PDA

View Full Version : CCR continue to lose its shine

lajia
24-05-13, 12:39
I think CCR will continue to lose its shine especially when the ABSD is still in place. With the decentralization effort from the garmen and shifting of focus to OCR; the longer it is without lifting the CM, it is going to impact more on the CCR future. Price continue to soften and rental will be hit as more foreigners move out to OCR. More and more malls are built and as MRT linked up the whole island, you will only see tourists in these CCR areas.....:2cents:
Just my opinion...might be time to rethink about your investment strategy. :p

DC33_2008
24-05-13, 12:58
You may need to breakdown CCR into smaller zone like District to reflect this.
I think CCR will continue to lose its shine especially when the ABSD is still in place. With the decentralization effort from the garmen and shifting of focus to OCR; the longer it is without lifting the CM, it is going to impact more on the CCR future. Price continue to soften and rental will be hit as more foreigners move out to OCR. More and more malls are built and as MRT linked up the whole island, you will only see tourists in these CCR areas.....:2cents:
Just my opinion...might be time to rethink about your investment strategy. :p

radha08
24-05-13, 13:29
agree i can live in ocr like pasir ris jurong woodlands without needing to visit orchard road ocr got everything i need:cool:

leesg123
24-05-13, 17:55
Just my opinion...might be time to rethink about your investment strategy. :pwhy buy gold to make a ring when silver also can make a ring. people buying into ccr has a different mindset and lifestyle compared to those staying outside. again is like why buy ferrari when nissan fairlady is also ok? commoners won't understand one lah, and also no need to understand, each to his own game.

lajia
24-05-13, 18:29
Lifestyle?? I can understand if you talk about Coves or Reflection or Corals.....:)

What lifestyle are u talking about with higher traffic, pollution and surrounded by mainly offices & shopping malls? Or is it the pubs u referring to? 20 yrs ago, it makes a lot of diff because there are not many entertainment or malls outside those core regions. But look around u now....what a different. Even companies are shifting their HQ outside to OCR....so if u work in OCR, would u stay in CCR? maybe....Anyway, individual preferences. At this time, it is quite true that CCR is losing its shines. but of course there are still different areas within the CCR that i must agree would have diff appeals.
As I said, even the ang mo are changing their lifestyles...:p

We are not like Perth, Melbourne, KL or Jakarta, etc....our OCR are as vibrant....not ulu like any major cities and also because we are small....:o

For those cities, agree if if invest, must invest in the cities, but for Sg, not anymore....:2cents:

why buy gold to make a ring when silver also can make a ring. people buying into ccr has a different mindset and lifestyle compared to those staying outside. again is like why buy ferrari when nissan fairlady is also ok? commoners won't understand one lah, and also no need to understand, each to his own game.

Ringo33
24-05-13, 18:36
the recent report on foreigners purchase seem to indicate that foreigners still favor high end development.

And I agree that CCR is too general, we should break it down to specific district to get a more accurate picture.

minority
24-05-13, 18:54
Time to buy ccr then . OCR? Over priced now.

CCR
24-05-13, 20:02
Same psf buy where? CCR or OCR?
CCR price double of OCR buy where?

azeoprop
24-05-13, 20:03
Buy only when everybody not interested to buy. Then u will get good bargains haa haa. :D

hutsutau
24-05-13, 20:31
Time to buy ccr then . OCR? Over priced now.
ccr-correctly priced
ocr-overpriced
landed-madly price

hutsutau
24-05-13, 20:32
Same psf buy where? CCR or OCR?
CCR price double of OCR buy where?
centro(1800 psf), same as river valley old condo

indomie
24-05-13, 20:35
Imagine if u are a renter. Why would u live in a ccr where the food is more expensive, rental is more expensive and probably away from most of your friends who are renting ocr?.

CondoInterested
24-05-13, 20:36
Will the gap between CCR and OCR disappear one fine day when OCR is as buzzling as CCR area?

After all Singapore is such a small place to go with.

leesg123
24-05-13, 21:35
as I said, people buy ccr is different from people buy ocr. people who buy semiD in cornwall is different from people buying semiD in loyang.

the ocr people will justify their buy, likewise ccr people will justify their buy. like people die die say yakun coffee is better than hawker coffee.

if one day ocr find istana next door, then I congratulate you. istana hor, not ISETAN.

