PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mouse Units for Capital Gain / Rental Income or Self Stay?

Kokono
13-09-13, 17:50
For the longest time, I could not figure out why are Mickey Mouse Units such hot items when they are the costliest (in $psf terms) class of private non-land properties.

Hence I take up this below computation to see if a rational buyer of a Mickey Mouse Units had bought it for

1) Profit from Capital Gain (Short term view (1-3 yrs)
2) Rental Income & Profit from Capital Gain (Mid-term view 4 to 8 yrs)
3) Rental Income (long-term view > 8 yrs)
4) self stay reasons (long term view > 8 yrs )

Scenario: 500 sq ft at $1600 psf, at district 15 (OCR)
Direct purchase from Developer at new project launch
Price tag: $800K
Buyer: Singaporean, 2nd property, age 40.
Direct purchase from developer
Loan: $400,000 at 3.5% for 25 years.
Monthly Loan Repayment: S$ 2,002.49 (round down to $2000 for simplicity purpose), deferred scheme
Meets all other financial criteria, meets TDSR and has $400K combined from cash and CPF.
Total initial cost of the property (after 3% SD, 7% ABSD, plus other misc fees): $890K

Assuming after 12 months, market price increase by 30% to $2080 psf, sold for $1.04m in subsale:
SSD @ 12% = $124,800 (say $125K)
Agent Fees @ 2% = $20,800 ( say $21K)
Nett proceeds = $1.04m - $125K - $21K = $894k
Initial outlay = $890K
Penalty on early loan repayment = $6K (estimate)
Nett profit/(loss) = $$89 - $890 - 6k = ($2K) loss

I have already listed a highly unreasonable scenario of price increase by 30% in the next 1 year, yet the buy will still make a loss of $2K.

Hence, I failed to see any good reasons to buy a MM for any hope of making quick profit from capital gain.

Same scenario as above, except it took 4 yrs for developers to build the MM, and buyer managed to rent it out for $3500 per month. On the 8th year, market price increase by 30% to $2080 psf, and buyer sold the MM for $1.04m.

Rental income for 4 years = $3.5K x 48mths = $168K
Loan payment for 4 years = $2K x 48 mths = $96k ($60K interest, $36K capital)
SSD @ 0% = $0
Nett proceeds = $1.04m +168K - $60K - $21K = $1127k
Initial outlay = $890K
Penalty on early loan repayment = $5K (estimate)
Nett profit/(loss) = $$1127 - $890 - 5k = $232k

Annual Return on Investment = $232K divide 8 yrs then divided initial investment of $490k = 5.9% per year.

Given the very optimistic scenario again that the buyer is able to find a good tenant paying $3.5k a month for 4 continuous year after 4 years of construction, the annualised rate of return is only a 5.9%. Given current market condition where the upside potential for private non-landed is very dim, I very doubt that this scenario will material. If the best scenario is only an unimpressive 5.9% return on investment for a mid term view, I really do any compelling reason to buy a MM now. There are many other investment options available to achieve a more secure higher ROI.

Same scenario as above, except it took 4 yrs for developers to build the MM, and buyer managed to rent it out for $3500 per month, throughout the whole period.

Loan repayment is $2000 per month
Nett rental income per year = ($3500 -$2000) x 12 = $18K

ROI = $18K / $490K = 3.6%

Again, given the optimistic scenario where the buyer is able to find a tenant for the continuous period at $3.5K per month, the ROI is only an unimpressive 3.6%. In most likelihood, the ROI will be less than 3.6% because there can be many other incidental expenses to be incurred.

As stated earlier, there are other safer options available to get higher than this ROI.

There is no need to analyse on this scenario.

Allthepies
13-09-13, 18:36
MM catered for investors who want a smaller outlay of cash and hence lesser risks but doesn't mean higher rewards.

MM in real City is a different ball game....quantum easily over 1mil...

blackjack21trader
13-09-13, 20:28
MM catered for investors who want a smaller outlay of cash and hence lesser risks but doesn't mean higher rewards.

