PDA

View Full Version : Migration

mummy
10-10-13, 04:36
Anyone thought of migrating before ?

Lovelle
10-10-13, 09:41
Anyone thought of migrating before ?

constantly but thinking that being discriminated in other country stop me from trying. I am alright to be discriminated but not my children

mermaid
10-10-13, 09:56
constantly but thinking that being discriminated in other country stop me from trying. I am alright to be discriminated but not my children

Im constantly tinking too.
Singapore is not an ideal place for retirement.
but definitely wun choose Msia.

chiaberry
10-10-13, 10:01
Have lived and worked abroad but am happy to stay in Singapore. Income tax regime is benign, it is safe for kids to go around by themselves, education and healthcare system are significantly above average when compared to other countries. We could do with cooler weather but then at least we don't have to battle ice and snow during winter to get to work.

chestnut
10-10-13, 10:06
The grass always seems to be greener at the other end???

Which part of Singapore u all do not like ???? If u can identify the issue, u can then work towards a solution around it....

I felt it was the money part....things are getting expensive, so I took a proactive step to read and invest and also get better increment.... Easier said than done though... But that was my plan and it worked out.... Luckily.... If I did not plan, I think it would be a 5% chance of achieving... I hope you all take my input as a sharing exercise.... Tats all....;)

mermaid
10-10-13, 10:41
The grass always seems to be greener at the other end???

Which part of Singapore u all do not like ???? If u can identify the issue, u can then work towards a solution around it....

I felt it was the money part....things are getting expensive, so I took a proactive step to read and invest and also get better increment.... Easier said than done though... But that was my plan and it worked out.... Luckily.... If I did not plan, I think it would be a 5% chance of achieving... I hope you all take my input as a sharing exercise.... Tats all....;)

spore is a very boring place. when one retire, one will hope to go a place nearby to watch cascading waterfall, admire mountains wif spectacular views etc ... spore got wat?
oni can go & eat n go shopping mall to enjoy free aircon nia :banghead:

Sam88
10-10-13, 10:43
spore is a very boring place. when one retire, one will hope to go a place nearby to watch cascading waterfall, admire mountains wif spectacular views etc ... spore got wat?
oni can go & eat n go shopping mall to enjoy free aircon nia :banghead:

Can travel leh ....

mermaid
10-10-13, 10:49
Can travel leh ....

so I nid to travel every mth to Canada watch the waterfall, Switzerland/Japan to admire the mountains, Europe to admire the magnificent towers? :banghead:

onglai
10-10-13, 10:59
so I nid to travel every mth to Canada watch the waterfall, Switzerland/Japan to admire the mountains, Europe to admire the magnificent towers? :banghead:

same wat.. if u migrate to say canada, still have to fly to Switzerland/Japan to admire the mountains, Europe to admire the magnificent towers etc...

mermaid
10-10-13, 11:03
same wat.. if u migrate to say canada, still have to fly to Switzerland/Japan to admire the mountains, Europe to admire the magnificent towers etc...

no wat ...
at least I can keep myself occupied wif a decent place of interest in Canada each week ...

spore has nothing, only tonnes & tonnes of foreign talents swamping in to invade u of yr privacy.

star
10-10-13, 12:27
no wat ...
at least I can keep myself occupied wif a decent place of interest in Canada each week ...

spore has nothing, only tonnes & tonnes of foreign talents swamping in to invade u of yr privacy.

When u are in canada u will get invade by tons and tons of canadians. :banghead:

chestnut
10-10-13, 12:50

when in Canada -
When u go watch the waterfalls, is your house nearby??? Or u need to travel a few hours there??? Or will u be renting a place or staying at hotel???

When u sick of waterfalls, how???

Have u tried staying in a country that has winter??? Have u experienced depression during winter??? It is really depressing leh and brings u down....

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/seasonal-affective-disorder

The sky is dark, the weather is chilling, the trees are botak... U just feel so down.... U wear thick clothing... Your bone ache...

Try staying for a few months during winter... No fun...

