PDA

View Full Version : Not allowing new PRs to buy HDB resale will make Singapore lose competitiveness

economist
28-08-13, 09:41
I think this is really a bad policy, by not allowing new PRs to buy HDB resale, it will make Singapore lose competitiveness.

What would new PRs do? cannot buy HDB resale, and if they buy condo, there is a 5% ABSD + 3% BSD. If they cannot find themselves a home in Singapore, will they settle down? Would the new comers even bother to apply for PR knowing that even PRs cannot buy HDB resale? Will more real foreign talents go to other cities instead? Will Singapore as a whole lose in the long term?

Has the policy makers thought about bigger pictures, rather than just being populist and trying to satisfy the xenophobics?

Now the rule of not allowing new PRs to buy resale HDBs has been made, the government should at least remove or reduce the ABSDs for PRs to buy their first condo!

Disappointed.

yowetan
28-08-13, 09:45
I am happy to own three HDBs and a Mt Sinai apartment.

star
28-08-13, 09:56
So far no people protest for a lower absd yet at hong lim park. Those that want property to cheong make the least complain while the one that want it to drop make alot of noise. Bull are more civilise than bear.

economist
28-08-13, 10:00
So far no people protest for a lower absd yet at hong lim park. Those that want property to cheong make the least complain while the one that want it to drop make alot of noise. Bull are more civilise than bear.

You are right, but, bull or bear aside, the issue here is, govt is now listening to the xenophobics, and the new policy will turn away real talents! Do they really think Singapore is a place that still standout among many other competing cities?

pentium
28-08-13, 10:00
I think this is really a bad policy, by not allowing new PRs to buy HDB resale, it will make Singapore lose competitiveness.

What would new PRs do? cannot buy HDB resale, and if they buy condo, there is a 5% ABSD + 3% BSD. If they cannot find themselves a home in Singapore, will they settle down? Would the new comers even bother to apply for PR knowing that even PRs cannot buy HDB resale? Will more real foreign talents go to other cities instead? Will Singapore as a whole lose in the long term?

Has the policy makers thought about bigger pictures, rather than just being populist and trying to satisfy the xenophobics?

Now the rule of not allowing new PRs to buy resale HDBs has been made, the government should at least remove or reduce the ABSDs for PRs to buy their first condo!

Disappointed.

Its to force them to convert to become citizens, else how to meet the 6.9 mil target. Pay more money or become new citizen ?

chiaberry
28-08-13, 10:02
I think that is a very good suggestion to remove absd for first home for the new PR.

Too much xenophobia is not good for the country. Look what is happening to other countries with xenophobia.

economist
28-08-13, 10:05
Its to force them to convert to become citizens, else how to meet the 6.9 mil target. Pay more money or become new citizen ?

First of all, it is not easy to convert to citizens, secondly, many PRs especially those talented ones would like to stay as PRs at least for some years before making the decision (understandable, as they came from different motherlands).

So, still, by closing doors for new PRs to own a home is irresponsible for Singapore's economy as a whole, govt should really think about removing or reducing the ABSD for PR's first home.

yowetan
28-08-13, 10:06
First of all, it is not easy to convert to citizens, secondly, many PRs especially those talented ones would like to stay as PRs at least for some years before making the decision (understandable, as they came from different motherlands).

So, still, by closing doors for new PRs to own a home is irresponsible for Singapore's economy as a whole, govt should really think about removing or reducing the ABSD for PR's first home.

Hi...Are you a Singaporean or a Foreigner?

economist
28-08-13, 10:08

Singaporean, and an economist.

chiaberry
28-08-13, 10:10
Knee jerk reactions of our Govt to Singaporeans' gripes is getting out of hand. From housing to education, next in the pipeline is cars. I dread to think what they are intending to do to the COEs. :doh:

mosaic
28-08-13, 10:13
can buy lah. Just 3 years later. Anyway its high time HDB prices and property prices come down to more sane levels. My take on HDBs, it should remain in the domain of Singaporeans mainly. HDB is public housing, i.e subsidized and for self stay. There s no reason why the government should be subsidizing non citizens. If they want to buy they can go for private housing. That said should give some space for the not so rich foreign talent lah, so 3 years is fine.

I just pity the OCR buyers though. They ll be hit the hardest. But caveat emptor.

economist
28-08-13, 10:14
Knee jerk reactions of our Govt to Singaporeans' gripes is getting out of hand. From housing to education, next in the pipeline is cars. I dread to think what they are intending to do to the COEs. :doh:

If LKW is still at the helm, it would be much better...

Lovelle
28-08-13, 10:19

Should be LKY. I missed him too

chestnut
28-08-13, 10:19

i doubt... This is the new generation....

I personally feel the govt has a heart.... They are taking care of the masses now... So for me, personally, I feel it is good.

:D

economist
28-08-13, 10:21
can buy lah. Just 3 years later. Anyway its high time HDB prices and property prices come down to more sane levels. My take on HDBs, it should remain in the domain of Singaporeans mainly. HDB is public housing, i.e subsidized and for self stay. There s no reason why the government should be subsidizing non citizens. If they want to buy they can go for private housing. That said should give some space for the not so rich foreign talent lah, so 3 years is fine.

I just pity the OCR buyers though. They ll be hit the hardest. But caveat emptor.

citizens are already heavily subsidized for BTOs; especially for low-to-mid incomes;
PRs are somewhere between citizens and foreigners, they can be citizens-to-be;
therefore, HDB resale should remain open to PRs; 3 years is a long wait.
or, alternatively, there shouldn't be heavy ABSDs for PRs first private housing;

What is worrying is that, some ppl in government tend to think of Singapore as a gold mine that every talent will flock into, they forget that Singapore is actually dependent on human capital, and without good immigration policies or good economies, talents will leave Singapore and make economy worse, we have witnessed that in mid 2000s.

chestnut
28-08-13, 10:22
citizens are already heavily subsidized for BTOs; especially for low-to-mid incomes;
PRs are somewhere between citizens and foreigners, they can be citizens-to-be;
therefore, HDB resale should remain open to PRs; 3 years is a long wait.
or, alternatively, there shouldn't be heavy ABSDs for PRs first private housing;

What is worrying is that, some ppl in government tend to think of Singapore as a gold mine that every talent will flock into, they forget that Singapore is actually dependent on human capital, and without good immigration policies or good economies, talents will leave Singapore and make economy worse, we have witnessed that in mid 2000s.

bro, its the election issue that caused this...

economist
28-08-13, 10:24
i doubt... This is the new generation....

I personally feel the govt has a heart.... They are taking care of the masses now... So for me, personally, I feel it is good.

:D

Govt needs a heart to take care of the people, it also needs a strong and steady hand to run the country - in a longer term.

chestnut
28-08-13, 10:25
Govt needs a heart to take care of the people, it also needs a strong and steady hand to run the country - in a longer term.

They are torn between a populist decision or losing more votes....

august
28-08-13, 10:27
You are right, but, bull or bear aside, the issue here is, govt is now listening to the xenophobics, and the new policy will turn away real talents! Do they really think Singapore is a place that still standout among many other competing cities?

look at australia and the boat people trying to get on its shore daily despite the risks, internment, and even certain death.
likewise people will not come to spore if they think spore is no longer attractive.
the fact is that hordes of foreigners are still trying to get into spore.

august
28-08-13, 10:31

I welcome the current MAS curbs on car loans. it is good and necessary to weed out those who can barely afford car ownership.

wirehtc
28-08-13, 10:32

Allowing to buy HDB is already a privilege. 3 years is a test of their commitment. It makes SG citizenship more valuable.

economist
28-08-13, 10:35
hordes of foreigner are still trying to get into Singapore -- true for now. But, things can change if policies and economies change, remember the period around 2005?

wirehtc
28-08-13, 10:36
Allowing to buy HDB is already a privilege. 3 years is a test of their commitment. It makes SG citizenship more valuable.

With the recent policy changes (the final one pending being the COE), if the economy is able to hum along at 2-3% GDP growth and citizen unemployment rate is kept below 3%, there is a good chance the opposition will lose their seats at the next election.

yowetan
28-08-13, 10:37
Singaporean, and an economist.

Hi...Thanks.

I personally feel HDB should belongs to Singaporean only.

PR and foreign talents are a result of globalization; but it shouldn't be an excuse to own a HDB which is uniquely Singaporean.

star
28-08-13, 11:08
Hi...Thanks.

PR and foreign talents are a result of globalization; but it shouldn't be an excuse to own a HDB which is uniquely Singaporean.
Then nobody will buy your hdb at $900k. Lol.

economist
28-08-13, 11:09
Then nobody will buy your hdb at $900k. Lol.

Well said, LoL

august
28-08-13, 11:10
hordes of foreigner are still trying to get into Singapore -- true for now. But, things can change if policies and economies change, remember the period around 2005?

you refering to SARS period? they were still coming in, just less.

the point is foreigners will always want to come into spore because the conditions and opportunities back home are much worse.

as an economist surely u understand spore rides on global and regional economics. if spore is in bad shape, others will be in even worse shape.

MM Lovers
28-08-13, 11:17
Yes, it is to force them to become citizen. Good for private property owner, they are force to buy private property or rent.

radha08
28-08-13, 11:27

Disappointed.

thats the purpose of iskander....:D :D :D ...malaysia welcomes them:D :D :D

radha08
28-08-13, 11:28
I am happy to own three HDBs and a Mt Sinai apartment.

and a honda fit with skyroof:rolleyes:

C&K
28-08-13, 11:30
Hi...Thanks.

Saw the comments below from another thread.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=426089&postcount=304

radha08
28-08-13, 11:30

what other choice they got...america...australia...malaysia:scared-1: ..SYRIA:scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1:

yowetan
28-08-13, 11:33
and a honda fit with skyroof:rolleyes:

Oh! thanks for reminding me I still have this wonderful car!

It still has 3.5+ years remaining. Hopefully my HDB rentals going strong and stronger so it can help financing bigger car in future!

I feel so fortunate.

Super
28-08-13, 12:10

Disappointed.

You missed the whole point on why they are doing it. They want PR to convert to Citizen. :D

mosaic
28-08-13, 12:28
I think the government is smart enough to know what to do if foreign talent really slows down lah. Its not difficult to remove the policies. I believe we re at the point where we can afford to be picky over the foreign talent we let in. Europe s still in shambles, the US is slowly picking up but average wages are not what they used to be. Where else to go.

Lovelle
28-08-13, 12:28
[SINGAPORE] Tighter housing loan limits and restrictions on permanent residents have been imposed for the purchase of HDB resale flats, which could drive up demand for the rental and private residential markets in the next three years.
The latest series of measures - which include a three-year wait before newly-minted PRs can buy a resale flat - may even rejuvenate the private residential sector, which is expecting an onslaught of supply up to 2016, analysts that BT spoke to said. The new rule for PRs will take effect immediately.
"For the next three years, this is going to be a lifeline for the private housing market as a lot of private homes will be completed," SLP International research head Nicholas Mak said. He expects HDB resale volumes to fall between 15 and 25 per cent in the next 1-2 quarters

invigorated
28-08-13, 12:35
look at australia and the boat people trying to get on its shore daily despite the risks, internment, and even certain death.
likewise people will not come to spore if they think spore is no longer attractive.

agree on this. this policy would ensure that the PRs who are keen to be here are committed and not for a quick buck. as it is, ICA alr has her hand full of PRs. I don't think this measure will stop those who are here to settle down.

