PDA

View Full Version : Can you live in a house without storerooms?

pool100
17-05-13, 14:45
I see that's the direction of new developments. Do away with the house shelter and just give you bedrooms, living room, kitchen and balcony.

Surely you need some space for luggages, ironing boards, vacuum cleaners etc etc???

sunboy77
17-05-13, 15:08
I see that's the direction of new developments. Do away with the house shelter and just give you bedrooms, living room, kitchen and balcony.

Surely you need some space for luggages, ironing boards, vacuum cleaners etc etc???

I don't think I can.
But I bought Sant Ritz nonetheless because of location.

Cupcakes
17-05-13, 15:45
HS = more junk.
No HS = less clutter.

ysyap
17-05-13, 15:56
I overcome this by building more wardrobe spaces and store my luggage in it. My vacuum cleaner is sitting in the living room at an obscure corner. The other stuff I left at my yard area. So no need for the HS for storage! :rolleyes:

hopeful
17-05-13, 16:26

what kind of question is that?

i live and sleep in a big toilet before, no bedrooms, no hs ..........aka studio.

Ringo33
17-05-13, 16:52
there is a reason why DIY storage business is booming in Singapore

lajia
17-05-13, 17:19
hhaha...the developer want you to think before you buy things....cultivate good habit. :D

but i can't, i have to even convert one of my toilet to get extra store room...:p too much rubbish.

smartboy2
17-05-13, 17:56
No i need a store to store all the unsightly things!! :tongue3:

iwantgizmos
17-05-13, 17:59
Now with a HS, i seem to become a compulsive hoarder...

alamak
17-05-13, 18:00

Same story as owning a car. I stay 100m from MRT stn right at fringe of City hence no compulsion to own a car liao. My children go to school using public transport and else where with MRT:D:D

BUt my unit has a utility room and my wife is an avid hoarder of stuff.:banghead: :banghead:

babyt
17-05-13, 18:38
my upcoming 1loft unit comes w 2 bathrooms....I can understand why they include 2 toilets so that owner at master room can use toilet without the need to walk downstair. However, for me who is staying alone, the 2nd toilet is waste of space thus I m thinking of converting it to storage space.

I am also thinking of converting the void space beside the staircase to storage as well.

Cupcakes
17-05-13, 18:58
I will be building shoe cabinet in HS

heehee
17-05-13, 19:25
Don't know how to live in a house without storeroom. Where to keep ugly things out of sight?

CP5211
17-05-13, 19:33
Don't know how to live in a house without storeroom. Where to keep ugly things out of sight?
During house viewing, I saw some owners use the storeroom as maid's room cum ironing room. Poor maid!

bakasa2002
18-05-13, 01:34
Guess I'll need that storeroom...

irisng
19-05-13, 08:13
Life is too good for us now. Old HDB have no store room too and yet the owners can still live with it.

radha08
19-05-13, 12:04
Life is too good for us now. Old HDB have no store room too and yet the owners can still live with it.

totally agree:cheers1:

lajia
19-05-13, 13:37
different.....we pay little, so no complaints.....but as we improve our quality of life and pay more, how can we get less?? :D

lajia
19-05-13, 13:42
convert the unused toilet to store room and also save $$...:p
Guess I'll need that storeroom...

equalizer
19-05-13, 20:47
convert the unused toilet to store room and also save $$...:p

Think I prefer toilets over storeroom.:)

cornycow
20-05-13, 00:28
gotta have storeroom ba. im gonna use the HS for storage and perhaps a small wine cellar?

minority
20-05-13, 15:02
yes ! live in a place without store room. save on the store room pdf. easily 80-100sqf? now PSF is $1000- 2000 ?

that store room cost $100K to 200K?

Save on the store room and move unused items to storage facility!

so avg cost is ard $250 can store sofa n washing machine etc. works out to be $3K per year.. the $100K spend can story 33yrs. if 200K is 66yrs...

sunboy77
20-05-13, 15:09
yes ! live in a place without store room. save on the store room pdf. easily 80-100sqf? now PSF is $1000- 2000 ?

so avg cost is ard $250 can store sofa n washing machine etc. works out to be $3K per year.. the $100K spend can story 33yrs. if 200K is 66yrs...

Yes minority. Good info and insight.

I have never thought of this but now that you explained, the sums work out logically! :cheers4:

sunboy77
20-05-13, 15:11
Yes minority. Good info and insight.

I have never thought of this but now that you explained, the sums work out logically! :cheers4:

But the only thing is you don't own the store, not to mention the convenience of owning it INSIDE the house....

minority
20-05-13, 15:16
But the only thing is you don't own the store, not to mention the convenience of owning it INSIDE the house....

