PDA

View Full Version : Nine new direct bus services to the city from January next year

hyenergix
14-06-13, 07:20
I thought there is something wrong with my eyes this morning :scared-5: LTA is also becoming a bus operator that contracts out bus services? This is a very big shift in land transport policy.

Nine new direct bus services to the city from January next year
Published on Jun 13, 2013

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will roll out nine new City Direct bus services from January next year, to give commuters an additional travelling option to the city.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/nine-new-direct-bus-services-the-city-january-next-year-20130613

leesg123
14-06-13, 07:55
I thought there is something wrong with my eyes this morning :scared-5: LTA is also becoming a bus operator that contracts out bus services? This is a very big shift in land transport policy.

Nine new direct bus services to the city from January next year
Published on Jun 13, 2013

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will roll out nine new City Direct bus services from January next year, to give commuters an additional travelling option to the city.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/nine-new-direct-bus-services-the-city-january-next-year-20130613
a positive move! less demand for personal cars, less strain on mrt during peak hrs.

kane
14-06-13, 08:46
This will come in handy if they are to overhaul certain sections of the mrt track.

TheOnlyGayInTheVillage
14-06-13, 08:47
Probably means it is initiative pushed by LTA. They did mention to be run by private operator, most likely comfort delgro.

These estates were mentioned: Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Bukit Batok, Eunos, Hougang, Jurong East, Sembawang, Sengkang and West Coast.

Can we extrapolate then non-mentioned estates are actually considered 'close to cbd'?

phantom_opera
14-06-13, 08:53
won't be cheap ... private operators do not have economic of scale like SBS or SMRT

school bus is a good example, the current going rate is like > 100 per month for within 2km

so be prepared to pay $3-$4 bus fare for direct access to CBD via highway

hyenergix
14-06-13, 09:35
Probably means it is initiative pushed by LTA. They did mention to be run by private operator, most likely comfort delgro.

These estates were mentioned: Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Bukit Batok, Eunos, Hougang, Jurong East, Sembawang, Sengkang and West Coast.

Can we extrapolate then non-mentioned estates are actually considered 'close to cbd'?

I think LTA is taking a hands-on approach since most of the public transport quality is crashing. We should be expecting more of such services if this pilot run turns out to be successful.

hyenergix
14-06-13, 09:36
won't be cheap ... private operators do not have economic of scale like SBS or SMRT

school bus is a good example, the current going rate is like > 100 per month for within 2km

so be prepared to pay $3-$4 bus fare for direct access to CBD via highway

$3-4 is very cheap compared to cars and cabs. The ERP itself is already around there one-way.

phantom_opera
14-06-13, 09:44
$3-4 is very cheap compared to cars and cabs. The ERP itself is already around there one-way.

as of now and going forward, only rich can own cars so I guess LTA is planning for the future shock ;)

mark my words, petrol will be $3 10y later, COE 80-100k is the norm rather than the exception, competition for resources of 1 billion middle class from China/India/Mexico/Brazil is no joke .. this has not counted Indons, if they continue to grow 6% GDP for 10y, it will be even more competitive

chiaberry
14-06-13, 09:51
Thank goodness that 10 y later there will be new MRT stations around my home. But will be a tough 10 y of construction. :simmering: