PDA

View Full Version : Story of my fourth property

vip
31-05-13, 15:25
http://propertysoul.com/2013/05/23/story-of-my-fourth-property-part-i/

Story of my fourth property (part I)

May 23, 2013

I would like to dedicate my 100th blog post to a dear friend who is the person behind my fourth property purchase.

I haven’t been writing about my property stories since early last year. For readers who have been waiting and sending me reminders, my sincere apology and thank you for your patience.

Just three months after buying my third property, I sniffed another good deal in July 2004.

It wasn’t a normal 3-line run-of-paper advertisement in the Classified. The property agent went for a more eye-catching column ad to put in descriptions in point form, his photo and a contact number. The two big words ‘Urgent Sale’ was so prominent that no one could possibly miss it!

It was a two-bedroom flat in a reputable condominium that had always been under my ‘wish list’ of target properties.

1) The location was perfect.

It was situated in district 3 – one of foreigners’ favorite locations to call home. In front of the development was an overhead bridge leading to the MRT station. Behind was the quiet embassy area that was just a few minutes’ drive to the Orchard shopping belt.

2) It was popular among expatriates.

It was completed three years ago. The place was very well-maintained. The majority of units in the condominium was purchased for investment and tenanted to expatriates. For some reasons, this condominium was particularly popular with Japanese tenants.

3) It was the rare type of unit.

There were three blocks in this project. Only two units on each floor in Block A came with two-bedroom units. The rest of them were all three-bedders. The rare two-bedroom units would definitely have less competition whether it was for lease or for sale. An added bonus was that this was the two-bedder facing the quieter side – the clubhouse rather than the tennis court.

4) It was selling below valuation.

Valuation of the unit at that time was around $600,000. The owner was only asking for half a million though he would accept the highest offer. The place was tenanted to a Japanese company at $3,400 till end of the month.

Remember my three purchase criteria for buying properties?

1) Good location and layout;

2) Minimum 5% net rental return; and

3) At least 15% below last transacted price.

They were all met perfectly well!

But there was still one small problem: I didn’t have the money for the down payment.

After paying for one property a year in 2002, 2003 and 2004, my savings and money in my CPF ordinary account were almost depleted. Relying on a single income would mean at least another 12 months before I felt comfortable to fund another property. Getting a personal loan for the down payment was out of the question.

I began looking around for friends or acquaintances who might have the
financial means and were also keen on buying properties.

You know it’s not difficult to find smart and capable people who have wealth and success early in life. But it’s rare that he/she is trustworthy, and above all, he/she also trusts you.

At last, I talked to a friend who was very good in another form of investment (not shares or any form of trading) who didn’t mind getting a property.

I quickly ran through the deal and the ROI calculations with her. I went on so fast and disorganized that I doubted anybody can grasp it.

When I finished, she simply asked,

“How much money do you need?”

“$120,000.”

“Okay.”

She probably misunderstood that I wanted to borrow money!

Anyway, I was grateful that she believed in me. It was also at that moment that I decided to help her secure the property, put it under her name and I won’t make a single cent out of it.

It is a pity to pass over a good deal, but it is a shame to lose a friend because of money.

vip
31-05-13, 15:29
http://propertysoul.com/2013/05/30/story-of-my-fourth-property-part-ii/

Story of my fourth property (part II)

May 30, 2013

According to the property agent, there was only one timeslot available for flat viewing.

The tenant was very busy and he could only open the door for a while on Saturday late afternoon. But the owner had to sell urgently and definitely had to do so over the weekend. So too bad if any interested party couldn’t make it.

All the while I was worried that the response would be too overwhelming – an inevitable result of his prominent ad in the paper. This timeslot restriction in flat viewing could probably work to limit the number of potential buyers.

That afternoon we saw people showing up for the flat viewing. They were all middle-age couples or businessmen with the typical look of local property investors.

And there we were, two young girls who looked so out of place there. In fact, the property agent admitted later that two of us looked more like property agents coming for co-broke.

Really? Or is it just your lack of imagination that limits the pool of your prospects? If girls can go shopping and partying together, why can’t they go property hunting too?

When the crowd was ready to go upstairs, the tenant suddenly called to inform the agent that he couldn’t make it at the last minute. He could only be back much later.

The agent told everyone to go back first and wait for his call. And one by one, we saw the cars driven away.

I suddenly came up with an idea that could probably bag us the deal.

