PDA

View Full Version : Genting Singapore breaks ground on new hotel in Jurong

oops
11-07-13, 16:20
GENTING Singapore on Thursday broke ground on its new 550-room hotel in western Singapore, along Jurong Town Hall Road - PHOTO: GENTING SINGAPOREGENTING Singapore on Thursday broke ground on its new 550-room hotel in western Singapore, along Jurong Town Hall Road.Located at a 9,027 square metres site with a 99 year lease period, the hotel is slated to open in the first half of 2015 in a district earmarked by Singapore's Urban Redevelopment Authority as a new growth area with commercial, business and leisure facilities.The hotel is situated close to the International Business Park cluster of offices, as well as popular shopping malls such as JCube and Jem.Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay, Chairman of the Genting Group and Executive Chairman of Genting Singapore said, "With our hotel being the first to open in this growing precinct, we hope to create another unique hospitality product that will crank up the buzz meter in this already vibrant area to even higher levels. This will be a new landmark in the Jurong Lake District."

Regulators
11-07-13, 17:55
They can get ready to write off big losses liao. If I open a hotel , I will make sure it is far from hdb flats.

azeoprop
11-07-13, 18:16
If they get travel agents to bring their china and india tour groups to stay there at discounted rates, they can make money. :D

joelx
11-07-13, 18:24
They can get ready to write off big losses liao. If I open a hotel , I will make sure it is far from hdb flats.

Seems like you are smarter than Uncle Lim's Son. Why not you apply for the Genting grp CEO position, then you may salvage their potential losses.

Regulators
11-07-13, 19:04
Do tourists want to live in jurong n travel 1hr to get to marina bay n orchard rd, unless of course they came specially to visit jurong bird park n chinese garden :doh:
If they get travel agents to bring their china and india tour groups to stay there at discounted rates, they can make money. :D

babyt
11-07-13, 19:21
maybe prostitutes can move there to stand. :D

we have some hotels that are away from city..like

grand mercure roxy, changi village hotel

azeoprop
11-07-13, 19:44
Do tourists want to live in jurong n travel 1hr to get to marina bay n orchard rd, unless of course they came specially to visit jurong bird park n chinese garden :doh:

Free and easy tourists won't, but tour groups will as they have no choice to where they will be staying. Usually tour groups do Singapore with Malaysia as well.

E.g. arriving at changi airport in the morning, tour groups will board their tour bus and start the Singapore city tour the whole day. They will check in to this hotel in jurong in the evening. Next morning check out, visit bird park or zoo, then off to 2nd link or causeway for their malaysia portion of the tour such as malacca and kl. :rolleyes:

teddybear
11-07-13, 19:52
May be they are planning to develop JLD into the new red light district so that they can clear up Geylang as that piece of land is more prime? :rolleyes:

maybe prostitutes can move there to stand. :D

we have some hotels that are away from city..like

grand mercure roxy, changi village hotel

Ringo33
11-07-13, 19:53
Tan Sri lim has got good foresight and vision for jurong lake district. The seed they planted today is the first baby step towards what will eventually become a mega theme park in the lakeside district.

mkmm
11-07-13, 19:58
Same question asked, how changi village make $$$ har? so far away from city.

felicia_sg
11-07-13, 20:17
4 types of very profitable business which he already in 3: eat, drink, gamble, vice. The last one has highest profit margin... :beats-me-man:

Tan Sri lim has got good foresight and vision for jurong lake district. The seed they planted today is the first baby step towards what will eventually become a mega theme park in the lakeside district.

jacelynchia
11-07-13, 20:25
This Jurong Hotel, the rates must be very very reasonably priced and of some standard or else the plan might fail.

Some tourist may even stay at boutique hotel nearer to town compared to this unless there is other perks

Regulators
11-07-13, 20:26
Yes, China Mei Meis will have new hunting ground in jld :D

4 types of very profitable business which he already in 3: eat, drink, gamble, vice. The last one has highest profit margin... :beats-me-man:

dtrax
11-07-13, 20:36
Same question asked, how changi village make $$$ har? so far away from city.

