PDA

View Full Version : Air pollution in Jurong area visible even at night?

sgbuyer
02-06-13, 14:21
Scarly man!

http://static.stomp.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/stomp/1817364/thumbnail/did_you_see_these_eerily_bright_orange_clouds-thumbnail.jpg

lajia
02-06-13, 14:27
Scarly man!

http://static.stomp.com.sg/site/servlet/linkableblob/stomp/1817364/thumbnail/did_you_see_these_eerily_bright_orange_clouds-thumbnail.jpg

hello BJ bro, u look from west coast even more scary...this is not pollution la...

solsys
02-06-13, 14:49
It's exciting living in the West, just like Hollywood movies!:cheers1:

sgbuyer
02-06-13, 15:05
hello BJ bro, u look from west coashttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQbK3LmBZujGjZarBkAHPcSous70f2oY-WuioxDoQnq5wdvCdZfgt even more scary...this is not pollution la...

If not pollution, then don't tell me it's the "northern lights".

We're no where near the north pole lah. :D

I used to have a friend who lives in Jurong West. On certain days, a few times a month, the air there stinks of acrid chemical smell. If you lived there all your life you won't know.

CondoWE
02-06-13, 15:34

I used to have a friend who lives in Jurong West. On certain days, a few times a month, the air there stinks of acrid chemical smell. If you lived there all your life you won't know.

That was many many years ago liao...now all are uncontrolled by Gov, less pollution, less smell but more and more shopping mall, more pc....etc..:D :D :D !

hyenergix
02-06-13, 15:41
If there is process upset, e materials will be sent to e flare stack. If e flare stack doesn't operate properly, u will get these chemicals into e air. But sometimes harmless steam also gives e same illusion so need to check e source.

lajia
02-06-13, 16:02
bro, read some science fictions might helps....:D , kidding...

why u see more of such when you are staying at west side because sunsets on Earth have a red, orange or golden color and as the sunlight passes through so much atmosphere as it comes over the horizon that all the blue light gets scattered away. ok for now? :)
even if it is dusty atmosphere, it is probably a few hundred of miles away...:o

mygeemeel
02-06-13, 16:11
As a matter of fact, i know some people who works/worked in jurong island. They were givenhigher salary bcos of air pollution. Some of my friends kept falling ill.

azeoprop
02-06-13, 16:17
Do note that Punggol and Yishun also have such flare and chemical smell sometimes. Most probably from pasir gudang refinery and heavy industries in johor. :beats-me-man:

leesg123
02-06-13, 16:40
oh boy... jurong vested people will come out in full force to rebut and flame!

lajia
02-06-13, 17:04
Hehehe, some of u are just funny. Pollution? Look at Beijing...that's call pollution. Look at HK, Shenzhen, that's call pollution...:D u hardly see blue sky....

Sin is 42km in length and with a wind speed ranging from 10-40km/hr, in no time almost the whole island can smell or see if there is really pollution. And either with north or northeast, south or southwest direction, it almost covers the whole island.....island I mean. That's how small we are. The terrible thing could be coming up north due to less stringent regulations....my opinion. :) :2cents:

DC33_2008
02-06-13, 17:17
Senoko power plantin the north could be the culprit.
Do note that Punggol and Yishun also have such flare and chemical smell sometimes. Most probably from pasir gudang refinery and heavy industries in johor. :beats-me-man:

DC33_2008
02-06-13, 17:21
Pulau bukom where shell refinery is located will ave impact on west coast. Pasir gudang in johor will have impact on ponggol. QUOTE=leesg123]oh boy... jurong vested people will come out in full force to rebut and flame![/QUOTE]

Kelonguni
02-06-13, 20:59
Please read this and draw your own conclusions..

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/exxon-mobil-launches-new-ethylene-plant-in-singapore-20130530-00048

What impact does ethylene have on human health? Please google it.

hyenergix
02-06-13, 21:16
You guys worried too much:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Be careful what u wish for. More stringent pollution control and regulations to have cleaner air? Possible when the factories all shift out of Singapore. Then more people will be jobless and suffer from poorer nutrition and quality of life.

Kelonguni
02-06-13, 21:20
It's not a problem if you do not live near it

http://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=71

hyenergix
02-06-13, 21:34

Be careful what u wish for. More stringent pollution control and regulations to have cleaner air? Possible when the factories all shift out of Singapore. Then more people will be jobless and suffer from poorer nutrition and quality of life.

The manufacturing numbers are not looking very good:
http://www.singstat.gov.sg/statistics/browse_by_theme/economy/statistical_tables/essa81.xls

Komo
02-06-13, 22:08
Surely Singapore can survive on cleaner energy and technology :)

star
02-06-13, 22:08

You are right brother. Alot of people in sg just not happy with everything.

Kelonguni
02-06-13, 22:32
You are right brother. Alot of people in sg just not happy with everything.

It's good to appreciate what we have, but also be aware and cautious about threats that can arise - this is precisely what our Govt asks of us.

