PDA

View Full Version : MRT noise

Trigger
30-06-13, 22:57
Assuming your apartment is at the same level as the MRT track, how far away should the track be such that a reasonable man should not find the MRT noise annoying?

CondoInterested
30-06-13, 23:04
Assuming your apartment is at the same level as the MRT track, how far away should the track be such that a reasonable man should not find the MRT noise annoying?
If you are in front, no matter how far, it is still noisy. Better to have at least 1 building in front of you to block the noise.

LaFiestaOwner
30-06-13, 23:09

Willing to share which condo u looking at? Easier that way. Confirm MRt or LRT. LRT no sound I think.

Draven005
30-06-13, 23:15
Let me venture a guess/////Manhattan at Simei?:p

Willing to share which condo u looking at? Easier that way. Confirm MRt or LRT. LRT no sound I think.

Trigger
30-06-13, 23:15
Just trying to establish a rule of thumb for future reference, as i've no experience with MRT noise.

Ringo33
30-06-13, 23:16

you just bought a unit at J Gateway?

Ringo33
30-06-13, 23:17
Just trying to establish a rule of thumb for future reference, as i've no experience with MRT noise.

you might want to take a look at this

Phase 1 location is out. You can sort of take reference from there to see if there is any chance of LTA building a noise barrier.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=1d9e540d-3cda-44f5-a26f-fbb0986fdd62

Trigger
30-06-13, 23:27
Interesting. I've seen these barriers overseas, didn't know they're building them here.

you might want to take a look at this

Phase 1 location is out. You can sort of take reference from there to see if there is any chance of LTA building a noise barrier.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=1d9e540d-3cda-44f5-a26f-fbb0986fdd62

LaFiestaOwner
30-06-13, 23:29
If it is J Gateway, the noise is going to be a lot more. The current bus interchange is not the actual site. Plus the crowd, the jam (already started even without J Gate built and Westgate yet. Hope u have a mid to high storey.

juayster
01-07-13, 00:08
You can ask Regulator. He has tons of comments on units facing the MRT tracks.

Ringo33
01-07-13, 00:12
If it is J Gateway, the noise is going to be a lot more. The current bus interchange is not the actual site. Plus the crowd, the jam (already started even without J Gate built and Westgate yet. Hope u have a mid to high storey.

the jam you see there is actually caused by JEM carpark entrance. If not for that, the place is usually quite OK. Beside, there will be several new road which will be constructed around J Gateway and Westgate. You can see that on the Masterplan2008.

Having said that, I believe eventually, there will be some kind of ERP gantry going into Jurong Gateway and the government is now planning to introduce bike sharing scheme in JLD.

Regulators
01-07-13, 01:47
Paying $1k psf to face the track for caspian is bad enough, paying $1600psf to face the track for J gateway is just incredible. :doh:

Ringo33
01-07-13, 01:49
Paying $1k psf to face the track for caspian is bad enough, paying $1600psf to face the track for J gateway is just incredible. :doh:

at least caspian owner are richer than those who bought your highly recommended Mackenzie88.

dtrax
01-07-13, 02:41
See my post on http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=411290&postcount=1724

I am a self pro-claim expert on mrt track noise with >15yrs experience. Doesnt matter how tall/far, if direct facing is really jin jin scary.

mcmlxxvi
01-07-13, 08:02
I am 500m from the track and facing it directly. However since am unblocked for a good part of it it can be distinctly heard after 10pm and before 7am. Other times the buses downstairs take over the conductor baton.