If u have and enjoyed that, good for you... U can try migrating Canada...

My biggest concern is family ties and support... Even friends...;)

chestnut
10-10-13, 12:55
When u are in canada u will get invade by tons and tons of canadians. :banghead:

Actually, the tide is turn... Now they think of u like we think of the foreigners....

So now u will become an alien in a country... They will give u that stare... And it becomes more obvious with the colour of the skin....

And u are rite... There are more foreigners in Canada (when u migrate) then when u are in Singapore. Hahahahaha

princess_morbucks
10-10-13, 13:01
Hi bro chestnut, I agree with you.
My fren migrated to Canada and for the first 2 years, life was a bed of roses.
They traveled around and enjoyed the fresh air, beautiful scenery and the mountains.
After that , reality set in.
Money ran out and he had to find a proper job.
That's when the problems started.
Wife had a nervous breakdown.
He went to another state to work, leaving her with 3 kids to manage on her own.
When you are there alone, it is dreadful during the winter months.
So now, the whole family has moved over to the other state to be with him, and of course his kids had to undergo the stress of starting life in another school all over again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Moral of the story : If you are not birds, do not think of migration so readily :D.

DayDreamer
10-10-13, 13:55
My wife and I lived in Buffalo, NY for about 5 years, because we were so close to Lake Erie, winter months were a drag. Super cold because of lake effect.

The routine was to put on jacket, scrapped car windscreen, drink hot coffee. It was very dangerous to drive during winter months.

We had a really bad winter storm in 2001. The city was shut down. The snow covered everything. Cars were abandoned on the highway, people had to sleep in office.

We were lucky to get home as we managed to dig our car out before the storm got really bad but for the next few days, we could not get out of the house.

Interesting times for both of us but I decided to go to Singapore. My wife stayed for another 5 years in NYC.

When the time came to settle down and start a family, we chose Singapore.

Sandiwara
10-10-13, 14:06
My wife and I lived in Buffalo, NY for about 5 years, because we were so close to Lake Erie, winter months were a drag. Super cold because of lake effect.

The routine was to put on jacket, scrapped car windscreen, drink hot coffee. It was very dangerous to drive during winter months.

We had a really bad winter storm in 2001. The city was shut down. The snow covered everything. Cars were abandoned on the highway, people had to sleep in office.

We were lucky to get home as we managed to dig our car out before the storm got really bad but for the next few days, we could not get out of the house.

Interesting times for both of us but I decided to go to Singapore. My wife stayed for another 5 years in NYC.

When the time came to settle down and start a family, we chose Singapore.

Financially Singapore is good for Young (productive) People and Rich People. It's definitely not easy for old and retired people. If I look my self today, financially I cannot afford to retire in Singapore.

DayDreamer
10-10-13, 14:50
Financially Singapore is good for Young (productive) People and Rich People. It's definitely not easy for old and retired people. If I look my self today, financially I cannot afford to retire in Singapore.

True, that's why got to work harder. :p
Actually, Singapore government is doing a good job, just from my perspective.

In NYC, you see beggars/homeless people on the street, in the subway. Plenty of soup kitchen. Even in Tokyo.

indomie
10-10-13, 14:59
True, that's why got to work harder. :p
Actually, Singapore government is doing a good job, just from my perspective.

In NYC, you see beggars/homeless people on the street, in the subway. Plenty of soup kitchen. Even in Tokyo.
Can u imagine sg without hdb system? Thanks to hdb system most folks can retire.

azeoprop
10-10-13, 15:07
Retire in china? :rolleyes:

wirehtc
10-10-13, 15:14
Actually, the tide is turn... Now they think of u like we think of the foreigners....

So now u will become an alien in a country... They will give u that stare... And it becomes more obvious with the colour of the skin....

And u are rite... There are more foreigners in Canada (when u migrate) then when u are in Singapore. Hahahahaha

In some countries in Europe, foreigners are simply called aliens. There will be aliens office to handle VISAs etc.