Ringo33
24-05-13, 22:09
Imagine if u are a renter. Why would u live in a ccr where the food is more expensive, rental is more expensive and probably away from most of your friends who are renting ocr?.

When foreigners come Singapore, they will most definitely start their house hunting from central before exploring outside. So if they can afford one in ccr they are unlikely to want to look further out. This is the same principle of how when we go for holiday, we will always like to stay in the hotel that is in the central where everywhere is close by, And this is especially true for smallish apartment catering for working professional without kids.

I believe price correction in CCR property are mainly in the bigger units, while price of small 1 bedder apartment in CCR is still moving upward due to good rental demand and yield.

leesg123
24-05-13, 22:20
When foreigners come Singapore, they will most definitely start their house hunting from central before exploring outside. So if they can afford one in ccr they are unlikely to want to look further out. This is the same principle of how when we go for holiday, we will always like to stay in the hotel that is in the central where everywhere is close by, And this is especially true for smallish apartment catering for working professional without kids.

I believe price correction in CCR property are mainly in the bigger units, while price of small 1 bedder apartment in CCR is still moving upward due to good rental demand and yield.SSshhhhhhh....pls dont let everyone know! Let them all go buy OCR and party!! I still want to get a few more ccr unit!

indomie
24-05-13, 22:23

I believe price correction in CCR property are mainly in the bigger units, while price of small 1 bedder apartment in CCR is still moving upward due to good rental demand and yield.
In internet age, central location is not a big advantage.

leesg123
24-05-13, 22:26
In internet age, central location is not a big advantage.Of course, that is why those banking backend operations are shifted to changi, jurong area. why do bank hq still gather around central area? dbs after selling off their original buildings, then move to the marina financial area. why dont they move totally to say Jurong, Tuas?

Kelonguni
24-05-13, 23:46
Of course, that is why those banking backend operations are shifted to changi, jurong area. why do bank hq still gather around central area? dbs after selling off their original buildings, then move to the marina financial area. why dont they move totally to say Jurong, Tuas?

Many parts of CCR has reached over-saturation point in terms of population density due to proposed changes in density. For those on holidays or short stay still good, but not ideal for residential purposes. But you are right in stating that the hq and premier services will still remain there. So still have strong rental potential.

lajia
25-05-13, 00:02
Finance HUB, in CCR, no doubt. But, all others, will be out in no time. So, CCR in the past and in future, it is not going to be the same anymore. If the present trend is not taken seriously, then we might be missing something. Whether OCR will eventually be higher than CCR i really dont know...maybe the gap will not be that big anymore.

When CCR down, OCR down, the market is normal. But when CCR down and OCR up, it means something. It may means OCR is long under valued...:) People perception changed. They might not be wrong :o

Of course, that is why those banking backend operations are shifted to changi, jurong area. why do bank hq still gather around central area? dbs after selling off their original buildings, then move to the marina financial area. why dont they move totally to say Jurong, Tuas?

Werther
25-05-13, 00:23
I agree with leesg... The mindset of people buying CCR and OCR is slightly different. Just like LV or Coach, if one can afford it, still will go for LV. I am still waiting for price to drop further, but still with ABSD, ouch.. Too painful to buy in at this level.:cheers6:

minority
25-05-13, 00:45

depends on ur renters.. ur middle mgmt yes.. ur upper mgmt.. if they rent ocr they will be far away from their friends.

Regulators
25-05-13, 00:51
Good districts with high end homes can be in ocr as well, do you know that? D15 is so big, not every part is in rcr or ccr.
depends on ur renters.. ur middle mgmt yes.. ur upper mgmt.. if they rent ocr they will be far away from their friends.

minority
25-05-13, 00:54
Good districts with high end homes can be in ocr as well, do you know that? D15 is so big, not every part is in rcr or ccr.

well D15 wat u get btw? neh neh neh.

