PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia, Singapore In Final Stages Of Plans For Proposed Rapid Transport System -- A

vboy
02-05-13, 17:46
Malaysia, Singapore In Final Stages Of Plans For Proposed Rapid Transport System -- Abdul Ghani
By Tengku Noor Shamsiah Tengku Abdullah

SINGAPORE, May 2 (Bernama) -- Malaysia and Singapore are in the final stages of their plans on the proposed rapid transport system (RTS) that will enhance people-to-people links between both countries.

It was reported earlier both countries had agreed to go ahead with the RTS linking Johor Baru and the republic and they had a year to draft the plans on the preferred option for the RTS.

Johor Mentri Besar, Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman, said the two countries were now in the final stages in the preparation for the RTS.

"The proposed alternative will be finally presented to the two governments including the design, taking into account also the costing.

"Before year-end, I would imagine both governments will decide on the type of RTS to be implemented with the schedule completion by 2018," he told reporters after taking a bus together with Malaysians working in Singapore at Jurong East Bus Terminal here today.

Abdul Ghani said the RTS would ensure that lots of people could move speedily to and fro.

He said both governments were also trying to explore the most efficient checkpoint and immigration quarantine (CIQ) just like Europe, where there was one stop at one CIQ, "so it may be a joint CIQ as well."

"A joint CIQ would realise the optimum objective of having the proposed mode of transport linking Johor Bahru and Singapore," he said.

Abdul Ghani said when Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak visited Singapore during the Leaders Retreat with his Singaporean counterpart Lee Hsien Loong in February this year, "in the Joint Ministerial Meeting, which I am a member of it, we have been briefed on the possible options (of the RTS design)."

"I would not want to say all the possible options. The consultants had been asked to come out with all the possible options.

"They have spent time doing these consultations in the last two years and it has been exhausting," he said.

He said upon completion of the RTS, travelling between Malaysia and Singapore, at least on the causeway side, would definitely be more efficient, with lots of people will be moved via RTS

"The capacity will be enough, the speed will be fast enough and people moving to and fro Singapore will be more efficient.

"That will definitely reduce the congestion that cause as a result of the daily usage of the causeway or the second link," he said.

Abdul Ghani said based on his observation when following Malaysians working in Singapore, he noticed it has been quite a long journey to go to work and back to Johor.

"But the flow of bus is comfortable enough and make it easy for them to go to work into Singapore and (back) Johor, I notice a high percentage of Malaysians do work in Singapore," he said.

-- BERNAMA

hyenergix
03-05-13, 06:59
This RTS will benefit both sides tremedously. Expect the following:

1. More Malaysian workers coming to Singapore to work. This will relieve the foreign workers restriction.
2. More Singaporeans going to Johor to shop or stay.
3. (1) above will increase the Johoreans' household income and together with (2) above, property prices in Johor will increase.

The missing piece is the MRT/KTM/monorail network already in the Johor government's masterplan. I think it could be revived a few years later and get linked to the CIQ (hopefully). http://www.iskandarmalaysia.com.my/pdf/cdp/19._Chapter16_-_Transit_Oriented_Development.pdf

The 1st link should also be upgraded to handle the increased traffic.

eng81157
03-05-13, 10:57
please lah,both countries just awarded a multi-million contract this year to embark on a study to look at the feasibility.

now in final stages of confirmation??!??!?? typical malaysian politician :doh: :doh:

NorthernStar
03-05-13, 11:48
please lah,both countries just awarded a multi-million contract this year to embark on a study to look at the feasibility.

now in final stages of confirmation??!??!?? typical malaysian politician :doh: :doh:
:doh: sigh...where is your news of the contract awarded this year?
http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/11/16/business/12325879&sec=business

the feasibility study already done in last Nov.. the location of the stations at both side of the causeway are known to public.. What he said is the final detailed plan..