DayDreamer
10-10-13, 15:20
Can u imagine sg without hdb system? Thanks to hdb system most folks can retire.

Yes, very true.

In NYC, they also have hdb. They are call "projects" but for the low income. Very different standards.

DayDreamer
10-10-13, 15:42
In some countries in Europe, foreigners are simply called aliens. There will be aliens office to handle VISAs etc.

Same in US - Illegal Aliens.

During and after 9/11, I had a hard time going into US because I am Malaysian. They don't know the difference. I told them I am Chinese but in their mind I am a muslim. Haizzzz....:banghead:

At JFK, I will be sent to a different custom department for processing.
There you will see people from middle east, eastern european, indian, south american and there I was every time. 2-3 hours of waiting time. Sad.

sgbuyer
10-10-13, 15:53

So you want to retire old and lonely in some foreign country?

chestnut
10-10-13, 15:55

Bro, that's why whenever I go USA I will paint myself green and put on my 2 antennas.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)

Learner
10-10-13, 15:58
I still prefer to retire in Singapore. I see challenges so I hope to do something to prepare now when I can.

chestnut
10-10-13, 15:59
Malaysians were under radar then.... U needed visa to get to USA the and even applying for visa was a nitemare....

Oh yes, those days, u needed to be at the airport real early to leave us to come home.... Especially LA... The security check was impeccable....

But I can understand...

During and after 9/11, I had a hard time going into US because I am Malaysian. They don't know the difference. I told them I am Chinese but in their mind I am a muslim. Haizzzz....:banghead:

There you will see people from middle east, eastern european, indian, south american and there I was every time. 2-3 hours of waiting time. Sad.

sgbuyer
10-10-13, 16:08
I still prefer to retire in Singapore. I see challenges so I hope to do something to prepare now when I can.

There's no where to run unless you're very very rich. Something like Robert Kuok, his children can go anywhere. One day in Hong Kong, another day in Canada. All work done by his dozens of GMs and MD of various companies.

People give themselves false hope of paradise so that they can endure the hardship.

In order to achieve this "paradise", they work very hard and sacrifice their health and end up with none.

Wynyard
10-10-13, 16:12
Retire in china? :rolleyes:

Lived in Beijing for a while. Totally cannot stand the uncivilised pple over there :simmering:

Learner
10-10-13, 16:17
There's no where to run unless you're very very rich. Something like Robert Kuok, his children can go anywhere. One day in Hong Kong, another day in Canada. All work done by his dozens of GMs and MD of various companies.

People give themselves false hope of paradise so that they can endure the hardship.

In order to achieve this "paradise", they work very hard and sacrifice their health and end up with none.

Hehe I am certainly not rich (yet ;) ). But I don't think I am driving myself too hard either.

I just feel that there are pros and cons in every place. If I go to another place I will just come to another set of challenges. So I might as well stay put and see how to overcome these challenges. At least being local the learning curve to overcome them is less steep.

mummy
10-10-13, 17:16
no wat ...

Agree, Singapore is a very boring place, but I guess we can also explore the nooks and cranies and go to museums and farms in Singapore with the children. Can learn flying too and sailing. The east coast park has a nice skating lake which I want to try. And go rollerblading and run marathons, not that I can...but I want to learn. I guess impt thing is to take up a healthy sport as a hobby or indulge in art/music. May be able to sell your painting if they are good.

Actually can start a business by getting the contacts of good artists in China or New Zealand and sell them here also since you sound like you like to travel.

mummy
10-10-13, 17:34

I agree...Singapore is good to work and earn money for now while the currency is strong and economy good but touchwood, anything can happen...who can tell the future, we need a strong and good government to lead us forward...Just want to retire with dignity and be financially free as soon as possible so that I can pursue my real dreams after providing for my family...

mermaid
10-10-13, 17:54

I would rather be invaded by Canadians den uncivilised foreign talents who talk loudy, jump queue etc ...

when in Canada -
When u go watch the waterfalls, is your house nearby??? Or u need to travel a few hours there??? Or will u be renting a place or staying at hotel???