All major cities have hotels near airport. This is especially useful for biz travellers who are just stopping by for just 1 night or tourist 1night stop over. i.e touch down changi airport and straight checkin to hotel at airport. Check-in, put down barang barang then start your day tour/biz conference. Then at night return back hotel and can straight checkout the next mornging and go to airport without rushing the traffic in the morning or peak hrs. I guess the reason why occupancy rates fares[50-60%] so much poorer in hotels near changi compared to av hotel occupancy in the industry[80%] is mainly because our country is so damn efficient and also relatively small land size with better traffic condition as compared to other countries

Regulators
11-07-13, 20:36
They can always go hourly rates if need be n have vip cards for regulars :D
This Jurong Hotel, the rates must be very very reasonably priced and of some standard or else the plan might fail.

Some tourist may even stay at boutique hotel nearer to town compared to this unless there is other perks

Allthepies
11-07-13, 20:45
I try very hard not to burst out laughing :D :D when I read there are forumers here who claimed they have better business acumen and foresight than even Genting Group chairman... :D :D

Even if you do, please be humble la...:cheers1: :cheers1:

Ha ha ha ha ha... So funny...

lajia
11-07-13, 20:51
please dont think that you are smart, they are smarter using shareholder money...JLD will happen with your JAW dropped! Dont write things off too early just because you have limited knowledge or you dont like the place. You might be too myopic. When it comes to investment, put emotion aside...:2cents:

They can always go hourly rates if need be n have vip cards for regulars :D

Ringo33
11-07-13, 21:07
May be they are planning to develop JLD into the new red light district so that they can clear up Geylang as that piece of land is more prime? :rolleyes:

Maybe you are just someone who likes to make negative remarks on neighbor who drives a bigger car than you.

ysyap
11-07-13, 21:13
Do tourists want to live in jurong n travel 1hr to get to marina bay n orchard rd, unless of course they came specially to visit jurong bird park n chinese garden :doh:My personal experience...

RWS has so little rooms available (not talking about big suites that caters to the richer tourists) that it is perpetually full if you don't book like 1 to 2 months ahead. This hotel at Jurong would then cater to those who can't get a room at RWS. Travel time is definitely shorter than coming from overseas.

As long as Jurong hotel is priced reasonably lower than MBS and RWS, it will still attract. Furthermore, Jurong will be developed into a self-contained entertainment arena so it should still appeal to tourists. Genting won't lose $$ de...

Regulators
11-07-13, 21:14
You heard of Tang Village in Jurong? Good business acumen back then??
I try very hard not to burst out laughing :D :D when I read there are forumers here who claimed they have better business acumen and foresight than even Genting Group chairman... :D :D

Even if you do, please be humble la...:cheers1: :cheers1:

Ha ha ha ha ha... So funny...

Ringo33
11-07-13, 21:24
Welcome to the future.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sites/businesstimes.com.sg/files/imagecache/filenamee/genting711e.jpg

Allthepies
11-07-13, 21:41
You heard of Tang Village in Jurong? Good business acumen back then??

By Genting ah?

Tat why I said even if u r very good, also be humble la... Give billionaire some face la...:cheers1: :cheers1:

Regulators
11-07-13, 21:48
Put urself into the shoes of a traveller who only has a few precious days in singapore, where would you live, town or jurong?
My personal experience...

RWS has so little rooms available (not talking about big suites that caters to the richer tourists) that it is perpetually full if you don't book like 1 to 2 months ahead. This hotel at Jurong would then cater to those who can't get a room at RWS. Travel time is definitely shorter than coming from overseas.

As long as Jurong hotel is priced reasonably lower than MBS and RWS, it will still attract. Furthermore, Jurong will be developed into a self-contained entertainment arena so it should still appeal to tourists. Genting won't lose $$ de...

xebay11
11-07-13, 22:20
Put urself into the shoes of a traveller who only has a few precious days in singapore, where would you live, town or jurong?

If I was an industrialist coming to meet my industrial partners, it would have to be Jurong, not all travellers are tourist, if you can't think out of the box in property, u won't make big bucks.

Ringo33
11-07-13, 22:24
My personal experience...

