PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here is MCST member/chairman??

radha08
27-10-13, 09:24
Please share your experiences...GOOD or BAD ...i am just curious
cos always wondered what its like to be part of MCST...

Seems like the AGM's are all VERY dramatic:)

mcmlxxvi
27-10-13, 09:30
Bro, only volunteer if you

1. Have too much spare time on hands
2. Intend to leverage your own contacts as suppliers
3. Have a serious lack of social life
4. Need to feel 'in control' at all times; or
5. Love your condo so much that you would do everything possible to have a chance to affect its maintenance and upkeep (just attending agm can vote already and question the mcst, no need to be on the commitee).

Fyi, my mm which is mostly tenanted, usually is the penthouse owner occupiers who are on the committee. And even have to beg people to attend the agm else motion cannot be passed (pun intended).

Besides, if you dont have financial background or know how to handle and manage suppliers etc, there is little that you can do on the committee I believe.

All admin and routine work are handled by the condo manager company anyways. We pay maintenance fees for exactly that.

mermaid
27-10-13, 09:43

bro, u intend to run for election after yr big 5 is completed huh, haha :D
honestly, I would prefer mcst to be run by ppl wif acctg background. They will do a better job, easily :)

acidic.straw
27-10-13, 10:17
You need a mix of people with various skills n experience - accountancy, contract mgt, engineering, law etc if possible as you will need to deal with a whole variety of issues.

Most important is you need a whole lot of common sense and good communication skills. Not all AGMs are drama, most are dull and empty and hv problem getting people into the mcst.

To be effective and to know when you are really doing, you need to read and have a good understanding of the building maint n strata mgt act. This will be your day n night bible without which you will be at the mercy of the managing agent.

Attendance will go up when there are issues that hit the pocket - parking restrictions n charges, raising of maint charges, etc. Basically, you will enjoy a quiet life when things are going smoothly and you will enjoy a life of hell when things go wrong. You will be the complaints dept whether you are working out at the gym or having a swim at the pool.

But at the end of the day, you will feel a sense of satisfaction becos you have a say and influence in how things are run. Instead of growling and barking like a mad dog, you can do something abt it.

mygeemeel
27-10-13, 10:47
Being inside mcst, the members got special treatment/benefits?

Ringo33
27-10-13, 10:49
To be a good chairman, you need to be a people person, you must be likable, very good at dealing with aunties and uncles, and CANNOT be hot headed or take things personal.

Ideally, the MSTC should make up of engineers, lawyers, accountants, procurement professionals, or even retirees

Ringo33
27-10-13, 10:56
honestly, I would prefer mcst to be run by ppl wif acctg background. They will do a better job, easily :)

You havent even collect your keys to your first property how are you supposed to know that people will accounting background WILL do a better job "EASILY"

Perhaps you think that running MCST is all about managing money and petty cash. :D

waterviewer88
27-10-13, 11:00
Being inside mcst, the members got special treatment/benefits?

The only special thing we enjoyed is free coffee/snacks during council meetings which can last for hours at times. Best is to keep yourselves "clean" else a simple anonymous complaint by anyone who holds a grudge against you will lead to a certain organisation inviting you for an overnight chat and free coffee:scared-3:

mermaid
27-10-13, 11:01
You need a mix of people with various skills n experience - accountancy, contract mgt, engineering, law etc if possible as you will need to deal with a whole variety of issues.

Most important is you need a whole lot of common sense and good communication skills. Not all AGMs are drama, most are dull and empty and hv problem getting people into the mcst.

To be effective and to know when you are really doing, you need to read and have a good understanding of the building maint n strata mgt act. This will be your day n night bible without which you will be at the mercy of the managing agent.

Attendance will go up when there are issues that hit the pocket - parking restrictions n charges, raising of maint charges, etc. Basically, you will enjoy a quiet life when things are going smoothly and you will enjoy a life of hell when things go wrong. You will be the complaints dept whether you are working out at the gym or having a swim at the pool.