When u sick of waterfalls, how???

Have u tried staying in a country that has winter??? Have u experienced depression during winter??? It is really depressing leh and brings u down....

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/seasonal-affective-disorder

The sky is dark, the weather is chilling, the trees are botak... U just feel so down.... U wear thick clothing... Your bone ache...

Try staying for a few months during winter... No fun...

If u have and enjoyed that, good for you... U can try migrating Canada...

My biggest concern is family ties and support... Even friends...;)

cananda is juz an example nia.
sick of mountains, waterfalls etc is always better dun sick of having nothing :tongue3:
basically wat I mean is tat Spore basically got nothing to look forward after one retire :banghead:

chestnut
10-10-13, 18:01
I would rather be invaded by Canadians den uncivilised foreign talents who talk loudy, jump queue etc ...

cananda is juz an example nia.
sick of mountains, waterfalls etc is always better dun sick of having nothing :tongue3:
basically wat I mean is tat Spore basically got nothing to look forward after one retire :banghead:

But remember, u have a choice.....

If u feel sick about something. U either do something about it or learn to love it...

Give u example :
U always walk 1 km to mrt to go work... U sick of it...
U either work towards getting a car or living with it...

To get a car - find rich girlfriend, save money. Etc...

Cannot get car, tell yourself, mrt save money leh, walking is healthy leh....

If not will always be sad leh..... Must find solution lor...

And hypo assume in Canada... The other side will be the one to pass remarks tp u.... Ad u have to LL and suck it up....:banghead:

mermaid
10-10-13, 18:03
Agree, Singapore is a very boring place, but I guess we can also explore the nooks and cranies and go to museums and farms in Singapore with the children. Can learn flying too and sailing. The east coast park has a nice skating lake which I want to try. And go rollerblading and run marathons, not that I can...but I want to learn. I guess impt thing is to take up a healthy sport as a hobby or indulge in art/music. May be able to sell your painting if they are good.

Actually can start a business by getting the contacts of good artists in China or New Zealand and sell them here also since you sound like you like to travel.

Im single so dun nid to hv too much money.
juz enuff to enjoy life till I die.
I suppose when I hit 1 mil total assets will be enuff, seriously.
so I nid to retire b4 45 yrs old else wait I accum too much wealth I cannot finish spending will be very :banghead:

hmmm ... I always tink wat I shd do after I retire?
I dun like pets leh :(
so maybe I will pursue music lor ... and go tour 6 times a year?! :scared-1:

so if I remain in sg, I foresee leading a boring life:
sleep, eat, watch drama, tcss in forum, sleep, eat, watch drama, find ppl to quarrel in forum:p, eat, exercise, practise piano, eat, watch drama, sleep.

see, sibeh boring lifetstyle rite? :mad:

mermaid
10-10-13, 18:10
But remember, u have a choice.....

If u feel sick about something. U either do something about it or learn to love it...

Give u example :
U always walk 1 km to mrt to go work... U sick of it...
U either work towards getting a car or living with it...

To get a car - find rich girlfriend, save money. Etc...

Cannot get car, tell yourself, mrt save money leh, walking is healthy leh....

If not will always be sad leh..... Must find solution lor...

And hypo assume in Canada... The other side will be the one to pass remarks tp u.... Ad u have to LL and suck it up....:banghead:

actually I tot of staying permanently in sg cos it is safe & roaming the world den not so sianz, but not very safe for a female to travel alone :(
if find ppl, who is so free & rich to go tour wif me so frequently?
haiz ...

chestnut
10-10-13, 18:17
actually I tot of staying permanently in sg cos it is safe & roaming the world den not so sianz, but not very safe for a female to travel alone :(
if find ppl, who is so free & rich to go tour wif me so frequently?
haiz ...

Take tour lor.... ;)

Join some tour club - if there is one.....

My colleague join jacky cheung fan club and always travel around when jacky do concert in different countries... She travel with friends from the club...