3 years also seems fair, let's not forget that Singaporeans have to wait abt there for their bto.

hopeful
28-08-13, 12:42
if citizen apply with new pr , still need to wait 3 years for resale?

mermaid
28-08-13, 12:47
in the 1st place, PRs shdnt even be allowed to buy HDB ...

economist
28-08-13, 12:48
if citizen apply with new pr , still need to wait 3 years for resale?

from what is said in the news, no.

economist
28-08-13, 12:49
[SINGAPORE] Tighter housing loan limits and restrictions on permanent residents have been imposed for the purchase of HDB resale flats, which could drive up demand for the rental and private residential markets in the next three years.
The latest series of measures - which include a three-year wait before newly-minted PRs can buy a resale flat - may even rejuvenate the private residential sector, which is expecting an onslaught of supply up to 2016, analysts that BT spoke to said. The new rule for PRs will take effect immediately.
"For the next three years, this is going to be a lifeline for the private housing market as a lot of private homes will be completed," SLP International research head Nicholas Mak said. He expects HDB resale volumes to fall between 15 and 25 per cent in the next 1-2 quarters

To really rejuvenate the private homes, the ABSD has to be revised.

kane
28-08-13, 12:54
For any kind of talent, Singaporeans inclusive, they should be competing for a private condo. And not haggling over whether they can buy a hdb or not.

xebay11
28-08-13, 13:03
For any kind of talent, Singaporeans inclusive, they should be competing for a private condo. And not haggling over whether they can buy a hdb or not.

Yes agree, if they have to compete with Singaporeans over public housing, then their talents are no different from Singaporeans.

Anyway I applaud the Govt with this policy, those who are committed to Singapore will have to wait, if can't wait, then become Singaporeans.....no ifs or buts.

invigorated
28-08-13, 13:11
Yes agree, if they have to compete with Singaporeans over public housing, then their talents are no different from Singaporeans.

Anyway I applaud the Govt with this policy, those who are committed to Singapore will have to wait, if can't wait, then become Singaporeans.....no ifs or buts.

yup, I don't recall any other country that provides subsidized public housing for PRs, though I stand corrected.

countries like aust have deep barriers of entry and new immigrants compete on the same private housing level.

yowetan
28-08-13, 13:13
My family and myself own 3 HDBs and yet we do not frown over this recent HDB CM.

I still feel HDB should belongs to Singaporean only.

henryhk
28-08-13, 13:13
Hdb should be for Singaporeans....you want to own hdb, then convert to citizens lor, so simple....PR can only rent....they are given $ allowance for them to rent....why can buy hdb? The way garment do is hope the resale price down and allow new PR to buy cheaper 3 years later, make no sense..... But I tell u, it is foolish to sell hdb if own condo.....u will nver get back your hdb....for tose who don't own condo....many of my friends are keeping their unit for rental and save up to buy pte....tis is the trend

yowetan
28-08-13, 13:14
Hdb should be for Singaporeans....you want to own hdb, then convert to citizens lor, so simple....PR can only rent....they are given $ allowance for them to rent....why can buy hdb? The way garment do is hope the resale price down and allow new PR to buy cheaper 3 years later, make no sense..... But I tell u, it is foolish to sell hdb if own condo.....u will nver get back your hdb....for tose who don't own condo....many of my friends are keeping their unit for rental and save up to buy pte....tis is the trend

I am a happy example with 3 HDBs and a Mt Sinai apartment.

invigorated
28-08-13, 13:20

if your friends have tried renting out those hdb units after getting pte, they will realise that they are under hdb mercy. permissions to rent out is required and I wont be surprised if rental regulations were to change.

what used to work may not work today.

invigorated
28-08-13, 13:21
I am a happy example with 3 HDBs and a Mt Sinai apartment.

though you may know yourself that way, most here know u more as an illusion.

yowetan
28-08-13, 13:23
though you may know yourself that way, most here know u more as an illusion.

Hi...I respect your perspective.

invigorated
28-08-13, 13:26
Hi...I respect your perspective.

ha y would I even need respect from an illusion?

henryhk
28-08-13, 13:34
if your friends have tried renting out those hdb units after getting pte, they will realise that they are under hdb mercy. permissions to rent out is required and I wont be surprised if rental regulations were to change.

what used to work may not work today.
Won't change, if want to change earlier change....the garment would not want to see the Singaporeans suffer because alot of them need the hdb rental to support their pte....u know how many people will have suffer because they over commit in the past few years without worry....now then change is too late....2nd if the Singaporeans are happy with extra income...they won't complain too much..don't u get it?

invigorated
28-08-13, 13:44
Won't change, if want to change earlier change....the garment would not want to see the Singaporeans suffer because alot of them need the hdb rental to support their pte....u know how many people will have suffer because they over commit in the past few years without worry....now then change is too late....2nd if the Singaporeans are happy with extra income...they won't complain too much..don't u get it?

never say never. who would guess correctly the tide of these CMs? the rule may not be changed completely but tweaks are possible e.g rental only for those abv 50.

the Singaporeans u said wouldn't suffer, prob just shift back hdb. all investors should expect the unexpected right?

minority
28-08-13, 13:50

Disappointed.

Well so many jealous jokers kpkb mah. Frankly when they all realized they have less people to sell their hdb when they need to retire , upgrade etc they will kpkb again.

Frankly so many short sighted folks can't see far. Just kpkb .

Well the people get wat they ask for. So good! Orrbit good.

minority
28-08-13, 13:54

Who cares? Drop the bulls can load more. I see the bears will not be able to go anywhere if price is down . Retire or upgrade etc.

The bears want buy cheap! Done mean what they get will be usefully if its cheap. Cheap n no job? Suck thumb.

Bear will still have a bear of a time. Nothing to complain. Take advantage of the opportunity.

minority
28-08-13, 14:01

They get rental today. They get to sell their hdb easily. Rising hdb price in line with PC allow them to contuine to chase their upgrade dream.

But!!! All jealous . Want be landlord don't want see FT. Rent to who ghost? Want to sell HBD but jealous PR also can make if they resell it later?

Wat a miopic n narrow mindness . Good let the goon goon shoot themselves in the feet.

I will laugh if hdb price drop n PC still rise. The dream will be come nothing more than day dream to get PC.

Wat a goon goon bunch of population we have. Go look ard Asia which country property bo rise becoz of QE? Never read papers n watch news? Or been living in a well?

minority
28-08-13, 14:03

U think too highly of sgp attractiveness. For that few k of grant? Don't kid ur self. Globe attractiveness have do much options.

jwong71
28-08-13, 14:03
e.g rental only for those abv 50.

What retirement rental for above 50..? LKY alrdy say all old work till 70yrs old,like him:D

minority
28-08-13, 14:04
Are u of sound mind?

minority
28-08-13, 14:06

We are giving the people what the ask for. Shoot themselves in the feet. Govt been saying the short falls. All say I pia me!!! Bluff we want status quo. The current good life but why cannot relax!!!

They forget status quo all this good life will go away . Then the goon dos will kpkb again.

minority
28-08-13, 14:07

Well everyone yank their chain right? With the threat of no vote. So u all get wat u ask for . Wats there to complain!

minority
28-08-13, 14:09

Yes hdb for the dwindling Singaporeans.. Hmm I see a supply explosion coming down the roads . Retire n upgrade all can go suck toes!
Jokers like YT can hug his hdb n cry to sleep.

minority
28-08-13, 14:13
What retirement rental for above 50..? LKY alrdy say all old work till 70yrs old,like him:D

Yeah all reject the option of new citizens wat! No replacement work force so make all the stup work older Loh. Can't u see wat is happening in Japan? Do 2 jobs!

Only goon dos can't see. I call this self inflicted!

Let u retiree at 50. Kpkb say bo kang Jo. Give u Jo kang kpkb must jo kang . Wat a joke.

minority
28-08-13, 14:14

Compete wat? Singaporean go buy new. PR buy from
Singaporean giving $$$ to the Singaporean. C me competition? Tell me?

flxcat
28-08-13, 14:15
With the recent policy changes (the final one pending being the COE), if the economy is able to hum along at 2-3% GDP growth and citizen unemployment rate is kept below 3%, there is a good chance the opposition will lose their seats at the next election.

I doubt so. Singaporeans want a check and balance in the parliament. Hee... But underlying to held ruling party ransom for their many demands at the expense of the economy of the nation. Simply is a war between the have and have not, a very true selfish aspect of human DNA :D

invigorated
28-08-13, 14:17
We are giving the people what the ask for. Shoot themselves in the feet. Govt been saying the short falls. All say I pia me!!! Bluff we want status quo. The current good life but why cannot relax!!!

They forget status quo all this good life will go away . Then the goon dos will kpkb again.

hey minority, it's ironic that you open mouth close mouth here keep repeating that the goons kpkb when u just released a whole string of threads to kpkb?!

thomastansb
28-08-13, 14:18
It is time to start slowly converting S$ to other currencies.

I doubt so. Singaporeans want a check and balance in the parliament. Hee... But underlying to held ruling party ransom for their many demands at the expense of the economy of the nation. Simply is a war between the have and have not, a very true selfish aspect of human DNA :D

gemstone
28-08-13, 14:21
May I ask who is the minister who came up with foreigners ownership of subsidised public housing?

thomastansb
28-08-13, 14:26
Singaporeans have high expectation one.

They want to buy HDB at 20k. Just like their parents time. Some of my friends like to say his father buy the flat for 40k. Now, 250k.

They also want to be one of those who sell for 1 million dollars HDB.

They also want slower GDP growth. But when salary adjustment come, they want 15 to 20%.

They want to have lesser foreigners but hopefully, someone to clear their plates at hawker, someone to sweep the floors. One party (we all know who) even better. 0 foreigner growth but new blocks who clean the estate? Really no brains.

They want to drive a car with no COE and no traffic jam

Lastly, they want all these achieved without GST, without income tax because they believe ministers should work for the nation, not for money. So ministers should get paid $20k a year. Even 20k is too high. Maybe $10 meal allowance a day.

That should sum most of it up for this gen of Singaporeans. Huat ! Slowly move my assets out. Old Lee said he don't know if PAP still the ruling party after 2026 elections so I will bear that in mind. Most of the time, he is right.

Well so many jealous jokers kpkb mah. Frankly when they all realized they have less people to sell their hdb when they need to retire , upgrade etc they will kpkb again.

Frankly so many short sighted folks can't see far. Just kpkb .

Well the people get wat they ask for. So good! Orrbit good.

minority
28-08-13, 14:27
May I ask who is the minister who came up with foreigners ownership of subsidised public housing?

subsidized wat? buy resale subsidized? lol... right subsidized the 1st singaporean.. should stop that.. let them wake up the idea.

thomastansb
28-08-13, 14:28
Is there such a policy?

stl67
28-08-13, 14:28

true lah.. but we want the better quality one to come mah.. but if we are too xenophobic.. the good want will detour...

minority
28-08-13, 14:29
Singaporeans have high expectation one.

They want to buy HDB at 20k. Just like their parents time. Some of my friends like to say his father buy the flat for 40k. Now, 250k.

They also want to be one of those who sell for 1 million dollars HDB.

They also want slower GDP growth. But when salary adjustment come, they want 15 to 20%.