MM in real City is a different ball game....quantum easily over 1mil...

This I agree. I am diversifying into CCR MM units (e.g just bought a few Espada MMs) because of the lower quantum and hence risks. Rental or even capital gains does not matter to me at all. I am only looking at risks reduction to protect my capital due to the coming inflationary times. You see, if I buy big quantum units, the SSD or ABSD will kill me faster. With MM units, I find that I should be able to unload faster although the aggregates of the ABSD and SSD should be slightly less to my total investment of say around S$5million for 5 units of MM slightly more than One single big difficult to unload S$5million unit.

Recently, I spoke with many of my BB friends, indeed they also agree with me. But this is only true for CCR, cannot say the same for other districts like D15.

Good Luck :)

blackjack21trader
13-09-13, 20:36
And yes, I am keeping one MM unit in Espada empty so that I can monitor the MCST/developer closely. So if you want and now I have parked here, you are welcome to join me ;)

Arcachon
13-09-13, 21:19
If Bank can loan me to buy SKyGreen MM I will buy.

Stay in MM and rent out 5 room.

Less windows and smaller floor area to clean, can aircon 24/7 less electricity bill to pay.

price
13-09-13, 21:56
For the longest time, I could not figure out why are Mickey Mouse Units such hot items when they are the costliest (in $psf terms) class of private non-land properties.

Hence I take up this below computation to see if a rational buyer of a Mickey Mouse Units had bought it for

Monthly Loan Repayment: S$ 2,002.49 (round down to $2000 for simplicity purpose), deferred scheme
Meets all other financial criteria, meets TDSR and has $400K combined from cash and CPF.
Total initial cost of the property (after 3% SD, 7% ABSD, plus other misc fees): $890K

Assuming after 12 months, market price increase by 30% to $2080 psf, sold for $1.04m in subsale:
Initial outlay = $890K

I have already listed a highly unreasonable scenario of price increase by 30% in the next 1 year, yet the buy will still make a loss of $2K.

Hence, I failed to see any good reasons to buy a MM for any hope of making quick profit from capital gain.

Same scenario as above, except it took 4 yrs for developers to build the MM, and buyer managed to rent it out for $3500 per month. On the 8th year, market price increase by 30% to $2080 psf, and buyer sold the MM for $1.04m.

SSD @ 0% = $0
Initial outlay = $890K

Annual Return on Investment = $232K divide 8 yrs then divided initial investment of $490k = 5.9% per year.

Given the very optimistic scenario again that the buyer is able to find a good tenant paying $3.5k a month for 4 continuous year after 4 years of construction, the annualised rate of return is only a 5.9%. Given current market condition where the upside potential for private non-landed is very dim, I very doubt that this scenario will material. If the best scenario is only an unimpressive 5.9% return on investment for a mid term view, I really do any compelling reason to buy a MM now. There are many other investment options available to achieve a more secure higher ROI.

Same scenario as above, except it took 4 yrs for developers to build the MM, and buyer managed to rent it out for $3500 per month, throughout the whole period.

Again, given the optimistic scenario where the buyer is able to find a tenant for the continuous period at $3.5K per month, the ROI is only an unimpressive 3.6%. In most likelihood, the ROI will be less than 3.6% because there can be many other incidental expenses to be incurred.

As stated earlier, there are other safer options available to get higher than this ROI.

Now if you use the same scenarios and calculations on a "non-MM" unit, you'll get some answers :D

leesg123
13-09-13, 23:13
Flawed comparison with other higher ROI investments. For the monthly loan repaynent of $2000, how much goes into the interest, how goes into own pocket (capital return).
About $1166 will be the cost of investment, $833 will be back to own pocket. Say $333 use for maintenance, net is $500. So for your Case 3, ($2000×12)/490k= 4.9%

Initial outlay = $890K

SSD @ 0% = $0
Initial outlay = $890K

dtrax
14-09-13, 02:41
And yes, I am keeping one MM unit in Espada empty so that I can monitor the MCST/developer closely. So if you want and now I have parked here, you are welcome to join me ;)

So hiong but I like! So will we see espada caveats coming up soon? hehe :)

blackjack21trader
14-09-13, 07:43
last time 5 years ago, I already hinted to the developers liao. The upper middle class budget is max S$2million and works out to be around S$1800psf in Singapore CCR. That is their threshold.