The same ministries that are responsible for the 2 IRs and other mega tourist attraction projects are working on JLD together with many other gov ministries. Only fools will bet against it

teddybear
11-07-13, 22:29
Only fools will buy into it at $1600 psf! :p

The same ministries that are responsible for the 2 IRs and other mega tourist attraction projects are working on JLD together with many other gov ministries. Only fools will bet against it

Ringo33
11-07-13, 22:35
Only fools will buy into it at $1600 psf! :p
$1600psf for a 500sqft unit is $800,000.
Based on rental of $3500 per month, it will generate 5.25%.

fool? perhaps not.

xebay11
11-07-13, 22:43
The whole JLD is engineered by the government to make money. Before all the idea of JLD was mooted, residential land prices in the West was one of the lowest in Singapore as people did not want to live near factories, so they had large tracts of land with low demand from the residential sector. So they got smart and said "Hey! Commercial and retail sectors won't care about pollution, let's build shopping centres and offices" Voila the concept of JLD, once JLD kicks off like Ringo says, naturally the Government now can sell residential land at overpriced rates....real clever. The Government has been playing this game for decades now. Bishan burial ground, cannot sell..... easy, just relocate RI there and build an MRT and suddenly the land becomes gold. Now they are putting the International Schools all over the most ulu areas they can find to turn the land into gold. Pioneer MRT area also, demand was so low there that the HDB flats could not be sold and were hoarded up, so they built a sports complex and MRT station there and demand just exploded.

Reisor
11-07-13, 22:46
$1600psf for a 500sqft unit is $800,000.
Based on rental of $3500 per month, it will generate 5.25%.

fool? perhaps not.

Although was skeptical about JLD at first but took train down last weekend to have a feel and the buzz is there. Just like business park development in Changi/Paya Lebar, it will be another converging point and with the proj 6.9m popln. At this point, you can only let your numbers do the talking a few years down the road to convinced others.

Regulators
11-07-13, 22:58
u may wish to check how many hotels in town are catering to business associates for jurong industries n what is the frequency?
To be fair, if jurong does hv a theme park like resorts world, the hotels there may see better occupancy, but why would genting want to split up its gains both sides by having another theme park there?

If I was an industrialist coming to meet my industrial partners, it would have to be Jurong, not all travellers are tourist, if you can't think out of the box in property, u won't make big bucks.

gosperence
11-07-13, 23:05

Agreed. Genting has the foresight:

1. 2-3 major big solar cell factories under construction in Jurong - many top exe mgmt from German occasionally visit their factories in Jurong, thus required a hotel

2. Jurong/Tuas is known as a hub for all important pharmaceutical companies in SG. Many business travellers there

3. Cater for business travellers to Biopolis, Fusionpolis, Jurong Island Petrochemical hub & etc

4. Overseas grad studying at NTU - many China students parents may stay nearer to this hotel during commencement week or convocation week

5. NUS not far too for same reason as (4)

6. RWS always hit 90% occupancy rate. This hotel can be a stop over to JB using 2nd link - LEGOLAND & Hello Kitty park are there, plus the Premium Outlet by Genting is expanding as well

7. Incentive from govt for JLD development. Who know what are the benefits Genting get for being the first to establish a hotel there

8. Already 4 shopping malls there. If u been to JEM, the layout n brand quality & shop mix are equally good if not better than Orchard

9. Think about medical industry - new hospital coming, accompanied overseas patients family need to find hotel to stay

Who said can't make money.....think twice for those naysayers...:cheers1:

Ringo33
11-07-13, 23:12
Although was skeptical about JLD at first but took train down last weekend to have a feel and the buzz is there. Just like business park development in Changi/Paya Lebar, it will be another converging point and with the proj 6.9m popln. At this point, you can only let your numbers do the talking a few years down the road to convinced others.

What you have seen at the moment is just they Jurong Gateway component of the Jurong Lake District. What has not been annouce yet is the mega theme park project on the opposite side of the lake.

I do envisage that when fully developed, entire Jurong Lake District will be connected via a human transporter that will bring visitor to various tourist attractions around the lake, e.g theme park, new science center, lakeside villiage, and even the Jurong country club.

