PDA

View Full Version : I'm not buying a home in Iskandar

reporter2
12-06-13, 19:06
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/sunday/premium/invest/story/im-not-buying-home-iskandar-20130609

I'm not buying a home in Iskandar

But I may consider investing there when commercial activity picks up and prices come down

Published on Jun 09, 2013

By Yasmine Yahya

I have visited Iskandar Malaysia seven or eight times this year to write about the development, prompting friends and others to ask the inevitable question: Have you bought a house there yet?

The short answer is: No.

I have met many happy people who have bought homes in Iskandar; some more than one, while others are looking to buy their second or third property.

I don't think they're foolish or wrong but I will not be joining their ranks any time soon.

Singaporeans and Singapore-based expatriates are buying homes in Iskandar for two main reasons: to live in a low-cost and spacious environment or to invest in what could be a boom town for property.

I don't really want to do either of those things.

For starters, I think we are at a point where it is either too late or too early to jump into the market.

Property prices in Iskandar have doubled or even tripled in the past two to three years. True, homes are still much cheaper than in Singapore, but a good investment is not one that is merely cheap, but one that holds great potential value.

Several bankers and property consultants I have spoken to have even started calling the area's property market a bubble.

In fact, they noted, prices in Iskandar - population 1.3 million - are already level with those in Kuala Lumpur, yet Kuala Lumpur is a mature city where multinationals place their offices and expat staff.

If there is a city in Malaysia where you could most easily get rental income, it would be Kuala Lumpur.

Iskandar's commercial scene, on the other hand, has yet to take off. The multinational firms already doing business there are mainly operating out of factories and hire blue-collar workers.

These companies are more interested in renting dormitories for their workers than swanky apartments for themselves while the bosses are buying their own homes.

For now, a lot of hope is being pinned on Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios, the Nusajaya offshoot of the British film studio that produced the James Bond and Harry Potter movies.

It is expected to create a constant pool of transitory workers that will fill the rental market once it opens next month. The firm said it will create 1,500 jobs by the end of the year.

It will then bring in a stream of actors, directors and other movie production professionals, all of whom will need housing in Iskandar while shooting films for months at a stretch.

This will likely create some demand for rental accommodation, but Pinewood Studios remains the only big commercial player to start operations soon.

Many others, such as billionaire Peter Lim's Motorsports City and Afiniti Medini, which will have a hospital and a corporate training centre, are still years away.

In the meantime, there are now 430,000 homes in Iskandar, with 64,000 more under construction and still much more land that is yet to be developed.

I would consider investing in Iskandar in the future but I would first like to see a pickup in commercial activity there, and for prices to come down to more reasonable levels.

Of course, many people are buying houses in Iskandar as getaway homes, but I don't want to live in Iskandar because I don't drive and I don't want to get a driving licence.

Many of its new and sparkly housing developments are in Nusajaya, a former jungle that has been cleared - yet much of it is still empty and amenities are spread out.

There is one public bus that comes by hourly. If you are in a hurry or want to go somewhere not along the bus route, you would have to drive.

The Iskandar residents I have interviewed say they enjoy the peace and quiet of the place and the fact that there are no crowds, unlike in Singapore.

But I like living in a city. I enjoy the constant buzz and excitement of city life while my flat gives me all the peace and quiet I need.

Plus, if I move to Iskandar, wouldn't I be contributing towards a more crowded Johor?

I'm looking at this over the long term. Eventually, more and more Singaporeans will move across the Causeway to retire in the house of their dreams.

I will still be in Singapore, enjoying empty MRT seats and reading a book in peace and quiet.

[email protected]

Arcachon
12-06-13, 20:00
Singaporeans and Singapore-based expatriates are buying homes in Iskandar for two main reasons: to live in a low-cost and spacious environment. And cheap education (international school)

dare2
12-06-13, 20:06
Singaporeans and Singapore-based expatriates are buying homes in Iskandar for two main reasons: to live in a low-cost and spacious environment. And cheap education (international school)

Malborough College is actually more expensive than UWC...but they do have sprawling purpose built campus....

actually some discussion on this report have been made over at Misc>Malaysia Properties...

hyenergix
12-06-13, 20:49
As to her question if she is too early or too late, it also depends on e purpose n ready cash.

My assessment is e current bull run for landed is abt 50-60% point before it slows down significantly in 2016/2017 but landed will continue to enjoy comfortable appreciation thereafter. For condos near 1st n 2nd link, they r prob abt 70-80% of e peak n there is a chance of bubble in 2016/2017 judging from e profile of e buyers.

The more interesting part is e RTS (if implemented by 2020) which will kick start another round of bull run for properties in tt station area in JB (same goes for e area in SG). In addition, if our SMEs move over there in bigger number, more international companies join in n JB govt decides to go ahead w its MRT/LRT plan, then this will lead to constant capital n rental appreciation.

In short, I think price correction is unlikely for landed, n if e right location is selected for either landed or condo, e value will continue to climb.

focus
12-06-13, 21:08
A malaysian property investor/guru said he rather buy landed housing in areas with local demand rather than those condos(especially must avoid) and landed in area marketed to foreigners(esp. singaporeans) with the mm2h programme. Of course, he is a malaysia with access to those area. I'm not sure whether singaporeans can buy those area(how many international lots are open up) if landed are priced >$500k up.

Think this discussion is quite similar to the one we have in singapore about whether CCR or OCR is good.

From the heartlander point of view, one of the argument for OCR is it is well-supported by the local demand while CCR is based on speculative demand by foreigners.

dare2
12-06-13, 21:34
Now if everyone is moving to JB...so good upside for property there, right?....if train is empty, Sg would be a ghost town liao???? Maybe she is thinking there will be reversal of role when that happen...and if she stays, she would then be the pioneer here and when people find JB getting crowded and expensive they will start coming back to Sg then she would huat with a string of Sg properties....

hyenergix
13-06-13, 01:42
Actually there now a lot of things for family fun in Johor at more affordable cost. The only thing is personal safety, which I hope that will be improved given the economic importance of Iskandar to Johor. Traffic jams at the 1st and 2nd links are getting worse, which is a good sign (as long as you are not in them).