Ringo33
01-07-13, 08:05
See my post on http://forums.condosingapore.com/showpost.php?p=411290&postcount=1724

I am a self pro-claim expert on mrt track noise with >15yrs experience. Doesnt matter how tall/far, if direct facing is really jin jin scary.

try staying next to the highway. Its even worst and there is no interval in between.

eng81157
01-07-13, 08:05
i've tried living a couple of days in front of a MRT track, along clementi. verdict = NO SLEEP

CondoInterested
01-07-13, 08:13
Got Sleep lah, plug music into your ears lor. :D

teddybear
01-07-13, 08:30
Soon, any time also can sleep, because cannot heard any more noise (and no sound as well)... :doh:

Got Sleep lah, plug music into your ears lor. :D

teddybear
01-07-13, 08:31
The LRT trains don't move anymore is it? Got machine move with no sound? Won't they become louder and louder, just like cars when they age? Initially so quiet, engine like no sound, then become louder and louder. :eek:

teddybear
01-07-13, 08:33
Ok ok, when buying property, make sure you don't directly face:
1) MRT track and MRT station
2) Expressway
3) Bus interchanges and bus terminals
4) LRT track and LRT station
5) What else???

try staying next to the highway. Its even worst and there is no interval in between.

Ringo33
01-07-13, 09:00
Ok ok, when buying property, make sure you don't directly face:
1) MRT track and MRT station
2) Expressway
3) Bus interchanges and bus terminals
4) LRT track and LRT station
5) What else???

Temple or places of worship.

hopeful
01-07-13, 09:29

i prefer highway to mrt track. highway noise is more or less constant, so white noise easy to filter out.

p3nboy
01-07-13, 09:34
i prefer highway to mrt track. highway noise is more or less constant, so white noise easy to filter out.

Like, agreed!

Ringo33
01-07-13, 09:43

its constant and almost 24/7 as well. If you talking about filtering out noise, you can also apply the same to MRT noise I guess. Just use double glaze window loh.

mermaid
01-07-13, 10:19

I feel at least a 8 mins walk.

u noe tampines lib is abt a 5 mins walk to the mrt stn, at the library is parallel to the track.

when I am in the lib, I can hear the train passing by, even though it is air-conditioned.

chiaberry
01-07-13, 10:23
6 mins walk. Facing away from the track and with one condo in between to block should be OK. Example, Tanglin View, Tanglin Regency - not much complaints of track noise from them compared to Metropolitan.

eng81157
01-07-13, 10:32
double glazed windows won't help much if you are living just beside an mrt track, like metropolitan.

chiaberry
01-07-13, 10:35
If you are living next to the track, it is not just the noise. You can also feel the vibration when the train passes by.

eng81157
01-07-13, 10:44
If you are living next to the track, it is not just the noise. You can also feel the vibration when the train passes by.

precisely, that's why even a double glazed window won't work for a light-sleeper, like myself

chiaberry
01-07-13, 10:48
Is J-Gateway as close to the MRT as Metropolitan?

pod
01-07-13, 12:23
er.. thats why i always tell my friends dun b so sticky about buying near Mrt la... Seriously u really wana stay so near meh?

Buy the ppty next to it. (behind) Cheaper and filter abit of noise too. :D

ecimbew
01-07-13, 12:36
67 decibels is the maximum level for road traffic noise based on the National Environment Agency's (NEA) standards.

samsungtay
01-07-13, 12:40

But noise travel outward. Mid floor up to level 10 to 12 storey is still noisy unless you stay much higher than that....

ecimbew
01-07-13, 12:52
‘Difficult to limit noise pollution in S’pore’

By iProperty | Property Blog*–*Tue, Jul 26, 2011

By Daniel Seifert

While air and water contamination regularly fill media headlines, there is another kind that is affecting cities around the world: noise pollution. As an industrialised, urbanised and economically successful state, Singapore is no exception.

The main culprit is noise from MRT lines that lie close to residences. Developments within the transportation system have focused on putting more trains on the ground, and many residents resent growing noise levels.

In many ways, Singapore is a victim of its own success — the sheer number of skyscrapers means more sound is reflected off them. The taller a building is, the louder a noise will be, as sound travels upwards. Up until roughly 15 storeys, noise levels increase level by level. To combat this, noise barriers can be erected (there is already one built in Jurong). Countries such as Japan, Germany and Australia have installed many in their cities.

