PDA

View Full Version : Artas Ho and yowetan

phantom_opera
23-06-13, 10:41
today investor on Sunday Times is Atas Ho, young investor still study 2nd year uni going to retire at 35

how does he compare to yowetan lol?

minority
23-06-13, 11:18
retire 35? wat a waste of youth!

phantom_opera
23-06-13, 11:40
I think yowetan more qualified to appear in Sunday Times

Allthepies
23-06-13, 11:52
Retire doesnt mean economically or socially non contributing. It just means you can focus on what is really important to you, no more fighting to climb the corporate ladder

primeesense
23-06-13, 12:03
Im just surprised that at 22 he is applying for BTO. Talk about kiasuism. Marrying too early is not good.

phantom_opera
23-06-13, 12:19
ST running out of choice Liao
Might as well interview yowetan

DKSG
23-06-13, 12:29
Since we are at this topic and since this website is related to the media let me air my views on this.

Media has a responsibility in shaping the country. Especially for Singapore, whereby we have only 1 newspaper, MANY MANY people really wonder what is the social objective SPH is trying to achieve by publishing this kinda articles ?

To encourage youngsters to take money from parents to invest ? Create an expectation that parents should be giving money to their children to "retire by 35"?

Instead of having such deviant section in the newspaper, SPH should consider publishing news of how the rich are helping the poor, highlight youngsters who knows how to give it back to the society at young age. Glorify the kind and compassionate lot instead of encouraging materialism and senseless money money money articles.

To all those owning properties and reading this : Please do something for the less fortunate in our society. For every dollar of luxury goods you buy, I hope u can donate 10% equivalent to help the poor, of course, the more the merrier.

DKSG

Khng8
23-06-13, 12:29
I find his trading strategy very aggressive.
Win big lose big type - the trading gold example he cited as his best investment

sherlock
23-06-13, 12:45
I'm no fan of anyone who has barely started working but aims to retire by 35. :tongue3:

There are people who deserves to be interviewed than this Atas guy. Singapore no 人才 meh?

mygeemeel
23-06-13, 12:58
Lately i dont see yowetan. I am sure he is using another nick. :D

Agree. ST should interview yowetan.
1. How to fit 9 pax into 2 bedder unit.
2. How to train to have thick skin to collect rental from in laws and parents.
3. How to divulge his bank's activities and cause panic.

I know someone here is from ST. Why won't you consider interviewing him? :47:

phantom_opera
23-06-13, 13:15
@dksg u speak my mind, well said

hyenergix
23-06-13, 13:16
Since we are at this topic and since this website is related to the media let me air my views on this.

Media has a responsibility in shaping the country. Especially for Singapore, whereby we have only 1 newspaper, MANY MANY people really wonder what is the social objective SPH is trying to achieve by publishing this kinda articles ?

To encourage youngsters to take money from parents to invest ? Create an expectation that parents should be giving money to their children to "retire by 35"?

Instead of having such deviant section in the newspaper, SPH should consider publishing news of how the rich are helping the poor, highlight youngsters who knows how to give it back to the society at young age. Glorify the kind and compassionate lot instead of encouraging materialism and senseless money money money articles.

To all those owning properties and reading this : Please do something for the less fortunate in our society. For every dollar of luxury goods you buy, I hope u can donate 10% equivalent to help the poor, of course, the more the merrier.

DKSG

Reality is boring. Fantasy is more exciting. Everyone wants money fast. However there will be quite a number of youngsters who will make it big this way with parents' generous help. The social gap is widening.

phantom_opera
23-06-13, 13:31
Reality is boring. Fantasy is more exciting. Everyone wants money fast. However there will be quite a number of youngsters who will make it big this way with parents' generous help. The social gap is widening.
more like gamble away parents hard earned savings lah

chiaberry
23-06-13, 14:02
Agree with DKSG and phantom:

I am not sure that people should be led into thinking that it is "easy" to make big $$$ within a short space of time. For one such success story, there must be many times that number of failures. For the methods that easily make capital gains, the risks are also proportionately higher and it is even easier to make big losses if your "bet" is in the wrong direction.

I am concerned that parents who are retirees might be more readily persuaded by their offspring to part with their hard-earned $$$ due to these articles on youngsters who have succeeded.

Our local workforce is already so limited, what is going to happen if many young people prefer to be "investors" and "entrepreneurs" rather than taking conventional jobs?

yowetan
23-06-13, 14:09
I am waiting for a crash so I can enter into my Mt Sinai.

I think Ben and the MAS are helping my cause now.