But at the end of the day, you will feel a sense of satisfaction becos you have a say and influence in how things are run. Instead of growling and barking like a mad dog, you can do something abt it.
still will nid mad dogs wat :D
running a condo is machiam runing a biz. Nid core expertise fm engineering & procurement to run the biz, den nid the accountants or auditors to serve as watchdogs to enforce internal controls & ensure compliances wif those laws etc.
Nid ppl wif legal background?

mermaid
27-10-13, 11:28
You havent even collect your keys to your first property how are you supposed to know that people will accounting background WILL do a better job "EASILY"

Perhaps you think that running MCST is all about managing money and petty cash. :D

Perhaps u r mistaken tat accountants r dealing wif management of $ & petty cash only.

They r certainly more qualified than ppl who:

1. defames, make provocative & derogative remarks on others.
2. Enforcing personal opinions as facts
3. Ill mannered and hv no regards on others opinions.

Do u wan to dispute the above claims on u?

Dear Rev R33,
Do u not agree with me fully, without doubts or hesitation, on my assertion tat it will be a havoc to deploy someone of the follwing calibre to run the mgt of a condo well?

Actually why waste time on RCR? RCR is not exact CCR, like some half past size region, and yet you want to be so how lian in this forum.

Actually no money just buy OCR loh why must suffocate yourself to buy tiny apartment in RCR?

DC33_2008
27-10-13, 11:34
Just attended one yesterday. It is the profile of owners and experience of MA that are important. It went well even with a slight increase of maintenance fund. Residents are keen to take up roles in the MC. Will be attending another one in two weeks time. Just hope it will be peaceful one as the last one was fiery when people get too personal. :)

waterviewer88
27-10-13, 11:35
still will nid mad dogs wat :D
running a condo is machiam runing a biz. Nid core expertise fm engineering & procurement to run the biz, den nid the accountants or auditors to serve as watchdogs to enforce internal controls & ensure compliances wif those laws etc.
Nid ppl wif legal background?

Ya, some mad dogs help to keep the mcst on their toes but maybe toothless ones can already :D

Legal background is definitely a plus but surprisingly, I've had engineers, insurance agents, accountants, civil servants, managers but NOT one lawyer ever served in the MCST....maybe there are some in other condos.

mermaid
27-10-13, 11:51
Ya, some mad dogs help to keep the mcst on their toes but maybe toothless ones can already :D

Legal background is definitely a plus but surprisingly, I've had engineers, insurance agents, accountants, civil servants, managers but NOT one lawyer ever served in the MCST....maybe there are some in other condos.

accountants r watchdogs, not bloodhounds! haha :p

U wanna noe y u r most likely not be seeing lawyers in mcst?
Cos they hv a more impt role to play in our society; to run for the real election & ensure tat singaporeans' rights & entitlements r being safeguarded & not being short changed :)

EBD
27-10-13, 12:35

Yes, how are you supposed to know what makes good chairman when you haven't collected your keys.
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=441123&postcount=7

This is precisely why you attract so much crap on this board. Hold others to standards you can't keep yourself.

This one has to be world record in R33 hypocrisy ... The very next post!

Actually, you have not only not collected your keys , for all we know you haven't even bought anything at all as you refuse to even answer a yes / no question on the matter.
(again while demanding others answer yes/no questions from you)

Ps your original supposition that you need to have keys to your apartment to make a good comment on this matter is based on what ?
Pulled straight out of your rear end as usual.

radha08
27-10-13, 13:50

not really just a general question cos my previous condo as well as my friends and relatives condos all have a similar functioning....seems like during AGM there is a lot of banging table going on but REST of the year all the MCST members MIA(missing in action)..:doh:

So was just wondering what others feel about being part of the mcst...:rolleyes:

mermaid
27-10-13, 14:03
not really just a general question cos my previous condo as well as my friends and relatives condos all have a similar functioning....seems like during AGM there is a lot of banging table going on but REST of the year all the MCST members MIA(missing in action)..:doh:

So was just wondering what others feel about being part of the mcst...:rolleyes:

wah! Bang table?! so rich live in condo yet behave until so uncilvilised?

juz like DC33 has pointed out, the profile of the member is impt. But profile is not merely the educational background, occupation, the resposibility, integrity & creditibility of the chosen member is oso very impt. but the qn is, how do one noe?
If the wrong type of ppl who doesnt hv the best interest of the condo go in, will be jialat leh.