Sunway eyes 2 theme parks in Iskandar
Jun 11, 2013

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-news/2013/6/9650/sunway-eyes-2-theme-parks-in-iskandar

alamak
13-06-13, 08:29
Actually there now a lot of things for family fun in Johor at more affordable cost. The only thing is personal safety, which I hope that will be improved given the economic importance of Iskandar to Johor. Traffic jams at the 1st and 2nd links are getting worse, which is a good sign (as long as you are not in them).

Sunway eyes 2 theme parks in Iskandar
Jun 11, 2013

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-news/2013/6/9650/sunway-eyes-2-theme-parks-in-iskandar

The Ali baba and 49 thieves will never leave the golden goose of Iskandar ...
:doh: Who are the Ali baba(s) ??? :scared-4:

kane
13-06-13, 09:13
A malaysian property investor/guru said he rather buy landed housing in areas with local demand rather than those condos(especially must avoid) and landed in area marketed to foreigners(esp. singaporeans) with the mm2h programme. Of course, he is a malaysia with access to those area. I'm not sure whether singaporeans can buy those area(how many international lots are open up) if landed are priced >$500k up.

Think this discussion is quite similar to the one we have in singapore about whether CCR or OCR is good.

From the heartlander point of view, one of the argument for OCR is it is well-supported by the local demand while CCR is based on speculative demand by foreigners.

Local demand provides a more realistic base to the property prices.

Rysk
13-06-13, 09:53

I will still be in Singapore, enjoying empty MRT seats and reading a book in peace and quiet.

[email protected]

NB!! come 2030.. without this design.. how to find empty MRT seats leh :D
http://imageshack.us/a/img824/6194/poreby2030.jpg

Rysk
13-06-13, 12:17
By 2030 if she can find a seat any time of the day.. I salute to her :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/4816/singapore2030.jpg

dare2
15-06-13, 17:17
....the young lady guru has another article published in ST today.....she is now casting doubt on the claims on Iskandar's property sales because she couldn't find data to substantiate the claims by developers.....

lajia
15-06-13, 17:26
dubai is a lesson for many if some have not yet learned...without domestic demand, it is way too dangerous and risky.

hyenergix
15-06-13, 22:20
....the young lady guru has another article published in ST today.....she is now casting doubt on the claims on Iskandar's property sales because she couldn't find data to substantiate the claims by developers.....

The data is actually quite easily obtainable from propertyguru or iproperty, and internet forums. Then you can make a few visits to showflats or calls/emails to the developers' office to verify. That is all that is needed to capture the information required since (I feel) Johor property market is much easier to understand than Singapore property market.

As the information is still not very efficiently disseminated to the public, sometimes it is the developers or sellers themselves who are not very sure of setting what price to maximise profit, so it can be to property hunters' advantage.

fiat500
16-06-13, 00:40
Don't forget staying in iskandar as yr weekend home or holiday home u will definitely need a car to move around cos public transport is not easily accessible or if it exist at all..
N u will need a singapore registered car too which will be very costly..

hyenergix
16-06-13, 00:43
Don't forget staying in iskandar as yr weekend home or holiday home u will definitely need a car to move around cos public transport is not easily accessible or if it exist at all..
N u will need a singapore registered car too which will be very costly..

I would recommend buying near nodes of transport e.g. near CW or Larkin bus routes or future LRT/MRT lines in Johor. My bet is once the RTS is up, the Johor government is likely to build the network that links to the RTS according to the transportation plan.

fiat500
16-06-13, 01:07
I would recommend buying near nodes of transport e.g. near CW or Larkin bus routes or future LRT/MRT lines in Johor. My bet is once the RTS is up, the Johor government is likely to build the network that links to the RTS according to the transportation plan.
Malaysian public transportation not trustworthy at all...
Good example is the public transport in KL now..It's atrocious! :doh:
U will definitely need a singapore registered car to move around in johor n that is not cheap!

hyenergix
16-06-13, 01:14
Malaysian public transportation not trustworthy at all...
Good example is the public transport in KL now..It's atrocious! :doh:
U will definitely need a singapore registered car to move around in johor n that is not cheap!

Better option is to take public transport up (the CW buses should be quite okay) then drive your own JB car, if car ownership in SG is really difficult.

fiat500
16-06-13, 01:24
Better option is to take public transport up (the CW buses should be quite okay) then drive your own JB car, if car ownership in SG is really difficult.
Too much hassle.....
U will need a singapore car to live in johor.

hyenergix
16-06-13, 01:39
Too much hassle.....

If you are a Singaporean.

fiat500
16-06-13, 02:47
If you are a Singaporean.
Yes of course..
That's y it's advisable for singaporeans to consider carefully b4 buying into iskandar..
Transportation will be the main concern.

hyenergix
16-06-13, 07:54
These sort of incidences in Singapore is making Bukit Indah seems safer (serious!):

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/20-year-old-victim-slashing-incident-orchard-cineleisure-rushed-sgh-20

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/student-slashed-stranger-she-helped-ang-mo-kio-20130615

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/two-stolen-bicycles-recovered-and-returned-their-owners-because-police

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/dengue-cases-edge-closer-10000-mark-year-20130616

dare2
16-06-13, 08:08
Too much hassle.....
...you are right most people who bought are those who are mobile and able to drive around JB, but do note that many have the intention to retire there, so may not neccessary need to have a Sg plate eventually...otherwise they can consider weekend car for their drive to their weekend home.....in any case if you think its a hassle then its not the right kind of investment to you.....just like many who complained being stuck in the jam from East to West in their daily commute to and from work - which works out to longer time taken as compared to the commute from Bt Indah to the West region...but still think its a hassle to move to JB....the cost of being stuck in Sg jam on Sg petrol price can more than be compensated by the cost of Msia petrol price minus toll and distance travelled.

hyenergix
16-06-13, 08:25
For most young families currently, it is the schools for their children that is holding them back.

