PDA

View Full Version : Tharman named finance minister of the year by Euromoney magazine

princess_morbucks
13-10-13, 11:37
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/tharman-named-finance-minister-the-year-euromoney-magazine-20131013

By Fiona Chan Senior Economics Correspondent

Singapore's push towards greater productivity has won its key architect and spokesman an award for good policymaking.
Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam was named Finance Minister of the Year by Euromoney magazine, a global banking and finance publication. He will receive the award today in a private presentation at the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) meetings in Washington.
The accolade recognises Mr Tharman's "over-arching role" in shifting Singapore's economic growth model from one dependent on an ever-expanding working population to a steadier platform of increasing productivity, Euromoney said yesterday.
The shift is taking place even while Singapore's status as an innovative trade and financial services hub to diversified export markets is being maintained.

lionhill
13-10-13, 14:44
Looking at the reasons given by IMF, I thought those are the combined jobs and contributions from many ministries like MTI, MOM, NTUC, MAS, MHA, etc? May be the honour should go to PM Lee instead of Tharman for having done a good job coordinating all these ministries and making sure they collaborate and work well with other? Don't think a Finance Minister has control over MTI, MOM, NTUC, MHA right?

Copied from the WEST thread. I cannot agree more with teddybear on this.

I still remember the calls Tharman has proposed when he was Ministry of Education, such as "Teach less, learn more", and his comments in Chinese education.

Maybe, he is better at Finance than Educating the young.

teddybear
13-10-13, 17:14
"Teach less learn more!" is a mocking joke! Preciously, the school is teaching less and 97% students have no choice but have to subscribe tuitions to learn enough to answer PSLE n IP questions!

BTW, what was his comment on Chinese education?

Copied from the WEST thread. I cannot agree more with teddybear on this.

I still remember the calls Tharman has proposed when he was Ministry of Education, such as "Teach less, learn more", and his comments in Chinese education.

Maybe, he is better at Finance than Educating the young.

Arcachon
13-10-13, 17:16
So what have you learn in school that you have to unlearn it when you work.

Singapore school system is the best in the world in programming the type of worker they need.

lionhill
13-10-13, 20:30
"Teach less learn more!" is a mocking joke! Preciously, the school is teaching less and 97% students have no choice but have to subscribe tuitions to learn enough to answer PSLE n IP questions!

BTW, what was his comment on Chinese education?

I was referring to the discussion of lowering the weightage of Chinese language in 2010, and I have just realized it was Ng Eng Hen, not Tharman who brought up it.

radha08
13-10-13, 23:15
So what have you learn in school that you have to unlearn it when you work.

Singapore school system is the best in the world in programming the type of worker they need.

school followed by NS u mean...:)

k00L
14-10-13, 23:16
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/tharman-named-finance-minister-the-year-euromoney-magazine-20131013

By Fiona Chan Senior Economics Correspondent

Singapore's push towards greater productivity has won its key architect and spokesman an award for good policymaking.
Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam was named Finance Minister of the Year by Euromoney magazine, a global banking and finance publication. He will receive the award today in a private presentation at the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) meetings in Washington.
The accolade recognises Mr Tharman's "over-arching role" in shifting Singapore's economic growth model from one dependent on an ever-expanding working population to a steadier platform of increasing productivity, Euromoney said yesterday.
The shift is taking place even while Singapore's status as an innovative trade and financial services hub to diversified export markets is being maintained.

Mr Tharman is both chairman of central bank and the finance minister. In the western world, there is no such double-hatting. Maybe this is uniquely singapore where we always have +ve fiscal surplus, so there is no moral hazard