Arcachon
10-10-13, 18:24
Get a job and work oversea and go back Singapore for Holidays. Best....

Now getting colder and the night is getting longer, going to miss the Summer Heat, got a ticket back to Singapore for one month holiday eat as much as I can and go back France to herbinate

azeoprop
10-10-13, 21:06
Winter go up to Norway to see the northern lights.... :cool:

Simi
10-10-13, 21:23
:ashamed1:
I agree...Singapore is good to work and earn money for now while the currency is strong and economy good but touchwood, anything can happen...who can tell the future, we need a strong and good government to lead us forward...Just want to retire with dignity and be financially free as soon as possible so that I can pursue my real dreams after providing for my family...

retire in Northern Thailand or somewhere in Myanmar

hire 5 maids to look after you

day time pah pah Zhou ( hokkien for anyhow run around)
evening come back relax with 4 maids to massage your limbs and the other to massage your head and shoulder :ashamed1:

better than Osim chair

cavaliver
10-10-13, 22:00
[QUOTE=Arcachon;436949]Get a job and work oversea and go back Singapore for Holidays. Best....

Now getting colder and the night is getting longer, going to miss the Summer Heat, got a ticket back

cavaliver
10-10-13, 22:03
Singapore is safe & convenient.
But you need to plan early to retire comfortably.

radha08
10-10-13, 23:14
Mahatma Gandhi said the greatest country in the world looks like this...:D:D:D

http://blog.bufferapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/brain-power.jpg

tradert
10-10-13, 23:15
Don't think I will retire anywhere other than SG, but will consider taking short-term stays elsewhere: possibly Chiang Mai (easy to get visas for above 50 years), maybe Malacca (need mm2h to stay longer than a month).

Shanhz
11-10-13, 08:54
Hi bro chestnut, I agree with you.
My fren migrated to Canada and for the first 2 years, life was a bed of roses.
They traveled around and enjoyed the fresh air, beautiful scenery and the mountains.
After that , reality set in.
Money ran out and he had to find a proper job.
That's when the problems started.
Wife had a nervous breakdown.
He went to another state to work, leaving her with 3 kids to manage on her own.
When you are there alone, it is dreadful during the winter months.
So now, the whole family has moved over to the other state to be with him, and of course his kids had to undergo the stress of starting life in another school all over again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Moral of the story : If you are not birds, do not think of migration so readily :D.

sounds like a story of poor planning. nothing to do with green grass or watever leh. who in the right mind with 3 kids would migrate to another country without a job, and somemore, travel for 2 yrs spending money and not earning money. think you fren go anywhere also will not see green pastures.

PN
11-10-13, 09:25
Why must retire in one country only?

You can retire in two countries. Just make sure you already invested property in Sg and the other one. Spend some time in each country every year. If you don't like winter in the other country, fly back to sg to enjoy the hot sun.

And if you believe that you can travel when you tire, It depends on your health. I'd say that for the first 10-15yrs you may be still healthy and active, you can still travel but after that you will get weaker and prefer to stay put and less traveling. This is the period where you'll spend more time in one country and spend more time with families.

I'd suggest you travel more when you're still young. Also serve as a benchmark to see and compare the cost and lifestyle in diff countries. You may find one which you like or even come to conclusion that sg is the best.

Just my thoughts. Everyone is different so no one size fit all.

Lovelle
11-10-13, 09:55
i have kid so I pefer to retire in JB, so i can see them

Wynyard
11-10-13, 23:56
Im single so dun nid to hv too much money.
juz enuff to enjoy life till I die.
I suppose when I hit 1 mil total assets will be enuff, seriously.
so I nid to retire b4 45 yrs old else wait I accum too much wealth I cannot finish spending will be very :banghead:

hmmm ... I always tink wat I shd do after I retire?

Hi mermaid, your 1M total assets including the house you are staying currently?

I am single and reaching 45yo soon, but not planning to retire so soon leh, though I already have planned how to kill my time when I retired.

I have tons of books, hope I can finish reading them b4 I die :rolleyes:

kellogs
12-10-13, 00:13
This is a very interesting topic ...