Hence for business travellers, they wont mind checking into a hotel in JLD, do their business, play some golf, spend some R&R time around the jurong lake.

xebay11
11-07-13, 23:14
Agreed. Genting has the foresight:

1. 2-3 major big solar cell factories under construction in Jurong - many top exe mgmt from German occasionally visit their factories in Jurong, thus required a hotel

2. Jurong/Tuas is known as a hub for all important pharmaceutical companies in SG. Many business travellers there

3. Cater for business travellers to Biopolis, Fusionpolis, Jurong Island Petrochemical hub & etc

4. Overseas grad studying at NTU - many China students parents may stay nearer to this hotel during commencement week or convocation week

5. NUS not far too for same reason as (4)

6. RWS always hit 90% occupancy rate. This hotel can be a stop over to JB using 2nd link - LEGOLAND & Hello Kitty park are there, plus the Premium Outlet by Genting is expanding as well

7. Incentive from govt for JLD development. Who know what are the benefits Genting get for being the first to establish a hotel there

8. Already 4 shopping malls there. If u been to JEM, the layout n brand quality & shop mix are equally good if not better than Orchard

9. Think about medical industry - new hospital coming, accompanied overseas patients family need to find hotel to stay

Who said can't make money.....think twice for those naysayers...:cheers1:

You hit the nail on the head. The industrial and manufacturing sector has waited too long for a hotel within easy reach.

Ringo33
11-07-13, 23:18
Looking forward to the opening in 2015.

Designed for both business and leisure visitors, the 550 room hotel will have a contemporary look, with clean line furnishings. Besides club rooms for business executives, the hotel room inventory will include family rooms that can each comfortably accommodate families of four.

To complement the lush tropical lakeside setting close to the Jurong Lake, the architects adopted a “hotel in a garden” theme incorporating extensive landscaping and greenery, as well as roof gardens and sky terraces for guests to enjoy expansive views of the Jurong Lake District. Extensive open spaces such as courtyards and gardens will be found in many parts of the hotel.

The hotel’s facilities include an all day dining restaurant and a 24 hour deli, a swimming pool, a gym, a launderette, meeting rooms and a ballroom.
Connectivity features strongly, with complimentary wifi offered throughout the hotel, as well as internet stations and media pods in the lobby.

Mr Tan Hee Teck, President and Chief Operating Officer of Genting Singapore said, “We are excited to be the first hotel investor in the Jurong Lake District. Our flagship Resorts World Sentosa is one of the most successful integrated resorts in the world today, and the Jurong Lake Precinct should expect nothing less from this hotel in its category. We will deliver a product that will bring incremental business to neighbouring merchants, accommodation convenience to companies in the vicinity, and amenities to Jurong West residents. We will deliver an exciting property.

Trigger
11-07-13, 23:21
Used to work at IBP. Just in my company alone there's definitely a demand for a business hotel in this area.

sunrise
12-07-13, 10:00
expected to see a lot of hotel guests walking in and out with helmets, goggles and safety boots. a heaven made for the engineers.

azeoprop
12-07-13, 11:17
expected to see a lot of hotel guests walking in and out with helmets, goggles and safety boots. a heaven made for the engineers.

Many Minions will stay there :rolleyes:

teddybear
12-07-13, 13:16
Why you keep singing J Gateway in JLD $1600-$1800 psf worth buying hah?
Why you didn't tell people got Lake Holmz can get at $9xx psf not worth buying hah? And many more cheaper ones hah? All in JLD right?

What you have seen at the moment is just they Jurong Gateway component of the Jurong Lake District. What has not been annouce yet is the mega theme park project on the opposite side of the lake.

I do envisage that when fully developed, entire Jurong Lake District will be connected via a human transporter that will bring visitor to various tourist attractions around the lake, e.g theme park, new science center, lakeside villiage, and even the Jurong country club.

Hence for business travellers, they wont mind checking into a hotel in JLD, do their business, play some golf, spend some R&R time around the jurong lake.

teddybear
12-07-13, 13:20
This type of thing like below very common in Jurong... Why Ringo never tell you all hah? :doh:

Couple allow son to defecate by road side - even after being told off Not that I want to say la...but really ...

http://static.stomp.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/stomp/1876096/thumbnail/couple_allow_son_to-thumbnail.jpg

STOMPer Mark was disgusted at seeing a couple allowing their child to defecate at a road side at Admiralty Link.

When Mark told the couple off, they told him they would clean up the poop later.

Mark wrote:

"On the morning of July 10, I saw a couple allowing their kid to poop at the road side.

"The location was at block 487 Admiralty Link.

"Confirmed they are foreigners because I told him off.

"They said they would clean it up later.

"I did see them picking up something with a tissue paper later one, but I did not check if they picked up everything."