fiat500
16-06-13, 12:05
...you are right most people who bought are those who are mobile and able to drive around JB, but do note that many have the intention to retire there, so may not neccessary need to have a Sg plate eventually...otherwise they can consider weekend car for their drive to their weekend home.....in any case if you think its a hassle then its not the right kind of investment to you.....just like many who complained being stuck in the jam from East to West in their daily commute to and from work - which works out to longer time taken as compared to the commute from Bt Indah to the West region...but still think its a hassle to move to JB....the cost of being stuck in Sg jam on Sg petrol price can more than be compensated by the cost of Msia petrol price minus toll and distance travelled.
Even if u intend to retire there, u will still need to come back to sg frequently i m pretty sure..
Your family, luv ones, relatives, close friends are in sg. U will need to do yr banking in sg, u miss sg food, u hv to buy yr 4d, toto, yr weekly badminton, karaoke sessions n many other nitty gritty activities..... Once u are retired from working life, it does mean yr activities stop!
End of the day,u gotta hv a sg registered car to live in jb.. :D

lajia
16-06-13, 13:09
i totally agree....which is why i think the market there is very untested. many is using retirement as excuse...buy now later if cannot sell just take it as retirement home la.

ask yourself, when you retire, what do you want most? shopping mall? lego land? what else is there, i really can't think of any....

so, many singaporeans will not be used to that kind of life, I'm not saying 100%, but most of them.

it is just not realistic. many who migrate to australia for retirement will tell you their stories if their make their way back here...:o :2cents:

families & friends....makes the most of your life.

Even if u intend to retire there, u will still need to come back to sg frequently i m pretty sure..
Your family, luv ones, relatives, close friends are in sg. U will need to do yr banking in sg, u miss sg food, u hv to buy yr 4d, toto, yr weekly badminton, karaoke sessions n many other nitty gritty activities..... Once u are retired from working life, it does mean yr activities stop!

dare2
16-06-13, 16:18
...wah u still q up at bank and waste time there?......they have 4d and toto tehre also what and malaysian food not that far off Sg food...ur families can visit u also....anyway dun tell me u will still visit ur families every day one...they also got their work and other activities...feel like it can drive malaysia car down to Malacca for day trip or hop on HSR to KL....but of course for someone with your mentality...do stay in Sg and continue queing up at bank to pass time when u retire....

dare2
16-06-13, 16:22
:doh: :doh: :doh:
i totally agree....which is why i think the market there is very untested. many is using retirement as excuse...buy now later if cannot sell just take it as retirement home la.

ask yourself, when you retire, what do you want most? shopping mall? lego land? what else is there, i really can't think of any....

so, many singaporeans will not be used to that kind of life, I'm not saying 100%, but most of them.

it is just not realistic. many who migrate to australia for retirement will tell you their stories if their make their way back here...:o :2cents:

families & friends....makes the most of your life.
hahaha JB is just 30-and hour drive away...just like driving from Jurong to Punngol not like gotta fly for 6 hours to australia....those who bought for retirement...why would they want to sell? U do not talk sense here lah....

fiat500
16-06-13, 17:24
...wah u still q up at bank and waste time there?......they have 4d and toto tehre also what and malaysian food not that far off Sg food...ur families can visit u also....anyway dun tell me u will still visit ur families every day one...they also got their work and other activities...feel like it can drive malaysia car down to Malacca for day trip or hop on HSR to KL....but of course for someone with your mentality...do stay in Sg and continue queing up at bank to pass time when u retire....
U have your views n i have mine.
It would be better n tactful to state your own opinions n avoid using words like "your mentality" n being sarcastic in your remarks ..no point having personal attacks..
Here friendly discussion is in the best interest for everyone here.. :cheers4:

lajia
16-06-13, 17:34
Don't need to be too defensive bro...u can choose to bring your passport to visit your friends and families everyday, that doesn't make sense too...that's your choice. :D I'm not going to dispute that.

I prefer to go downstairs or nearby and have my kopi with my friends with a phone call anytime...;)

And by the way, even woodland go to JB passing thru the custom would take minimum 30 min when the traffic is fantastic....not to mentioned u need to choose the timing of the day if u know what I mean.

:doh: :doh: :doh:
hahaha JB is just 30-and hour drive away...just like driving from Jurong to Punngol not like gotta fly for 6 hours to australia....those who bought for retirement...why would they want to sell? U do not talk sense here lah....

dare2
16-06-13, 19:30
Don't need to be too defensive bro...u can choose to bring your passport to visit your friends and families everyday, that doesn't make sense too...that's your choice. :D I'm not going to dispute that.

I prefer to go downstairs or nearby and have my kopi with my friends with a phone call anytime...;)

And by the way, even woodland go to JB passing thru the custom would take minimum 30 min when the traffic is fantastic....not to mentioned u need to choose the timing of the day if u know what I mean.
wah twisting around using defensive insinuation...old tricks hahahaha......I do not need to visit my families everyday.... i do not need to drink kopi with friends everyday, I have a much fuller life plan lah.....JB is so much larger for one to explore......I can still do all my projects thru video conferencing with my client .....not gonna be a retiree who just waste the days away doing nothing but que up at bank and drink kopi with all the ah peks....

dare2
16-06-13, 19:33
U have your views n i have mine.
It would be better n tactful to state your own opinions n avoid using words like "your mentality" n being sarcastic in your remarks ..no point having personal attacks..
Here friendly discussion is in the best interest for everyone here.. :cheers4:
...sorry that you took it personally, how to survive on a forum if u so sensitive one....I do not believe in being tactful lah who cares whether u don't like what I said that u do not like....you say your pieces all over also, do not be so condescending and sounding so pure here......who are you kidding....

lajia
16-06-13, 21:15
you sounds so childish.....ah peks....u will grow old one day. and from what u say either u are very selfish or u dont have many friends or not at all...:2cents: i dont think i need to be sensitive here since u are not.:ashamed1:

twisting what?? i dont need to do that, no need to even if u disagree. every one has their view and i dont need you to agree.

face it kid...