While authorities have built walls (such as that in Toa Payoh Lorong 1, shielding it from the Pan-Island Expressway), planted trees and used porous asphalt to dampen vehicle noise, these measure are not always effective for multi-storey buildings. Residents can elect to install double-glazed windows. Although they effectively dampen noise, they only work when closed, and can be costly for people who, as a consequence, need to turn on air-conditioners or fans.

As the country's population has steadily risen over the years, commuter numbers have similarly increased, leading the SMRT to increase the frequency of their services on the North-South and East-West lines. While this has alleviated commuter crowding, it has also been a source of annoyance for those living near train lines, who have to suffer the near-ceaseless noise emanating from the tracks. And the older the tracks, the greater the noise.

To calm the growing dissatisfaction, the government recently announced plans to measure sound levels along the 65km of elevated MRT tracks. There will also be a study by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and the National Environment Agency (NEA), which will examine both road and rail locations around the city in order to recommend solutions. This study is slated to conclude at the start of 2012.

In the meantime, the number of vehicles zipping along Singapore streets will doubtlessly increase — in 2000, there were 692,807 vehicles on the roads. Last month, there were 951,307, an increase of 37 percent. This increase is likely to raise the noise levels in residential areas, as larger numbers of people drive to and from work.

Currently, NEA regulations limit train noise to 67 decibels over a one-hour period — that's about the level you'd expect to find in a supermarket. This is the same limit for roads and expressways. Some people disagree with this, arguing that when trains pass by, the noise level can spike, even though the one-hour average does not exceed 67 decibels. These spikes can be particularly disturbing at night, when residents are sleeping and the accompanying white noise is lower.

As Singapore grows, however, it becomes more and more difficult to effectively limit noise pollution. Noise barriers can help, but a certain amount of noise is always to be expected, particularly near MRT line areas.

Ringo33
01-07-13, 13:05
Is J-Gateway as close to the MRT as Metropolitan?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1011842_10151698182757040_32025853_n.jpg

Komo
01-07-13, 13:28
facing mrt if unblocked definitely no no regardless of floor level, unless there is a distance of about 100m away.:D

Ringo33
01-07-13, 13:34
facing mrt if unblocked definitely no no regardless of floor level, unless there is a distance of about 100m away.:D

Lets not KPKB first lah. Wait for the project TOP then we talk.

When MND and BCA move it, they will sure ask TUCK YEW to do something about noise because the one affected most will those working in the office block.

pod
01-07-13, 13:36
Actually LRT noise is ultra low volume as compared to the MRT. The MRT really screeches when coming to a stop. Not to mention the volume of announcements as well as commuters plying in the vicinity. Traffic jams/illegal park stop etc etc....:doh:

eng81157
01-07-13, 13:42
67 decibels is the maximum level for road traffic noise based on the National Environment Agency's (NEA) standards.

that's road traffic. MRT trains don't travel on roads.......plus, i'm sure it exceeds the top limit

eng81157
01-07-13, 13:44
Actually LRT noise is ultra low volume as compared to the MRT. The MRT really screeches when coming to a stop. Not to mention the volume of announcements as well as commuters plying in the vicinity. Traffic jams/illegal park stop etc etc....:doh:

the screeching is one thing. wait till you hear the cleaning/maintennance thing that starts at 3/4am.

:scared-5: :scared-5: :scared-5: :scared-5: i was like Tom Hanks, starring in "sleepless in clementi"

p3nboy
01-07-13, 14:16
this condo is located at a main junction, those facing the main road already KPKB.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=9003&page=266

Jurong East has 6 platforms...what do you think?

Is ok, can buy 1st and regret later. Just like the buyers above.

eng81157
01-07-13, 14:18
this condo is located at a main junction, those facing the main road already KPKB.

even without 6 platforms, i won't touch jurong at 1600psf. siao!! can easily buy somewhere nearer to town

Regulators
01-07-13, 14:25
Ringo33 will feed you with all those boring statistics to tell u why u r wrong.
even without 6 platforms, i won't touch jurong at 1600psf. siao!! can easily buy somewhere nearer to town

eng81157
01-07-13, 14:41
Ringo33 will feed you with all those boring statistics to tell u why u r wrong.

please lor............he's been raving about a third IR being situated at JLD since who-knows-when. he's been raving about JLD as the next big thing, as if there isn't any other place to live in Singapore

pod
01-07-13, 14:46
the screeching is one thing. wait till you hear the cleaning/maintennance thing that starts at 3/4am.