You still have a full 12 years to slowly slowly eat the meat from S$1200psf to S$1800psf if you launch psf like +S$50psf every year.

Instead those greedy goondus did what within 5 years ? Rocket the psf from S$1200psf to now S$2500psf and some well over S$3000psf for small MMs in CCR !

Then now panic liao.

FOOLS !

Kokono
14-09-13, 11:32
I completely agree with you. Developer have killed the golden goose and spoiled the party. They should have the patience to milk the cow slowly over time.

chestnut
14-09-13, 13:06
I completely agree with you. Developer have killed the golden goose and spoiled the party. They should have the patience to milk the cow slowly over time.

Can I ask if u buy stocks/shares?????? When u buy stocks, do u look at PE ratio??? Do u want to buy companies with high net profit??? Do u know the profit of apple products???

Kokono
14-09-13, 17:21
Can I ask if u buy stocks/shares?????? When u buy stocks, do u look at PE ratio??? Do u want to buy companies with high net profit??? Do u know the profit of apple products???

And that is the fact. Developers do have in their own interest to maximize profit asap in the glowing market condition back 1-3 years back.

And that is exactly why, the developers have, collectively, run up the acquisition cost and profit margin on properties in such a short period of time. And the result is the go go goody good times is over just as fast as it had started.

This is just a fact of how things go in the market. Maximize profit as fast as possible. Like musical chairs, the last one left standing will lose, that is, if he does not have the holding power.

chestnut
14-09-13, 17:40
And that is the fact. Developers do have in their own interest to maximize profit asap in the glowing market condition back 1-3 years back.

And that is exactly why, the developers have, collectively, run up the acquisition cost and profit margin on properties in such a short period of time. And the result is the go go goody good times is over just as fast as it had started.

This is just a fact of how things go in the market. Maximize profit as fast as possible. Like musical chairs, the last one left standing will lose, that is, if he does not have the holding power.

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5ESTI&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Look at sti in 2009... U either make it or u don't.... Hhahahahahaha

Do you want slow and steady- CM does the job leh

blackjack21trader
14-09-13, 18:30

yes good brother. It is called GREED.

blackjack21trader
14-09-13, 18:31

i agree. Now this is what I called a sensible analysis. Such analysis should be encouraged and not the other kind...you know....that kind that spill nonsense.

Wunderkind
14-09-13, 18:50

Initial outlay = $890K

SSD @ 0% = $0
Initial outlay = $890K

What is the best ROI option ? Is it to sell the MM when SSD is zero ? Assume price would have gone up by 20% by then.

Kokono
14-09-13, 19:48
In my opinion, an investor seeking good ROI should not be looking at mm, especially direct from developer at this all time high price.

It's long term ROI from rental income lose out to the higher ROI from better alternatives.

It's ROI from capital gain, in general, could not be too hopefully because of the simple fact that its area size is too small. Interest rates, fees, stamp duties and many other misc expenses will erode whatever profit margin away quickly.

The only good reason I can think off to buy an resale mm now is the investor is to take profit from all other properties holding now, to hold cash and wait for the next upturn.

blackjack21trader
14-09-13, 20:10
The only good reason I can think off to buy an resale mm now is the investor is to take profit from all other properties holding now, to hold cash and wait for the next upturn.

you are absolutely correct. I am impressed. This is my strategy exactly, good brother :) otherwise sit and wait in the roller coaster ride arh? back to starting line one later wor....:(

august
14-09-13, 20:56
It's long term ROI from rental income lose out to the higher ROI from better alternatives.

