PDA

View Full Version : Collection of key

Lav123
14-09-13, 11:06
I'll be collecting my key next week. As this is the 1st time I'm buying a pte apartment for either owe stay or rental, I wonder what should I do after collecting the key. Hope that the forummers can help to enlighten me:-

1) Go direct to my apartment to have a look?
2) Should I bring along anything with me on the same day to do some cleansing or do it some other day?
3) If need to bring, what should I bring and what should I do?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

hopeful
14-09-13, 12:14
I'll be collecting my key next week. As this is the 1st time I'm buying a pte apartment for either owe stay or rental, I wonder what should I do after collecting the key. Hope that the forummers can help to enlighten me:-

2) Should I bring along anything with me on the same day to do some cleansing or do it some other day?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

developer give free water and electricity for 3 days only, starting from day of key collection.

on all aircon for 72 hrs to check for leakage.
leave all water taps running for 72 hrs to check for leakage and blockage.

Lav123
14-09-13, 12:54
developer give free water and electricity for 3 days only, starting from day of key collection.

Thank you so much. How long it takes to apply for electricity and gas?
Do you mind to share, do you do any cleansing for your new home?

Wynyard
14-09-13, 12:57
What a waste to our precious water, sorry but any more env-friendly way to carry out such checking?

evolutionx
14-09-13, 13:12

so basically, because developer gives you 72 hours of something free, you wanna waste our country's resources? are you serious?

first time i am hearing developer giving 3 days free utilities- normally they cut off before handover. i strongly suggest TS, before you go nuts and leave everything on for 72 hours, that you can check that the utilities have not been cut off. sometimes the developer will cut off, but SP services may not have access to the pipes to put the seal/sticker to prevent usage.

if the apartment is brand new from developer - dont worry .. you have 1 year warranty to identify defects.

if you bought a subsale, any defects are your problem now. most likely your option has a clause "as is where is" which means you bought it and inspected it before taking option. trust me - you cant claim on this if its a subsale.

just hire a cleaning crew (spend about $150-200 for a small apartment) and have them professionally clean it. you'll wind up spending $50-100 on cleaning products anyway, so might as well let someone else break their back so you can enjoy your house.

chestnut
14-09-13, 13:16

Bro, ac leak cannot check like that lar.... Water leak also cannot check like that lar... It is over time bro....

Not all development are 72 hrs... Some are just for the day when u collect keys....

chestnut
14-09-13, 13:20
Bro, leave the cleaning part to the last part after envo....

so basically, because developer gives you 72 hours of something free, you wanna waste our country's resources? are you serious?

first time i am hearing developer giving 3 days free utilities- normally they cut off before handover. i strongly suggest TS, before you go nuts and leave everything on for 72 hours, that you can check that the utilities have not been cut off. sometimes the developer will cut off, but SP services may not have access to the pipes to put the seal/sticker to prevent usage.

if the apartment is brand new from developer - dont worry .. you have 1 year warranty to identify defects.

if you bought a subsale, any defects are your problem now. most likely your option has a clause "as is where is" which means you bought it and inspected it before taking option. trust me - you cant claim on this if its a subsale.

just hire a cleaning crew (spend about $150-200 for a small apartment) and have them professionally clean it. you'll wind up spending $50-100 on cleaning products anyway, so might as well let someone else break their back so you can enjoy your house.

3C
14-09-13, 13:36
Why worry got one year warranty for defects.
Don't waste resources just because you are not paying. On water for 72 hours, you must be crazy. I will knock his coconut head whoever do that. One crazy guy is going to knock by me end of this year if his prediction not true & Sabo me.

hopeful
14-09-13, 13:38
hello, this is a stress test. do you want to be like the poor fellows who kena ripped by developers (like CDL & Ho bee) for poor quality and workmanship?
if passed stress test, then you will really be assured that your stuff can last and not break down after 1 year warranty.
if you want to be a nice guy, be my guest, but dont complain if things breakdown right after warranty period.
And do you think developer will entertain you after warranty period over?

first time i am hearing developer giving 3 days free utilities- normally they cut off before handover........

different developers give different grace periods. the higher end condos will usually give longer period of free utilities.

this i agree with you, TS, better get really cleaning crew, dont waste time and your money

hopeful
14-09-13, 13:43
What a waste to our precious water, sorry but any more env-friendly way to carry out such checking?