:scared-5: :scared-5: :scared-5: :scared-5: i was like Tom Hanks, starring in "sleepless in clementi"

Yes I agree with u on this. (happen to be at my friend's house for gathering)

Saw them(maintenance team) walking with torches at night. Then hammering here and there diligently.

Seriously very irritating. Duno why peeps kena talked into buying next to MRT. lol. Buy abit further away la.. cheaper too:D

chiaberry
01-07-13, 14:56

SIX platforms! :doh: :eek:

mermaid
01-07-13, 14:56
Duno why peeps kena talked into buying next to MRT. lol. Buy abit further away la.. cheaper too:D

Buy near mrt is oni applicable if the MRT is located underground :cheers4:
else :banghead:

Regulators
01-07-13, 15:11
those buying a track facing unit can burn this video on a disc and play it at between 35-40db with interval of 5 minutes in between for 19 hours from 5am to 12am, if they can tahan this, then they can buy the track facing unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1gktKRvoGA

Regulators
01-07-13, 15:14
i found this latest rare video from a high floor unit of trains travelling two way, those track noise lovers can download this as well:

http://youtu.be/E_QCux0i8sk

eng81157
01-07-13, 15:18

not only the trains. think about the human traffic!!!! think about trying to have a stroll after dinner with your kids or loved ones. instead of a peaceful walk in the park, you get bombarded by train noise, human noise, car noise, bus noise...........

surely this is a good quality of life, by someone's standards

chiaberry
01-07-13, 15:26
not only the trains. think about the human traffic!!!! think about trying to have a stroll after dinner with your kids or loved ones. instead of a peaceful walk in the park, you get bombarded by train noise, human noise, car noise, bus noise...........

surely this is a good quality of life, by someone's standards

On Sundays, all the maids from Jurong and the West will congregate around here. Divert the crowds from Orchard and Lucky Plaza.....

p3nboy
01-07-13, 15:28
On Sundays, all the maids from Jurong and the West will congregate around here. Divert the crowds from Orchard and Lucky Plaza.....

LIKE. so can go maid hunting?

TravieJackie
01-07-13, 16:51
My friend bought optima at tanah merah and facing track.

Bad quality of sleep and also I can hear the train when I speak on the phone with him.

Agent who sold the unit said very quiet after shutting the windows but it's not true. Go visit such units and you'll know what I mean.

ecimbew
01-07-13, 18:05

To be accurate, it is 4 lanes and 6 platforms.

http://www.sgtrains.com/images/jemp/jemp_concourse_layout.jpg

ecimbew
01-07-13, 18:06
Guess where is J Gateway?

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo6/jcqh/JEMP/JEMPupdate-13-02-102.jpg

http://www.ywlgroup.com/JEMP_files/new%20photo.jpg

Trigger
01-07-13, 18:09
Good feedback. Sounds like most agree no good for own stay if near track. So how can it be good for investment? Won't tenants face the same problem? Or does the convenience make it bearable since its only for near term?

ecimbew
01-07-13, 18:10
The old Jurong East bus interchange will move to Westgate, which is on the plot of empty land next to it.

J Gateway, is in front of the old Jurong East bus interchange.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/whataprob/Rail/DSC00477.jpg

ecimbew
01-07-13, 18:11
I think must get a unit above 15 floor to be safe. Ok maybe safe...

J Gateway is in front of the HDB flats but behind the rail tracks and viaducts.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6059463772_2d3eca4037_z.jpg

chiaberry
01-07-13, 18:13
It should be possible to find tenants. But the place looks v. congested and the ambience is (ahem!) not really conducive for quiet family life. But there should still be a market for those who prefer convenience to ambience. We can discuss this until the cows come home but the proof of the pudding will be on TOP and seeing the actual take up and rents achieved. :cheers1:

PS seems to be a health hazard too. All the bus petrol fumes....and fumes from the cars that will crowd here.

