PDA

View Full Version : No drastic price drop for HDB flats: Khaw

reporter2
08-05-13, 16:50
http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/monday/premium/top-the-news/story/no-drastic-price-drop-hdb-flats-khaw-20130506

OUR SINGAPORE CONVERSATION

No drastic price drop for HDB flats: Khaw

He acknowledges that flats are an asset for many homeowners

Published on May 06, 2013

By Charissa Yong

ADDRESSING fears that homeowners may lose their retirement nest eggs should prices of flats plunge, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said yesterday that he wants to lower the prices of flats by just "a few per cent" over the next few years.

Mr Khaw did not specify if he was referring to new or resale flats, but he acknowledged that any price drop should not be too drastic.

"For many people, it's an asset... if their house suddenly devalues by say 30 per cent, their dream of downgrading and still having some money in the bank (for retirement) will suddenly vanish," he told participants at an Our Singapore Conversation (OSC) dialogue on housing.

Speaking in Mandarin, he reiterated that the prices of public flats will not rise forever.

"If housing prices keep rising, it won't be good. If we can maintain them or even lower them by a few per cent, for example 5 per cent, that's good. When I came into MND (Ministry of National Development) two years ago, that was my target," he said.

The debate over whether public flats should be homes foremost or assets first has been raging since March, when Mr Khaw broached the subject in Parliament.

He added then that he wanted to bring down the prices of new flats in non-mature estates by about 30 per cent.

At the OSC session at Singapore Press Holdings' News Centre, organised by Lianhe Zaobao, much of the dialogue focused on this topic.

Many of the 40 participants rejected the idea of selling back new flats only to the Housing Board, as this would limit the profit homeowners can make, as opposed to selling their flats on the open market.

Mr Khaw also clarified his recent comments that "something is wrong somewhere" with the executive condominium (EC) scheme. He said his bugbear is that EC owners still receive government subsidies despite making huge profits.

In principle, he does not oppose the idea of EC owners making a tidy sum when they sell their units.

Turning to first-time buyers, he emphasised that every newly- wed couple would be able to afford public housing. This is because the HDB is able to set the prices of new flats ever since they were "de-linked" from the prices of resale flats.

But Mr Khaw acknowledged that engineering a similar price drop for resale flats, especially a gentle one, may not be so easy.

"Resale flat (prices) are different because they're decided by the market," he said.

"If you want to sell a flat for $700,000 or $800,000, how can we stop you? No way."

SLP International executive director Nicholas Mak, who attended the OSC session, speculated that one way to dampen resale prices could be to lower the prices of Build-To-Order flats in the same estate.

But this would be a "zero-sum game", as homeowners who previously bought flats at higher prices would not be happy.

[email protected]

phantom_opera
08-05-13, 17:03
Kenobi-wan finally acknowledged that Dark Side of market is too strong for him

His last hope is a young Jedi

teddybear
08-05-13, 17:25
Didn't I already said that they made a big mistake saying HDB flats are overpriced by 30%?

Now he changed to maintain to max drop of 5%!

What then is the reality?
Think is still gradual increase inline with inflation, until they can make inflation negative, property price will not drop. :p

radha08
08-05-13, 18:17
i have a lot of respect for kbw his job is NOT easy to do:cheers1:

teddybear
08-05-13, 18:25
Me too, he is much much better than Tharman!

i have a lot of respect for kbw his job is NOT easy to do:cheers1:

kane
08-05-13, 18:38
This is a welcomed affirmation.

Arcachon
08-05-13, 23:59
5 room HDB val at SGD 595,000 in 2012. Rent for SGD 2400 a month, SGD 28,800 a year. It have a balance of 83 yrs .If rent out for the rest of the 83 yrs SGD 2.39 million. HDB is really too cheap.

HDB price drop, just let Private property owner buy HDB sure stop the drop.

radha08
09-05-13, 15:38
5 room HDB val at SGD 595,000 in 2012. Rent for SGD 2400 a month, SGD 28,800 a year. It have a balance of 83 yrs .If rent out for the rest of the 83 yrs SGD 2.39 million. HDB is really too cheap.

HDB price drop, just let Private property owner buy HDB sure stop the drop.

1million dollar brand new pc rent out 3'5 kpm thats 42k per year rent out for 95 years u get 4 million so how :rolleyes:

zzz1
09-05-13, 16:43
1million dollar brand new pc rent out 3'5 kpm thats 42k per year rent out for 95 years u get 4 million so how :rolleyes:

How about a freehold condo... Let say also 3.5 k per months...

My maths very jalat,.... Infinity multiply with 3.5k , what you get hur?? :D

zzz1
09-05-13, 16:45

He knew which bigger portion of ppl will be not happy if he really bring the the prices...or can he ?

eng81157
09-05-13, 16:56

a gold coffin when you pass into the afterlife - you don't last forever, not at least here on earth

zzz1
09-05-13, 17:20
a gold coffin when you pass into the afterlife - you don't last forever, not at least here on earth
Gold coffin ? U left coffinless...ppl exhumed and put u on grass patch beside...

We all know, as far as in SG, will not be fore ever ..

chestnut
09-05-13, 18:02

"Golden rice bowl for future generation if taken care of properly".

Hahahahaha:D

DKSG
09-05-13, 18:15

Yes! Get a D9 FH PC, this Golden Rice Bowl will benefit your generations after generations, until u reincarnate come back still there.

Imagine those people who bought Orchard Road properties in the 80s ?

Until now, some enbloc still managed to negotiate back one unit in the same development.

DKSG

zzz1
09-05-13, 22:31

Bro, long time no hear from you...
very much in coverage in indo still ??

Arcachon
09-05-13, 23:54
No land is freehold in Singapore.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?p=131354

LAND ACQUISITION ACT
(CHAPTER 152)

kane
10-05-13, 00:07
Maybe next time there's only bungalow and condos and nothing in between. No rerrace and semi d. Haha.

chestnut
10-05-13, 00:19
Bro, long time no hear from you...
very much in coverage in indo still ??

Have to travel other countries.... Hahahaha... But super lazy leh...

Cheers...

chestnut
10-05-13, 00:21
No land is freehold in Singapore.

http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?p=131354

LAND ACQUISITION ACT
(CHAPTER 152)

Bro, in the past I will agree with u. But today, govt pay according to market value. So no prob... :D :D :cheers5: :cheers3:

kane
10-05-13, 00:32
Bro, in the past I will agree with u. But today, govt pay according to market value. So no prob... :D :D :cheers5: :cheers3:

but i think his point isn't about the money, it's about the fact that you may not own it forever in the form of freehold.

Sam88
10-05-13, 08:55
but i think his point isn't about the money, it's about the fact that you may not own it forever in the form of freehold.

But u can own a property "forever" by repurchasing after govt purchase. Unless of course if govt change the