sure, can do pressure testing. but you need to block off the inlet and outlet.
and then apply pressure up to rated pressure of the pipes.
lets say the pressure rating of the water pipe is 3 bar. apply pressure up to 3 bar. leave it for 1 hour. see if there is pressure drop indicated in the pressure gauge.

also that only check the pipes, it doesnt check the waterproofing for the toilet tiles and other wet areas.

hopeful
14-09-13, 13:57
Why worry got one year warranty for defects.
Don't waste resources just because you are not paying. On water for 72 hours, you must be crazy. I will knock his coconut head whoever do that. One crazy guy is going to knock by me end of this year if his prediction not true & Sabo me.

you continue to amaze me.
your thinking and Saw Phaik Hwa's thinking sama-sama. why worry about defects. cable tie enough for me. why waste my precious money.

some things just needed to be spent money on. dont try to save on necessary expenses.

it must be the fluoride in the water that lowers our citizen's IQ.
no wonder each successive generation seems dumber and dumber.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/

thomastansb
14-09-13, 13:58
Depends. When I collected my keys for Clift, it was 3 weeks on their account. Only after all the defects rectification, I transfer to my name. And I will on the aircon for many hours to test for leakage. Nothing wrong with that. And I am glad I did. Clift is using LG aircon so there are a lot of problems. Gas leakage (after I on 1 day, no longer cold) and water leakage. LG has to change the whole water pipe.

thomastansb
14-09-13, 14:01
Not all condos give you free electricity and water. Some are handed over without utilities. You have to apply for yourself. It really depends on developer.

You call SP Services. Usually 3-4 working days. Depends on their queue.

Thank you so much. How long it takes to apply for electricity and gas?
Do you mind to share, do you do any cleansing for your new home?

3C
14-09-13, 14:02
the pipes are tested & approved before they are allowed to be used. They are designed to be more than catered for based on domestic use. You cannot test anything by on the tap 72 hours.
You just need to on the tap full for 5 to 10 minutes to see whether the sink got any leakage. Any tap faulty or leakage can be observed when the tap is off not on by virtue of the pressure from the domestic water tank coming down from the rooftop or pumping water from below from Pub supply.

hopeful
14-09-13, 14:06
To Lav123 and others,

i forget to add the part about water leaking.

Do you know if your below neighbour complain about leaking from above, meaning leaking from your house.

You are the one who has to pay for the repair. And not only that monetary losses, the repairmen will enter your house, do hacking, make a mess, leave a mess and you have to take time off from work etc.

So you think whether worth it or not to check for leakage by performing stress test.

hopeful
14-09-13, 14:18
the pipes are tested & approved before they are allowed to be used. They are designed to be more than catered for based on domestic use. You cannot test anything by on the tap 72 hours.
You just need to on the tap full for 5 to 10 minutes to see whether the sink got any leakage. Any tap faulty or leakage can be observed when the tap is off not on by virtue of the pressure from the domestic water tank coming down from the rooftop or pumping water from below from Pub supply.

to answer your points.

the pipes are ok. It is the joints that are usually not OK. did the plumber apply the correct amount of PVC glue? if not correct amount, leakage occurs at the joints.
If only on for 5-10 minutes, of course won't leak when brand new.
when used for long time, then the PVC glue degrades and then the leakage and headache starts.

better if on the tap for a long time, the water rushing through the pipes will stress the joints. if not enough PVC glue, then will leak.

external leak at the taps is easy to replace/repaired.
It is the internal leaks in the buried pipes that will cost a bomb and a few headaches.

3C
14-09-13, 14:30
to answer your points.

the pipes are ok. It is the joints that are usually not OK. did the plumber apply the correct amount of PVC glue? if not correct amount, leakage occurs at the joints.
If only on for 5-10 minutes, of course won't leak when brand new.
when used for long time, then the PVC glue degrades and then the leakage and headache starts.

better if on the tap for a long time, the water rushing through the pipes will stress the joints. if not enough PVC glue, then will leak.

external leak at the taps is easy to replace/repaired.
It is the internal leaks in the buried pipes that will cost a bomb and a few headaches.