They want to have lesser foreigners but hopefully, someone to clear their plates at hawker, someone to sweep the floors. One party (we all know who) even better. 0 foreigner growth but new blocks who clean the estate? Really no brains.

They want to drive a car with no COE and no traffic jam

Lastly, they want all these achieved without GST, without income tax because they believe ministers should work for the nation, not for money. So ministers should get paid $20k a year. Even 20k is too high. Maybe $10 meal allowance a day.

That should sum most of it up for this gen of Singaporeans. Huat ! Slowly move my assets out. Old Lee said he don't know if PAP still the ruling party after 2026 elections so I will bear that in mind. Most of the time, he is right.

Tat I totally agree.. come tat day I am already all regret will be too late. well like the saying goes. PRIDE COMES BEFORE A FALL.

minority
28-08-13, 14:32
Is there such a policy?

aiyah there are still people kpkb say its B$! earn 1K where can buy HDB. eat wat!!!

only the stupid get left behind. like the saying goes.. Stupid no medicine can cure.

minority
28-08-13, 14:35
what other choice they got...america...australia...malaysia:scared-1: ..SYRIA:scared-1: :scared-1: :scared-1:

Thailand? bay sai meh? thailand is so Farang friendly!

minority
28-08-13, 14:37
You missed the whole point on why they are doing it. They want PR to convert to Citizen. :D

u think PR will convert for that few K benifit? with all this restriction for wat? US is getting back on track. go US! go london! even thailand also got option. or malaysia KL!

minority
28-08-13, 14:39

yes.. let the singaporean hold their HDB even longer... test the commitment also!

gemstone
28-08-13, 14:42
yes.. let the singaporean hold their HDB even longer... test the commitment also!

why wouldn't the Singaporean hold their home even longer?

gemstone
28-08-13, 14:43
Is there such a policy?

I meant who is the minister who go ahead with allowing foreigners owning HDB,aka subsidised public housing.

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 14:50

I am lucky to have bought all my stuff "liao". Based on my observation in this island country, real foreign talent with real substance are paid well enough to not live in hdb. Of course there are exceptions like those that are talented but tight-wired and the percentage is small, very small according to my gut feel. Those in the bracket looking for hdb are usually the ones competing for jobs you can fill and at better wages but these category of foreign job seekers are hampering your wage growth resulting in extremely high mortgage to wage ratio compared to Geneva. Trust me, the government is doing the right thing.

xebay11
28-08-13, 14:52
u think PR will convert for that few K benifit? with all this restriction for wat? US is getting back on track. go US! go london! even thailand also got option. or malaysia KL!

Agree with you, so what are you waiting for?...you sound like a bitter foreigner whose days are numbered in SG.

thomastansb
28-08-13, 15:00
There is no such policy. Foreigners are not allowed to buy subsidised housing. Not even PR can buy.

I meant who is the minister who go ahead with allowing foreigners owning HDB,aka subsidised public housing.

gemstone
28-08-13, 15:05
There is no such policy. Foreigners are not allowed to buy subsidised housing. Not even PR can buy.

PR are not foreigners? They are not allowed to buy HDB? If so, now why the need to defer PR buying hdb after 3 years?

having said that, anybody know who is the minister who allow foreigners owning public housing?

kane
28-08-13, 15:12
point one, the days of hdb appreciating steadily could be numbered. point 2, singapore's attractiveness cannot hinge on this restriction of buying resale flat. isn't it embarrassing to call yourself a talent when you quibble over such five cent ten cents things? afterall there's a lot of condos available for rent in the coming few years with all the TOPs slated.

xebay11
28-08-13, 15:14
point one, the days of hdb appreciating steadily could be numbered. point 2, singapore's attractiveness cannot hinge on this restriction of buying resale flat. isn't it embarrassing to call yourself a talent when you quibble over such five cent ten cents things? afterall there's a lot of condos available for rent in the coming few years with all the TOPs slated.

+1....unless of course they are not talents to begin with.

minority
28-08-13, 15:20
Agree with you, so what are you waiting for?...you sound like a bitter foreigner whose days are numbered in SG.

Bitter? Lol u must be the xenophobic jokers. I m more Singaporean than the softies now.

minority
28-08-13, 15:22
PR are not foreigners? They are not allowed to buy HDB? If so, now why the need to defer PR buying hdb after 3 years?

having said that, anybody know who is the minister who allow foreigners owning public housing?

Can u explain which angle is subsidized ? U mean subsidize the 1st Singaporean owner to cash out?

Lol. Wat flawed logic.

minority
28-08-13, 15:25
+1....unless of course they are not talents to begin with.

Good pass the increased housing rental into ur day to day service cost. :doh:

thomastansb
28-08-13, 15:27
Go read up what is subsidised housing.

Resale housing are NOT subsidised housing. They don't get a single cent of subsidy. These houses are based on OMV. Get your facts right.

invigorated
28-08-13, 15:37
lets make some sense on the percentage of foreigners buying resale. it's currently approximated at 20%. the rest are still supported by downgraders or upgraders.

prices of hdb flats have historically risen from the past since the introduction of hdb, though at some points there were points of inflexion. it was a good hedge for citizens against inflation.

were there so many PRs then?

it was only with the more liberal policies and the huge influx that contributed to a price spike, which led to the outcry by citizens that such spikes are unhealthy for the young and soon to be married.

by removing the catalyst, there is a glimmer of hope that prices will return to sanity.

kane
28-08-13, 15:37

relax, there's enough condos coming up, afterall to this group, a thousand dollar difference per month in rental commitment doesn't make that much of a difference to their bottom line.

xebay11
28-08-13, 15:41

Fear mongering, there are many talents in the field, the best man wins, no need to worry about passing costs.....talent and productivity is the way to go. An talent who can do the work of three people....why worry about cost?

xebay11
28-08-13, 15:43
Bitter? Lol u must be the xenophobic jokers. I m more Singaporean than the softies now.

Xenophobic jokers? I am asking all true talents to sink roots and be citizens....citizenship does have benefits.

henryhk
28-08-13, 15:54
I have nver bothered about the new measures from the garment...because no more game to play... I just pity tose who have saved so much to almost getting one pc and then shoot down by the new measures ..... but tat is life, u gain some , u lose some..... for the sake of the country, tis is a positive move by the garment.

economist
28-08-13, 15:56
...singapore's attractiveness cannot hinge on this restriction of buying resale flat. isn't it embarrassing to call yourself a talent when you quibble over such five cent ten cents things? afterall there's a lot of condos available for rent in the coming few years with all the TOPs slated.

I think you confused talents with rich people.

lots of foreign talents are not rich, but they bring their specialties, or intelligence that many fellow Singaporeans lack of.

xebay11
28-08-13, 15:59

lots of foreign talents are not rich, but they bring their specialties, or intelligence that many fellow Singaporeans lack of.

If they really do have specialties, or intelligence that many fellow Singaporeans lack, then they should be paid accordingly as well...meaning such trivial measure would leave them unfazed, afterall such talented people should be living in the best that Singapore has to offer and not cheap public housing meant for the "untalented" people.

lionhill
28-08-13, 16:11
Those kpkb to make this policy true will cry someday due to the stagnant, or even dropped HDB price.

For most PRs, they will gradually realize that the so called discount in HDB is actually an illusion. The reason is simple: Looking back from year 2005 to now, the 5rm HDB price inflated from ~400k to ~750k, while the condo prices increase from 700k to ~1,500k. In fact, buying PCs straight away would be better off than buying HDBs.

mermaid
28-08-13, 16:14
If they really do have specialties, or intelligence that many fellow Singaporeans lack, then they should be paid accordingly as well...meaning such trivial measure would leave them unfazed, afterall such talented people should be living in the best that Singapore has to offer and not cheap public housing meant for the "untalented" people.

lol ... talented foreigners fighting over cheap public housing meant for the "untalented" citizens is oso their talents mah :D

xebay11
28-08-13, 16:15
Those kpkb to make this policy true will cry someday due to the stagnant, or even dropped HDB price.

For most PRs, they will gradually realize that the so called discount in HDB is actually an illusion. The reason is simple: Looking back from year 2005 to now, the 5rm HDB price inflated from ~400k to ~750k, while the condo prices increase from 700k to ~1,500k. In fact, buying PCs straight away would be better off than buying HDBs.

Bro, many people did not have the means to buying PCs at the time. Anyway in any policy there are two camps, price escalation camp and non-price escalation camp....today we are only hearing crying from the price escalation camp, you cannot hear the thunderous cheers in the non-price escalation camp?

mermaid
28-08-13, 16:18

wat I noe is tat govt is trying to please citizens of all levels.

The poor kpkb tat housing is not affordable. govt hv to do something.
To prevent ppty prices from sky rocketing, they intro CMs of all forms.

Now, the rich kpkb tat rental is suffering, so the govt ask PRs to rent.

Qn : wait the PRs kpkb, wat will the govt do? :beats-me-man:

phantom_opera
28-08-13, 16:18
Do u know china fresh graduates this year is 7.6m? It was barely 1m many years ago.

mermaid
28-08-13, 16:20
Do u know china fresh graduates this year is 7.6m? It was barely 1m many years ago.
r they rich onot? if not, tis might not be the talents tat we wan wor! :scared-2:

minority
28-08-13, 16:32
lets make some sense on the percentage of foreigners buying resale. it's currently approximated at 20%. the rest are still supported by downgraders or upgraders.

prices of hdb flats have historically risen from the past since the introduction of hdb, though at some points there were points of inflexion. it was a good hedge for citizens against inflation.

were there so many PRs then?

it was only with the more liberal policies and the huge influx that contributed to a price spike, which led to the outcry by citizens that such spikes are unhealthy for the young and soon to be married.

by removing the catalyst, there is a glimmer of hope that prices will return to sanity.

So if u say 20% are PR buying. The rest are citizen any actual stats? Anyway the citizen have a choice if they want they can go buy brand new. For wat ever reason they want to pay more ie location , near mall , near mrt n near school etc. then shall we also blame the those who reject the choice of buying new?

For those citizen who sold n upgrade to another hdb. So is it bad to allow hdb to raise to allow social mobility? One citizen sell his hdb made $ go buy another citizen hdb . 2nd citizen made $ go buy PC. Is that bad? Or shall we let all just swim in their hdb getto n never able to bridge the PC divide?

So selfish view to think that one's only can gain everyone else must loose.

minority
28-08-13, 16:34
relax, there's enough condos coming up, afterall to this group, a thousand dollar difference per month in rental commitment doesn't make that much of a difference to their bottom line.

Lol. I m happy to collect rent. But to simply think increasing the cost across the board for FT have to impact to us is just naive.

minority
28-08-13, 16:35
Fear mongering, there are many talents in the field, the best man wins, no need to worry about passing costs.....talent and productivity is the way to go. An talent who can do the work of three people....why worry about cost?

Sure I m sure u are happy to pay $10 chicken rice. No fear just eat on.

minority
28-08-13, 16:39

Aiyah xenophobic n jealous. Always feel other folks are better off , got better job , got more pay , got all good thing. Diff from reality. It's the sgp Sme boss who need this workers. Take them away the singapore boss can close shop. Coz hire no 1. All sinky want work for mnc relax relax .

So whose lost? Well or bit good ;)

gemstone
28-08-13, 16:44
Go read up what is subsidised housing.

Resale housing are NOT subsidised housing. They don't get a single cent of subsidy. These houses are based on OMV. Get your facts right.

