PDA

View Full Version : Can’t afford not having it

vip
23-06-13, 23:05
http://propertysoul.com/2013/06/23/cant-afford-not-having-it/

Can’t afford not having it

June 23, 2013

We had lunch in a neighborhood shopping mall on Saturday.

Although the carpark was already full before 1 p.m., we were surprised too see that there were no queue in front of the restaurants. In fact, the traffic in the shopping mall was just like any non-peak hour on a normal weekday.

Where are the rest of the shoppers?

While waiting for the food, I went down to the basement floor to grab something.

Wow, what a sight! There was a long queue in front of the NTUC Unity pharmacy shop with no end in sight. It had at least three to four layers going in circles, blocking the entrance of a few shops next to it.

People were lining up to buy the N95 face masks to fight against the haze. The evening news the day before showed people queuing up from the wee hours of the morning to buy them. Experts in the interviews confirmed the superiority of N95 over surgical masks. There were rumors that the masks were out of stock everywhere in Singapore. That created a frantic crowd desperately combing the island to find the N95 masks.

People were calling others with their cellphone to check the queue at different outlets. Some were eating their takeaway lunch in the queue. Many asked their domestic helpers to line up on their behalf.

However, none of them looked like having a job that need to stay outdoors most of the time.

A staff member suddenly told everyone that all N95 face masks were sold out. He asked the people in the queue to leave. But no one had any intention to do so.

If this haze really lasts for weeks, as told by our Prime Minister, then it can’t be more timely to hold an election right now. Instead of distributing cash, the PAP can consider giving away N95 face masks to each citizen. Afterall, you win the heart of the voters by giving them exactly what they want in the right way at the right time.

When we left the mall at 2 p.m., the sky had cleared up and visibility had been greatly improved. The 3-hour PSI dropped from over 300 in the morning to 178.

Why are the people still queuing?

In fact, for the rest of the day, the 3-hour PSI keeps staying in the moderate range of 73 to 90. The air has not been so clean for days.

I guess people end up falling sick not because of the haze, but for the tormenting task of waking up early on a Saturday morning, traveling in the midst of heavy haze to a pharmacy, and lining up with a big crowd for hours.

It reminds me of buyers rushing to a sales office to snap up units during a new launch. They see the dazzling advertisements on TV and newspaper. They receive the special VIP invitation from their property agent. They are convinced that the chance is now or never.

It doesn’t matter whether the units are reasonably priced. Nobody has time to verify whether it is really a good location. And who cares about the layout and quality? Everyone else is buying anyway. This is what is offering in the market. There is no choice but to buy now.

The people in the showflats do not look like they are homeless, or so desperate that they don’t have any alternative. But they just don’t want to leave the sales office without booking a unit.

Similarly, the people queuing in front of the pharmacy were reassured that stock would be replenished in one or two days. But their persistence in lining up for hours showed that they couldn’t survive without a N95 mask over the weekend.

The haze is a wake-up call that reminds Singaporeans how vulnerable we are as a nation, and how helpless we are at the mercy of our neighboring countries.

The crowd at the showflats is a demonstration that proves how important upgrading to a condominium is in the Singapore dream, and how receptive we are with anything offered by the developers.

Perhaps when people leave the shopping mall, with a pack of N95 masks in their hands, they are relieved that they have finally accomplished the mission of the day. Whether they still need a mask for the rest of the day (or days) is no longer important.

No one can tell what is going to happen next. And what do they say? The market tends to make most of us look foolish most of the time.

radha08
23-06-13, 23:18
like i said kiasu-ism is in the singaporeans blood....macdonalds had a long que also for some doll:doh:

kane
23-06-13, 23:32
yesterday's PM2.5 was actually still in the very unhealthy range. the PSI and clear weather was kind of deceptive.

Today's PSI and PM2.5 is a lot better and more consistent.

radha08
23-06-13, 23:45
yesterday's PM2.5 was actually still in the very unhealthy range. the PSI and clear weather was kind of deceptive.