It's like living in the Bus/MRT DEPOT. ZZZZzzz

ecimbew
01-07-13, 18:13
The sound barriers that LTA put up.

Very good for the same level as track units, I guess...

But it doesn't help those living above it.

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/u3u6t2RcCj8/maxresdefault.jpg

ecimbew
01-07-13, 18:16
Temporary bus stop in the foreground. JEM and Westgate in construction behind.

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/jurongwest17e.jpg

ecimbew
01-07-13, 18:18
The old JE bus interchange in the foreground.
Westgate under construction on the left corner.

J Gateway in the green patch in front of old JE bus interchange.

http://publictransportsg.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/img_9085.jpg

ecimbew
01-07-13, 18:21
J Gateway cordoned off.

Westgate and Jem under construction.

Old bus interchange has shifted.

http://www.jurongeastcondo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/11.jpg

chiaberry
01-07-13, 18:21
All those HDB in the photos super huat!

TravieJackie
01-07-13, 18:41
To each his own. some like the fact that MRT is so so near. But I rather walk 5 mins and have a peaceful environment.

Not to mention MRT these days damn noisy. Tracks old liao! Especially the old lines. Screeched into stations and screeched off.

If I really have to stay there, I rather stay in a development behind or the units not facing the tracks. It really can be non stop high pitched noise!

walkthetiger
01-07-13, 20:01
To each his own. some like the fact that MRT is so so near. But I rather walk 5 mins and have a peaceful environment.

Not to mention MRT these days damn noisy. Tracks old liao! Especially the old lines. Screeched into stations and screeched off.

If I really have to stay there, I rather stay in a development behind or the units not facing the tracks. It really can be non stop high pitched noise!

And those very loud "tuck tuck" noise whenever a train bypasses those IRJ (Insulated Rail Joint, gap between tracks) at the railway track.

Autumnwinds
01-07-13, 20:44
I think must get a unit above 15 floor to be safe. Ok maybe safe...

J Gateway is in front of the HDB flats but behind the rail tracks and viaducts.

15th floor isn't enough. Personal experience at metro, 25th floor, if my sliding doors are open, I can still hear the train and track sounds, if they are closed not much of an issue.

Redhill only has 2 platforms, triple this number and you get.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ecimbew
01-07-13, 20:51
I don't know which is more annoying. The announcements or the trains screeching.

ecimbew
01-07-13, 20:56
Can you believe this? Someone actually recorded it down.

http://www.freesound.org/people/DrSpirograph/packs/5007/

fan
01-07-13, 21:15
Whatever is planned for the old bus interchange site will block the mrt noise n save j gateway?

mrtcard
02-07-13, 01:49
actually I stayed 11th floor just right above mrt. It really doesn't sound loud at all. you can hardly hear it unless you concentrate to hear the noise. Actually I liked the mrt close to me, I calculated its 100 steps from my lift to the control station less escalator trip. Its so convenient. of course we trade off for a slightly noisy environment but honestly it is ok. it will not wake you up from sleep.

if we look at J gateway, SOHO block stack 23 is closest to mrt track. joining the track is EW line. and according to map, a green patch in between the 2 tracks meant for greenery. I hope the trees is tall enough to block some noise. Im sure too that the mrt operator will slow down when they pass by close proximity residential.

I think you should worry about your neighbours instead... Mahjong everyday till 2 3am... My friend made his 3 neighbours moved out!!

eng81157
02-07-13, 07:55
I don't know which is more annoying. The announcements or the trains screeching.

the screeching sound and the maintennance gongs in the wee of the night

door
02-07-13, 11:13
I stay in a place very near to the MRT (3 min walk from lift lobby to train station). There is nothing between my block and the station from my floor. But I'm in a unit that faces away from the MRT, not towards. I can't hear anything at all from my place. Have to go downstairs and out of the block before I can hear the train.