Unlikely to test the joints if you on all the taps as the pressure will drop greatly with all the taps on. Anyway, after 72hrs, you mean you go downstair your neighbour open up the false ceiling to check leakage in the toilets? or your own waterpipes hidden in the false ceiling?

hopeful
14-09-13, 14:50
Unlikely to test the joints if you on all the taps as the pressure will drop greatly with all the taps on. Anyway, after 72hrs, you mean you go downstair your neighbour open up the false ceiling to check leakage in the toilets? or your own waterpipes hidden in the false ceiling?

the running water will stress the joints. water has mass, and running water has velocity, which equates to kinetic energy hitting on the joints.

well, neighbour will complain if leak right?
dont tell me neighbour wait after 1 year before complaining. where to find this kind of neighbour?

and the earlier the leak is discovered, the better it is. meaning still under developer warranty.
even better if leak is discovered before tenant has already shifted in, before your family has shifted in.
what kind of people would inconvenience their family just because they dont want to perform stress test.

it is okay if a person has multiple residential properties to stay in. But if you have only 1 house to stay, then no choice you and your family have to bear the noise of hacking, the dirty footprints of the repairmen, the dust flying in the air. just to replace a leaky pipe/water proofing.
i would not subject my family to these kind of inconveniences. i am not sure about the others and Lav123 though.

Lav123
14-09-13, 14:58
Thanks everybody, really appreciate all the contributions.

Any recommendation of any agency that can help with the cleaning.

BTW, any ideas how should I cleanse the house before I shift in inorder to have peace and luck (eg knock the four corners, buy pineapple or banana, on the cooker for fire etc.), I have no idea when should I start to do this, on the same day as I collect my key or any other days before I shift in? Mind to share your experience about the steps that I should follow?

hopeful
14-09-13, 15:00
Thanks everybody, really appreciate all the contributions.

Any recommendation of any agency that can help with the cleaning.

BTW, any ideas how should I cleanse the house before I shift in inorder to have peace and luck (eg knock the four corners, buy pineapple or banana, on the cooker for fire etc.), I have no idea when should I start to do this, on the same day as I collect my key or any other days before I shift in? Mind to share your experience about the steps that I should follow?
whats ur belief system?

DC33_2008
14-09-13, 15:12
I guess water pipes and air-con problems are less of a hassle to detect. The main problems are floor and wall finishes. Get a stick or small marble to check them by striking over or drop over them to check for hollowness. These are wet work which is more messy.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

dtrax
14-09-13, 15:50
Perhaps we should consolidation a check list and post as sticky in the forum thread for all new owners as a reference. . Sharing is caring!!

Lav123
14-09-13, 16:53
whats ur belief system?

My religion is Taoist..

august
14-09-13, 20:23
Depends. When I collected my keys for Clift, it was 3 weeks on their account. Only after all the defects rectification, I transfer to my name. And I will on the aircon for many hours to test for leakage. Nothing wrong with that. And I am glad I did. Clift is using LG aircon so there are a lot of problems. Gas leakage (after I on 1 day, no longer cold) and water leakage. LG has to change the whole water pipe.

Reputable developers give 2 to 3 weeks or more iirc. 72 hrs seems cheapskate.

darkseed73
17-09-13, 16:12
My religion is Taoist..

Roll pineapple in to the home and shout "HUAT AH!"

proud owner
18-09-13, 00:24
Roll pineapple in to the home and shout "HUAT AH!"

hahahaha

I am a free thinker ... but I remember my first condo ...

I placed a burner with burning charcoal in the living room, and threw a packet of rice and salt, and a packet of sweets and a Pair of socks ....

as for checking for defects ...

for living room and bedrooms .... I rolled a golf ball over the wooden floor..

you will be able to hear a different sound if the part below is hollow ...

for kitchen and bathroom .. I placed the same golf ball at the far corner and see if it rolls towards to drain hole .. this is to check to ensure water flows out and no ponding

as for aircon I merely leave them on from morning to end of day ...then do it again the next day ...listen out for funny noise or leakages and if its cold

as for water leakages in wash area ... it would take time to know if floor water proofing was done properly ... leaving water running for 24 hrs may not be effective

hope my experiences help

dtrax
18-09-13, 00:31
hahahaha

I am a free thinker ... but I remember my first condo ...

I placed a burner with burning charcoal in the living room, and threw a packet of rice and salt, and a packet of sweets and a Pair of socks ....

as for checking for defects ...

for living room and bedrooms .... I rolled a golf ball over the wooden floor..

you will be able to hear a different sound if the part below is hollow ...

for kitchen and bathroom .. I placed the same golf ball at the far corner and see if it rolls towards to drain hole .. this is to check to ensure water flows out and no ponding

as for aircon I merely leave them on from morning to end of day ...then do it again the next day ...listen out for funny noise or leakages and if its cold

as for water leakages in wash area ... it would take time to know if floor water proofing was done properly ... leaving water running for 24 hrs may not be effective

hope my experiences help

nice. thanks.. hope more will contribute then if got time, i consolidate as a excel checklist.. starting from rolling pineapple on the floor as top 10 to do

Ringo33
18-09-13, 01:39

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

Collecting keys is not considering moving in, so you dont need any cleansing when visiting the apartment. Cleansing is usually done after renovation where every thing is installed. You will need to choose an auspicious date for it and you can get reference from this site.