Today's PSI and PM2.5 is a lot better and more consistent.

question is what about tommorow:scared-1: :D

kane
24-06-13, 00:11
question is what about tommorow:scared-1: :D

take each day as it comes. standby the mask and purifiers if needed.

radha08
24-06-13, 05:40
take each day as it comes. standby the mask and purifiers if needed.

5am 3hr psi at 51...thats 1 psi short of 50
Which is healthy....:cheers1:

chiaberry
24-06-13, 07:09
In my neighbourhood, people were queuing up to buy Three 11 ground floor units (condo in Upp Thomson). They are apparently sold out.

wind30
24-06-13, 07:28
another stupid government action plan.

Frankly, the N95 should be distributed from workplaces.

All stat boards and major companies should have ONE N95 facemask FOC for employess.

1 for 1 Exchange available FOC or $1 per piece. Can take extra for dependents.

Like that anyhow release to market, you get hoarders, profiteers all anyhow queue....

ysyap
24-06-13, 07:54
Crap... I haven't even gotten any N95 after so many days... must I really go queue? My mum went to NTUC yesterday also don't have anymore... :beats-me-man:

ysyap
24-06-13, 08:16
another stupid government action plan.

Frankly, the N95 should be distributed from workplaces.

All stat boards and major companies should have ONE N95 facemask FOC for employess.

1 for 1 Exchange available FOC or $1 per piece. Can take extra for dependents.

Like that anyhow release to market, you get hoarders, profiteers all anyhow queue....Will not dispute with that... think this initiative caught everybody by surprise... not prepared.

shareidiot
24-06-13, 08:42
Not true that everyone is kiasu. Personally i wont waste my time to queue & buy n95 @ highly marked up price.

My daughter has a history of breathing problem. Admitted to A&E twice. I monitored her situation (last Friday) & sent her to the clinic as she felt "rough" exhaling. Someone in the family gave her n95 (just in case).

Based on my child's condition, i strongly believe among those queueing up buying n95, im sure some are with valid medical reasons & should be allocated (priority to purchase) n95 first.

Fyi, i was @ Giant yesterday. N95 was available @ the counter for $2.80/pc (no excessive mark up). No need to rush/queue.
;)

like i said kiasu-ism is in the singaporeans blood....macdonalds had a long que also for some doll:doh:

zeamybro
24-06-13, 08:53
Ya, see plenty of stocks available at Vivocity last evening ... MM brand (not 3M) selling at 5pcs for $1.95. Nobody gives a hoot now seeing the sky so clear ... but if the haze were to come back (touch wood), i assume queues will start forming again.

kane
24-06-13, 08:55
In my neighbourhood, people were queuing up to buy Three 11 ground floor units (condo in Upp Thomson). They are apparently sold out.

launch already? the minute haze clear people cheong to buy property again?

phantom_opera
24-06-13, 09:06
MRT mixed development or those directly connected via tunnel will have price premiums if every year sumatera forest fire is lurking

chiaberry
24-06-13, 09:16
As it is somewhat of a national emergency, shouldn't the Govt be co-ordinating the supply and sale of N95 masks via CCs and hospitals? That way, they can ensure that there is no profiteering from N95 masks. Can we lobby for this via the Govt online feedback channels? Where to lobby? Anybody know?

chiaberry
24-06-13, 09:22
launch already? the minute haze clear people cheong to buy property again?

Yep, not many units available. Choice units gone. My relative Q-ed. Q number less than 100. But didn't get the choice unit.

moneytalk
24-06-13, 10:00
As it is somewhat of a national emergency, shouldn't the Govt be co-ordinating the supply and sale of N95 masks via CCs and hospitals? That way, they can ensure that there is no profiteering from N95 masks. Can we lobby for this via the Govt online feedback channels? Where to lobby? Anybody know?

