PDA

View Full Version : Falling COVs: A step towards affordability?

reporter2
10-10-13, 14:29
http://www.todayonline.com/business/property/falling-covs-step-towards-affordability

Falling COVs: A step towards affordability?

By Adam Rahman
-
27 September

Data published by the Singapore Real Estate Exchange (SRX) early this month showed Cash-Over-Valuation (COV) premiums for Housing and Development Board (HDB) resale flats extending their downward trend to hit a four-year low, shining like a beacon of hope to long-suffering buyers.

Sentiment towards COVs, often deemed to be an unfair negotiation tactic employed by property sellers for a quick profit, worsened when news broke several years earlier that a number of resale flats were sold at premiums exceeding S$100,000. This resulted in many clamouring for the Government to take action, with the more vocal ones demanding that the system be scrapped altogether.

The frustration over the payment of what most define to be “ridiculously high” costs on top of a HDB unit’s market valuation cast the spotlight on the concerns over public housing affordability, most acutely felt by young couples and families trying to find a place to call home.

Such is the case in Toa Payoh. A bastion of affordable public housing since the 1960s, it has now earned the reputation of being one of the most expensive districts to buy into, with a number of flats there commanding COVs over S$100,000. Compared to the other uniquely Singapore pricing mechanism — the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) for cars, the COVs for these choice Toa Payoh units consistently outperform.

Falling COVs, therefore, offer hope, especially with analysts predicting further declines. As more resale flats change hands with low or no COVs, prospective buyers are keeping their fingers crossed, hoping that this trend will finally bring down the price of resale flats to reasonable levels.

This is especially so in light of the slew of measures the Government has introduced since the start of the year to tame the property market, with the latest placing stricter controls on purchases by Permanent Residents (PRs).

Will balance be restored to the HDB resale market? Or are we placing blind faith in the downward trajectory of COVs in the hope that positive change will take place in the market?

Based on historical data, it can be seen that while median COVs for resale units have seen a significant drop across the island, the declines vary widely by region.

As seen from Graph 1, estates closer to the city, denoted under the “Central” category, such as Bukit Merah and Kallang/Whampoa, as well as those in the North, such as Bishan, Toa Payoh and Ang Mo Kio, typically tend to attract higher COVs and experience a slower rate of decline.

More specifically, while the Central and the North saw a drop of only 0.25 and 2.94 per cent in median COVs for four- and five- room HDB units, respectively, between the first two quarters of 2013, the East, West and North-Eastern regions in particular faced a steeper drop of between 18.5 and 19.8 per cent within the same period.

Despite the overall falling trend, there is still a marked difference in COV levels in certain areas compared to 2011. Most notable are the patterns seen in both the Northern and Central regions, where the fall in COVs has not offset the rise beginning from Q1 2011.

Currently, the median COVs for the North and Central regions stand at over S$39,000 and S$53,600, respectively, for four- and five-room flats, which are still 51 and 49 per cent more than the base values of COVs in Q1 2011.

In the North, where there has been strong demand and equally high resale prices, it is inevitable that the COVs of the districts located in this region are higher as well. As seen in Graphs 2 and 3, the median COV for prime districts like Bishan, Toa Payoh and Ang Mo Kio continue to hover above the S$60,000 mark for five-room flats and have almost doubled from two years before for four-room flats.

The logic holds true even for areas that experienced a larger decrease in COVs. Districts in the East such as Pasir Ris, as well as those in the West like Jurong East, recorded significant increases in COVs when measured over the two-year period. For the former, COVs for four-room flats saw a 52 per cent increase in median price levels, while the latter which fetched an estimated 75 per cent rise.

Judging from these results, public housing affordability will remain an issue, at least until the COVs are brought down sufficiently to match levels seen in earlier years.

Also, given that demand far outstripping supply was a major factor in pushing COVs to sky-high levels in the first place, it remains to be seen whether this can be mitigated as the impact of the new government rulings and the introduction of new housing projects feed through the market.