wah twisting around using defensive insinuation...old tricks hahahaha......I do not need to visit my families everyday.... i do not need to drink kopi with friends everyday, I have a much fuller life plan lah.....JB is so much larger for one to explore......I can still do all my projects thru video conferencing with my client .....not gonna be a retiree who just waste the days away doing nothing but que up at bank and drink kopi with all the ah peks....

dare2
16-06-13, 21:17
you sounds so childish.....ah peks....u will grow old one day. and from what u say either u are very selfish or u dont have many friends or not at all...:2cents: i dont think i need to be sensitive here since u are not.:ashamed1:

twisting what?? i dont need to do that, no need to even if u disagree. every one has their view and i dont need you to agree.

face it kid...
I definitely do not need to have friend around me all the time..too many lah....selfish? hahahha its ok u may think what you want.......haha its ok Ah Kong.....enjoy your kopi...

leesg123
17-06-13, 00:20

face it kid...
be understanding towards him lah... precisely he could not afford to retire happily in singapore and hence have to venture into iskandar to seek his happiness. to be honest, things are expensive in sg and u need to be earning certain level of income to retire here happily. so lets be more understanding to the less fortunate brothers and sisters of singapore. let us enjoy our kopi in sg and let them enjoy their gardening in jb. everypne happy. as what people always say, if u cant afford it, pls go away.

fiat500
17-06-13, 01:38
...sorry that you took it personally, how to survive on a forum if u so sensitive one....I do not believe in being tactful lah who cares whether u don't like what I said that u do not like....you say your pieces all over also, do not be so condescending and sounding so pure here......who are you kidding....
I am also sorry that u are being not so sensitive to others..
That could be the reason u dont hv many friends or if u hv any at all ...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dare2
17-06-13, 07:13
I am also sorry that u are being not so sensitive to others..
That could be the reason u dont hv many friends or if u hv any at all ...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

hahhahahhahahaha its ok.....yes I am so poor I don't think I could not afford to drink kopi and TCSS with the ah kong and ah ma .....

leesg123
17-06-13, 12:51
hahhahahhahahaha its ok.....yes I am so poor I don't think I could not afford to drink kopi and TCSS with the ah kong and ah ma .....
its ok, we understand one. u take care when in JB living your dreams. enjoy while it last.

dare2
17-06-13, 13:08
its ok, we understand one. u take care when in JB living your dreams. enjoy while it last.

Tks for your concern Uncle Lee, nothing last forever. I will be careful...go and put your money on J got fd court,MRT,...very convenient for retirees....but do look out for starngers holding a rock behind your back...and for heaven sake do not be too helpful with starngers asking for direction.....also avoid hangouts where the youngt and restless chill out with kitchen knife tucked in their back poskets....

Rysk
17-06-13, 14:45
Whether retire or semi retire or just a weekend home in JB.. actually is up to individual.. so no comment

As for me.. maybe by 10-yrs time I can have enough passive income to retire comfortably in JB. But if I continue to stay in S'pore.. maybe I'll have to continue to work for another 10-yrs or maybe need to work till my last day.. that I'm not sure when I can start retire comfortably over here

My 4x4 kakis from Msia all mostly are the retirees or semi-retirees in their 40s & 50s.. everyday chio me go drink kopi, play golf, etc.. But I know I can't cos I have to work & work & work, & weekend have to spend time with my family & sometimes relatives/frens in S'pore

But let's say one day if I really retire in JB.. then I'll have lots of time go drink kopi with my Msian 4x4 kakis over the weekdays (cos most of my S'pore relative & frens got work & work & work very tired:D )
Then when come to PH & weekends.. I'll come back drink kopi with them.. cos I believe they are free over the weekend

hyenergix
17-06-13, 15:05
Whether retire or semi retire or just a weekend home in JB.. actually is up to individual.. so no comment

As for me.. maybe by 10-yrs time I can have enough passive income to retire comfortably in JB. But if I continue to stay in S'pore.. maybe I'll have to continue to work for another 10-yrs or maybe need to work till my last day.. that I'm not sure when I can start retire comfortably over here

My 4x4 kakis from Msia all mostly are the retirees or semi-retirees in their 40s & 50s.. everyday chio me go drink kopi, play golf, etc.. But I know I can't cos I have to work & work & work, & weekend have to spend time with my family & sometimes relatives/frens in S'pore

But let's say one day if I really retire in JB.. then I'll have lots of time go drink kopi with my Msian 4x4 kakis over the weekdays (cos most of my S'pore relative & frens got work & work & work very tired:D )
Then when come to PH & weekends.. I'll come back drink kopi with them.. cos I believe they are free over the weekend

I'm seriously looking forward to everday driving around Malaysia to see waterfalls, swim in pristine beaches, eat fruits freshly plucked from the farms, eat local good food etc. But that one got to wait for full retirement. Singapore is super crowded, boring and expensive.

leesg123
17-06-13, 16:20
Tks for your concern Uncle Lee, nothing last forever. I will be careful...go and put your money on J got fd court,MRT,...very convenient for retirees....but do look out for starngers holding a rock behind your back...and for heaven sake do not be too helpful with starngers asking for direction.....also avoid hangouts where the youngt and restless chill out with kitchen knife tucked in their back poskets....I will note that, just that from statistics, i will still be safer in sg for the time being.

dare2
17-06-13, 16:33
I will note that, just that from statistics, i will still be safer in sg for the time being.

....don' be too sure:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/young-man-seriously-injured-in-slashing-attack-at-orchard-cineleisure-160145498.html

Excerpt:.......Eyewitnesses also spoke of a separate incident earlier in the evening at the nearby *SCAPE, where a man wielding a knife was believed to be set upon by a group of other people.

He eventually walked off bleeding, but warned a shopkeeper who witnessed the incident not to call the police. It's not immediately clear if both incidents are related.

This is not the first time violence has occurred outside the mall, located along Grange Road in Somerset, part of Singapore's busy shopping district. A 23-year-old man had his head slammed into the ground after being attacked by a 22-year-old on the night of 28 December last year. The latter was on New Year's Eve charged in court.

...two beating incidents within hours....near each other....