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/GoodEvents.htm

I was taught that during the cleansing day, i should turn on all the lights, aircon, stove, oven, water tap etc and let it run for say 5 to 10 mins. But I would recommend that you try to prep oven before that as sometime new oven has got the tenancy of tripping the circuit breaker. The solution around it is to turn on the circulation fan first and then slowly bring up the temperature. Perhaps thats to make sure everything is working.

Northeast91
18-09-13, 15:47
Hi All,

I try to summarize it and add on some of my comments as well.. Please add on to the list if you have anymore ideas..

Key collection (To do list):
1) on aircon - to check on funny noise and leakage
2) on water tap - to check on gas leakage and water leakage
3) roll golf ball over wooden floor - to check for different sound if the part below is hollow
4) Kitchen & toilet - roll golf ball at far end to check if it rolls back towards the drain hole
5) switch on all lights
6) on stove and oven - try to prep oven before that as sometime new oven has got the tenancy of tripping the circuit breaker. The solution around it is to turn on the circulation fan first and then slowly bring up the temperature.
7) check on all the flooring (crack? Or different color tone?)
8) check on the anti-slam hinges for all cupboards
9)

Ringo33
18-09-13, 17:34
check your toilet WC to make sure the flushing system are working, no leaking from below and no over flowing during refill.

check for any potential water leak from wall. can tell if parquet floor become dark and warp or fungus stain on the wall.

panamera
18-09-13, 21:56
Dont forget to check if you have a cute neighbour or not.

sillyme
18-09-13, 22:17
nice. thanks.. hope more will contribute then if got time, i consolidate as a excel checklist.. starting from rolling pineapple on the floor as top 10 to do

just hope that the golf ball didn't start rolling back towards you :p (just watched a scary movie few weeks back). just kidding after a long day. my apologies.

proud owner
19-09-13, 00:05
[quote=Northeast91;431089]Hi All,

I try to summarize it and add on some of my comments as well.. Please add on to the list if you have anymore ideas..

Key collection (To do list):
1) on aircon - to check on funny noise and leakage
2) on water tap - to check on gas leakage and water leakage
3) roll golf ball over wooden floor - to check for different sound if the part below is hollow
4) Kitchen & toilet - roll golf ball at far end to check if it rolls back towards the drain hole
5) switch on all lights ( key collection ? got switches only, where got lights ?)
6) on stove and oven - try to prep oven before that as sometime new oven has got the tenancy (you mean tendency. Also no power supply cannot test) of tripping the circuit breaker. The solution around it is to turn on the circulation fan first and then slowly bring up the temperature.
7) check on all the flooring (crack? Or different color tone?)
8) check on the anti-slam hinges for all cupboards
9) open and close all doors, sometimes they don't close nicely and need to be pushed before you hear a click
10) Sliding windows/doors...lock it and pry open .. sometimes the catch is lousy ..can be opened even its supposed to be locked
11)

eng81157
19-09-13, 10:11
you guys missed the most important thing to do!!!!

BUY 4D!!!!! :D:D

Ringo33
19-09-13, 11:39
you guys missed the most important thing to do!!!!

BUY 4D!!!!! :D:D

Dumdest thing to do.

eng81157
19-09-13, 13:59
sure, it's as dumb as believing that $1700psf @ JLD is more worthwhile than $1700psf @ river valley.

plus, why don't you poll how many do NOT buy 4D of their unit number?