leesg123
25-05-13, 01:05
I agree with leesg... The mindset of people buying CCR and OCR is slightly different. Just like LV or Coach, if one can afford it, still will go for LV. I am still waiting for price to drop further, but still with ABSD, ouch.. Too painful to buy in at this level.:cheers6:Just like this pair of fruits, different league, we won't understand them and they wont understand us too:
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/asia/story/pair-japanese-cantaloupe-melons-fetch-19600-auction-20130524

Pair of Japanese cantaloupe melons fetch $19,600 at auction
http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/imagecache/breaking-news-top-stories/yubari2405n.jpg

lajia
25-05-13, 01:20
Be humble....ppl who are different, doesn't mean they are wrong. Why don't we open up and think again, no lose...:o

Just like this pair of fruits, different league, we won't understand them and they wont understand us too:
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/asia/story/pair-japanese-cantaloupe-melons-fetch-19600-auction-20130524

Pair of Japanese cantaloupe melons fetch $19,600 at auction
http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/imagecache/breaking-news-top-stories/yubari2405n.jpg

3C
25-05-13, 07:36
I felt both sides have its point. But their lots of factors at play which only individual can decide which is best for him/her. I bought OCR because I can only afford OCR and those that can give me good yield. So less headache. Capital gain may not be that fantastic as compared to CCR. But for yield depends on entry point. 2 million CCR 2 header can beat 2 header OCR at current market??? So lots of factor and risk appetite and even luck at play. Will Singapore still continue to shine and attract the rich for the next 10 -20 -30 years. Key thing buy within your means and maximize your investment while you can.

desfrie
25-05-13, 08:16
I agree with leesg... The mindset of people buying CCR and OCR is slightly different. Just like LV or Coach, if one can afford it, still will go for LV. I am still waiting for price to drop further, but still with ABSD, ouch.. Too painful to buy in at this level.:cheers6:

I agree. Jus because u can't own luxury does not mean luxury stuff will come down to your level to meet u. For small states tht are successful like Singapore, there will always be a premium district. I can't afford CCR and I am still aspiring! But I won't say it has lose its shine and OCR is comparable!

Ringo33
25-05-13, 08:26
In internet age, central location is not a big advantage.
internet or not, human beings still have to be transported physical from home to work and back to home. If you look at the map of singapore, the distant from our CBD to Woodland, Changi and Jurong are all about the same distant, and that is why Central will always remain as Central, and any company that wishes to tap into Singapore talent pool will want to be located the central region.

From the URA master plan, you could also see that there are massive expansion development plan for the new CBD area (marina south) and this will definitely create massive news jobs into the area, unless you have reason to believe the government just build without considering the health and direction of SG economy.

For foreigners, say western expat, coming into Singapore to work they will of course wish to experience Singapore city life because thats what we are famous for, and also a place where they can enjoy the many western cafe, restaurant, bakery, amenities and social communities.

The ones who usually chose to live in the OCR are usually those with have acclimatize to local culture and those with families and children because they need to live close to school as well as they need a bigger place to live.

lajia
25-05-13, 08:29
Now it is no longer about affordability....more ppl are thinking of buying two OCR in replacing 1 CCR. In the end, risk is spread while u might have even better yield and return. Just for eg....don't think that ppl don't mean means they cannot afford. :o

I agree. Jus because u can't own luxury does not mean luxury stuff will come down to your level to meet u. For small states tht are successful like Singapore, there will always be a premium district. I can't afford CCR and I am still aspiring! But I won't say it has lose its shine and OCR is comparable!

indomie
25-05-13, 08:37
Now it is no longer about affordability....more ppl are thinking of buying two OCR in replacing 1 CCR. In the end, risk is spread while u might have even better yield and return. Just for eg....don't think that ppl don't mean means they cannot afford. :o
This a valid argument from the investor point of view.

Ringo33
25-05-13, 08:51

Property is always down to affordability and the reason why ocr is gettig more attention these days is because there has been more launches in OCR than in CCR. But this could change in H2 this year when CDL, Guoccoland, and M+S launches their luxury CCR developments.

If you want to minimize risk, just buy properties near MRT, not if it is OCR or CCR.

minority
25-05-13, 09:29
Property is always down to affordability and the reason why ocr is gettig more attention these days is because there has been more launches in OCR than in CCR. But this could change in H2 this year when CDL, Guoccoland, and M+S launches their luxury CCR developments.