You read too much lah. Have you ever thought about why hdb omv are a fraction of those pc next to them? Now you can start talking about subsidy..., not just the first few grands of grants.

Again, do you know which minister anot? I am asking who is the minister??? not going to the discussion of public policy.

minority
28-08-13, 16:48
r they rich onot? if not, tis might not be the talents tat we wan wor! :scared-2:

Rich people jealous kpkb jack up price flashy F F F . Poor FT kpkb not the people we want.. So funny. Huh. Pple only want see sgpean cook local food! Kpkb All we can see is ourself . I don't mind other people son go char Kway tiao. Just as long not mine.

That's the people today. Solid generation .

xebay11
28-08-13, 16:58
Sure I m sure u are happy to pay $10 chicken rice. No fear just eat on.

$10 chicken rice? Eat at home, see how long the $10 chicken rice seller can survive, it's a free market.

xebay11
28-08-13, 17:01
Rich people jealous kpkb jack up price flashy F F F . Poor FT kpkb not the people we want.. So funny. Huh. Pple only want see sgpean cook local food! Kpkb All we can see is ourself . I don't mind other people son go char Kway tiao. Just as long not mine.

Hello! you more solid, cannot tell the difference between low level foreigners who do menial jobs which we badly need, nobody is arguing about them, I think most Singaporeans are worried about those cheap no talents disguising as PMETs stealing jobs and housing which Singaporeans are also targeting.

mermaid
28-08-13, 17:11
Hello! you more solid, cannot tell the difference between low level foreigners who do menial jobs which we badly need, nobody is arguing about them, I think most Singaporeans are worried about those cheap no talents disguising as PMETs stealing jobs and housing which Singaporeans are also targeting.

cos tat's a foreign talent spotted!

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 17:14

Your Singapore Polytechnic graduates in Clean Energy are actually better than the no brand engineering graduates from China as well as similar no brand ones from other parts of the developing world. I went to the US with just my shirt on my back and lots of connections.

A real talent always have connections. In the Singapore context, if they are any good, the EDB, NUS and NTU, they all know what to do. Your government also need to learn things the hard way. They have adjusted like in this policy which bars the no brand foreigners from owning a property here. It is a fantastic positive sign for post 2016 rocket price through the roof when investors view Singapore as being politically ever more mature and stable with PAP at the helm.

This is a smart policy. Smart policies always draw smart money.

mermaid
28-08-13, 17:14

do u noe y they said u r not sinkies?
cos u dun understand our mentaility at all.
if can choose, we dun wan any foreign talents.
is our greedy lao pehs wanna them.
but as the kias we hv no choice to obey our lao pehs.
we sinkies internal fight alrdy buey tahan liao still wanna international fight?
u dun understand us la!

gemstone
28-08-13, 17:25

They are not worried, they are DuLan!:simmering:

elmo
28-08-13, 17:28
This policy is unlikely to cause a major price impact on HDB. A newly minted rich PR would have bought private anyway. Remember? PR cant rent out their HDB anymore. So, they are unlikely to buy HDB resale as investment. A poor PR who can't really afford property is likely to rent anyway due to the ABSD. A good move by govt as it continues to take away privileges from PR, nudging them to take up citizenship instead.

minority
28-08-13, 17:28
$10 chicken rice? Eat at home, see how long the $10 chicken rice seller can survive, it's a free market.

really? not KPKB must cook ur own chicken , pluck the feathers tips that are still stuck on ur chicken? maybe call mummy n cry? quality of life suffered?

minority
28-08-13, 17:29

Stealing LOL.... that means u are also cheap Singaporean doing useless jobs that can be stolen.

minority
28-08-13, 17:30
cos tat's a foreign talent spotted!

lol xenophobic. my red IC is more red than all the kpkb sore ass out there.

minority
28-08-13, 17:34
do u noe y they said u r not sinkies?
cos u dun understand our mentaility at all.
if can choose, we dun wan any foreign talents.
is our greedy lao pehs wanna them.
but as the kias we hv no choice to obey our lao pehs.
we sinkies internal fight alrdy buey tahan liao still wanna international fight?
u dun understand us la!

I understand ! u just dont want to admit. all cheapos n self centered. I win all must lose mentality.

want to buy HDB at 20K but want to sell 1M
want to eat local food cooked by local. But dont want to see thier own son being the hawker.
all want to buy car cheap cheap but kpkb got jam.
want everything supplied by state. but dont want to pay a single cent tax.

thats the singaporean mentality. cheap shallow and myopic n self centered.

mermaid
28-08-13, 17:36
lol xenophobic. my red IC is more red than all the kpkb sore ass out there.

ah huh! caught u!

we local breed r using pink ICs, not red one wor! :D

I understand ! u just dont want to admit. all cheapos n self centered. I win all must lose mentality.

want to eat local food cooked by local. But dont want to see thier own son being the hawker.

stop acting like one of us la!

economist
28-08-13, 17:40
Your Singapore Polytechnic graduates in Clean Energy are actually better than the no brand engineering graduates from China as well as similar no brand ones from other parts of the developing world. I went to the US with just my shirt on my back and lots of connections.

You haven't seen enough foreign talents. Pls take a look at those jobs requiring higher intellectuals. You don't see many Singaporeans there, few of Singaporeans qualify. I know, because i have seen many, and I'm glad my job is economist, a relatively low-intellectual job.

As LKY correctly put, Singapore's success depends on foreign talents. Period. I don't know what LKY would feel after seeing such stupid policy (new PRs cannot buy resale HDB).

relax88
28-08-13, 17:42
Those that book ec now thinking they would make a killing when they sell their hdb must be :D

mermaid
28-08-13, 17:43
Those that book ec now thinking they would make a killing when they sell their hdb must be :D

u haven look at the ec developers who bid ec land wif pte $ :D

hopeful
28-08-13, 17:50
You read too much lah. Have you ever thought about why hdb omv are a fraction of those pc next to them? Now you can start talking about subsidy..., not just the first few grands of grants.

Again, do you know which minister anot? I am asking who is the minister??? not going to the discussion of public policy.

in your opnion, why are resale HDB (include COV) are a fraction of those pc next to them?

hopeful
28-08-13, 17:57
You haven't seen enough foreign talents. Pls take a look at those jobs requiring higher intellectuals. You don't see many Singaporeans there, few of Singaporeans qualify. I know, because i have seen many, and I'm glad my job is economist, a relatively low-intellectual job.

As LKY correctly put, Singapore's success depends on foreign talents. Period. I don't know what LKY would feel after seeing such stupid policy (new PRs cannot buy resale HDB).

what is a definition of foreign talent? what is salary range for a FT?

economist
28-08-13, 18:15

The range can be very wide, from a young IC designer, to a more experienced audio codec researcher, research engineer in Nanotech, a offshore rig principal engineer, a senior financial engineer... For many of such positions that I have seen, more than 2/3 are foreign talents.

That's why I said in previous posts, not all foreign talents are rich, but their presence made Singaporeans rich, example being buying up HDB resale units whose owners could be low-wage low-intellectual Singaporeans (no offence here, as I acknowledged my job is also relatively low-intellectual) who enjoyed heavy govt subsidies when they bought the new BTO; and of course, renting condo units from owners here.

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 18:43

I am an employer, not so much in Singapore but I would say those that are commanding significantly less than 10K to 12K a month are holding jobs that Singaporeans can be nurtured to do. For instance we have Singaporean engineers working for 5K a month in electronics. Their mathematical skills can be honed into financial engineering and get say 8K in the finance industry. Because he is local, he need not spend on rental of 4K a month.

gemstone
28-08-13, 18:50
in your opnion, why are resale HDB (include COV) are a fraction of those pc next to them?

Thank you for asking.

I'm just a lay person. I say it got to do with the income of the buyers. In order to match this income group, for them to have shelter, hdb need to build public housing (subsidise ones). The grants are privileges given to citizens who bought direct from hdb, so they only need to come out lesser cash/cpf upfront. Where do all these subsidies and grants come from? I'm not sure;______ maybe the accountant office can advise. Don't you all find it quirky that foreigners enjoy subsidies? I see subsidy as goodwill which value are not determinable yet. I can see why foreigners are salivating over hdb, since our hdb are consider the best around the world! I would say the government must be watchful over foreign ownership.

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 19:00
The range can be very wide, from a young IC designer, to a more experienced audio codec researcher, research engineer in Nanotech, a offshore rig principal engineer, a senior financial engineer... For many of such positions that I have seen, more than 2/3 are foreign talents.

That's why I said in previous posts, not all foreign talents are rich, but their presence made Singaporeans rich, example being buying up HDB resale units whose owners could be low-wage low-intellectual Singaporeans (no offence here, as I acknowledged my job is also relatively low-intellectual) who enjoyed heavy govt subsidies when they bought the new BTO; and of course, renting condo units from owners here.

No sure about dangerous offshore rigs...but as for the others you mentioned, I have seen them all. For instance, IC designing in Singapore is on the decline. The whole semiconductor eco system is in Taiwan and more recently Shanghai. How to be well paid being an IC designer whether local or foreign? So there is a structural unemployment issue that the government is trying to address.

Not all foreign talent helped make Singapore rich. Its those in the finance industry that came to bring the wealth management standards closer to Geneva that made an impact on rental yields. The Swiss, the Londoners, the New Yorkers, the Luxembourgers, they are the ones.

Most important of all, it's the Government's policy to model after Geneva that made Singaporeans rich. Singapore has been trying that model for many years since the 90s without success but once the Chinese became thunderously rich, Singapore became the natural Geneva for the Chinese. That's how Singapore became rich. Not because of hdb-chasing no brand foreigners. Those chasing hdb should just pack and go and let WDA do its job of tackling the structural unemployment issue Singaporeans are facing.

Thumbs up for your current government. This place is functioning better and standards of services are getting closer to those in London and Geneva although the weather here is a deterrent. But I guess the safety of my money is more important than the discomforting weather.

kane
28-08-13, 19:16

a senior financial engineer or offshore rig engineer with significant experience can afford $3500 rent a month lah. if not they can rent a 5room flat for $2500 lah. they are already paid well. i don't think they need to be incentivised to be able to buy a resale flat before they decide to come here.

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 19:21
a senior financial engineer or offshore rig engineer with significant experience can afford $3500 rent a month lah. if not they can rent a 5room flat for $2500 lah. they are already paid well. i don't think they need to be incentivised to be able to buy a resale flat before they decide to come here.

Exactly. Spot On!

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 19:47

Its really not a stupid policy. Singapore needs foreign talent, no doubt about that. I definitely want the sharpest minds to manage my money. And sharp minds means that they are bound to be well paid and no need to chase hdb.

In the long run, barring external shocks, whether Hdb or private, prices will continue to go up. The government will have to cater to different lifestyles of Singaporeans whatever their income bracket. In the long term, the definition of the family nucleus will have to change to embrace different lifestyles to spark creativity of all kinds.

Singapore is currently only managing one-third of the size of funds that the Swiss are managing. Switzerland is about 7 million strong. Singapore's 6.9 million target a coincidence? Geneva and Zurich are all average $1000 psf everywhere. But their gini coefficient is far less disturbing than that of Singapore's. Incomes there are better distributed and so the above average person does not have to mortgage life away for something cosy and nice.

