PDA

View Full Version : 2 Melons fetch $19,600 at auction! Moral of Story...

leesg123
25-05-13, 01:10
Pair of Japanese cantaloupe melons fetch $19,600 at auction
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/asia/story/pair-japanese-cantaloupe-melons-fetch-19600-auction-20130524

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/imagecache/breaking-news-top-stories/yubari2405n.jpg
Moral of Story:
You think is stupid, the buyer dont think so and will by again, the farmer will grow again the cycle continue. The buyer think you are stupid to eat the $2 equivalent from local supermarket.

Same arguement as we are seeing here:
LANDED vs Non-landed
Malaysia vs Singapore properties
GST vs watever
Yowetan vs All of us

End of the day, we are all stupid in each other's eye. :D :spliff:
(PS: Bro Radha could be thinking of other 'melons'):tongue3:

yowetan
25-05-13, 07:46
Hi... In simple wordings -

Beauty lies in the eye beholder.

各花入各眼;情人眼里出西施.

I love Mt Sinai.

minority
25-05-13, 09:30
That's melon is not for u. Too big for ur 2 hands to grope.

sgbuyer
25-05-13, 11:10
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/asia/story/pair-japanese-cantaloupe-melons-fetch-19600-auction-20130524

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/imagecache/breaking-news-top-stories/yubari2405n.jpg
Moral of Story:
You think is stupid, the buyer dont think so and will by again, the farmer will grow again the cycle continue. The buyer think you are stupid to eat the $2 equivalent from local supermarket.

LANDED vs Non-landed
GST vs watever
Yowetan vs All of us

The trick is packaging. Go to Isetan supermarket, you can see $100 melons there in nice packaging. After you remove the packaging and eat it, it taste the same as a Malaysian $3 melon.

Our MBT is also an expert in packaging. Give a nice name to HDB, DBSS, throw in a few decor and sell for double the price!

:D

leesg123
25-05-13, 12:02
Hi... In simple wordings -

Beauty lies in the eye beholder.

各花入各眼;情人眼里出西施.

I love Mt Sinai.i support you! u just need to take the 1st step!

radha08
25-05-13, 15:28
i thought this type melon:D:D:D

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/boobs1.jpg?w=600&h=350

eng81157
27-05-13, 09:11
The trick is packaging. Go to Isetan supermarket, you can see $100 melons there in nice packaging. After you remove the packaging and eat it, it taste the same as a Malaysian $3 melon.

Our MBT is also an expert in packaging. Give a nice name to HDB, DBSS, throw in a few decor and sell for double the price!

wrong, the japanese melons are lightyears away from your normal ones from malaysia - smell, shape, taste

when i went to japan, handcarried two huge ones back and my bag so smelled nice

eng81157
27-05-13, 09:13
wrong, the japanese melons are lightyears away from your normal ones from malaysia - smell, shape, taste

when i went to japan, handcarried two huge ones back and my bag so smelled nice

forgot to add, it costs me SGD$30+, while the same one here would go over $100 - shipping costs expensive lah

hopeful
27-05-13, 09:40
forgot to add, it costs me SGD$30+, while the same one here would go over $100 - shipping costs expensive lah

did you notice the price of mangosteens in japan?

eng81157
27-05-13, 10:21
did you notice the price of mangosteens in japan?

ok, just a note - never buy fruits that aren't native to japan cos' you are paying for the import fees.

similarly, the price of 1 durian, a very normal averaged size, was like $40 :scared-5: :scared-5:

but you get a huge bunch of fresh kyoho grapes, that are still green at the stalk, at $6 from the supermarket. costs at least $20+ in singapore, and the stalk is browned

you can get japanese perfectly yellow colored peaches for less than $5 for 3, but here it's $20 at least.

zzz1
27-05-13, 12:53

yayo...one take aeroplane to come sg, other take lorry and jamm at causeway to reach our wet market...

BUT,,a spade is a spade, a melon is a melon...

lionhill
27-05-13, 13:03
Moral of Story:

LANDED vs Non-landed
GST vs watever
Yowetan vs All of us

For the auction winner, he was not buying melons, but advertsing himself.
10k for a world-wide advertisement, worth it....

eng81157
27-05-13, 14:14
in their context, elaborate fruit hampers are considered respectable corporate gifts and usually start in the range of SGD$300 and above.