Ringo33
19-09-13, 14:08
sure, it's as dumb as believing that $1700psf @ JLD is more worthwhile than $1700psf @ river valley.

you should have a poll as to how many profit from 4D.

eng81157
19-09-13, 15:11
you should have a poll as to how many profit from 4D.

is there any correlation between shifting to a place and striking 4D? duh!!! unable to keep a coherent line of thinking, pfft

Ringo33
19-09-13, 15:17
is there any correlation between shifting to a place and striking 4D? duh!!! unable to keep a coherent line of thinking, pfft

I am just saying buying 4D is a dumb thing to do, just like buying TOTO, or going to Casino. Nothing to do with collecting keys.

eng81157
19-09-13, 15:30
I am just saying buying 4D is a dumb thing to do, just like buying TOTO, or going to Casino. Nothing to do with collecting keys.

thanks, rest my case.

astroboy8681
19-09-13, 16:05
for someone who's only friend is a keyboard... everyone can totally understand... he or the equivalent of "it" should do a poll of who doesn't buy 4D on their unit number when collecting keys to new home and the ans would be clear...

can't comprehend a lifestyle of just a war screen, keyboard tool & 4 walls... at least he's loosening up and less constipated...

woohoo time to go buy some paper lanterns yeah

Ringo33
19-09-13, 16:38
for someone who's only friend is a keyboard... everyone can totally understand... he or the equivalent of "it" should do a poll of who doesn't buy 4D on their unit number when collecting keys to new home and the ans would be clear...

can't comprehend a lifestyle of just a war screen, keyboard tool & 4 walls... at least he's loosening up and less constipated...

My word of advise to you is dont waste your career being an entertainer for your company. Its a pathetic and unhealthy job that will bring you no where in your career. In the corporate world, there is no such thing as KPI for company entertaining office, unless you work in KTV and no company will hire a clown to be their CEO.

Regulators
19-09-13, 17:25
He could be camping by the jgateway construction site with his laptop charting the construction progress.

mermaid
19-09-13, 17:38

I tink Im the rare few dumbs who dun buy 4D on my unit number. In fact, I dun even noe how to buy 4D/Toto!!! :eek:
I muz be a real dumb :(

but hor, I rather be dumb in small money den to be so smart & dump big $ in Jgateway.

Ringo33
19-09-13, 17:43
enough of j gateway and 4D nonsense. please get back to talking about collecting key.

mermaid
19-09-13, 17:47
He could be camping by the jgateway construction site with his laptop charting the construction progress.

of cos nid to jia gar. paid so much $ afterall. if dun rectify the problem during construction stage, no matter how many golf balls u roll upon collection of keys is oso no use, hahaha ....

Regulators
19-09-13, 17:53
He may volunteer to work as MCL site foreman for free n double up as night jagah :D

of cos nid to jia gar. paid so much $ afterall. if dun rectify the problem during construction stage, no matter how many golf balls u roll upon collection of keys is oso no use, hahaha ....

Regulators
19-09-13, 17:57
U collecting ur keys four years later why so gan cheong? In the meantime you can buy kopi for your beloved construction buddies n make sure they construct your little box swee swee. Ask them whether they can widen ur doorway some more so easier for ur wife to cook :D
enough of j gateway and 4D nonsense. please get back to talking about collecting key.

mermaid
19-09-13, 17:58
He may volunteer to work as MCL site foreman for free n double up as night jagah :D

better dun, as much as we r not vested in Jgateway, we oso do not wan it to become another JEM in the future.

We still wan Jgateway to huat upon TOP, cos the more Jgateway huat, the more our investments will huathuat :cheers5:

mermaid
19-09-13, 18:01
In the meantime you can buy kopi for your beloved construction buddies n make sure they construct your little box swee swee. Ask them whether they can widen ur doorway some more so easier for u to cook :D

dun despise shoebox, nothing wrong in buying a small area as long as one did not overpaid. Else, it will be worse to overpay for a big unit.

Regulators
19-09-13, 18:05
Ok lah I shall call it cozy box :D

dun despise shoebox, nothing wrong in buying a small area as long as one did not overpaid. Else, it will be worse to overpay for a big unit.

astroboy8681
19-09-13, 18:22
My word of advise to you is dont waste your career being an entertainer for your company. Its a pathetic and unhealthy job that will bring you no where in your career. In the corporate world, there is no such thing as KPI for company entertaining office, unless you work in KTV and no company will hire a clown to be their CEO.

omg! you actually replied hence acknowledging the "it" in you... so you are the mouse eroding into interlace to get a sniff for you know you'll never be able to buy in this lifetime...

i have another profound advice for you before heading out for sumptuous dinner spread :

every penny saved is a penny earned, not the other way round... as within, so without... hope you understand (even if it's just gibberish to you)

Lav123
22-09-13, 11:07
Hello everybody, thanks for all the contributions in regards to the collection of keys. It is really very helpful, thanks a lot. Didn't know that there are so much things have to take note of. Checking of all various parts of the house + cleansing for peace and luck. One more thing, do I need to choose an auspicious date to collect the key?