Low Crime doesn't mean Low crime.......take care Uncle.

leesg123
17-06-13, 16:41
No problem, my old memory didnt say no crime, just that for every 1 crime in singapore, how many crimes are there in JB? anyway never mind, live one day at a time.

....don' be too sure:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/young-man-seriously-injured-in-slashing-attack-at-orchard-cineleisure-160145498.html

Excerpt:.......Eyewitnesses also spoke of a separate incident earlier in the evening at the nearby *SCAPE, where a man wielding a knife was believed to be set upon by a group of other people.

He eventually walked off bleeding, but warned a shopkeeper who witnessed the incident not to call the police. It's not immediately clear if both incidents are related.

This is not the first time violence has occurred outside the mall, located along Grange Road in Somerset, part of Singapore's busy shopping district. A 23-year-old man had his head slammed into the ground after being attacked by a 22-year-old on the night of 28 December last year. The latter was on New Year's Eve charged in court.

dare2
17-06-13, 16:46
No problem, my old memory didnt say no crime, just that for every 1 crime in singapore, how many crimes are there in JB? anyway never mind, live one day at a time.
Uncle....got read properly or not....Low crime doesn't mean Low crime.....got see all the Crime Alert in your Safe and Friendly neighbourhood or not?...ya true live one day at a time...you never know when someone is gonna knock you with a piece of rock....

fiat500
18-06-13, 00:19
Tks for your concern Uncle Lee, nothing last forever. I will be careful...go and put your money on J got fd court,MRT,...very convenient for retirees....but do look out for starngers holding a rock behind your back...and for heaven sake do not be too helpful with starngers asking for direction.....also avoid hangouts where the youngt and restless chill out with kitchen knife tucked in their back poskets....
Don't talk like that lah bro...
Why resort to all these kitchen knife tucked in back pockets?
Wa, u play terror ah? :D
We are not gangsters here, we are here just discussing about whether good to invest in johor bahru or not? Just friendly discussion...
All of us here have our own views n opinions, nobody is right or wrong!

teddybear
18-06-13, 00:25
I wonder for every crime reported in Johor, how many go unreported? This is quite common because the locals always said by the time police arrive (if they even arrive), the culprits will no longer be around, and they will never be caught! In addition, Malaysia big, many crimes may not even be reported in newspapers, especially because too common right? Why report same type of incidents again and again everyday? Too boring! Who want to read such newspapers? :doh: To attract readers, must report big and fresh news, like those recently happened in Singapore! :rolleyes:

Therefore, you comparison of how many crimes in Johor vs how many in Singapore as reported in newspapers is seriously flawed. :scared-1:

....don' be too sure:

dare2
18-06-13, 07:01
I wonder for every crime reported in Johor, how many go unreported? This is quite common because the locals always said by the time police arrive (if they even arrive), the culprits will no longer be around, and they will never be caught! In addition, Malaysia big, many crimes may not even be reported in newspapers, especially because too common right? Why report same type of incidents again and again everyday? Too boring! Who want to read such newspapers? :doh: To attract readers, must report big and fresh news, like those recently happened in Singapore! :rolleyes:

Therefore, you comparison of how many crimes in Johor vs how many in Singapore as reported in newspapers is seriously flawed. :scared-1:

....have you also wondered why there are so many Crime alert signs all over singapore of late? Have you ever wondered also if every crime is reported in Singapore? Your conjecture is also seriously flawed as it applies to Singapore too. Even at Estuary Condo, it has been suggested on one of the thread that 5 theft has occured even before most of the residents moved in...and there are police alert sign also....hahaha I am not defensive as I am vested on both sides, otherwise I am just slapping myself, but as was suggested by someone ...too bad I am too poor to drink kopi with my friends in Singapore and need to move to JB when I get old.....perhaps I will drive to Desaru for the natural beaches instead of teh fake Sentosa beach, or to Malacca for the fried oyster or hop on the HSR to check out the Megamall in KL instead of Jam pack Jem or Orchard....or when I want seafood I go check out my haunts in kukup instead of Jumbo seafood.....anyway keling can merged in with the crowds with a smattering of bahasa.....I can literally retire on my rental from my properties in Sg....but think I will take on freelance projects from the creative industries that complenents the Theme parks in Johore....poor me.....no more routine 9-5 ....and no more CPF contribution.....instead I will have to draw my monthly as kopi lui to minum kopi in JB sarabat stall.....

and yes...who wants to read newspaper....no real news....only if u weant entertainment like reruns on the TV.....I don't believe in helping rookie ignoramus who writes School-essays-type articles newspaper sales....maybe I should start a thread:

I am not buying newspaper in Singapore

hyenergix
18-06-13, 07:36

Crime rate is definitely higher in JB, but I suppose people just take precautions and accept the higher risk level, in exchange for other things like lower cost of living, housing, slower pace of life and higher social mobility (generally for PRs).

hopeful
18-06-13, 08:36
Crime rate is definitely higher in JB, but I suppose people just take precautions and accept the higher risk level, in exchange for other things like lower cost of living, housing, slower pace of life and higher social mobility (generally for PRs). i dont get this part about "higher social mobility (generally for PRs)".

dare2
18-06-13, 09:35
Don't talk like that lah bro...
Why resort to all these kitchen knife tucked in back pockets?
Wa, u play terror ah? :D
We are not gangsters here, we are here just discussing about whether good to invest in johor bahru or not? Just friendly discussion...
All of us here have our own views n opinions, nobody is right or wrong!
Please read carefully, no wonder u write nonsense with ur preconceived idea, not interested to play terror with u lah, stop putting twisted words in my mouth, ur the real terror here.

dare2
18-06-13, 09:39
i dont get this part about "higher social mobility (generally for PRs)".
Msian PRs in Jb are obviously more respected by their fellow msian than in sg by the locals here,

p3nboy
18-06-13, 10:01
....have you also wondered why there are so many Crime alert signs all over singapore of late? Have you ever wondered also if every crime is reported in Singapore? Your conjecture is also seriously flawed as it applies to Singapore too. Even at Estuary Condo, it has been suggested on one of the thread that 5 theft has occured even before most of the residents moved in...and there are police alert sign also....hahaha I am not defensive as I am vested on both sides, otherwise I am just slapping myself, but as was suggested by someone ...too bad I am too poor to drink kopi with my friends in Singapore and need to move to JB when I get old.....perhaps I will drive to Desaru for the natural beaches instead of teh fake Sentosa beach, or to Malacca for the fried oyster or hop on the HSR to check out the Megamall in KL instead of Jam pack Jem or Orchard....or when I want seafood I go check out my haunts in kukup instead of Jumbo seafood.....anyway keling can merged in with the crowds with a smattering of bahasa.....I can literally retire on my rental from my properties in Sg....but think I will take on freelance projects from the creative industries that complenents the Theme parks in Johore....poor me.....no more routine 9-5 ....and no more CPF contribution.....instead I will have to draw my monthly as kopi lui to minum kopi in JB sarabat stall.....

and yes...who wants to read newspaper....no real news....only if u weant entertainment like reruns on the TV.....I don't believe in helping rookie ignoramus who writes School-essays-type articles newspaper sales....maybe I should start a thread:

I am not buying newspaper in Singapore

How about further north, Ipoh hor fun and Penang Laksa?

hyenergix
18-06-13, 10:11
i dont get this part about "higher social mobility (generally for PRs)".

Much easier to use excess cash for investments or other luxuries in life:
(1) earn SGD and spend in MYR, and
(2) buy HDB for rental (previously allowed for many decades)

A S$4k salary can buy a freehold landed house and a car in Johor. You will be struggling with HDB payment and on survival mode in Singapore.

hopeful
18-06-13, 10:16

A S$4k salary can buy a freehold landed house and a car in Johor. You will be struggling with HDB payment and on survival mode in Singapore.

when you mention "higher social mobility (generally for PRs)", are you talking about Malaysian citizens who are Singapore PRs, or Singaporean citizens who are Malaysian PRs.

hyenergix
18-06-13, 10:20
when you mention "higher social mobility (generally for PRs)", are you talking about Malaysian citizens who are Singapore PRs, or Singaporean citizens who are Malaysian PRs.

Malaysian citizens who are Singapore PRs

mygeemeel
18-06-13, 11:01

Bro, can singaporeans who owned props in JB or anywhere in Msia be allowed to buy Msian registered car? Can guide me?

dare2
18-06-13, 11:05

How about further north, Ipoh hor fun and Penang Laksa?
Ya gd idea, can do an overnight, poss bat 5 hr drive to Ipoh n 7 hr to pg for a short weekend get away, can also go to east coast, or head for cool Kota tinggi.

dare2
18-06-13, 11:08
Bro, can singaporeans who owned props in JB or anywhere in Msia be allowed to buy Msian registered car? Can guide me?
Go to spammy boy forum on living in msia http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?119632-All-labout-cars-in-klMalaysia

Rysk
18-06-13, 12:16

Not sure about that

My fren who had obtained his MM2H recently.. told me that he just bought a brand new Toyota Land Cruiser at about RM300k.. & will be joining our 4x4 team from S'pore & Msia for a 45-days off-road driving tour up-north to China & Butan towards end of this year
http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/#!/Welcome

hyenergix
18-06-13, 12:23
Not sure about that

My fren who had obtained his MM2H recently.. told me that he just bought a brand new Toyota Land Cruiser at about RM300k.. & will be joining our 4x4 team from S'pore & Msia for a 45-days off-road driving tour up-north to China & Butan towards end of this year
http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/#!/Welcome

No need MM2H to buy J-plate car. Confirmed.

fiat500
18-06-13, 12:49
Please read carefully, no wonder u write nonsense with ur preconceived idea, not interested to play terror with u lah, stop putting twisted words in my mouth, ur the real terror here.
Likewise likewise..... :D

My rationale is straightforward: For singaporeans,u will need a singapore registerd car to live comfortably in jb ..unless u live a reclusive life (no friends,no luv 1s,no relatives in sg).... LOL :D

hyenergix
18-06-13, 12:53

My rationale is straightforward: For singaporeans,u will need a singapore registerd car to live comfortably in jb ..unless u live a reclusive life (no friends,no luv 1s,no relatives in sg).... LOL :D

No need lah. Just marry a Malaysian spouse and the spouse can drive a J-plate car into Singapore.

fiat500
18-06-13, 13:24
No need lah. Just marry a Malaysian spouse and the spouse can drive a J-plate car into Singapore.
Can ah?
Get rid of the present 1 n get a new young malaysian wife!
Sounds like a good idea... LOL :D

hyenergix
18-06-13, 13:27
Can ah?
Get rid of the present 1 n get a new young malaysian wife!
Sounds like a good idea... LOL :D

I don't advocate divorce. Just convert and add three more wives.

dare2
18-06-13, 13:47

haha you think everyone like you cannot afford a car is it? Still driving fiat 500? hahahha, nvm lah....stay on in your HDB so that you can feel safe.....or so you think.....

Rysk
18-06-13, 15:01

One of my fren (M'sian SPR) who is the boss of construction firm bought a J-plate Merc.. & employed a M'sian personal driver..

Fetch him to/fro office.. to project site in S'pore & JB.. sometimes fetch wife & kids.. go shopping go school.

He told me that is even cheaper than he own a Merc in S'pore & moreover need to self-drive by himself

dare2
18-06-13, 15:39
One of my fren (M'sian SPR) who is the boss of construction firm bought a J-plate Merc.. & employed a M'sian personal driver..

Fetch him to/fro office.. to project site in S'pore & JB.. sometimes fetch wife & kids.. go shopping go school.

