PDA

View Full Version : Residential market poised on a knife-edge

reporter2
22-07-13, 13:09
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/money/story/residential-market-poised-knife-edge-20130722

CAI JIN

Residential market poised on a knife-edge

Record number of new homes nearing completion clouds outlook

Published on Jul 22, 2013

By Goh Eng Yeow Senior Correspondent

DEPENDING on which set of data you are looking at, you will get a very different picture of the effectiveness of government measures to rein in property prices.

Urban Redevelopment Authority figures show that an astounding 1,806 new private homes were sold last month.

This was a 23.8 per cent jump over May's 1,459 units, which was, in turn, a 5.4 per cent improvement over the 1,384 homes sold in April.

However, flash data from the Singapore Real Estate Exchange (SRX) showed that only 605 resale condos were sold last month, a 21 per cent drop from May's 762 and a 10 per cent drop below the April tally of 671.

Some will argue that the June new home sales data was a fluke, as demand had been bolstered by blockbuster sell-outs at projects such as the 738-unit J Gateway in Jurong East and the Jewel@ Buangkok condo with 616 homes.

But the half-yearly data shows a similar divergent trend.

There were 10,061 new private homes sold in the first half - a drop of 16 per cent over the corresponding period last year.

But resale volume for the first six months was down a striking 30 per cent to 3,954 units from 5,675 transactions a year earlier.

Judging from the data, it would be safe to infer that the Government's January cooling measures, including imposing a 7 per cent additional buyer's stamp duty on Singaporeans for buying a second property and 10 per cent for a third or subsequent property, have been effective in dampening demand for resale homes.

However, the curbs are having a smaller impact on the new home sales market, perhaps due to developers' aggressive tactics such as giving cash rebates on stamp duties.

That leads to the next question: Will the tougher rules on home loans announced at the end of last month have an impact on the new home sales market?

Essentially, the rules cap how much a property buyer can borrow by ensuring that his monthly repayments, combined with all other debt obligations, do not exceed 60 per cent of his gross monthly income.

To plug the loophole whereby some parents use their children's names to buy a second property, loan guarantors will also be considered as co-borrowers.

Daiwa Capital Markets analyst David Lum believes that linking the loan to the debt will remove some demand from the market.

"Anecdotally, some buyers (near retirement age) have circumvented the additional buyer's stamp duty and loan-to-valuation restrictions by buying their second and third homes in their children's names," he wrote in a recent note.

But Mr Colin Tan, research head of property consultancy Chesterton Suntec International, believes that many property buyers have sufficient spare cash to overcome whatever measures are thrown at them.

"Most of us think all existing buyers are stretching themselves to the hilt. Personally, I don't think so. Investors borrow to the hilt because it is silly not to do so. Likewise, they use their children's names because it is silly not to."

Certainly, there are plenty of people with spare cash to buy a property or two, even after tightening the rules on home loans.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore data shows that there is plenty of liquidity sloshing around here, with Singdollar deposits jumping to $534.3 billion in May from $487.9 billion a year earlier.

Many home buyers also find the progress payment scheme in buying a new flat attractive. To them, this is like getting a long-dated option to buy a stock which magnifies any gains they may make, if property prices go up.

However, one challenge the market faces is the record number of new homes that will be completed in the next two years.

Using a stock market analogy, this is equivalent to a large number of stock options expiring simultaneously - an event that can trigger wild swings in stock prices.

There are about 290,000 completed private housing units and executive condos in Singapore but analysts estimate that a further 100,000 units will be completed in the next four years.

This means that the supply of private housing units will jack up by one-third - a huge increase by any measure, even after taking into account the recent increase in population.

Macquarie Equities Research analyst Soong Tuck Yin wrote: "As most of these (private home) completions may affect buyers seeking tenants, there will be pressures on rental yields. If this happens, yield spreads will be narrowed and weaker holders may be tempted to sell."

Throw in a couple more uncertainties such as an interest rate hike and a hard landing in big economies such as China, and you will understand the headwinds facing the residential market.

That is why it does not take a rocket scientist to explain why property counters seem stuck in the basement, unloved and neglected, even though new home sales stay buoyant.

[email protected]

lionhill
22-07-13, 13:38
http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/money/story/residential-market-poised-knife-edge-20130722

Judging from the data, it would be safe to infer that the Government's January cooling measures, including imposing a 7 per cent additional buyer's stamp duty on Singaporeans for buying a second property and 10 per cent for a third or subsequent property, have been effective in dampening demand for resale homes.

However, the curbs are having a smaller impact on the new home sales market, perhaps due to developers' aggressive tactics such as giving cash rebates on stamp duties.

[email protected]

I would rather say, judge from the data, it would be safe to infer that the cooling measures has distorted the resale markets. Resale owners are asking for unreasonable prices, which leads to the low resale transactions and buyers have no choice but to go for the new launches.

who ever see the develpers' cash rebates instead of higher and higher price of psf?