What if currently you have SGD 3mio cash and 1 fully paid condo SGD 2++mio ... and you are 35 years old ...

What is your next step?

Buy more property? prepare to migrate?

proud owner
12-10-13, 01:42

What if currently you have SGD 3mio cash and 1 fully paid condo SGD 2++mio ... and you are 35 years old ...

What is your next step?

5 mio ....hhmmmm migrate where to ?

I wud consider some part of Thailand...where the weather is better ( cooler) .. set up a small business ... where running cost is low ..

that way ..I can still have some income...

Simi
12-10-13, 01:54
5 mio ....hhmmmm migrate where to ?

I wud consider some part of Thailand...where the weather is better ( cooler) .. set up a small business ... where running cost is low ..

that way ..I can still have some income...

Changmai is getting expensive

but can travel between 3 countries, Thailand (ChangRai)

China (Xishuangbana, Ruili) and Myanmar (Mandalay)

Simi
12-10-13, 02:53
6 cheap places to retire abroad

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/retirement/6-cheap-places-retire-abroad.aspx?ec_id=m1175264#slide=7

proud owner
12-10-13, 18:17

yes I hated it when they called me Alien...

I am 'luckier'....at JFK or Newart .. I take the line that's almost empty ...

blackjack21trader
12-10-13, 19:22
yes I hated it when they called me Alien...

I am 'luckier'....at JFK or Newart .. I take the line that's almost empty ...

You must be VIP la.

princess_morbucks
12-10-13, 19:34
You must be VIP la.

You mean a real VIP.....not the forummer called vip?

blackjack21trader
12-10-13, 21:27
You mean a real VIP.....not the forummer called vip?

i mean most likely he has a green card or more la.

Dragonfly
12-10-13, 21:40
I still prefer SG/ MY. These 2 countries are next to each other. When we are old, we also need family support & health care need. Going to far places to retire is provided one is still healthy and can walk around. Most ppl reach 60 already pain here & there. Heart & legs get weaker.

cavaliver
12-10-13, 22:06
actually just need a driving licence to travel to different states in the us once u got a green card

mermaid
14-10-13, 10:26
Hi mermaid, your 1M total assets including the house you are staying currently?

I am single and reaching 45yo soon, but not planning to retire so soon leh, though I already have planned how to kill my time when I retired.

I have tons of books, hope I can finish reading them b4 I die :rolleyes:

my definition of 1 mil total assets will include my house be it if Im staying/renting.
y u hv no plans to retire since u r no longer young, hahaha :D
u hvnt hit yr target?
wat's yr target? :o

so sad to see so many singles around vexing over not becos of no money cannot retire, but rather how to kill time after retiring, haha :scared-4:

indomie
14-10-13, 10:33
my definition of 1 mil total assets will include my house be it if Im staying/renting.
u hvnt hit yr target?

so sad to see so many singles around vexing over not becos of no money cannot retire, but rather how to kill time after retiring, haha :scared-4:
Why stay single?

mermaid
14-10-13, 10:36

What is your next step?

wah ... too much $ liao, I dun tink I can finish spending.

actually I ever tot say when one is eg 55/60yrs old & still hv 1 mil worth of assets left cannot finish spending, can perhaps sell away the ppty, go n stay in luxurious hotel everyday. den play those 5cts jackpot at casino to kill time & stimulate yr brains to delay senile :D

mermaid
14-10-13, 10:38
Why stay single?

cos cannot find someone whom u really feel like spending the rest of yr life with? :scared-4:

indomie
14-10-13, 11:02
cos cannot find someone whom u really feel like spending the rest of yr life with? :scared-4:
Nobody is perfect u know

indomie
14-10-13, 11:11
Who are still single here? Maybe you love birds could connect.

mermaid
14-10-13, 11:11
Nobody is perfect u know

I noe.

even a perfect person may not necc meet wat u wan.

but not all ppl r willing to "chin cai la, 老来有个伴就可以了. esp for independent ppl like me :o

Who are still single here? Maybe you love birds could connect.

muahahaha!
liddat u shd create a thread on singles :D

Wynyard
14-10-13, 12:53
u hvnt hit yr target?