Can go n do a credit rating wif other condo on the said member bo?

radha08
27-10-13, 14:12
wah! Bang table?! so rich live in condo yet behave until so uncilvilised?

juz like DC33 has pointed out, the profile of the member is impt. But profile is not merely the educational background, occupation, the resposibility, integrity & creditibility of the chosen member is oso very impt. but the qn is, how do one noe?
If the wrong type of ppl who doesnt hv the best interest of the condo go in, will be jialat leh.

Can go n do a credit rating wif other condo on the said member bo?

u will be suprised people living in condo are worse behaved than hdb dwellers...my PERSONAL experience

hdb dwellers...easy going and down to earth

Landed dwellers...proud and mostly keep to themselves unless u know them for DONKEY years

condo dwellers...quite a few like to act like BIG F complain this complain that:doh:

anyway like i said this is MY personal experience others may have different views:rolleyes:

Ringo33
27-10-13, 14:55
Perhaps u r mistaken tat accountants r dealing wif management of $ & petty cash only.

They r certainly more qualified than ppl who:

1. defames, make provocative & derogative remarks on others.
2. Enforcing personal opinions as facts
3. Ill mannered and hv no regards on others opinions.

Do u wan to dispute the above claims on u?

Dear Rev R33,
Do u not agree with me fully, without doubts or hesitation, on my assertion tat it will be a havoc to deploy someone of the follwing calibre to run the mgt of a condo well?

In case people starting thinking that you are an empty vessel going around give empty talk. perhaps you could share with us use an accountant can do a better job as an chairman of committee "EASILY" ?

Very simple and direct question.

honestly, I would prefer mcst to be run by ppl wif acctg background. They will do a better job, easily

Ringo33
27-10-13, 14:57
Yes, how are you supposed to know what makes good chairman when you haven't collected your keys.
http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=441123&postcount=7

This is precisely why you attract so much crap on this board. Hold others to standards you can't keep yourself.

This one has to be world record in R33 hypocrisy ... The very next post!

Actually, you have not only not collected your keys , for all we know you haven't even bought anything at all as you refuse to even answer a yes / no question on the matter.
(again while demanding others answer yes/no questions from you)

Ps your original supposition that you need to have keys to your apartment to make a good comment on this matter is based on what ?
Pulled straight out of your rear end as usual.

HDB keys got power boh?? :D

mermaid
27-10-13, 16:27
In case people starting thinking that you are an empty vessel going around give empty talk. perhaps you could share with us use an accountant can do a better job as an chairman of committee "EASILY" ?

Very simple and direct question.

my humble opinion, stand to be corrected.

1. Set up control procedures to enforce adherence to guidelines & procedures laid down in AGM, EGM.

2. Ensure tat collections fm booking of facilities, maintenance fees are properly recorded, deposited & accounted for.

3. Ensure tat expenses incurred has been properly approved before commitment, all payments r made to genuine suppliers with proper receipts.

4. Ensure more than 1 quotations has been obtained with regards to procurement of services to ensure arm's length of svs provided, no conflicts of interests & prevent procurement personal to profiteering fm it.

5. Ensure there is proper segregation of duties to prevent fraud, misappropriation & misuse of sinking funds for unauthorised purposes.