He told me that is even cheaper than he own a Merc in S'pore & moreover need to self-drive by himself

haha, tks bro for the suggestion, ya maybe I will let go of my 2nd Sg car and get a nice J-plate car plus a driver to bring me over to Sg to have Kopi when i retire...otherwise someone who cannot afford a car keep look-me-no-up and label me recluse and selfish....and have no friends hahahahaha...think ave 70K SGD(saved fr COE) = 170K RM + saving in road tax/petrol/PARF/insurance should last me 10 years of salary for a driver....come to think of it, I should just give up both cars.....and get a J-plate merc or jaguar......since ave cars in sg is abt 100 plus K...but of course I would not do that...otherwise attract too much unwanted attention...just a simple saloon will do.....to go drink kopi-o.

mygeemeel
18-06-13, 19:23
Dare2... if you see someone flashing headlights at your behind. It probably is me. Bcos i like to flash at j plate.

Rysk
18-06-13, 19:37
Don't think Dare2 will know or even bother even you flash your headlight till your battery flat.. Cos he will be sitting behind reading newspaper or watching DVD movie..

Maybe he can help you relay your message to his personal driver & let him know :D

dare2
18-06-13, 22:37
Haha, it's just a humble saloon, possibly Korean, n I wld avoid peak hrs, so most hard working sg residents wld be in the office, I will just spirit in n out without fanfare n unnoticed, so bro flasher, u not likely to meet me on the rd.

fiat500
21-06-13, 00:11
Haha, it's just a humble saloon, possibly Korean, n I wld avoid peak hrs, so most hard working sg residents wld be in the office, I will just spirit in n out without fanfare n unnoticed, so bro flasher, u not likely to meet me on the rd.
That's y i said no car very hard to live in jb.. LOL

mygeemeel
21-06-13, 00:26
Sometimes i get stucked at 2nd link for more than 1 hr. Maybe they would expand thr 2nd link?

How long have you waited to cross 2nd link?

newbie11
21-06-13, 01:44
Who live in jb without a car?

dare2
21-06-13, 07:42
That's y i said no car very hard to live in jb.. LOL....oh poor thing, since you cannot afford a car, no choice lag have to stay in your palatial HDB....let others who can afford be free of the bondage....don't have to be envious...after all soon MRT will be empty as the reporter said....

hyenergix
21-06-13, 10:08
That's y i said no car very hard to live in jb.. LOL

Yes, I think it is very hard for city-dwellers like us to go without a car, even in Singapore. It is rather dangerous and tiring to walk (there are no even proper pathways to walk in well-developed places like Bukit Indah) and the public transport is still under-developed in JB. Buyers of properties in Johor for own stay should seriously consider their purhase again if they don't have cars or motorbikes.

I expect some improvements in public transport in JB in the next 5-10 years though, and the catalyst is the RTS at Woodlands. Currently now most parts of the plan are on paper only but things are moving as some contracts are being awarded recently and I understand the developers are lobbying for LRT/MRT station beside their projects: http://www.iskandarmalaysia.com.my/pdf/cdp/19._Chapter16_-_Transit_Oriented_Development.pdf

fiat500
22-06-13, 05:21
....oh poor thing, since you cannot afford a car, no choice lag have to stay in your palatial HDB....let others who can afford be free of the bondage....don't have to be envious...after all soon MRT will be empty as the reporter said....
I pity u...yr father n mother never teach u proper manners n etiquette during yr childhood days! Thats y u ended up like this!
Bad upbringing....LOL LOL LOL .:D :D :D

fiat500
22-06-13, 05:22
....oh poor thing, since you cannot afford a car, no choice lag have to stay in your palatial HDB....let others who can afford be free of the bondage....don't have to be envious...after all soon MRT will be empty as the reporter said....
I pity u...yr father n mother never teach u proper manners n etiquette during yr childhood days! Thats y u ended up like this!

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500
22-06-13, 05:23

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500
22-06-13, 05:24

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500
22-06-13, 05:25

fiat500
22-06-13, 05:26

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500

fiat500
22-06-13, 05:27
I pity u...yr father n mother never teach u proper manners n etiquette during yr childhood days! Thats y u ended up like this being an asshole.

fiat500
22-06-13, 05:27

dare2
22-06-13, 07:03
Well, I guess it's typical to resort to this kind of response for immature person who is at lost at how to respond when cornered, don't be envious, work harder n maybe one day you may afford a small car to start with.

dare2
22-06-13, 07:07
You sounds like a bad record repeating gibberish, my sympathy to you for being deprived n have to resort to this.

dare2
22-06-13, 08:00
btw ...could see that you are green with envy with the greenies icon.....or are u turning green because u are upset?

fiat500
22-06-13, 11:10

dare2
23-06-13, 07:04
......when when one runs out of reasons to counter argue, this is a typical response.....don't be bitter, just work harder and you will maybe one day make it....good luck.

dare2
23-06-13, 22:37
You know you hit a raw nerve when you get someone responding this way, :tsk-tsk:

princess_morbucks
24-06-13, 13:59
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/johor-condo-delays-upset-singapore-buyers-20130624

Published on Jun 24, 2013
8:00 AM

By Rachael Boon
A group of Singaporeans who bought units in a Johor Baru condominium have faced repeated construction delays, changes to the plans and confusing information about when the complex will be ready.

The developer says some of the delays stem from labour shortages and problems sourcing materials. It also says some buyers did not fully understand the terms of the contract.

Investors have asked about the completion date five times for the 602-unit KSL D'Esplanade Residence, only to be told it has been put back.

One told The Straits Times that when he bought his RM750,000 (S$298,800) unit two years ago, the developer told him that the project was already 80 per cent complete.

princess_morbucks
24-06-13, 14:17
http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/asia-report/malaysia/story/johor-condo-delays-upset-spore-buyers-20130624

By Rachael Boon
A GROUP of Singaporeans who bought units in a Johor Baru condominium have faced repeated construction delays, changes to the plans and confusing information about when the complex will be ready.

The developer says some of the delays stem from labour shortages and problems sourcing materials. It also says some buyers did not fully understand the terms of the contract.

Investors have asked about the completion date five times for the 602-unit KSL D'Esplanade Residence, only to be told it has been put back.