Of course, other than banking secrecy, the Swiss has chocolates, luxury watches, pharma and baby foods. All highly value added from relatively cheap inputs. Singapore is not there yet in industry but it aims to be in other areas where there is natural strength like marine engineering and on the lighter side, tropical fish farming.

Once Singapore overtakes the Swiss in terms of the size of funds that is managed in Singapore which I personally believe is a sure thing, it is hope that the other sectors will bite as well.

So, it cannot be a stupid policy. In contrast, this is a policy that has positive undercurrent that will surface later for the common good.

amk
28-08-13, 20:17
Is a nurse considered talented enough for you ?

Btw, today chnese paper headline "HDB resale price could drop 10%"

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 20:25
Current angst amongst Singaporeans as I understand it is that jobs that they want or that they reasonably aspire to are taken away by foreigners. Jobs that are shunned by Singaporeans and jobs with skills that Singaporeans somehow have not attained are a separate matter. Trying that 2nd hand story about nurses thing? Something original perhaps from you?

kane
28-08-13, 20:28
nurses are talented in their own right and as it is, they are already sharing to rent an entire hdb flat. yesterday's policies will have no impact on them.

i applaud their contributions to our social well being.

august
28-08-13, 20:58

why do u care what LKY feel? only a dog will care how its master feel, and u are not his dog right? lol

hopeful
28-08-13, 21:53

i am still not sure about your definition of foreign talent.
your statement about not all foreign talents are rich are not false, but to me, to be talented means to be well-paid.
of course if an FT spends his huge income for eg on gambling, then he is well-paid but not rich.

hopeful
28-08-13, 22:13
I am an employer, not so much in Singapore but I would say those that are commanding significantly less than 10K to 12K a month are holding jobs that Singaporeans can be nurtured to do. For instance we have Singaporean engineers working for 5K a month in electronics. Their mathematical skills can be honed into financial engineering and get say 8K in the finance industry. Because he is local, he need not spend on rental of 4K a month.

The range can be very wide, from a young IC designer, to a more experienced audio codec researcher, research engineer in Nanotech, a offshore rig principal engineer, a senior financial engineer... For many of such positions that I have seen, more than 2/3 are foreign talents.....

I worked before in an foreign MNC in o&g.
the locals always complained, they work the same job, face the dangers in the field, yet their salary much lower than angmo.
I tell them, if asian want to have same salary as angmo, the angmo boss prefer to hire who? of course angmo boss hire own skin color.
they employ singaporeans because we are MUCH cheaper than angmos.
the higher positions are mostly foreigners.

remember, the angmo bosses are also employees, if local pay and angmo pay not much different, they will hire own kind, afterall it is companies money.

would an angmo GM hire angmo at $12k or a singaporean at $8k? you maybe surprised at the answer.

hopeful
28-08-13, 22:16
Thank you for asking.

I'm just a lay person. I say it got to do with the income of the buyers. In order to match this income group, for them to have shelter, hdb need to build public housing (subsidise ones). The grants are privileges given to citizens who bought direct from hdb, so they only need to come out lesser cash/cpf upfront. Where do all these subsidies and grants come from? I'm not sure;______ maybe the accountant office can advise. Don't you all find it quirky that foreigners enjoy subsidies? I see subsidy as goodwill which value are not determinable yet. I can see why foreigners are salivating over hdb, since our hdb are consider the best around the world! I would say the government must be watchful over foreign ownership.

errr...i am talking about resale, and not new HDB.

hopeful
28-08-13, 22:18
nurses are talented in their own right and as it is, they are already sharing to rent an entire hdb flat. yesterday's policies will have no impact on them.

i applaud their contributions to our social well being.

sorry, nurses are skilled workers...somehow the word talent are loosely used about.

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 22:28
I worked before in an foreign MNC in o&g.
the locals always complained, they work the same job, face the dangers in the field, yet their salary much lower than angmo.
I tell them, if asian want to have same salary as angmo, the angmo boss prefer to hire who? of course angmo boss hire own skin color.
they employ singaporeans because we are MUCH cheaper than angmos.
the higher positions are mostly foreigners.

remember, the angmo bosses are also employees, if local pay and angmo pay not much different, they will hire own kind, afterall it is companies money.

would an angmo GM hire angmo at $12k or a singaporean at $8k? you maybe surprised at the answer.

Yes I have seen it, not in oil and gas but in other industries. I know that the answer is that the angmo GM is likely to hire angmo at 12K instead of choosing the local guy at 8K. My angle is this: Company politics. I should think that this applies to Oil & Gas too: the angmo GM did not choose to come here in the first place. He's been posted out. He needs someone he can trust. Because they share the same culture, they tend to flock together but he cannot bust his budget. So he ends up paying the angmo more at the expense of Singaporeans.

kane
28-08-13, 22:46
sorry, nurses are skilled workers...somehow the word talent are loosely used about.

assuming that i want to take the widest definition of talent as possible from the low end to the highest end. on the low end, they continue to rent like they always have. besides, if hdb prices do come down because of these measures, owners would have less pressure to up their rental. on the mid to top end, they are well paid enough that they shouldn't have to worry about renting a private condo.

so you can call me thick but i can't understand what the hullabaloo is all about?

HDB owners just need to be prepared that appreciation isn't going to happen like before and if they want to upgrade to condo, it won't come so naturally. maybe they'll bring back more ECs to cater to this sandwich group.

chestnut
28-08-13, 22:55

Google is your friend

http://hstyphoononline.wiki.hci.edu.sg/file/view/Singapore.doc/152612407/Singapore.doc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Singapore

http://www.jtc.gov.sg/RealEstateSolutions/Housing/Pages/Public-Apartments.aspx

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/03/12/jtc-to-phase-out-scheme-for-housing-of-foreign-talent/

teddybear
28-08-13, 23:06
PRs are supposed to be high-income earners. Not high-income not welcome because compete with jobs for middle and low income singaporeans.
In fact, they didn't go far enough - ban PRs from buying resale HDB flats! Why are PRs buying HDB flats when they are supposed to be high-income earners? They should not be causing HDB flats to become so expensive! They should not be getting subsidy from buying resale HDB flats! (indeed, even resale HDB flats has some subsidy because owners are not selling at full value due to restrictions, and because they bought cheap and willing to sell cheap and yet still can earn a lot of money!).

proud owner
28-08-13, 23:16

if I am paid min 1 mio a year ,,, sit down have someone write as I recite history and publish as books .... I would work till 80

chestnut
28-08-13, 23:20
PRs are supposed to be high-income earners. Not high-income not welcome because compete with jobs for middle and low income singaporeans.
In fact, they didn't go far enough - ban PRs from buying resale HDB flats! Why are PRs buying HDB flats when they are supposed to be high-income earners? They should not be causing HDB flats to become so expensive! They should not be getting subsidy from buying resale HDB flats! (indeed, even resale HDB flats has some subsidy because owners are not selling at full value due to restrictions, and because they bought cheap and willing to sell cheap and yet still can earn a lot of money!).

Check this out... Your theory is not true...
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151#eligibility
http://www.mom.gov.sg/pass-navigator/long-term-visit/Pages/i-am-married-to-a-singaporean-singapore-or-my-parent-is-a-singaporean-singapore-pr.aspx

economist
28-08-13, 23:30
Its really not a stupid policy. Singapore needs foreign talent, no doubt about that. I definitely want the sharpest minds to manage my money. And sharp minds means that they are bound to be well paid and no need to chase hdb.

In the long run, barring external shocks, whether Hdb or private, prices will continue to go up. The government will have to cater to different lifestyles of Singaporeans whatever their income bracket. In the long term, the definition of the family nucleus will have to change to embrace different lifestyles to spark creativity of all kinds.

Singapore is currently only managing one-third of the size of funds that the Swiss are managing. Switzerland is about 7 million strong. Singapore's 6.9 million target a coincidence? Geneva and Zurich are all average $1000 psf everywhere. But their gini coefficient is far less disturbing than that of Singapore's. Incomes there are better distributed and so the above average person does not have to mortgage life away for something cosy and nice.

Of course, other than banking secrecy, the Swiss has chocolates, luxury watches, pharma and baby foods. All highly value added from relatively cheap inputs. Singapore is not there yet in industry but it aims to be in other areas where there is natural strength like marine engineering and on the lighter side, tropical fish farming.

Once Singapore overtakes the Swiss in terms of the size of funds that is managed in Singapore which I personally believe is a sure thing, it is hope that the other sectors will bite as well.

So, it cannot be a stupid policy. In contrast, this is a policy that has positive undercurrent that will surface later for the common good.

I like your polite tone of replying, I would also be happy if Singapore can achieve what Swiss can, and I reckon you maybe one of the outstanding Singaporeans, but you might be overestimating the quality of average Singaporeans, and underestimating the dependence on foreign talents. As I said before, I did not say Singaporeans cannot fit some of the positions I mentioned (there are many more types of such positions), I said "few" can, yes, there are always some outstanding Singaporeans, but still, most of the positions can only be filled by PRs, foreigners.

economist
28-08-13, 23:33
thank you Chestnut for sharing useful links.

proud owner
28-08-13, 23:35
No sure about dangerous offshore rigs...but as for the others you mentioned, I have seen them all. For instance, IC designing in Singapore is on the decline. The whole semiconductor eco system is in Taiwan and more recently Shanghai. How to be well paid being an IC designer whether local or foreign? So there is a structural unemployment issue that the government is trying to address.

Not all foreign talent helped make Singapore rich. Its those in the finance industry that came to bring the wealth management standards closer to Geneva that made an impact on rental yields. The Swiss, the Londoners, the New Yorkers, the Luxembourgers, they are the ones.

Most important of all, it's the Government's policy to model after Geneva that made Singaporeans rich. Singapore has been trying that model for many years since the 90s without success but once the Chinese became thunderously rich, Singapore became the natural Geneva for the Chinese. That's how Singapore became rich. Not because of hdb-chasing no brand foreigners. Those chasing hdb should just pack and go and let WDA do its job of tackling the structural unemployment issue Singaporeans are facing.

Thumbs up for your current government. This place is functioning better and standards of services are getting closer to those in London and Geneva although the weather here is a deterrent. But I guess the safety of my money is more important than the discomforting weather.

can u explain what standard of service ? are you referring to ?

economist
28-08-13, 23:40
Note that, when PRs are buying resale HDB flats, they are NOT buying subsidized flats, they are paying money to let our dear Singaporean owners to exit with a handsome profit from the flat they bought many years ago with cheap pricing and cash subsidies.

HDB resale flats are cheaper than surrounding condos, it is not because they are subsidized, it is because they are with less lease, worse conditions, and more restrictions. And the PRs who bought the HDB resale flats will continue face such restrictions. Therefore, these PRs are not subsidized in anyway. Let me repeat, they are helping those who were subsidized before to exit. Ok, i shall not use the word "helping", as it is just willing buy and sell.

kane
28-08-13, 23:40
I like your polite tone of replying, I would also be happy if Singapore can achieve what Swiss can, and I reckon you maybe one of the outstanding Singaporeans, but you might be overestimating the quality of average Singaporeans, and underestimating the dependence on foreign talents. As I said before, I did not say Singaporeans cannot fit some of the positions I mentioned (there are many more types of such positions), I said "few" can, yes, there are always some outstanding Singaporeans, but still, most of the positions can only be filled by PRs, foreigners.

there are a lot of hungry people out there waiting to excel, just waiting for their opportunity to take on that higher role. if you don't groom them, they will never be ready liao.

gemstone
28-08-13, 23:43
errr...i am talking about resale, and not new HDB.