6. Conduct surprise check on the custodian of petty cash.

7. Prepare cashflow statement to monitor the financial liquidity of the funds. Propose if add'l funds r reqd.

8. Prepare income & expense statement to monitor the usage of funds.

9. Perform forecast of expenses shd major repair/renovation is reqd.

10. Ensure timely submission of tax to regulatory bodies.

11. Perform audit to ensure completness, accuracy & reliabilty of the whole book keeping process.

acidic.straw
27-10-13, 16:38

bro, how do they go missing? Better check if money go missing too :)....anyway, you can request for minutes of the council mtg and see who the ones who chow-keng...maybe chairman..lol

Ringo33
27-10-13, 16:39
my humble opinion, stand to be corrected.

1. Set up control procedures to enforce adherence to guidelines & procedures laid down in AGM, EGM.

2. Ensure tat collections fm booking of facilities, maintenance fees are properly recorded, deposited & accounted for.

3. Ensure tat expenses incurred has been properly approved before commitment, all payments r made to genuine suppliers with proper receipts.

4. Ensure more than 1 quotations has been obtained with regards to procurement of services to ensure arm's length of svs provided, no conflicts of interests & prevent procurement personal to profiteering fm it.

5. Ensure there is proper segregation of duties to prevent fraud, misappropriation & misuse of sinking funds for unauthorised purposes.

6. Conduct surprise check on the custodian of petty cash.

7. Prepare cashflow statement to monitor the financial liquidity of the funds. Propose if add'l funds r reqd.

8. Prepare income & expense statement to monitor the usage of funds.

9. Perform forecast of expenses shd major repair/renovation is reqd.

10. Ensure timely submission of tax to regulatory bodies.

11. Perform audit to ensure completness, accuracy & reliabilty of the whole book keeping process.

Sounds like you are expecting the chairman to do the work of the managing agent. :)

radha08
27-10-13, 16:47
bro, how do they go missing? Better check if money go missing too :)....anyway, you can request for minutes of the council mtg and see who the ones who chow-keng...maybe chairman..lol

What I mean is they bo chup....never do their job after
Elected....see swimming pool dirty act blur....see drain
Choking act blur...got many of these type of mcst
Members...:doh:

DC33_2008
27-10-13, 16:56
MA must be sleeping too. :eek:

zzz1
27-10-13, 17:22

Some ppl claimed that joining mc have their own aganda, some believed that there are some honest ppl willing to give extra hours to help the estate.

I think that if they are willing and join, why not ? I sure they will benefit in their aganda in certain way..but at the same they also do the dog job even when only during near agm. That is life.

Better then these kpkb and contribute nothing! And during agm complain everything. .

mygeemeel
27-10-13, 17:27
If chairman does nothing then why he would volunteer himself? I am sure there must be something beneficial for him?

Why wouldn't the mcst members get some benefits for their time? Maybe like small allowances or discount in maintenance charges?

zzz1
27-10-13, 17:28
Bro, only volunteer if you

1. Have too much spare time on hands
2. Intend to leverage your own contacts as suppliers
3. Have a serious lack of social life
4. Need to feel 'in control' at all times; or
5. Love your condo so much that you would do everything possible to have a chance to affect its maintenance and upkeep (just attending agm can vote already and question the mcst, no need to be on the commitee).

Fyi, my mm which is mostly tenanted, usually is the penthouse owner occupiers who are on the committee. And even have to beg people to attend the agm else motion cannot be passed (pun intended).

Besides, if you dont have financial background or know how to handle and manage suppliers etc, there is little that you can do on the committee I believe.

All admin and routine work are handled by the condo manager company anyways. We pay maintenance fees for exactly that.

My neighbour is the chairman and I can tell that the lift breadown was repaired immediately, lobby is extra clean, light bulb is changed immediately if blow..

Don have to be chairman but stay beside equally tag along the perks..

CondoWE
27-10-13, 17:48

Hi bro,

You got my vote in 2~3 yrs time if you intend to be a MCST member...:D:D:D !