CondoWE
23-06-13, 14:13

Do you have anything NEW beside saying the same statement flooding all over the forum here :doh: ?

minority
23-06-13, 14:14
I'm no fan of anyone who has barely started working but aims to retire by 35. :tongue3:

There are people who deserves to be interviewed than this Atas guy. Singapore no 人才 meh?

not many people like to be interview and featured leh.

minority
23-06-13, 14:21

I am not sure that people should be led into thinking that it is "easy" to make big $$$ within a short space of time. For one such success story, there must be many times that number of failures. For the methods that easily make capital gains, the risks are also proportionately higher and it is even easier to make big losses if your "bet" is in the wrong direction.

I am concerned that parents who are retirees might be more readily persuaded by their offspring to part with their hard-earned $$$ due to these articles on youngsters who have succeeded.

Our local workforce is already so limited, what is going to happen if many young people prefer to be "investors" and "entrepreneurs" rather than taking conventional jobs?

Actually on the contrary. it spur discussion. No body will take this at face value. People will evaluate it. if every week after week are old successful people. How would the younger generation connect ? to see the article is positive or negative is to each individual .

Do you mean once someone read this will straight away follow? No wat. people will think abt it.

like all here think its stupid. and wasteful of youth. So do give the youth generation a benefit of doubt.

All complain we live in a nanny state. yet when we all expect everything to be "Guided"

lol. I take this article as a generic snap shop of people out there. mean to show the spectrum of people investing. the younger , the middle age and the older folk.

After all its a invest column not a morality column. Want morality go read a bible or something.

that's my take

yowetan
23-06-13, 14:31
Do you have anything NEW beside saying the same statement flooding all over the forum here :doh: ?

I am been consistent.

Arcachon
23-06-13, 14:43
After independent, Singapore need lot of workers for MNCs so most of the people are train to work and not to think. When MNCs start to move to China and India we can't carry on training our children to work and not think(dream).

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~stockman/CV/engineersSSRN-id1081923.pdf

teddybear
23-06-13, 15:29
You can't fault the young too.

Conventional jobs like engineering are getting paid much less now while even doctors and lawyers income have become much less compared to the hours put in and not as easy to earn money as compared to investment, banking, financial sector, sales etc.

Entrepreneurship are much more difficult now compared to early days because of the high start-up costs.

Even the establishment pay managers doing administrative jobs much more vs engineers. Is it any wonder that people now aspire to be traders, private bankers, or just plain sales (insurance agents, property agents, or whatever agents) and administrative jobs (top civil servants) for easier money?

chiaberry
23-06-13, 15:41
Yes.....that's why we have to "import" engineers, doctors, etc. Which tends towards some deterioration in the quality of the people delivering such services. I admit it's not uniformly across the board as there are some very very good foreign talents around. But there are also many who are not of a similar standard to a local graduate.

3C
23-06-13, 17:23
We need to be mindful why we want to set such objective. For the family or self. I have a friend with the same goal as this guy. Only difference he came from a not so rich background. Work 7 days a week hardly rest to expand his business. Too engross to reach his goal and forgotten about moral and ethics. One wrong step instead of retiring at 35 now retires in jail. Family also affected. Living a happy life not necessary means accumulate wealth. What's the point of having lots $ but with a broken family.

ysyap
23-06-13, 21:27
We need to be mindful why we want to set such objective. For the family or self. I have a friend with the same goal as this guy. Only difference he came from a not so rich background. Work 7 days a week hardly rest to expand his business. Too engross to reach his goal and forgotten about moral and ethics. One wrong step instead of retiring at 35 now retires in jail. Family also affected. Living a happy life not necessary means accumulate wealth. What's the point of having lots $ but with a broken family.Can't agree more. In one's pursuit of wealth, never forsake your kinship and ties. :cheers1:

Autumnwinds
23-06-13, 22:49

DKSG

Kudos to you. :cheers4:

In light of the recent haze, I take my hat off to the people who have pooled their money to purchase masks and giving them out to the less fortunate. This is the kind of behavior that we Singaporeans should be exhibiting.

Learner
23-06-13, 23:57
You can't fault the young too.

Conventional jobs like engineering are getting paid much less now while even doctors and lawyers income have become much less compared to the hours put in and not as easy to earn money as compared to investment, banking, financial sector, sales etc.

Entrepreneurship are much more difficult now compared to early days because of the high start-up costs.

Even the establishment pay managers doing administrative jobs much more vs engineers. Is it any wonder that people now aspire to be traders, private bankers, or just plain sales (insurance agents, property agents, or whatever agents) and administrative jobs (top civil servants) for easier money?

I feel that professional jobs such as engineers, lawyers, doctors and accountants will still be in demand in the future and so is safer. Traders, private bankers, sales are good jobs but their barriers of entry are lower and so can easily attract competition. i mean lawyers can be traders if they want to but traders without law training can never be lawyers.

For the lawyers, doctors and accountants, how much they earn will depend on their skills and value. The outstanding ones will definitely earn tons of money. But to hone their skills, they will have to work very hard in the beginning.

Pikachu1245
24-06-13, 00:21

Wow you are back finally. We thought you MIA.