If Govt says we have to build nuclear plant for economic reasons, what would you say?

felicia_sg
02-06-13, 22:44
Oh no, you all better don't talk bad their turf! They will tell you: What pollution? Everywhere in Singapore is the same! (like real!) :p

oh boy... jurong vested people will come out in full force to rebut and flame!

felicia_sg
02-06-13, 22:50
With respect to singapore's west generated pollution:
1) with NE wind, S is safe.
2) with SW wind, N, S, E is safe.
So overall S part of Singapore is saftest? Mmm, that is D1-3, D9-11?

Hehehe, some of u are just funny. Pollution? Look at Beijing...that's call pollution. Look at HK, Shenzhen, that's call pollution...:D u hardly see blue sky....

Sin is 42km in length and with a wind speed ranging from 10-40km/hr, in no time almost the whole island can smell or see if there is really pollution. And either with north or northeast, south or southwest direction, it almost covers the whole island.....island I mean. That's how small we are. The terrible thing could be coming up north due to less stringent regulations....my opinion. :) :2cents:

hyenergix
03-06-13, 07:43
With respect to singapore's west generated pollution:
1) with NE wind, S is safe.
2) with SW wind, N, S, E is safe.
So overall S part of Singapore is saftest? Mmm, that is D1-3, D9-11?

Vehicular emissions in traffic jams r more dangerous. U will have breathed in NOx, SO2, CO, unburnt hydrocarbons like benzene (carcinogenic), particulate matters, O3, n other toxic by products. No place in Singapore is safe. Just stay healthy n pray ur immnune system can fight back.

azeoprop
03-06-13, 09:40
Maybe stay in The Raintree for minimum pollution? :rolleyes:

http://www.h88.com.sg/article/Condo+Photo+Review%3A+The+Raintree/

oops
03-06-13, 10:03
Haha, good attempt to trying buy cheap at Jurong.. Well,i think buyers and sellers are smart enough to judge the value.

eng81157
03-06-13, 13:58
no need to talk about hazardous gases. have you whiffed in the "chocolaty" smell when living around boon lay area?

it stinks, period!!

sgbuyer
03-06-13, 14:07
no need to talk about hazardous gases. have you whiffed in the "chocolaty" smell when living around boon lay area?

it stinks, period!!

Chocolate smell is not the problem. On some days, there's very strong smell like burnt plastics.

No wonder so many people here kena lymphoma for no reason.

eng81157
03-06-13, 14:11
Chocolate smell is not the problem. On some days, there's very strong smell like burnt plastics.

is that an established correlation between the two? i don't live in the west, but i have faith that NEA keeps an extremely tight standard on air safety

hopeful
03-06-13, 14:49

not sure how many of you have seen this.
when plane take off from changi airport in NE direction, sometimes you can see haze hovering in johor side. don't know why singapore side is relatively clear the few times i saw the haze in johor. (maybe wind direction?)

sgbuyer
03-06-13, 14:56
is that an established correlation between the two? i don't live in the west, but i have faith that NEA keeps an extremely tight standard on air safety

How about you volunteer for an experiment? Move to Jurong island, breathe in the air morning and night. Don't use aircon. Let us know after 5 years.

:D

eng81157
03-06-13, 15:00
How about you volunteer for an experiment? Move to Jurong island, breathe in the air morning and night. Don't use aircon. Let us know after 5 years.

well, u can't even prove a correlation in the first place to establish your claim. till you do that, there isn't a need for anyone to disprove a guess

sgbuyer
03-06-13, 15:32
well, u can't even prove a correlation in the first place to establish your claim. till you do that, there isn't a need for anyone to disprove a guess

Prove? Even 3 year old child knows that bad smelling gas is no good and quickly cover nose.

eng81157
03-06-13, 15:49
Prove? Even 3 year old child knows that bad smelling gas is no good and quickly cover nose.

this is not the same as your claim - that air pollution has caused an increased in lymphoma incidences.

the last i checked, farts don't cause lung cancer

sgbuyer
03-06-13, 16:47
this is not the same as your claim - that air pollution has caused an increased in lymphoma incidences.

the last i checked, farts don't cause lung cancer

Here you go!

http://www.shef.ac.uk/news/nr/cancer-research-discovery-1.174273

New research provides breakthrough in understanding common cancer
Researchers from the University of Sheffield have discovered valuable insight into how people develop B-cell lymphoma, one of the most common cancers in the UK.

The team, from the University's Institute for Cancer Studies and funded by Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research, Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) and Yorkshire Cancer Research, found that a mechanism different to that previously thought to be the cause of lymphoma may be responsible for the development of the disease.

Lymphoma is a type of cancer that affects the blood, originating in the lymph glands. B-cells are the immune cells in the human body that are responsible for producing antibodies to fight infections and provide long-term immunity. B-cell lymphomas include both Hodgkin's lymphomas and most non-Hodgkin's lymphomas.

Prior to this research, the main theory to explain the origins of lymphoma was the malfunction of a mechanism (somatic hypermutation) used by B-cells to modify the genes coding for antibodies. This mechanism is required to produce highly specific antibodies, but it also accidentally alters other genes, leading to lymphoma.