Actually, I have no target, just earn and save as much as I can.

My parents are still working part time, so I cannot retire before them :tsk-tsk:

I dont like to travel, so my expenses very low only, probably dont even need 1 mil.

mermaid
14-10-13, 13:11
Actually, I have no target, just earn and save as much as I can.

My parents are still working part time, so I cannot retire before them :tsk-tsk:

I dont like to travel, so my expenses very low only, probably dont even need 1 mil.

lol ... u r very low maintenance wor! if u r a female u will be highly sought after :ashamed1:

btw, so u bought ppty alrdy? if yes, shd be not hard to hit the million dollar total assets target wor.

indomie
14-10-13, 14:21
lol ... u r very low maintenance wor! if u r a female u will be highly sought after :ashamed1:

btw, so u bought ppty alrdy? if yes, shd be not hard to hit the million dollar total assets target wor.
Are u implying that most sg women are high maintenance? I though sg women are mostly self sufficient?

mermaid
14-10-13, 14:26
Are u implying that most sg women are high maintenance? I though sg women are mostly self sufficient?

I would not dare to conclude tat most women r highly maintenance without any concrete evidence.
tink it would be more appropriate to say tat more & more sg women r becoming more pricey to maintain :p

I see no correlation between highly maintenance & self sufficient, cos:

1. there will be women who earns a lot (a lot more than wat they need) but still hope to leech on men/find a golden turtle;

2. there will be women who live a frugal life, barely having extras for luxuries yet do not wan to depend on men :2cents:

indomie
14-10-13, 14:49
I would not dare to conclude tat most women r highly maintenance without any concrete evidence.
tink it would be more appropriate to say tat more & more sg women r becoming more pricey to maintain :p

I see no correlation between highly maintenance & self sufficient, cos:

1. there will be women who earns a lot (a lot more than wat they need) but still hope to leech on men/find a golden turtle;

2. there will be women who live a frugal life, barely having extras for luxuries yet do not wan to depend on men :2cents:
The 2 extremes are not good. Just be somewhere in the middle.

Simi
14-10-13, 15:09
House for retirement away from Singapore

Nice cool weather

17 to 28C throughout the year

Simi
14-10-13, 15:29
Neighboring projects further down the hill

Wynyard
14-10-13, 22:25

I am female, but why only low maintenance females highly sought after leh? Guys not meh?

Yes, I have 1 hdb and 1 MM. I am saving to buy another MM or a 2BR, then maybe can work part time and focus more onto my study.

mermaid
15-10-13, 10:03
I am female, but why only low maintenance females highly sought after leh? Guys not meh?

Yes, I have 1 hdb and 1 MM. I am saving to buy another MM or a 2BR, then maybe can work part time and focus more onto my study.

tis wat the avg/poor guys told me. they attributed the inability to get gf on "ladies became very expensive to maintain n thus looking for rich husbands".
I hv oni 1 MM & still looking for another.

1 Hdb n 1 MM can retire liao leh, y still slog for another MM?

august
15-10-13, 11:44
House for retirement away from Singapore

Nice cool weather

17 to 28C throughout the year

any earthquake risk?

CondoInterested
15-10-13, 16:56
Before writing, must declare that I am a Singaporean born and brought up here.

Maybe what Taiwanese Li Ao has said do make some sense that "新加坡人人种不好,很差".

First, besides the natives here, where do our ancestors (usually our Grandparents) come from, well all overseas. Second, why do they come here, well most cannot survive in their then motherland, rather to die of hunger in the motherland, moving out of the motherland to other places may have a chance to continue to live. Do they take this piece of land their home, no as most wanted to go home after making enough. During those chaotic time, people (second tier citizens?) who do not do well moves overseas, those who do well stays on back home of course. In the old days who will want to leave home if doing well.