Lav123
22-09-13, 11:26
Collecting keys is not considering moving in, so you dont need any cleansing when visiting the apartment. Cleansing is usually done after renovation where every thing is installed. You will need to choose an auspicious date for it and you can get reference from this site.

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/GoodEvents.htm

So is it that after collecting the key, my spouse and I will go to the apartment and open the door to check for defects only. Can I summarize in the following ways:-

1) Arrange an appointment to collect the key.
2) After collecting the keys, go to my apartment to open the door. Do I need to shout "HUAT AH":ashamed1:
3) Check for defects
4) Renovation (if necessary)
5) Get part time maids to clean the whole house
6) Move in the furnitures
7) Get ready to move in or rent it out.

For collection of keys, renovation and shifting in, do I need to choose an auspicious date for all these 3 days?

Please help to add in if I happen to miss out anything. Thanks.

zeamybro
22-09-13, 12:22
Please set aside some time for rectification works to be done .. Depending on the developers and contractors.. and how much defects u have in your unit and how perfect you want your unit to be.. The rectification can last from days to months .... Most likely you would not want to shift in your furniture or do any thorough cleanings until most of the major rectifications are done.

hopeful
22-09-13, 17:55
Have u read about Jem's water pipe bursting? Just because pipe burst, entire mall has to close for repairs. Perform ur stress test, if not repairs after u move in is very inconvenient.

Lav123
22-09-13, 21:09
Thank you for all the valuable advise. Hope that I can try to rectify everything before I rent out (if), if not, can I ask the tenant to help me to look out?

proud owner
22-09-13, 23:26
So is it that after collecting the key, my spouse and I will go to the apartment and open the door to check for defects only. Can I summarize in the following ways:-

2) After collecting the keys, go to my apartment to open the door. Do I need to shout "HUAT AH":ashamed1:
3) Check for defects

For collection of keys, renovation and shifting in, do I need to choose an auspicious date for all these 3 days?

LOL

on key collection day ... a staff from developer office will accompany you and show you to your unit ... Please don't shout in front of her hahahah

Pick an auspicious date to move in ... but you shud get all defects fixed first.

NorthernStar
23-09-13, 07:44

3) Check for defects

2) -> usually the key collection officer will accompany to ur unit to verify water/electricity meter readings, air con remote controls, oven, hob, etc... You need to sign acceptance form after verified all those stuff.

2) -> i also do that shouting of "Huat Ar", but i will also bring an Ong Lai to row into the house before i step in..:).. just let the officer laugh lor.. many of my neighbours did that.. so, whole morning can hear many "Huat" at my block.

3) -> usually defect warranty is 1 year (u can submit anytime within the year as long as developer don't have the excuses that the defects are caused by your reno works. So, do all defects before your reno is the best practises). Defects rectification is 1 month after u submitted ur defect list.. with current labour crunch, be prepare they will use up 1 full month to rectify defects.

3) -> Yes.. as suggested by other, do many stress test.. i remember there is thread listed down all the defects check list.

Lav123
23-09-13, 08:28
2) -> usually the key collection officer will accompany to ur unit to verify water/electricity meter readings, air con remote controls, oven, hob, etc... You need to sign acceptance form after verified all those stuff.

2) -> i also do that shouting of "Huat Ar", but i will also bring an Ong Lai to row into the house before i step in..:).. just let the officer laugh lor.. many of my neighbours did that.. so, whole morning can hear many "Huat" at my block.

3) -> usually defect warranty is 1 year (u can submit anytime within the year as long as developer don't have the excuses that the defects are caused by your reno works. So, do all defects before your reno is the best practises). Defects rectification is 1 month after u submitted ur defect list.. with current labour crunch, be prepare they will use up 1 full month to rectify defects.

3) -> Yes.. as suggested by other, do many stress test.. i remember there is thread listed down all the defects check list.

Thank you so much. I have a better idea now.

Yesterday, I went to the Fengshui master to enquire on the auspicous date for key collection. It cost $50 for 2 dates, one is for key collection and the other is for shifting in (including timing for both). There will be an extra $10 charge if need to change the date later on. Should I go for it?