It's ROI from capital gain, in general, could not be too hopefully because of the simple fact that its area size is too small. Interest rates, fees, stamp duties and many other misc expenses will erode whatever profit margin away quickly.

Your sentence structures are odd. Very hard to read.

leesg123
14-09-13, 22:18
U keep saying other alternatives, pls give some examples.
my previous analysis on your case 3, pure rental play at 3.5% mortgage interest rate is 4.9% ROI. In reality interest rate gonna be flat for a few years Say at 2% mortgage interest rate, after deducting maintenance, the ROI is easily 6.1%

And if mortgage is 1.5%, ROI is easily 6.5%

And unlike other investment, this MM wont overnight become zero value or file for bankruptcy. So what are you comparing with??
In my opinion, an investor seeking good ROI should not be looking at mm, especially direct from developer at this all time high price.

Jonathan0503
15-09-13, 10:50

Hi BJ

You also have units at Espada? Bought from developer or resale?

Maybe we can meet up to talk about espada, haha

Violinbite
15-09-13, 17:33

Hi BJ,

What is your opinion on OCR condo 3-bedder unit just right outside MRT at $1.1mil of a fair size of 1000sqft? Are they still good for mid - long term investment? Better to rent it out or home stay? Eg. La Fiesta@Sengkang or Jewel@Baungkok

leesg123
16-09-13, 00:15
Hi BJ,

What is your opinion on OCR condo 3-bedder unit just right outside MRT at $1.1mil of a fair size of 1000sqft? Are they still good for mid - long term investment? Better to rent it out or home stay? Eg. La Fiesta@Sengkang or Jewel@Baungkok

Who do you want to rent it to? Where do you think the tenants are working? need to ponder on those questions.

Violinbite
16-09-13, 08:06
Who do you want to rent it to? Where do you think the tenants are working? need to ponder on those questions.

Hi,
primarily it was a thought for home stay, though from my understanding the indian professionals with family often rent D19 region. My agent told me rental for such unit is around $3500/mth. Though a HDB 4A at Serangoon will rent for around $2500 to similar tenants group.

taggy
16-09-13, 09:16
Hi,
primarily it was a thought for home stay, though from my understanding the indian professionals with family often rent D19 region. My agent told me rental for such unit is around $3500/mth. Though a HDB 4A at Serangoon will rent for around $2500 to similar tenants group.

let see compass heights' rentals :cool: :
contract date / sqft / rooms / $$$
Jul 2013 1,100 to 1,200 3 3,500
Jul 2013 1,200 to 1,300 3 3,600
Jul 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 2,800
Jul 2013 900 to 1,000 . 2 3,300
Jul 2013 900 to 1,000 . 2 3,400
Jun 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 3,000
Jun 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 2,600
Jun 2013 1,100 to 1,200 3 3,600
Jun 2013 1,200 to 1,300 3 3,800
Jun 2013 1,100 to 1,200 3 3,500
Jun 2013 900 to 1,000 . 2 3,100
Jun 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 3,300
Jun 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 2,900
Jun 2013 1,100 to 1,200 2 3,400

Violinbite
16-09-13, 22:30
let see compass heights' rentals :cool: :
contract date / sqft / rooms / $$$
Jul 2013 1,100 to 1,200 3 3,500
Jul 2013 1,200 to 1,300 3 3,600
Jul 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 2,800
Jul 2013 900 to 1,000 . 2 3,300
Jul 2013 900 to 1,000 . 2 3,400
Jun 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 3,000
Jun 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 2,600
Jun 2013 1,100 to 1,200 3 3,600
Jun 2013 1,200 to 1,300 3 3,800
Jun 2013 1,100 to 1,200 3 3,500
Jun 2013 900 to 1,000 . 2 3,100
Jun 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 3,300
Jun 2013 600 to 700 ... 1 2,900
Jun 2013 1,100 to 1,200 2 3,400

Hi Tag,
Nice to know compass hts rental for three bedder is $3k+.
Though not sure if all foundation of LF is going to be up by next year