Douk
27-10-13, 18:21

Maybe they are not having sufficient fund to tackle these problems.

mermaid
27-10-13, 19:50
If chairman does nothing then why he would volunteer himself? I am sure there must be something beneficial for him?

Why wouldn't the mcst members get some benefits for their time? Maybe like small allowances or discount in maintenance charges?

chairman, mcst members all these unpaid one leh. Even if say they waive off yr maintenance fees is oso no big deal. Yr effort is worth more than these few hundred bucks if say u use the commited time to work part time.

triple70
27-10-13, 22:18
If u buy a Capitaland project, do u send the defect list to the Board of Capitaland?

Maintenance issues are handled by the MA, not the MCST.
Think u are barking up the wrong tree.
Feedback shd be addressed to the MA instead.

radha08
27-10-13, 22:21
Hi bro,

You got my vote in 2~3 yrs time if you intend to be a MCST member...:D:D:D !

haha...just tcss only la bro:D:D:D

radha08
27-10-13, 22:31
If u buy a Capitaland project, do u send the defect list to the Board of Capitaland?

Maintenance issues are handled by the MA, not the MCST.
Think u are barking up the wrong tree.
Feedback shd be addressed to the MA instead.

i know its the ma who handles the actual repairs and maintainance of
facilities but the very least members of the commitee can do is feedback to the MA...its just like when you hire someone to work he shines thru the interview but a few months down the road u know he cannot perform cos he bochup anyway like i said different people may have had different experiences with their ma/mcst afterall i thinking singapore got one of the the most condos apts in the world

radha08
27-10-13, 22:35

thats a good point should give members some discount for maint charges say 20 to 30%...wonder why no condo does this or is there:confused:

Ringo33
27-10-13, 22:42
facilities but the very least members of the commitee can do is feedback to the MA...its just like when you hire someone to work he shines thru the interview but a few months down the road u know he cannot perform cos he bochup anyway like i said different people may have had different experiences with their ma/mcst afterall i thinking singapore got one of the the most condos apts in the world

Its very common for condo to change Managing Agents these days and at the end of the day, they will always be about the same, because for MA to do a property job, they need budget and many condo committee or may I say residents are not willing to pay for it.

And during AGM, when the chairman announce a surplus residents complain asking why not reduce maintenance fee, when there is deficit residents complain over spent etc.

So next time you see committee members, tell them thanks you and good job.

radha08
27-10-13, 22:49
Its very common for condo to change Managing Agents these days and at the end of the day, they will always be about the same, because for MA to do a property job, they need budget and many condo committee or may I say residents are not willing to pay for it.

And during AGM, when the chairman announce a surplus residents complain asking why not reduce maintenance fee, when there is deficit residents complain over spent etc.

So next time you see committee members, tell them thanks you and good job.

bottomline its a thankless job:D:D:D

triple70
28-10-13, 08:27

A building can be managed cost effectively or can be managed to Ritz Carlton standard. Do u change every lightbulb once spoilt, or do a cyclic check once every month, especially when each time a high ceiling bulb needs to eract scalfolding that costs a few hundred each time.

I rather elect a MCST council member who believes in some ISO procedure rather than a member who is trigger happy to activate maintenance every single instance of non conformity.

All feedback shd be channelled to the MA, who will then have to seek council approval if there is cost implications to rectify the problem. The pool contractor is paid to maintain the pool on a regular cycle. Each ad-hoc visit outside of regular maintenance involves additional cost. As far as I know.. very few condos employ full time on-site maintenance staff that can attend to issues on the spot.

triple70
28-10-13, 08:53
thats a good point should give members some discount for maint charges say 20 to 30%...wonder why no condo does this or is there:confused:

It will be very interesting to see who will initiate and table this AGM agenda item to be put up for a vote. Surely someone will speculate about the agenda for such a motion.

Actually, serving on council is quite a meaningful role. It's the uncalled for personal attacks by naïve ppl that is really frustrating. And sad to say.. there are a lot of such ppl ard in Sg.