Shanhz
23-09-13, 08:55

Yesterday, I went to the Fengshui master to enquire on the auspicous date for key collection. It cost $50 for 2 dates, one is for key collection and the other is for shifting in (including timing for both). There will be an extra $10 charge if need to change the date later on. Should I go for it?

personal view is that collection of keys not really necessary, but no harm.

start of reno is signified by the knocking of 4 walls, not necessary the physical start of reno. this one must select good date/time.

moving in confirm must select good date/time.

dun really need to see sifu and pay for it. ask me can leow. haha. anyway, i can read the tong sheng and help you select also lah. just give me a range of date and the master of the house "animal". pm me if you need help. :)

DC33_2008
23-09-13, 09:25
After the development of the defect list, I will leave the follow-up rectification work with the exclusive agent whom that i trust as I have used their service for a while. Agent is on site most of the time as they may be marketing other units too. The person will ensure that the rectification work is done properly and also allow viewing for rental. It really helps as agent has a special interest to get things done properly and quickly. I will only go there once a while to ensure things are done properly. Never start renovation by own contractor only after the rectification work is completed. Anyway, main contractor will want owner to sign the take-over form if they want to bring in their own renovation contractor. IMO, it is too risky unless you are desperate to move in or rent out.

amk
23-09-13, 12:54
Have u read about Jem's water pipe bursting? Just because pipe burst, entire mall has to close for repairs. Perform ur stress test, if not repairs after u move in is very inconvenient.

... let's just say, some sarcastic tones aside, hopeful's remarks are very valid. at handover, the most important thing is to ascertain major items like choke/leak/crack, things that require major civil works. the method to use is, well, use your own imagination.

nowadays handover mostly by agents already. only high end projects you see developer staff talking to you.

btw observed so many 1st time condo buyers here... a sign that every one is getting the condo upgrade dream ? PAP must have done something rite (ok just kidding).

Lav123
23-09-13, 16:53

After you rolled the pineapple into your new house, do you pick the pineapple straight away or leave it there and pick up tomorrow. What do you do with the pineapple after that, bring home and eat or throw away?

If I intend to rent out, do I still need to roll the pineapple?

Lav123
23-09-13, 16:55
... let's just say, some sarcastic tones aside, hopeful's remarks are very valid. at handover, the most important thing is to ascertain major items like choke/leak/crack, things that require major civil works. the method to use is, well, use your own imagination.

nowadays handover mostly by agents already. only high end projects you see developer staff talking to you.

btw observed so many 1st time condo buyers here... a sign that every one is getting the condo upgrade dream ? PAP must have done something rite (ok just kidding).

This is a sign of advancement, cannot always stay at the same place loh:D but still have to be within our mean, don't follow blindly.

Lav123
23-09-13, 17:10
personal view is that collection of keys not really necessary, but no harm.

start of reno is signified by the knocking of 4 walls, not necessary the physical start of reno. this one must select good date/time.

moving in confirm must select good date/time.

So when collecting the key, open the door, shout "HUAT AH" (don't know whether my spouse and I dare to shut or not:ashamed1:), roll the pineapple and check for defects only. Another day then come and knock the 4 walls before my contractors start the renovation. I don't think I will do any much renovation except installing of lighting and curtains.

BTW, where does your 4 walls refer to, the living room only, how about the bedrooms and every corner of the house? Pardon me for my ignorance.

Shanhz
24-09-13, 09:15
BTW, where does your 4 walls refer to, the living room only, how about the bedrooms and every corner of the house? Pardon me for my ignorance.

hahaha, seriously dunno also. just knock all rooms lah. to be safe.

sillyme
20-10-13, 18:10
So when collecting the key, open the door, shout "HUAT AH" (don't know whether my spouse and I dare to shut or not:ashamed1:), roll the pineapple and check for defects only. Another day then come and knock the 4 walls before my contractors start the renovation. I don't think I will do any much renovation except installing of lighting and curtains.

zillion apologies but I would like to ask one probably very silly question but really hope that some brothers can enlighten me. thanks in advance. after the collection of keys, do we have to bring our own torch light if we wanted to show our family or friends the completed units at night before we have installed any lights?

hopeful
20-10-13, 18:35
zillion apologies but I would like to ask one probably very silly question but really hope that some brothers can enlighten me. thanks in advance. after the collection of keys, do we have to bring our own torch light if we wanted to show our family or friends the completed units at night before we have installed any lights?

If the condo is in the west, no need to bring torch.
Anyother place, need to bring torch

sillyme
20-10-13, 19:52
If the condo is in the west, no need to bring torch.
Anyother place, need to bring torch

very deep answer but cute too. I will take it that there will not be any lights then. thanks. reason I asked was that I worked late till 8 plus on weekdays. think will limit my "after key collection" visits to weekend then.