Adam Rahman is Senior Marketing Executive at PropertyGuru.

thomastansb
10-10-13, 16:10
HDB resale price should just drop 200k and go back to 280k for Punggol and Sengkang. Not bad. We should release more HDB and wait for the Tsunami.

Arcachon
10-10-13, 18:30
USD 85 Billion a month printing monster how to get cheap HDB.

sgbuyer
10-10-13, 18:40
HDB resale price should just drop 200k and go back to 280k for Punggol and Sengkang. Not bad. We should release more HDB and wait for the Tsunami.

Whether the price drops to $280k or even back to the $140k price in 2003, it won't matter because the majority won't be selling their home.

But the for those who are renting out rooms or even entire flat, there's going to be a problem when the hundreds of thousands of condo rooms flood the market next few years.

Who will rent hdb room when you can get a condo room with swimming pool and gym for $600 a month?

It won't be long before even Bangla workers can enjoy condo facilities.

radha08
10-10-13, 23:49

i really looking forward to $1 plate of wan ton mee:cool:

tradert
11-10-13, 00:44
6.9 mil upwards. You expect HDB to drop to pre-2006 price?

RCT
11-10-13, 07:07
6.9 mil upwards. You expect HDB to drop to pre-2006 price?

Anything is possible...

Ringo33
11-10-13, 07:45
COV = Cash over Valuation = (Actual selling price - Valuation)

So my question is, is this a result of Selling price coming down or valuation going up?

Sam88
11-10-13, 07:47
Anything is possible...

Brudder, everything is possible for sure... The question is what are % to that possibility????

RCT
11-10-13, 14:38
Brudder, everything is possible for sure... The question is what are % to that possibility????

Don't ask me... How I know... Hahaha... And I guess no one here knows.. How low it will go depends on what is the real value of the HDB..

mermaid
11-10-13, 14:40
i really looking forward to $1 plate of wan ton mee:cool:

when u finally get to eat yr $1 wan tan mee again, u will eat wif tears flowing down yr cheeks :tsk-tsk:

chestnut
11-10-13, 14:44
Don't ask me... How I know... Hahaha... And I guess no one here knows.. How low it will go depends on what is the real value of the HDB..

Brudder, you have to take into account inflation......

chestnut
11-10-13, 14:46
when u finally get to eat yr $1 wan tan mee again, u will eat wif tears flowing down yr cheeks :tsk-tsk:

Sis, when want tan mee is S$1.... Thats where you really can make money.... If you can buy and hold.... So most will have tears... and a few will be giggling..... ;);)

Thats why it is important to always put aside some cash when and if it does happen....

mermaid
11-10-13, 14:54
Sis, when want tan mee is S$1.... Thats where you really can make money.... If you can buy and hold.... So most will have tears... and a few will be giggling..... ;);)

Thats why it is important to always put aside some cash when and if it does happen....

seriously, even when it crash until very jialat in sg, wan tan mee oso wun go back to $1 la ...

chestnut
11-10-13, 15:11
seriously, even when it crash until very jialat in sg, wan tan mee oso wun go back to $1 la ...

true, true... But I know you are bioing....

mermaid
11-10-13, 15:29
true, true... But I know you are bioing....

of cos Im bio-ing cos I missed the boat deep deep la :mad:

chestnut
11-10-13, 15:34
of cos Im bio-ing cos I missed the boat deep deep la :mad:

Wish you good luck !!!! The cycle will repeat lar.... But I share with you my opinion (I not always rite one hor).....

The next recession will be quite a distant away (more than a year away, at least... I may be wrong hor).... how long more will be QE??? with all this control measures from govt, the bubble has been "prevented"....The tap can be turn on hor....

the govt damn solid.... they are running Singapore Inc... Or should I say Singapore Pte Ltd....

mermaid
11-10-13, 15:41
The next recession will be quite a distant away (more than a year away, at least... I may be wrong hor)

yeah, I oso feel for the next 1/2 yr, prices may still not be attractive enuff ...
Im actually looking at 2015 mid onwards.

hopefully absd will be gone too.