PDA

View Full Version : Entrepreneurs urge govt to review foreign worker quota

reporter2
24-07-13, 18:42
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium/singapore/entrepreneurs-urge-govt-review-foreign-worker-quota-20130724

Published July 24, 2013

Entrepreneurs urge govt to review foreign worker quota

By malminderjit singh

ENTREPRENEURS here called for the government to review and ease its quota on foreign workers as the lack of available talent surfaced as a key concern for the start-up community in Singapore.

They see this as a key constraint to expanding their businesses here, a more pressing concern than the availability of government grants.

The big problem of course is the lack of talent as start-ups have to compete for the small pool of qualified Singaporeans to choose from, participants at the first dialogue session held by the Entrepreneurship Review Committee (EnRC) yesterday said.

"A lot of locals are attracted to MNCs (to work) as we are all taught since our schooldays that the MNCs will be the preferred employer. So, we are losing all the talent to bigger companies and because we are a start-up, we cannot afford to pay the sort of salaries the MNCs are paying," Jan Tan from Globehoppers Inc told The Business Times.

Ms Tan said that the next best alternative was for start-ups to look into bringing in foreigners to work in their companies. "However, with the kind of policies for the foreign worker levies and quota, it is making it difficult for the start-ups here to survive."

In some instances, particularly in the service sector, it is more frustrating for the start-ups, as the foreign candidates for the positions they are looking to hire are immensely qualified but have to be turned away, adding to the unavailability of talent.

"The issue that Singapore companies in service industries face is that Singaporeans do not want to work in our kind of industries. Sometimes, for fresh graduates, we offer them $3,000 (monthly) pay to join as a management trainee and be a store-manager, but they often reject because they either choose to join an MNC or an administrative job so the locals don't want to work in the service industry," said Wong Kai Jun, managing director of the Play Nation Group.

On the other hand, Ms Wong added, the quality of foreign applicants is very high. "We receive about 100 resumes every day out of which about 90 per cent are from foreigners and some of them have good qualifications, even first-class degree holders. So, we see the talent but we are not able to take them in."

She said that while there are business opportunities and money to be made in Singapore, but due to the current government regulations on the tightening of foreign manpower, businesses here cannot grow as there are not enough qualified people to work for them.

This constraint for start-ups to expand could also hurt the future of value-added jobs for Singaporeans, explained Dr Ong Peng Tsin, chairman of Infocomm Investments and a member of the EnRC.

Many of these start-ups involve high value-added work, he said, and since they have not been able to expand here due to this constraint on bringing in foreign expertise to work in their set-up, it also means that top local graduates in these fields have to venture abroad to find these jobs. As a result, Dr Ong added, many of Singapore's top computer science graduates have moved to the Silicon Valley to get jobs, which pay them as much as six-figure salaries, as there is no critical mass of such companies here for them to thrive in.

The problem may also lie with the way foreign manpower is measured in Singapore, said Finian Tan, chairman of Vickers Financial Group and also a member of the EnRC. "The way we measure the worth of our foreign talent is through salary - certain salary caps for different types of employment permits. But that doesn't work for start-ups as start-ups don't pay people (high) salaries, they pay people low salaries and ask you to believe in them and give you work-life balance, shares and options. How then do you measure all this and to see if the person qualifies, so that needs to be rethinked."

Moreover, Dr Tan added, what was most important now was for Singapore companies to internationalise, but the restriction on foreign hires may restrict these start-ups from doing so. "Just because we speak Chinese, it doesn't mean that we can go into China as we will need to know the culture, the way of doing business and their lifestyle. For this, we may need to hire someone from China and give him a share of the business."

Yesterday's EnRC dialogue session was held with 30 entrepreneurs from the start-up community. Teo Ser Luck, Minister of State for Trade and Industry and chairman of the Action Community for Entrepreneurship (ACE) which is spearheading the review effort, was also present at the session and was encouraged that the participants did not focus on getting more government grants but instead wanted assistance in helping them become more resourceful and create platform for opportunities for them. As such, he said that ACE will review how to better use its resources and issue grants, in a way that it does not hamper the development of entrepreneurs here if it becomes spoon-feeding them.

The next EnRC session will be held on Aug 13 with the venture capitalist community. Members of the public may email [email protected] to provide feedback for the review process.

CondoInterested
24-07-13, 22:49
It's another way of saying, "We are addicted to low wage workers, just like drug addicts addicted to drugs."

Anyway every or any business person really cares about is profit, high top line and low bottom line and big delta.

kane
24-07-13, 23:35
what is so special about these jobs that our thorough and extensive education system is not able to cater to.

i have friends whose start ups are tapping on the local pool and they aren't facing competition from MNCs that is pulling their employees. it's all about human resource management.

and if their start ups aren't creating jobs for residents (both local and the current foreign pool) already here, then perhaps they should reconsider starting their firm elsewhere.

mcmlxxvi
25-07-13, 09:06
i think the problem stems largely from the mindsets most HR have. they expect to get pandas with peanuts.

darkseed73
25-07-13, 14:09
It's another way of saying, "We are addicted to low wage workers, just like drug addicts addicted to drugs."

Anyway every or any business person really cares about is profit, high top line and low bottom line and big delta.

Where can I press the "Like" button?

I am going to repost this news on my fb

joelx
25-07-13, 14:17
I think it is fair for employer to recruit the best and most suitable candidates tht is available in the market. Some of the jobs/position face real issue of shortages. Etc, services industry, call center, customer service...As a start up, cost is the only things that the employer is in control.They cant charge premium towards their client. Even if the Co. 100% FT, the company still pay tax, the employee still pay tax, The FT still need to rent a place, eat, drink.....All these will translate into our GDP.. Isnt better than no economic activities at all??By the time Sg face real aging problem, we might still need to beg them to return and run the economy for us.

We are only solving today issue by stopping them in, but not future issue

kane
25-07-13, 17:42
yes, we have a very big pool of suitable candidates both local and foreign available here ready to be trained.

mcmlxxvi
25-07-13, 20:35
I have a wild idea to start a new job as call centre agent and document the whole journey in youtube channel lol

CondoInterested
25-07-13, 20:40
Where can I press the "Like" button?

I am going to repost this news on my fb
lol...

"LIKE" button, ask the admin.

What addicts really like are the low wage / new FT, those already high wage / senior FT need not apply.