Well its items u dont use mostly. some are located ard the island if u pick 1 near u. if u use it often then it should not be in storage anyway..

Well have to strike a balance forking out 100-200K to store or storage base on utility basis. find something that work best.. maybe u have 4 luggage. most of the time u use 1. well other 3 can put in storage for example. once a year need all 4 then go take it out n use.

sunboy77
20-05-13, 15:31
Well its items u dont use mostly. some are located ard the island if u pick 1 near u. if u use it often then it should not be in storage anyway..

Well have to strike a balance forking out 100-200K to store or storage base on utility basis. find something that work best.. maybe u have 4 luggage. most of the time u use 1. well other 3 can put in storage for example. once a year need all 4 then go take it out n use.

Good point.

Sometimes we agents also argue in the same line regarding properties not near MRT: We ask clients whether it is worthwhile paying $200k more to be located nearer to the MRT station? $200k can easily get you another Merc C class with change... (Of cos, this logic only applies to buying-for-own-stays)

There are some debates regarding this. What do you think?

Cupcakes
20-05-13, 15:32

first time i agree your statement. :D

hopeful
20-05-13, 16:47
Good point.

Sometimes we agents also argue in the same line regarding properties not near MRT: We ask clients whether it is worthwhile paying $200k more to be located nearer to the MRT station? $200k can easily get you another Merc C class with change... (Of cos, this logic only applies to buying-for-own-stays)

a counterpoint: that $200k can have capital appreciation?

sgbuyer
20-05-13, 17:10

Does mickey needs storeroom?

:doh:

sunboy77
20-05-13, 19:00

Haha this is good counter argument too .

felicia_sg
20-05-13, 20:13
When you need the vacuum cleaner, go storage facility to take back & return there after use? :doh:

felicia_sg
20-05-13, 20:17
Good point, fork out $200k for storeroom got capital appreciation.
Fork out even $100k for storage facility got capital appreciation or not? Rather, you are paying rental to other people to own their property!

gav108
20-05-13, 20:55
Fork out even $100k for storage facility got capital appreciation or not? Rather, you are paying rental to other people to own their property!

hahaha. gd point. fully agree. i am all for a storeroom. even for my bachelor's pad i buy a two bedder with a home shelter to have enough space for my stuff.

vacuum cleaner, pail, luggage, ladder, mop, broom, tools, ironing board, winter clothing etc etc...storeroom/home shelter is great for all these. having all these things is hoarding meh :doh:

Never Underestimate the flexibility of storeroom space compared to cupboard space.

storeroom for less clutter!!! :spliff:

ysyap
20-05-13, 21:55
hahaha. gd point. fully agree. i am all for a storeroom. even for my bachelor's pad i buy a two bedder with a home shelter to have enough space for my stuff.

vacuum cleaner, pail, luggage, ladder, mop, broom, tools, ironing board, winter clothing etc etc...storeroom/home shelter is great for all these. having all these things is hoarding meh :doh:

Never Underestimate the flexibility of storeroom space compared to cupboard space.

storeroom for less clutter!!! :spliff:Its really on personal preferences. I went to so so many showflat or visited HDB units. Most have this mirror or some form of feature wall to conceal the HS so the HS door will not be seen (ugly). Now, inside this HS, I'll probably erect a huge shelf to properly keep my stuff or boxes, etc. HS merely allows somebody to step inside to store stuff. Like a walk-in wardrobe which allows people to step in to take clothes.

My personal preference is to have the same amount of cabinet and shelving spaces outside the HS, from floor to ceiling with nice feature wall or mirrors, etc. No need to walk in so save cost on land area. Such cabinets can also be nicely designed to fit the running theme inside the house. Those luggage (stuff not used frequently) can be placed at the top shelf (2.8m up) while vacuum cleaners, etc (frequently used items) can be placed at the bottom shelf. Just my personal opinion! :cheers6:

gav108
20-05-13, 22:27
Its really on personal preferences. I went to so so many showflat or visited HDB units. Most have this mirror or some form of feature wall to conceal the HS so the HS door will not be seen (ugly). Now, inside this HS, I'll probably erect a huge shelf to properly keep my stuff or boxes, etc. HS merely allows somebody to step inside to store stuff. Like a walk-in wardrobe which allows people to step in to take clothes.