If you want to minimize risk, just buy properties near MRT, not if it is OCR or CCR.

Look for property in the up coming mrt. Best is before build. Got up side if can hold while mrt is being build.

Ringo33
25-05-13, 09:51
Look for property in the up coming mrt. Best is before build. Got up side if can hold while mrt is being build.

Yes, that is correct and i already got my seeds planted. price should starts climbing things become more obvious to the masses.

felicia_sg
25-05-13, 10:31
Isn't it just like people buying Mercedes, Porsche etc?
The price is a few times that of a typical reliable Japanese car like Toyota but people will still pay those price.
The saying that CCR has no value & even rich will buy OCR for various reasons is same as saying Mercedes, Porsche has no value & the rich will rather buy a few cheap Japanese cars or better still Proton or Cherry!

lajia
25-05-13, 10:51
ppl got diff views and i respect that. but personally, i think it is not appropriate to use cars in comparison to what we are talking about. ppl buying CCR has a mindset more tune towards investment. Be it for capital appreciation or rental. Do you buy Porsche to rent out or waiting for its value to appreciate? Lux goods like LV someone brought up, do you buy it as an investment? Answer is no, maybe for collectible items like watches and so on they do have some values. but, i am not going to bring that in. :o

The price is a few times that of a typical reliable Japanese car like Toyota but people will still pay those price.
The saying that CCR has no value & even rich will buy OCR for various reasons is same as saying Mercedes, Porsche has no value & the rich will rather buy a few cheap Japanese cars or better still Proton or Cherry!

teddybear
25-05-13, 10:52
When penny stocks (OCR) are up & blue chips (CCR) are down, we know they up to something. People will now say blue-chips over-valued, over bought, limited upside so going down, the rich will shift to owning penny stocks with great growth prospects since absolute price so cheap, with many penny stocks now giving higher & higher dividends (by issuing bonds at ultra low interest rates)...

Well, we know the history will always repeat itself! :o

Finance HUB, in CCR, no doubt. But, all others, will be out in no time. So, CCR in the past and in future, it is not going to be the same anymore. If the present trend is not taken seriously, then we might be missing something. Whether OCR will eventually be higher than CCR i really dont know...maybe the gap will not be that big anymore.

When CCR down, OCR down, the market is normal. But when CCR down and OCR up, it means something. It may means OCR is long under valued...:) People perception changed. They might not be wrong :o

Ringo33
25-05-13, 11:20

People from all corners of Singapore will always gravitate towards the central region for many reasons. Given a choice, it is very seldom that anyone would wish to be further away from central or someone from the east would want to move to the west and vice versa.

All the hype about OCR property become CCR is just nonsense. Yes OCR value proposition is getting better, but they will always be 2nd best to what CCR has to offer. One will need to study the URA masterplan to get a better idea of what are the possibility opportunity an limitation of OCR

leesg123
25-05-13, 12:06
People from all corners of Singapore will always gravitate towards the central region for many reasons. Given a choice, it is very seldom that anyone would wish to be further away from central or someone from the east would want to move to the west and vice versa.

All the hype about OCR property become CCR is just nonsense. Yes OCR value proposition is getting better, but they will always be 2nd best to what CCR has to offer. One will need to study the URA masterplan to get a better idea of what are the possibility opportunity an limitation of OCRI guess you have summarised it pretty well. :spliff:

lajia
25-05-13, 12:15
nobody says that OCR will becomes CCR and whether it will replaced by OCR is anybody's guess and I'm not going to speculate that. i believe in the past nobody would think that OCR will be above 1000psf and now, it is even going to break 1800 or higher, so it is up to your guess which i do not want to dispute...:)
given a choice, nobody wish to be further away from central? being near to central to do what?? As you mentioned about URA master plan, do you realize the basic principle of the master plan? do you realize the effort of the garmen? definitely, it impacts on CCR, it is no longer like what is it in the last 10 yrs.....that's what I'm saying. :o

All the hype about OCR property become CCR is just nonsense. Yes OCR value proposition is getting better, but they will always be 2nd best to what CCR has to offer. One will need to study the URA masterplan to get a better idea of what are the possibility opportunity an limitation of OCR