But the next generation (usually our parents) of the above went through some form of Singapore 'Education' which train out many robots which are uniformly productive, this is the time which efficient citizen of Singapore drives the growing economy.

The next generation (usually us), no comments, leave it to the future generations to comment on us.

Fast forward to today, same applies but maybe in peace time, there are 2 types of people who move overseas, 1 type are those who did very well in their own country and they just want to move on and they are mobile, the other type are those who did not do very well in their own country, will try to look for better pasture. Based on what some foreign friends here say, Singapore has never been their first choice to come over, their first choice are usually US, Europe countries if they can, those who are here even themselves claim they are not the top tier citizens in their own country. The top tier are retained mainly by their government, the next tier goes to US / Europe countries, the next will go to other countries, including Singapore.

Worst, these people are not uniformly trained by the Singapore brand "education", so there are so many mixed standards when it comes to working life and real time operations.

My guess it will take 1 or 2 generations for the Singapore engine to be well oil again, like our parents.

Just my thought, yours may differ but don't flame me.

Arcachon
15-10-13, 18:00
Before writing, must declare that I am a Singaporean born and brought up here.

Maybe what Taiwanese Li Ao has said do make some sense that "新加坡人人种不好,很差".

First, besides the natives here, where do our ancestors (usually our Grandparents) come from, well all overseas. Second, why do they come here, well most cannot survive in their then motherland, rather to die of hunger in the motherland, moving out of the motherland to other places may have a chance to continue to live. Do they take this piece of land their home, no as most wanted to go home after making enough. During those chaotic time, people (second tier citizens?) who do not do well moves overseas, those who do well stays on back home of course. In the old days who will want to leave home if doing well.

But the next generation (usually our parents) of the above went through some form of Singapore 'Education' which train out many robots which are uniformly productive, this is the time which efficient citizen of Singapore drives the growing economy.

The next generation (usually us), no comments, leave it to the future generations to comment on us.

Fast forward to today, same applies but maybe in peace time, there are 2 types of people who move overseas, 1 type are those who did very well in their own country and they just want to move on and they are mobile, the other type are those who did not do very well in their own country, will try to look for better pasture. Based on what some foreign friends here say, Singapore has never been their first choice to come over, their first choice are usually US, Europe countries if they can, those who are here even themselves claim they are not the top tier citizens in their own country. The top tier are retained mainly by their government, the next tier goes to US / Europe countries, the next will go to other countries, including Singapore.

Worst, these people are not uniformly trained by the Singapore brand "education", so there are so many mixed standards when it comes to working life and real time operations.

My guess it will take 1 or 2 generations for the Singapore engine to be well oil again, like our parents.

Just my thought, yours may differ but don't flame me.

http://redbus2us.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/h1b-visa-requirement-F1-visa.jpg

Shanhz
16-10-13, 09:39
i quite agree with what condointerested has said. our genes are not the best to start with (the best probably still in beijing). we have been trained to be robot is also correct. it was relevant and useful for the manufacturing phase that LKY drove in those days.

today, it is not longer relevant. today is about creativity, ideas, innovation, etc, which our generation is ill-equiped with due to our robotic training. MOE is trying to change that, but to ask robots (current teachers) to produce creative children.. is asking abit too much right?

that's why garmen also need to inject new blood. problem is, with the new blood come good blood but also many bad blood (including the inlaws, grandparents, etc who become leeches on our infrastructure - not productive yet encroaching).

this thing need time to reverse.

fyi i am also 100% born and bred here. so are my parents.

Simi
16-10-13, 12:22
any earthquake risk?

Yes, earthquake risk

nothing serious past few earthquake

just shake shake :D

sgbuyer
16-10-13, 12:43
Yes, earthquake risk

nothing serious past few earthquake

just shake shake :D

No need go so far, Cameron highlands also can enjoy good weather.

Simi
16-10-13, 13:48
No need go so far, Cameron highlands also can enjoy good weather.

Sifu

Driving there is a hassle la

That place only 45minutes from airport :D