservoir, the plot ratio will be low.
I then asked whether the color will remain in green. She said too early to tell, but she assured there will be green pockets.

It is worthy visiting URA if you have time.

good update. i also visited last sat afternoon. the huge map of sgp is really impressive. every single block is there!!