Ringo33
25-05-13, 13:00
nobody says that OCR will becomes CCR and whether it will replaced by OCR is anybody's guess and I'm not going to speculate that. i believe in the past nobody would think that OCR will be above 1000psf and now, it is even going to break 1800 or higher, so it is up to your guess which i do not want to dispute...:)
given a choice, nobody wish to be further away from central? being near to central to do what?? As you mentioned about URA master plan, do you realize the basic principle of the master plan? do you realize the effort of the garmen? definitely, it impacts on CCR, it is no longer like what is it in the last 10 yrs.....that's what I'm saying. :o

I guess in the past no one would have guess that CCR property could hit > $6000psf either, and comparing that to $1800psf for sub 500sqft apartment in OCR, there is still a big gap, And if you consider the average unit quantum, the gap could be even wider.

The same but opposite question will perhaps be more relevant. Given a choice where budget is no concern, living further away from central to do what? In CCR, there are plenty to do actually, be it botanic garden, restaurant, shopping, cafe, medical treatment, theater, museum, concerts, exhibition, convention, pub, disco, bristo, NDP, F1 Garden by the Bay, social gathering etc etc

I am not aware there is such thing as principle for masterplan. AFAIK, master plan is a more detail urban development plant derived from concept plan. Yes government is trying to decentralized Singapore but that doesnt mean that we are going to see CBD in Jurong Woodland or Changi.
Please study the URA map of Singapore and you will understand the limitation and possibilities of all these satellite towns.

In fact, by decentralizing Singapore, it might actually make CCR more attractive as less congestion is always welcome by people who live and work in CCR..

lionhill
25-05-13, 15:00
for me, I do not care whether I am staying in CCR or RCR or OCR, I just want to be near to my office, near to my kids' schools, and near to a wet market and a supermarket.

As for branded shops in Orchard, to be frank, I do not care.

Some places in CCR may be attractive to those highly paid singles, but not convenient for family stay, that's a pity.

As for price, CCR is branded....

mosaic
25-05-13, 15:27

Actually tell people you stay in river valley and stay in ang mo kio got big difference leh. Best thing is people dunno you buy it at close to ang mo kio type of prices :D

leesg123
25-05-13, 15:29
Actually tell people you stay in river valley and stay in ang mo kio got big difference leh. Best thing is people dunno you buy it at close to ang mo kio type of prices :D
precisely, u tell people u buy amk at 1800psf vs I tell people I buy river valley at 1800psf, whou think will be considered stupid?

lajia
25-05-13, 16:07
hehehe....last time u tell ppl u stay orchard rd, ppl say waa.....now u tell ppl u stay orchard rd, some may say u siow eh!!! go home also jam here jam there and some area need to pay ERP...everything so exp...just like u call ppl stupid buying any OCR at 1800psf....tortoise dont laugh turtle...:p
investment is not about prestige, at least this is what i think. any investment that can give you good return based on your expectation is a good investment. now I'm not saying that you should not buy CCR. Not my intention for this discussion sake...:o

precisely, u tell people u buy amk at 1800psf vs I tell people I buy river valley at 1800psf, whou think will be considered stupid?

lajia
25-05-13, 16:13
there are many ppl who dont care what others think, as long as their pocket deep deep...:) there ppl who buy a Jap car without taking any loan, and there are ppl who buy a BMW with 80% loan. the moral of the story is 好看不好吃。。。dont judge by the cover of the book...:2cents:
and what u think is more important...:)

felicia_sg
25-05-13, 16:25
Iif you are a businessman & you want to discuss BIG business deal & JV with another businessman, if you tell him/her you live in Marc@Paterson vs saying you live in Eg Canberra in sembawang, which will make him/her more willing to partner you &/or do business with you? Will he/she ask you you owe 80% loan for Marc vs you fully paid off Canberra or not? The answer is very obvious isn't it? :D

there are many ppl who dont care what others think, as long as their pocket deep deep...:) there ppl who buy a Jap car without taking any loan, and there are ppl who buy a BMW with 80% loan. the moral of the story is 好看不好吃。。。dont judge by the cover of the book...:2cents:

VS
25-05-13, 16:41
Iif you are a businessman & you want to discuss BIG business deal & JV with another businessman, if you tell him/her you live in Marc@Paterson vs saying you live in Eg Canberra in sembawang, which will make him/her more willing to partner you &/or do business with you? Will he/she ask you you owe 80% loan for Marc vs you fully paid off Canberra or not? The answer is very obvious isn't it? :D

And you can be just renting Marc@Paterson with bunch of other ppl, not owning it at all. Just like some ppl, name card showing nice address, but actually they dont even have a table there.

