PDA

View Full Version : Your Broadband Service Quality and Speed

CondoInterested
18-06-13, 22:35
Have you actually tested your broadband speed when it was first installed?

Have you tested it regularly to ensure you get what you pay for?

Please share both your good and bad experience.

CondoInterested
18-06-13, 22:54
Why I asked the above question.

I have subscribed to 2 service providers in 2 different locations, 1 cable, 1 fiber.

I have tested both when it was first installed, good, I get the speed I subscribe for when I tested it.

But recently I found out 1 of my lower / cheaper speed subscription get slower and slower. To be fair it is not stable with most of the time at the lower end of the speed, that is less then half or even lower than the promise speed. You can cut off the provider's crab that test it directly from the modem by passing the router, tried it, result also the same. After the complaint, speed recovers and I tested it hourly for few days. Slack a few days, test again, the slow speed comes back.

Because of the above, I also tested out the other of my faster subscription, didn't suspect this one because you cannot feel it is slow even it has half the speed. But the test result is shocking, I really get half the speed. again call this provider, the speed recovers, after a while, back again to the half speed.

I didn't subscribed to the third provider, maybe when my next home comes.

I suspect, but I maybe wrong, that they are doing some kind of bandwidth balancing, maybe existing infra unable to sustain the kind of subscription they have (again I maybe wrong), and also the balancing when wrong.

What do you people think, especially those who are in this line.

Oh, one last thing, beside the above 2 subscriptions I have, I still keep the old old 56.5kbps phone line subscription because I wanted to keep the email address. Ha ha, I tried dialing in, wow, the speed feels fantastic, seems like faster then my slower first subscription.

solsys
18-06-13, 23:29
Why I asked the above question.

I have subscribed to 2 service providers in 2 different locations, 1 cable, 1 fiber.

I have tested both when it was first installed, good, I get the speed I subscribe for when I tested it.

But recently I found out 1 of my lower / cheaper speed subscription get slower and slower. To be fair it is not stable with most of the time at the lower end of the speed, that is less then half or even lower than the promise speed. You can cut off the provider's crab that test it directly from the modem by passing the router, tried it, result also the same. After the complaint, speed recovers and I tested it hourly for few days. Slack a few days, test again, the slow speed comes back.

Because of the above, I also tested out the other of my faster subscription, didn't suspect this one because you cannot feel it is slow even it has half the speed. But the test result is shocking, I really get half the speed. again call this provider, the speed recovers, after a while, back again to the half speed.

I didn't subscribed to the third provider, maybe when my next home comes.

I suspect, but I maybe wrong, that they are doing some kind of bandwidth balancing, maybe existing infra unable to sustain the kind of subscription they have (again I maybe wrong), and also the balancing when wrong.

What do you people think, especially those who are in this line.

Oh, one last thing, beside the above 2 subscriptions I have, I still keep the old old 56.5kbps phone line subscription because I wanted to keep the email address. Ha ha, I tried dialing in, wow, the speed feels fantastic, seems like faster then my slower first subscription.

Bro, post your results with charts to SPH and get them to published in the Straits Times newspaper forum. Challenge the 3 telcos to post a reply. See which telco got the balls to answer or guarantee that their service doesn't do throttling of bandwidth..... hehe.

56kbps is faster would be a big joke and warrant readership interest.

CondoInterested
19-06-13, 00:46
Hey, I learn new word, throttling

CondoInterested
19-06-13, 01:07
Read more about throttling (http://www.howtogeek.com/165481/how-to-test-if-your-isp-is-throttling-your-internet-connection/)

This website (http://www.speedtest.net/) can help you to log your speed everytime you test.

NorthernStar
19-06-13, 07:03
I didn't try to see if the speed drop.. Maybe i can re-test again.. My fibre sometimes work very slow definitely the speed is wrong due to high data usage at certain time

For Singnet, they will recommend u to test the speed on their specific website. The reason they given is the web-hosting location is different which i tend to agree that.

I tried, the singnet website did show much faster speed than the speedtest.net.

http://speedtest.singnet.com.sg/

zzz1
19-06-13, 17:47
I didn't try to see if the speed drop.. Maybe i can re-test again.. My fibre sometimes work very slow definitely the speed is wrong due to high data usage at certain time

For Singnet, they will recommend u to test the speed on their specific website. The reason they given is the web-hosting location is different which i tend to agree that.

I tried, the singnet website did show much faster speed than the speedtest.net.

http://speedtest.singnet.com.sg/

sori for a noob question...
the test link, how do you interprete the reading , let say u have a 200 mbps fiber line...??what is a good range and what is a bad connection?

CondoInterested
19-06-13, 20:13
PING Downlaod Upload
40ms 9.16Mbps 1.00Mbps

Above test reading is from www.speedtest.net after testing.

My package is 10Mbps Download and 1Mbps Upload. So logically I should get minimum 10Mbps and 1Mbps. Ping should be smaller (means faster) better, the best I got is 10ms.

Tonight I am lucky, it hit 40ms and 9.16Mbps.

There are time I even get like 1Mbps Download and 100+ to 200+ ms at times. This you will see your surfing experience almost come to a halt.

The above is my low end Cable Plan, which is expensive now compare to the aggressive marketing by the Fiber Plans.

200Mbps looks like a fiber plan, my fiber plan is 100Mbps Download by 1 of the provider which also 100Mbps Upload. Tested got 50+Mbps Download and 60+Mbps Upload. This slow down practically cannot be felt at all compare to my Cable Plan.

ysyap
19-06-13, 21:02
Well, this is most certainly true from my experience too. Somehow speed just slows down over time for no apparent reason. I believe this is the drawback that all ISPs fail to inform clients, i.e. assuming that this is the normal and expected outcome over time. Well it doesn't make sense to keep calling in to inform them and asking them to bring back the promised speed. This is likened to the fact that we pay our managing agent to look after our condo but we residents are the ones who are looking out for defects, etc. OR we have police stations all around our island but it is the people who are catching thieves and handing them over to the police. Doesn't make sense at all! :banghead:

CondoInterested
19-06-13, 21:04
Here is the readings just in the past short 1 hour.

zzz1
19-06-13, 21:24
PING Downlaod Upload
40ms 9.16Mbps 1.00Mbps

Above test reading is from www.speedtest.net after testing.

My package is 10Mbps Download and 1Mbps Upload. So logically I should get minimum 10Mbps and 1Mbps. Ping should be smaller (means faster) better, the best I got is 10ms.

Tonight I am lucky, it hit 40ms and 9.16Mbps.

There are time I even get like 1Mbps Download and 100+ to 200+ ms at times. This you will see your surfing experience almost come to a halt.

The above is my low end Cable Plan, which is expensive now compare to the aggressive marketing by the Fiber Plans.

200Mbps looks like a fiber plan, my fiber plan is 100Mbps Download by 1 of the provider which also 100Mbps Upload. Tested got 50+Mbps Download and 60+Mbps Upload. This slow down practically cannot be felt at all compare to my Cable Plan.

Oh..tks for the effort taken to explain.. I shall try. ..