Agree with the previous poster that neighbours should be the main concern for noise - recently had some nightmare neighbours move in and we are having so many problems with the noise.

eng81157
02-07-13, 11:20
I stay in a place very near to the MRT (3 min walk from lift lobby to train station). There is nothing between my block and the station from my floor. But I'm in a unit that faces away from the MRT, not towards. I can't hear anything at all from my place. Have to go downstairs and out of the block before I can hear the train.

Agree with the previous poster that neighbours should be the main concern for noise - recently had some nightmare neighbours move in and we are having so many problems with the noise.

you are, fortunately, shielded by poor neighbours who are facing the track.

TravieJackie
02-07-13, 11:46
But then again, after some time, you may get used to the noise and tune it out. But people who are first exposed to it or don't stay next to Mrt stations will know the big difference.

Moreover, staying next to mrt tracks and station is different. Mrt station has a higher noise pollution with trains pulling in and out of stations.

door
02-07-13, 11:52
you are, fortunately, shielded by poor neighbours who are facing the track.

Yup, agree! Guess you can be super close, just put a unit or two in between :D

eng81157
05-07-13, 07:56
But then again, after some time, you may get used to the noise and tune it out. But people who are first exposed to it or don't stay next to Mrt stations will know the big difference.

Moreover, staying next to mrt tracks and station is different. Mrt station has a higher noise pollution with trains pulling in and out of stations.

try staying next to the tracks.....you will never get used to it.
oh wait, you may if you start turning deaf

:scared-5: :scared-5: :scared-5:

felicia_sg
05-07-13, 08:59
With trains aging, the noise created when moving at fast speed also very deafening!

felicia_sg
05-07-13, 09:01
Probably you got used to it now, which means you may need to do a ear checkup.
Doctors have said that prolong expose to noise above 80dB will cause partial deaf or even deaf!

actually I stayed 11th floor just right above mrt. It really doesn't sound loud at all. you can hardly hear it unless you concentrate to hear the noise. Actually I liked the mrt close to me, I calculated its 100 steps from my lift to the control station less escalator trip. Its so convenient. of course we trade off for a slightly noisy environment but honestly it is ok. it will not wake you up from sleep.

if we look at J gateway, SOHO block stack 23 is closest to mrt track. joining the track is EW line. and according to map, a green patch in between the 2 tracks meant for greenery. I hope the trees is tall enough to block some noise. Im sure too that the mrt operator will slow down when they pass by close proximity residential.

I think you should worry about your neighbours instead... Mahjong everyday till 2 3am... My friend made his 3 neighbours moved out!!

walkthetiger
05-07-13, 10:04
Doctors have said that prolong expose to noise above 80dB will cause partial deaf or even deaf!

Unless that buyer has good confidence in the project’s design and construction, else should avoid choosing units near to MRT track.
I worry it may even be a problem for rental, if noise is at disturbing level.

eng81157
05-07-13, 10:08
from a personal perspective, I WON'T rent a unit that is beside the tracks. i don't mind living a couple of blocks behind or somewhere that is a couple minutes' worth of walk away

Lovelle
05-07-13, 11:04
hard to tell, there are many development along the EW line such as Queens, Metropolitan has many low floor units facing mrt are rented out at high price,, who to judge

smellyfish
05-07-13, 11:38
i personally find the exposed train tracks incredibly ugly - conjure up images of slums and shanty towns (maybe because in most countries, slums and shanty towns are usually found around train tracks).

anyway, is train sound worse than expressway sound? I lived in Bayshore Park for a while and first few nights couldnt sleep at all!

mrtcard
05-07-13, 11:49
I agree to a certain extent. But they do install this noise reduction fence along the track especially along residential area that are close proximity and they normally slow down. It greatly reduced the noise.
Very awkward encounter was there was this couple looking at buying my block's unit actually did house to house survey asking not about the noise from the mrt but the smell from rubbish chute that if I can smell it from 11 storey.....
Funny eh?

wsx123
05-07-13, 12:25
I agree to a certain extent. But they do install this noise reduction fence along the track especially along residential area that are close proximity and they normally slow down. It greatly reduced the noise.
Very awkward encounter was there was this couple looking at buying my block's unit actually did house to house survey asking not about the noise from the mrt but the smell from rubbish chute that if I can smell it from 11 storey.....
Funny eh?