It affects the resale flats of cos,... a chain action, don't you see?

proud owner
28-08-13, 23:48
our dearest Horse faced Ho Sun .... spent some USD 20xxx a mth on rental in Hollywood ...

10 mio to promote ONE single album ( or was it a single track?)

hey ... that's Foreign talent (with $$$$ ) that every country wants...

gemstone
28-08-13, 23:53
Check this out... Your theory is not true...
http://www.mom.gov.sg/pass-navigator/long-term-visit/Pages/i-am-married-to-a-singaporean-singapore-or-my-parent-is-a-singaporean-singapore-pr.aspx
I see Teddy's arguement sound. Do you know what is the income ceiling to purchase a hdb? If those foreigners who come here working with income not exceeding the limit, say $12k per month, and they being a PR make them eligible to purchase a resale flat. Who are they competing and frying up prices? There are even some I heard they bought with all cash, no need loan. :cheers1:I'm going to hear some people say good mah, buy with cash, 'help' the poor sg owner exit... this is the issue here. These are foreigners buying the '' goodwill of subsidy'', therefore enjoying the subsidy and living in hdb, cheaper and conditions better than many pc. and those foolish sg owners who sold their valuable flats,....

Xu Xiao Xia
28-08-13, 23:56
can u explain what standard of service ? are you referring to ?

I was referring to Private Banking.

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:01
I see Teddy's arguement sound. Do you know what is the income ceiling to purchase a hdb? If those foreigners who come here working with income not exceeding the limit, say $12k per month, and they being a PR make them eligible to purchase a resale flat. Who are they competing and frying up prices? There are even some I heard they bought with all cash, no need loan. :cheers1:

Where does it say to be PR need to earn 12k?????
Look at item c. What does it say????

What is the salary???

Nurses can be PR or not????

I posted link for you to see and u didn't see :doh:

Do u know how much to be PR in Aus????

:doh:

C&K
29-08-13, 00:03
All companies are here to make money period. They want staffs to contribute immediately. It is like instant coffee.
That is why many have no chance to be groomed as it cost the companies money. Time is money in this competitive market.

Our education system is just like a production factory, churning out the same products in mass without knowing the market needs as time past. Without thinking out of the box to catch up and be ahead of the market, the factory can only lower the product selling price till it has to finally outsource the product to be made somewhere cheaper.
There is some serious changes needed or the factory will go bust one day and the employees suffers most because of this lack of foresight.

there are a lot of hungry people out there waiting to excel, just waiting for their opportunity to take on that higher role. if you don't groom them, they will never be ready liao.

kane
29-08-13, 00:04
Note that, when PRs are buying resale HDB flats, they are NOT buying subsidized flats, they are paying money to let our dear Singaporean owners to exit with a handsome profit from the flat they bought many years ago with cheap pricing and cash subsidies.

i don't think such an approach is sustainable over the long term.

some cooling off of HDB prices will benefit the many young couples who will tie the knot in the coming years.

selling the hdb is one but not the only way to upgrade, so it will force these people to be more resourceful in finding their path to upgrade.

can't buy then just rent. plenty of spanking new apartments to live in. after finish contract, find another just TOP project to live in. how wonderful, perpetually being the first live-in residents of multiple new projects that just went TOP.

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:07
Where does it say to be PR need to earn 12k?????
Look at item c. What does it say????

What is the salary???

Nurses can be PR or not????

I posted link for you to see and u didn't see :doh:

Do u know how much to be PR in Aus????

:doh:

Thank you for displaying your ability to analyse in linear fashion! we are talking about PR ownership of hdb, dude. ... you just make my day !:im-so-happy:

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:08
I see Teddy's arguement sound. Do you know what is the income ceiling to purchase a hdb? If those foreigners who come here working with income not exceeding the limit, say $12k per month, and they being a PR make them eligible to purchase a resale flat. Who are they competing and frying up prices? There are even some I heard they bought with all cash, no need loan. :cheers1:I'm going to hear some people say good mah, buy with cash, 'help' the poor sg owner exit... this is the issue here. These are foreigners buying the '' goodwill of subsidy'', therefore enjoying the subsidy and living in hdb, cheaper and conditions better than many pc. and those foolish sg owners who sold their valuable flats,....

Btw, what is the income ceiling for buying a resale flat????

Maybe u tell me....

newbie11
29-08-13, 00:09

That's unfortunately largely due to the system. We all have a stake and part to play. So hope we as parents can impart the right values.

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:10
Thank you for displaying your ability to analyse in linear fashion! we are talking about PR ownership of hdb, dude. ... you just make my day !:im-so-happy:

What has salary got to do with owning a hdb???:doh: :doh: :doh:

kane
29-08-13, 00:12
All companies are here to make money period. They want staffs to contribute immediately. It is like instant coffee.
That is why many have no chance to be groomed as it cost the companies money. Time is money in this competitive market.

one practical way to save cost whilst grooming the successor. you make the guy/girl double hat 2 roles, the current and potentially the future role. the hunger and talent will show if the candidate embraces and excels in both roles.

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:13

Income ceiling owning a hdb, you don't know huh? wait... I just checked, it's $15k per month now.

proud owner
29-08-13, 00:13

bro

I think your question should read :

what has salary to do with owning a RESALE HDB ?

kane
29-08-13, 00:14
Btw, what is the income ceiling for buying a resale flat????

Maybe u tell me....

no income ceiling to buy resale right? or did i remember wrongly.

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:18
Income ceiling owning a hdb, you don't know huh? wait... I just checked, it's $15k per month now.

Brudder, are u in the same page with all of us... PRs cannot buy resale hdb within 3 years from getting their pr status...

Note : RESALE

resale hdb has no ceiling limit....

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatEligibilitytobuy

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:21
no income ceiling to buy resale right? or did i remember wrongly.

I meant to reply this to chestnut

There is no income ceiling unless you are applying for a CPF Housing Grant or an HDB Loan.

So rich pr can fry up prices, enjoying the '' goodwill subsidy''. next time they exit from our country, may make some money out of the goodwill lor.

and if these foreigners are rich, they just go and buy pc. why they buy hdb?cos they know the goodwill they can make money out of it. ...all the silly ministers open the cash vaults to thiefs, still so happy... silly boys and girls...lol

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:24
bro

I think your question should read :

what has salary to do with owning a RESALE HDB ?

Bro, this topic is on hdb resale leh...

New rule
Singapore permanent resident (SPR) households with no Singapore citizen owner will have to wait three years from the date of obtaining SPR status before they can buy a resale HDB flat -

thomastansb
29-08-13, 00:26
Are you stupid or what? How many times must I say there is NO subsidy for resale flat. If they want to make money, they will make more money in private than in HDB.

There is no income ceiling unless you are applying for a CPF Housing Grant or an HDB Loan.

So rich pr can fry up prices, enjoying the '' goodwill subsidy''. next time they exit from our country, may make some money out of the goodwill lor.

Xu Xiao Xia
29-08-13, 00:26

I have seen many a foreign mid level manager from a 3rd country hiding inside their cubicles/rooms surfing internet pretending to work and lowering the blinds to read newspaper while sitting on top of local seasoned NUS and NTU graduates who are trapped beneath. By 3rd country, I meant those whose nationalities are not of the country that the employer company is from.

The worst are these 3rd country middle manager foreign talent. They can be from anywhere: usually the non-MNC producing nations, mainly from Hong Kong for accounting and finance positions, from Philippines and India for IT positions. And then there are the Aussies - their MNCs are all related to natural resources and Singapore has no natural resources. So why are they taking up mid level jobs in banks unless they have had international experience? They are not good enough to go up to report directly to the CEO and yet they get to stay in Singapore and block the aspirations of Singaporeans. Singapore should set a time limit for PRs to achieve certain milestones in their career or they have to pack up. Same like in your Army. I understand if certain rank is not attained, you retire early. That should be it.

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:29
I meant to reply this to chestnut

and if these foreigners are rich, they just go and buy pc. why they buy hdb?cos they know the goodwill they can make money out of it. ...all the silly ministers open the cash vaults to thiefs, still so happy... silly boys and girls...lol

What grant are u talking about????

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:31
Are you stupid or what? How many times must I say there is NO subsidy for resale flat. If they want to make money, they will make more money in private than in HDB.

He really does not know resale from bto lar....

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:32

are you mentally challenged or lacking in financial education? don't you see there is difference between subsidy and grant?

do yourself a favour dude, go and read all the words from khaw... there is one recent article he is talking about hdb making huge losses, and the subsidy hdb make. This is the goodwill a finance people are talking about.

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:34
What grant are u talking about????

go and read hdb resale eligibility yourself lah.

star
29-08-13, 00:37
The one that benefit most is young Singaporeans. Buy bto at subsidised price and enjoy huge price appreciation. PR should be allowed to buy resale flat. So young couple after 5yrs MOP can sell to them at high price and upgrade to EC. The old can downgrade or sell off to buy a smaller hdb.
Who enjoy the most price appreciate? Singaporean or PR? Remember PR buy at high price and cannot rent out.
This 3 years ban PR from buying HDB is good but we cannot ban them off from buying resale.

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:37
go and read hdb resale eligibility yourself lah.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatCPFGrantFamily

Must have 1 citizen...

Can u send me your link??? Maybe yours different....

Hahahahaha

kane
29-08-13, 00:41
they can still buy, it's only a 3 year wait, many other options in the interim, and time passes very quickly anyway.

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:43
The one that benefit most is young Singaporeans. Buy bto at subsidised price and enjoy huge price appreciation. PR should be allowed to buy resale flat. So young couple after 5yrs MOP can sell to them at high price and upgrade to EC. The old can downgrade or sell off to buy a smaller hdb.
Who enjoy the most price appreciate? Singaporean or PR? Remember PR buy at high price and cannot rent out.
This 3 years ban PR from buying HDB is good but we cannot ban them off from buying resale.

PR gets to enjoy cheap accomodation costs as the citizen. and becos they are buying desperately, they are chasing up the prices which therefore push up valuation prices.... this would in turn affect the new bto and ec lah.

astroboy8681
29-08-13, 00:44
Hahaha I really feel sad for gemstone

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:46

Why???? Serious question...

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:46
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyResaleFlatCPFGrantFamily

Must have 1 citizen...

Can u send me your link??? Maybe yours different....

Hahahahaha

don want!lol... I figure out that your interpretation and analysis are inevitable different from others.... so don't force, just move along la

chestnut
29-08-13, 00:48
don want!lol... I figure out that your interpretation and analysis are inevitable different from others.... so don't force, just move along la

Ok... So there are grants given to PRs who buy resale hdb according to you....

:cheers4: :cheers4:

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:48

Thank you for catching some karmic burden upon yourself.

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:49
Ok... So there are grants given to PRs who buy resale hdb according to you....

:cheers4: :cheers4:

I never say that.

thomastansb
29-08-13, 00:51
Ya lor. Subsidy for first time buyers (Singaporeans).

Singaporeans buy 250k BTO (subsidised), sell 500k to PR (no more subsidy).

I am in property market since 1997 btw. Go read up more before you talk. If not, try listening and gain some knowledge. Because you look so stupid arguing the same thing over and over again and refusing to accept wisdom from so many experienced people here.