We asked the agent to have a seat inside the clubhouse so that we could talk more about the unit. I made use of the opportunity to convince him that we were experienced property buyers with everything in place, including loan approval, legal support, etc. We could speed up the transaction and ensure no hiccup along the way.

In fact, we were more like cornering him. We kept bombarding him and he didn’t have the chance to pick up calls from other buyers. Except the one he received from the tenant, saying that he had just returned to his apartment.

It ended up we were the only party managed to view the unit that afternoon. We submitted an offer on the spot, while reassuring the agent that we would cooperate in whatever way to close the deal.

I followed up with the agent again the next day. The owner needed money urgently. He counter-offered with $515,000, plus an additional $10,000 paid in cash to help him cover his transaction cost. I didn’t even bargain because I knew that I could easily make a profit at least a dozen times of $10,000 when I sold the place.

My friend took up an 80% loan from a local bank, with legal subsidy and 0% interest for the first year.

For the next five years, the property was tenanted to Japanese tenants on company leases, fetching between $3,000 to $4,500 a month – a gross return of 7 to 10%. The unit might have seen good and bad times, but it was always in demand because of its location and the fact that it was a two-bedder.

Two years after the purchase, my friend was relocated back to her hometown. When she couldn’t make it in town, I would handle the tenancy matters on behalf of her.

By the end of 2009, she asked me whether we should sell the property and lock in the profit.

Frankly, the risk is always higher when an investment is not in your country. You can’t control when the market direction will change in the future. Nothing is worse than having your fund stuck in a depreciating foreign asset, especially when you are in need of money. Besides, the last thing I want to see is her belief in me and my idea turns out to be an investment loss.

Yes, we had made our money and it’s time we moved on.

We sold it for $935,000, a 82% profit. I hope she found this ‘okay’.

One thing I forgot to tell her: I want her to keep 100% of the profit because I think I have gained more on the intangible side – the precious opportunity to practice the strategies of buying and selling, the countless things I learned in this venture, and above all, a strong friendship between us that will last a lifetime!

lifeline
31-05-13, 15:30
your last few sentences (of the 1st part) were heart-warming! kudos to you for choosing friendship over money!!! :)

indomie
31-05-13, 16:06
He is a better man than I am.... I would be slapping my self.

sh
31-05-13, 16:14
Actually, i would never recommend a friend to buy a property. If property crash, the responsibility will be too great.

leesg123
31-05-13, 16:50
He is a better man than I am.... I would be slapping my self.is a 'she'. kudos!

leesg123
31-05-13, 16:54
http://propertysoul.com/2013/05/30/story-of-my-fourth-property-part-ii/

We sold it for $935,000, a 82% profit. I hope she found this ‘okay’.

5 years, 82% is pretty 'normal' during that period. Even for properties that don't fit the 3 criteria.

mcmlxxvi
31-05-13, 17:06
Amazing how a bull with strong thick hide can turn into a fuzzy wuzzy bear in a matter of few years.

teddybear
31-05-13, 22:16
He was too humble to say it's 82% but the profit is way higher than that

He has to divide by the capital he put in NOT the purchase price......:p

5 years, 82% is pretty 'normal' during that period. Even for properties that don't fit the 3 criteria.

teddybear
31-05-13, 22:22
How can it be amazing?

If you sold out everything and waiting to entry, of course you can be one of the bear? it's really dependent of which position are you now! :p

Amazing how a bull with strong thick hide can turn into a fuzzy wuzzy bear in a matter of few years.

bargain hunter
01-06-13, 22:02
Sis vip, it is clear that the project you are describing is Tanglin View.

As I could not find any caveats for the project in July 2004, I am curious (seriously, not sacarstically) to know how I can avoid a caveat from being lodged despite taking an 80% loan. Please PM me if its not convenient to say it out in the open.

Thank you in advance.

:)

princess_morbucks
01-06-13, 23:31

This reminds me of moulting.

leesg123
02-06-13, 01:16
Sis vip, it is clear that the project you are describing is Tanglin View.

As I could not find any caveats for the project in July 2004, I am curious (seriously, not sacarstically) to know how I can avoid a caveat from being lodged despite taking an 80% loan. Please PM me if its not convenient to say it out in the open.

Thank you in advance.

:)this was discussed before. just instruct your lawyer dont lodge a caveat.

bargain hunter
02-06-13, 12:42
ic. thanks. wasn't following that thread.

this was discussed before. just instruct your lawyer dont lodge a caveat.