No sure whether all new projects have engaged LTA for those noise fence. Those fence are not parts of developer design.

mrtcard
05-07-13, 20:44

erm actually my window face the mrt station, 11 storey and 100 steps away, my TV is noiser than mrt >.<!
in fact the bus is noiser than Mrt!

Reisor
06-07-13, 17:58
hard to tell, there are many development along the EW line such as Queens, Metropolitan has many low floor units facing mrt are rented out at high price,, who to judge

Sharing from experience, have rented out a unit 200m from city fringe station along EW-MRT line before. Average rental but tenants have been asking for renewal despite the MRT noise. I suppose proximity is key to some, also after some time, the noise just blend in.

wind30
06-07-13, 21:04
I used to live on the 10th floor facing MRT and a road, Nuovo EC at YCK.

MRT confirm noisier. Open window confirm is noisy. But not noisy until can spoil your ear lah. Which crazy people say that? I am sure MRT has a regulation to limit the noise into residential area to safe levels.

It is loud enough to irritate me so I spend my five years there with Aircon 80% of the time. Dun open windows very quiet:)

teddybear
06-07-13, 22:50
Below 80dB considered safe level, not too noisy (in "official" term & definition), but is already real noisy and irritating enough for most people (except those with hearing problem)! :doh:

I used to live on the 10th floor facing MRT and a road, Nuovo EC at YCK.

MRT confirm noisier. Open window confirm is noisy. But not noisy until can spoil your ear lah. Which crazy people say that? I am sure MRT has a regulation to limit the noise into residential area to safe levels.

It is loud enough to irritate me so I spend my five years there with Aircon 80% of the time. Dun open windows very quiet:)

eng81157
08-07-13, 09:56
Sharing from experience, have rented out a unit 200m from city fringe station along EW-MRT line before. Average rental but tenants have been asking for renewal despite the MRT noise. I suppose proximity is key to some, also after some time, the noise just blend in.

200m is not exactly near the tracks. plus, if there are other blocks in between your place and the tracks, then the noise wouldn't hit you.

TravieJackie
08-07-13, 09:56
Bus make be noise but it's a low rumbling sound. MRT high pitch screeching cound.

From my experience, close windows, MRT also noisy lor. And every 5 mins or so. I personally cannot stand it.

Reisor
08-07-13, 10:41
200m is not exactly near the tracks. plus, if there are other blocks in between your place and the tracks, then the noise wouldn't hit you.

Sorry, wasn't clear. 200m walk to the station. Train will zoom past the elevated track which is about 30m from void deck of block. My unit is #10. The noise is still audible due to unit's room facing, has changed somewhat to a low rumble with newer trains but intensity remains the same. It is possible to have little noise staying near tracks if your windows facing the opposite and some other units block for you. Just like some of the neighbors but not many.

Used to stayed near BKE, 300~400m away, #09, and the sound is endless and worse as at least MRT is intermittent. Sound travels up when far so really need tall buildings to deflect noise.

eng81157
08-07-13, 10:48
Sorry, wasn't clear. 200m walk to the station. Train will zoom past the elevated track which is about 30m from void deck of block. My unit is #10. The noise is still audible due to unit's room facing, has changed somewhat to a low rumble with newer trains but intensity remains the same. It is possible to have little noise staying near tracks if your windows facing the opposite and some other units block for you. Just like some of the neighbors but not many.

Used to stayed near BKE, 300~400m away, #09, and the sound is endless and worse as at least MRT is intermittent. Sound travels up when far so really need tall buildings to deflect noise.

yup, if your unit has some buffer in between or tilted at an angle, then you won't bear the full brunt of the sound waves.

whereas, if you lived directly beside the tracks & facing it, you will understand why a light-sleeper, like me, will never ever purchase a unit beside the MRT track/station