However, the team from the University knew that this theory only accounted for affecting a handful of genes, and the model could only explain certain types of lymphoma.

Led by Dr Thierry Nouspikel, the researchers discovered another mechanism, which potentially affects many more genes and can account for a wider palette of lymphomas. The research found that B-cells actually do not repair the bulk of their DNA and only take care of the few genes they are using. When the B-cells are inert in the blood flow, this is not a problem. However, when they receive a stimulation (e.g. an infection) they start to proliferate and then produce antibodies.

To proliferate they must replicate their DNA, and replication of damaged DNA results in the introduction of mutations, the accumulation of which can lead to lymphoma. Dr Nouspikel's team have designed a novel method to specifically detect such mutations, and have proved that they do occur in genes that have been implicated in lymphoma.

The researchers demonstrated that B-cells are deficient in one of the main DNA repair pathways, known as Nucleotide Excision Repair. This pathway repairs a lot of different DNA lesions, including UV-induced damage and chemical adducts (e.g. from air pollution and cigarette smoke). Their model therefore explains why strong UV exposure (e.g. unprotected sun bathing) is the number one environmental risk factor for lymphoma and also supports the evidence that exposure to air pollution and smoking are also risk factors.

Dr Nouspikel said: "Lymphoma is one of the ten most frequent cancers in adults in the UK, and the third among children. If we want to come up with efficient strategies for prevention and therapy, it is crucial to understand what causes it. The novel mechanism we have discovered potentially accounts for the development of many different types of lymphoma. It may also explain why strong exposure to sunlight is the main environmental risk factor for this cancer."

Notes for Editors:
The research is due for publication in Blood on 9 June 2011 and will also be published in Cell Cycle on 15 July 2011. To view the full research paper online, visit:
Blood Journal

felicia_sg
04-06-13, 00:31
Talk of vehicular emissions, both Tuas W & Woodlands N causeway are the worst! Perpetual traffic jams happening frquentlyl!

Vehicular emissions in traffic jams r more dangerous. U will have breathed in NOx, SO2, CO, unburnt hydrocarbons like benzene (carcinogenic), particulate matters, O3, n other toxic by products. No place in Singapore is safe. Just stay healthy n pray ur immnune system can fight back.

Regulators
04-06-13, 00:50
I have warned this intending to live in jurong n punggol about the smell issue n kenna flamed for nothing. But to be fair to those living in the west, the forests n the nature reserves act as lungs. For central whenever there is a haze, they get it worst coz not many trees to absorb the carbon dioxide in the cbd area.

hyenergix
04-06-13, 06:34
I have warned this intending to live in jurong n punggol about the smell issue n kenna flamed for nothing. But to be fair to those living in the west, the forests n the nature reserves act as lungs. For central whenever there is a haze, they get it worst coz not many trees to absorb the carbon dioxide in the cbd area.

Singapore depends more on the wind to disperse the pollutants. There are not many green lungs in Singapore left due to developments.

There is another form of pollution in our waters due to land reclamation and discharge of effluents. The latter is a concern if you are a beach user. An old news is appended below.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20100907-236048.html

In Singapore the only clean areas should be the water catchment areas, Lim Chu Kang, and the natural islands. All the rest are polluted to some degree.

eng81157
04-06-13, 10:18
Here you go!

http://www.shef.ac.uk/news/nr/cancer-research-discovery-1.174273

sigh, u don't get it. i know benzene causes cancer, i know dioxane causes cancer, i know a whole load of stuff causes cancer.

but are you sure that gas discharge from jurong causes an increased in lymphoma incidences? your claims, if true, means that NEA is compromising air safety

sgbuyer
04-06-13, 10:31
sigh, u don't get it. i know benzene causes cancer, i know dioxane causes cancer, i know a whole load of stuff causes cancer.

but are you sure that gas discharge from jurong causes an increased in lymphoma incidences? your claims, if true, means that NEA is compromising air safety

Please read the article, "pollution causes cancer".

So the question is whether gas discharged = pollution?

eng81157
04-06-13, 10:37

eh, we were talking about the quality of air around jurong/boon lay. what pollution talking you?

fine, you wanna talk about general pollution? let's talk about that. the air quality here is well within global safety standards. unless you have specific proof that there is some unseen pollution source or gas discharge from industries in Jurong causing an uprise in lymphoma incidence, then all you are talking about is mere fearmongering.

show us some epidemiological data

sgbuyer
04-06-13, 10:44
eh, we were talking about the quality of air around jurong/boon lay. what pollution talking you?

fine, you wanna talk about general pollution? let's talk about that. the air quality here is well within global safety standards. unless you have specific proof that there is some unseen pollution source or gas discharge from industries in Jurong causing an uprise in lymphoma incidence, then all you are talking about is mere fearmongering.

show us some epidemiological data

Ok, you win. Pollution don't cause cancer. :D

Happy? :p

eng81157
04-06-13, 10:48
Ok, you win. Pollution don't cause cancer. :D

:doh: :doh: still dont get it