My personal preference is to have the same amount of cabinet and shelving spaces outside the HS, from floor to ceiling with nice feature wall or mirrors, etc. No need to walk in so save cost on land area. Such cabinets can also be nicely designed to fit the running theme inside the house. Those luggage (stuff not used frequently) can be placed at the top shelf (2.8m up) while vacuum cleaners, etc (frequently used items) can be placed at the bottom shelf. Just my personal opinion! :cheers6:

truly it's personal preference.

what i m trying to say is that given the cubic volume of the storeroom, you can easily shift the interior spaces over the years to cater to your needs.

external storage tend to be shallow in depth and not so adjustable.

as for 'wasted' walk-in space, at most it's 1 square meter of walk-in space 'wasted' if you fully utilise the storeroom.

better to watch out for those huge air-con ledges, planters, long corridors and entrance foyers :2cents:

also, some hobbyists turn it into a nice enclave to store and display their wine, figurines, vintage toys etc. on shelves.

狮子王
23-05-13, 11:42
There are many ways to make storage spaces. For example, you can make a false wall with compartments behind for your stuff:

Many ideas from this site I stumbled upon last time when I want to hide my gold bars:

http://architectscorner.info/2013/04/30/hidden-storage-ideas-for-living-rooms/

狮子王
23-05-13, 11:45
There are many ways to make storage spaces. For example, you can make a false wall with compartments behind for your stuff:

Many ideas from this site I stumbled upon last time when I want to hide my gold bars:

http://architectscorner.info/2013/04/30/hidden-storage-ideas-for-living-rooms/

In fact, you will be amazed at how much storage space you can create from a studio unit just by careful planning with your ID before your renovation works ;) wink wink.

minority
23-05-13, 16:24
When you need the vacuum cleaner, go storage facility to take back & return there after use? :doh:

cock. stuff u dont use then u move there! Do I need to teach u this basic logic! :doh: :doh: :doh:

minority
23-05-13, 16:25

200K I save put into stocks. wont tat be better. Well some people dont have 200K spare too. rather take a lower cost leasing model for that space. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

minority
23-05-13, 16:27

Well can.. but if dont have 200K or LTV cannot make the 200K then have to give up the store is one option.

if $ not problem then go for it!

minority
23-05-13, 16:34
Good point.

Well depends. actually for own stay right... the diff is cash.. house u can loan.. the car can u loan 200K at the same interest as ur house?

but if can save 200K loan and reduce the loan per mth and that helps reduce ur leverage then is ok. also near MRT usually 99yrs LH.. if ur are comparing a older FH unit..

anythingwhatever
04-07-17, 23:29
Most new condos nowadays are without Store Room, headache...

Arcachon
05-07-17, 00:39
Most new condos nowadays are without Store Room, headache...

They call it helper or Maid Room.

Developer
05-07-17, 13:55
Get some outdoor storage / cupboard and place it at one end of your balcony.

anythingwhatever
05-07-17, 21:48
They call it helper or Maid Room.

Helper or Maid Room only found in the larger units (3br+) of older condos (built before 2010).

New ones no longer has it. :)

anythingwhatever
05-07-17, 21:52
Get some outdoor storage / cupboard and place it at one end of your balcony.

Both 1 bedders are 409 sqft:

Top: old design with HS,
Bottom: new design without HS.

Which design is better? :)

https://www.singaporeexpats.com/singapore-property-pictures/floorplan/guillemard-edge/floorplan-TypeA.jpg
https://www.simsurbanoasis-guocoland.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Sims-Urban-Oasis-1-bedroom-409sqf.jpg

teddybear
05-07-17, 22:13
No room for maid to sleep, so I suppose they should not be allowed to employ maid?

https://www.singaporeexpats.com/singapore-property-pictures/floorplan/guillemard-edge/floorplan-TypeA.jpg
https://www.simsurbanoasis-guocoland.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Sims-Urban-Oasis-1-bedroom-409sqf.jpg

Arcachon
05-07-17, 22:35
No room for maid to sleep, so I suppose they should not be allowed to employ maid?

Can share a room with the Master.

tonymontana
05-07-17, 22:58

the one without the HS is better.
Btw, I think it's not a question of new or old, those "new" condo without HS just have their HS in the staircase.
It depends on architectural plans and other requirements where the HS goes. Every new condo are required to have a HS
To me the HS inside a MM unit is a waste of space.

anythingwhatever
05-07-17, 23:28
Can share a room with the Master.

Can sleep on (IKEA) Sofa Bed in Living Room. :)

http://m.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/spr/59089415/

http://www.ikea.com//sg/en/images/products/beddinge-lovas-three-seat-sofa-bed__0325808_PE543696_S4.JPG

anythingwhatever
06-07-17, 08:54

Actually you are right, remember MOM rules say that Maids must be provided a bedroom...

Hence 1 bedder owners can't hire maid unless they themselves sleep in the Living Room. :p