Ringo33
12-07-13, 13:25
Why you keep singing J Gateway in JLD $1600-$1800 psf worth buying hah?
Why you didn't tell people got Lake Holmz can get at $9xx psf not worth buying hah? And many more cheaper ones hah? All in JLD right?

hey old man, is age catching up with you? Since when did mentioned J Gateway condo in this thread.

oops
12-07-13, 13:49
Here's a glimpse of Genting Singapore's first Jurong hotel

*It's slated to open in 2015.According to a release, Genting Singapore broke ground on its new hotel in western*Singapore, along Jurong Town Hall Road last Thursday.Slated to open in the first half of 2015, Genting Singapore’s latest property development will be the first hotel to open in the Jurong Lake District which has been earmarked by Singapore’s Urban Redevelopment Authority as a new growth area with commercial, business and leisure facilities.Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay, Chairman of the Genting Group and Executive Chairman of Genting Singapore said, “This hotel signifies our commitment to reinvesting in Singapore, where Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) is based. Since opening RWS in 2010, we have transformed the tourism landscape in Singapore, and participated actively in the country’s social and community causes.With our hotel being the first to open in this growing precinct, we hope to create another unique hospitality product that will crank up the buzz meter in this already vibrant area to even higher levels. This will be a new landmark in the Jurong Lake District.”The hotel has a site area of 9,027 square metres and a lease period of 99 years. Located 5 minutes from the Jurong East Mass Rapid Transit station, it is situated close to the International Business Park cluster of offices, as well as popular shopping malls such as JCube and Jem.Designed for both business and leisure visitors, the 550-room hotel will have a contemporary look, with clean-line furnishings. Besides club rooms for business executives, the hotel room inventory will include family rooms that can each comfortably accommodate families of four.To complement the lush tropical lakeside setting close to the Jurong Lake, the architects adopted a “hotel in a garden” theme incorporating extensive landscaping and greenery, as well as roof gardens and sky terraces for guests to enjoy expansive views of the Jurong Lake District.Extensive open spaces such as courtyards and gardens will be found in many parts of the hotel.The hotel’s facilities include an all-day dining restaurant and a 24-hour deli, a swimming pool, a*gym, a launderette, meeting rooms and a ballroom.Connectivity features strongly, with*complimentary wifi offered throughout the hotel, as well as internet stations and media pods in the*lobby.Mr Tan Hee Teck, President and Chief Operating Officer of Genting Singapore said, “We are excited to be the first hotel investor in the Jurong Lake District. Our flagship Resorts World Sentosa is one of the most successful integrated resorts in the world today, and the Jurong Lake Precinct should expect nothing less from this hotel in its category.We will deliver a product that will bring incremental business to neighbouring merchants, accommodation convenience to companies in the vicinity, and amenities to Jurong West residents. We will deliver an exciting property.’’The hotel will be the seventh hospitality development for Genting Singapore, which currently owns*six hotel properties at RWS: Crockfords Tower, Hotel Michael, Festive Hotel, Hard Rock Hotel Singapore, Equarius Hotel and the Beach Villas. *

jacelynchia
12-07-13, 14:02
I can only imagine how crowded the trains there would be, it is already so crowded, squeeze even more!:doh:

Reisor
13-07-13, 09:18
Just hope that the theme of the park will be a more serene one (not RWS type) just like the ambience of the lake and gardens. More harmonious. You have advanced info on detailed development of these zones? must be well connected.

Reisor
13-07-13, 09:34
This type of thing like below very common in Jurong... Why Ringo never tell you all hah? :doh:

Habits of homeland or former homeland being carried over.
Other common ones would be:
1. Cyclists are kings on the road. Mainly Geylang, Chinatown area
2. Pedestrians are kings on the road. Little India
3. Talking loudly on public transport.

Are S'poreans also well-behaved or infused in the culture overseas?
We need some reflections too.

Couple allow son to defecate by road side - even after being told off Not that I want to say la...but really ...

http://static.stomp.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/stomp/1876096/thumbnail/couple_allow_son_to-thumbnail.jpg

STOMPer Mark was disgusted at seeing a couple allowing their child to defecate at a road side at Admiralty Link.

When Mark told the couple off, they told him they would clean up the poop later.

Mark wrote:

"On the morning of July 10, I saw a couple allowing their kid to poop at the road side.

"The location was at block 487 Admiralty Link.

"Confirmed they are foreigners because I told him off.

"They said they would clean it up later.

"I did see them picking up something with a tissue paper later one, but I did not check if they picked up everything."