PDA

View Full Version : lease contract ending

cash
28-10-13, 09:33
Hi everyone,

I am new and need some advise from the experts here.

My tenants is going to hand over my apartment soon and I have some issues.

They did not clean my apartment for the past 1.5 years and according to my agent, the kitchen and toliets are very dirty..... (imagine not washing the toilets bowl and tiles in the toliet).

i have asked them to engage a cleaner to clean the home regularly when I first realised the apt was quite dirty after 2 months they moved in. But apprarently, their agent (yaya type and new to rental mkt) has advised them it is not necessary to clean regularly as it is not stated in the contract. AS stated in the contract, they are supposed to hand over the apt in clean condition.

According to my agent, based on his experience, it is almost impossible to clean now but the tenant's agent is fighting against deducting deposit.

By the way, the tenants are from countries known to be very clean in Asia and I felt thatr their agent has given his wrong advice.

What should I do? Thanks.

DC33_2008
28-10-13, 10:00
IMO, you can ask your agent to inform tenant's agent to clean up the place and return in the original state. Otherwise, you will use the deposit to engage a cleaner. The professional cleaner can do quite a good job even in removing stubborn stains. This applies to any other things in the house unless it is something that is due to wear and tear. Leave it to your agent and stay out of it. I am sure there is a clause in your tenancy agreement that indicates the condition at which the unit should be returned to the landlord.
Hi everyone,

I am new and need some advise from the experts here.

My tenants is going to hand over my apartment soon and I have some issues.

They did not clean my apartment for the past 1.5 years and according to my agent, the kitchen and toliets are very dirty..... (imagine not washing the toilets bowl and tiles in the toliet).

i have asked them to engage a cleaner to clean the home regularly when I first realised the apt was quite dirty after 2 months they moved in. But apprarently, their agent (yaya type and new to rental mkt) has advised them it is not necessary to clean regularly as it is not stated in the contract. AS stated in the contract, they are supposed to hand over the apt in clean condition.

According to my agent, based on his experience, it is almost impossible to clean now but the tenant's agent is fighting against deducting deposit.

By the way, the tenants are from countries known to be very clean in Asia and I felt thatr their agent has given his wrong advice.

What should I do? Thanks.

cash
28-10-13, 10:32
IMO, you can ask your agent to inform tenant's agent to clean up the place and return in the original state. Otherwise, you will use the deposit to engage a cleaner. The professional cleaner can do quite a good job even in removing stubborn stains. This applies to any other things in the house unless it is something that is due to wear and tear. Leave it to your agent and stay out of it. I am sure there is a clause in your tenancy agreement that indicates the condition at which the unit should be returned to the landlord.

Thanks. My nice agent seems like unable to handle and wanted us to attend the handover too.

Beebot
28-10-13, 10:51
This is one of the landlord's nightmares. It seems to be pretty common; tenants not keeping the house clean. I am going to rent my apartment in 2 years time and am getting worried already.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

DC33_2008
28-10-13, 11:05
It is unfortunate that your agent cannot handle for you. I am sure he can seek advice from his/her agency. I will let them know that I will use the deposit to clean the place and restore it to its original condition. Inform them the cost of the cleaning and proceed with it. Furnish them them with a copy of the cleaning's receipt and return the balance. Remember to get a good agent for your next lease.
Thanks. My nice agent seems like unable to handle and wanted us to attend the handover too.

august
28-10-13, 11:19

it is okay to attend the handover. I do so but will let my agent talk to tenant on any matters, usually the tenant's own agent is nowhere to be found.
if no cleaning is done, engage your own and deduct the cost from the tenant's deposit, simple.

cash
28-10-13, 11:23
it is okay to attend the handover. I do so but will let my agent talk to tenant on any matters, usually the tenant's own agent is nowhere to be found.
if no cleaning is done, engage your own and deduct the cost from the tenant's deposit, simple.

The tenant agent will be attending too... Honestly, I cannot stay him...... damn yaya

august
28-10-13, 11:26
The tenant agent will be attending too... Honestly, I cannot stay him...... damn yaya

yup some can be quite attitude, but doesn't matter he/she is nobody.
just go by the contract terms.

cash
28-10-13, 11:54
yup some can be quite attitude, but doesn't matter he/she is nobody.
just go by the contract terms.

The point now is on the condition of "cleaniness". The tenant agent seems to have very low standard of cleaniess.

august
28-10-13, 12:01
The point now is on the condition of "cleaniness". The tenant agent seems to have very low standard of cleaniess.

why bother to get tangled into such details. Either they do the cleaning and show the result and receipt to prove it, or u engage your own and charge back to them.

Btw what is the nationality of the tenant? Filipino?

cash
28-10-13, 12:09
why bother to get tangled into such details. Either they do the cleaning and show the result and receipt to prove it, or u engage your own and charge back to them.

Btw what is the nationality of the tenant? Filipino?

you will be surprised, Japanese n Koreans.........

I rented out to them because I thought they know how to keep clean...... I have 3 other offfers at that time with simiiar rate

DC33_2008
28-10-13, 12:16
Had no problem with Japanese man before. It really boils down to individual and not nationality. May be couple is better.
you will be surprised, Japanese n Koreans.........

I rented out to them because I thought they know how to keep clean...... I have 3 other offfers at that time with simiiar rate

cash
04-11-13, 09:36
Just for update.....

Their agent was shocked by the condition...... and commented that this is the worse condition he has even hand over back to landlord

GORDON
04-11-13, 21:25
Just for update.....