RSG
28-10-13, 08:53
bottomline its a thankless job:D:D:D

Yes, Radha its a thankless job indeed. Subsid proprietors of Condos dont realise the importance of a good MC (management committee / council). MA (Managing Agent) works for the MC (Management corporation) and its the Council that ensures that the MA does their job well. Too much dependency on the MA without proper supervision and accountability works tothe detriment of the MCorp which ulimately affect the Subsid proprietors in terms of poorly maintained condo which also affects the value of the condo. MC members are not the servants of the subsid proprietors. They are also subsid proprietors who volunteer their time to oversee the MA's managing of the condo with the interest of the condo as a whole. Its similar to the Management committee of the Town Counci. An ideal MC should include members from a diverse profession and experience.

RSG
28-10-13, 08:55
It will be very interesting to see who will initiate and table this AGM agenda item to be put up for a vote. Surely someone will speculate about the agenda for such a motion.

Actually, serving on council is quite a meaningful role. It's the uncalled for personal attacks by naïve ppl that is really frustrating. And sad to say.. there are a lot of such ppl ard in Sg.

Fullu agree.

acidic.straw
28-10-13, 10:40

Yes, it is a thankless job and you become a walking complaints dept for residents. Good idea that members should get some kind of allowance but this has to be done openly and subject to approval from residents else it's drink coffee time again :cheers1:

===============================
(2) A member of a council, or an officer or an agent or a managing agent of a management corporation, shall not use his position as a member of the council or as an officer, an agent or a managing agent of the management corporation to gain, directly or indirectly, an advantage for himself or for any other person or to cause detriment to the management corporation.
(3) Any person who commits a breach of any provision of this section shall — (a)
be liable to the management corporation for any profit made by him or for any damage suffered by the management corporation as a result of the breach of any such provision; and

(b)
be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both.

Ringo33
28-10-13, 10:53

dealing with residents is the toughest job as MC and the most of the time during AGM there will always be some monkeys who will argue over small things over and over again, and sometime even making personal attack. And as chairman of MC, the last thing you want is to get drawn into some kind of pointless argument.

Ringo33
28-10-13, 10:55
Yes, it is a thankless job and you become a walking complaints dept for residents. Good idea that members should get some kind of allowance but this has to be done openly and subject to approval from residents else it's drink coffee time again :cheers1:

===============================
(2) A member of a council, or an officer or an agent or a managing agent of a management corporation, shall not use his position as a member of the council or as an officer, an agent or a managing agent of the management corporation to gain, directly or indirectly, an advantage for himself or for any other person or to cause detriment to the management corporation.
(3) Any person who commits a breach of any provision of this section shall — (a)
be liable to the management corporation for any profit made by him or for any damage suffered by the management corporation as a result of the breach of any such provision; and

(b)
be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both.

It will be foolish for anyone to do that actually. Once you take the money from maintenance funds, you will become an "employee" or "cheap slave".

RSG
28-10-13, 11:17
It will be foolish for anyone to do that actually. Once you take the money from maintenance funds, you will become an "employee" or "cheap slave".

The Building Maintenance & Strata Mgmt Act (BMSMA) is undergoing amendment and is currently out for public consultation. There is a proposal to authorise max $250 per year per MC member as reimbursement for their expenses in carrying out the role. I agree with Ringo33 that once a member gets reimbursed, he or she loses the moral authority as a volunteer for the betterment of the condo. Subsid Proprietors will demand more output from them and end up as cheap labour.

acidic.straw
28-10-13, 13:22
The Building Maintenance & Strata Mgmt Act (BMSMA) is undergoing amendment and is currently out for public consultation. There is a proposal to authorise max $250 per year per MC member as reimbursement for their expenses in carrying out the role. I agree with Ringo33 that once a member gets reimbursed, he or she loses the moral authority as a volunteer for the betterment of the condo. Subsid Proprietors will demand more output from them and end up as cheap labour.