Good night. :sleep:

are you mentally challenged or lacking in financial education? don't you see there is difference between subsidy and grant?

do yourself a favour dude, go and read all the words from khaw... there is one recent article he is talking about hdb making huge losses, and the subsidy hdb make. This is the goodwill a finance people are talking about.

star
29-08-13, 00:53

Another thing to add on is PR unable to loan from HDB at 2.6%. The only way is bank loan which is subjected to risk of interest rate raise.

gemstone
29-08-13, 00:56
Ya lor. Subsidy for first time buyers (Singaporeans).

Singaporeans buy 250k BTO (subsidised), sell 500k to PR (no more subsidy).

I am in property market since 1997 btw. Go read up more before you talk. If not, try listening and gain some knowledge. Because you look so stupid arguing the same thing over and over again and refusing to accept wisdom from so many experienced people here.

Good night. :sleep:

If you are in property market since 1997 and haven't know what is a goodwill, you should go and polish your knowledge.. before you go around shouting many times how experienced you are, calling others stupid.

economist
29-08-13, 01:05
gemstar, I think Chestnut, Thomas, star are right.

Speaking of "subsidy", or "goodwill", I re-post my previous post here:

HDB resale flats are cheaper than surrounding condos, it is not because they are subsidized, it is because they are with less lease, worse conditions, and more restrictions. And the PRs who bought the HDB resale flats will continue face such restrictions. Therefore, these PRs are not subsidized in anyway. Let me repeat, they are helping those who were subsidized before to exit. Ok, i shall not use the word "helping", as it is just willing buy and sell.

gemstone
29-08-13, 01:19

Suddenly, I see where you are coming from. Let's tell all the foreigners to buy the condos because they are better in anyway than hdb. and it should be... why? because condo more expensive becos conditions much better, so buy that, go and live in there.... otherwise beware loan sharks come knock on their hdb doors, scaring their children!

jslee78
29-08-13, 06:52

This is one of the way spore government shares the fruits of its economic success with its citizen. i:e asset (HDB) enhancement. PM Lee said this clearly in his national rally. It is an assurance that the price of HDB, together with PC, will be enhanced by the largest landlord over times. Allowing first time HDB owners to sell their flats at market price to PR is an important part of the asset enhancement equation.

However, HDB resale price cannot be seen to be out of the reach of those who want to upgrade and downgrade, its price shall therefore be moderated by policy to ensure affordability. I see this as a decisive move in the direction of promoting inclusive policy.

With more comprehensive control over HDB and HDB resale price, where does this lead to? Will this lead to lesser control of PC Market? Allowing the price of luxurious PC to move freely according to market forces?

henryhk
29-08-13, 06:58
Whatever the PR subsidized to buy hdb or not, the facts new PRs will need to rent or buy pte condo.....we should cheer, and I will increase the rental of the 3 units by 10% , equivalent to the assuming estimates drop in resale hdb price, the PRs will have to pay to live here, our country....

Chip
29-08-13, 10:52
Scenario 1 : Single Citizen under 35 yrs old

Want a house of his own, but totally BAN from buying (Not even Resale HDB).

Scenario 2 : Newly or going-to be married couple (Majority of citizens go down this route)

Want a house of their own to start family. Applied for BTO, got to wait 3-4 yrs for completion before being able to move into the house.

Continues to stay with parents. Living in a bedroom in their parent's house.

Scenario 3 : Newly minted PR

Want a house of their own after getting PR. Wait for 3 years, then buy a HDB Resale and move in immediately. In the meantime, continues to rent HDB/Room.

My Take : What's the big deal with PR not being able to buy a Resale HDB immediately after getting their PR? Even citizens have to wait 3-4 years for their BTO. Newly minted PRs can just continue to rent a house/room while waiting for the 3 yrs period.

These people only get their PR AFTER coming to SG and working for some time. They don't get their PR first in their home country then come over to SG to work. So they would already be living somewhere in SG before they get their PR (be it room or whole unit HDB rental).

If we can make our own citizens wait 3-4 yrs for BTO, I don't see why we cannot make newly minted PR wait 3 yrs before buying a home of their own.

And why are you guys talking like PRs are totally banned from buying HDB ??? Govt is only restricting them buying for the first 3 yrs. It's not a total ban.

thomastansb
29-08-13, 11:06
Sound okay to me. But some blur cock here insist HDB resale is subsidised with citizen money - which is bullshit. Sound like those hardcore opposition in denial mode who refuse to see the truth.

Scenario 1 : Single Citizen under 35 yrs old

Want a house of his own, but totally BAN from buying (Not even Resale HDB).

Scenario 2 : Newly or going-to be married couple (Majority of citizens go down this route)

Want a house of their own to start family. Applied for BTO, got to wait 3-4 yrs for completion before being able to move into the house.

Continues to stay with parents. Living in a bedroom in their parent's house.

Want a house of their own after getting PR. Wait for 3 years, then buy a HDB Resale and move in immediately. In the meantime, continues to rent HDB/Room.

My Take : What's the big deal with PR not being able to buy a Resale HDB immediately after getting their PR? Even citizens have to wait 3-4 years for their BTO. Newly minted PRs can just continue to rent a house/room while waiting for the 3 yrs period.

These people only get their PR AFTER coming to SG and working for some time. They don't get their PR first in their home country then come over to SG to work. So they would already be living somewhere in SG before they get their PR (be it room or whole unit HDB rental).

If we can make our own citizens wait 3-4 yrs for BTO, I don't see why we cannot make newly minted PR wait 3 yrs before buying a home of their own.

And why are you guys talking like PRs are totally banned from buying HDB ??? Govt is only restricting them buying for the first 3 yrs. It's not a total ban.

august
29-08-13, 11:21
Sound okay to me. But some blur cock here insist HDB resale is subsidised with citizen money - which is bullshit. Sound like those hardcore opposition in denial mode who refuse to see the truth.

If u look at the thread title u will see who is the blur cock and bullshit.

star
29-08-13, 12:05
I totally agree with u. "Hardcore opposition in denial mode"

Violinbite
29-08-13, 13:56
Whatever the PR subsidized to buy hdb or not, the facts new PRs will need to rent or buy pte condo.....we should cheer, and I will increase the rental of the 3 units by 10% , equivalent to the assuming estimates drop in resale hdb price, the PRs will have to pay to live here, our country....

I think so as well. This measure will only hurt new PRs for a season of 3 years, even they rent at $2500/mth a flat for 3 years is taking them $90k to wait for a right to buy a resale flat later. It will also give them a chance of cooling period to consider if they want to become full citizen later, rather than regret paying ABSD for a condo purchase in a haste as PR. Earlier on, some complained PR buying flat and rent while absent, thus this policy is good for majority, the less well to do will have more opportunity for rentals as well. It is also hidden goodness that those just had their BTOs now, who decide to upgrade after 5 years, their flat can still hold some value if they decide to sell later where there is a future market. Can't complain too much, we are not the govt. and really as individual to work a perfect policy to please everyone is impossible. There are around 70% Singaporean and less than 30% PRs. Since some CMs had hurt each individual (investors) in some area, just make do whatever good for yourself under the current policy, can't be 'hero' for everyone.:-)

gemstone
29-08-13, 14:00

Liked! Let's call for ban of foreigner ownership for hdb. They can come and buy pte if they are wealthy enough, in view that our housing is one of the most expensive in the world.

Looks like gov is aware of locals exiting their hdb with cash enough to migrate! and if the gov continue to favour foreigners with our public housing... there are plenty of 'talented' locals with wealth looking to move their assets and live in other countries for good. Money can make the world go round! :im-so-happy:

economist
29-08-13, 14:27

Put yourself in PRs' shoes, don't you find PR status less attractive? So, another consequence is to leave Singapore for other cities; and those holding EP will not apply PRs and leave Singapore earlier too.

And then what happens to our rental income?

gemstone
29-08-13, 14:50
Put yourself in PRs' shoes, don't you find PR status less attractive? So, another consequence is to leave Singapore for other cities; and those holding EP will not apply PRs and leave Singapore earlier too.

when PR can buy, why do they have to rent from us?

economist
29-08-13, 14:54
when PR can buy, why do they have to rent from us?

They don't, if they buy, they support the prices; if they rent, they support rental;
As a landlord, it would be good if:
1. Rental holding up
2. Price holding up

But if they leave in droves, either price or rental or both will suffer.

All of you are assuming Singapore remains attractive. Fine, it is attractive now, but let me tell you, when one day Singapore becomes less attractive, this policy (new PRs cannot buy resale HDB in three years) will further turn away PRs and PRs-to-be, then either price or rental will suffer. You just need to turn back the clock for 8 years to understand it.

I don't care about who is right or wrong in the discussions, I complain because i'm worried about either price or rental in the longer term.

wirehtc
29-08-13, 14:57

Should PR status be so easily obtained in the first place like a few years ago?

gemstone
29-08-13, 15:04
They don't, if they buy, they support the prices; if they rent, they support rental;
As a landlord, it would be good if:
1. Rental holding up
2. Price holding up

But if they leave in droves, either price or rental or both will suffer.

All of you are assuming Singapore remains attractive. Fine, it is attractive now, but let me tell you, when one day Singapore becomes less attractive, this policy (new PRs cannot buy resale HDB in three years) will further turn away PRs and PRs-to-be, then either price or rental will suffer. You just need to turn back the clock for 8 years to understand it.

I don't care about who is right or wrong in the discussions, I complain because i'm worried about either price or rental in the longer term.

Don't be selfish la... have to think of those many many younger generations to come after us mah,.... are you going to sacrifice so many of them to become debt slaves? They are paying so so much more than our time.Just looking back the past 8 years, how many are destined debt slaves for life already?

economist
29-08-13, 15:07
Don't be selfish la... have to think of those many many younger generations to come after us mah,.... are you going to sacrifice so many of them to become debt slaves? They are paying so so much more than our time.Just looking back the past 8 years, how many are destined debt slaves for life already?

haha, not selfish, i'm fine with some price corrections.

chanbi
29-08-13, 15:10

I seriously doubt u are a economist! If yes, i will be real disappointed. More like a new PR.. Honestly PR that need to buy resale HDB are mostly just workers that we want to bring in to fill up our reducing workforce.. We should be more concern with how they feel vs how the frustrated Singaporeans feel? :doh:

economist
29-08-13, 15:18
I seriously doubt u are a economist! If yes, i will be real disappointed. More like a new PR.. Honestly PR that need to buy resale HDB are mostly just workers that we want to bring in to fill up our reducing workforce.. We should be more concern with how they feel vs how the frustrated Singaporeans feel? :doh:

haha, whatever you say...

Chip
29-08-13, 15:24

If a person decides not to come to SG to settle down or work just because he/she has to wait 3 years to buy a house, then I think we will be better off without him/her.

If we blindly take in a large numbers of fair weather PRs who have no qualms about packing their bags and moving out of SG when the economy turns bad, then we will be in one hell of a big problem.

Economic Cycles come and go. During good times, many people will flock here and apply for PR. This creates a big demand for goods/services/housings.

So rentals and prices of flats (be it HDB or Condo) go up. When the economic downturn comes, these fair weather folks will pack their bags and go back home. Demand will drop drastically. Rentals and prices of flats will drop big time. We'll end up in a situation where prices of flats and rentals will fluctuates wildly during the turns of the economic cycles.