One told The Straits Times that when he bought his RM750,000 (S$298,800) unit two years ago, the developer told him that the project was already 80 per cent complete.

hyenergix
27-06-13, 09:22
Just a little warning when you buy JB properties: ask the developer for the specs and make sure that they don't use asbestos in their building materials. Asbestos can cause cancer several decades after the initial exposure (by inhalation). Apparently there is no control of this hazardous material over there.

bujua
27-06-13, 22:22
Wanna know what is the reasonable property price of Iskandar Malaysia compared to Singapore?
Try this and key in your own inputs, you will know how much it worth for you.
Property Price Iskandar Malaysia VS Singapore (http://iskandarmsia.blogspot.sg/2013/06/property-price-iskandar-malaysia-vs.html)
Have fun!!!

mygeemeel
28-06-13, 01:28
Just a little warning when you buy JB properties: ask the developer for the specs and make sure that they don't use asbestos in their building materials. Asbestos can cause cancer several decades after the initial exposure (by inhalation). Apparently there is no control of this hazardous material over there.

Very good point.

mcmlxxvi
28-06-13, 12:43
Smart people find opportunity in everything.

http://ibonus.iproperty.com.sg/index.php/discount-get-it-right-iskandar/

hyenergix
28-06-13, 14:26
Smart people find opportunity in everything.

http://ibonus.iproperty.com.sg/index.php/discount-get-it-right-iskandar/

Quite a lot of Iskandar seminars are charging fees now.

Rysk
28-06-13, 16:53
Wanna know what is the reasonable property price of Iskandar Malaysia compared to Singapore?
Try this and key in your own inputs, you will know how much it worth for you.
Property Price Iskandar Malaysia VS Singapore (http://iskandarmsia.blogspot.sg/2013/06/property-price-iskandar-malaysia-vs.html)
Have fun!!!

Actually I told my fren to try out..
He told me "Don't be kok lah .. The right way is to compare city to city.. like Tokyo & S'pore / Bejing & S'pore / KL & S'pore or HK & S'pore etc.. & not Japan & S'pore / China & S'pore / M'sia & S'pore lah.." :(

hyenergix
28-06-13, 17:12
Actually I told my fren to try out..
He told me "Don't be kok lah .. The right way is to compare city to city.. like Tokyo & S'pore / Bejing & S'pore / KL & S'pore or HK & S'pore etc.. & not Japan & S'pore / China & S'pore / M'sia & S'pore lah.." :(

The formula itself is controversial.

fiat500
28-06-13, 19:47
You know you hit a raw nerve when you get someone responding this way, :tsk-tsk:
The feelings are mutual.... :D
LOL.....

Bad upbringing for u.. tsk tsk.
Like i said, pity yr mother n father! :D

hyenergix
28-06-13, 22:55
Much more demand coming this way.

mummy
01-07-13, 15:57
Hi, this is my first posting. Agree that more demand should be coming Iskandar's way. I am in the process of buying a unit there myself for investment. Found one that has a positive rental yield. Financing it with an equity loan on my Singapore property so it is like no money down. Enjoy reading yr posts and hope to learn from all of you.

tradert
01-07-13, 21:00
Much more demand coming this way.

Early buyers a few years ago will only regret not buying more. Anyway hindsight is 20-20, there will be many more opportunities in future.

Get in before additional property measures are implemented in Malaysia (some at federal level, others at state level) - higher state consent for foreigners, minimum purchase price for foreigners, and a few other drastic measures that has been making the rumour mills.

hyenergix
01-07-13, 21:10
Hi, this is my first posting. Agree that more demand should be coming Iskandar's way. I am in the process of buying a unit there myself for investment. Found one that has a positive rental yield. Financing it with an equity loan on my Singapore property so it is like no money down. Enjoy reading yr posts and hope to learn from all of you.

When you buy in JB, be prepared to be locked into your investment for many years because you will never know what the policy will be for foreigners. Buying for own use is the best strategy. Malaysia will always welcome foreigners to invest and spend money, and this part I'm 101% sure. Taking money out I'm not so sure.

Iloveproperty
01-07-13, 21:24
Hi

I do understand that Iskandar is a hype and many people are rushing in to join the purchase frenzy. Not every project in Iskandar is GOOD, you really need to know to find the good investment opportunity. However, I would like to recommend that you do consider KL as an alternative

In fact KL property is a better bet, cos rental yield in KL is higher , and there is now a ready tenant market for your property.
Being the capital and the financial hub and also the place where most company branch office, head office and regional HQ are located, it is easier to find prospective tenants

I am marketing some SOHO business units in Jalan Ampang, called 3 Towers.
Do check out my website for video and more details
www.malaysian-properties.com

On this site you will also see there is another very good investment prospect. A service apartment with students as tenant, on a guaranteed scheme.
That means you get guaranteed rental income for the next 6 years.

Call me or private message me if you are keen to find out more.
Thank you . Rgds
Rick Savills
9109 2177

hyenergix
01-07-13, 21:28
Buy condos with care, even in KL.

dare2
01-07-13, 22:55
.....and renting to students can be problematic as they are novices in house-keeping...

Werther
01-07-13, 23:43
Ah advice on commercial space? I heard there will be launching one block near Lego land.. Wonder if it is a good investment?

Rysk
02-07-13, 07:46
Buy condos with care, even in KL.

Yes.. Not only KL.. but JB too

leesg123
02-07-13, 08:38
Yes.. Not only KL.. but JB too
more of the whole malaysia., need to be careful of.

p3nboy
02-07-13, 10:39
more of the whole malaysia., need to be careful of.

why only Msia? rest of the world is ok?

chiaberry
02-07-13, 10:42
.....and renting to students can be problematic as they are novices in house-keeping...

Totally agree on this. Not only novices. I think house-keeping for students is almost non-existent. They mostly study and party in differing proportions but house-keeping is definitely low on the priority list for them.

My friend had a condo in KLCC for some years now. He lived in it initially when he was working there. When he retired, he still does not want to let it out saying that there is high likelihood it would be ruined by the tenants. Instead, he is selling it and moving his investment to US property (I posted before about this - he bought a mansion in Monterey Bay, CA).

dare2
02-07-13, 20:23
Speaking fr experience, kitchen floor became black fr brown after only a yr renting to students.