Yesterday I witnessed the graciousness of Singaporeans.
On the way home from market, I saw people distributing free N95 masks in the community centre and nearby HDB blocks.
I sat on the nearby bench to watch the distribution. Some people even rejected the free N95 face masks. I overheard them telling the volunteers to pass it to people who need the masks more.

radha08
24-06-13, 10:14

gnd floor bagus:cheers1:

radha08
24-06-13, 10:16
Not true that everyone is kiasu. Personally i wont waste my time to queue & buy n95 @ highly marked up price.

My daughter has a history of breathing problem. Admitted to A&E twice. I monitored her situation (last Friday) & sent her to the clinic as she felt "rough" exhaling. Someone in the family gave her n95 (just in case).

Based on my child's condition, i strongly believe among those queueing up buying n95, im sure some are with valid medical reasons & should be allocated (priority to purchase) n95 first.

Fyi, i was @ Giant yesterday. N95 was available @ the counter for $2.80/pc (no excessive mark up). No need to rush/queue.
;)

what i know price of masks just like price of share up and down:doh:

proud owner
24-06-13, 10:22
Will not dispute with that... think this initiative caught everybody by surprise... not prepared.

so in the mask aspect you are deemed MTB ?

proud owner
24-06-13, 10:25

just curious

did you plan to do the same when property prices was sky rocketing ?

they were many who made profits from it too ..

shud govt step in to make sure all can buy property cheap ? and that no one shud make money from it ?

just a thought ...

chiaberry
24-06-13, 11:02
just curious

did you plan to do the same when property prices was sky rocketing ?

they were many who made profits from it too ..

shud govt step in to make sure all can buy property cheap ? and that no one shud make money from it ?

just a thought ...

Why are you comparing property with N95 masks?

If you don't have property, it won't affect your health.

In the case of the haze, if you don't have a mask it could affect your health.

Providing masks to the populace could save the Govt. a lot of $$$ because people who develop health problems from the haze will clog up the healthcare system (from polyclinics to A&E etc). You have to think of the bigger picture.

The Govt. do have a responsibility to ensure that they do their best to help their population when some unprecedented event like this occurs. Not leave every man to his own. And for unscrupulous traders to take advantage and sell expired masks to unsuspected people (probably left-over stocks from SARS period).

princess_morbucks
24-06-13, 11:09

Providing masks to the populace could save the Govt. a lot of $$$ because people who develop health problems from the haze will clog up the healthcare system (from polyclinics to A&E etc). You have to think of the bigger picture.

The Govt. do have a responsibility to ensure that they do their best to help their population when some unprecedented event like this occurs. Not leave every man to his own. And for unscrupulous traders to take advantage and sell expired masks to unsuspected people (probably left-over stocks from SARS period).

If we don't have a property, our health will definitely be affected, physically and mentally. LOL.

We have not been prepared for haze emergency.
Can't blame government lah.
They are trying very hard.

From today onwards, N95 masks will be available from NTUC, cap at 10 masks per person.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/n95-masks-available-ntuc-fairprice-tomorrow

chiaberry
24-06-13, 11:15
If we don't have a property, our health will definitely be affected, physically and mentally. LOL.

:doh:

This is a Singaporean attitude. In many countries, there are significant numbers of the population who rent a property, not own it.

princess_morbucks
24-06-13, 11:36
:doh:

This is a Singaporean attitude. In many countries, there are significant numbers of the population who rent a property, not own it.

Thanks to our government, the majority of us have at least one property.
It is important that we have at least have 1 property , ie a roof over our heads.
It is the least that we can have.

I think your previous post was meant be "If you don't have an investment property, it won't affect your health."

If it is so, I agree with you whole heartedly.

proud owner
24-06-13, 12:17

as this is a property forum... I tend to link everything else to property ...
applying the same thought on 1 issue to another ...

princess_morbucks
24-06-13, 12:44
as this is a property forum... I tend to link everything else to property ...
applying the same thought on 1 issue to another ...

Yes, analogy vs homology, right?