I think what everyone (investors, home-stayers, govt) wants is to have a stable gradual increase in home prices over time. Not the wild +50% now and then crashed to -60% in the next few years, then back to +60% again after another few years.

Please note again, the ban is just for the first 3 years. Its not a permanant ban. To give up on SG just because he/she can't buy a HDB flat for the first 3 years tells alot about the quality of the person. A real talent will be able to figure out that he/she is here in SG not for the HDB flat. It's for the job/career opportunies, safety and whatever other benefits that SG can offer. Tell me which PR comes to SG just because they get tot buy a HDB here.

economist
29-08-13, 15:27
Talking about frustration -- although i'm fine with some corrections, but I will be frustrated if price corrects more than 20%, or if it takes me more than 3 months to find a tenant. How about some care here?

economist
29-08-13, 15:42
If a person decides not to come to SG to settle down or work just because he/she has to wait 3 years to buy a house, then I think we will be better off without him/her.

If we blindly take in a large numbers of fair weather PRs who have no qualms about packing their bags and moving out of SG when the economy turns bad, then we will be in one hell of a big problem.

Economic Cycles come and go. During good times, many people will flock here and apply for PR. This creates a big demand for goods/services/housings.

So rentals and prices of flats (be it HDB or Condo) go up. When the economic downturn comes, these fair weather folks will pack their bags and go back home. Demand will drop drastically. Rentals and prices of flats will drop big time. We'll end up in a situation where prices of flats and rentals will fluctuates wildly during the turns of the economic cycles.

I think what everyone (investors, home-stayers, govt) wants is to have a stable gradual increase in home prices over time. Not the wild +50% now and then crashed to -60% in the next few years, then back to +60% again after another few years.

Please note again, the ban is just for the first 3 years. Its not a permanant ban. To give up on SG just because he/she can't buy a HDB flat for the first 3 years tells alot about the quality of the person. A real talent will be able to figure out that he/she is here in SG not for the HDB flat. It's for the job/career opportunies, safety and whatever other benefits that SG can offer. Tell me which PR comes to SG just because they get tot buy a HDB here.

Thank you for spending your 2nd post on this topic, and a long one, but i beg to differ. Real talents need a home too, and home is certainly one of the considerations when they choose whether to leave Singapore or stay.

merlion
29-08-13, 21:53

PRs can also buy BTO flats as long as one of them ie husband or wife is a Singaporean. Not sure rules changed alrdy.

jwong71
29-08-13, 22:04

And newly weds won't even think of having baby/ babies to see them saddle with debts, or unable to afford.

Their kids" problem will be their problem

chanbi
30-08-13, 11:54
Talking about frustration -- although i'm fine with some corrections, but I will be frustrated if price corrects more than 20%, or if it takes me more than 3 months to find a tenant. How about some care here?

Wow! Risk free investment? Economist? No need to look at the basic economics theory of Demand vs Supply?

economist
30-08-13, 16:47
Wow! Risk free investment? Economist? No need to look at the basic economics theory of Demand vs Supply?

I was just making a sarcastic comment, u can't see?

minority
01-09-13, 19:30
And newly weds won't even think of having baby/ babies to see them saddle with debts, or unable to afford.

Their kids" problem will be their problem

With so much subsidy wat saddle with debt? It more of the couple inability to plan properly n mostly the young putting lifestyle infront of spending prudence.

minority
01-09-13, 19:38
Should PR status be so easily obtained in the first place like a few years ago?

YES if meet citeria.

Arcachon
01-09-13, 21:56
There were 51,000 Housing Board flats fully owned by permanent residents as of end June, representing 6 per cent of all HDB flats, said Mr Khaw in a written parliamentary reply this month.

This year, 130 flats were sold by PRs within three years of their purchase, while 320 were sold within four years of purchase, and 490 within five years

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/new-3-year-waiting-period-permanent-residents-buy-resale-flats-2013082

Anyone care to share what do they read from the message above?

What I read from the message are
1. PR is cashing out.
2. They do not need resale HDB.
3. They have no intention to convert to SC.
4. Buying is better than renting.

The gov is monitoring everything, they have all the data. This might be what they are thinking.

1. We welcome you and hope you become SC but instead you chose to cash out.
2. HDB is now at all time high, it time to stop the PR from cashing out.

thomastansb
02-09-13, 10:13
490/51000 = < 1%.

So more than 99% is holding to their HDB flat. My comments below:-

1. PR is cashing out - No. More than 99% is holding on.
2. They do not need resale HDB - Definitely false for those 51,000 PRs.
3. They have no intention to convert to SC - Nothing is mentioned about SC so impossible to tell
4. Buying is better than renting - Unable to tell.

I feel the 3 years cooling period is politically motivated move. Now is 2013. 3 years later will be election. If I stop most cash rich PR to buy for the next 3 years, that will remove a lot of demand and resale price might stop going up or even go down.

Is it good for people without flats - Not really. Most people buy BTO.
Is it good for people with flats like our parents - Not really but this will shut them up because no more expensive flats. You want lower HDB price, you have it :D

There were 51,000 Housing Board flats fully owned by permanent residents as of end June, representing 6 per cent of all HDB flats, said Mr Khaw in a written parliamentary reply this month.

This year, 130 flats were sold by PRs within three years of their purchase, while 320 were sold within four years of purchase, and 490 within five years

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/new-3-year-waiting-period-permanent-residents-buy-resale-flats-2013082

1. PR is cashing out.

The gov is monitoring everything, they have all the data. This might be what they are thinking.

economist
02-09-13, 10:26

It is a globally competitive world, everyone come and go, just as Singaporeans doing business elsewhere.

Talking about stopping PR from cashing out as if they are benefiting from Singapore, this is not right, I thought someone in the forum has already highlighted that PRs in Singapore have been much worse off. Take PRCs as example, had they purchased any properties in any major cities in China, the value has quadrupled in the last 8 years, their comrades must be laughing at them for their stupid act of buying HDB resale in a tiny city like Singapore and cashing out for peanuts.

You may then ask, fine, why do they need to come to Singapore? the answer is then in the first paragraph above.

cheerful
02-09-13, 10:36
It is a globally competitive world, everyone come and go, just as Singaporeans doing business elsewhere.

Talking about stopping PR from cashing out as if they are benefiting from Singapore, this is not right, I thought someone in the forum has already highlighted that PRs in Singapore have been much worse off. Take PRCs as example, had they purchased any properties in any major cities in China, the value has quadrupled in the last 8 years, their comrades must be laughing at them for their stupid act of buying HDB resale in a tiny city like Singapore and cashing out for peanuts.

You may then ask, fine, why do they need to come to Singapore? the answer is then in the first paragraph above.

Indeed in this globally competitive world, people free to come & go. Likewise, different countries' govts will do things differently. But most will one way or another try to have some form of 'protectionism'. Look at neighbouring countries where a certain percent of Pte has to be owned by locals, & look at Aussie properties which have to be sold back to its citizens (if u got one of those), etc. etc.

minority
02-09-13, 10:49

1. PR is cashing out.

490 out of 51K is hardly even 1% . this is nothing just normal movement. how abt some stats on singaporean selling then?

minority
02-09-13, 11:08

wat u mean selfish leh? new generation buy from goverment at subsidized rate. today 1K pm get u a 2bedder. an and 4 bed room or 5 bed room is easily affordable base on todays income scale. If people die die want to buy resale who can stop them.? thats is personal prudence issue.

The problem is people are greedy. want to pay wat $10K like in 1970s price? common. then I would want to tell the new generation. Dont be greedy leh.

minority
02-09-13, 11:12
PRs can also buy BTO flats as long as one of them ie husband or wife is a Singaporean. Not sure rules changed alrdy.

either party is also singaporean so its fair.

thomastansb
02-09-13, 11:18
And look at their economy and the state of their country. Sure, you can implement protectionism policies. In the end, who suffer? Neighboring countries - who? I am sure most wanted to be in Singapore than in their own country.

Indeed in this globally competitive world, people free to come & go. Likewise, different countries' govts will do things differently. But most will one way or another try to have some form of 'protectionism'. Look at neighbouring countries where a certain percent of Pte has to be owned by locals, & look at Aussie properties which have to be sold back to its citizens (if u got one of those), etc. etc.

thomastansb
02-09-13, 11:25
When many flats hit the market, value go down, then Singaporeans would have nothing to say. I don't really care since my aim is to buy a 3 bedroom without 5 years MOP and rent it out. The lower the better. I mean since many people don't understand the difference between BTO prices and resale prices, so be it. They only complain 1M dollars HDB - which is actually beneficial to most Singaporeans. By 2016/17, the first batch of HDB will hit the market. Then from 2017 to 2023, we have like 180,000 - 200,000 HDB flats reaching MOP? Correct me if I am wrong.

2009, they start building (2009 + 8 years = 2017). 3 years to build and 5 years MOP.

2009 - about 25k HDB?
2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 - about 100k to 120k?
2014 to 2015 - KBW said maintained at 50k? (2015 + 8 years = 2023)

So good news for us. I would be 40 years old by 2022. Just nice to find a high yield flat at a cheap price. In case I bankrupt, no one can take my HDB also. Sounds good for me and many people here. Too bad for those upgraders but HDB is a house, not an asset anyway.

wat u mean selfish leh? new generation buy from goverment at subsidized rate. today 1K pm get u a 2bedder. an and 4 bed room or 5 bed room is easily affordable base on todays income scale. If people die die want to buy resale who can stop them.? thats is personal prudence issue.

The problem is people are greedy. want to pay wat $10K like in 1970s price? common. then I would want to tell the new generation. Dont be greedy leh.

Arcachon
02-09-13, 13:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RrAPE7lzakw#t=140

Violinbite
03-09-13, 12:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RrAPE7lzakw#t=140

There are relative truths to my understanding in this video clip. In 1960s, one can say HDB as subsidised housing. But the problem, economic structure of govt or country changes, and many not so well to do remain and stay in the old minset of the 1960s. The older parents old mindset deepens their flawed thinking.
Everyone pays taxes and CPF year after year, but how often do ones flat got upgraded? The excess funds have to go somewhere for good? Otherwise how can govt even give interest to CPF accounts? - the fact is govt has surpluses, they invested, they never remain in the old mindset. Now in terms HDB, we dont get one for FREE, still need to pay what. Resale buyer pay even more. Did govt help then? Of course they did, collect our money, coordinate the cheapest possible developer and build it up. Got extra money to go, invest away. Dont have, nevermind, the investment returns enough to give out some special 'SENG SIONG' bonuses to help some poorer group to start up a family.
The poorer group who cant think ahead of their daily need being met first, certainly it is subsidized flats. But it is not one size fit it all. Think rationally.

Just this sentence can have many different views:- 'Better study well and get a degree, or else next time cannot find a job, and you ended up sweepimg the floor!'

Welcome all of you to share your view on this sentence means to you. You will get an idea what subsidise housing means in 1960s and now:-)

minority
03-09-13, 18:54

Force? just for a HDB ? lol they will go rent and then go else where lor. u see the HDB too up...

Condolauncher
16-10-15, 11:53
HDB flats were never meant to be treated as investments, it is public housing meant to put a roof over the heads of Singaporeans =)

Kelonguni
16-10-15, 12:07
HDB flats were never meant to be treated as investments, it is public housing meant to put a roof over the heads of Singaporeans =)

Yes, now it's almost fully realised. HDBs for housing has been delinked from private housing, as well as HDBs with investment value due to location.