NorthernStar
21-10-13, 06:26
After you rolled the pineapple into your new house, do you pick the pineapple straight away or leave it there and pick up tomorrow. What do you do with the pineapple after that, bring home and eat or throw away?

If I intend to rent out, do I still need to roll the pineapple?

didn't read ur qn.. can pick up after few days..i didn't consume it..

some of my colleagues said must wait till the juice to come up from the pineapple. However, before the juice come up, ants are there. so, i suggest after 1 or 2 days, just clean the place.

not sure if the unit to be rent out... anyway,if you really into feng shui, you can ask ur feng shui master what to do first. ;)

NorthernStar
21-10-13, 06:32
very deep answer but cute too. I will take it that there will not be any lights then. thanks. reason I asked was that I worked late till 8 plus on weekdays. think will limit my "after key collection" visits to weekend then.

all new house no lights unless ur developer provided all the lightings fixed..;). Some developer even cut off the electricity after 1-2 days. No water supply given too. Anyway, you should be given such info during your key collection sessions.

some bad design unit also very dark during daytimes. Tourchlight is good for wall's flatness check at night..

sillyme
21-10-13, 07:35
all new house no lights unless ur developer provided all the lightings fixed..;). Some developer even cut off the electricity after 1-2 days. No water supply given too. Anyway, you should be given such info during your key collection sessions.

some bad design unit also very dark during daytimes. Tourchlight is good for wall's flatness check at night..

Thanks for the information and advice, NorthernStar.

august
21-10-13, 09:26
May not be true, i remember mine come with light bulbs dangling from the exposed wires. these are cheap little things that developer can easily provide.

sillyme
21-10-13, 10:33
May not be true, i remember mine come with light bulbs dangling from the exposed wires. these are cheap little things that developer can easily provide.

Thanks for the information, August. That would be nice cos if buyers were working adults, they may only be able to visit during night time (after work). :smiling-jap:

minority
21-10-13, 10:33
didn't read ur qn.. can pick up after few days..i didn't consume it..

some of my colleagues said must wait till the juice to come up from the pineapple. However, before the juice come up, ants are there. so, i suggest after 1 or 2 days, just clean the place.

not sure if the unit to be rent out... anyway,if you really into feng shui, you can ask ur feng shui master what to do first. ;)

If the pineapple juice kana ur marble floor. good luck... so make sure u put on a plate or tray that dont leak.

mermaid
21-10-13, 10:50
for homogeneous tiles, we will check if there is hollow tiles. how able marble flooring & solid timber flooring? wat do one check?

august
21-10-13, 11:17
Thanks for the information, August. That would be nice cos if buyers were working adults, they may only be able to visit during night time (after work). :smiling-jap:

Collection of keys is working hours, doubt developers will cater to collecting keys at night.

NorthernStar
21-10-13, 11:31
If the pineapple juice kana ur marble floor. good luck... so make sure u put on a plate or tray that dont leak.

we put newspaper..:D. Nowadays, not many projects use marble floor.. :(

minority
21-10-13, 11:36

if the pineapple rot n leaked. u get ur news paper etch to the floor by the acidity of the juice. Then can permanently read the papers from the floor ;)

NorthernStar
21-10-13, 11:37
for homogeneous tiles, we will check if there is hollow tiles. how able marble flooring & solid timber flooring? wat do one check?

timber flooring have the hollow defects too.. both tile and timber need to check the hollow, chip off, un-levelled, and gap between tiles (timber usually very small gap or no gap).

for timber, better check are there many small holes? sometimes, these are the symptoms of insect infection. For more stringent check, you may want to have the even colour tone between timbers.

sillyme
21-10-13, 11:55
Collection of keys is working hours, doubt developers will cater to collecting keys at night.

i meant the follow up visits after collecting the keys, checking for defects or showing to family and friends. 8)

panamera
21-10-13, 22:00

What is the logic for the pineapple roll?

NorthernStar
22-10-13, 08:04
What is the logic for the pineapple roll?

pineapple in Hokkian called Ong Lai = 旺来 (Prosperous)

Shanhz
22-10-13, 09:19
pineapple in Hokkian called Ong Lai = 旺来 (Prosperous)

so if long long time ago, someone decided to call the durian fruit the "pineapple", then we will be rolling durians. worse still, rolling bananas? can bananas roll? :doh::doh:

Yuki
15-03-14, 14:25
Here is a useful post from this local home interior blogger.

Defect checking tips (http://diva79.blogspot.sg/2009/01/hdb-defects-checking-tips.html)