PDA

View Full Version : Low rise vs high rise

Ringo33
12-10-13, 12:13
Was just having a discussion with someone recently about the pros and cons of buying high rise vs low rise development for investment. When I say low rise, I mean around 5 to 8 stories, while high rise could mean anything from 30 floors and higher.

Which one do you think are more attractive to expat tenants? OR perhaps, which one will generate higher rental returns or better tenants

I have noticed several low rise project which are extremely popular among expats, e.g. Varsity Park, Clementi Wood, Glentress etc.

lionhill
12-10-13, 12:24
Was just having a discussion with someone recently about the pros and cons of buying high rise vs low rise development for investment. When I say low rise, I mean around 5 to 8 stories, while high rise could mean anything from 30 floors and higher.

Which one do you think are more attractive to expat tenants? OR perhaps, which one will generate higher rental returns or better tenants

I have noticed several low rise project which are extremely popular among expats, e.g. Varsity Park, Clementi Wood, Glentress etc.
I do not think high-rise or low-rise is the only factor. I am a high-rise goer (windy and no mosquitoes), but when I went into Varsity Park, I liked it immediately. Not because it is low-rise, but the overall feeling of home, privacy and comfort.

Ringo33
12-10-13, 12:27
I do not think high-rise or low-rise is the only factor. I am a high-rise goer (windy and no mosquitoes), but when I went into Varsity Park, I liked it immediately. Not because it is low-rise, but the overall feeling of home, privacy and comfort.

actually from what I gathered, foreigners who live in big countries are not very comfortable with high rise apartment. perhaps due to fear of heights.

And then there are also some very superstitious people who think that living too high up is also no good.

DC33_2008
12-10-13, 15:47
I believe it depends on whether they are a city or county side person. I got a couple who came viewing the 33-storey apartment and the wife was so scared to walk near the balcony. Another British guy who like the view of the flyer and sea took it immediately.

blackjack21trader
12-10-13, 16:06
Pls la, only high earners will be your tenants for high rise because these are usually bankers from the city area. For industralists kind, I think they prefer low rise. That explain why The Cliff and The Sail can command a higher rental than the inner city fringe side lor.

blackjack21trader
12-10-13, 16:09
you guys should direct such questions in future to an old bird like me. I have been renting out to expats since I was 19 years old.

Good Luck.

blackjack21trader
12-10-13, 16:13
A New Yorker who rented my terrace in bukit timah once asked me if I have another property available for him in city. I told him city no landed la. He said he did not mind cramping his 3 person family into my 700sqft highrise condo in shentonway hor !

True enough, 10 years later, you see them family living in small highrise apartment in marina bay area.

I was like...........:doh::doh::doh:

blackjack21trader
12-10-13, 16:17
Those that used to rent GCB CEOs are also moving into smaller Semi-D in RCR like Katong area.

Good Luck, you will all need it especially if you own GCBs.

azeoprop
12-10-13, 16:41
Low rise is good provided you do not have high rise neighbours overlooking you. Also landscaping is very important for low rise developments to get that resort feel. ;)

Ringo33
12-10-13, 16:58
Pls la, only high earners will be your tenants for high rise because these are usually bankers from the city area. For industralists kind, I think they prefer low rise. That explain why The Cliff and The Sail can command a higher rental than the inner city fringe side lor.

I dont think there is any link between wealth and high rise actually. AFAIK, there are people paying over $20K rent a month to renting Nassim Park Residence which is a low rise development.

Ringo33
12-10-13, 17:01
Low rise is good provided you do not have high rise neighbours overlooking you. Also landscaping is very important for low rise developments to get that resort feel. ;)

Of course we dont consider those small development like those we see in D15. For bigger development with family size apartment, i think it does offer a very unique charm as compared to those highrise apartment.

And I believe highrise apartment are getting very common these days where as good low rise development are hard to come by.

proud owner
12-10-13, 18:00
Of course we dont consider those small development like those we see in D15. For bigger development with family size apartment, i think it does offer a very unique charm as compared to those highrise apartment.

And I believe highrise apartment are getting very common these days where as good low rise development are hard to come by.

my personal experience as a landlord...

young and single ang moh prefer high rise
young and married ang moh with kids prefer low rise / landed

it is true that a lot of ang moh women damn scare of high rise .. and mind you they live in the city back home.. just that their high rise is much lower ...

azeoprop
12-10-13, 18:02
Some low rise condo pictures:
The Peak
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/13149870/for-sale-the-peak

Canberra Residences
http://www.saaarchitects.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/01.jpg

The Raintree
http://www.h88.com.sg/article/Condo+Photo+Review%3A+The+Raintree/

Terrene @ bukit timah
http://s3images.sg.ippstatic.com/listings/640/9387/43d1e7938f234d62b7e5dd35194fe79e.jpg

Ferraria park condo
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/24789_372573789314_5318968_n.jpg