True...it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't :doh:

RSG
28-10-13, 14:30
True...it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't :doh:

Well said.

mygeemeel
28-10-13, 15:57
Did your mcst increase the share values of your condo?
Was it accepted during AGM?

RSG
28-10-13, 16:45
Did your mcst increase the share values of your condo?
Was it accepted during AGM?

If I am not wrong, share values need BCA approval and once approved cannot be changed. Only the $ per share value can be changed by the MC through voting at AGM or EGM.

acidic.straw
28-10-13, 17:18
If I am not wrong, share values need BCA approval and once approved cannot be changed. Only the $ per share value can be changed by the MC through voting at AGM or EGM.

Correct. Share value determined upon TOP using a magic formula that only BCA knows.

Ringo33
28-10-13, 17:27
Correct. Share value determined upon TOP using a magic formula that only BCA knows.

some info on SV. refer to page 3

http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/others/Share_Value_Guidelines.pdf

tedpoh
27-10-15, 16:45
Yes, Radha its a thankless job indeed. Subsid proprietors of Condos dont realise the importance of a good MC (management committee / council). MA (Managing Agent) works for the MC (Management corporation) and its the Council that ensures that the MA does their job well. Too much dependency on the MA without proper supervision and accountability works tothe detriment of the MCorp which ulimately affect the Subsid proprietors in terms of poorly maintained condo which also affects the value of the condo. MC members are not the servants of the subsid proprietors. They are also subsid proprietors who volunteer their time to oversee the MA's managing of the condo with the interest of the condo as a whole. Its similar to the Management committee of the Town Counci. An ideal MC should include members from a diverse profession and experience.

I agree that it is currently very difficult for the council members and/or residents to exercise some supervisory function over these MAs since they are not technically training and do not participate in the day-to-day operations of the projects in the condomnium. They have to rely a lot on their estate managers to look out for their interest. There is some attempt to make the processes more transparent such as getting three quotes, however, this is easily manipulated and could result in getting "milked" by the estate manager. Ultimately, there is difficulty in tracking the actions of the estate managers.

There is this webiste, www.pegaxis.com, which provides a solution which allows the MCSTs to post request for quotations to the open market and enable the MCST to get more competitive quotations from a wider pool of service providers. The software also increases trackability for the actions of estate manager. Perhaps, this will give the council and the residents the peace of mind that their EM is not milking them.

Arcachon
27-10-15, 18:59
https://www.facebook.com/groups/917833728302212/

proud owner
27-10-15, 22:32
I agree that it is currently very difficult for the council members and/or residents to exercise some supervisory function over these MAs since they are not technically training and do not participate in the day-to-day operations of the projects in the condomnium. They have to rely a lot on their estate managers to look out for their interest. There is some attempt to make the processes more transparent such as getting three quotes, however, this is easily manipulated and could result in getting "milked" by the estate manager. Ultimately, there is difficulty in tracking the actions of the estate managers.

There is this webiste, www.pegaxis.com, which provides a solution which allows the MCSTs to post request for quotations to the open market and enable the MCST to get more competitive quotations from a wider pool of service providers. The software also increases trackability for the actions of estate manager. Perhaps, this will give the council and the residents the peace of mind that their EM is not milking them.

a good MA should also supervise and guide the CM (council members)...

there are many estates, especially older estates where the CM are corrupt..

and MA looks to CM as there boss (pay master ) and do everything CM tells them to, even when they know it is wrong .

Recently, at a certain condo AGM, Cm proposed to engage consultant (made up of architect, engineer and building surveyor) at a cost of $70k to SUPERVISE the painting of the condo ...

the MA didnt even voice to the CM that theres no need for such a consultant.

luckily the SPs tossed it out..

many believe the CM was attempted to create job opportunities for themselves ... the chairman was a Surveyor.. and in the past he had paid himself some $200 per hr to some job ... awarded to himself ..