Their agent was shocked by the condition...... and commented that this is the worse condition he has even hand over back to landlord

Just take video of the damage to keep as evidence
remember to charge the curtains dry-cleaning
just charge for air-con chemical cleaning
check mattress for menses /urine stain and charge accordingly
charge for blown bulbs
make sure toilets can flush n not blocked
washing machine working
charge for damage/missing oven/cooking hob knobs
check refrigerator for crack shelves
check for stuffed cigarette butts in bedframe hollow rods/aircon ledge and charge for odour elimination
charge for bed bug pest control
hope your deposit enough to cover

cash
05-11-13, 14:07
Just take video of the damage to keep as evidence
remember to charge the curtains dry-cleaning
just charge for air-con chemical cleaning
check mattress for menses /urine stain and charge accordingly
charge for blown bulbs
make sure toilets can flush n not blocked
washing machine working
charge for damage/missing oven/cooking hob knobs
check refrigerator for crack shelves
check for stuffed cigarette butts in bedframe hollow rods/aircon ledge and charge for odour elimination
charge for bed bug pest control
hope your deposit enough to cover

Thanks for your advice.... Already settled with them...... did not calculate all the damages.....as they are unwilling to bear in full. only refunding partial deposit.

I will relay both toilets, polish the living room floor and minor renovate for the kitchen and repaint the whole house.:doh:

Dont even assume that Japanese or korean professional are clean. For your info..... they worked in one of the largest company in the world.

Both agents and myself told them not to repeat the same thing again. So I believe the new landlord will not suffer the same as me. :cheers1:

GORDON
05-11-13, 20:27
Thanks for your advice.... Already settled with them...... did not calculate all the damages.....as they are unwilling to bear in full. only refunding partial deposit.

I will relay both toilets, polish the living room floor and minor renovate for the kitchen and repaint the whole house.:doh:

Dont even assume that Japanese or korean professional are clean. For your info..... they worked in one of the largest company in the world.

Both agents and myself told them not to repeat the same thing again. So I believe the new landlord will not suffer the same as me. :cheers1:

Your heart is magnanimous and LONG live the charitable

but the practical part is to state in the next TA ,tenant shall bear any damages once the premise is not returned, on handover, as in the original condition. SO best to take video, before handing over ,for the documentation.

cash
18-11-13, 13:09
Your heart is magnanimous and LONG live the charitable

but the practical part is to state in the next TA ,tenant shall bear any damages once the premise is not returned, on handover, as in the original condition. SO best to take video, before handing over ,for the documentation.

Some updates, the tenant wanted to see the bills before they allowed me to deduct the agreed amt from the deposit. I have some questions....

i did not fix some of the damages like replacing the damaged customised mirror con but channel the compensation to fix other problem like relay 2 toilets instead of the 1 as we could not clean the toilet floor(promised by cleaner but not fulfiled & condition worse than Sun Plaza's toliet)

My question are,

1. Can the tenant refused to pay me for not repairing the damage, like replacing with a cheap mirror instead of another customised mirror. (we quoted $120)

2. Can I ask for addition cost for relaying additional toilet as it cannot be cleaned?

Note: I didnt claim everything against them earlier as I wanted to close the case and move on but now the tenant wanted me to substantial the cost.

What should I do now? I was trying to limit the cost earlier but seems like backfire.

Thanks.

djam7773
18-11-13, 13:49
Hi Cash,

Try explaining to tenant that u actually tried to help? if it doesnt work, perhaps it s time ur agent do something to assist u?

Qn to all landloards,

Are you guys the hands-on type or just sit back and relac while agent does everything? And i mean everything...

For me, it s not easy to sit and relac, more the hands-on type.

Cheers,
Jam

auroraborealis
18-11-13, 14:07
some random ideas:

1) ask around if anybody has such receipts (family/friends/colleagues etc)

2) post your on gumtree or condosingapore or other forums for kind souls to donate their receipts if they purchase one recently

3) ask your agent to get you the receipt

4) if you already deducted the $$$, just ignore the tenant or threaten to sue them from damaging your property

5) go to popular, buy a receipt booklet and issue the receipt yourself

Some updates, the tenant wanted to see the bills before they allowed me to deduct the agreed amt from the deposit. I have some questions....

i did not fix some of the damages like replacing the damaged customised mirror con but channel the compensation to fix other problem like relay 2 toilets instead of the 1 as we could not clean the toilet floor(promised by cleaner but not fulfiled & condition worse than Sun Plaza's toliet)

My question are,

1. Can the tenant refused to pay me for not repairing the damage, like replacing with a cheap mirror instead of another customised mirror. (we quoted $120)

2. Can I ask for addition cost for relaying additional toilet as it cannot be cleaned?

Note: I didnt claim everything against them earlier as I wanted to close the case and move on but now the tenant wanted me to substantial the cost.

What should I do now? I was trying to limit the cost earlier but seems like backfire.

Thanks.

cash
18-11-13, 14:14
Hi Cash,

Try explaining to tenant that u actually tried to help? if it doesnt work, perhaps it s time ur agent do something to assist u?

Qn to all landloards,

Are you guys the hands-on type or just sit back and relac while agent does everything? And i mean everything...

For me, it s not easy to sit and relac, more the hands-on type.

Cheers,
Jam

That korean guy trying to fructuated everyone.... including the agents. His agent actually thanked me earlier for not being calculative...... but now it seems that I am being penalised for trying to save.

minority
18-11-13, 14:37
then u quote them more expensive than wat u quoted lor.

get a contractor to do. and ask the contractor put in the receipt the charges. the presentation of the bill can be nego 1 lah. As long its not too absurd.