NorthernStar
25-05-13, 17:46
I doubt ppl still use where u stay to judge the business deal. If u register a pte ltd company, the potential partner will b more concern on ur registered liability.

mosaic
25-05-13, 22:49

hmmmm honestly don t think near town areas has lost its prestige leh. I stayed in the heartlands for 20+ years than move to river valley. The reponse you get from people is different lah. They definitely don t go you siao ah move to river valley for what. I m working in the finance industry, if I don t go orchard, i go raffles. So actually is very near where all my peers are working at, travelling is smooth sailing, maybe its the industry i m in. In terms of value, when I went house hunting some new units at OCR asking only slightly lesser PSF than my place, that one I really go SIAO AH!!! :D

Learner
25-05-13, 23:52
i think CCR, especially those near the CBD and new financial district, will not lose its shine.

With the growing financial district but not a substantial increase in residential developments in the area, it will boost the residential values.

I also see more careful planning of the marina area - other than the big gardens by the bay, there are pockets of green parks in between big concrete developments. There are also underground links and also amenities like food courts, supermarkets, and even healthcare facilities springing up in the area. All these make city living easier and more pleasurable.

As the marina area is taking shape, it will be interesting to see how the area of the current port will develop after the port shift to tuas area. and i think it will likely add value to the area.

Matador
26-05-13, 01:27
CCR will always be hot - just a matter of degrees. Will always be classic and collectible. Just like the CCR of music - Creedence Clearwater Revival. Still played everywhere, still loved and cherished - Have you ever seen the rain? Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising . . . . compared with the Boy Bands of suburbia like Take That, Westlife, Backstreet Boys etc . . . short lived, long forgotten, no staying power, no long-term value. CCR will always rock!

amk
26-05-13, 10:16
:) I like your musical expressions :)

"CCR losing its shine" as what ? Place to live or place to invest ? Judging from the posts here, it seems we are talking about to live. For a place to live, just look at all the traffic direction in the morning and at night you can already conclude. The direction is one way ;) . And btw CCR is quite big, you have many types of areas to suit your lifestyle. From buzzlly, neverr sleep, manhattan city life style (orchard, scotts), to tranquil , peaceful, Bohemia ( botanic garden, nassim, holland), you have every type of home to yr liking. There is no question, that CCR remains the area preferred by the rich and successful. Do a poll to all the ppl in the top 10% income bracket on their preferred place to live, I bet the overwhelming response would be in CCR.

As investment then it is irrelevant. You can make money in every segment. In a bull run, penny stocks make a few hundred percent, blue chips make 50%. Now it's your call to identify which segment , or rather, which *location*, still has potential, and who is overpriced.

indomie
26-05-13, 10:25

"CCR losing its shine" as what ? Place to live or place to invest ? Judging from the posts here, it seems we are talking about to live. For a place to live, just look at all the traffic direction in the morning and at night you can already conclude. The direction is one way ;) . And btw CCR is quite big, you have many types of areas to suit your lifestyle. From buzzlly, neverr sleep, manhattan city life style (orchard, scotts), to tranquil , peaceful, Bohemia ( botanic garden, nassim, holland), you have every type of home to yr liking. There is no question, that CCR remains the area preferred by the rich and successful. Do a poll to all the ppl in the top 10% income bracket on their preferred place to live, I bet the overwhelming response would be in CCR.

As investment then it is irrelevant. You can make money in every segment. In a bull run, penny stocks make a few hundred percent, blue chips make 50%. Now it's your call to identify which segment , or rather, which *location*, still has potential, and who is overpriced.
Your infinite wisdom has no end....

Condo Kaiser
27-05-13, 17:25

I like what you said....