Fiona2004
22-07-13, 14:10
I would rather say, judge from the data, it would be safe to infer that the cooling measures has distorted the resale markets. Resale owners are asking for unreasonable prices, which leads to the low resale transactions and buyers have no choice but to go for the new launches.

who ever see the develpers' cash rebates instead of higher and higher price of psf?

I totally agree with you on this.

ichigo55
22-07-13, 16:18
new development prices are definitely much more distorted compared to resale ... so is 1500psf for OCR reasonable compared to 1500psf for RCR?
I doubt there's a huge paradigm shift, but I would say the mass market is less discerning due to the demand pressure built up over the past years.

Arcachon
22-07-13, 16:54
Bought 2 Bedroom for SGD 535,000, rented for SGD 4900 a month, should the buyer sell or hold.

teddybear
22-07-13, 21:58
They are advocating you to sell them at $535,000! :rolleyes:
If they don't want to buy at this price, I lugi a bit can take over your "baby" at this price............... :p

Bought 2 Bedroom for SGD 535,000, rented for SGD 4900 a month, should the buyer sell or hold.

radha08
22-07-13, 22:58

buyer should stay in france and drink champagne:cheers1:

lionhill
23-07-13, 08:41
I do not want to buy, I do not have anything to sell either. I just noticed that for some PCs in D5, the asking prices have been increased about 15% from march to yerestday. There are also much more units on the ads too. I am not sure whether at such a asking price, these 99 LH projects can still move or not.

kane
23-07-13, 08:55
ever considered the 15% is cos the seller wants to factor in the cost of switching between properties given that absd is 13%?

lionhill
23-07-13, 09:04
ever considered the 15% is cos the seller wants to factor in the cost of switching between properties given that absd is 13%?
possible. But buyers also need to consider the buffer for that absd too.

kane
23-07-13, 09:14
hence resale volumes have fallen off the cliff. both sides are reasonable in their bid and offer. they all want to have that buffer.

phantom_opera
23-07-13, 09:20
Since the beginning of QE by Ben and PbOC, all boats will rise and sink together, the recent talk talk only release a bit of air from the bond superbubble

When GuangDong property price up 16% yoy in June (Shanghai/BJ all up > 10%) and record land prices everywhere .... u guys are discussing a possibility of a drop in property price in Singapore :doh:

In fact I would say all the CMs make Singapore properties very cheap relative to the dragon heads .. if not because of tight immigration control (to become SC or SPRs to buy HDBs) and ABSDs for SPRs/SCs/FTs ... our property price already 20-30% higher ... but further CMs will be out once OCR hit 1,800psf ... and this time they will probably outright ban purchase or 3rd property by SCs :scared-1:

taggy
23-07-13, 09:24
Since the beginning of QE by Ben and PbOC, all boats will rise and sink together, the recent talk talk only release a bit of air from the bond superbubble

When GuangDong property price up 16% yoy in June (Shanghai/BJ all up > 10%) and record land prices everywhere .... u guys are discussing a possibility of a drop in property price in Singapore :doh:
the other thread was fast and furious yesterday....
was eager to see you take part... :)

ysyap
23-07-13, 13:12
ever considered the 15% is cos the seller wants to factor in the cost of switching between properties given that absd is 13%?Have they also considered there'll be some clowns who'll then pay 13% + 13% = 26% absd if they buy their property? :scared-1:. Then again they will just have to wait a little longer for a suiter fit to come along... :cheers6:

Allthepies
23-07-13, 13:27

based on current 4% rental yield, the 2 bedroom is worth $1.47mil. Close to 1 mil profit if sell now. So should the buyer sell or hold ? :p:p

the question is whether u want to
(1) slowly collect rent and pay property tax for 20 years to get gross income of 1million
(2) realise 1mil profit immediately....

k00L
23-07-13, 22:52

CAI JIN

Residential market poised on a knife-edge

Using a stock market analogy, this is equivalent to a large number of stock options expiring simultaneously - an event that can trigger wild swings in stock prices.

I can understand why options expiry leads to wild swings due to delta-hedging by various option market-makers just like "knife-edge", but to use this analogy to describe the property market seems a little too far-fetched..

The author seems to say property market is fundamentally oversupplied, and on the downhill but definitely not in "wild swings" mode.

Sometimes really catch no ball when reading ST these days

狮子王
24-07-13, 17:12
based on current 4% rental yield, the 2 bedroom is worth $1.47mil. Close to 1 mil profit if sell now. So should the buyer sell or hold ? :p:p

the question is whether u want to
(1) slowly collect rent and pay property tax for 20 years to get gross income of 1million
(2) realise 1mil profit immediately....

My humble opinion is to slowly realise the profits. How so?

You can always maintain the unit a little after every tenancy expiration and continue to trend your rental above inflation :)

Good Luck .

Arcachon
24-07-13, 18:59
My humble opinion is to slowly realise the profits. How so?

You can always maintain the unit a little after every tenancy expiration and continue to trend your rental above inflation :)

Good Luck .

Agree. Why kill a golden goose when she is still laying golden egg.